User Reviews (420)

• I'm a 53 y old married man, and I saw this film on Monday with my wife. I went back to see it AGAIN on Tuesday, I loved it so much. Also, I teared up so badly on the first viewing, I needed a second fix to catch the parts I missed! Beautifully filmed, this is a must see for any adult still in touch with their inner "Christopher Robin". The scenes of Ewan McGregor sitting with Pooh on a log overlooking Ashdown Forest will stay with me forever (and I need a hankie now, just thinking about it!)

10/10 is not enough!
  • ijacobs318 August 2018
    As a nearing 40 dad, who works endless hours to make ends meet and make sure my family has the best of everythijg I can give them, taking my daughter met to watch this movie, not only had me in tears by the end, it made me think hard about what / where I'm heading in life, and what I'm missing out on in family time

This movie was amazing! Fantastic CGI and a story line that not only tugs on the heart strings , it kicks you so hard in the feelings , that you actually wake up and think about what happened to you
  • I am a 56-yr old married white male and I went to see this film with my wife on a Saturday afternoon. I was blown away by the acting, the CGI, the storyline as well as the "life-lessons". The cinematography is superb with sweeping panoramas (vistas), gorgeous colors combined with stunning CGI.

Ewan McGregor gives an exceptional & very believable performance, and the newcomer Bronte Carmichael as Christopher Robin's daughter-Madeline.

This film is very family friendly: no violence, no profanity, no sex.

I can recommend this film to any/all fans of A.A. Milne's stories
  • This was the first movie in ages where they did not focus on a romantic relationship but rather exploring relationships between friendship and family. Though, I do believe that the movie isn't suiting for very young viewers. As it might seem boring to them or rather the message conveyed isn't about them. Christopher Robin forgets about being happy due to his workaholic nature, this could really relate more to high school, college or working people. But, overall it's a great movie! It's great for laughs, reminiscing and a little tears
  • What day is it? Why it is today, my favorite day. I am a life-long Disney fan. While it is not surprising I loved seeing the characters from the Hundred Acre Wood come to life via CGI transformation, I was surprised to see A.A. Milne's beloved characters in their original book form, not their Disney animation form.

Christopher Robin does not spend a lot of time introducing the viewer to the characters from the idyllic forest where a young British boy spent time creating adventures with his friends - Winnie the Pooh, Tigger, Piglet, Eeyore, Rabbit, Owl, Kanga and Roo. If one is not a Disney-phile, it may be hard to comprehend why a boy arrives from a tree to have picnics with animals.

That said, the Winnie the Pooh, Disney lover that I am, saw so much love in this film with its themes of friendship, love, family and tenderness. The vintage, live-action look is appealing and kept me intrigued wondering what the "silly old bear" would do next. Winne the Pooh is quite the adventurous wanderer as he goes in search of Christopher Robin who has grown up and works in London. The adventures suspend belief as grown-up Christopher Robin, well played by Ewan McGregor, originally annoyed by Pooh, remembers some of his favorite things, like "doing nothing" and realizing true north is his family and friends, plush or live.

As a grown man who has returned from World War II, married to Evelyn (Hayley Atwell) and father of a daughter, Christopher Robin is an efficiency manager for a luggage company or "a fish in the sea" as Winnie the Pooh says. He is a work-a-holic and has a taskmaster as a thankless boss. When told he must work rather than go on holiday to the country with his family, Christopher Robin attempts to take Pooh back to the forest where he and his woodsy friends awaken the lost child from within. They also meet his daughter Madeleine (Bronte Carmichael) and another adventure ensues. Madeline assists Pooh in getting to Christopher Robin when he needs all of them most.

For a franchise, which has historically targeted the very young, the film has melancholy themes. Visually, it is beautiful with its artistic production values and cinematography. The score is also very good. I give this film 4.5 out of 5 stars for the casting, cinematography, life lessons, amazing cult Winnie the Pooh references and music. I recommend it to ages 8 to 18, due to some mature themes. Reviewed by Kimbirly O., KIDS FIRST! Adult Juror.
  • sharad-seth12 August 2018
    I have been reading reviews on IMDB for many years now... but never ever was I tempted to write one - till now. And I created my IMDB login just for this. What an amazing movie this was. Deepest life lessons explained through a very simple yet profound, a very well-known yet new-found character in the shape of Winnie. Everyone acted very well, including the young Madeline. But Winnie the Pooh just steals the show. And rightfully so. Go watch it to remember your earlier self. Or your present self. Maybe both. "What day is it, Christopher Robin?", asks Pooh. "It's today", he replied. "Well it's my favourite day...", Pooh concludes.
  • I'm usually in accord with critic reviews, but I honestly do not understand the low ratings this movie is getting. Christopher Robin (2018) is gorgeously filmed, beautifully acted, and emotional without being overtly sappy. In my opinion, this is one of the most enjoyable films of the year, and I am sure that audiences will find its odd blend of gloom and whimsy to be delightful. 9/10
  • ellieonlife25 August 2018
    Wonderful movie with gorgeous cinematography perfect for children and adults alike. Sweet as honey and will tug at your heartstrings in an unexpected way. You may shed a tear or 2
  • See this movie with your kids for what it is, a charming escape from from reality for a little while. Don't over think the plot and characters like the critics are trying to do. Just get some popcorn and relax.

Oh, and the animation is excellant.
  • muvbuff-4573717 August 2018
    Christopher Robin is a truly great and heartwarming film about the importance of family and friends on one's life. Not only written incredibly well and acted perfectly, the film has a lot of realism to it, even with talking stuffed animals as part of the cast. Blending very real everyday hardships with fantasy gives the film a contrasting look at how bleak the world is when we don't realize what is truly important and tells us to remember our childhoods and try to be a better parent by being a kid with your kids. Overall, the film displays a heartfelt message with a cast of fun characters from an iconic series and does so very well and I suggest you go out and see this movie.
  • megancremins3 August 2018
    I was in tears for the duration of the movie. If you're a fan of pooh, you'll love this movie. Some original songs were brought back which made the movie unforgetable.
  • ThomasDrufke22 August 2018
    Christopher Robin got next to zero marketing and had little buzz surrounding its release. It's almost as if Disney wanted to put their efforts elsewhere because they weren't sure on who to market the film to. Well, to their credit, that's exactly how the movie felt to me. A mixture of adult themes with characters acting to cater towards children is a difficult line to market to. Especially since it's almost impossible to define who the actual target audience would be, even after I've seen it. Even with that said, I really adored this film. Full of nostalgia from familiar voices to just the satisfying feeling of watching a old fashioned Disney story unfold in live action form. Winnie the Pooh is an all-time great character in the Disney lore and he is beyond perfect in this film, with Jim Cummings returning to do voiceover once again. Does it take a little bit to get going? Sure, but it finishes with dazzle. The magic of Christopher Robin and the Hundred Acre Wood is absolutely back.

7.8/10
  • lozanoderrick22 August 2018
    Disney turned out another good one this time. The animation of Pooh and Friends was way better on the screen then what I expected from the promo photos. Although the movie does tend pace of the slower side of things, Winnie and Christopher's interaction was charming and enjoyable to watch. Winnie the Pooh's character was simple, humorous, and logical. He could see right through Christopher's poor attitude as to how he chooses to live his life. However, I felt that this movie may have been tough for young children to understand in it that Winnie the Pooh did dole out soundly advice for Christopher to not be so caught up in his work and forget about having fun and spending time with his family. The parallels of Christopher transforming into that of a young boy as Pooh had seen him, was definitely something that young kids could not extract from the movie. Besides this, the movie was a great family movie that had a great evolving plot and some nostalgic short scenes that had a nod to the Disney cartoon classics in the '90's.
  • I grew up as a kid with The Winnie the Pooh cartoon so when I heard about this film I had a real interest and this film is just a really good feel good film with an important message especially for families. The premise of the film sees a grown up Christopher Robin tracked down by Winnie the Pooh to help find their friends. Ewan McGregor plays Christopher Robin and I thought he did a great job. He has a really tough job as he has to come across as quite a miserable character that you aren't meant to root for but he is just such a likeable actor. His journey throughout the film though cliche is really well done and feels appropriately done. The supporting cast is great Hayley Atwell plays Robin's wife and I thought she does a good job in the film, she just fits this role very well and I liked her and McGregor's chemistry in this film. I thought the actress that played their daughter also did a really good job especially for a child actress. All the favorite characters are back and I really liked the portrayals of all of them, Tigger, Piglet, Eyore are all really well achieved. But the standout of this film has to be Jim Cummings voicing Winnie The Pooh, this was the perfect portrayal of this iconic character. He is just ridiculously lovable and charming, His role in the film is perfect and I truly loved this character. The story has a great message about growing up, and living life to the full that can be great for young children and family. However, this film is incredibly predictable and cliche and to watch this film as an adult it is clear to see and hurts the overall flow of the film. The script has some really charming humor in it that is fun especially with these iconic characters. Also when used the drama actually has some importance to it and works well. The style has some really well done designs especially for Winnie The Pooh. However, I didn't like the design of Tigger as it isn't orange enough which just didn't fit with me . Overall this is a great feel good film that should be watched especially by young kids.
  • I usually don't read other reviews of films I review. After all, I have 60+ years of heavy moviegoing as my resource..but tastes do vary. In this case, I understand that if you're needing jumpcuts, cookie-cutter plots, easy places to text or other things, this isn't your movie. As well, if you missed the memo about how this WASN'T a sequel to any other movie, this isn't your movie either.

It is, though, one of the finest movies I have ever seen of any genre, and one of the most emotionally moving. For this reason I would note for parents that your parenting skills will be tested here; if your kids have no attention span, are fidgety, have iphone addiction, they won't like this movie. But it most assuredly is a movie for all ages, just not for all mentalities. There are actual lessons here for children, real ones; lessons for adults, important ones; lessons for employers; and most of all, lessons to the viewer.

I would recommend that those interested see this movie quickly, since L. Ron Hubbard's man's success in the opening week has cut this film's run short. To not see the magnificent cinematography and vistas (some CGI but you cannot tell) in their proper setting. It emphatically is not a TV or Smartphone movie.

On to the posse: Tigger, Kanga and Roo, Owl, Eeyore, Rabbit, Piglet and Pooh all get good screen time, have excellent character showings and are wonderfully voiced. As long as you bear in mind (no pun) the real characters' personalities, which are all on display here, they all ring true. Ewan McGregor gives what might be his career performance, and newcomer Bronte Carmichael is radiant, as is Hayley Atwell. But this is Ewan, Bronte and Pooh's movie, and they do it justice. Just a wonderful film. Sorry if it's "too slow" for some tastes.
  • As an admirer of Ewan McGregor, and a big fan of Winnie-the-Pooh; I was very excited to see this movie. I found it an enchanting story of a grown up Christopher Robin dealing with life issues in mid- 20th century England. He has a wife and child who he !oves, but mostly ignores due to his work. He has forgotten his childhood and special friends until Pooh comes to London needing help locating his missing friends. They go back to the hundred acre wood to look for Pooh's missing friends. Once found, his friends from the hundred acre wood help him remember how to be happy, and what is really important in life. That story isn't new, but it is brought to wonderful new life by terrific acting by Mr. McGregor, Haley Atwell, and Bronte Carmichael. The CGI animation of Pooh, Piglet, Eeyore, Tigger, and the rest of the gang is a delight. They are lovingly brought to life by the talents of Jim Cummings, Brad Garrett, Nick Mohammed, and others. The scenes where they cut to the original drawings are just wonderful. Highly recommend this film for children and adults....and anyone who loves Winnie-the-Pooh.
  • philipfilmz22 August 2018
    Amazing
    I have been a long time fan and this movie was terrific, completely keeping the magic alive. Metacritic are idiots for giving this a 59/100.
  • **WARNING: I get a little bit into what some of the characters do and don't do, even though I don't really get much into the overall story.**

Disney's Christopher Robin serves as a companion piece to Goodbye Christopher Robin in that they play different parts of CR's life. Goodbye Christopher Robin takes place during his childhood and has small parts of him growing to a young adult by the end, and Disney's Christopher Robin spends the first ten minutes advancing through his raising years rather quickly so we can get to his adulthood. Outside of the source material, the comparisons of the two films stop there. Disney's Christopher Robin is much more family-oriented fiction, whereas Goodbye Christopher Robin is slightly more adult-themed nonfiction. I'll say that at my age, as much as I loved both films at their cores, I did prefer one over the other.

Now, let's address "the Heffalump in the room" here: This film will receive nearly unanimous praise and everyone who reads this will adore by what they just saw on screen by the time the last page reads "THE END." You will see the 9's and 10's pour aplenty on here, and they will be absolutely justified to the point that I won't disagree with a single thing that they say, truly. I am no different, as while watching this I tapped into early childhood memories of me watching the Winnie the Pooh cartoon. All of the feels were there and they were strong. Parents and children had a joyous experience with the entire film, and my face may even hurt from smiling too much. I will mostly let every other review speak on that, though. I want to try and touch on the moments that others may have trouble expressing or just won't bother to, and explain away how my score (for better or worse) is emphasized by other elements of the film that may or may not have personally worked for me as well.

When I say the words "mixed bag" I'm not referring to the quality of what was on screen, just how my head coped with what was on screen. Every issue I have with the film is mostly not a film issue at all, but rather it is my conflicted mind wondering what kind of film I expected to watch. Having just come off of Goodbye Christopher Robin not one year ago, I was trying to decide whether I was watching yet another biopic of sorts here, or if this was just a fictional fantasy adventure. When it initially seemed like it wanted to be the former, eventually it revealed that it was going to be the latter, and boy they went the whole nine yards with that. Upon first glimpse CR is just letting his imagination run wild with him, but alas it turned out that these stuffed animals are not inanimate, but actually alive and talking. Yes, beneath the surface one can decide to create allegories for the animals' lively spirits representing something larger than they actually were, but in the last half hour of the film it feels like a very shallow version of: "Nope, they're real... accept it and move on." The tone shifted sort of fast without warning into something a bit childish, and not in the absolute best way. It kind of hit a wall with me, because initially they were going so well with what just felt like the imagination route, and I feel I would have preferred that much more. Then again, when I was a child I think I saw the animals more as actual animals and not stuffed objects in CR's imagination, so if I'm a kid watching this film I don't think this is a demerit in any way at all. Sadly, I'm now a thirty-year-old man critiquing a lovable children's film to the bitter end, possibly undeservedly so.

Which leads me to my next personal predicament: I didn't know which lens I was supposed to view this film from. I hate to make the immediate comparison, but Goodbye Christopher Robin strictly stuck to one tone and allowed me to find perspective as an audience member for where I belonged watching it. This film begins with a young CR and the playful animals expressing their personalities to the fullest, so I began watching it as the cartoon and all was fitting. Then a bit of time goes by without the animals to set up CR's current status in the workplace, with his family, and even with a neighbor (whose tiny intermittent "subplot" feels strangely incomplete, unless there was an after-credits scene). During this early stage I figuratively heard children shuffling in their seats, and I literally heard a young girl ask: "Where's Pooh Bear?" Given the expectation the trailers appeared to provide (which I avoided before seeing the film), you'd understand why the youthful ADHD crowd can get a bit restless with the slow pacing of these moments.

Then later Pooh appears and all is righted again, but I sit and wonder where kids are with this bear and his furry friends, because I legitimately do not know. Do they know him in name only but have not read the books or watched the old cartoons? Are they familiar with the animals' voices, quotable lines and unique mannerisms? It's not exactly an ongoing marketed icon anymore, and they might be too busy in front of their Smartphones anyway to know why we who grew up with them find every moment so wondrous. So again, here is where I'm completely out of the know: if children are not as well-versed with the characters at large, I wonder if they'll get as much out of this film as I would if I was there age, or as I did now. Don't be too alarmed, though! There are still plenty of moments to make this movie enjoyable for all ages, whether or not you are privy to all that which is Winnie the Pooh.

Oh yes, Pooh Bear: he was perfection. It's clear that the screenwriters know him very well as to make sure that every piece of dialogue that he says has this poetry about it, accompanied justly with Jim Cummings' original voice work. Every third line that he says will give you a chuckle, whether he is wittily responding to CR or talking to himself. We get a "Think think think" and more than enough honey references (which you can never have enough of). His humor is very deadpan and it works best when you see his innocent beady eyes conveying those words with that little mouth. I'll admit that I miss the cartoon design, but they took enough creative liberties to blend the real stuffed animal with the cartoon version and you get the best of both versions. He is both dependent and dependable, both nescient and thought-provoking, both wanting to make you laugh and cry. I cried exactly two times in this film, and both had to do with a Pooh spoken line or spoken action. They needed to capture this for the film to work, and they did it ever so well.

Eeyore and Tigger were also both real hits and exact representations of their cartoon selves. I would say that Eeyore will win over more with the adults when it comes to his dark and depressing lines (again, this is also one of those times where "if you understand the characters already it works much better"). Tigger gets to bounce, sing and laugh, all with original J.C. voice work and that really means something to me. The misses to me came with Piglet and Rabbit, which although it's unfortunate that their original voice actors have passed away they did not do enough to get close to those voices either. Rabbit always reminded me of a Squidward in the cartoon (I know that SpongeBob came afterward), but had no such notions here... just a couple of "I'm healthy and like things clean" kinds of lines. He also wasn't heavily featured, alongside Owl, Kanga and Roo. Piglet was mostly fine, but was missing the voice, never let out an "Ooooh, d-d-d-d-dear," and never really let his fearfulness become an affecting part of the story. Good thing Pooh made up for most of it, and honestly I could have completely done without the other characters and would have been just fine... yet at the same time Tigger and Eeyore's direct inclusions were too good to pass up.

Ewan McGregor was convincing and looked like he had a great time with the role. Hayley Atwell kind of got to sleepwalk through her mother/wife role as she didn't have much to do, the daughter was good but was in the wrong film for focus on her end (even though they try and maintain that theme throughout, it's not explored very fully), and literally every other character was over-the-top and may have fit with this film but were also outlandish and exaggerated to the point that I really didn't care. As I was saying before, keep this as CR and Pooh having adventures and I would be none the wiser as to the rest of it.

I hope that you can take my review as just very level-headed. There were just a few too many things I found to either be inconsistent, or at the very least made me perceive it as such. That might be more a fault of mine than a fault of the film's, but that's why I get my own vote on here and others will get theirs. My last minor quip was slightly mentioned before, but the overall pacing was pretty slow. I was okay with that, but I am trying to speak for the masses. I think Goodbye Christopher Robin was a film that was lighter on its feet regarding the pace, but it also is a little less kid-friendly since its focus is not on the animals (and never gives life to them, imaginable or otherwise).

Despite the things I've pointed out, I think you can chalk them up as personal issues only, and I can't recommend this film enough. I mean it's Winnie the Pooh, for heaven's sake... of course it will be lovable! My audience applauded at the end, and I did right alongside them. It has something for everybody, and plenty of it. It almost seems sinful to dismiss this film in any sort of way, and don't let my score be an indication of how much I actually did love moments of this film and urge everyone to go check out and see, specifically if you have children, a connection with the characters, or simply if you have a soul. Yet if you missed out on Goodbye Christopher Robin, I also recommend that you see it at some point for something that is probably less fictionalized and slightly more adult-oriented.
  • This movie is amazing on so many levels. The movie talks about friendship, growing up, kids innocence, today's rat race, leaving friends, watching world with simple-illusion eyes and so much. It really depends on how you see it. And CGI and the voice over of Pooh which really translated the sadness and loneliness of Pooh on screen.

A True family movie, because it is for everyone in your family!!!
  • As what my title says, Disney should stick to what it knows best.

Amazing story of friendship and family values. The settings, the mood, the music.. its just wonderful.
  • 'CHRISTOPHER ROBIN': Three and a Half Stars (Out of Five)

A live-action/CGI fantasy film, from Disney Studios, about a grown-up Christopher Robin, who's lost all of his childhood imagination, so he's visited by his old stuffed-bear, Winnie the Pooh, in order to help him get it back. The film stars Ewan McGregor, Hayley Atwell, Bronte Carmichael, and the voices of Jim Cummings and Brad Garrett. It was directed by Marc Forster, and written by Alex Ross Perry, Tom McCarthy, Allison Schroeder, Greg Brooker and Mark Steven Johnson. The movie has disappointed at the Box Office (slightly) so far, but it's gotten mostly decent reviews from critics. I enjoyed it, and I found parts of it to be really magical and even touching at times. It's somewhat slow-paced though, and not nearly as nostalgic as it seems like it should be (or could have been). Still, it's a decent enough family film I think though.
  • A.A. Milne's Winnie the Pooh stories captivated me as a child and they are still wonderful stories through young adult eyes. The stories epitomise childhood innocence, the atmosphere is enough to enchant everybody regardless of gender and age and the characters are some of the most charming in children's literature (Disney's treatment of them as some of their most famous ever creations is every bit as special).

Wanted to see 'Christopher Robin' from the very start, being as big a fan as all things Winnie the Pooh. Despite giving away too much of the film for my liking, the trailer did look good and the charm and childhood innocence did shine through even with the obvious melancholic tone that comes with growing up and forgetting. Ewan McGregor has big talent as an actor, the idea was such a great one and Winnie the Pooh is just such a great character that is impossible to dislike. Also wanted to see where abouts in the mixed to positive critical reception it would land in, though a few negative reviews, from reviewers usually trusted by me, put me off a little.

Am so glad about following my gut instinct and watching the film. 'Christopher Robin' has its faults, and is not as good as the 60s-70s short films, 'The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh', the series 'The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh' and a few of the films that came after, but is really lovely in its own way with plenty for children and adults like.

'Christopher Robin' is not perfect as has been said. It does drag and loses its warmth and charm with the family and workplace scenes of the first half, which came over as over-sentimental and dreary, with few surprises having been done numerous times in the same way. A shame when the opening scene was so charming and sweet, and relatable for any child growing up. Anybody expecting a lot of depth shouldn't really, only Pooh and Christopher Robin, done beautifully on both counts, grow here really.

Mark Gatiss does overdo his weasel-like (or should we say woozle-like) character for my liking, an unsubtle stereotype and played with even less subtlety that it gets annoying. Would have liked more of some of the Hundred Acre Wood characters, half underused especially Owl and Kanga.

Had no problem with most of the voice work, but always did find Peter Capaldi to be an odd choice for Rabbit (under-characterised here) and still do, basically it's Doctor Who with a London-ish accent and it doesn't fit Rabbit.

However, the opening scene is full of the childhood innocence, warmth and charm one expects from Winnie the Pooh and those qualities do pick up once Pooh re-appears and even more so when the other Hundred Acre Wood characters are re-introduced. Much of 'Christopher Robin' is full of nostalgia and there are some lovely gently humorous touches, especially with Tigger and even more so Eeyore who has some of the best lines. There is a melancholy and wistfulness that is both appealing and moving, Pooh does bring tears to the eyes and his interplay, one of the film's biggest strengths, with Christopher is sweet and humorous.

Present also are nice glimpses of the original drawings and the nostalgia is created mainly by the numerous references to the stories and the previous Winnie the Pooh incarnations (the exchange between Christopher and Pooh concluding the opening scene, getting lost, Heffalumps and Woozles, the balloon, a couple of the songs from the 1960s-1970s short films to name a few). The Hundred Acre Wood characters are not far off from their original personalities, particularly Eeyore and Tigger, the only reservation being Rabbit and perhaps Piglet could have been a little more timid.

Throughout 'Christopher Robin' looks lovely, with handsome period detail, photography that is a mix of purposefully grim to idyllic and a beautifully rendered and quite faithful Hundred Acre Wood. The effects for Pooh and co. are delightful and looks great, maybe not quite how Disney portrayed them visually but not far off from the original drawings of the stories, of which the spirit is captured beautifully once in the Hundred Acre Wood, and their conditions of being forgotten for so long obvious in a realistic fashion. The eyes are not quite expressive, though not creepy, but the characterisations and how they interact and move are certainly expressive. The music is whimsical and melancholic, while the story falters with the family and workplace scenes early on but is charming, warm-hearted and poignant everywhere else. The script is thoughtful and affectionate and Marc Forster, perfect for the job and bringing the same qualities he did for 'Finding Neverland', directs sympathetically.

Ewan McGregor does a great job here, a hard role to balance quite a number of emotions and reacting against nothing for much of the film but it is a nuanced performance, stern and uptight at first but mellows into childlike wonder. Basically it is a great portrayal of forgetting fond memories and finding them again, learning things along the way, with a few nice life lessons, that allows the character to grow, apparent in the heart-warming ending. Hayley Atwell is a rootable presence and Bronte Carmichael is a star in the making. Making more of an impression is the voice acting. Brad Garrett is a standout as Eeyore, sadness at its funniest. Nick Mohammed doesn't quite match the giant shoes left by John Fiedler, having voiced Piglet from the very beginning until his death in 2005, but the sweetness and timidity is captured nicely. Best of all is Jim Cummings, he's been voicing Pooh and Tigger since the late 80s and the experience shows. He has not lost Tigger's humour and liveliness but it's as Pooh where he is particularly wonderful, having not moved me to tears this much until now.

Overall, very nicely done and definitely well worth watching once it gets going. 8/10 Bethany Cox
    When I saw the trailer for this movie, I had to see how it holds up to its lore. What I found was not a kids film. Sure, it could appeal to kids, but if you paid attention the message was for the parents and older audiences. It shows too. My theatre was entirely 21+ despite it being dinner time at a dine in cinema. The message within focused on Christopher going through a mid life crisis of sorts- losing himself and struggling to see what's really important/forgetting to have fun and spend time appreciating the little things and the people you love (self care, anyone?). It was even a little dark at times. I love what they did with heffalumps! Would recommend and willing be getting this on blu Ray.
  • Yes, the whole Hook-ish "work-oriented, joyless man rediscovers his inner child" schtick is pretty predictable in this. However, Pooh and friends are done so well that it doesn't matter that much. (Also, it's a lot better attempt than Hook.)

The film does a great job of capturing Pooh and company. The dialogue and Pooh's longtime voice actor perfectly capture his way of being unintentionally wise and likable. Eeyore, voiced by Everybody Loves Raymond's Brad Garrett, is the second best part as he is hilarious in here. The other occupants of the Hundred Acre Wood don't appear as much but they stay true to the characters. Ewan McGregor does a great job as Christopher Robin, which is especially impressive seeing as the actor was speaking to no real people half the time.

The movie is quite funny. The scenes of CH trying to be a good man in a misguided way and his eventual awakening all surprisingly work more than they should have. The movie manages to balance childhood innocence while not talking down to adults. In fact, they insert a couple osurprisingly dark moments into the events that lead to adult CH's adult personality.

However, the reason I didn't give this a higher rating is the conclusion, or rather the conclusion to the workplace side of CH's story. Basically, he spends the movie trying to reduce costs so his business doesn't have to lay people off. The resolution to this crisis comes out of a lesser-made children's film. It is completely trite, forced, and way too saccharine.

The movie looks great. The combination of the character designs of the cartoon and the original book work surprisingly well. The cinematography in the 100 Acre Wood is quite eye-catching. Although filmed on location, the scenes have manage to have a magical quality to them. The background music is also effective. Unfortunately you never hear the Winnie-the-Pooh song sung. I recommend you wait till the second song in the end credits. It's a nostalgic little number from classic Disney composer Roger Sherman (Mary Poppins, Jungle Book).
  • What a lovely film this is. Heartwarming and great for all ages. Disney went back to the original look characters from the books and it really worked. You could relate to them exactly as you have read and seen them before but as convincing lifelike toys rather than cartoons. The theme throughout the film although predictable and nothing out of the ordinary, you find yourself wanting this and it follows the simple plots you want from it. Funny in some places, emotional in others, it was beautifully written and acted out. Tigger was hilarious and eeyore as depressed as ever but the whole mix of the characters made it a great experience. I could have easily sat and watched it again as could my 10yr old son. Definitely an absolute classic and will be in my dvd collection when it comes out.