User Reviews (333)

• I am a 56-yr old married white male and I went to see this film with my wife on a Saturday afternoon. I was blown away by the acting, the CGI, the storyline as well as the "life-lessons". The cinematography is superb with sweeping panoramas (vistas), gorgeous colors combined with stunning CGI.

Ewan McGregor gives an exceptional & very believable performance, and the newcomer Bronte Carmichael as Christopher Robin's daughter-Madeline.

This film is very family friendly: no violence, no profanity, no sex.

I can recommend this film to any/all fans of A.A. Milne's stories
  • ijacobs318 August 2018
    As a nearing 40 dad, who works endless hours to make ends meet and make sure my family has the best of everythijg I can give them, taking my daughter met to watch this movie, not only had me in tears by the end, it made me think hard about what / where I'm heading in life, and what I'm missing out on in family time

This movie was amazing! Fantastic CGI and a story line that not only tugs on the heart strings , it kicks you so hard in the feelings , that you actually wake up and think about what happened to you
  • What day is it? Why it is today, my favorite day. I am a life-long Disney fan. While it is not surprising I loved seeing the characters from the Hundred Acre Wood come to life via CGI transformation, I was surprised to see A.A. Milne's beloved characters in their original book form, not their Disney animation form.

Christopher Robin does not spend a lot of time introducing the viewer to the characters from the idyllic forest where a young British boy spent time creating adventures with his friends - Winnie the Pooh, Tigger, Piglet, Eeyore, Rabbit, Owl, Kanga and Roo. If one is not a Disney-phile, it may be hard to comprehend why a boy arrives from a tree to have picnics with animals.

That said, the Winnie the Pooh, Disney lover that I am, saw so much love in this film with its themes of friendship, love, family and tenderness. The vintage, live-action look is appealing and kept me intrigued wondering what the "silly old bear" would do next. Winne the Pooh is quite the adventurous wanderer as he goes in search of Christopher Robin who has grown up and works in London. The adventures suspend belief as grown-up Christopher Robin, well played by Ewan McGregor, originally annoyed by Pooh, remembers some of his favorite things, like "doing nothing" and realizing true north is his family and friends, plush or live.

As a grown man who has returned from World War II, married to Evelyn (Hayley Atwell) and father of a daughter, Christopher Robin is an efficiency manager for a luggage company or "a fish in the sea" as Winnie the Pooh says. He is a work-a-holic and has a taskmaster as a thankless boss. When told he must work rather than go on holiday to the country with his family, Christopher Robin attempts to take Pooh back to the forest where he and his woodsy friends awaken the lost child from within. They also meet his daughter Madeleine (Bronte Carmichael) and another adventure ensues. Madeline assists Pooh in getting to Christopher Robin when he needs all of them most.

For a franchise, which has historically targeted the very young, the film has melancholy themes. Visually, it is beautiful with its artistic production values and cinematography. The score is also very good. I give this film 4.5 out of 5 stars for the casting, cinematography, life lessons, amazing cult Winnie the Pooh references and music. I recommend it to ages 8 to 18, due to some mature themes. Reviewed by Kimbirly O., KIDS FIRST! Adult Juror.
  • See this movie with your kids for what it is, a charming escape from from reality for a little while. Don't over think the plot and characters like the critics are trying to do. Just get some popcorn and relax.

Oh, and the animation is excellant.
  • I'm usually in accord with critic reviews, but I honestly do not understand the low ratings this movie is getting. Christopher Robin (2018) is gorgeously filmed, beautifully acted, and emotional without being overtly sappy. In my opinion, this is one of the most enjoyable films of the year, and I am sure that audiences will find its odd blend of gloom and whimsy to be delightful. 9/10
  • muvbuff-4573717 August 2018
    Christopher Robin is a truly great and heartwarming film about the importance of family and friends on one's life. Not only written incredibly well and acted perfectly, the film has a lot of realism to it, even with talking stuffed animals as part of the cast. Blending very real everyday hardships with fantasy gives the film a contrasting look at how bleak the world is when we don't realize what is truly important and tells us to remember our childhoods and try to be a better parent by being a kid with your kids. Overall, the film displays a heartfelt message with a cast of fun characters from an iconic series and does so very well and I suggest you go out and see this movie.
  • megancremins3 August 2018
    I was in tears for the duration of the movie. If you're a fan of pooh, you'll love this movie. Some original songs were brought back which made the movie unforgetable.
  • I usually don't read other reviews of films I review. After all, I have 60+ years of heavy moviegoing as my resource..but tastes do vary. In this case, I understand that if you're needing jumpcuts, cookie-cutter plots, easy places to text or other things, this isn't your movie. As well, if you missed the memo about how this WASN'T a sequel to any other movie, this isn't your movie either.

It is, though, one of the finest movies I have ever seen of any genre, and one of the most emotionally moving. For this reason I would note for parents that your parenting skills will be tested here; if your kids have no attention span, are fidgety, have iphone addiction, they won't like this movie. But it most assuredly is a movie for all ages, just not for all mentalities. There are actual lessons here for children, real ones; lessons for adults, important ones; lessons for employers; and most of all, lessons to the viewer.

I would recommend that those interested see this movie quickly, since L. Ron Hubbard's man's success in the opening week has cut this film's run short. To not see the magnificent cinematography and vistas (some CGI but you cannot tell) in their proper setting. It emphatically is not a TV or Smartphone movie.

On to the posse: Tigger, Kanga and Roo, Owl, Eeyore, Rabbit, Piglet and Pooh all get good screen time, have excellent character showings and are wonderfully voiced. As long as you bear in mind (no pun) the real characters' personalities, which are all on display here, they all ring true. Ewan McGregor gives what might be his career performance, and newcomer Bronte Carmichael is radiant, as is Hayley Atwell. But this is Ewan, Bronte and Pooh's movie, and they do it justice. Just a wonderful film. Sorry if it's "too slow" for some tastes.
  • As an admirer of Ewan McGregor, and a big fan of Winnie-the-Pooh; I was very excited to see this movie. I found it an enchanting story of a grown up Christopher Robin dealing with life issues in mid- 20th century England. He has a wife and child who he !oves, but mostly ignores due to his work. He has forgotten his childhood and special friends until Pooh comes to London needing help locating his missing friends. They go back to the hundred acre wood to look for Pooh's missing friends. Once found, his friends from the hundred acre wood help him remember how to be happy, and what is really important in life. That story isn't new, but it is brought to wonderful new life by terrific acting by Mr. McGregor, Haley Atwell, and Bronte Carmichael. The CGI animation of Pooh, Piglet, Eeyore, Tigger, and the rest of the gang is a delight. They are lovingly brought to life by the talents of Jim Cummings, Brad Garrett, Nick Mohammed, and others. The scenes where they cut to the original drawings are just wonderful. Highly recommend this film for children and adults....and anyone who loves Winnie-the-Pooh.
  • **WARNING: I get a little bit into what some of the characters do and don't do, even though I don't really get much into the overall story.**

Disney's Christopher Robin serves as a companion piece to Goodbye Christopher Robin in that they play different parts of CR's life. Goodbye Christopher Robin takes place during his childhood and has small parts of him growing to a young adult by the end, and Disney's Christopher Robin spends the first ten minutes advancing through his raising years rather quickly so we can get to his adulthood. Outside of the source material, the comparisons of the two films stop there. Disney's Christopher Robin is much more family-oriented fiction, whereas Goodbye Christopher Robin is slightly more adult-themed nonfiction. I'll say that at my age, as much as I loved both films at their cores, I did prefer one over the other.

Now, let's address "the Heffalump in the room" here: This film will receive nearly unanimous praise and everyone who reads this will adore by what they just saw on screen by the time the last page reads "THE END." You will see the 9's and 10's pour aplenty on here, and they will be absolutely justified to the point that I won't disagree with a single thing that they say, truly. I am no different, as while watching this I tapped into early childhood memories of me watching the Winnie the Pooh cartoon. All of the feels were there and they were strong. Parents and children had a joyous experience with the entire film, and my face may even hurt from smiling too much. I will mostly let every other review speak on that, though. I want to try and touch on the moments that others may have trouble expressing or just won't bother to, and explain away how my score (for better or worse) is emphasized by other elements of the film that may or may not have personally worked for me as well.

When I say the words "mixed bag" I'm not referring to the quality of what was on screen, just how my head coped with what was on screen. Every issue I have with the film is mostly not a film issue at all, but rather it is my conflicted mind wondering what kind of film I expected to watch. Having just come off of Goodbye Christopher Robin not one year ago, I was trying to decide whether I was watching yet another biopic of sorts here, or if this was just a fictional fantasy adventure. When it initially seemed like it wanted to be the former, eventually it revealed that it was going to be the latter, and boy they went the whole nine yards with that. Upon first glimpse CR is just letting his imagination run wild with him, but alas it turned out that these stuffed animals are not inanimate, but actually alive and talking. Yes, beneath the surface one can decide to create allegories for the animals' lively spirits representing something larger than they actually were, but in the last half hour of the film it feels like a very shallow version of: "Nope, they're real... accept it and move on." The tone shifted sort of fast without warning into something a bit childish, and not in the absolute best way. It kind of hit a wall with me, because initially they were going so well with what just felt like the imagination route, and I feel I would have preferred that much more. Then again, when I was a child I think I saw the animals more as actual animals and not stuffed objects in CR's imagination, so if I'm a kid watching this film I don't think this is a demerit in any way at all. Sadly, I'm now a thirty-year-old man critiquing a lovable children's film to the bitter end, possibly undeservedly so.

Which leads me to my next personal predicament: I didn't know which lens I was supposed to view this film from. I hate to make the immediate comparison, but Goodbye Christopher Robin strictly stuck to one tone and allowed me to find perspective as an audience member for where I belonged watching it. This film begins with a young CR and the playful animals expressing their personalities to the fullest, so I began watching it as the cartoon and all was fitting. Then a bit of time goes by without the animals to set up CR's current status in the workplace, with his family, and even with a neighbor (whose tiny intermittent "subplot" feels strangely incomplete, unless there was an after-credits scene). During this early stage I figuratively heard children shuffling in their seats, and I literally heard a young girl ask: "Where's Pooh Bear?" Given the expectation the trailers appeared to provide (which I avoided before seeing the film), you'd understand why the youthful ADHD crowd can get a bit restless with the slow pacing of these moments.

Then later Pooh appears and all is righted again, but I sit and wonder where kids are with this bear and his furry friends, because I legitimately do not know. Do they know him in name only but have not read the books or watched the old cartoons? Are they familiar with the animals' voices, quotable lines and unique mannerisms? It's not exactly an ongoing marketed icon anymore, and they might be too busy in front of their Smartphones anyway to know why we who grew up with them find every moment so wondrous. So again, here is where I'm completely out of the know: if children are not as well-versed with the characters at large, I wonder if they'll get as much out of this film as I would if I was there age, or as I did now. Don't be too alarmed, though! There are still plenty of moments to make this movie enjoyable for all ages, whether or not you are privy to all that which is Winnie the Pooh.

Oh yes, Pooh Bear: he was perfection. It's clear that the screenwriters know him very well as to make sure that every piece of dialogue that he says has this poetry about it, accompanied justly with Jim Cummings' original voice work. Every third line that he says will give you a chuckle, whether he is wittily responding to CR or talking to himself. We get a "Think think think" and more than enough honey references (which you can never have enough of). His humor is very deadpan and it works best when you see his innocent beady eyes conveying those words with that little mouth. I'll admit that I miss the cartoon design, but they took enough creative liberties to blend the real stuffed animal with the cartoon version and you get the best of both versions. He is both dependent and dependable, both nescient and thought-provoking, both wanting to make you laugh and cry. I cried exactly two times in this film, and both had to do with a Pooh spoken line or spoken action. They needed to capture this for the film to work, and they did it ever so well.

Eeyore and Tigger were also both real hits and exact representations of their cartoon selves. I would say that Eeyore will win over more with the adults when it comes to his dark and depressing lines (again, this is also one of those times where "if you understand the characters already it works much better"). Tigger gets to bounce, sing and laugh, all with original J.C. voice work and that really means something to me. The misses to me came with Piglet and Rabbit, which although it's unfortunate that their original voice actors have passed away they did not do enough to get close to those voices either. Rabbit always reminded me of a Squidward in the cartoon (I know that SpongeBob came afterward), but had no such notions here... just a couple of "I'm healthy and like things clean" kinds of lines. He also wasn't heavily featured, alongside Owl, Kanga and Roo. Piglet was mostly fine, but was missing the voice, never let out an "Ooooh, d-d-d-d-dear," and never really let his fearfulness become an affecting part of the story. Good thing Pooh made up for most of it, and honestly I could have completely done without the other characters and would have been just fine... yet at the same time Tigger and Eeyore's direct inclusions were too good to pass up.

Ewan McGregor was convincing and looked like he had a great time with the role. Hayley Atwell kind of got to sleepwalk through her mother/wife role as she didn't have much to do, the daughter was good but was in the wrong film for focus on her end (even though they try and maintain that theme throughout, it's not explored very fully), and literally every other character was over-the-top and may have fit with this film but were also outlandish and exaggerated to the point that I really didn't care. As I was saying before, keep this as CR and Pooh having adventures and I would be none the wiser as to the rest of it.

I hope that you can take my review as just very level-headed. There were just a few too many things I found to either be inconsistent, or at the very least made me perceive it as such. That might be more a fault of mine than a fault of the film's, but that's why I get my own vote on here and others will get theirs. My last minor quip was slightly mentioned before, but the overall pacing was pretty slow. I was okay with that, but I am trying to speak for the masses. I think Goodbye Christopher Robin was a film that was lighter on its feet regarding the pace, but it also is a little less kid-friendly since its focus is not on the animals (and never gives life to them, imaginable or otherwise).

Despite the things I've pointed out, I think you can chalk them up as personal issues only, and I can't recommend this film enough. I mean it's Winnie the Pooh, for heaven's sake... of course it will be lovable! My audience applauded at the end, and I did right alongside them. It has something for everybody, and plenty of it. It almost seems sinful to dismiss this film in any sort of way, and don't let my score be an indication of how much I actually did love moments of this film and urge everyone to go check out and see, specifically if you have children, a connection with the characters, or simply if you have a soul. Yet if you missed out on Goodbye Christopher Robin, I also recommend that you see it at some point for something that is probably less fictionalized and slightly more adult-oriented.
  • mblakey333 September 2018
    I would say Christopher Robin is set to touch the Adult's more then the children. If you grew up like me 80's and 90's Winnie The Pooh was a Saturday Disney must watch. This movie was a beautiful take on what happens when Christopher grows up and becomes an adult in the working world. The voices sound remarkably similar to the original which gave us old fans some great memories. A dark/sad start but a bright and happy end.
  • ellieonlife25 August 2018
    Wonderful movie with gorgeous cinematography perfect for children and adults alike. Sweet as honey and will tug at your heartstrings in an unexpected way. You may shed a tear or 2
  • I grew up as a kid with The Winnie the Pooh cartoon so when I heard about this film I had a real interest and this film is just a really good feel good film with an important message especially for families. The premise of the film sees a grown up Christopher Robin tracked down by Winnie the Pooh to help find their friends. Ewan McGregor plays Christopher Robin and I thought he did a great job. He has a really tough job as he has to come across as quite a miserable character that you aren't meant to root for but he is just such a likeable actor. His journey throughout the film though cliche is really well done and feels appropriately done. The supporting cast is great Hayley Atwell plays Robin's wife and I thought she does a good job in the film, she just fits this role very well and I liked her and McGregor's chemistry in this film. I thought the actress that played their daughter also did a really good job especially for a child actress. All the favorite characters are back and I really liked the portrayals of all of them, Tigger, Piglet, Eyore are all really well achieved. But the standout of this film has to be Jim Cummings voicing Winnie The Pooh, this was the perfect portrayal of this iconic character. He is just ridiculously lovable and charming, His role in the film is perfect and I truly loved this character. The story has a great message about growing up, and living life to the full that can be great for young children and family. However, this film is incredibly predictable and cliche and to watch this film as an adult it is clear to see and hurts the overall flow of the film. The script has some really charming humor in it that is fun especially with these iconic characters. Also when used the drama actually has some importance to it and works well. The style has some really well done designs especially for Winnie The Pooh. However, I didn't like the design of Tigger as it isn't orange enough which just didn't fit with me . Overall this is a great feel good film that should be watched especially by young kids.
  • I really loved this movie and so did my kids. I was a bit nervous during the adult life part of the story because usually younger kids start to lose interest during those parts but even my 3 year old son was engaged through the whole movie. I laughed, I cried, I reminisced my childhood. This movie was well made and really depicted the Winnie the Pooh characters very well. Definitely a must see.
    Christopher Robin ends up saying farewell and in the going to boarding school. Forced to grow up even though he promised Winnie the Pooh and his friends he would never forget him. in a party to boarding school.

But he does grow up, goes to war, education, gets married, starts a family, and now has to place priority for his work over his family and on top of that, may have to layoff his staffers that are so loyal to him due to his not so caring and selfish boss. Or he himself would be let go. Placing him in such a huge between a rock and a hard place.

Also giving up the weekend to save his family in the cottage. As his wife and daughter go on. But his weekend will not be the kind of weekend he planned for it. It found him instead.

But then Winnie the Pooh trying to find his way and finding his honey after running out, his favorite food of course, He and Christopher begin to reconnect slowly yet surely.

You will find Piglet, Eyoh the wise but frail donkey, wisecracking Tigger, among others. As they try to get Christopher not to put his work over his family and fun as he tries to rediscover what is important.

Really it appeals to the children and kids at heart. You will not be disappointed. As a 40 something year old myself. Just don't take yourselves seriously as you do life.
  • ThomasDrufke22 August 2018
    Christopher Robin got next to zero marketing and had little buzz surrounding its release. It's almost as if Disney wanted to put their efforts elsewhere because they weren't sure on who to market the film to. Well, to their credit, that's exactly how the movie felt to me. A mixture of adult themes with characters acting to cater towards children is a difficult line to market to. Especially since it's almost impossible to define who the actual target audience would be, even after I've seen it. Even with that said, I really adored this film. Full of nostalgia from familiar voices to just the satisfying feeling of watching a old fashioned Disney story unfold in live action form. Winnie the Pooh is an all-time great character in the Disney lore and he is beyond perfect in this film, with Jim Cummings returning to do voiceover once again. Does it take a little bit to get going? Sure, but it finishes with dazzle. The magic of Christopher Robin and the Hundred Acre Wood is absolutely back.

7.8/10
  • philipfilmz22 August 2018
    Amazing
    I have been a long time fan and this movie was terrific, completely keeping the magic alive. Metacritic are idiots for giving this a 59/100.
  • Nothing but admiration for the actors, animatronics, and AAMilne's stories.
  • This was the first movie in ages where they did not focus on a romantic relationship but rather exploring relationships between friendship and family. Though, I do believe that the movie isn't suiting for very young viewers. As it might seem boring to them or rather the message conveyed isn't about them. Christopher Robin forgets about being happy due to his workaholic nature, this could really relate more to high school, college or working people. But, overall it's a great movie! It's great for laughs, reminiscing and a little tears
  • I'm a 53 y old married man, and I saw this film on Monday with my wife. I went back to see it AGAIN on Tuesday, I loved it so much. Also, I teared up so badly on the first viewing, I needed a second fix to catch the parts I missed! Beautifully filmed, this is a must see for any adult still in touch with their inner "Christopher Robin". The scenes of Ewan McGregor sitting with Pooh on a log overlooking Ashdown Forest will stay with me forever (and I need a hankie now, just thinking about it!)

10/10 is not enough!
  • lozanoderrick22 August 2018
    Disney turned out another good one this time. The animation of Pooh and Friends was way better on the screen then what I expected from the promo photos. Although the movie does tend pace of the slower side of things, Winnie and Christopher's interaction was charming and enjoyable to watch. Winnie the Pooh's character was simple, humorous, and logical. He could see right through Christopher's poor attitude as to how he chooses to live his life. However, I felt that this movie may have been tough for young children to understand in it that Winnie the Pooh did dole out soundly advice for Christopher to not be so caught up in his work and forget about having fun and spending time with his family. The parallels of Christopher transforming into that of a young boy as Pooh had seen him, was definitely something that young kids could not extract from the movie. Besides this, the movie was a great family movie that had a great evolving plot and some nostalgic short scenes that had a nod to the Disney cartoon classics in the '90's.
  • Kpancost22 August 2018
    I am a life long fan of Winnie-the-Pooh. This movie was spot on from the characters to the setting, which looked exactly like the actual Milne house and real 100 Acre Wood. (Yes, I've been there.) Take extra Kleenex.
    There are a lot of things that could have been done wrong with this tale. There could have been an effort to put a lot of tasteless humor in it. It could have tried too hard to be dramatic. Disney could have gotten too much production and special effect into it. That was not done, this is a charmingly told tale.

They got the fine direction from the director of the classic "Finding Neverland" and the film benefits from his direction. They put together a writing team that left the heart of all the Pooh Characters in the story. Then they got Ewan MacGregor to play the adult Robin as well as any actor could.

Robin leaves the 100 acre woods and grows up. As he grows up, he seems to have put his work ahead of his family and his childhood friends. This tenderly done tale tells of how he gets reminded of where he came from and why he should get his priorities straight. This is a great movie for the kids to get introduced to these charaxters, of for us adults to get reminded of how magical the Poo was to us as youngsters. We can all enjoy a new classic Disney film.
  • A movie that feels a bit underwhelming, but it made a 200 lbs big guy cried in the theater. a movie reminds you of your passion, your friendship, and your family. a movie that didn't waste time, a 90 mins movie that makes you feel like you only sat there for 40 mins.

a movie that might makes young zoomers laught, but makes 30 year old boomers cries.
  • Being a 32 year old Male with no kids I went out of my way to go see this movie and let me tell you it didn't disappoint as voices and characters go Ewan McGregor did a great job Jim Cummings as himself in many different roles was amazing and the story itself was great. To be honest I think the story is literally just trying to tell you it's all about how you look at things in perspective and priorities and for that matter it really hit home it made me feel good it was funny sad and just overall enjoyable and I really could feel the struggle between the life of trying to live in this Rat Race compared to what should be important in this world. Acting was first class between everybody in the movie Winnie the Pooh delivered last left and right and you know what I would gladly go see this movie again Christopher Robin Orleans a very heartfelt huge clap in my eyes if you have any good memories of being a child and using your imagination or ever watching any of the Winnie the Pooh cartoons you would enjoy this movie