User Reviews (23)

• Alvaro Congosto Martinez13 November 2016
    Clever, elegant and excellently paced thriller
    There is not an extra word or an extra shot in Money. Everything is brilliantly calculated to take the audience on a smooth ride. There are no explosions or fireworks in here. It's all about humans making choices and making mistakes based on their darkest ambitions. I enjoyed very much the performances and how the script can flip the circumstances upside down in just a second. There is some kind of seductive coldness in this film. It didn't make me care particularly for any of the characters. Instead I was fascinated watching their actions and decisions. The film kept me intrigued until the very end. The premise is simple yet the unfolding is quite elegant and believable. I recommend this film to anyone that likes smart thrillers that rely on human psychology.
  • La Butaca Azul26 November 2016
    A very interesting and intense thriller
    It seems to me that 'Money' is a perfect, elegant and flawless product; a very stylized classic drama. While I was watching it, movies like The Rope (Alfred Hitchcock, 1948) or Wait Until Dark (Terence Young, 1967) came to my mind. The movie is concise, pragmatic and straightforward. Its goals are clear and they know how to reach them. Its message is, on top of that, beautiful, illuminating and not indulgent. The tension is built up in a superb manner for a movie that needs to keep us in suspense. And the director's work with the actors is sublime. With perhaps the exception of Kellan Lutz, more inexpressive, they are all splendid, and that makes the text shine and the credibility of what is taking place escalate. In that sense, the actor's direction is spectacular. At times, the necessity of filming hastily is noticeable, but not so much because of the editing, which is perfect, with just some isolated glimpses that can be observed. However, it is more noticeable in the staging: it looks like there wasn't time to plan a proper communicative meaning beyond what's functional. There is not a genuine relationship between the characters and the space, not a single shot provides more information than what the characters verbally announce. It would have been a spectacular movie if they had taken more risks in that sense. It would have been even better if they had what every movie lacks of: time! But, in spite of that, everything in 'Money' is believable, accurate and intense. Concision, focusing on a single location, a right pace in the dialogues, witty replicas and great performances are but a few of its virtues. In that sense, 'Money' is a complete success.
  • ricarnell22 November 2016
    Absolutely Loved It!
    I really didn't expect a lot from this film, having Googled the reviews, but it caught my attention from the get go. Not familiar with Bamber's work, but will be looking for more from him. Kept my attention for the duration & loved the ending. Highly recommend this film. Ranks way up there with the Thriller genre. A previous reviewer suggested that this was perfect for Christian Bale. Agreed. The other actors could have been anyone but acceptable for this assignment. Didn't really see the connection with the father in the opening scenes, but essential for the ending I suppose. Loved the interaction with the scorned wife & the psychopath while waiting for the safe to open.
  • Roman13 November 2016
    Great movie with impeccable dramatic development. From the presentation of the characters to their arrival to the house until the development of the past of each of them within it, the story is provoking in the viewers a continuous change of reference point and, therefore, fixation of your interest. Excellent management work of actors who manage to set the tone for each of the personal stories of each and an almost perfect casting for each of the roles. The film, whose development does not leave indifferent to the spectators by its continuous change of point of view of the history on the part of each one of its personages, ends of surprise form presenting / displaying a worthy end of the whole history.
  • michael-6869515 November 2016
    A thought provoking intellectual drama.
    "Money" is what happens when determined production creatives and talent come together and hold true to the art of film making. In the current environment where CGI/SFX often play a larger role than direction, talent and cinematography (on even the lowest budget fare), Money is a refreshing departure.

This is pure and simple story telling. Not flashy, not over produced. Straight to the point - I'm a fan. Martin Rosete gives up everything we need to know, then let's us decide for ourselves who's right by turning each character on their head. All of this is done with clever dialogue, solid performances by the cast and what essentially amounts to three locations - although the primary location accounts for 95% of the screen time which I think shows a lot of guts.

Well done!
  • Phil DelMazio13 November 2016
    A very suspenseful thriller
    In one word: "Wonderful"!

This motion picture had me engaged from start to end. The twists and turns in the plots keeps one guessing constantly as to what might come next. I often find film plots predictable and easy to figure out. Not "Money". Each action by one of the characters had me shifting where things may go next. The characters were very believable and properly cast for.

The fact that most of the film was set on one site was genius. The viewer of the film feels "captive" in the home/patio along with the two couples being terrorized by the surprise visitor.

The ending, which takes place in a much more urban setting, was totally unexpected, but welcome. A great surprise to cap the end of a very engaging film.

Looking forward to viewing this film a second time.
  • pgmfff22 November 2016
    Tension and intrigue from beginning to end
    A captivating tape. It catches you from the beginning and leaves you breathless until the end. With a simple but very effective staging the stage becomes a character of the plot. What stars out as a quiet situation is gradually becoming a succession of turns that rises up the temperature of the film; with a couple of memorable scenes that will remain in the retina after the viewing. Very sharp dialogues, that they will introduce you little by little in the plot until discover who is who, and that motivates to each of the characters. Very successful actors, especially noteworthy is the work of Jamie Bamber and Jess Weiner. Definitely a great movie that will surely catch you. I bet there will be great success for its director Martin Rosete.
  • Prabhat_KS_17299 November 2016
    A nice thriller with lots of dialogue. And a twist.
    'Money' is a well-made thriller flick revolving around some dough which is earned unethically by two white-collar friends. A smooth talking professional criminal gets a whiff of the dough and comes to snatch it upfront. But the plan goes haywire and the story takes a twist. Relationships are tested under stress and people don't remain same anymore. 'Money' somewhat reminded me of another great thriller from last year, 'The Invitation', which had somewhat similar settings and premise.

The movie ticks all the boxes of a good thriller with lot of dialogue and couple of twists thrown in. Script is well knit. The setting of the story is small and neat. Almost whole story is located in a posh residence and its neighborhood. Jamie Barber playing the suave professional criminal with a hard British accent provides a nice touch to the story. But there are a few unrealistic moments in the film where the director and writers took artistic liberty for sake of keeping the story thrilling. And the screenplay is a bit slow paced for a thriller.

It's refreshing to see Jess Wiexler in a serious role. I'm her fan since I saw 'Teeth' during my grad days. She has a substantial role in this story and it's satisfying to see her in a mature talking role.

All in all, 'Money' is a good one-time-see thriller which can be enjoyed anytime of the week and any hour of the day. Running for some 1 hour 20 minutes only it packs a decent return on time.

My vote: 6.5/10.
  • Jessica Lyn12 November 2016
    Fun and tense character-driving thriller
    After directing "Voice Over" one of the most successful and spectacular shorts of the last years with more than 100 awards, Martin Rosete directs his first feature film, "Money." The short is fantastic so the expectations for "Money" were pretty high and I wasn't disappointed.

The movie has an impressive cast that includes Jamie Bamber, Kellan Lutz, Jesse Williams and Jess Weixler. I thought they were all pretty great, specially Jamie Bamber and Jesse Williams. The film's limitations in terms of budget and location are not a handicap but an asset. Its clever dialogue and unexpected twists kept me guessing at the edge of my sit for an hour and a half.

If you are a fan of cat-and-mouse thrillers, "Money" is definitely for you.
  • Vince Benvenuto15 November 2016
    Well Directed, edge of your seat THRILLER!
    Really had my wife and I at the edge of our seats! We saw this film premiere at the Orlando Film Festival and were totally blown away! Jamie Bamber portrays the unconventional villain with great charm and charisma, it's impossible not to love him. A villain you want to root for and do. All of the 5 main characters have a strong arch. They each play the hero in some moments and the villain in other moments. Our allegiance to these characters is constantly shifting. Martín Rosete does a brilliant job in taking this well written story from start to finish with perfectly timed character introductions that keep us wanting to know more! Musical score sets the tone of the film from start to finish, never gives the audience the chance to look away. GREAT FILM!
  • ethanzeenath9 November 2016
    Early screening in NYC - Completely unexpected and fully engrossing!
    "MONEY" is a well-made, really exciting thriller that stays interesting despite the limited locations. This is one of those movies that I trilled I got to see as part of the closing night film at the Big Apple Film Festival in NY (where it ended up winning Best Film). The premise is pretty simple. Two guys (Kellan Lutz and Jesse Williams) and their significant others (Jess Weixler and Lucia Guerrero) are having dinner at their home in the Hamptons when Jamie Bamber shows up and the twists begin.

There are many smart choices in the movie, one of which is to keep the cast small. For most of the movie we only get 5 characters and that allows us to get to know them. You feel like you're inside the movie, studying everyone and trying to get the edge on them by observing their mannerisms and gauging their personality. While you're getting inside the characters' heads, a strong sense of urgency builds. I'm no criminal, but I know that with a robbery, you have to get in and get out quick. The longer the plot drags on, the worse it's going to get because you increase the chances of more things going wrong. After a while you realize there are no heroes or villains in this film. Because the characters are intelligent, they're always trying something new and it kept me guessing as to what was going to happen or be said next. It's really satisfying to see a movie where people act logically; always trying to sneak past each other's defenses (both physical and mental/emotional) and you'll constantly be surprised by the new elements introduced. "Money" is a terrific thriller that really cleverly uses its location, creates genuine thrills and exciting feelings of paranoia and claustrophobia too.
  • hewito9 November 2016
    Not really a thriller.
    Someone here wrote a 10/10 review and I can only think it was the writers or directors family member. This movie tries so hard to keep you guessing that at the end it becomes very plain(like the pastel filter used in this movie.,I am sure the budget of this movie was very low(too much if you ask me)as its filmed in just a few locations.You might think its simplicity would reflect a much thought out script but it fails to transfer any emotions. Maybe I am not hipster or young enough but this movie I will recommend to wait until it comes in DVD,throw the CD out and use the case to balance your table,that is all its good for.

• darrylmrl15 November 2016
    Movie fails miserably in its ending
    Gave this movie a 6 - as it executed very well throughout the main story - however it's ending has more flaws than the Pontiac Aztec. I have a huge issue with giving high marks to a movie that just can't execute on its landing. In the words of Teddy KGB - just like a young man coming in for a quickie ... I feel so unsatisfied. What is satisfying though is watching Jamie Bamber execute a Christian Bale like performance for his character John (a Patrick Bateman like character). A very well educated psychopath who's out to take what's his at whatever the cost. Christian Bale would be proud of Bamber's performance. Bamber was the MVP of this movie without question. The other actors could've been played by anybody and it wouldn't of mattered much. The most disappointing turn of events that didn't sit right with me -- was the wife's actions near the end of the movie. I won't spoil it - but you end up being betrayed by all the previous character development that had taken place. Maybe the moral of the story is that you really never know anybody?
  • Gino Cox12 November 2016
    Above-average DTV fare
    "Money" is a passable Monster-in-the-House/Heist-Gone-Wrong character-driven drama. It seems somewhat hampered by an obviously limited budget. About 95% of the action takes place in and around an isolated residence with a core cast of five people. Much of the story is relayed through dialogue; however, the dialogue is generally reasonably clever. Jamie Bamber, as the villain, largely drives the plot, with credible supporting performances by Jesse Williams, Lucia Guerrero and Fredric Lehne. Unfortunately, over-reliance on jiggly-cam shots is obvious and frequently distracting. The story doesn't break any new ground and several of the plot points are predictable. It doesn't have much to offer in the way of theme or character arcs and there really isn't a good protagonist to balance Bamber's villainy. For a film titled "Money," with an alternate title of "$," one would think they would at least get the stage money right. The bills look authentic, but there aren't nearly enough of them. What is supposedly five million dollars can't be more than half a million. As low budget direct-to-video fare, it's okay. It's watchable, but not a film one would want to view repeatedly to appreciate subtle nuances.
  • lavatch28 July 2017
    How Not to Play Moneyball
    In the "Behind the Scenes" segment of the DVD of "Money," the screenwriter Josep Ciutat identified his film concept as "normal people acting like gangsters." That is a perfect description of a set of nondescript characters struggling through a long night of amateur criminal activity.

The opening of the film sets the stage for a mundane experience that will soon escalate to the abnormal in the short space of twenty-four hours. A kind gardener takes the time to show Sylvia (Jess Weixler), the lady of the house, a few ballroom dance steps. It turns out that the gardener will figure prominently in the turbulent chain of events.

One of the memorable images of the film is that of the beautiful turquoise quetzal bird. Sylvia explains that her prized possession of the figurine of the quetzal represents the symbol of freedom in Guatemala. But the greatest threat to the bird is to be locked in a cage. It soon becomes clear that Sylvia herself is confined in the gilded cage of her opulent home that contains secrets and lies that will explode in the drama. The filmmakers have chosen an especially vulgar box-like home of Sylvia that does indeed resemble a cage.

Sylvia's husband Mark is involved in a scheme to sell his company's secrets to a rival organization. Mark and his buddy Sean believe they have pulled off the scam. Yet their elation turns to shock and despair when they are held hostage by a suave, smooth-talking hustler named John (Jamie Bamber), who seems to know every intimate details of their lives.

The confrontation between the intruder and the thieves unfolds like a group of rank amateurs trying to salvage the money and outfox one another. The dialogue is snappy, and the changes in fortune and the reversals are well-executed during the night in the home.

This low-budget thriller was clearly a compact and economical film production. In the bonus segment of the DVD, the director noted that the shoot was completed in only sixteen days. The film was especially well-crafted with small details like the Saul Bellow book that are effectively incorporated into the action. Above all, it was the character of Sylvia who was intriguing in the transformation that occurs over the course of the film. There is one turning point when she learns from her husband that their home is encumbered and that they are near bankruptcy. That moment is the catalyst for Sylvia to show her true (an rather distasteful) colors and to do something about escaping from her cage.
  • Michael Ledo5 July 2017
    The World Needs Great Literature
    Amazon has combined reviews of films with the same title. This is for the 2017 film.

Mark (Kellen Lutz) and Sean (Jesse Williams) work for big Pharma and are not beneath in dealing trade secrets which allows them to split $5 million dollars. Sean and Christina (Lucía Guerrero) who is Sean's girlfriend du jour, arrive for a get together with Mark and his wife Sylvia (Jess Weixler). The women do not know about the money. John (Jamie Bamber) the new neighbor shows up and changes the genre to a home break-in film.

The film was a conflict of characters. Kellen Lutz provided hit and miss acting. The drama scene in the kitchen with his wife was poorly scripted and the low spot of the feature. John and Sylvia were the likable characters, and Christina was confusedly written being educated, yet acting in a negative fashion.

Guide: F-word. No sex or nudity.
  • Tommy Shaw29 November 2016
    Why did I watch
    This is my first ever review, I started with this film as myself and my wife watched it only a few nights ago. I'm going to keep this pretty short and not so sweet, I wish I would of gone to sleep instead of staying up to watch this, there was nothing in this film that got me interested to see how it all turned out. There was a few occasions while watching this film that I looked to see what the time was to work out how long in the movie was left which is never a good sign in my book. On a small positive note there was a few small parts of the film which made me smile and have a little giggle even though I'm not sure as an audience we were meant to find this particular part funny but I did.

If your after a film to watch with your wife for date night I would recommend you skip this one.
  • Ron T.27 July 2017
    Somewhat of a miss
    The setup is promising: two young big pharma executives have just sold their company's trade secrets to a rival for a cool $5 million. Their celebration however, proves to be premature. A man posing as the next door neighbor has a different plan for the money. This is a good setup for what is in essence a psychological thriller, involving 5 characters and a gun.

However, despite good performances by all actors in this film (standing out is Jesse Williams with his very credible performance as a coke sniffing jerk), the plot has just too many twists and turns, pushing the boundaries of plausibility and eroding its credibility to the point where it seems artificially contrived and somewhat predictable. To begin with, the main antagonist, played by Jamie Bamber, is a villain who could also pass for James Bond with his suave look and British mannerism. He also knows too many intimate details about his heist victims, something which is never explained in the movie plot. And talking about a movie plot, there are just too many plot holes to count and sheer implausibility bordering on ridiculous, like the recurring "easily escapable situation" (as Austin Powers would put it), which opens the door for the twists.

Money is no Agatha Christie but in the end it is however a watchable movie and reasonable entertainment with its main strength coming from its cast. Bring your popcorn, don't think too much, and you may end up having a good time.
  • rodoval21 January 2018
    Lot of potential but fails to deliver
    Throughout the beginning and mid way of the film the story had a lot of potential, in my personal opinion the ending wasn't that good at all. But I guess that's just life, it doesn't need to be always fair.
  • joshjoyce16 November 2017
    Starts out interesting... Ends up awful
    This movie started out with so much potential... And then the unexplained gaps in the plot started. All of the momentum completely stopped. The last 30 minutes of the movie was awful... The ending was awful... Way too many loose ends. *spoiler alert* The ignorant and extremely rude wife ends up leaving with some of the money after all that...? This movie was trash.. How did anyone rate this above 2 stars?
  • rk-3216218 October 2017
    Thoroughly Entertaining
    The story is virtually the ultimate shooting fish in a barrel movie. The only question... who's the fish, and who has the gun? The back and forth power struggle tug-of-war goes from holding all the cards one second, to moments later being a blink away from losing it all.

A great little indie thriller that shouldn't be overlooked.
  • James Farmer12 November 2017
    Predictable Plot and Poor Acting Performances. Not to mention a ridiculous accent
    The film is watchable enough and passes the time quite easily. However the acting is abysmal and why oh why do we keep film-makers keep making the bad guy a middle aged pompous English twit, which an accent that is seldom heard in England unless one visits a Royal Palace. The accent was silly and affected and does not reflect how English people speak. Even the aristocracy do not sound like this. The acting performances and silly accents make the film very hard to take seriously, it is a wooden film with every plot turn expected and in some cases down right ludicrous. How anyone can possibly rate this film above 5 is beyond my understanding.
  • bel0012 November 2017
    to theatrical
    Not that this is a bad film. But there are number of things that are somewhat annoying: too much dialog, characters and situations that aren't really believable and a story that is somewhat predictable. Settings are OK, director tries to give a visual touch but the film smells to much like a stage play. But hey, the actors are OK and the story is still strong enough to keep your attention. All by all a film that is easy to see but also easy to forget.