• Following up the original from 2015, 'Unfriended: Dark Web' is technically a sequel, though an untethered one since none of the characters from the first film appear in it (if you've seen the first film, you understand why). This sequel makes use of the same inventive storytelling device, taking place entirely on one character's laptop screen.

We view everything through the protagonist's eyes (Matias) as he constantly toggles back and forth between Facebook chat, Wikipedia, Spotify and a Skype session with his closest friends on game night. This technique creates an authentic computer experience to which we can all relate. The beginning of the film wisely commits time to developing all the characters, making them all real, empathetic and just vague enough that we can superimpose our own friends on these avatars. A crucial seed is planted-we've all had nights begin this way. This could happen to any of us.

Debut director Stephen Susco (a veteran of horror writing) opts to open with a relaxing atmosphere for viewers to meet the friends. In this first act before anything scary is introduced, the characters reveal themselves to be interesting and worth caring about, which is not the case in most horror films. It's a strength in this one.

But what starts out as a pleasant evening, quickly grows worse. Matias reveals that he stole the laptop from the lost and found at the café where he works. The owner wants it back-seems reasonable. When Matias doesn't immediately acquiesce, the laptop's owner messages him, hacks his screen and threatens the life of him and all his friends-seems a little less reasonable.

This laptop owner, a seriously skilled hacker, is no joke. He operates on the dark web, a crime-riddled corner of the internet that exchanges heinous acts and millions in cryptocurrencies.

Suspense and anxiety build through Matias's frantic multi-tasking and breathless pauses as he stares at the three bubbles on Facebook chat, waiting for a response-an experience we have all had, though presumably with much lower stakes.

Once the online threats transition into real-life attacks, negative space on each friend's webcam easily lends itself to opportunities for someone to approach silently from behind. The computer screen-only viewing experience does nothing to limit the scares. If anything, the events unfolding become more terrifying because they feel contained and personal.

'Dark Web' exploits our fears about the internet-everything we do could be watched by someone else, someone we wouldn't want watching. We're vulnerable when we're online. Despite the risks, we knowingly share an enormous amount of information about ourselves with the world.

This knowledge makes all the events we witness in this movie feel plausible, even if a few of the hacker's tech tricks feel like convenient storytelling devices. The filmmakers are undoubtedly gambling that most viewers will not notice them amidst the escalating chaos that ensues. It's not a bad bet.

The film's greatest flaw in an otherwise strong movie, is that it's too bleak and too grim. Once we see the level of control the nefarious forces have over the Skyping friends, we cannot help but feel hopeless. It seems as though the outcome is never uncertain-it's only a matter of how and how long.

Nevertheless, this is a well-made and creative scary movie. It succeeds in being a movie that we need right now without ever blatantly declaring that's what it wants to be.

We should all probably be more careful online. Also, don't steal! This whole fiasco could have been avoided.
  • First I would like to say its not the best. Of course its not but for what it is it does it alright. Its tense, it makes you a little paranoid and it also doesnt have too much bad acting.

I'll tell you one of the best things about it is the fact it doesnt rely on ridiculous jump scares every 10 seconds like most horror movies these days. Its a slow build and I believe we need more of these kind.

What exactly were people expecting? It is exactly what it is and its done well.
  • cameronkaczmarek18 July 2018
    The movie not only outshines the first, but brings the story from supernatural to the real world. Dark Web is completely dark and twisted and it's something I, as a horror fan, loved. I think the highly negative impact of the first will lead to people not even giving this one a chance. I will say however if you don't like the computer screen storytelling format then you will not like the movie. Dark Web has many clever technology-based moments and has well thought out deaths. I wouldn't consider this a horror, but more of a thriller. Judging the movie based on the first without even seeing it is completed biased and should be given a chance.
  • I went into it expecting it to be like the first, which was complete and utter pathetic garbage. But interestingly, this one was better, not amazing, but definitely not as bad as its trashy predecessor. But how is it better? I'd like to say first that while I am saying certain aspects are better, its still not a perfect film. So one of the problems with the first was that it was just plain old boring, the story simply wasn't interesting. But the story in this one was at least a little bit more engaging. Another problem with the first one was that the camera use off putting, too many big faces, but thankfully this one expands on the first's cinematography and did make it watchable. Of course there will be people who won't watch it because of how bad the first one is, but take it from this horror movie veteran, it was passable. While I didn't like it as much as other horror gems of the last few years, I didn't walk out of the theater like I expected I would.
  • Tells the story about a teen who comes into possession of a new laptop and finds that it may have been stolen. He discovers the previous owner may be watching every move he makes and will do anything to get it back.

There is NOTHING to recommend about this film. It sucks from the first frame. There is no story and it drones on and on and on.

And here's another thing -- if you watch this on TV you wont b able to see any of the texts! I have a GIANT TV and couldnt read one. Whoever put money up for this film must be homeless by now.

It's atrocious.
    I almost never write reviews for a movie unless I really like it, or I really don't. In this case, I really don't. The scenes in this movie that were supposed to be scary, did not come across scary at all and almost comical at times. I never felt any emotional connection to the characters so killing them off one by one never really affected me. The beginning was kinda funny, but the plot is dragged down by the cliche horror movie protagonist that does not use logic whatsoever. On several occasions, the opportunity is given to the main character to end the entire situation, but instead makes some bonehead move to keep the plot alive. There was one point in the film where one of their freinds die and then they play cards against humanity like 5 minutes after- it was supposed to be serious but I found myself laughing at how unpractical that is. The very ending isn't complete garbage as the viewer is left helpless watching the protagonist suffocate. But overall this movie suffers from almost never being scary, no emotional connection, and characters who don't think logically.
  • Just seen this today in theaters, it was awful. The ending made no sense, the plot was ridiculous, and overall just a complete waste. I am an avid horror movie fan, to the point of obsession. The first one wasn't really bad at all, which is why i watched the second one, but if you still really want to see this, save your money and wait for it to be released.
  • First of all, the people giving 10 stars are out of their minds!!! The pace of this movie was extremely slow, Blumhouse clearly doesn't know how the deep web works and the story line was so weak I almost cried. I'm a horror movie fan (big one) I watch bad ones, good ones and classics... my standards for horror films are not the best (I'm easy to please) and this movie was the worst film I have ever watched from Blumhouse ever!!!! I just can't believe I spent money to watch it!! My husband fell asleep by my side at the theatre and all I wanted to do was to leave... but hey I paid 17$ so I might as well stay for this torture. If you loved the first movie you will be disappointed at this one (just like I am). First one was great, this one... meh... Bad writing, horrible pace and pretty much a bad story line .... I wish I could have my money back
  • BRIEF REWIND:

I rented Unfriended through Redbox and saw it with a date, and I'll give it kudos that we did not turn it off and even talked about it afterward. I can't in all good faith call it a good film, but it was the first of its kind that I had seen and I merely tolerated it. Unfortunately it fell into a lot of issues that start and end with the characters/actors, and the teeny-bopper horror elements that leave you laughing and eye-rolling almost as if they intentionally wrote and directed it that way made it extremely mediocre, forgettable, and worst of all passable. What seemed like it was serving its style as nothing more than a cheap gimmick, I easily would only rate it a 4/10, but I was on board as I watched it and it did not turn me away from seeing a sequel.

• - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

PRESENT DAY:

I didn't know anything about this sequel going into it, never mind the fact that I didn't even know it was a film until yesterday evening. But when the pre-screening invite fell into my lap, I bit the bullet and hoped for the best even though I planned for the worst. Needless to say, this was a pleasant surprise. Before I go on, I'm also going to strongly advise that you avoid the trailer at all costs for four reasons:

1) It spoils a lot of events (though leaves out the main overall plot of the film, which was nice). 2) It misinforms the audience of what kind of film it is (treats it like a pure horror when it is more of a thriller/suspense flick). 3) It edits a lot of items on the screencast that do not occur in a similar way in the actual movie, even down to colors and sound effects that are used. 4) It makes it look really bad.

I saw the trailer AFTER seeing the film by the way, and I'm glad that I did. I would have passed up this pre-screening if I saw that horrible trailer, and I would've felt like I've seen the entire film if so as well (yes, it does reveal several plot points).

I totally understand why this film has the 'Unfriended' tag: it's a found footage screencasting film where an anonymous user intrudes a Skype group chat, and torments them as a result of their mishaps bestowed onto said user. This is where the premise similarities end, though. This isn't only not a story continuation of the first film in any way (you can watch this without watching that and you won't lose a single beat), but this also does not have a supernatural element, and although Facebook may be one of the applications in the film it has nothing to do with unfriending somebody through it. Granted, I understand the name can take on multiple meanings in which case I can easily find one for it through this film, and if it just had the title The Dark Web, people would hark on it for being "too similar to Unfriended," so they were stuck. This can either help or hurt the film because I know a lot of people who won't see this on the name alone, but you may be mistaken by passing it up.

As I said before, this isn't bogged down with anything supernatural. That's not to say it's the most realistic thing in the world either, but if you suspend enough disbelief you can feel that it has a lot more grounding to it. This is the first plus. There's nothing wrong with supernatural horror flicks, but the first film holds a strong stigma around Facebook that it just couldn't be taken seriously. At least they did it better than Friend Request, but that's still not saying much. This circumvents that completely. Everything involved is through the power of individuals, all of which seem to be very computer-savvy, but making that decision won me over significantly more. I'd say it teeters more toward the suspense/thriller genre than it does the horror genre, and for this that can only be a good thing. Just don't expect anything scary so to speak, though there are a couple of disturbing ideas that only strengthened the film's mystique.

This also had some clever writing. Compared to the original, it's just nice to know that there was some actual thought into telling this story and not just throwing it out the window. The way the plot develops may leave you very curious as to how some items are slowly discovered, and some small nuggets (as well as character traits) throughout the film play a larger part by the time the credits roll in a fascinating way. Can't say I didn't like how things went down, but what's interesting to me is that halfway through watching it you could have predicted a million ways they should have done the back-end, and even if you ultimately feel they didn't go the route you may want it's still ahead of the other film on potential and wonder alone.

Unfriended: Dark Web grabbed me pretty fast with the relationship between two of the central characters. I cared enough about the situation to be concerned for their well-being. I can't necessarily say the same for the other characters. One was a little annoying but you grew into the personality, two were kind of bland (but one outshined the other both with acting and backstory), one was wasted entirely to the point that I wanted more from that one than any of the others, and one was compelling but served the plot exposition and advancement so well you could nearly call out "Deus ex machina!" at times, as that character also has no development. Everything in the Skype chat kind of worked out though because the "main" character (the screen we're watching all the time) mutes them or goes to different windows for long times on end when the others didn't need to serve a larger purpose for said moment. Neither the film nor the characters were that funny either, but the film didn't try to be funny too often either; wasn't laughing with them, but thankfully I also wasn't ever really laughing AT them. The first film had laughable characters that were unlikable to the point that I couldn't wait to watch them be killed.

Those who read my reviews know that I like to be vague so you can enjoy the film for yourself without still really knowing anything about this film, so that is where I'll leave you regarding content. Most of what I mentioned was the good stuff, and some of the lesser things in the film for me lie in parts that would probably spoil too much. I have some other small quibbles like off-screen characters type and respond unrealistically fast, though I understand they need to keep the pace up at the same time. Even still, I'd say they still make some decisions in the sequel that make me think they didn't learn everything from making the original, but they definitely self-corrected so much, probably more so than going from Annabelle to Creation or from Ouija to Origin of Evil. I also found the halfway point to allow it to go into multiple directions, and although the route they chose wasn't my absolute favorite I'm not about to sit here and petition that a rewrite be in order either.

This film also did one more thing for me: it made me realize that the found footage screencasting sub-genre is one that can actually work and be used more and more. It is very inexpensive and tailors perfectly to our generation around the social media realm. I thought it was far too gimmicky in the first film, but then I saw the film Searching and found how it could be used correctly... and just a short two weeks later I can clearly say that in the right hands there is enough creativity there to do more and more things. That being said, I liked Searching more as a film but I can't say that I would have liked it as much as I do if I saw it AFTER seeing Dark Web. I think the novelty of the filming style meshed so well with the story and really grabbed me, and this was entertaining enough overall that I didn't care I was seeing this style again. I think seeing it in the other order might exhaust me to see Searching second. So, here goes: I recommend you see both films, but if possible I recommend you see Searching first to get the best bang for your buck. Unfortunately it releases in a few weeks while this releases just next week.

Do as you must, but ultimately I suggest you give this one a crack and you may leave as surprised as I was.
  • footballrockz2420 July 2018
    This movie although having a bit of a slow start, get INTENSE and doesn't let up throughout. Very suspenseful flick my friend and I were turning heads with our jaw dropped throughout. DARK movie and my expectations were shattered in a good way. Highly recommend.
  • My friend and I went into this movie expecting to laugh and make fun of it, especially after the first one. And while yes, there are some funny/stupid/absurd parts to this movie, overall it was actually very intriguing. It manages to come off slightly more realistic, enough so that it caught my interest and held it throughout. I enjoyed the first Unfriended because it was dumb and I thought it was funny. I enjoyed Dark Web because it was a legitimately fascinating, enjoyable movie. Definitely check this one out.
  • The acting was awful, the special effects were cheesy, and the story line was all over the place. Not to mention this had nothing to do with "the dark web". If you're interested in a movie like this, just watch V/H/S instead. It's far less ridi
  • Ignore the 10/10 reviews, they are mostly fake. This movie is awful.
  • I try to be forgiving to movies... but I just couldn't. I can see what they were going for, but with the slow pace to get to anything interesting is just annoying. You spend the first 20min watching a kid stupidly fumble around a Mac (though he is supposed to be some tech person) and then after 40 or so minutes, you get your first mildly thrilling moment. But don't worry, it isn't too scary, my grandmother would laugh! After 45mins I was so bored I was falling asleep on my husbands shoulder and eventually we left. It was so bad that it is the first movie I have ever walked out of. I NEVER walk out of movies, but I couldn't continue to put myself through that much pain. Not worth a cent. Not even worth a Netflix late night "meh whatever" watch. So sad, it could have been good.
  • Unfriended: Dark Web is the sequel to Unfriended from 2015. In this movie, a teenager obtains a laptop that was originally owned by someone who had apparently belonged to an evil online cult. The man eventually comes in contact with the teenager who now has the laptop and is willing to do whatever it takes to get it back from him.

I didn't see the original Unfriended because it simply wasn't for me despite being based around social media and whatnot. I also wasn't looking forward to this, but I decided to watch this regardless and give it a chance. All I can say is that it's something I deeply regret.

Let's start with the only genuinely good thing; the relationship between the main character and the love interest. The main character's girlfriend is deaf and the main character has to find a way to make their relationship work. As such, he creates an application that is supposed to help them with their communication. I found this pretty clever the more I thought about it, especially since there aren't a lot of movies that explore the complexities of a relationship like this.

Despite liking the relationship, I feel like it's not necessarily deserved because I found the main character extremely stupid and unlikable. It didn't take me that long for me to dislike him either. Around a half hour into the movie, he admits that he picked up the computer from a lost-and-found bin where he works. He didn't just leave the computer sitting in there to buy a new one? Just how desperate was this guy?! He has a job, so he must be making money, so why couldn't he have saved up money to buy a new and fresh computer? The plot wouldn't have happened if he didn't just leave the computer in the lost-and-found.

The other characters aren't necessarily much better. Aside from the villains, these are the types of characters to make hasty judgements without questioning anything. I know these are teenagers, but in some cases, they have no sense of judgement. Sometimes, they just don't listen, other times they are too manipulative, and in the worst case scenarios, they charge into situations blindly without giving a thought.

While watching this movie, I was at least going to give the villain's motivation some credit for being plausible. The villain wants his computer back so he wouldn't look shady if one of them were to have called the cops. From what we see in the first act of the film, the actions that he and his cult members have pulled are worthy of punishment. If it wasn't for a small twist in the last 10 minutes, I would've just said "that's a believable motivation." But no, as the movie ends, the villain's true motives fail to make any sense.

As for some of the smaller issues, I feel as though this movie fails to realize what it actually is. Despite it being marketed as a horror movie and a sequel to a horror movie, it's not very scary. At times, it seems to come off as a genre similar to a horror like a thriller or slasher movie with some of the deaths. Considering the fact that this is not supernatural unlike the first, it barely gives off the impression that it's a horror by offering nothing supernatural.

If you're a hardcore fan of the first movie, then you may end up liking this. As for me however, I currently think it's the worst movie of the year with it failing in many different areas.

• So I saw the first one and for me it made sense because it dealt with an evil vengeful spirit, because that person was made fun of in life, I get it. But I'm not sure wtf this crap was all about. Stealing a lab top and that warrants murder of innocent people including a a mother in the hospital dying of cancer? FN stupid. I'm just glad everyone died in the film. Now please don't make any more POS like this ever again. This was just awful
  • lunchoutk11 September 2018
    Its clever, its starts well and then its all hysterical shouting and BS. the main character is unlikable and i found myself wishing and hoping he ends up in a barrel.

And more shouting, lots of shouting... completely ruined the movie and i switched it off after an hour.
  • All I want to say, that compared to the first Unfriended, this was a step above. It does have the same concept, but it's darker and takes something that is real and makes it work. Compared to other horror movies I've seen like Lights Out, Ouija 2:Origin of Evil, or Get Out, it doesn't fare well with those movies, but in all, it isn't a horrible movie and I believe you would be pleased to watch it if you don't mind it being on a Mac the entire time.
  • SPOILER: Movie is so cheap and dumb , even Birdemic Shock and Terror is better then this steaming pile of you know what. Everything just dies one by one and everything is very predictable. Im about to sue the company thats behind this movie for stealing 6 minutes of my time and i am not even joking
    Was really stoked to see this and basically forced my friend to go see it and wasted 7 dollars. The first one was way better and out of all the antagonists in the movie they pick the one that got the least screentime to be the final one left besides the main character. Very slow, And just made no sense.
  • jaonlewis13 July 2018
    Nothing new about they story of this film eveyeveryt is predictable from the start to the end if you have seen movies like this one I wouldn't recommend it for u at all if it was ur first time with this kind of films u will probably like it ( but don't watch it with high expectations)
  • mergingduality18 September 2018
    I actually kind of liked the first Unfriended. It was incredibly stupid, but there being a ghost involved meant that it could get away with a lot of things that it couldn't have otherwise. This movie, without the crutch of the supernatural, completely falls apart.

These Dark Web mofos basically must be omniscient to make this plot work. Characters do irrational things even before the pressure is on. I actually got so bored 2/3 through that I tuned out completely.

The character building early on wasn't bad, which is why I gave it a 2 instead of a 1, but everything after the 'hackers' gets involved is so ridiculous and poorly through out that they may as well have been ghosts. But they weren't, so nothing they did made any sense.
  • The movie was quite similar to be honest since the 'villians' are almost invisible. It got on my nerves because many things are questionable for us who are into tech. But overall it was ok to watch and some scenes were executed well.
  • It's the age of the internet and cyber security is never more important to prevent your entire life from falling victim to the elite hackers. Yet, for many, we have no idea what threats lay hidden in the shadows of the dark web and those who use it for evil. So of course, it would be the perfect medium to make another horror movie with, after a few of the other films have had mixed success. Thus, the focus of my next review is the sequel to a horror movie with a similar theme, but a different story. Robbie K back in action to present his latest review on:

Movie: Unfriended: Dark Web (2018)

Director: Stephen Susco Writer: Stephen Susco Stars: Rebecca Rittenhouse, Betty Gabriel, Chelsea Alden

LIKES:

Unique perspective: Like the first installment, Unfriended: Dark Web takes the unique perspective of found footage through the computer. One gets to see everything happening through the virtual eyes of technology and become immersed into the experience at hand. As our "heroes" look through all the insane stuff in this film, you'll feel pulled into the journey and potentially get the feeling all this stuff is happening to you. It's unique, it's dynamic, and it's very engaging to watch.

Freaky Realism: The movie's core of scares is not so much the jumping at you moments, or a large monster, but more so how realistic this scenario can be. Dark Web isn't that farfetched a concept when you think about it and it instills a deep fear and paranoia that settles uncomfortably in your mind. If you're like me you might want to rethink how to clean up your digital foot print, and perhaps invest in some lessons on privacy. In all seriousness though, the movie's scenario will certainly keep you grounded into the suspense because the setting isn't so grandiose.

The Build-Up: Using the two previous likes, the director was able to build up some major suspense in this tale. The developers utilized solid techniques of helping uncover the mystery and white lies at the bottom of the digital rabbit hole. It provides just enough information to linger on before drawing out the thrills a little longer. This gradual balance continues to keep the suspense up and potentially lead to an exciting conclusion to come. Nice work.

The Pace: Horror movies can be slow sometimes, but for this movie that wasn't the case. Dark Web doesn't suffer from this limitation, leading to a decently paced movie that doesn't linger too long.

The Twists: The movie is pretty linear and predictable, but the story team managed to bring a few surprises with it as well. While some twists can be misguided, the movie succeeded to utilize these twists to help "justify" all that happened and sort of curb for the stupidity of the characters. It's not the best thing in the world, but it worked for me.

DISLIKES:

Predictable: The way this series continues to promote the darker themes, one can guess a lot of what is going to happen. Much of this comes from the trailers giving things away, but some of it comes from copying the first film's tactics for scares. As such, you won't be too surprised when all is said and done.

The Lacking Characters: I understand a horror movie seldom doesn't focus on stories and more on superficial scares and thrills. Still this reviewer would have appreciated characters that weren't so carbon copy of the teenage summer movie. Almost all of the group is rather stereotypical, and in truth not so likeable when you see how much they kind of overstep their boundaries. Sure, there are some exceptions, but the main character in particular brought much of this on himself. Even worse, much of their stories are pretty boring or missing altogether, with most attempts falling flat on its face. Perhaps more expansive stories could have helped add some more layers to the mix and give us better characters.

The Opening Sequence: It's about logging into a "new" computer and as such requires the character to try multiple attempts to breach the security. I'm not complaining because it really does capture the reality of the situation, however did we need nearly 10 minutes of this prolonged sequence? I don't think so, and while 10 minutes doesn't seem like much...it is in a movie barely pushing 80 minutes. Cool to be immersed, but the time could have been spent better in plot development or anything else.

Two Endings?: Yes, you heard me right, there are two finales to this movie, but it's not dependent on show times, but rather theaters. It's worthy of applause for trying to get some rewatching on this movie in regards to making the most bucks. To the fans though, having to go to two different theaters is not my idea of good marketing, especially if one of the endings is super intense and the other is a hasty wrap up. Director's cuts or reddit will be your friend on this dislike guys.

Final 25 minutes: I already stated that the first part of this movie does a nice job building things up for what will hopefully be an intense second act. True, the end is intense, but it's also very hastily rushed, compacted, and kind of skimmed over very quickly. If you are like me, a movie like this is better when your characters are challenged and potentially hurt throughout the movie, and not just the final act. Dark Web failed on this aspect and tried to finish its tale a little too quickly in the end. No amount of twists can offset this for me, but it may not be too bad for others.

The VERDICT:

Overall, Unfriended 2 was better than its horror counterpart. The plot components made more sense, the setting grounded back into realism, and it once again told a familiar story through a more immersive medium than most others. In addition, the suspense and twists keep this relatively simple film entertaining up until the end. The problems come more from some presentation flaws, such as a dragged-out opening, trying to put two endings together, and of course rushing at the end. Throw in some non-engaging characters and it wraps up this movie pretty well. The movie is okay overall, but it's going to be reserved for young adults and teens looking for a quick thrill for the summer. Still, it turned out better than I was expecting so there is a victory there. Nevertheless, I recommend holding out for home on this one.

My Scores:

Horror: 6.0-6.5 Movie Overall: 4.5-5.0
  • I don't recall unfriended being that good. I understand why they made a second one, it's a horror film, but a forgettable one I thought. Then someone comes up with a great idea to make the original concept even more horrifying.

So some guy gets a new used lab top that just happens to belong to another guy who's affairs in the dark web are...well... dark, and will stop at nothing to get that info back and erase everyone who saw it if you get my drift.

The idea for the original movie was scary too, However, Dark Web was able to take the elements of the first film and create something that frighten me with the whole real life situation of the whole thing.

This was done over the fact that the movie's cast was not filled with the best actors on the planet. Some performances can take you out of the movie altogether cause they are bad.

Overall, however this movie did have me on the edge of my seat with suspense, with a concept that seem to be better done, and also the scary music had a lot to do with it.

Worth watching.