User Reviews (97)

• treypyne24 June 2018
    It was kind of slow and boring at the beginning. It made me cry at the end
  • I wasn't aware that this was a remake before I watched this.

Bella Thorne and Schwarzenegger are both one big cringefest in this movie. Which wouldn't have been necessary. I think that if there was a different cast it would have been a totally different movie, and would have gotten a higher rating. I'm unsure if much of it was improvised or perhaps the writers just don't know how teenagers talk to each other? Anywho. Five stars.
  • Not really a fan of Bella Thorne but she was excellent in this, enjoyed the film very much. some beautifully sad moments. would recommend. Some harsh reviews from many but this film is worth your time
  • Midnight Sun, follows teenager Katie Price who has a rare disease called XP which makes her stay out of the sun because being in the sun is fatal and can result in death. She stays looking out into the world from her window and one night meets her dream guy Charlie whom shes been watching since a young age. The film follows her journey through her first love, first parties, and the one life she has. The film is important as it follows a real life disease and also represents a teens curiousness and their eagerness they have to explore the world and how as teens we can feel trapped. Katie is a strong character who sacrifices a lot and goes through so many trials. I recommend you give this a film a try. My thoughts at first was that the film was cheesy and the story was just like the film Everything, Everything. Well news flash for me, the film is nothing like Everything, Everything and the story was good, the acting was good,the music was heartwarming, and had me in tears. I recommend the film no matter what your thoughts are on the film.

"I'm really busy during the day, but I can be free at night." -Katie Price, Midnight Sun
  • "Midnight Sun" (PG-13, 1:31) is a romantic drama about a teenage girl who suffers from xeroderma pigmentosum, or XP, a rare genetic disorder which renders those afflicted prone to serious medical complications when exposed to sunlight. The film is directed by Scott Speer (helmer of the 2012 and 2014 "Step Up" movies) & written by Kenji Brando, based on the 2006 Japanese film of the same name.

Often playing mean girls, actress and singer Bella Thorne this time gets to play a more sympathetic character, Katie Price, a 17-year-old with such a severe case of XP that even minimal exposure to the sun could be deadly. Consequently, she spends all of the daylight hours behind specially-tinted windows in her house with her single dad (Rob Riggle, shedding his usual comedic persona for another dramatic role). Besides her dad, Katie's only friend is a fellow teenager named Morgan (Quinn Shepherd) who one day knocked on the door to play with the mysterious girl who never came outside... and never stopped coming around. Katie stays upbeat and makes the most of her life, such as it is, but she does wish she had at least one more friend, a boy named Charlie (Patrick Schwarzenegger, establishing himself as more than just Arnold's son), whom Katie longingly watched pass by her house for the past 10 years.

Having been homeschooled by her dad, Katie is treated to a private graduation ceremony (at home, of course) on the same day that her peers graduate and he lets her indulge in one of her favorite hobbies, playing her guitar and singing on the platform of her local Seattle-area train station. There she finds herself face-to-face with Charlie for the first time and she kind of freaks out. Charlie is charmed by her awkwardness (and attracted to her natural beauty), so he pursues her until she agrees to go on a date with him. Although she insists on only meeting him at night - and one date turns into several - she struggles with when and how to tell him about her condition... knowing he'll find out sooner or later.

"Midnight Sun" is similar to 2017's "Everything Everything", but the latter was a little better. It's a miracle Katie wasn't morbidly obese by the second act, considering all the scenery chewing Thorne did early in this film. However, once Katie and Charlie become a couple, most of the rest of the story is fairly touching, although the plot points often feel contrived. Unfortunately, Thorne seems made up and dressed to look like fellow 20-something actress Zoey Deutch, who is more talented and more beautiful than Thorne. The latter plays vulnerable and sympathetic very well, but stumbles when she's trying to act awkward or comedic. Her great singing voice (an important part of her character) and her performance as a girl being romanced by her dream boyfriend mostly redeems her... if the initial overacting hasn't made you stop watching... and if you can get past the emotionally manipulative plot. "C"
  • Great Movie. A sort of modern walk to remember. Very classy and family friendly.
  • 'MIDNIGHT SUN': Three Stars (Out of Five)

A teen romance about a 17-year-old girl with a life threatening sensitivity to sunlight, who has her first romantic relationship with her longtime crush, but she doesn't tell him about her illness. The movie stars Patrick Schwarzenegger (son of the great Arnold Schwarzenegger, in one of his first major starring roles), Bella Thorne and Rob Riggle. It was directed by Scott Speer (who previously helmed the 2012 teen romance dance flick 'STEP UP REVOLUTION'), and it was written by Erik Kirsten (the film is a remake of a 2012 Japanese movie, of the same name). It's received mostly negative reviews from critics, and it's a modest hit at the Box Office. I found it to be mildly affective, but mostly mediocre at best.

Katie Price (Thorne) has had a rare illness since she was a small child, called xeroderma pigmentosum, in which she can be killed by any exposure to sunlight. She has lived most of her life almost entirely indoors, being homeschooled by her loving father (Riggle). Now, as Katie graduates from high school, she begins venturing outside at night to play her guitar. On graduation night she meets her longtime childhood crush, Charlie (Schwarzenegger), who never even knew she existed before that. A romance develops between the two, but Charlie doesn't know anything about Katie's condition.

The film is pretty routinely made, and it's clichéd and pretty cheesy as well at times. It accomplishes what it sets out to do though, and I think it's target audience will be completely satisfied with it. I usually hate these types of movies, but I wanted to see this one just to see Patrick Schwarzenegger in a starring role (I was a huge Arnold Schwarzenegger fan). It's a little weird how much he resembles his father at times, in appearance, but he still acts nothing like him (and of course doesn't have the beloved accent). He's also not nearly as charismatic, or talented (that we can see yet at least), but he does fine in this film. It would be great to see him and Scott Eastwood star in a buddy action flick together, I think. I'm sure it would probably be cheesy, and bad, but also really amusing. Rob Riggle steals this movie though, and it's worth watching if you're a fan of the genre definitely.
    I was very disappointed by this movie. First off, I didnt watch a trailer beforehand so I thought this was a cute little romantic feel good movie for date night with my girlfriend. Wrong. Wanting to have a good time and then have you girlfriend suffocating while sobbing is not cool. lol. Although this really did happen, the movie is not at fault. Well, well.

I thought the movie couldve been so much more, like.. instead of just dying off, she couldve become a music star of some level, with freaky concerts because the sun can never shine and telling the world about XP. Or at least playing a real concert once. But no, boom and dead. Wow. Not even a death scene. Only the Schwarzenegger sun shortly mourning by staring passionately on the ocean. ...?

After she died the movie went downhill. For godsake the girl just died and the dad is ... well just like before? But... her song is in the radio... so that's cool, right? ... It had quite potential but the filmmakers didnt take it.

The music was also a little disappointing. Although it was emotional due to the scenery I really, really didnt like the songs.
  • sbocena23 June 2018
    When I read the plotline "A girl who can't go out into the sunlight", I was so curious and excited. As in she has Xeroderma Pigmentosum and it's a love story so I thought it would be one of those deep, sympathetic stories . You know! the ones that characters struggles with their disease while trying to keep up with the normal life.

An immediate mental image of "Fault in our stars" and "Me before you" came in my mind but the disappointment is this movie shy far away from these two masterpieces. It's just one of those shallow love stories where the writer has no regard for details and tells you whatever you wanna hear( cliche).

1.In the beginning of the movie as the lead actress(Bella Thorne) narrates the story, there is part during elementary school when her future best friend knocks on her(Bella) door and her father opens up and he tells the little girl that her daughter(Bella) can't go out in the sun and little girl(future best friend) is like "Can she play at night?"....Who allows their elementary school daughter to go play at the strangers house at night?....and am using the word "Stranger" because there is no point during the movie where the best friend's family was shown, which is just shallow too if you ask me.

2. The lead actress(Bella) goes to play the guitar/singing at the train station almostly every night and by some reason Charlie(the boy she falls for) has never seen her. I get it that they wanted to make the encounter of two lovebirds cute but stil that doesn't make sense at all.

3. The movie story leans on the fact that the girl has skin disease so you would wanna see how she struggles with the disease and keeping up with her relationship. But almost 3/4 of the movie is about a perfect love story of two teenagers who basically goes out on dates at night.

4. When Charlie takes her out on a date across the city on the day she gets exposed to the sunlight, her dad lets her off too easy. I was expecting he would have insisted on the time to be back, he would have been constantly checking on her. And even after she missed the curfew, they showed he texted her alot but never thought about calling Charlie, the guy she left with.

5. When the disease if finally triggered, they didn't get the disease facts right. XP presents with skin blisters, engorged skin veins, eye ulcers but the only thing they did is make the girl look pale.

6. The dad didn't look that "Broken" for a parent who is about to lose a child. A scene where she asks her dad to just let her go out in the day when she wanted to go to the boat with Charlie after they release she is gona die no matter what, he lets her off too ease. As parent I imagined he could have clinged to every bit of hope he could find and that was just like letting her go out there to die.

7. Hanging characters, as connected as the two lovebirds were, we never got to see Charlie's parent. She had a best-friend whom we knew nothing about as in we never saw her family. Charlie's ex never put a fight when he came with a strange girl to her party. The movie has so many hanging characters.
  • From the trailer running at a local theater venue, I was reticent to indulge in the film. I read more about it - synopses, et al - and decided to give it a chance. Wow, am I glad I did.

Midnight Sun is NOT another "he's" sick/"she's" sick) kind of film. It's far more about the peripheral impact of the disorder XP (Xeroderma Pigmentosum). The story is, in truth, far more about a young woman who does what she can, working around and living with an irreversible affliction.

The story is about important relationships, as well as support of the overall life of the young woman. It is about people who really care, and those who APPEAR to show an absence of empathy.

The first 1/3 of the film is committed to setup. Once that's been established, it picks up speed - nicely capturing the picture of mainstream high schoolers. Each has an albatross around their respective necks - and, that is part of the magic of the story as it evolves.

I recommend this film highly. While anyone in their teens and beyond will be touched by it, those who have experienced chronic, threatening disorders in their family will especially relate to the portrayal in the film.

Contrary to other posts herein, the film is NOT "emotionally manipulative." It IS a beauteous, compelling piece that gives one cause to pause - and reflect on the gifts that come in many forms.
  • ellabkiely31 March 2018
    I really enjoyed this film it made me cry laugh and smile It was so good and my friends and family enjoyed it aswell
  • 10/10
    Great
    Thought it was amazing, it wasn't a raunchy teen love story like we always see it was sweet and touching, I cried.
  • A 17-year-old girl suffers from a condition that prevents her from being out in the sunlight. Despite a slow and comedic 1st act 'Midnight Sun' is a well made and great romantic drama with great perfomances and chemistry between Bella Thorne and Patrick Schwarzenegger and even well known comedian Rob Riggle shows some great dramatic chops. The story was also interesting and as both of a romantic comedy and a drama the movie works 100% thanks to it's Cast plus the ending suprised me alot for a film of this kind. Overall nowhere near as bad as critics said and to be honest it was a great and cute 91-minute film full of emotions. (10/10)
    The disease she has doesnt cause brain swelling, its a real disease they butchered. It causes an increase in cancer which may kill you.

No one would busk on the street and automatically have dozens of people watching.
  • leandra_h10 April 2018
    This movie is just awesome. I cried soooo much it's very emotional. But I also laughed. It is a love story with many ups and downs. I felt all the emotions in my belly and my heart:) If you are searching for action(like James Bond), you're wrong
  • To begin with I am biased towards romantic movies and usually find them excruciatingly boring. Midnight sun is no exception to that. There are a few emotional tear-jerky scenes that may move you but to be honest the plot rationale just seemed lethargic.

Midnight Sun will definitely appeal to the lovers of Nicholas Spark novels and the love characterization in them . Especially the movie " A Walk to Remember"; if you are fan of that movie, you wouldn't want to miss this one then.

Romantic movies with terminally ill patient as the protagonist is an age old tale and we have seen plethora of movies addressing it. This movie too has an interesting premise away from cancer and tumor and talks about a disease called Xeroderma pigmentosum that makes interaction with sunlight deadly for the patient. The drama could have been more nuanced but the director plays old school and you basically see the formula of every such teen romantic movie being repeated.

The actors including Bella Thorne, Patrick Schwarzenegger and Quinn Shephard have done their parts satisfactorily but to be honest there is nothing commendable in anyone's performance partly due to a weak screenplay. The technical details of the movie are well presented and to be honest the movie is not too boring as well.

Finally, if you are a fan of Nicholas Sparks styled romance, I would suggest this film. Otherwise its better giving it a miss.
  • As a frequent movie goer, this was just about my only choice today since I've seen the other movies that are playing now. I was pleasantly surprised by this movie. I expected it to cater to teenagers, which is mostly did, but as a person in my 70s, I enjoyed it too. It does tug at the heartstrings, which I find manipulative, but it wasn't too hard to hold back the tears. The acting is very good except for Schwarzenegger, who is just OK as an actor, but his being so easy on the eyes makes up for it. The plot is predictable; anyone can pretty much guess correctly what's going to happen along the way, but for a romance-type movie, that's just what they do. And there are some plot holes, like Katie knowing how to swim when she's never been in the sun and her house doesn't have a swimming pool, and her attending a swim meet to watch Charlie swim but no explanation as to how she got from her house safely to the car and from the car safely to the swim arena. She had on a hoodie, but if that's all it takes, she could go out more often during the day instead of having been cooped up in her house during the day for all of her life. And if exposure to the sun for one day is deadly, how did she get home from the hospital when she was born before they knew she had this disorder. None the less, it's a good enough movie - just a little sappy - but I think the kids will love it.
  • Young girls in the audience were crying uncontrollably during "Midnight Sun". I have never been to a movie before where there was this much crying, seriously.

"Midnight Sun" is a very good movie, I really enjoyed it. It is well worth the price of admission to see it.

Rob Riggle really shined, he showed true acting skills and was the perfect single dad. I really enjoyed him.

"Midnight Sun" is a huge tear jerker but it is still a wonderful love story and a must see!
  • I don't think I have ever cried so much at the movies before. Midnight Sun was a beautiful love story that had just the right amount of comedy and romance without being cringe. However tears will be shed and I recommend bringing tissues
  • bccrosby25 March 2018
    Wholesome love story. Reminds us to take risks, love, and seize the moment. Great music. Wonderful father/ daughter movie.
  • I had very high expectations for this movie. I really wanted to see it. But when I finally saw it, I regret every second of it. It was a stupid excuse for a love movie.

It was a mushy, cheesy love story and I just HATED it. I thought that it had very bad acting, they made Bella Thorne sing about a couple of times and I had to brace myself because she has no talent. I cried 2 times because it was very emotional.

But I just hated it and I dislike Bella very much so, yeah. A pretty pointless movie
  • Every movie omes with expectations. The genre, actors, and subject matter of the film all lend some kind of expectation or judgment before you even see the movie. This movie has many things to give the audience a reputation. It stars Bella Thorne, people who are among her fans will flock to the movies, and her haters should stay away. It is a teen romance, so if that appeals to you, you will be excited for it. It is a terminal illness drama. If an extremely glossed over illness drama is okay for you, then this movie will be fine, if realism is what you are looking for, you will most likely dislike this movie. I fell into the category that was looking forward to this movie. I don't have much of an opinion on teen romance or glossy terminal illness drama, so those were neither a turn off or a enticement for the film. I am a fan of Bella Thorne, so that alone was enough to attract me to the film. I thought the trailer for the film looked good, and ultimately, for me the movie was good. The film is very tame. It defies no expectations, nor does it break any boundaries. It is a film that is well reflected by its trailer. If you liked the trailer, you will most likely enjoy the movie. If anything stands out as a negative against the movie when you watch the trailer, you will still hate it while you watch the movie. It is great for the people in its audience, a pretty bad experience for everyone else.
  • Maybe in the beginning looks cheesy, but give it a chance. Only for the romantic ones :)
  • Really enjoyed this sad little romance movie. Some people are complaining it's not factual but so what? If I want facts I will look up facts not watch a sad romance movie..DUH

If you want a cute movie that will make you want cry a little then this is a good one.
  • I recently figured out that watching this type of movies is pretty toxic (in a positive way), since we all can agree that this kind of love story is too incredible to even exist in real life. However, I don't mind poisoning myself again and again, being a hopeless romantic I am. This movie is about teenagers, who are, by the way, surprisingly mature for their age. Building a love so strong, yet in a very short time, left me speechless. In my opinion, the cast is incredible, & did an amazing job showing off their acting skills. I started sobbing in tears already half way through. The movie is so simple, and remarkably innocent and pure. Got a 9/10 from me because of the unexpected ending (very well done). All my recommendations go to it. Definitely a must-watch!