User Reviews (45)

• ctowyi12 June 2016
    A superb remake of Montage
    4 reasons we are watching this - Amitabh Bachchan, Nawazuddin Siddiqui, Vidya Balan and finally this is the Hindi remake of only one of the best Korean non-derivative thrillers in recent years called Montage that not many people even know about. If you have seen Hindi remakes you would know they can often surprise you with a new spin on familiar proceedings. We already know how everything would pan out but we were still kept spellbound.

It is impossible to write a synopsis without unintentionally dropping a spoiler, so I am going to keep it very simple. This is a story about a grandfather (Amitabh Bachchan), a priest (Nawazuddin Siddiqui) and a police officer (Vidya Balan) coming together to solve a case of a kidnapped child.

Montage (2013) was one helluva movie. It plays with an overly familiar premise of a kidnapped child but it weaves such an inventive spin on the genre that it rises up like a phoenix from the ashes. The emotional weight coupled with the gripping narrative and a superb sleight-of-hand play with fractured timelines transcends way above derivative thrillers that barely register a blimp on your consciousness. It is a film that one can't quite conveniently pigeonhole into the usual boxes. This is ripe for a remake.

I know both of us, while being kept spellbound, were unconsciously comparing both versions. After it ended our conversations eddied around different aspects of both versions. In fact, we will be re-watching Montage this evening. That is how much we love the incredible story. Both have their pluses and minuses, and it is such an interesting activity to see the different trajectories taken by two different types of world cinema.

One of the major nitpicks we have with Te3n is the lumbering pace in the first half hour. What should have been a relentless ride nearly dissolves into weepy melodrama. Montage never once had this issue because it has a superb sense of urgency with the statute of limitations for the unsolved case running out. The director, Ribhu Dasgupta, should have trusted the acuity of the audience to join the dots, but it was just content to cement the fact that Bachchan's John and Siddiqui's Martin are empty shells of a man because of the devastating incident 8 years ago. These are not ordinary actors - when Amitabh Bachchan says he is sad, we know in our very bones he is earth-shatteringly overwhelmed with sadness. There is no need to give us half an hour of him moping around. I don't mean to say I was bored looking at him because I absolutely wasn't; there are not many actors out there I would pay to watch them do nothing and with little soliloquy like Bachchan and Siddiqui. Bachchan and Siddiqui are just magnetic to watch.

Compared to the Korean original, the ending feels a little blotched and IMHO doesn't quite reach the same zenith set by Montage (we are watching again just to find out if we are right). I recalled the final wordless scene in the Korean film that really hit me in the gut and I failed to hold back a torrent of tears from streaming down my face. That scene seals up everything so marvellously. Te3n could have used the same scene. However, kudos still to a superbly made film that uses the city of Kolkata so well; it feels like it is the 4th major character of the film. Even though I knew the outcome of the story and remembered every twist and turn, Te3n still manages to surprise me with its intensity and its commitment to tell a good story. This is the type of story that has so many moving parts that one wrong turn it would fail, but it doesn't. If you choose to look closely you probably will see loopholes but you won't want to because the story has so much verve. This is easily one of the best films I have seen this year.
  • Fella_shibby15 August 2016
    Well made remake with an amazing star cast n awesome cinematography.
    I saw this in theatre. Alas, it was not packed as audiences in India prefer trash films by sallu/akki/srk/hrithik. I had seen the original Korean but still I gav this a chance due to the awesome star cast n I am a big fan of these kiknda movies. Well as a fan of this genre I needed to encourage it. I will not spoil much as it's a good mystery/drama/thriller. Amitabh was awesome as always. Nawaz is a fantastic actor. But the highlight of the film was it's cinematography n skillful direction. Most Hindi thrillers tend to spoonfeed audiences with all details. But in this movie, the director left some things for the audiences. Ther were only two minor problems with this film. 1)Vidya balan doesn't look like a cop who's pursuing a kidnapper n she looked as if her mind was wandering somewhere. 2)This is a very important point in a movie where they r taking big time leap. The movie takes around a time leap of 8 years but the director wasn't able to pull that off. I mean look at True detectives season 1, Marshland, Zodiac, Memory of a murder. These were successful in showing the time leap. Nonetheless, i enjoyed this film.
  • Aseem10 July 2016
    A well scripted thriller with very good performances
    The good: The movie, as the credits indicate, is derived at least partly from the Korean movie "Montage". The story is quite suspenseful and the director does a good job juggling between various interweaving stories and time periods. Performances from the lead actors are solid and little to fault there. The negatives: My main gripe with the movie is that it contains several idle moments which do not seem to serve much purpose to either the development of the plot or characters or the overall experience. Overall verdict: Otherwise, the script is solid and the movie is well worth a watch. It also continues the gradually building list of quality Hindi whodunits with West Bengal (more specifically Kolkata) as the backdrop after Kahaani and Byomkesh Bakshi. I would also recommend Baishe Srabon, an excellent thriller in Bengali language, for whodunit fans
  • sanjubhat12 June 2016
    A classic Whodunit that keeps you hooked till the end
    Synopsis: The story is set in Kolkata where John Biswas (Amitabh) lives with his sick, wheelchair bound wife. John hasn't moved on in life even after 8 years since the death of his granddaughter Angela in a kidnapping incident. He needs closure and keeps pursuing the case, especially since he blames himself for her death. Father Martin (Nawazuddin Siddiqui) is an ex-cop turned priest. Martin, the cop in charge of John's case has a life changing experience due to the tragedy.

Suddenly after 8 years, John stumbles upon new clues in the case which might lead him to the killer. Not having too any expectations from the police he decides to investigate the leads himself.

In the meanwhile, a second kidnapping takes place which has an uncanny resemblance to the kidnapping of John's granddaughter eight years ago. Events occur in an identical pattern where Manohar's (Sabyasachi Chakraborty) grandson Ronnie is kidnapped. The case is handed over to Sarita (Vidya Balan) who seeks help from Martin to nab the kidnapper, due to his prior experience with the Angela case.

Investigations in these two cases set eight years apart, one by Amitabh and the other by Vaidya and Nawaz happening in parallel with some flashback scenes form the crux of this gripping psychological thriller.

Cast: The main cast namely Amitabh, Nawaz, Vidya and Sabyasachi play their roles to perfection keeping the audiences glued to their seats. Amazing performances indeed!! Direction Music and Editing: Ribhu Ghosh's direction is superb keeping the plot on track, that along with slick editing keep the audiences hooked till the very end of the film. Music is good and compliments the narrative very well.

As a writer, I could think of at least three alternate endings for the film. The makers have however chosen the most "humane one" and not the most "gripping, edge of the seat one" which could somewhat disappoint die-hard "Whodunit" fans. Well, having said that; the ending is not bad at all and you come out of the cinema hall feeling satisfied that your money has been well spent.

My Verdict: Great performances, direction, nice gripping storyline with an ending to watch out for. Is it a serial killer who has come out of hibernation after eight long years or is there something else to it?? Don't want to reveal too much here. Guys, bindaas jaake theatre main dekho!! You won't be disappointed. If you liked Vidya Balan's Kahani, you will love this one too!! 8/10 from me for this highly entertaining movie!!
  • dipgh12 June 2016
    A must watch thriller
    This is the kind of thriller for which you wait all your life while watching mediocre and crappy ones and hoping one day something awesome will come your way. The story unfolds slowly, as if mirroring the grandfather's (Amitabh) way of trying to find the truth. Like his consistence and single mindedness at arriving at the truth and delivering justice, the film moves steadily and surely towards that one goal. Nawazzuddin, the police officer turned priest, is eclectic in his nuanced performance. Vidya is good, but Tabu would have been better as the decisive police officer (like in Drishyam). Vidya falls short of making the character memorable. Sabyasachi is awful, as he generally is-all the worse because his is an important role. Kolkata is in itself a character in the film and lends the poignant old world rusty grace that the film requires. Cinematography is good, though the editing could have been a tad bit better. But, over and above all these rise the film itself- being more than merely the sum of its parts. It comes together and falls into place like a beautiful jigsaw puzzle, lending satisfaction to the thriller lover. Go for it if you love real, plot based thrillers. You will be aptly rewarded.
  • Suman Shakya5 February 2017
    A spooky thriller with a phenomenal performance by Amitabh Bachchan
    "Te3n" is a thriller concerning the investigation of an old grandfather to find the kidnapper of her granddaughter who was kidnapped and killed eight years ago, after the police is unable to solve the case. The film starts somewhat slow, but as the film proceeds, the suspense deepens and the end astonishes and takes your attention from what had happened in the beginning. The suspense has a right touch and the spooky twists may be the brainchild of the Korean Film "Montana" on which it's based. But the genuine thing to watch in the film is the controlled and stand out performance by Amitabh Bachchan which is phenomenal. Vidya Balan and Nawazzudin Siddique also do their roles well but somewhat look weary. Overall, the film begins a bit slow and sets to its suspense soon.

Rating: 2 stars out of 4
  • Varun Chaudhary10 October 2016
    The plot of this Big B, Nawazuddin starrer has too much fuzz
    Remember that reasonably engrossing Hollywood thriller Se7en, in which two sleuths go looking for a serial killer with a thing for the seven deadly sins?E3N gimmicks its name similarly and gives us three characters in search of a criminal, but it doesn't borrow any of the smarts from the Hollywood film. This official remake of a Korean mystery with a kidnapping and a death at its heart is a sluggish drag for the most part, brightened only occasionally by a scene or a line.Bachchan plays John, an elderly man still stunned by grief, eight years after the death of a little girl. He will continue to search for the person who caused it, despite being dissuaded by people all around him : wheelchair-bound wife ( Padmavati Rao), sympathetic policewoman Sarita ( Balan), and cop-turned-priest Father Martin ( Nawaz). He will persist with his dogged pursuit for justice and truth whatever happens. A fresh kidnapping turns on the spotlight on the old case again, and as new clues come to light, John's search acquires an intensity and purpose, and we sense, as he does, the coming of an end which will lead to some answers and a sort of peace.This kind of dark story with vicious undertones ( whenever a little girl goes missing, a shiver goes down your spine) could have become a terrific morality play. How does a shocking death, especially of a young life, impact the living? Is it living or a counting out the days till your own passing? Is grief something you can ever get past? And how does guilt play out in all this? TE3N is a case of sadly missed opportunities. Because there are rousing actors in here, and there's a real city to play it all out in. Kolkata is a perfect location for a film like this with its atmospheric patches and the iconic Howrah-Hoogly vistas, reminding you of producer Sujoy Ghosh's far more engaging 'Kahaani', but how a man clad in a dark hoody ( in sultry Kolkata) manages to move around those streets so freely remains an unsolvable mystery.

Its treatment does both place and characters in, turning everything lackadaisical. In its attempt to be less 'dark', loud background music is added in at each step. The plot has too much fuzz, and the characters are all surface : Bachchan's droopy facial lines, Balan's stolid-cop-stomping—these painstakingly drawn outlines call attention to themselves, but do not afford us inner details. Why is her full-fledged act termed a guest appearance? That mystery too stays unsolved. Only Nawaz's guilt-ridden priest breaks free once in a way, and a few red herrings infuse some intrigue, especially towards the end.
  • Harman Sohi12 June 2016
    A Remake and Biopic Era For Bollywood
    Well, Te3N is a consummate example of excellent acting by Amitabh Bachchan, Vidya Balan & Nawazuddin Siddiqui. It is a remake of the famous and award winning 2013 South Korean movie- 'Montage', with few twists and turns. As the crime story unfolds, it keeps you wondering to it's possibilities. The film for not once lets you yawn(except if you're sleepy of course :P) I will suggest you to go through the trailer which intricately carves out the story line in gaps, obviously since it's a suspense thriller.

Now since you've seen this. let's talk about the Story Plot:

John Biswas, a grand-father (Amitabh Bachchan) is in deep shock even after 8 years of kidnapping of his grand-daughter, named Angela Roy. His own wife is very sick and wheel-chair bound. Despite all circumstances, he daily visits police station without fail. Coincidently he comes across a clue and simultaneously another kidnapping of same nature happens, baffling the police. Sarita Sarkar(Vidya Balan) is made to handle the case, while she is of little knowledge of Kidnapping cases, but still decided to go on with it. She thinks to demand help from Father Martin(Nawazuddin Siddiqui) who has been a former cop, and was involved in handling Angela's case. Thus, knowing the series of operations that happened in the past, he comes to support partially by providing clues. Rest all you will get to know when you go for the movie.

Let's hop to Acting now:

Though Amitabh Bachchan is a clear ruler out of all, but the co-cast do not fail promising delivery. Nawaz is always a fit-into-all. Vidya Balan is simply magnificent though her screen time is a little less.

Direction: Well, Ribhu Dasgupta has definitely had a great entry to Bollywood with a great ensemble of cast. The Direction is good and makes you feel into the story and impacts much realism.

Cinematography: Mostly we forget these aspects which make us trust in the story. The movie has appreciably captured the essence of Kolkata, the lanes, the market everything. You are familiar with the pain in the dimmed rooms, having tea or food with with perfect shots.

Dialogues: Well not many imapactful dialogues but a great attempt. I loved the one where Vidya says "Jo Khud Ka Kaam Na Kar Paaye, Wo Khua Ka Kya Karega?"

Music: Well, the music in the movie is all about pain, the background score will also relate you to that. It is soft to the ears and the heart. I would say some average pieces by Clinton Cerejo.

In all, I give the movie a 7/10. I suggest it is a one -time watch with a mind-boggling story and as already stated a good package of everything. Go ahead. :)
  • shahrish10 June 2016
    Suspense Thriller not to be missed
    The movie is like a slow poison, slowly it takes your hold,grows on you and till climax it has completely gripped you.

Story is unique, and ...its suspense thriller so i cant tell u much.

Coming to performances,Amitabh has ensured a long list of awards to his Kitty(Might be National award too). Nawaz and Vidya don't let you down. Dilogues,story, screenplay are winners. Direction is mature and clever.

Cinematography and Background score gets brownie points too.

VERDICT: For all suspense thriller lovers this is a treat to Watch.... A Must Watch.

PS: First half is slightly slow but don't worry in interval, second half especially last 30 minutes will keep you right on edge of the seat.
  • Sushan Konar12 June 2016
    The genre of serious crime thriller has arrived in Bollywood.
    The genre of serious crime thriller has arrived in Bollywood. We have already had excellent films like 'kahani', 'talash' and now Ribhu Dasgupta gives us 'te3n'.

In 1997 I joined a queue under scorching midday sun to buy a ticket for 'Mrityudata' (one of Amitabh Bachchan's totally forgettable middle-age fares) and felt it was time to write him off. Twenty years down the line, he reigns supreme over the Indian film industry, going from strength to strength, reinventing and surpassing himself time and again. That itself could have been enough for 'te3n' but the director also decided to throw Nawazuddin Siddiqui, Vidya Balan and Sabyasachi Chakrabarti in. A viewing pleasure.

Many have complained about the slow pace. For me that set the tone of the story. An excellent story, told by an exceptional ensemble cast - the perfect fare for a lazy Sunday afternoon. We are told that the story-line has been taken from a Korean one, but its adaptation into the slowly decaying Anglo-Indian community of Kolkata has been flawless.

My only serious grouse is about Sabyasachi Chakrabarti. A brilliant actor, a versatile presence in the Bengali (large and small) screen. However, the way he has let his appearance go in recent years has been a source of terrible disappointment to his appreciative viewers.
  • praveen seeta15 March 2017
    A rare bollywood thriller...with terrific acting
    First things first..didn't watch "Montage" korean film..on which this movie is based..and i don't want too either...let me explain why in one word..."Amitabh Bachhan"

Acting was brilliant...Amit ji, Nawazuddin and Vidya Balan were awesome to watch... (vidya had less screen time unfortunately)

Amitabh played a character who is devastated and sad...watching him..made me feel for the character.. made me feel sad too...it was acting at its finest

Nawazuddin plays a character who is disillusioned and keen to turn his life over...and is trying hard to but is lost anyway unless he finds redemption

Kolkata itself becomes a character thanks to good cinematography

For a thriller, screenplay lags a bit...but it never feels long...with emphasis on characters, mind boggling twists...clever reveals and an ending that is near perfect make this simple kidnap story...achieve a connect with the characters that is rare in this genre...

Background music and songs deal about pain..and complement well with movie

Must watch for Amitabh fans...A contemporary classic from director Ribhu Dasgupta
  • Jai Verma24 August 2016
    Could have been so much better.
    These are indeed dark times for Bollywood. In a time when this industry is churning out so much crap and feeding it to the audience just for the fact people have become addicted to star names this film still acts a refreshment.

When you see so many talented names in a movie and almost feel "Kahaani" like aura, you're bound to get lured. Your expectations rise hoping this is going to be the handful decent Bollywood movies of the year. It sadly wasn't for me. The plot is certainly very interesting, most dialogues also feel natural but the huge number of loopholes in a suspense film like this is bound to ruin the realism factor that keeps you hooked. I just think there were some parts of the films that weren't needed because they stretch the loopholes even further and makes the scenes plain absurd, I refuse to believe no one saw them while filming it or at least during the editing of the film. Seems like they just wanted to finish the film and be done with it.

Only if they had made some effort to fix those plot errors or just removed them completely, it could have been much more better. Maybe even better than "Kahaani".
  • Ankit Bhatnagar18 June 2016
    Crisp detailing of the plot, marvelous Editing & amazing Sir Amitabh, Nawazuddin and Vidya defines Te3n

Director: Ribhu Dasgupta Actors: Amitabh Bachchan, Nawazuddin Siddiqui, Vidya Balan

Storyline Rating: 4 Content: 4 Commercialization: 3 Entertainment: 4

Acting Rating: 4 Amitabh Bachchan: 4 Nawazuddin Siddiqui: 3 Vidya Balan: 3

Direction Rating: 3

Music Rating: 2

Cinematography: 4

Editing: 5
  • SivakumarBalachandran17 June 2016
    Stretchy Thriler works in parts
    A tale of unwinding the mystery behind an old case of a missing girl through a new similar small boy abduction case. The film has some of the industries' best talents Big B, Vidya Balan and Nawzudin Siddiqi to play the roles of a grieving grandfather, a police officer and a police officer turned church Pries. The story how these three characters seemingly intertwine to solve the mystery case. Sounds like a solid part isn't it? But somehow the movie has worked only in parts because it loses grip in between with the over stretched screenplay and slow pace.

The usage of Calcutta as the backdrop for the story resembles Kahaani. Lots of logic holes like an old man single handed heads to solve a huge case and physically extends himself to some extensive search which involves breaking into offices getting data and manipulating Quite unbelievable.

Performances wise I wouldn't vogue for anyone of the big talents because of the director has not done much justice to the characterization which leads their skills in vain.

Over all a slow and stretchy thriller which works in parts.
  • devesh pant10 June 2016
    Secret of unsolved case
    This film title is made especially for those people who loves movie different from the league.In-between eight years two kidnapping happen in same style and the director presented that very adventurously. Because of two kidnapping they can give title name two instead of te3n. Maybe film revolving around three characters that's why it is te3n. Acting and direction are very good, but some of the scenes without any reason are very long. Climax is not that good but they focus more in the Amitabh bachchan. Film starts with john (Amitabh) who always goes to the police station to know about her granddaughter Angela's kidnappers. Eight years before during kidnapping Angela died in accident. At that time in charge of her case is inspector Martin. Martin tried so hard to capture those guys but he failed. After failing Martin thought because of him Angela died and other police officer also insulting him. After that he resigns from the police force and became priest. In other hand john's wife Nancy goes in wheel chair because of the shock of her granddaughter death. John is 80 year old and still trying to catch those people. After Martin that case is handling by the Sarita. Sarita wants martin help in this case. So, both are trying to solve this case in their own way. At that time another kid got kidnapped in front of his grandfather. So movie is very good just some scenes are long. You should watch this movie.
  • Anup APu Kumar10 June 2016
    Bad Story , Slow Pace.
    TE3N - Simply saying i didn't liked the story. But i could have bear it , if the conclusion would have been good , but it was not . And for our bad luck , there also were some bad acting , some unusual reactions(like a father very much shocked after finding who was his daughter's kidnapper and describing in totally calm manner why exactly there was a good reason that particular person could easily have been the kidnapper and totally forget the expression of sadness he must have shown because their daughter has not been found by the police yet) , bad synchronisation among the scenes , providing forceful confusion to the audience by juggling the timeline and yes the SLOW PACE. I mean one single thing which a Thriller always avoid is the slow pace. It doesn't matter how bad your storyline is , it must always be on a laser sharp speed if you are making a thriller. For ones i can also bear a slow pace if it makes us forward to the character development and a grand finale , but the movie didn't do anything of that. In fact i was totally disappointed with the conclusion as well as the path which lead me to it. This is the first time i ever find Nawazuddin doing a bad acting but yes a lot of credit goes to bad dialogues too and institutional jokes. In contrary Amitab Bachchan did a good job , but his character was too similar to his character in Wazir. Vidya Balan didn't get much to do , but what ever she did , i didn't find it interesting. Direction was bad too , the scenes didn't synced between themselves. The flow was not good. And also there was a forceful juggle in timeline to create confusion in audience. The conclusion was not very much shocking , a little attention and you could guess it before it came. Although i was so bored that i stopped trying after sometime. Still i was not shocked by it when it came. The investigative scenes were not interesting enough , and also many things felt liked just being happened by luck (like Amitab Bachchan found out of nowhere a girl wearing the cap which belongs to his grand daughter who was kidnapped and murdered 8 long years before). I simply cant recommend this movie . i didn't even found it as a time pass movie to watch at home. its just slow and boring. 5.3/10.. ANuP APu KuMaR.
  • Warination12 July 2016
    Very rare dramatic thriller
    I saw this movie very late when they launched the DVD for this flick.I have not seen trailer before so i had no idea about the plot.Story is very slow and well constructed and thrilling is antic(i do not know how to describe).A man (john) who lost his grandchild 8 years ago,still searches for the guilty.While watching this movie,i did not know that i was dealing with a memorable thriller.This movie reminds me of Hugh Jackman's Prisoner.A must watch movie for those who really cares about good movies and supports this kind of thrilling.Before watching this movie i would like to tell you that you must watch it in vacant time when you are not distracted by anything else because plot is very slow and you may loose you interest in some scenes.
  • ABHISHEK JAT15 December 2016
    The riveting story and screenplay makes this suspense thriller worth watching.
    Spoiler Alert!!

Plot: The story revolves around an old man John (Amitabh B) who is looking for the person who kidnapped his grand daughter eight years ago. Martin (Nawazuddin) is a priest who was a cop earlier. Sarita (Vidya B) is a cop who seeks help from the priest because a child is kidnapped in the exact same way as John's grand daughter was kidnapped. These three leading characters try to solve the case in their own way. The rest of the story has many twists and turns and revealing anything more would spoil the fun.

Whats good: 1. Story: The story seems to be simple at first but later becomes complex which keeps you glued to your seat. 2. Screenplay: There are many time lines in the film and the way they are presented is very good and demands intelligence from the audience. 3. Climax: The climax of the movie synchronizes with the flow of the story and does not seem to be intentionally placed. 3. Acting: Amitabh is exceptional in his role. The actor in him always delivers what you expect from him.

Whats not: 1. Some scenes like the wedding sequence in the church seem childish and should have been cut out from the movie. 2. Some scenes are repetitive in order to explain the story to the audience but are not required as we already figure it out.
  • Sharad Patel5 August 2016
    An interesting movie with a unique theme.
    TE3N is based on the Korean thriller Montage, a film about a grandfather's helplessness, his quest for justice and closure that catches you by the neck and keeps you on the edge of your seats in anticipation of a new twist until the end!

This 138 minute film by Ribhu Dasgupta with its captivating star cast is a must watch. Amitabh Bachchan gives his yet another power- packed performance as a bereaved grandfather. His inexorable and relentless hunt despite the old age, an erratic scooter and his wheelchair- bound wife makes his struggle seem your own! Even Nawazuddin and Vidya Balan have played their part with sheer competence and brilliance.

I felt nostalgic watching it remembering my grandparents' and the unconditional love they showered upon me. It perfectly depicts how the death of the youngest member of the family affects the lives of the elders, how time just stops, when all you wish is for the days to pass, the trouble to overcome the grief and how the guilt simply does not let you live!
  • ckhan252 August 2016
    A brilliant movie
    The Indian public as a whole gave this movie negative ratings and the movie was considered a flop, I wonder, was it because the movie had a story to tell rather than the usual song and dance, was it because the movie is character driven as opposed to dumbo actors who are more full- time models and no-time actors or is it because the movie makes you think.

To be honest i don't know. In my opinion this move is excellent, Amitabh is just amazing, supported by a strong cast of Nawaz and Vidya. The movie is remake of the Korean movie Montage and I have to say the movie is on par with the original.

The movie catches you from the get go, a grandfather wanting to know who kidnapped his grand-daughter, the story progresses in a very intelligent manner and gradually unravels itself.

If nothing else watch this movie for the legend that is Amitabh Bachchan who continues to excel with every role that he takes on.
  • shanayjhaveri_312 June 2016
    Good performance bad direction
    Suspense thriller with Amitabh Bachchan being Amitabh Bachchan with natural acting abilities. Nawazuddin has done much better roles, this one was dry but well played. Vidya Balan was in no way just a "guest appearance" but not an exciting role either. The story is flawed with several errors in the plot and story line, which I would not like to spoil for those who haven't seen it. The background score is simple and unimaginative. The story is set in Kolkatta and reminiscent to Sujoy's far superior Kahaani with both Nawaz and Vidya, has similar settings and used more or less same things to portray the city. The only reason to watch this movie is probably to get that annual Amitabh Bachchan fan dose.
  • kichdi18 September 2016
    Good story but very poor voice of Amitabh
    Te3n is a good movie with fairly good acting by all the 3 protagonists, none of them looked very good but Amitabh was still the best of the 3. It is a story of tit for tat kind thriller. The weakest link was Amitabh's old man voice, I do not know who made him talk with such rubbish voice or it is his own making, his voice is a shame nowadays in movies. Earlier he would talk so clearly & also when delivering old Deewar's dialogues which he is requested to mouth them time and again, he delivers those dialogues so clearly but wonder what happens in new movies he is not a shade of what he was as an actor and for his voice. Nawaz & Vidya's voices were so normal but Amithabh's was never. He is whispering dialogues nowadays.
  • prateekhemdev20 August 2016
    Excellent Performances with Predicable Plot!
    Te3n is a movie that happens when Bollywood tries to recreate the magic of kahaani. The first half of the movie is extremely slow and one can't help but feel joy when the story reaches the interval. Once the story unfolds in the second half one doesn't seem to care about the kidnapping and the ending is disappointing to say the least. The acting is the only element that binds it together and Amitabh Sir and Nawaz have given brilliant performances. The chemistry between Vidya Balan and John is totally disconnected. I would go with 4 out of 10 because of the seniority of the actors but for busy working professionals it is better to give this a skip.
  • DareDevilKid10 July 2016
    Te3n Review: Quite Engrossing, Not Quite So Thrilling
    Reviewed by: Dare Devil Kid (DDK)

Rating: 3/5 stars

A thriller that hits multiple notes and evokes diverse emotions from a viewer during its 2-hour+ duration, Te3n is one of those movies that amazes you at times and frustrates you at others. It has the potential to keep you riveted at the edge of your seat, but it's content with making you sit attentively at most.

From the opening scene itself, you feel like you could be in for a treat. The frail yet unmistakably imposing presence of Amitabh Bachchan as an old man, surveying a busy police precinct is exactly the type of scene that leaves the audience wondering – what could have happened? Enter Vidya Balan as the chief inspector, with a calm yet no- nonsense demeanor, who tries to comfort Bachchan for something tragic in his past that still haunts him; and the story is set up really well within the first 15 minutes itself.

Bachchan plays John Biswas, a man who refuses to give up hope on finding the murderer of his only grandchild, even when all others around him – law-enforcers and family alike – have decided to move on. Eight years after the crime remains unsolved, John's intent and conviction of finding the culprit remains steadfast as ever. Almost like a man possessed with a single-minded focus, John's steely resolve goes unnoticed behind his meek, shabby, and harmless outlook. And nailing this multi-faceted complex character to the hilt is that old warhorse, the performer of all performers, the Big B. It's unbelievable how this man excels in every little nuance, every slight emotion; reinventing himself in each character he plays even without seeming like he's trying to. Just when you think what more can Amitabh offer on screen, along he comes with another act to marvel in awe. Additionally, his rendition of the song Kyun Re that plays in the background of one emotional scene is the icing on the cake. Two other songs also play in the background, but they hamper the narrative more than taking it forward.

But this is no one-man show. Bachchan enlists Nawazuddin Siddiqui in his quest, regardless if he wishes to aid him or not. Nawaz plays Father Martin, an ex-cop turned priest, who was also, incidentally, the cop in charge of rescuing John's granddaughter all those years ago. He leaves the force as a result of the severe mental trauma experienced when he couldn't save the kid in time. Though he seeks the priesthood as an outlet to find peace and move on, John isn't quite ready to let him retire to a life of prayer and service just yet.

However, when another kidnapping occurs eight years later, with exactly the same M.O. as John's granddaughter's case, it's exactly the stimulant Martin needs to spring back into action. And spring back he does because this is Nawaz we're talking about. He plays the perfect foil to Bachchan's meatier character, and together, the two play off each other admirable to set us on a wild goose chase. Sandwiched between them is Balan as the cop in charge of the current case, and she's like the mayonnaise that makes the sandwich all the more scrumptious. In fact, Balan has got a substantial supporting role in Te3n, and why she's credited with a guest appearance is best left answered to the makers themselves. Both Balan and Nawaz are at the top of their game. The only thing is that they come up against a veteran, who's not only got a much meatier role, but has years more experience behind him.

So, if everything works so smoothly, what's the issue, you may ask. Well, that's the thing – if things only move along so smoothly, it's because these three actors ensure that they rise above the narrative whenever it threatens to steer off-course. Though Te3n is based on a brilliant Korean film called Montage, what separates the two is the pace and the handling of intricate portions. Director Ribhu Dasgupta does a fine job as long as he's moving the thriller along by the numbers. But the moment the screenplay (well adapted by Suresh Nair, Ritesh Shah, and Bijesh Jayarajan) demands that he looks at things with a complex eye, the inconsistencies in the flow become too evident to overlook. Plus, he decides to play such scenarios by dropping the pace to almost a crawl, wherein he muddles the difference between a slow-burning thriller and just a slow thriller. Also, the big twist that comes in the end satisfies you without exactly leaving you stunned, which would have been fine had Dasgupta not set up the story for an earth-shattering revelation. And that's where the performances of Te3n become all the more crucial to keeping you interested in what's going on.

Te3n may not be the thriller you're expecting, but it still is a thriller that you'd be content walking away from. It had the potential to be so much more, but, thankfully, it at least does enough with that potential to leave a good enough impression on you. With its performances and some suspenseful scenes that hit the mark, Te3n will make for a decent trip to the cinema this weekend.
  • Abhay Bhatt12 June 2016
    Absurd and idiotic way to fool the audience and create suspense!
    When you encounter a scene in a movie which is chronologically ahead or behind from what was just been shown in the movie, there is a 'Note' which appears at the bottom of the screen which is something like "7 years before" or "6 months after". Or when you encounter scenes from different times, intermixed with each other, this fact is always made obvious to the audience. In other words, it is not very difficult to infer that there are two different stories being played simultaneously which are from different times(in movie context).

In my opinion, if a filmmaker chooses to hide this information in a way that makes his audience believe that all scenes are in chronological order, while in fact they aren't, and uses this to create suspense and thrill - then this entertainment is totally artificial, and this can and should be, only perceived as an idiotic attempt to deceive and fool the audience! And this movie is full of that!