User Reviews (4)

• A story about how two people with nothing to lose meet in unlikely situation. It seems that Hollywood has taken a liking to darker and grim themed films lately, but The Sweet Life has a somewhat lighter and humorous approach. Which, with the sublime acting of Chris Messina and Abigail Spencer makes this movie a great watch. The chemistry the characters they play have on screen is amazing and I could see them being together in real life. The only thing I disliked was the message it was sending about depression and how it could be avoided. But that's just my opinion. You should watch and see it for yourself!
    My wife and I watched this at home as a Netflix streaming movie. I like the "everyman" persona Messina communicates, in 'Giant Mechanical Man' four years ago I wrote about his character "feeling a bit lost in the world and a bit fed up" with his direction. His character in this movie is not too different.

The two main characters are Chris Messina as Kenny Pantalio and Abigail Spencer as Lolita Nowicki. One evening they meet quite by accident, she is on one of the downtown bridges over the Chicago River when he walks up and leans on the railing. The unspoken idea is that he is contemplating suicide. They don't seem to have much in common, and are pretty much opposite personality types, but they walk together. He is still dressed in his day uniform peddling ice cream from his push cart, white pants, white jacket and bow tie.

As they pass a fancy restaurant a man drives up in an expensive car and hands Kenny the keys, mistaking him for the parking valet. As the stranger goes inside Kenny and Lolita (not her real name we later learn) look at each other, again with an unspoken idea, "Let's take this car and get out of here." She suggests San Francisco and after he cogitates for a while decides to be game about it.

So all that happens at the very beginning to set the stage, neither seems to have anything to lose and they set off with little cash and zero preparation. The movie is really about their road trip, the situations they get into and how they get out of them, eventually getting to S.F.

This is a quirky, inventive smaller movie that works just right for Messina and Spencer as the two misfits that band together. In the end, after barely surviving, they just might be able to help each other navigate a better path through life.
    It is surprising to me the movie isn't more popular. I never heard of it and it only has 3 critic reviews. Yet it is such a great and original movie. I wish more will get to see it.

It took me in from the beginning and I was into the story until the very end. Enjoying every scene without predicting it. Sure, it ended the way I expected it would but everything in between was a great and interesting journey.

Actors are wonderful. They have a great chemistry and also let us to get to know their characters and start loving them. Secondary characters are also very good. I loved the redneck gay couple going to spread grandma's ashes at UFO museum. The scenes with them were pretty awesome. One almost wants to watch a movie about them on their road trip.

One problem of this movie and why it isn't more popular could be "the inaccurate portrayal of mental illness". At least based on two of the three critic reviews I read. They were whining about it. To the ones who think the same: this isn't a documentary. Get over it. I kind of hate times we live in because of this.
  • 2 people on the brink of suicide happen to meet at the Chicago river where one is contemplating jumping. Since they have nothing to lose, the other decides that it would be a good idea to take a road trip to the Golden Gate Bridge instead to end their lives there. The chemistry is great between the two main characters. Acting is great as well. It's a dry comedy. Was pleasantly surprised to stumble upon due never hearing of it before. Thumbs up.