User Reviews (22)

A screening of Haofeng Xu's latest martial art picture, his fourth feature and the fresh winner of BEST ACTION CHOREOGRAPHY in 2015 Golden Horse Awards, Haofeng, the co-screenwriter of Kar Wai Wong's THE GRANDMASTER (2013), has already manifested his unique philosophy and choreography of wushu since his shoestring budget second film THE SWORD IDENTITY (2011).

Although the follow-up JUDGE ARCHER (2012) still hasn't secured a release date in mainland China, THE MASTER undoubtedly is Haofeng's most ambitious and mainstream work to date, with a more bankable cast, lead by Liao as the master Chen, a southern master of Wing Chun, arrives in Tianjin during the beginning of 20th century, trying to open his own Kung-fu school, but there are certain rules he must obey in the flourishing martial art world, he marries Zhao (Jia Song), a sultry waitress in a posh restaurant and recruits a protégé Gen (Yang Song), whom he personally trains to be his stepping stone to astonish the local schools, which is firstly governed by Master Zhen (Jin), whom Chen makes a pact with to attain his goal. But soon he is usurped by the widow Ms. Zhou (Jiang), who burns with ambition and colludes with the warlord Lin (Huang), a former pupil of Zhen, together they vainly attempt to militarise all the Kung-fu schools, whereas Gen and Chen become the last stumbling blocks in their way.

What genuinely makes Haofeng's style so distinctive? Visually speaking, it is his idiosyncratic close-combat motion, the fast-moving and rapidly-editing techniques which transform combat skills from being aesthetically elegant (i.e. oriental gravity-defying jumping and flying) to something embedded with ritualistic devotion and awesome mastery, which is unsparingly efficient (sometimes even minimal) and deceivingly realistic, also, a glut of ancient Chinese weapons can maximally pique interest from viewers. On the other hand, thematically speaking, THE MASTER evokes the connotations of "anti-Kung-fu world", a rather bleak take on the conservative and fickle characteristics of these so-called martial artists, their mercenary pursuit trumps the noble idea of passing the knowledge on to their successors, Chen and Gen's master- and-apprentice relation is hinged solely on the former's personal interest, and the latter is a pawn whom he can desert without blinking his eyes, more complicated is his marriage with Zhao, and his rapport with Zhen, there is something pretty dark in Chen's motive to earn his name, yet the villainess Zhou can outsmart him in every step, for her self-seeking purpose though, only one misstep (one cannot overthrow all the formulae of a well-established genre), there is no one in her team can beat master Chen.

As a Kung-fu film, THE MASTER has a surprisingly low body count (only 2 major characters die in the film), killing becomes inhuman and utterly unnecessary when paralysing your opponents is sufficient enough to soldier on relentlessly. With an unhurried open ending, the story is far from taking its curtain call while a subsequent cat-and-mouse game is shaping up, Haofeng shows his confidence of a sure-fire sequel in the future. The cast is a shade uneven while veteran players Liao, Jin and Jiang all shine with impressive presences. Still, sometimes the dialogues need a bit more fine-tuning to sound believable under certain contexts, however, one sure thing is that Haofeng Xu has stoutly emerged as one of the most aspiring director radiant with an auteurist flair presently, in the traditional Chinese Kung-fu territory, who is worthy of the admiration from a much larger scale of spectators!
  • I could not disagree more with the reviewer who calls this a "laughable" movie. I did not see the whole movie, only the fight scene where the main character uses his Bart Cham Dao to defeat his challengers. Of course the movie is "choreographed". All martial arts movies are, and especially this one where nothing but real blades are used could not be filmed otherwise.

The choreography is probably the best I have seen in the entire series of "Ip Man" movies. I have never seen a fight scene involving the Wing Chun double blades that had better timing and more realistic techniques and exchanges than this one. Over-dramatized? Of course. That's what martial arts movies are all about. But here it was done in a credible way that leaves you with the impression that the actors actually know what they are doing and have practiced for a long time in real life.
  • If you are looking for funny or fancy kungfu actions, this is probably not your best choice. This movie shows the real kungfu: simple but effective moves, moves that you would see if you ever fight with a real world kungfu fighter. Being a Chinese, I grew up watching kungfu movies.If all you can see are fighting scenes, then it's merely a Chinese boxing movie. Kungfu is a sport, a fighting skill, but most of all a philosophy, or at the very least, a particular set of values. In this movie, the ideal philosophy of kungfu is greatly challenged. You'll see the authentic Chinese traditional values of family, factions, love and teacher-student relationship. No heroes, but only characters who are struggling with honors, duties and survival in a special historic setting. Perhaps not everyone would love this movie, but I guarantee you this story is not a cliché.
  • I'd like to bring to your attention a movie that I have recently had the pleasure of seeing that I'm sure will excite any fan of the martial arts movie genre..The film is called " The Final Master" by writer/director Xu Haofeng, which I believe is a classic and transitive martial arts film that will,if built upon, move the martial arts genre to another level. For the martial arts fight fan the film is filled with inventive and skillfully conceived martial arts action sequences that will excite, surprise and amaze you and for the average moviegoer presents the martial arts film aesthetic within a captivating story with powerful dramatic conflict and fascinating characters.that offers a great time at the movies that anyone can relate to.

Comparisons will be made to movies like Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon , Hero and Ip Man but I believe it is superior to them all in the way it honors the martial arts movie genre while at the same time transcending it.Its foundation is a genre trope that fans know all too well. A martial arts master travels to a foreign city to make a name for himself and his style. While most martial films would stop at this point the writer/director Haofeng ventures much deeper to construct a multi layered tapestry of trust, loyalty, love, betrayal and personal struggle that vacillates between a delicate touch and a hammering iron fist. This range of conflict is what distinguishes it and gives this film its impact.

What I enjoy most about this film is how the director does an excellent job of blending dramatic conflict and martial arts action.so that every fight in the film is essential in propelling the story forward and sets the stage for escalating dramatic conflict that makes the fighting pay off in emotionally powerful ways.. And this does not take away from the spectacular action is that is on display here as the fight choreographers did a tremendous job of juxtaposing spectacular and complicated fight sequences with a seemingly true to life realism that elevates it above most martial arts exploitation fare. This is less a martial arts movie per se and more of a dramatic story with some of the most powerfully executed realistic looking martial arts you have ever seen on film, its subtle power is truly breathtaking..Oh yes .. I forgot to mention that most of the fights are done in close quarter with razor sharp blades.

Martial arts movies are oftentimes, and deservedly so, relegated to second class cinema, but with a compelling dramatic story and dynamic fight sequences blended together to form an organically entertaining cohesive whole, it is movies like " The Final Master" that will demonstrate why fans of the genre love these movies and why it is that films of this caliber that will keep the genre alive and growing for many years to come. The Final Master is a significant milestone in the evolution of martial arts cinema.
  • ...before i say anything about this fine movie..i like to say something about the first review which is also used by IMDb. Is this guy a communist agent under a false name? Obviously the person has so much hate towards the movie that one can fel the venom. Hahaha..we know you are a communist schmuck trying to undermine a good movie. What was wrong with this movie? you wouldn't know a good movie if it hit you in the face...Morrisstang..hahaha.

Obviously you are a state paid stooge trying to undermine a very good movie. Unfortunately...i don't think your efforts are going to hurt this movie...because it was a very good movie.

Now about this fine movie...beautifully shot...story was intriguing...actors n actressess were in fine form. Ohhh...the fights scenes were beautifully choreographed..n..for kung fu lovers..there was plenty of fights in this movie.

Although its nothing we have not seen in a Chinese kung fu movie, evrybody was in fine form n overall it was a fine watch. Loved that Shaw superstar..Chen Kuan Tai had a nice cameo fight scene in this movie. Morrissatang compared this to old bad Shaw Brothers movies..hahaha..plenty of people are admirers of those movies you schmuck.

By the way this is Shaw Brothers multiplied by 100..it was that much better then.

you wouldn't know a good movie if you got hit in the face by one. Keep watching the old commie b/w movies portraying fake heroes..hahaha.

Thats all i am going to write...people don't let morrisstang influence your decision on a very good movie. its won awards..just not in mainland china...thats all. Watch the movie and make up your own mind. If you are a fan of good kung fu movies n good movies in general...you'll be glad you watched it.
    First, this isn't a typical wirefu flick with a simplistic plot that centers around the theme of vengeance or political intrigues involving evil eunuchs.

It is about honour, reputation of the martial arts schools, the social and changing political climate of early century China. There aren't really good or evil parties, there is tradition and resignation towards the impending militarization of China, the real emerging power at work.

The film is thus alternately more realistic in the absence of the usual outlandish plot line and yet still not quite believable in those "1 vs 100" fight scenes that are typical of this genre, though the gore and death count are respectfully, authentically low. The fighting is filmed without wires, CGI or camera gimmicks, they aren't as stunning as a Yuen Woo Ping choreographed sequence, but I enjoyed the more realistic style of fighting throughout. Authentic details such as how judges mark the pugilists in competitions in the old days are also eye-opening and much appreciated for the knowledge aspect.

I gave it a higher rating because of the wry humour, cryptic dialogue that reveals more complex persona and histories behind the characters. The sparse "Northern" way of filming is more abstract and evocative. I hope the English subtitles do not confuse or disappoint as the narrative is interesting .
  • Tianjin in 1932 is full of martial arts schools, and there are strict rules for bringing in new ones. So when Master Chen (Liao Fan) comes to town with the aim of starting his own school, he finds that he must first recruit one or more apprentices, train them for three years and then have them defeat no less than 8 of the established schools before getting one of his own. But the person defeating those schools might be exiled from Tianjin forever, and there are more forces than the school masters who have a stake in the outcome…. About halfway through this film, I realized I had completely lost the plot, but as a friend of mine pointed out, by the halfway point plot is kind of meaningless anyway; one watches this film for the beautifully choreographed fight scenes and admiration for how sophisticated martial arts can be. I've not seen a million of these films, but have seen more than a few, and what most intrigued me about this one was its setting; most martial arts films that I've seen are set in the distant or at least centuries'- ago past, whereas this is 1932, relatively modern and complete with Caucasian extras throughout the story-line. And of course, short years before complete mayhem erupted there. Interesting!
  • A Wing Chun master (Fan Liao of "Black Coal, Thin Ice") has to defeat eight martial arts schools to open his own school. At the same time, he has become a chess piece in the local power dynamics.

Right off the bat, anyone who loves good cinematography is going to appreciate "The Final Master". Director of photography Tianlin Wang brings with him a rich color palette that makes even the opening credits appear sharp and vibrant. The hues and crispness bring to life this time period in ways that only a great man behind the camera can. Accompanied by an interesting score composed of horns and strings (thanks to Wei An), we almost have a noir or mystery feel.

There is a fascinating mix of Asian and European cultures, with the Chinese embracing certain elements of upper class British culture. For those in the West, it is usually the American or Englishman in a story who wanders into the foreign land ("the Orient")… seeing things from the Chinese perspective is a nice switch. The inclusion of Belarusian dancers is also a nice touch, adding in a third component of cross-culture. Not only is there the dominant East-meets-West aspect, but a Soviet bloc piece, as well, which fits in neither one side or the other.

While the reviewer's knowledge of martial arts and its history is admittedly limited, there is something strange about the film referring to our hero as the last of the Wing Chun masters. Today, Wing Chun is known as the martial arts variant of Ip Man, Bruce Lee and even Robert Downey, Jr of all people. Perhaps this was lost in translation, but it defies belief that the ancient art was known by only one man in 1930 before becoming the most popular form of "kung fu" today.

Those looking for a classic, Shaw Brothers-style movie should be aware that the hand-to-hand martial arts is limited in this picture. However, the blade-on-blade action is intense and more than makes up for it. Every possible variation of sword, axe, dagger and more is utilized, including some that seem impossibly large to wield. In an era (1930s Tianjin) where guns were plentiful, it is fascinating that there is some level of honor about what is allowed in combat.

Historical nitpicks aside, this is a great film with beautiful cinematography and plenty of action. We also get a great supporting character in Madame Zou, played by Wenli Jiang ("Farewell My Concubine"). The movie was nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay at the 52nd Golden Horse Film Awards, as well as Best Supporting Actress and Best Choreography. It rightfully won in the latter category. North American audiences now get a chance to see the picture, as it screens July 16 at the Fantasia International Film Festival.
  • I went into this motion picture expecting more of a Kung Fu extravaganza (although the last showdown in the film was pretty bad ass).

When the movie opens and the lead actor explains that he is a Wing Chun master I was totally expecting a rip off of Ip man, but with swords instead of fist. Though the movie showcases that screeching sound two swords make during signature Wing Chun blade fights this movie does not hold a candle to the Ip Man Franchise.

Like Ip Man, it's both a drama and an action flick, but to both genres I felt Ip Man was far more compelling. As this movie try to do both it became unbalanced trying to sustain it.

I found the drama too dry and weak to want to pay attention to it. I thought the wing Chun was just OK due to fast cuts that make it seem like the movie had no one in it who was a master of the style. In fact the whole movie seem to be cut together at a pace that makes neither genre work well for me.

I did appreciate some scenes where it looked like the camera shot was paying homage to old school Kung Fu flicks and the art direction does really take you back to the 1920s, but honestly this movie moved too slow and had too much to take in to really entertain.
    The story about Wing Chun master seems will not come to an end in few years to come. The latest is The Master (The Final Master), bring a fictitious Wing Chun last torchbearer, Chen Shi. Xu Haofeng as the scriptwriter, known also for his thrilling fictional side story of Ip Man, The Grandmaster as well as The Sword Identity, once again come with slow pace progressive plot. Unfortunately, the more complex he try to become, the more this movie stranded from clear point of view. Politic and intrigue surely is a modest and common things happens everyday, but Haofeng fail to deliver a gripping story. More than half part of this movie going encircling, dog chasing tail situations. And almost at the end, the story become unraveled. Which means quite frustrating for average viewer. The story fail to grasp the essence of Tao and Buddhism spirit as the foundation of Chinese martial art world.

Haofeng seems lack of confident about Wing Chun and Chinese martial art world. Thus, it affects the fighting choreography throughout the movie. Let us back at the moment when Donnie Yen movie, Wu Xia hit the market. Wu Xia was carefully set. Every detail orchestrated from the very beginning to the end. The fighting scenes was so immensely beautiful.

Back to Xu Haofeng film, the northern gong-fu poorly resembled. The secret society just like a kids tale. The using of monstrous blade remind me of Sagara Sanosuke's Zanbato in Rurouni Kenshin manga. I can't recall any blade like that in many gong-fu films. As far as I know, the biggest and the longest blade belong to General Guan Yu. For me, that is merely ridiculous rather than fascinating scenes. Not to mention the blade bearer, at their late age, I can't imagine any old person having such a big energy to hold the blade that nearly 2 m tall. Even using both hand, the blade is just too big.

While the entire film illustrated in dark and dingy cinematography as a metaphor of how complicated the situations around Tianjin during revolution era, after the fall of Qing dynasty. I personally think, that dark theme is the most favored among many Wuxia movies, thus it is too generic, and lack of characteristic. The Master was also dubious in term of editing. A bit of fast cutting, and at many scenes feel almost static.
  • The Final Master

This martial arts movie based on the fighting style of Wing Chun. Now going into this movie I saw the trailer and thought 'oh cool they'll use weapons instead of just punching and kicking.' Yeah the whole entire movie is based off of dagger fighting.

Chen Shi, played by Fan Liao, has to defeat eight martial arts schools to open his own. He fears that he's growing too old and decides to set up a betrayal, matchstick-men style. Only this time, with daggers. He was very believable and his martial arts is up there with some of my favorites.

Zhao Guihui, played by Jia Song, is a part of the chess game that the main character is playing. She is strong and adamant about not leaving her home town. She can be a bit over the top with her acting. Plenty of silent harrumphing, if I could sum up her performance.

Master Zou, played by Wenli Jiang, looks like a man at first. Then she speaks, and then on closer look she actually looks good. She does a wonderful performance as a local mob(?) boss? She works for the military? Her role in the movie was sort of implied. She even says in the movie "I'm not a gangster." which is something a gangster would say.

Speaking of context, the movie loves to see if your paying attention.

Little scenes like: Chen Shi is leaving being escorted out by nameless guards. He looks back for a moment. Turns to walk out. Immediately he turns around again and rushes back to the camera. Now revealed he was looking at his wife, Zhao Guihui. He eyes her closely and shouts "Look at me." She looks away. Defeated, Chen Shi walks out of the room.

Without knowing everything up until this point, this scene without any context is short and still a lot is spoke. This being a subtitled film, it's almost destined to not do well in the states. The fact that the film is on the level of Christopher Nolan, when it comes to subtext, means it'll be even more confusing for the movie going audience.

Verdict: If you want to see martial arts, pick up The Raid, Ip Man, or Ong-Bak. Once you've seen all of those, perhaps give this a chance.
  • jingtuzi3334 August 2017
    this is quite a good movie, at least for the past few years it has to be one of the best kong fu/ fighting movies. however it is quite subtle, and the relationships are complicated, i'm afraid the foreigners may not understand this, if you are only looking for some action scene then...well , this is not that shallow.
    I would say I like Xu haofeng's story,and those act in the movie.Because it's more like real.

We have a saying that "martial when rich,literal when poor".As a Chinese I can feel why there is an agreement that they won't teach the student the real kungfu in the wuhang(the martial school industry) .Thouth leaders in wuhang takes it a business, the military is still not satisfied with it if it's not in its control.Only obvious with those things you can be aware of the pressing atmosphere.

And for our main character,his story is be about the regular one.Aging,self-awareness,smriti,career,sort of things.Point is though got those fancy martial arts Shi is a new-comer, you cannot just break into the business.The dramatic thing is when he just be about to get into the wuhang circle Shi found out the circle is going to rot itself,then Shi began to realise what (his fake wife and apprentice) he planed to sacrifice in the first place to began his own business is what he was seeking to nurture his hollow heart.Sounds just like Aristocracy,thing of that sort. The plot is kind of cliché,but the way it develop makes it attractive.

The main characters are allattractive though the dialogues are a little bit attitudinize,I think maybe the director want those for humor reasons.Well,I really like this movie, the actions are cool and chilly,the emotions touch me deeply. I don't like Bruce lee's movies and IP man.Given the idea those movies were meaning to break the stereotype of Chinese being humble and weak,I still don't like the arrogance those movies carried out.Xu Haofeng's movie gives a new feeling, it's just a story, no defending things,no mustering courage,I'm just telling you a good story.This movie makes me feel more adult things,something that more mature.I don't know ,though Bruce Lee have those water theory, mixed kungfu theory,still,in his movie, the only thing we can see is punch and kick,not bad, but we need more.

This movie tells a lot things like how a master takes his apprentice a son,how a aging leader feels his weakness,and the underclass-folks' loyalty,those things are kind of peripheral in this movie but they are what this movie gradiant.
  • This film have signed up several famous actors and actresses to play the key roles in it. For these actors, acting on such poorly crafted, so pretentious, laughable screenplay were no fun at all. The laughable dialog of this film controlled their acting and have forced all of them to become poor actors through and through. The whole movie just looked so extremely pretentious that you have to force yourself going back to the laughable Shaw Brothers' Kung-Fu martial art era to watch this similar film like watching a Shaw Brothers' product in complete 'Emperor's New Clothes', the only difference is new stunt choreographs, new settings, new costumes and new pretentious characters and worst of all, nudity that almost never appeared in Shaw Brothers' Kung-Fu films.

The fighting scenes in this film was exactly like what we have seen in those Shaw Brothers' shallow and superfluous martial art films, the fights between or among those roles were extremely choreographically staged, all the participants, leading or not leading in this film were trying so hard to look dramatically cool, yet at the same time unavoidably and inevitably became so pretentious and poor in performance since every movement including their facial expressions were guided under one of the worst screenplay and dialog that every appeared in a major budgeted films.

The screenplay was just horrible, the characters created in this film were just terrible, albeit absurd. Since the lousy dialog controlled the flow of the moronic scenario and plot, everybody just became poor actor. My heart went out to the female young actress who had to expose her naked body and flesh so unnecessarily, those scenes were required by the screenplay, the director and the investors to make her signing-up money worthy. The crab eating habit was another stupid and meaningless arrangement. As long as the stupid screenplay and plots went, it just became more and more pretentious and ridiculous. The only benefit of shooting and producing this film was so many background supporting actors made some money to pay their bills, and nothing more.

In summary, this was one of the most pretentious and laughable films added to the Chinese martial art genre. Still watchable, but first, you have to put yourself in a numb and trance-line self-hypnotized condition like trying to read the high school textbooks.
  • dcarsonhagy25 July 2017
    This is the FIRST Asian martial-arts themed movie I have ever rated this low...and I've seen a lot of bad martial-arts movies.

"The Final Master" tells a story, albeit poorly, about a Master Wing Chun martial artist who, in order to be able to open his own temple, must defeat eight other Masters. You would think that would be interesting and you would be woefully wrong.

Everything in this movie is awful: the acting, the fight scenes, the choreography, the directing, and the stupid (and never-ending) dialogue. It moves at a snail's pace and, although not that long, seems to take an eternity to finish. The choreography for the fight scenes was atrocious. It looked staged, as no movements were fluid (let alone quick).

Rated PG-13 for some skin and lots of bloodless violence.
  • "The Final Master" (or just 'Master', as the 'Shīfu' of the original title means) is an interesting martial arts movie, with great atmosphere, camera work and music, but not so good action.

The story is simple. Here we have a Wing Chun master (must all kung fu masters have to be Wing Chun masters?; oh, well...) that wants to open a school in Tianjin. He just can't do it, so he decides to choose a random guy from the streets, and teach him his art. The plan is that the apprentice may go and fight masters from other schools, and when he defeats over 8, the master can open his own school. However, then the apprentice will have to be sacrificed so the other schools don't lose face...

The story is not very complicated, but Haofeng Xu's direction goes for moody and atmospheric, a very specific camera work and edit, with short cuts and a little bit tongue-in-cheek style, not so common on martial arts movies. It perfectly suits the movie, and makes it have a very interesting tinge.

Sadly, the action doesn't deliver as it should. It may be realistic (I am not an expert on this kind of knife fighting), but it doesn't grip the viewer as it could. It just looks a little bit fake, and the fights lack some energy. There is not much originality in the movements, the locations or the pace of the fights, and they don't have as much tension as they should. That lack of tension becomes more and more clear as the ending gets closer.

"The Final Master" will be enjoyed by martial arts fans, but it feels like a half-baked effort.
  • Don't waist your time with this. Boring and nonsense movie. Sometimes i don't understand the ratings people give to some movies like this one or the awards the movies receive. This is simply a stupid movie with a sensless story and a terrible waist of time. Avoid!
  • greyfith22 July 2018
    Poor writing, pretentious, lack of resolution. The only worthwhile scene from this film is the alley fight. Reviewers lauding t his film as some sort of modern martial arts rebirth are grasping at straws.
  • This is an incredibly underrated and unheard-of film. The Kung fu scenes are amazing as is the philosophy behind the fighting which is never really shown in movies. Go watch it to gain insight into the art of Kung fu. (Underrated Chinese move).
    THE FINAL MASTER is another mainland Chinese martial arts film which comes across as an open copy of the splendid IP MAN franchise. Sadly, the writing is all over the place here, turning what is a very straightforward storyline into something obtuse and obscure, with rival characters dominating the screen and a choppy narrative to boot. The hero, a Wing Chun master striving to prove his supremacy in a town filled with other masters, comes across as arrogant and selfish, his wife even more so. It says something when the only likeable characters in the film are the couple's dog and a cameo from legendary Shaw Brothers tough guy Chen Kuan Tai. The film's action scenes aren't too shabby, featuring some intricate choreography at times, but when there's no vestige of a decent plot to support them then it doesn't really matter all that much.
  • waitandhope23 November 2017
    I watched this recently and had no idea what to expect. It turned out to be a fairly good film with some confusing twists. Not everything made sense to me but I found it entertaining at least. Many events taking place feel forced into importance, meaning very little to me since I don't have any historical perspective on this era. Overall it's worth watching once but wow the ending wasn't what I'd expected.
    Chen Shi, the master travels from Canton north to Tianjin, in hopes of opening a school. He takes himself a wife for cover. He is the last master of the Wing Chun knife fighting method. In order to open a school, he must train an apprentice to defeat 8 masters of the 19 schools. Now for the part I didn't grasp. Because the person who defeats the masters brings dishonor to the city, he must die or leave the city which is why Wing Chun doesn't fight himself. It didn't cross over culturally, but was interesting to have a peak inside China 1930's.

Lots of fighting with knives and sticks. Watched it in Chinese with English subtitles.