• Ok, I will admit my first play through was a shambles. Half of what makes up the Mass Effect universe was missing. I needed my dose of the Quarians I tell you!

However, on a second playthrough, a colleague convinced me to go in with fresh eyes, just Andromeda no Mass Effect. So I did.....

And my god this game is good. Some obvious ploys and deliberate plot holes ready for the next instalment. Which sadly looks like won't come to fruition. :( But I could have lived with story holes, knowing it will be revealed eventually in further games or DLC.

The combat is fun and worked well, the characters where a little similar to the DA:I group but hey, if it ain't broke why fix it. The voice acting was good and the story kept me interested.

It's a real shame we won't see anymore of Andromeda.
  • randy_orton_fan23 March 2017
    This is what happens when all of the people who made a game series great leave and are replaced by SJWs and people who aren't qualified to have the job they've been given. My understanding is that the lead face animator is a feminist cosplayer who was hired for the role. And boy, does it show she didn't have the qualifications or experience to do that job. And before anyone thinks it, no, it's not because she's a woman or even a feminist. It's because you can tell by the horrible face animations in the game that she didn't know what she was doing.

The game is a mess, with crazy animations and ugly characters models. The gameplay is tedious and the acting is terrible.

I borrowed this from my brother who bought it Tuesday morning, thought it was stupid and decided to trade it in to Gamestop, but let me borrow it before hand. I played it for 10 hours and want those 10 hours back.

The series should have stayed dead after the conclusion of the trilogy.
    The joking title bestowed on the game "Mass Effect Blandromeda" is fitting.

Bioware has earned a reputation for stellar writing complex and emotionally gripping scenes/situations, realistic characters and generally user-friendly games that almost anyone can pick up a controller and jump into.

None of that is true for Andromeda.

The user interface (UI) is clunky, massively cluttered and most of what is offered is completely unnecessary and can be ignored. There are far too many 'currencies' in the game depending on what you want to do (crafting an item, settling a planet, buying items, etc).

The dialogue is immersion-breaking. You get a very early taste of this on the first mission. Where there should be a silent tension as you crash land on your first planet. You've been separated from your father and the rest of the team, attempt your first communication with a new alien species and found them hostile, and then your dude bro squad-mate Liam quips "I think I made him angry. Maybe because I shot him in the face!!" Another point in the game, the protagonist Ryder is confronted with another (supposedly) emotion scene only to declare "Wow, this is some serious sh*t!" in a half bemused tone. Or I could mention Addison's now meme-worthy quip "My face is tired from...everything." In the end though it's not even the terrible animation or the stereotypical trope-y crew that really ruins Andromeda, it's the fact that they're clearly trying to be Bethesda without understanding the slightest reason why games like Skyrim and Fallout are so enjoyable and work.

Bioware clearly learned nothing from the criticisms of it's level design, overly large yet empty maps or umpteen fetch quests from Dragon Age: Inquisition which is also why many fans are calling this "Dragon Age in Space" or "Mass Effect: Inquisition" and rightfully so. It feels exactly the same as playing that did. Hours of searching around bland, overly large maps that tried to compete with Skyrim with none of the charm or effort put in to create unique areas to explore. Bethesda created over 300 unique, handcrafted dungeons, towns, caves and buildings to explore in Skyrim. Bioware apparently can't even be bothered to create more than 5 unique structures. All five planets you can land on and explore are filled with the exact same three (or so) Kett structures, just repetitively copy/pasted every 100 feet or so. I hope you like storming the exact same one or two room structure 200 times because you're going to in Andromeda.

Quests should advance the main plot, tell you something about a main character or be done to introduce you to a part of the level you haven't seen before. They should also have a certain amount of fluidity insomuch that you don't have to return to the same planet or area of the map repetitively, yet Andromeda is guilty of both so many times over. In well designed games, you generally can complete ALL the objectives/quests in a certain area and then move on and never return. In Andromeda? Want to complete this fetch quest you found from a random data-pad about a nobody you don't care about? Drive all the way back from where you came from. Now find these 16 objects scattered all over the maps. Now come back. Now go back to your ship. Now leave the planet. Now come back to the planet. Now leave the planet again and go talk to this person on another planet. Now come back to the planet. Now also check in with this person. Now come back. Now you can FINALLY go back to the very start hand it in. Enjoy that? You better because that's 98% of the quests in the game and where a good 50 hours of content is.

Shepherd never felt like a 'gofer'. Shepherd cured the genophage, united warring species, duelled with Reapers and had UNIQUE knowledge of the situation making him/her irreplaceable.

Ryder runs around picking up errant garbage for everyone who asks, scanning rocks and plants, is only one of many Pathfinders who all have the same SAM (Artificial Intelligence) unit and abilities and never feels remotely important let alone irreplaceable. In fact the Asari Pathfinder goes missing and is replaced before you get to the Asari Ark, and the Salarian Pathfinder dies during a quest and is immediately and easily replaced by a completely untrained fellow Salarian. The game almost goes out of its way to demonstrate just how UNIMPORTANT and easily replaceable a Pathfinder is.
  • Regardless of your thoughts relating to the ending of Mass Effect 3 back in 2012, at least the Bioware team making that game had the excuse of being under the gun to create something in 18 months that was not only new, but also to build upon technical advancements made in Mass Effect 2. Such a limited timescale no matter your resources, leaves little time to explore the creative aspects that often need much input and refining to really make the material into something that will be interesting, and impactful to the gamer playing it.

I do not however, have such sympathy for the team that made this mess. Who not only had over 5 years, a budget of over $40million, but most crucially a free creative pass to make almost any sort of Mass Effect game they wanted to. The drip-feed releases of screenshots and game footage showed promise, especially with Mass Effect now transitioning to the Frostbite engine. The changing of the November 2016 release date to March 2017 again showed promise, that Bioware & EA were actually going to take real care with Mass Effect after they damage they took in 2012. I myself was quite hopeful that this was going to be a great game to put things back on track.

Then we got to play the game for the 10 hour trial, and……oh my. If it wasn't a matter of public knowledge they spent 5 years on this, I'd have thought they cobbled this together in a year, and then didn't bother to QA or beta test it. If there wasn't such a thing as a 5 year rush job for a production of this nature, then Mass Effect Andromeda is the first. Graphically the game is nice, and some of the scenery can even be breath-taking, but now we get to what really brings it down. The animations, specifically character face ones. I've never seen backwards progress on such a thing until now, the ones from the original Mass Effect back in 2007 are better than these ones, and they weren't the best to begin with! With this being a game you spend hours talking to people, this is a key basic you need to get right. When characters greet the news that they've lost a friend or family member with their eyes darting around, and producing a goofy, vacuous smile like they have mental issues, then you have a fundamental problem with your game. Serious stuff ends up inducing laughter, and the actual comedy just becomes slapstick comedy since even punches characters make don't connect as if you were watching WWE.

Enemies glitch out of nowhere, your party members glitch all around you in combat, NPCs appear/vanish from thin air, some cutscenes don't trigger, some quests don't advance, dialogue in hub areas all cut one another off, so you can't listen in to any of it. Heck, there was even a bug where my character turned into something like the liquid metal T-1000 from Terminator 2!

It ends up being death by a thousand cuts, a few of those issues you could live with, but being so many of them that directly impede or taint your experience, it goes beyond farce and definitely beyond unacceptable. It's not worth talking about the story or lore, which have their own issues.

At the most basic level, Mass Effect Andromeda fails to be a good, solid game first and a Mass Effect game second. There is undoubted potential here, but it's all ruined by the awful work made of putting it together. There's so much wrong that if you couldn't laugh at it, you'd cry instead.

Don't bother getting this for at least a year, when they've hopefully fixed it or you can get it at bargain bucket prices. It's not worth your time or money in its current state, more importantly a purchase for this game now, is telling Bioware & EA that it's okay to release games in this state, and it simply isn't!
  • Like the previous games of the Mass Effect franchise, the design of Andromeda's protagonist characters are based upon real life models, both of which, as you would assume, are good looking people. The male Ryder appears as handsome as his real life counterpart, Steven Brewis, while the female Ryder is quite ugly and nothing like her real life counterpart, Jayde Rossi. Additionally, the female Ryder suffers from very strange facial animations which are often highly inappropriate considering the situations she is in, an example of this would be smiling while talking about the recent death of someone she cared deeply for.

Dialogue options in Mass Effect:Andromeda are very lacklustre with most situations only allowing 2 choices, either casual or professional. Almost all the casual responses result in cheesy one-liners and the professional choices are very similar in their intent, just without the 'humor'. When you are presented with a choice to do one thing or another, almost every single time this results in no difference whatsoever and will not affect the ending of the game or even the immediate circumstances after the choice has been made. This in my opinion means the player is without control and his or her decisions are rather meaningless.

Facial animations are terrible, example: Director Addison, an important character who the protagonist comes into contact with in the beginning of the game. When you first meet Addison she has wide open eyes that don't even blink and has no facial expression whatsoever. Addison proceeds to utter the line "my face is tired". Gamers realised that this line of dialogue was created in an attempt to somehow explain the missing facial animation for this character!

Summary. Mass Effect:Andromeda has many bugs. Enemies can and do frequently spawn up in the air and get stuck there, side tasks remain incomplete and weird NPC animations which make no sense whatsoever are quite frequent throughout the game. The characters of Mass Effect:Andromeda are uninteresting, quite ugly, badly animated and sometimes annoying. Since Mass Effect games are supposed to be role playing and team building games, this means the game loses all credibility as a role-playing game.

Notes: 2 patches have been released which (attempt) to rectify some of the animation issues and bugs but not all of the issues mentioned, however, this does not in any way excuse the state that this game was released in.

Final thoughts. It's a real shame that this game was released in such an unfinished and tarnished state. No one in their right mind would ever consider Mass Effect:Andromeda to be a triple A title like it's predecessors and as a huge fan of Mass Effect 1,2 and 3 I'm left feeling empty and cheated.
    Where do I begin? To say we waited five years for this mess would be to admit we hoped it would be good. The Mass Effect games are noted for epic story lines, larger-than-life characters and some pulse pounding action sequences. Even ME3, with its lousy ending, was good for 95% of its playtime. Andromeda, however, has none of those things.

It's a game that espouses width over quality. Huge open worlds to explore (providing that you don't go too near the "edge" and get warned to go back) and hundreds of people to talk to (providing you don't want any of that dialogue to be meaningful in any way). There is an abundance of shooty-bang-bang sequences (so long as you don't mind it all feeling like you've done it a thousand times before - because, by the end, you will have).

In all things, Mass Effect Andromeda (ME:A) is a stellar example of why devs should adhere to the old comment "less is more". Here, of course, they did the exact opposite.

Huge open planetary worlds filled with the same four or five types of animals in a variety of colour shades. Let's go to another planet! Yep, the same dinosaur and lizard monsters to shoot.

Then there are the faces. Oh God! The faces! I hope someone does a comparison with side by sides of this, and the first Mass Effect game, because the animation here is laughably bad in places. It's all done by an algorithm, you see, and not facial capture. Accordingly, the NPC's eyes dart about manically during conversations. Their faces are all rigid with the digital equivalent of Botox and when they blink, it is with their entire forehead/brow, not just the eyes. Benny Hill blinking, manic eyes and frozen faces. For a game whose pedigree relies on the interactions between the PC and the many NPC's in the game, this is unforgivably bad.

But if the animations were the worst of it, that could be overlooked. But the writing... man the writing. It is bad in the same way that SyFy channel original movies are bad. Lame dialogue and a flimsy plot, with not even a vestige of pacing. It plods along, tasking you with endless boring side quests that accomplish little except to gain your character experience. There is no satisfaction to completing any of it.

Did I mention the combat yet? Recall how you used to be able to control your squad-mates in the earlier ME games? Yeah, me too! But not here, because....progress! So you start a fight and your squad-mates just do their own thing, which is usually not very helpful, all the while dropping awful clangers of dialogue that are meant to be witty quips. In some cases they even say entirely inappropriate things during combat.

You squad-mates also have developed the ability - a la Aliens: Colonial Marines - to teleport about the battlefield. This often result in one of them teleporting on top of flying enemies, only to fall down and carry on as if that were the most natural thing in the world.

The voice actors mostly sound bored reading their lines, as if they had no actual direction when they were in the recording studio. The end result, along with the lack of animated faces, is to make any conversation seem like one between two heavily sedated (or stoned) people.

And the ending... I won't spoil it, but you end up in a boss fight with an enemy you have fought before and playing, essentially, an extended horde mode battle that goes on far too long. It is not a moment of exultation and delight when you complete it, just one of relief that it is over.

And that last sums up ME:A pretty much. It is dull and repetitive with mind-numbing side quests and some unbelievable dialogue (e.g. "My face is tired"), poor animations, facial and otherwise (I didn't mention the Ministry of Silly Walks, did I?) and an overall feeling that you could be spending your time playing a number of better games.

So what went wrong? My money is on over ambition. They tried to run before they could walk. This game was made by a B-string team from Bioware and they tried to get too much in, and end up with doing none of it justice. Too many conversation with NPC's probably led to them deciding they could not afford facial capture, so they went with the hilariously awful algorithm for animation. Not enough time to make enough variety of enemies (in addition to the few animals, there are about the same number of Remnant creatures and then a couple of generic alien baddies. Too many voice actors recording too many lines with no one giving proper direction led to all the flat deliveries you get in-game.

It wasn't ready for release. That is the bottom line. A Triple-A game rushed out the door to meet the financial year-end, full of bugs and glitches, unpolished and with no sign that any QA team even looked at it.

Bioware should be ashamed of this. No wonder they closed down the Bioware forums last year. It's almost as if they knew the fallout would hit them hard, just as it did with the ME3 ending and decided not to have to deal with people "impugning their artistic integrity" again.

Either way, the game is an embarrassing mess that seems like it was created by people who had never seen Mass Effect before and had only had it described (badly) to them. Bioware? Buyer-Beware, more like.

SUMMARY: Unfinished mess. Terrible facial animation, lousy dialogue, MMO-style busywork side quests. Poor writing, buggy, glitchy and utterly charmless. Not worthy of the Mass Effect name and not worthy of your money.
  • Having just finished the game for the first time. I can't see why this game was dumped on so much. While it is different from the first 3 Mass Effect games, that was its point. It was meant to be in the same universe as the first 3 games but have a storyline not dependent on those games. Liked the story and hope someday BioWare and EA games decide to continue it as originally planned. Would have given it a 10/10 if not for: 1.taking over three weeks to complete 2.made some of the controls easier 3. Not ending in a cliffhanger (although this is entirely due to the real world issue of the sequel game(s) not moving forward)
  • Let me get this right off the bat. I love Mass Effect. It is my favorite game series and also my favorite Sci-Fi Space Franchise right after Star Wars. I played through all three games several times to find new things and to experience a world that is full of endless possibilities. Even with the third game's divisive ending I still think its a phenomenal series. So when this game was announced, I was excited to say the least. I couldn't wait to see the series go in a new direction and expand with new meaningful characters and story lines.

And then I played it. And I was disappointed. So disappointed that a month later I returned my copy to Gamestop and used the extra cash to get 4 much better RPGs from the previous console generation.

Mass Effect Andromeda is one of the worst video games I have ever played. Everything that made the original Mass Effect Trilogy so great was practically thrown out the window to be used to create a bland, by-the-numbers, riskless exploration game with bad graphics, poor dialogue, and weak characters. It completely misses the mark of what made Mass Effect such a great series and now acts as a tumor to the saga.

Each of the previous games takes a risk within their story; they pull the rug from under the player and makes them see the game they're playing differently. In Mass Effect 1, it was going on a mission that at first appeared to be a galaxy-wide manhunt and making it a race against time to save everyone from extinction. In Mass Effect 2, it was preparing for a Suicide Mission where every decision you make would mean life or death for your squadmates. In Mass Effect 3, it was deciding which of two warring species would live or die, and even if you saved both it feel like you were close to making an unthinkable decision. But Mass Effect Andromeda, such dilemmas are nonexistent. You don't have to choose who lives or dies, you don't learn anything that really changes the way you look at the game, you don't live with the consequences of the decisions you made, this game actually refuses to take any risks. And to add insult to injury, whereas the previous 3 games each had different endings that were impactful, this game only has one ending that is the same regardless of whatever you do. This alone is a massive disservice to the franchise as well as the fans.

Not only that, but even the setting and storyline in this game falls apart. It actively contradicts itself and with the previous trilogy, or simply does not make sense. For example, everyone who joined the Initiative did so for either scientific or exploratory purposes, not for escaping the imminent possibility of galactic extinction that for some reason no one other than the Initiative's leaders knew about. What bothers me about this is that in the previous games, it was established that at least 90% of the Milky Way Galaxy was unexplored, and travelling to Andromeda was ridiculously dangerous and entirely one-way, taking more than 600 years to reach there. Why the hell would anyone want to do this, much less fund an operation that had no possibility of benefit for centuries or even millenia? This would have made sense if these people knew the truth about the Reapers, but the game explicitly establishes that no one knows about this and everyone joined for their own personal interests. This just makes the entire Andromeda Initiative look like morons. This may seem like a nitpick, but it serves as the foundation for the entire game. Its a major problem that causes the plot to fall apart.

And the Bugs. Oh god, the Bugs. When I first saw the previews before this game came out, I thought these were early animation problems for a game that was almost but not quite finished, and when the game would come out they wouldn't be a problem. It turns out, not only is the animation as bad as we saw before this game came out, It was actually worse. The Animation was so bad, it completely takes you out of the scene you are in. Even the patches that came out did little to really improve the overall quality. The Original Mass Effect Animations and Designs of 2007 look far better than this. I don't even want to talk about them anymore, they are that bad.

Overall, Mass Effect Andromeda is a bad game. From what I read from Kotaku, this game had numerous production issues ranging from unfamiliar software to corporate politics to a rushed production. This game is indeed very rushed as shown in the story problems and numerous bugs, even though they had a 5 year production period, they only made the bulk of the game within a year before its release. I really don't know whether to feel sorry for the developers or angry at them. Regardless, what we got was a game that was so bad that it is even worse than the divisive ending to Mass Effect 3. It is not a game worth your time, especially if you loved the previous trilogy. It gets worse and worse the more I think about it
  • Turanic25 March 2020
    So after self isolation in 2020 I decided to travel as far as I could, so I picked Andromeda Galaxy... After an edgy launch in 2017 Andromeda was hated and obliterated... Maybe at launch it was pretty bad with all these animation issues and bugs... Some time passed, game was patched and since in 2020 there is not many worthy sci fi RPGs to play anyway I decided I will give it a go... My God It's full of stars... Now I am reviewing the game as someone who played all 3 mass effect titles , 2 Kotor titles and Dragon age 1 &2... What can I say about Andromeda? I am enjoying it... As much as I am a fan of ME2 , which had one of the best stories ever, Andromeda does not shine with story and dialogues as much... But the exploration and combat mechanics as well as character building is actually better... I now suspect that it's fans of ME2 that generally hated Andromeda... ME2 was the most cinematic and more action focused than exploration focused out of the 3 and since majority of gamers come from that background anyway I can see why they hated Mass Effect franchise leaning toward ME1...
  • I think the extremely bad reviews exaggerated and consider the game a must-have for any RPG, and especially fans of the series!
  • nix-cornelissen10 November 2019
    This game is FANTASTIC. This is a perfect stand-alone game in the Mass Effect universe. The story is great and keeps you wanting to continue to find out what happens next. By far one of my favorite games. Plus who doesn't love complete and full customization.
    Okay. I'm here to discuss the CORE of Mass Effect. And its place in Andromeda.

Quote: "to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before" The iconic quote from Star Trek. A series about interesting characters that were taken seriously. That evolved, had depth, intrigue, synergy and importance.

It wasn't its effects. It was the story, dialog and that these simple things captured you completely.

Mass Effect is like this. Its what us long term fans love. Mass Effect 3 began dumbing down on this. But we still had Shepard.

Now to Andromedas Core Problems. First, there's no Mass Effect without a main protagonist that can lead you, can relate to, find strong, epic, charismatic. A role model in whatever way you want him/her to be. A leader with incredible depth and likability.

So why, Bioware? Why go down such a risky path. When you literally portrayed Shepard as SURVIVING in ME3. As he's in the debris. Why not give us what we all want. A character we love... taking us into a new galaxy, meeting new people. The red line remains unbroken, because we are still that same character. The explorer, fighter, ultimate badass. A leading man/woman

You told us this was because you wanted to start a new chapter. The pathfinders. And this is where I've changed my view. I pushed through it. And realized that I've come to love the Ryder's . They are rough at first. A better introduction would've been better, but I stuck with it and can honestly say I'm so happy I did.

I once belived that the Ryder's didn't measure up. That they weren't good enough. I was wrong. I judged the game too fast. I didn't give it a chance alike many others. So I waited, till all the patches landed and some cool mods were made. And then I tried Again, playing it as it was intended. And its fantastic. Its not without its errors. Rocky dialog, still some bugs, messed up faces rarely but they are there. But for 98 % of the time... this doesn't happen. The game is great. The story is interesting. Saving Worlds is so fun and cool. Meaningful. Making it more viable is fun and adds to the catharsis and even a secret ending... yes indeed. get 100 % viability for all planets and youll see. Its epic.

Bioware learned from ME 3. All requisition that was pointless and nothing had an impact on the ending, its all FIXED in Andromeda. Your choices, both main stuff and side missions such as finding the arcs and helping Worlds, it all matters big time.

Your companions are interesting, likeable, engaging and provide cool side loyalty missions. Some are subjectively better than others ( Peebee :) ) but yes. The writing is great.

I once thought that the Ryder's lacked a spine. leadership abilities, experience and more. But after having pushed through and understood what Bioware wanted to make, I get it now. I was wrong. They are great. Sara is great. And she grows with every quest, she becomes so much more of a leader. The speeches she gives are memorable and meaningful. And each and every single one never fails to remind you why you do what you do. To build a new home. To restore this galaxy to glory, to save lives and Work together. All the alien races... working together as one. Its beautiful And absolutely inspiring.

Should Shepard have returned. Hell, I would've have minded. But honestly, i dont consider it a loss that we got the Ryder's instead. Because having seen this through, I understand perfectly. And I'm happy I stuck with it.

The combat is fantastic. The Graphics are beautiful. But the audio is lacking. The game is very silent at times outside of the galaxy map, bars and fights. Not like previous mass effects. Most dialog is great. Not all but its nowhere near what most people think. Like I said above. 98 % its great. And I played 177 hours.

If one cannot get this game a chance, you wont like it and thats just that. But if you can bother to take a Deep breath and enter a new galaxy with an open mind, then you're in for an amazing journey that fixes MUCH of the dumb stuff we got from ME 3 such as that awful ending and lackluster mission design, as well as Dragon Age Inquisitions lifeless and generic World.

Andromeda feels alive. And the Nomad is ever fun to use to drive around with. Especially with cheats that give you unlimited boost.

Final Words: I'm happy I pushed through it. My view is completely changed. Originally I was sceptical but remained at a objective 7 out of 10. A great game with flaws. But now after so long, and having done my best as a mega fan to try and see the best, to find it, to understand it, I've come to love it. And even added an 8 to the score.

Because no matter its coarse surface many months ago. No matter its couple of questionable dialog ( there are less than a dozen. ) at its core, its a fantastic journey with SO many upgrades and cool features which demonstrate that Bioware listened to the fan criticism.

And for that. Thank you, Bioware. For an amazing journey.
  • Don't jump on the bandwagon that some harsh critics started. This game is actually very good! It's only real flaw is that it had to follow one of the greatest trilogies ever. Yes, people wanted insane graphics and they wanted mind blowing gameplay, but realistically, how likely was it that this game was going to be everything that everyone wanted it to be??

I played through this game after completing the first three and I really enjoyed it. I loved the sense of being in an unknown galaxy, where nothing is known and everything is being experienced for the first time.

Yes, there are some flaws with graphics (in very few places if at all now that BioWare have patched them). And the lack of alien species encountered in this new galaxy can be a bit frustrating. But overall I thought this was a brilliant game, and a very good follow up to the original trilogy with a very good storyline and characters that have serious potential if this new series of games is allowed to unfold without everyone hating on it.

I encourage you, ignore the original hate, start playing with an open mind and you will honestly enjoy this game for what it has to offer!
  • 8512222 April 2018
    Greetings from Lithuania.

After spending around 80 hours in "Mass Effect: Andromeda" (2017) and still looking forward to play for around 3 more just to finish all "alliances" quests i can safely say - i love this game.

Seriously, i picked it up just recently on PS4 with huge discount. I bought it for around 8$, but because of overwhelming dislike for this game i read i thought i won't lose much. Safe to say that it exceeded my expectation.

I highly enjoyed the story here. It is surprisingly involving tale about "Pathfinder" and finding a new home for humanity. That some very good sci-fi in here. As the one who played, finished and loved first 3 games (2nd one is my favorite still), i liked how creators moved in a different direction in this game.

This game is huge, and i mean huge. There tons upon tons upon tons of activities in here. And while planets exploration "from above and mining of them" isn't as involving as in previous 2 games, this one does an OK job. Graphics aren't that great, but game does look solid. I did encounter couple of crashes, but nothing that bad as i read before.

Overall, "Mass Effect: Andromeda" (2017) isn't the most polished game out there to say the least, but it does a great job of "hocking" you into this world. Great story, amazing game play (combat system is phenomenal), some touching moments here and there and that stunning opening of the game when you crash land on that first planet (won't spoil further) makes "Andromeda" a must play for those who love great open world / RPG games. Loved it.
    My first Mass Effect game, and still my favorite after playing the others. Putting aside the character animation (and I admit it can be distracting), it's a solid addition to the franchise, and I think it's a great introduction to the series. It has the poster-children of Mass Effect's aliens (turians and asari), all the familiar classes and powers, and some Easter eggs that are fun even for the most casual fans. The biggest advantage that Andromeda has over the trilogy is that it's much simpler and emphasizes story over gameplay, making it friendly to casual gamers and new players.

The game is also delightfully diverse in its cast both on and off-screen. LGBT characters are a natural part of the story and background, and the main cast is more colorful than the original trilogy. The voice cast is diverse, too, employing people of many races and nationalities and never apologizing for their accents--I was particularly charmed by the distinctly South African (region, not the country) accents of many of the angaran characters, and the unabashedly Pakistani accent of the head of the Andromeda Initiative (the Systems Alliance of ME:A).

I really enjoyed the story. It's one of discovery, learning, and growth, not just for Pathfinder Ryder but for many of the characters that they work with. I liked that Ryder had to adapt, learn, and prove themself to others, as opposed to Shepard who was renowned and respected from the start. The themes of family were really touching, too, and I loved the connections of friendship between the members of the main cast.

After the doom and gloom of the original Mass Effect trilogy, Andromeda is refreshing in its optimism. It's much more lighthearted, and more character-focused than the other games. There's no suicide mission and Pathfinder Ryder doesn't die at the end. It's a great choice for people who are tired of dystopian fiction and fatalistic plots in sci-fi. Sure, the game is kind of ugly, but aren't we all?
    I tried really hard to like this game. Hell I liked Dragon Age 2, but I just can't like Andromeda no matter how hard I try.

First the story: The game's tone is both too upbeat and too depressing. The concept of going to another galaxy, leaving everyones' family/friends behind to die hundreds of years into the past and then building everything from scratch is very dark. Yet despite this a lot of the characters don't seem to take anything that happens very seriously. It's full of quips and the premise of the main cast is "a merry band of misfits". The tone is all over the place and it just doesn't work.

There are no Mass Effect relays in the Andromeda galaxy, so everything happens in close proximity to each other. Because of this you meet a disappointing amount of 2 new alien species in the entire story.

The characters are mediocre, with only a few likeable squadmates. The main villain and his henchmen are very one-dimensional and uninteresting.

Art design: To me one of the most disappointing things in the game is how the aliens are handled. In the trilogy there is a lot of diversity in the alien designs.

In Andromeda however, all aliens (expect companions) use the same face shapes only with different colors. Every salarian, turian, krogan etc. Look like clones. Even funnier is the asari who now only have one face model. The consistency of designs is also off, with salarian eyes looking different and the krogan looking pudgy and small.

In a game world constantly praised for it's aliens, there's no excuse to cut corners on something like that.

The character creator is somehow as bad as the original trilogy and despite being a lot newer, the character models don't look great. There are basically no facial animations and everyone just looks dead inside. It's a step up in graphics of planets but a downgrade for character models. Some of the cutscenes also leave a lot to be desired.

Voice acting is as good as before but music is very forgettable.

The gameplay: Apart from not having control over squad abilities I thought the combat was a lot of fun, but as far as the general gameplay goes it is a completionist's nightmare. The planets are full of boring MMO-style quests with very little payoff. It's kind of like they looked at ME1 side quests and thought "let's do that but with a lot more quests each planet."

Bioware excels in linear RPG:s. Andromeda's "open world" just doesn't work.

In conclusion: Mass Effect: Andromeda is just not good. I'm not writing this as someone who just wants to hate on an already controversial Bioware game. I went through this game 100% and I know what the game has to offer.

Knowing that the next Mass Effect ties into Andromeda, I truly wish this game had never existed.
  • Honestly, I'm tired of those copy/paste reviews we see here and there.

The all talk about bad facial animations, non charismatic main character and companions, the fact that we miss shephard, the fact that it's sjw handiwork (god I hate this new word, it's stupid, really), and other nonsense.

I'm a big fan of the franchise, like everybody here. And although I find that this game has indeed a very different "feel" compared to the first 3, I like it a lot, and I'll tell you why.

First, you have to put the old mass effect behind. This is a whole new story. The main character is not charismatic? Of course! He's young, he just got promoted unexpectedly to a top position! It would have been stupid to have a rugged bad ass character for this "role", no? What I like with this game is that you really have the feeling to be an explorer in foreign space. The planets are diverse and beautiful (great artistic work there). The quests are numerous and very engaging, even some small ones. Dialogs are reasonably deep and original. And finally, the gameplay is far better than the previous installments.

As I said, if you forget about the old MEs and don't give in to nostalgia, this is truly a great game for anyone loving space exploration, with a great deal of content to enjoy for many hours.

Don't let the haters fool you. This may not be your top-3-of-all-time game, but it is without a doubt an excellent one (with a few flaws of course, but which game doesn't).

I'm 40 hours into it right now, can't wait to go back home and turn my PS4 on!
    I played this game right when it came out. I went in totally blind, avoided all reviews and talks and just went in with my own raw intuition. Now, my initial feelings while getting into this game was that it wasn't polished that well, the story didn't grab my attention and the characters left a lot to be desired. In essence, I wasn't enjoying the game as much as I'd thought I would.

The gameplay is fantastic though. Compared to the previous trilogy cover-based shooting, Andromeda takes the cake in action . Now story-wise: Andromeda fails big time. Then again, Bioware did write themselves in a corner with the ME trilogy, where you literally fight to save the galaxy and the enemy is this unstoppable mega machines conquering the Milky Way. I knew going in that Andromeda was going to have a story taking place on a much smaller scale. What I didn't expect was that the story would be so bland.

There is nothing remotely interesting about the Khet Vs. angarens. Their conflict was basically a gang war that took place across various star systems. Ryder & Crew were more like high schoolers working an internship. The only character I really liked was Jal. Pheebee was a waste of space, Cora & Liam were your default human cohorts and Vetra was too aloof to be interesting. Oh and Drack was just your average Krogan.

The big baddie was forgettable. I just hope the next game (if there's a next game) will tighten up on characters and story, but I doubt it.
  • nammage28 January 2018
    I bought this game for my Xbox One S on 11/09/2017, almost eight months after its release. I paid $10 for it, brand new, on sale (marked down from $20). I have version 1.10. All the glitches and bugs that people mentioned in the early days/weeks of its release were and are still everpresent on the one I have; and perhaps more. I have played five times in a row. I started on Normal in my first game and ended up switching it to Easy after 8-12 hours of playing based on the chaotic setup of everything and the overall lack of Tutorials. There are Tutorials; they're just lacking in any real useful information (for Xbox One, I read that PC had too many tutorials, I don't know about PS4). On my second playthrough I finally played strictly on Normal. First two playthroughs were as Sarah Ryder. I heard and read people complaining about the default female Ryder but one can make her look like anyone one wants. It takes about 20 minutes +/- of time. So, I have no problem in that area. The third game I played as Scott Ryder (took me two games to get him to look the way I wanted), and I played on Normal. Fourth game I played on Hardcore, and fifth game I played on Insanity; both those games as Sarah Ryder. When I started playing Hardcore I was player level 132 (the highest I could go). Enemies were just as easy to kill in Easy/Normal; even the Architect; didn't really take longer to kill them, either. So, what was hard or insane? When I went into a Kett base, there were less Kett to fight but the main antagonist was slightly harder to kill (but not hard to kill). When going to a small area such as a debris field or drill platform then instead of the normal 2-10 to fight it became 30-50 to fight. I remember on Voeld coming to a crashed shuttle, which usually has 2-7 there, and it had 32 Kett there. Going and fighting straight up is nearly impossible to do, so I kept at a relative distance and shot them one by one with my sniper rifle. Didn't take long, headshots killed them. Funny enough: my most advanced sniper rifle (with headshot capability) on Easy or Normal took 3-4 shots (or more) to kill a Kett or Raider but on Hardcore/Insanity one shot usually did it. What kills you on Hardcore/Insanity is the atmosphere. Not bad guys but the environment. You have barely enough time to get to a safe zone. It's like everything is backwards in regard to difficulty or that's how they designed it and if so...what a waste.

The good things about the game, in my opinion: the gun selection. There are multitudes of guns you can use. You can even make guns to your own specification. I mainly used three guns: Kett shotgun, Dhan X. N7 Piranha X shotgun (with sticky grenades), Widow X, and assault rifle Sandstorm X (with rapid fire). One can carry two shotguns etc., at once. I carried two shotguns, assault rifle, and sniper rifle. Pistols are unnecessary when you have such options. However, by Hardcore/Insanity I just had two differently modified Sandstorms, Dhan, and Piranha; no need for anything else. There's also multitude of options on 'powers' for Combat/Biotic/Tech. I stuck with mainly three: Throw, Charge, and Shockwave. While some Combat (omni-grenade) and Tech (incinerate/remnant v.i.):were good, minus Remnant V.I., it would run out too quickly; I found in this game ammo wasn't really a huge concern as finding additional health was; so trying to locate health made me, at least, forget about resupplying ammo.

There are many armor options. You can even make your own armor. To me that's the only good thing about armor in this game, and the fact you could wear different armor simultaneously. Bad thing about armor: You can't change your teammates armor like in the previous two games and basically it's just there for aesthetics. It doesn't help you in any way except for the environment (atmosphere). In battle, it does nothing. I tried so many variations and modulators but nothing helped. Your shields come down quickly and you're focused on your health the whole time. One of the consumables was backup life support which does not work for combat. Who came up with that idea? It's just for the environment; if you're playing on Easy/Normal, it's useless. You don't need it. But it would be very useful in combat but it's unusable in combat. The thing I didn't really care for on mods was that they would take away considerable necessities on your weapons for no reason but to mess with you or to get you to choose what the gamemakers want you to pick which actually makes it less free choice (open world) and more dictatorial.

The Nomad is pretty cool; especially the various paint jobs you can have. For the first two games I played, I mainly stuck with N7 but ended up using primarily Blood Pack. On Voeld I recommend Platinum because it's going to be covered in ice and snow anyway. The Paramour was alright. I only did three: Peebee, Suvi, and Cora. Suvi is a lot of work with no return in the end. Many options on hetero/homosexual relations; though I stuck with hetero (in the sense I'm a man playing as a girl so I chose a girl; minus Cora where I played the male roll; I tried homosexual in the 3rd Mass Effect game but I just couldn't do it; if I did here, though, I think I would choose Gil but I don't think he has that option). I also liked the fact that I could be an atheist, as in real life I am one. The option is also there to be a theist and/or spiritual.

My favorite shipmates are Gil (though not really much dialogue overall), Peebee, and Drack. I mainly used Drack, Peebee, and Cora (Cora primarily for her shield assistance). Rarely used Vetra and Jaal. Jaal complained a lot and I found it annoying; only used him where needed. Vetra was conversationally uninteresting. I liked her sister Sid more, she was fun. By the second Normal game I stopped using Liam as much for one reason only: in battle, after killing anyone he'd then omni-grenade them. Also, the only character he gets along with is Jaal; the conversations in the Nomad was Liam pissing everyone off. It was annoying. Cora was nice to look at but all I found her good for was her shield assist. Drack was cool all around.

What I felt really did this game in was all the glitches and bugs; which are everpresent, and the expressionless features of all the characters. Except Peebee, she seems to be the only one with expressions and sometimes Reyes has expressions but mainly everyone else: blank stare as they speak. A lot of the Asari look and sound the same; just wearing different outfits. I found having black Asari a bit racist. I'll explain why. Asari are all blue. Now, in the first three games I think there was a green Asari and that one turned a bit grayish later but that was explained as to why. That Asari was blue but turned green from that plant creature having control over her. So, where did the black Asari come from? Why no other colors? No peach Asari (white people), no brown Asari (Middle Eastern/Indian/Hispanic/Latino), no Asian Asari? And why do all the black Asari have the same face? It's copy/paste face. How about if you want more diversity in games then you have more of non-whites in leadership roles. Instead of having, human-wise, all the main crew being white people and just having a token black guy (Liam) and stop creating primarily white people? Don't change alien creatures into black people because, to me, it seems you think that they're not even human, or deserving to be. I know it's not true but if you keep playing in the stereotype then that's how you'll come off. As an aside: what's up with the Loyalty Missions? They're not 'loyal' anything. No matter what choice you make they stay loyal. I never really cared about that in the second game. My thought is: if you're not loyal, then bye. I mean, if they played with it and had one or two betray you, that would have been fine but otherwise: who needs unloyal people watching your back in a fire fight?

This game has way too many tasks. It took me to the fourth game (Hardcore) to complete every single task. By then I skipped all unnecessary dialogue. If it wasn't a person who gave me a task, or needed information (for future tasks), I skipped talking to them. I only had one incomplete in the third game "Aid Apex". I thought that had to do with Strike teams apparently it had nothing really to do with that but scanning bad guys for Apex. I had 18/20 by the end of the third game. By the beginning of my fourth game (Habitat 7 to Nexus to Eos to Aya to Havarl to Voeld) I had 16/20. Didn't get the last one until Kadara. It was an Outsider with a yellow bar. Forget if the Turian or Krogan. I disliked that all animals (including bugs) were bad guys all the time. So, you're driving along, you pass by an animal or bug and you have to stop and kill it or you'll forever be in "Combat mode" unless you find someone to fight near by. It was stupid and time consuming, a waste of ammo, and health. Especially on planets like Voeld and Eos where it would drain your life support and/or health. It was ridiculous. Also, way too many puzzles in vaults; and I'm not talking about the Soduku-like puzzles. By the time you find the armor you like, and the weapons and powers etc., you're just collecting things to sell. By the end of my fifth game I had close to a million credits. New Game+ became boring after the second playthrough. While there are multitudes of things to do the game is just too tedious in many sections throughout where you don't seem to care anymore; at least for me that's the way it was.

When making your first Outpost, just choose science. Military is the same people, same tasks, and all science. The only things I saw different was some of them had officer ranks and some had camouflage but it was all science. It barely changes any dialogue. Also, when you can post an Outpost, do it. Nothing changes. There's dialogue of someone being upset but nothing happens. This game is very tedious....(review was longer, rest cut off.)
  • Andromeda was crap plain and simple... They have killed the franchise because they produced a turd. And hardly anybody bought it. That is the simple truth.
  • I don't know why All the hate for this game I still think bioware are doing a good job on the mass effect people have got to understand that Andromeda is not the same as the frist 3 mass effect games for 1. It's a next gen game soo overall it's gonna bed different as they did the same for the dragon ages games and that turned out well.2 there's much more things to do on it and better open world with freedom of a rpg.3 yes it's got bugs but what games don't as anything else it will be fixed.it don't have to feel like the other 3 but it don't have to to injoy it hopefully people will stop comparing to the frist 3 and just see what else there is to come
    So as a fan of Bioware and different RPGS, I bought this when it first came out despite alot of hate from people and honestly: I love the story...but the gameplay is a bit weak.

The story starts off where you play as either a Male or Female Ryder with a horrible character creator, I mean how did bioware go from one of the most advanced character creators in Dragon age to this???

Well anyways you and 100,000 people are on the way to the Andromeda Galaxy set in 600 years in the future and after the 2nd mass effect game so it's like a prequel to the 3rd game but also after the 3rd game...rather weird and for those wondering: Sheppard doesn't make a cameo.

Anyways, you wake up from cyro as your created abortion and go to an planet that is destined to be one of your homeworld but unfortunately it doesn't turn out the way you'd hope. Your dad dies and makes you the new pathfinder who now has an AI in his brain called SAM and his job is to find a new home.

And honestly that's the whole game in a nutshell: going to planets to settle, fighting a new race of characters called the Kett and constantly going back to the planets you settled onto to fix things is surprisingly great.

I honestly felt that this story in alot of ways was a bit better than the trilogy. I mean it's one thing time fight an alien race which both games do but its another to travel away from your original home, fight another race, find a home planet, make alliances, fix the planets and settle disputes.

of course there's a whole new cast of side characters like Suvi, Kallo, Drack, Peebee, Jaal, and others that really makes you care for them as a whole team. And Ryder is just a joy to play as and I always love the funny, sarcastic options he has so naturally I choose those haha

But unfortunately I hate the combat system, I mean before in the trilogy you either selected that you were a solider, biotic, technician, etc.. and it gave you certain skills and also gave you an accomplishment when you fought something and won...this removes that and now Ryder can be anything from a biotic to a solider and he can switch between the two in a fight. Honestly it takes away the immersion of the game.

But overall, I do enjoy this is sci-fi RPG, Yeah its not the same as the trilogy but it does have a great story and even some great characters.
    I have played Mass Effect: Andromeda four times now, so I like to think I know what I'm talking about. My rating is 8/10, and here's why.

I have never understood all the trash talk Andromeda got when it first came out - the trash talk it still gets, three years later. Sure, it has some faults and it was buggy at first, but most of the bugs have been fixed and most of the game's best qualities totally overlooked because of the "faults".

The story is actually amazing, and greatly built. Traveling to another Galaxy in cryogenic stasis with the intention of finding out if life exists there and if the Milky Way species can adapt to it. To make history as the first species ever to travel outside their home galaxy. The graphics are amazing, the areas to explore vast and very detailed and the open world option was a very welcome add on to the game. You can drive around in your own rover and explore to your heart's content. Nothing faulty there.

The companions are great, too - funny, very different from each other, very individualistic - just like in the original trilogy. The romance options are good, I've done most of them and I especially like the romance with Jaal - the angaran, who is native to the Heleus cluster. It adds spice and depth to the romance. Friendship builds are deep and strong, and the team fight well together.

The only faults I've really felt are the face textures of the Asari, and the fact that we cannot order our squadmates to do special attacks or control them in that sense - we can only set them to attack on a specified target. But even that's better than nothing. The combat system is actually pretty amazing once you get used to it and understand how everything works.

The biggest mistake most of the people who didn't like Andromeda seems to be simple: constantly comparing it to the trilogy. It is NOT a continuation of the trilogy, so it only makes sense that it would be different in a lot of ways. It was supposed to be a new beginning for a new Mass Effect universe, not a direct sequel to the original trilogy.

I have not compared it to the previous games (which I have played more than 10 times each and totally love all of them) and liked Andromeda just fine. Heck, even loved it. The theme music and soundtrack is amazing as well, makes the playing even more fun.

I am sincerely hoping Bioware would get back to the Andromeda Galaxy, from which we only got to explore one tiny fragment, and forget the "audience". Because there ARE many of us who totally enjoyed the game and are wishing for more. 76% says they've liked Andromeda, so it is still a majority of the players. Andromeda totally deserves a sequel.

Give it a go, don't compare it to the Shepard storyline, concentrate on all the amazing opportunities you'll encounter in Andromeda and try to see it as it's own whole, not a part of something.
    Mass Effect is my favourite game series. I have invested 100's of hours on it over the last few years. I couldn't wait to play ME Andromeda!

Unfortunately, I suppose ME Andromeda was in a no-win situation, really. If it had been similar to ME2 and ME3 it would have been criticised for being unoriginal. It chose a different path, so it gets criticised for not being a traditional ME game.

When starting a sequel to well-loved games, it always feels a bit alien. You have new maps that are unfamiliar. In this case, you have to get to know a whole new cast. I felt uncomfortable with it when I first played. Shepard had been an experienced warrior. Ryder feels 10 years younger with little experience.

The first missions are nothing special. There is far too much exploring for my tastes. I hate labyrinths! I admit that if it hadn't been a ME game, I might have given up.

I am so glad I persevered, I concentrated on the "Priority Missions" and eventually, the game opened up. I was rewarded with ME-style action by the bucket load. By then, I had started to like the characters. Some of them were very humorous together as they chatted in the Nomad.

As usual, you start off with so-so guns. It's hard to improve them at first. There is nothing much to be found. The shops don't have much that is exiting. However, once you start to unlock "AVP" (groups of people in Cryo bays), you will earn perks. "Reconnaissance" marks caches on the maps that contain useful salvage with a good chance of nice weapons. You can also unlock better stock at the shops.

Of course, as is popular these days, you can now craft weapons and armour. Once you gather enough research points and raw materials, you can create custom weapons and armour which include augmentations. If you can save up your points, you can make some very juicy items!

You are no longer tied to a class throughout the game. You can mix and match combat, biotic and tech skills. You can have three at a time and group them into for favourite combinations that you can swap on the fly.

As usual, you can customise you character at the beginning of the game. You can tinker around and make him/her look a bit older, to give them more weight, if you so wish.

Of course, as always, once you have completed the priority missions, you can import your character, complete with levels, perks and equipment to the start of a new game. As a real bonus, you don't have to stick to the appearance/sex of the old character. As I wrote earlier, you are not tied to one class. In effect, you only need start a game at Level 1 once!

I rushed through my first play through, sticking to priority ops. On subsequent play throughs, I spread myself out a bit. The allies and relationship missions were mostly lots of fun. Unlike ME2, the loyalty missions weren't necessarily obvious.

It seems a little cheap to have all the Asari with the same basic face but it really doesn't spoil the game. Don't worry about facial animations. They have been mostly fixed but they were hardly game breaking in the first place. On the other hand, if you change the appearance of Ryder, his father's face changes too! Additionally, the scenery is gorgeous!

I started off being quite disappointed. However, I now love it as much as the previous games. I have over 100 hours on it and it still feels fresh.
  • dravreh17 November 2017
    Almost a decent game - but outdated graphics and lacking in so many areas. Big disappointment. And waaayyy too many bugs and crashes, the game is very faulty.

Familiar characters add to the small dose of fun, and the atmosphere is great - when the game is working, but the game doesn't work and you have to be a programmer to get the game to work.

Avoid at all costs - unless you get it for free; then try the the useless game....