User Reviews (36)

• TheBlueHairedLawyer8 September 2017
    Not as bad as you'd think, but still...
    This film premiered today, September the 8th, three days before the actual anniversary of 9/11, which to me seemed a little inappropriate. I'm a big modern history buff though so I wanted to see this. It's certainly factual enough, and in all honesty I thought Whoopi Goldberg did a decent enough job in it, but Charlie Sheen gives a talentless performance, and "9/11" relies on overly dramatic music, cheap-looking digital effects and cheesy lines that sounded like something straight out of a Hallmark movie. It's sensationalistic and frankly I don't think it was right to release it so close to the actual date of the disaster just to get more dollars outta peoples' pockets. My uncle's best friend died in those towers, it's not entertainment. The 2006 film "World Trade Center" was much more tasteful and listened to more insight from survivors and victims' families from the actual attacks. I think if Sheen hadn't been cast as a main actor, and if the melodrama was cut significantly, it would've been better. There were times though where in all fairness it was very good, mostly Goldberg's scenes in the tower and the reactions to the footage on the news.

My advice? Don't boycott it or anything, but trust me, there are many better, more tasteful and more historical films on 9/11, including "The Great New Wonderful", "Diverted", "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close" and "Remember Me".
  • Leftbanker9 December 2017
    We'll Always Remember Where We Were When We Heard They Made a Movie About 9/11 with Whoopi Goldberg and Charlie Sheen
    I'm guessing that at some point in the production process of this film someone considered making it a musical, thus touching every base in awfulness. It has Whoopi Goldberg in it so I'm almost sure they at least brought up the idea of a few musical numbers.

This movie will make you wish that they had made another parallel film called 9/10 (the day before) in which all of the people simply rode in the elevator and went home, sparing us this 90 minute steaming load. It's just about what you would expect in awfulness and starring Whoopi Goldberg and Charlie Sheen.

Many will claim that it is "Too Soon", too soon to have a movie about 9/11 with Whoopi Goldberg, but I beg to differ. Is there ever a right time to have a movie with Whoopi Goldberg? I mentioned that Whoopi Goldberg is in it, right? This was adapted from a community theater play. This film will make you want to run out of the cinema and race towards the nearest community theater in the hope of erasing this memory.

At the end there is a line that says the film is dedicated to the blah, blah, blah. You know the rest. Is there anything more completely devoid of meaning and worth that this sort of dedication? What exactly does that mean? The film is dedicated how, exactly? Financially? Doubtful. The only thing that may be even more useless is a moment of prayer.
  • WashyBanjo8 October 2017
    Just bad
    I saw this movie on 9/11 and there was no one else in the theater besides me. The movie felt very cheaply made and Charlie Sheen's performance was pretty laughable. Lots of monologues in this film that dragged on and characters I cared very little about, even if they were supposed to be victims of a real event. The whole concept of a movie about being trapped in an elevator is a bad idea for a movie, adding on top a real tragedy just makes it even more tasteless. Fictional characters don't belong in a movie about a tragedy so recent.
  • Carl Schultz11 September 2017
    Exploitation of Tragedy
    Although a few exceptional motion pictures have been based upon the tragic events which occurred in the United States on September 11, 2001—including 2002's "The Guys," Oliver Stone's "World Trade Center" from 2006, and Paul Greenglass' "United 93" from the same year—the new picture "9/11" is not among them. Not hardly. Not even close.

"9/11" is adapted from a 2011 stage piece written by Patrick Carson entitled "Elevator," originally presented at the Pima Community College in Tuscon, Arizona. Retitled "9/11," the picture concerns a group of five people trapped in an elevator in the World Trade Center's North Tower, working together to try to free themselves after the impact of the first airplane.

Present in the elevator are Charlie Sheen and Gina Gershon as a bickering couple on the cusp of divorce, a bicycle messenger played by Wood Harris, the Russian-born actress Olga Fonda as wealthy man's mistress, and a janitor played by the talented character actor Luis Guzman. Working to help save the five are a dedicated group which includes WTC elevator controller Whoopi Goldberg.

Adapted by Carson's minimalist stage piece by Steven Goleblowski, Martin Guigui, and Carson himself and directed by Guigui, "9/11" reduces the September 11 attacks to the proportions of a low budget, made-for-television disaster movie, complete with the one- dimensional, stereotypical characterizations usually found in that genre.

As a result, "9/11" seems almost to border on blasphemy, trivializing the enormous gravity of the events of that day, inexplicably subtracting from the narrative the almost limitless emotional intensity present in the tragedy.

Charlie Sheen is a particularly unfortunate choice for casting in a picture which purports to depict the experiences of September 11. The actor's irresponsible and often clownish offscreen antics have likely prohibited him from ever again being considered a viable actor, apparently even in the realm of television situation comedy.

Sheen a decade ago was additionally responsible for remarks which seemed to suggest the September 11 attacks were a hoax perpetrated by the liberal press…remarks for which Sheen has recently apologized, apparently for reasons related to the release of this film, but conspicuously has not retracted.

"9/11" mines for financial profit the abomination and infinite heartbreak of September 11, and as such is an assault not only on popular culture, but also on our shared heritage. The release of the picture to coincide with the sixteenth anniversary of the tragedy stinks of exploitation.

Just ignore this one—without any attention at the box office, "9/11" will disappear quickly on its own merits…or its lack of them.
  • Michael Ayre20 December 2017
    Dissapointing
    If you are expecting a film depicting the events of 9/11 then you will be very disappointed.

This film should be called 'Stuck in a Lift', because other than the fact it is set on 9/11 and the building subsequently collapses, it could be any high rise any city any time.

The characters are typical American stereotypes, so obviously chosen to try and make a film with about the dozen people in it interesting. A millionaire, a spoilt selfish brat of a wife, a very attractive feminist woman who just happens to be having an affair with an older man, a delivery guy and a maintenance man. hmm....

As for the plot. So ridiculous it's funny. The lift stops. Fair enough. But still has power and all the communications work? Then the cables snap and it falls I think 37 floors. But it stops at lobby level. Then more cables snap and it drops further. A door held closed by a solenoid, and a bolt closed escape hatch. Insulting the intelligence!

The acting is wooden and the script about as boring as it can get.

The title is nothing more than an insensitive link to tragic events to try and make a boring TV film plot appear more interesting, using the events of 9/11 to add some excitement.

It's all so so wrong...........
  • Dave McClain11 September 2017
    Excessive criticism of this movie ignores its significant positive qualities.
    There have been over 50 feature films made about the September 11th terrorist attacks on the U.S. – dramas and documentaries – about the attacks themselves and about their effects on the U.S. and on individuals. 2017 brings us the action drama "9/11" (R, 1:30), but that's not the first film to use that title. 2002's "9/11" is a television documentary from Bronx-born filmmaker James Hanlon and French documentarians Gédéon and Jules Naudet who were in New York filming a documentary about a rookie firefighter, but whose planned film was hijacked by real-life events, giving us rare footage from the epicenter of the attacks. In 2006, "World Trade Center" put Nicolas Cage and Michael Pena in that same spot, portraying real-life NYC Port Authority police officers trapped in the collapse of the Twin Towers.

Movies telling fictional stories of how the tragedy of September 11, 2001 affected ordinary people include "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close" (a 2011 Best Picture Oscar nominee starring Sandra Bullock, Tom Hanks, Max von Sydow and featuring child actor Thomas Horn) and "Reign Over Me" (a 2007 drama starring Adam Sandler and Don Cheadle). Then there are movies like "Zero Dark Thirty" (a 2012 Best Picture nominee with an all-star cast led by Oscar-nominated Jessica Chastain and directed by Oscar winner Kathryn Bigelow) which represent the wider effects of the attacks. For my money, the best 9/11 film to date is 2006's "United 93" (as opposed to the TV movie "Flight 93" – same subject, same year), which earned Oscar nominations for its editing and for the directing of "Bourne" series helmer Paul Greengrass. All of these films are good and some are great. So, how does this "9/11" stack up?

2017's "9/11", based on the award-winning play "Elevator" by Patrick James Carson, tells the fictional story of five strangers stuck between floors in the North Tower of the World Trade Center after American Airlines Flight 11 crashes into it. Jeffrey Cage (Charlie Sheen) is a billionaire businessman who is being divorced by his wife, Eve (Gina Gershon). Jeffrey and Eve have a young son together, but Eve's one big complaint against Jeffrey is that he doesn't pay enough attention to her or their son and she's had enough. Tina (Olga Fonda) has also had enough of her guy. She's dating a rich older man and she appreciates the perks that come with that relationship, but she hates being controlled by him and she's heading up to his office to tell him that she's leaving him. Michael (Wood Harris) is a Manhattan bicycle messenger who has a chip on his shoulder, but he also has a loving wife and young daughter who is having a birthday today. Last, but certainly not least, is Eddie (Luis Guzmán), a WTC maintenance man who is on that elevator as part of a work call. Fortunately, Eddie is friendly with Metzie (Oscar winner Whoopi Goldberg), who works the day shift in the elevator control room in the WTC's North Tower.

Like many others in the towers, the attack causes confusion and fear in the five people in that elevator, but their isolation just exacerbates those feelings. They realize that the explosion they heard, the elevator's sudden stop and their lack of cell phone service are probably connected and they begin talking about the 1993 attack on the World Trade Center and the airplane that flew into the Empire State Building in 1945, increasingly convinced that this is something like one of those incidents (or both). After repeated failed attempts to raise Metzie on the elevator's intercom, Eddie finally gets a hold of her and she reluctantly confirms their fears, based on news reports that she is watching from the basement of the North Tower. With a combination of information provided by Metzie, the limited resources they have at their disposal inside that elevator and their teamwork, those five trapped individuals try everything they can think of to free themselves, in between bonding and sharing personal details of their lives and trying to keep each other's growing fears from turning into panic. We also witness one desperate phone call that eventually successfully connects from inside the elevator and the valiant efforts by NYC fire fighters to save as many lives as possible even as the building starts coming apart.

"9/11" is a pretty good dramatization of the experience of being inside the World Trade Center on the morning of September 11, 2001, but is far from perfect. Most film critics (and many Movie Fans) have accused this movie of being cheesy, unrealistic, overly melodramatic and even offensive, but those criticisms are unduly harsh. The dialog in the script (by James Carson, Steven James Golebiowski and Martin Guigui, who also directs) is simplistic, Guigui's direction is too tame (and his film's budget too small), while the acting lacks depth… but to simply focus on those things is to miss the big picture. This movie approaches the experience of being in those towers that day from a fresh perspective and showcases the humanity of that day's victims and survivors, alongside the heroism of the WTC's workers and the New York area's first responders. People who are overly critical of how believably such people are portrayed weren't in the Twin Towers on that horrible day and those who think such portrayals are manipulative or unnecessary have kept themselves from appreciating this interesting and sympathetic motion picture. "B"
  • tjpierce-4567511 September 2017
    9-11: The Reviews Are Dishonest
    Let's face it--if you're a nobody typist at, say, Rottentomatoes, looking to make your bones by trashing an easy target, Charlie Sheen is about as good as it gets. And if Charlie's little drama is framed by the momentous events of 9-11, you have the irresistible opportunity to climb way up on your high horse and damn it as cheesy, awful, and exploitative.

9-11, the tense drama of five people trapped in a north tower elevator of the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001, is none of those things. It is suspenseful, well-written, moving, and the acting is solid. I mean, why wouldn't you tell the story of people trapped in those elevators, or a hundred other stories that happened in those towers on that day? People DIED in those elevators, and they have stories to tell.

There have been at least 182 films of every conceivable genre with World War 2 as the background--drama, suspense, thriller, action, comedy, super-hero, mystery, supernatural, ZOMBIE--yet, I cannot recall a single review that accused any of them of exploiting those 80 million deaths to lend their movie some gravitas.

The cast rocks. Charlie Sheen, Gina Gershon (who should have an Oscar nomination coming--she really brings it), Wood Harris, Luis Guzman, Whoopie Goldberg, Olga Fonda, they're all terrific. This was shot on a shoestring budget, so these performances were shot quickly, perhaps after a period of rehearsal, and yet they don't miss a moment. If I have a beef, it's with the sound. The hard surfaces inside an elevator set create a lot of reverb, and sound could use some additional filtering before the digital media release.

All the positives aside, douche nozzles such as the bunch at Rottentomatoes have reputations to make; moreover, judging from the paltry number of reviews, the producers probably couldn't afford a nice cruise junket. So here we are with a solid little film that scores only 14 percent at RT, whilst 86 percent of Google viewers liked it. That ought to tell you something.

Whatever. It'll be gone from the big screens faster than you can sneeze, but they're going to love it on Netflix.
  • Michael Ledo12 January 2018
    Elevators all have brakes.
    This is a fictional account of 5 people stuck in an elevator during the 9/11 attack. We are given quick character build-up on all five plus the operator. Charlie Sheen could have played himself. The film used stock footage of the attack and inserted an anachronistic speech by President Bush. The characters were not that note worthy. There are far better films of people stuck in an elevator. The dialogue wasn't great.

Guide: F-word. No sex or nudity.
  • TheTruthDoor11 September 2017
    Much Better Than I Expected
    This movie is actually much better than I expected it to be. The acting was very good, the editing was first rate, the plot was good. I honestly cannot think of a negative thing to say about it.

I hate Whoopi Goldberg but she played her role well, she reminded me of her part in "Ghost".

And what about Gina Gershon....she is so sexy, I honestly think she could be the modern day Raquel Welch. I loved every scene where she was in front of the camera. She is not only sexy as hell but she is a very good actress.

Charlie Sheen also did very well, he was believable and respectable.

9/11 is a good movie, unfortunately it has been a very long time since the real 9-11 so I am not sure the market is there for this film.
  • James Dempsey10 December 2017
    Tense & entertaining, but not spectacular
    I'm not sure what all the negative reviews are about, other than some people expect Oscar-worthy performances, stunning visuals and special effects, and obscenely creative story writing. This film has none of those, but that doesn't mean it's bad.

This was an entertaining film with pretty good acting. The story can't really be that creative, because the entire world knows how this story ends... it's kind of like watching a documentary that has a little bit of "creative license" thrown in to make it watchable—though this film is not a documentary.
  • artdoag2-180-15907810 September 2017
    It wasn't great, BUT
    I saw 9/11 the other day in a theater filled with two other people. Honestly, the movie has some stumbles in terms of pacing, dialogue, and logic: - Whoopie Goldberg's character works in a elevator control room in one of the towers. She stays behind (possibly disregarding orders to evacuate; this isn't made clear) to assist the trapped party in the elevator via intercom. When the first tower collapses, she explains to Jeffrey Cage (Sheen's character) that "one of the towers has just collapsed." Why would she mention "one of the towers" when she was IN one of them? -The high point of the trailer was the "elevator plummeting" sequence. They're in free-fall, terrifying slow-mo, and the elevator crashes to a halt... but it doesn't pay off. The next scene, they're basically uninjured, fully mobile.

But 9/11 does some other aspects well. The dialogue (keen 90s action-movie fans will notice Charlie Sheen deliver a recycled Bill-Paxton joke from 'Predator 2') is realistic enough for strangers finding themselves in a perilous situation. Personal prejudices bubble to the surface. Desperate times create desperate solutions, and challenges are risen to.

'9/11' knows its production values are limited, but manages to show a claustrophobic, small-scale depiction of Sept. 11th in a respectful manner. It doesn't wander too far into ultra-sappy melodrama territory (what 9/11 film doesn't?), and thankfully not all into ultra-patriotic or conspiracy theory territory. The characters' performances deliver for the most part. '9/11' might find some legs on downloads and rentals. 6 of 10.
  • bulldogveritas6 January 2018
    Seriously?
    It is insulting that this movie was made. Charlie Sheen is a 9/11 'truther'.
  • Michael_Elliott16 February 2018
    Deeply Flawed But It Held My Attention
    9/11 (2017)

** (out of 4)

Jeffrey Cage (Charlie Sheen) and his wife (Gina Gershon) are in the North Tower of the World Trade Center where she is wanting him to sign some divorce papers. The two of them get on an elevator shared with Michael (Wood Harris), Tina (Olga Fonda) and Eddie (Luis Guzman) when they feel a violent shake and the elevator gets stuck. They soon learn from an elevator worker (Whoopi Goldberg) what is going on outside.

9/11 got released to some of the worst reviews that you're ever going to read. This was meant to be Sheen's big dramatic comeback picture but it barely got a release and what critics did see the picture really ripped it to pieces. Some called it a shameful piece of exploitation while others just called it a poorly made and acted film. This obviously wasn't the first film to take on that day and it wasn't even the first to use the 9/11 title. With that being said, the film certainly has some major flaws but at the same time it's not quite as bad as they made it out to be.

I think the biggest problem with the film is that the screenplay is based on fiction. There are so many stories of bravery that day and I'm not sure why the writer would elect to tell a fake story. Did they not want to pay someone for their story? I'm not sure what their reasons were but they picked a pretty poor story that would have been better suited for an Irwin Allen disaster picture. The entire subplot of the divorce leads to some very silly scenes and some even poorer dialogue. I won't ruin what happens to the people in the elevator but the ending is pretty bad on many levels.

With that said, I must say that I thought the performances were good for the most part and that includes the actors playing the people in the elevator. I thought Guzman was extremely good in his role as was Harris. Sheen also had some decent moments but I don't think the performance is what he would have hoped for. None of the actors were done any favors though because the dialogue is just pretty poor at times and the director never really builds up any tension throughout the time we're with these people in the elevator.

Another problem was that the film was shot 2.35:1, which really wasn't a wise move in a film like this where you're meant to feel claustrophobic in a tight space. It seems like I'm bashing most of the film but I will say that it held my attention throughout. The film was obviously working with a very small budget, which didn't help things and while the film isn't a success, I think it's bad reputation is a bit too harsh.
  • Tom15 September 2017
    Brings you back.
    It is hard to say why this movie is getting negative reviews. Like many people, I saw the trailer, and Charlie Sheen and many question marks popped up. Aside from that, the trailer caught my interest. I'll start with the cast first.

Charlie Sheen has a knock out performance in this film. It is hard to watch him at times, knowing the health issues he is dealing with. Sheen is very much entrenched into his character. At times, you can't help but notice he has a lot of make-up on. I wonder if this was done on purpose. He plays his character with deep emotion and at times; I wondered if he wasn't making amends for his own personal demons as well as apologizing for his stance on 9/11. Regardless, he play his character with passion and appropriate emotion.

Whoopi Goldberg: Sensational and knock's her performance out of the park. Like Sheen, she played her character with passion and emotion. The only time you get a glimpse at her personal political views, is when she's watching George Bush on TV speaking about the terror attacks. The confused look on her face, like many at the time read "why is he talking about going after the bad guys, when we're here dealing with this right now".

The rest of the cast, equally plays their parts the same way. Every actor, and I mean every, did a wonderful job. At times, there are comparison between the characters in the elevator with today's issues. You'll see for yourself, and by no means is tasteless. It really just boils down to seeing these people, slowly wake up to what was happening to them, and trying to get out of that building.

The movie by no means is big budget. This isn't the towering inferno. Nor is it fast paced. It's people trapped in an elevator inside the World Trade Center on 9/11. I cannot understand where the negative reviews come from. Has enough time passed that, if a movie - even about 9/11, doesn't have enough explosions and car chases that we cannot enjoy it? This movie reuses footage, yes. A good touch, it will bring you back to that day. There is a scene where one of the characters gets a hold of her mom. The Mom becomes responsible for calling the trapped victim's families and telling them what is happening to them. And that they love their family very much. All while they are watching the world trade center on the television. Knowing, like all of us, that day there were thousands still inside the buildings.

The movie brought back many memories for me. The cast did an excellent job and the ending was very moving. I did get teary eyed many times throughout the film. I highly recommend this "9/11" film. It was done with taste and emotion. And yes, I'll never forget.
  • subxerogravity10 September 2017
    You're hoping for better (casue of the title and what it means), but you don't get it. However, it's still an OK film.
    I just realized the movie came out on the weekend before 9/11's 16th anniversary, but first and foremost, this movie is about people. It's a compelling story about how strangers from all walks of life, can just so happen in an elevator, set to the background of 9/11. These people start to bond as they attempt to survive.

It's trilling, suspenseful and very dramatic, especially the performance of Charlie Sheen, proving he is still capable of playing a character that's just not himself in a way (Don't even know the last time he played someone who was not named Charlie)

The whole movie feels like a play, and then I find out in the end credits that that's exactly what it was adapted from, a play called Elevator, a title I must admit I'd prefer over 9/11.

Though I understand why they called in 9/11, what's good about this character driven piece is the fact that it's about the characters and the story happens to be set on 9/11. I just love the good life lessons the story tells as these strangers get to know each other past the stereotypes we put on people on our first impressions. Very human.

Overall, it's not the best movie but I am impressed by the adaption. It really touches on the right emotions.

• aberg-5519512 September 2017
    Great film
    I went to see this film by myself and then went back and took my family. I felt it was important to share this experience with my teenage children and to open the conversation about helping each other face adversity. This film is not about terror, its about hope. It should win big awards. I was very moved - I will never forget the ending.
  • thiagofrans28 February 2018
    Charlie Sheen Oscarbait
    This is the biggest oscarbait movie i have ever seen. Littery everything in this movie is bad. all the actors are bad in this movie ive seen pornos with better actors and set designs. the elevator set looks like a basement and the control room looks like its made out of boxes. the characters are thin as hell. also i hate the cliche of the black guy hating white people just cus this movie feels so racist anyone who is not white in this movie is a stereotype.
  • lavatch6 February 2018
    Talky & Maudlin
    In the closing screen credits, the filmmakers of "9/11" implore the audience to "never forget" the tragic events of September 11, 2001. Unfortunately, this film treatment is all-too-forgettable.

The film was adapted from a work of theater by Patrick James Carson, and, predictably, the characters are wooden and the dialogue is stage-bound. It is fairly difficult to "open up" the environment of a trapped-in-an-elevator story into a work of cinema. As the five passengers stuck between the 37th and 38th floors of the North Tower realize, they must pass the time through a deep, profound confessional about their lives. But the confessionals were neither deep nor profound.

There was an effort to bring star power to the film in the casting of Charlie Sheen as Jeffrey Cage, the former "king of Wall Street," who visited the World Trade Center on 9/11 in order to finalize his divorce with his wife Eve (Gina Gershon). Luis Guzmán plays the dedicated "custodial engineer" Eddie. Olga Fonda is the gorgeous woman (Eddie is chided for calling her a mija who merits the score of "10") who has come to the tower to break off a relationship with an older man. And Wood Harris plays Eddie, the messenger, who reluctantly went to work that day instead of spending it with his daughter on her birthday. Whoppi Goldberg's character is fumbling around in the control room, helpless in her efforts to assist the apparently doomed souls trapped in the elevator.

It is important to remember the victims and heroic first responders of 9/11. But this film played out more like a maudlin made-for-television movie than a feature film that sought to memorialize one of the most awful days in our history.
  • admtech6913 December 2017
    Great cast - decent plot - severely underrated
    This film is based on Patrick James Carson's award-winning play Elevator, so keep this in mind when viewing this film. It is a study in group dynamics under extraordinary circumstances and not a big budget special effects flick. Each of the five main actors: Charlie Sheen, Gina Gershon, Wood Harris, Luis Guzman, Whoopie Goldberg and Olga Fonda turn in stellar performances. Not one weak performance throughout and the dialogue is realistic and natural. There is an underlying pathos which is hardly exploitative but instead reminds you of the human drama that occurred on that day as well as the heroic sacrifices of the Emergency Personnel who gave their lives to save others. Do not let the other reviews dissuade you, highly recommended.
  • joaosantos209 December 2017
    this movie is not actually bad
    Got some mixed feelings about this movie. I decided to see it as a joke, nut the movie is really OK, i liked it. The acting could be better but I've seen so much worst, the history of the characters is captivating, they never feel one dimension, there are tense moments, you really care about them. The problem is the setting. If this was some elevator movie it really was OK, but why use the 9/11 and in what i assume are fictional characters? that is really not OK, people died, there was to be some sens of moral. So i rated as a movie, i liked it, but i really did not liked the 9/11 background, feels forced and even exploitation.
  • Prismark1014 December 2017
    Trapped
    9/11 is based on Patrick James Carson's play Elevator. It is a low budget film about five people trapped in an elevator in the north tower of the World Trade Center on 11 September 2001.

I still remember a work colleague in Britain telling me what happened during that day. The way he described it I was not sure whether he was joking or not or whether the whole thing was just incredulous. I tried to go on the BBC news website and it took ages for it to download the headline page because of the volume of the net traffic.

Charlie Sheen and Gina Gershon are a couple on the verge of divorce. He is a billionaire, the lift they use suddenly stops. Luis Guzman plays a worker in the lift who contacts Whoopie Goldberg who works in the maintenance room.

The five people in the elevator are initially unaware as to what has happened but slowly they become aware especially via Goldberg what is happening all around them and they need to get out of the elevator quickly.

The film does look a bit cheap and quickly shot but the actors give passionate and earnest performances, especially as it dawns on them as to the peril they are in and something very serious has taken place.

Even the audience would fear the worse for these five people and that they make not make it out alive.

The film does draw you in and rather captivates you as it goes along even though at times you also feel the film is manipulative. I can understand why the movie was accused of bad taste because of its release date near the date of the disaster.
  • dmega-6416310 December 2017
    Underrated emotional and powerful depiction of 9/11
    I really don't get the negative reviews. The movie starts with some background into the characters and delves a bit deeper into those during the movie. I started to identify with each and sat on the edge of my seat encouraging them to escape. Although a bit slow at times, and mostly filmed in an elevator, the build-up of the fear and personal closeness in the characters combined with their determination to survive was riveting to watch. There is some action and scenes in other locations to keep the pace going. Solid performances by Whoopi Goldberg, Charlie Sheen and all the other cast makes this a must watch. The ending sealed the deal for me, I won't spoil it but it's in my opinion the most emotional part.
  • adonis98-743-18650311 June 2018
    Not bad, Not great..
    A group of five people find themselves trapped in an elevator in the World Trade Center's North Tower on 9/11. They work together, never giving up hope, to try to escape before the unthinkable happens. 9/11 has it's moments but it never achieves the dramatic moments of it's source material and i'm talking about one of the saddest moments in history alright? This needed to achieve and expand more it's characters and the story of those people instead of having jokes, random scenes that had no balance and an ending that was disappointing. Also Goldberg's role was overcooked and under developed and i did expected alot more from this film. (5.4/10)
  • rodrig5812 May 2018
    Just another movie on the same subject!
    Five very good actors immobilized in a lift give all the best of them in this static drama, one more natural than another. Personally, I really appreciate Charlie Sheen, but the other four, Gina Gershon, Luis Guzmán, Wood Harris, Olga Fonda, are as credible as possible. I never liked Whoopi Goldberg and in this film she doesn't convince me that she is the great actress that everyone thinks. Jacqueline Bisset has a small and insignificant role to make a comment. The film is neither good nor bad. I do not know what budget they had but I would have liked to see more action happening outside the elevator, in the building, around the building.
  • Paul Middleton15 December 2017
    POINTLESS. a democrats 911
    I knew as soon as i saw Whoopee Goldberg obsessed democrat. Charlie sheen ( say no more about him) and Gina gerson with all her vanity fair stuff and bill Clinton fiasco. This was going to be a propaganda movie telling us how the official story is correct. i expected the movie was going to take us down this road. Well thats what i thought. But No, it was a movie that could have been made in any lift in any city in any building.

i couldn't drag myself to the end of the movie. i got 45% through with the horrible acting and too much whoopie. i got tired quickly. Not only is this the worst movie EVER about 911 it doesn't hardly follow what happened that day. Just a story about a lift. its spends first half of the movie telling you about a divorce you dont really care about. it has no substance. Is this what they want us to remember about 911 a few people in a lift. Are democrats that scared to talk about 911 that all they can muster up is a movie about some people stuck in a lift. i wonder how much money it cost to make this movie. it is VERY BAD