User Reviews (79)

• Don't Think Twice is a tremendously satisfying film about a very specific world, and anybody familiar with the gruelling hustle of comics, writers and improvisers vying for any measure of success in those fields will recognize many of the characters and small details that Mike Birbiglia has written into this film. Outsiders, though, don't have to worry that this is all "inside baseball" for comedy nerds because the emotions and relationships that propel this film are pretty universal. Driven by a talented ensemble and featuring as many poignant moments as genuine laugh lines, this humble film may stick with you a lot longer than you'd expect.
  • miniotd28 December 2016
    One of the best movies of the year. Grounded, realistic, funny, and bittersweet. If you want a pure comedy, this isn't the movie for you. It certainly is funny, but it is also spend a fair chunk of the movie on characters and conflict. It's dramatic parts actually ended up working better than the comedic elements for me.

The acting was surprisingly very good for actors who have made their names in comedy and improv. Gillian Jacobs and Chris Gethard were the standouts, though each of the actors has at least one standout moment.

Not for everyone certainly, but very good and one of the best of the year. I think I'll finally get around to seeing Birbiglia's other movie "Sleepwalk With We" now.
    I'm not one who usually likes an inconclusive ending, but this was an exception. Birbiglia's writing is obviously based off of experience and reality, which makes this movie a fresh breath of air. While the movie focuses around a group of comedians who are very funny when onstage, their lives aren't exactly a laugh, and that's just real life. There were sad moments, sure, but there were also happy moments, and funny moments. I don't understand the need for pure entertainment for an hour and a half. Can't we all just feel something human? If you like movies that are purely separated from reality, this isn't for you, but in my opinion, this movie was real and spoke to me. I was very excited to see this movie and I was more satisfied by the end than I thought I would be. I have recommended this film to everyone and will continue doing so. A real win by Mike Birbiglia and the rest of the cast.
    "Don't Think Twice" is a movie about a group of friends who have kept alive an improv group known as "The Commune." One "show- boater" (played by Michael Keegan-Key) in the group lets loose during one night's performance because he knows a scout from a knock-off of "Saturday Night Live" television show will be in the audience. Lo and behold, he and his girlfriend (expertly played by Gillian Jacobs) land auditions while the rest of the troupe, albeit through clenched teeth, wish them good luck.

I think the one huge mistake about the movie is its promotion. Billed as a "comedy," that is just an incorrect and very misleading label. Yes, there are some comedic moments, but this is a serious look about these peoples lives. When some of them come to the realization they have made it as far as they are going to make it, well, it's just painful to watch.

Comedian Mike Birbiglia, who wrote and stars in this movie, is just amazing. His ensemble cast are also top-notch. One of the most poignant parts of the movie is when Gillian Jacobs' character pretends she is at the bottom of a well and replies to her boyfriend, "it's okay for me to be at the bottom."

I can see why some people are disappointed, and I will strongly caution (again) this is NOT a knee-slapping, gut-busting comedy. It is an all too real lesson about life. Rated R for language and adult situations.
  • treider-8942228 December 2016
    Great insight into improv side of the comedy world and the struggles and emotions involved with trying to fulfill the dream of stardom. Both funny and touching,the film follows the ups and downs of each member of an improv troupe as they attempt to find their niche while dealing with day to day struggles with family, relationships and each other. It doesn't have light sabers or magical creatures, but if you can get past that (because you're an intelligent adult with a sense of humor) then I would recommend this film. The casting was perfect and I've added this film to a short list of movies that I can go back to at anytime and enjoy.
  • "Fall and then figure out what to do on the way down." Miles (Birbiglia) has been running a improv troupe for many years and is still waiting for his big break. Everyone in the group is excited when scouts from the show Weekend Live show up one night. Everyone is riding high after the show but when Jack (Key) is the only one chosen the lives of every start to change. Reality hits everyone and they all begin to wonder what their lives are really about. This is a good movie, but not really for everyone. There is some funny comedy in this, but the movie is really more or less a character study of a group of very different people all trying for the same goal. The movie is more dramatic than I expected and feels very real, which adds to the enjoyment of this. Overall, funny and just real. Not for everyone, feels like a stage play but I did like it. I give this a B.
    I don't think all movies should appeal to all audiences (you cannot be everything to everybody), and my guess is this film is like an "acid test" for creative people. If you are not of the creative-artistic type, the movie will probably say nothing to you. However, if you do belong to that group, you'll relate to a lot of what happens to the characters in the movie, and won't get enough of it; at least that's what happened to me.

Personally, some of the situations and questions discussed in the movie that I've faced myself as a member of the aforementioned group are: * Should I water down my production, in order to end the struggle of paying the rent of every month? * When you're in your 20s, there's something romantic about living like a band of gypsies, but as time goes by and everything takes more effort... where do you draw the line? * Seeing plagiarized something you never cared to protect in the first place, because you thought there was an understanding * Chickening out in the last moment from some "big opportunity" only because your gut feeling tells you that something's not right * Inspiration (the masterpiece that will come whenever) vs consistency (the product that, good or bad, you have to put at the door every week, following certain parameters, and nobody cares if your dad died yesterday) * That idea you have in your head and never get around to putting in paper * That work you've put in paper but never get around to submitting to other people's critique (because it's your baby) * Soul-drying day job vs still being financed by your parents at an embarrassing age The movie, like any good movie, does not provide a single answer to these questions, but each character's individual answer. Someone said in other comment that there is no character development, and I disagree; definitely all the characters end up in a different place to where they started, with lessons learned about the world, the others, and themselves.

There is a small scene that resonates a lot with me; when the protagonists meet Ben Stiller and they are kind of starstruck and overwhelming him with questions, Bill congratulates him for a Herman Monster sketch he wrote, and Stiller mumbles "that was a long time ago...". Here is the ambivalence: saying that something happened "a long time ago" is a bad thing in entertainment (it means you're yesterday's news), but a good thing in art (it means you've created a piece that people can revisit time after time through the years with affection). That tension is present in the whole film: are we just the court's jester, or is there something more important in stake here? The writing of the script is very subtle, it keeps growing on you after watching it (again, if this is your kind of film). Even the characters that appear only once or twice have a lot to them, amazing tips of the iceberg.

The choice of improvisation theater as the artistic discipline is also very wise; in all forms of art you are to some degree "putting yourself out there", but in improvisation that's perhaps more literal than in any other genre. You may have trained a lot but, when the moment comes, the piece of art is yourself, no safety net there...

The actors are all great, good casting and superb interpretations. Keegan-Michael Key is great in his role as, together with Stiller, the "celebrity-who-fights-to-stay-human". His love story with Samantha (Gillian Jacobs) is beautiful and multi-layered, there is even a short bed scene that is treated, for a change, with humor and simple kindness, so good to see after the usual "wrestling" that seems to be mandatory for those scenes in blockbuster films... The beautiful Gillian Jacobs can communicate a lot of emotion without using words, and she also has a knack for comedy... Mike Birbiglia is great as the slightly disenchanted leader of the group, who lives in kind of a "time wrap", a windowless room where he seduces his twenty something students, waiting for the next thing to happen in his career... The enigmatic Kate Micucci is perfect in her character of Allison, the delicate and insecure girl who draws her beautiful inner world, and always can use a push from her friends.

I also like the character of Lindsay (Tami Sagher), perhaps the most close to "conventional" among the troupe, with the blessing of wealthy parents that support her economically, which is also a curse as it increases the pressure to "make it". And Chris Gethard is great as Bill, a reserved guy who stays true to his principles and loyal to his friends no matter what, and in whom the balance he has achieved with his dad takes a very different shape.

Like I said, perhaps it's not a movie for everybody. It's an intimate kind of movie. I feel all those characters as my friends, as someone I could hang out with, but I understand that for other people, the movie can feel petty or random, like "why should they care". To each their own. :)
  • quinimdb3 December 2016
    "Don't Think Twice" is a real, heartfelt dramedy about a improv comedy troupe named "The Communes". The film begins after this troupe has been going for maybe over a decade, and all of its members are in their 30s and still have day jobs to get by (except for Lindsay, who has rich parents). The film starts with their preparation for a show, and it shows their connection to each other.

Improv comedy is about the group, as one of the three rules in the beginning of the film states, but this film is about each character, and how they let go of the group and move on. Unlike many comedy films today, the comedy in the film is character based, and since the characters are the main focus of the film, the comedy is intertwined with every scene. It isn't a film that has "jokes" necessarily, but its a film about funny moments because of the interaction between the characters, which is very similar to improv.

As stated in the beginning of the film, there is no losing in improv. Even as they fall, they can make it good on the way down, and they do that in real life and in their improv towards the beginning of the film. The problems begin to arise when the rules they could follow so easily before begin to fall apart. They said it was all about the group, but they can't progress in their career and get on "Weekend Live" (an obvious jab at SNL) if they don't worry only about themselves. They can't say yes to everything if they have to look out for themselves first. They have to think first if they're doing written material.

The highlight of the film is its performances and writing, but it is a visually interesting film in some regards. Scenes are shot with care and attention to the state of the characters. For instance, there is one scene in which Samantha is doing her last improv show alone, and during her performance she realizes that, even though she loves them, she likes being away from her troupe, and especially Jack. The scene is shot closer to her face and with a mire shallow depth of view as it progresses and she becomes more satisfied with her independence.

So, obviously the group begins to fall apart after Jack goes to "Weekend Live", but they end up accepting their maturity and realizing the only way they could keep the group together is to let each person do what's best for themselves.

This is the kind of film Judd Apatow wants to make: it isn't shot boringly, the comedy is real, the characters are relatable, and the drama doesn't feel forced.
  • I wanted to see this movie because it incorporated some of my favorite actors. I wasn't disappointed, not only by their performances, but by the writing itself. The movie was laugh out loud funny but also poignant and touching. I recommended it on Twitter and told everyone they should go see it. It was a great date movie too -- my husband and I, who often have fairly different tastes in movies and TV -- both really enjoyed it. It was sweet enough for me and had enough humor and action for him. I also love that it was an indie flick and a labor of love.

Highly recommend!
  • Written, directed by, and starring stand-up comedian Mike Birbiglia, Don't Think Twice is a heartfelt love letter to all creative performers, particularly those not so young anymore, still scrambling to make a living in a very competitive field. It must take a lot of nerve for artists to resist safer careers in more modest vocations (what up accounting, I'll see you tomorrow!), and Birbiglia aims to recognize this in his very personal drama. Don't be fooled by the funny people on the poster, this is not a comedy, it's a drama ABOUT comedy.

The film centers on an improv troupe of six people who are also best friends, roommates, and lovers when they are not at the offshoot theater where they perform. One of the more interesting ideas is the honest portrayal of how one might feel towards the perceived success of a good friend in a make or break industry. Sure, you're smiling on the outside, but inside…"you lucky SOB."

The movie also throws some serious shade at Saturday Night Live, an institution that I have to assume some of the cast auditioned for at some point in real life. Costarring Keegan-Michael Key and the lovely Gillian Jacobs, Don't Think Twice is one of a kind and worth the trip to the indie theater.
  • An outstanding cast with a really accurate take on improv. The film does a great job showing the different personalities in the group and how they manage to come together as one, only to fall apart in the end. Very insightful work by Birbiglia.

The casting was just about perfect, I loved seeing improv vets like Chris Gethard and Tami Sagher get their chance in this film. The teaching scenes were particularly entertaining. While most improv players won't ever get close to anything like an SNL audition, the ups and downs of an improv group will ring true.

Just about the right length with the requisite sappiness and lover story to tie it all together.
  • I'm a fan of Mike Birbiglia's work on all fronts. My expectations for this movie were high, though I didn't read into what the film was about before I watched it. As a result, I was blind-sided by a film that made my night and the days after ones of self-reflection.

As a creative working in film, there's always the struggle to better one's work, to achieve your dream. And with that there will always be people reaching higher heights than you. Dealing with jealousy, failure, and maintaining optimism is something I relate to, and watching this film's characters go through all of these ups and downs completely resonated with me. But it doesn't matter if you're in comedy, film, or any art form or not. Just being a person in every day life we deal with people who rise higher than us. This is a film that show us we all have our strengths and our weaknesses, and it's okay to embrace who we are; even if we're not all destined for greatness.

The movie is acted with wit, joy, and heart; each of the cast members getting a flavor to add to the soup, to create delicious film that is made by its ensemble. Mike's look at the struggle of both comedians and all hard workers in their field is one that entirely relatable, and completely empathetic. I enjoyed this movie so much I watched it two days later to show it to my photographer girlfriend, and her tears at the end of both self recognition and motivation spoke for itself.

I absolutely recommend this movie to any fans of comedy, drama, or simply life itself. It's a fun and easy to watch ride with a powerful message to yourself should you choose to read it. Kudos, Mike Birbiglia on another successful endeavor.
  • "I think for anyone - male or female - in improv, the biggest thing to get over is the fear. I think every improviser has that." Rachel Dratch

Don't Think Twice makes you think more than once about not just the enormous demands of comedy, including fear of failure, but also about doing anything for a profession that may give you little to no compensation other than the joy of doing what you love and are good at.

More than anything else, this comedy makes a poignant comment on the irony of talented people making it while other talents struggle never to be recognized. Miles (writer-director Mile Birbiglia) feels it painfully as he sees Jack (Keegan-Michael Key) win a spot on Weekend Live (no doubt, Saturday Night Live) while Miles and his other colleagues labor in the lesser venue of NYC on the improv team, The Commune.

As the title of their improv group suggests, their work is communal, depending on an effort for which individual spotlights have no place. Ironically, Jack wins the Weekend Live job partially by standing out doing a solo routine even though his colleagues warned him against it.

Don't Think Twice does an effective job of showing the inherent contradictions of communal support and individual talent. In the matter of a romance between Jack and Sam (Gillian Jacobs), the tensions between their emerging rewards for their talent and sacrifice are subtly displayed in their loving routines and their personal love.

You would not be surprised to know how difficult it would be to determine which bits in the movie are improv and which are rehearsed, so good are the performers. Even that puzzle supports a theme about the intersection of reality and artifice, a benign clash between the creative improvisation and the spontaneity of life itself. Both bring their rewards and disappointments.

Here is a comedy with touches of real life--hey, I think that's what life itself is all about.
  • Jack (Keegan Michael Key) and his girlfriend Samantha (Gillian Jacobs) are members of NYC improv troupe The Commune. Miles (Mike Birbiglia) is the veteran. Allison is writing a graphic book. Lindsay is the only one with money from her rich parents. Bill is struggling after his father get into an accident. When producers of the network show Weekend Live attend their show, Jack takes center stage to do an impression of President Obama. Jack and Samantha get a call to audition. Jack is hired and gains success. Meanwhile, the other members struggle with their individual problems and keeping the group together.

These are great characters and a touching group friendship. These characters feel genuine. Their problems have a reality. The laughs aren't really that big ... except for Jack's "funeral". It's a sweet little sad-sack group. Keeping in tune with its group philosophy, everybody contributes their own piece to the whole. It's just a nice little movie.
  • Hi film makers. Here a free tip. Never make movies about people that are supposed to be funny, and then show what is supposed to be funny. No actor ever, ever ever ever, manages to make that not cringe worthy. They come close here, but maybe as close as anyone ever will be.

Here the thing: We see a lot of improv comedy, and it is supposed to be funny, and the audience is laughing because it's funny. (in other words, we are told that is funny or not) Here's the problem: we get to see what the audience is seeing and it's NOT funny. That really takes me out of it. And even if it WERE funny, we would know it was probably scripted, and scripted improv, well that's not very funny. (I realize the improv scenes a probably a blend of script and not, any-who, it not funny)

Let's say you made a movie about the worlds funniest joke. It would be a lot smarter to not show the actual joke and just let the mind wonder about it. As soon a you show the joke, well, it ruins it, because chances are it's not the funniest joke ever. See?

OK. With that said! Most of the improv seems quite natural though, and the acting is good. I didn't find the movie very funny, but I think where it shines is in the drama. Because this movie has some pretty good, heart felt points about human behavior. It's got some tense scenes, and quite a few times it hits quite close to home. (At one time I was like: wow, that character is me. NOT gonna say who)

I sort of wish they had solved the improv-thing in another way, by maybe not showing so much of it, or making it supposed to be cringey. I don't know.

It's a sad movie, not really a feel good one, and that's good.
  • Actors, improvisers, comics or any kind of artist, really, shouldn't miss Mike Birbiglia's "Don't Think Twice." The comic-turned-actor/filmmaker journeys behind the curtain for his second film to put an honest lens on the inherent friction that occurs when artists need each other to succeed but also have their own dreams, egos and pursuits.

The film focuses on a modestly successful New York-based improv troupe called the Commune, whose supportive, team-first nature (as per the rules of improv) gets challenged when they learn their venue is closing and one of them has gotten his big break — a spot on the cast of "Saturday Night Live" equivalent "Weekend Live."

In the group are Miles (Birbiglia), who at 36 has managed to make being in a troupe and teaching improv into an unglamorous but stable career; Sam (Gillian Jacobs) and Jack (Keegan-Michael Key), the groups biggest talents who are in a relationship together; Allison (Kate Miccuci), an aspiring graphic novelist; Bill (Chris Gethard), another longtime performer who just wants to prove he's accomplished something; and Lindsay (Tami Sagher), who is unemployed, unmotivated and still lives with her wealthy parents.

All these carefully crafted characters "get by" despite their mutual struggles, until Jack gets plucked by "Weekend Live," and the group dynamics get tested in the toughest way possible. There's resentment, group members who hope to use Jack to land a writing job on the show and a lot of grappling with reality and what each of them really wants out of life.

Although "Don't Think Twice" is steeped in the world of improv, and Birbiglia thematically asserts early on in the film that the rules of improv ("say yes," "don't think") are echoed off stage as much as on it, his approach to writing and directing is, ironically, much more carefully planned and controlled.

You can see a lot of the mechanisms at work in Birbiglia's writing play out on screen. The scenes in the film, on average, are probably a minute long each. Many are 30-second snapshots. So each scene, and in many cases each shot, have a specific objective in the arch of the story. This structure inherently reveals all of Birbiglia's cards, which is a big risk, but the film's premise is so effectively rooted in truth that it works.

Critical to this payoff are the performances. When an actor is given so many short scenes with clear objectives, there's not a lot of wiggle room in the performance. You have to take what you're given and bring the additional layers of complexity; you must be a believable person within somewhat rigid confines.

Jacobs does this the best, and will undoubtedly get her own big break soon unless she prefers the climate on planet indie. Her character has a somewhat atypical personal journey and Jacobs brings a lot range to it. We also see the full scope of what Key is capable of, namely that he doesn't have to be over-the-top and hilarious as he is on "Key and Peele" to be successful.

To be fair, acting isn't the lone ingredient that makes this tight ship of a 92-minute film work as a movie we can all identify with. Birbiglia makes a lot of it happen behind the camera too. Balancing planning and precision with rawness and authenticity is not easy and for the most part, he manages to do it. He's most successful when he counteracts the tight writing composition with more relaxed shot composition. There's mostly hand-held camera work in the film, and a nice touch is how the improvisation scenes are filmed from the stage, not the audience. This keeps things loose and also keeps us closer to the characters, the heart of the movie.

Heart is one thing Birbiglia isn't missing, but don't worry — there's plenty to laugh at too. Lots of Birbiglia's great sneak-attack humor can be found throughout. Yet the comedy isn't the takeaway here so much as the carefully honed theme of how we chase our dreams while wrestling with our realities, something so universal that it would be hard to find someone who doesn't get it. It's such a true message that even when Birbiglia gets heavy-handed, it's hard not to appreciate the nobility of his purpose.

~Steven C

Thanks for reading! Visit Movie Muse Reviews for more
  • If you're a true movie buff you see a LOT of films, but how often do you see a film where you TRULY CARE about what happens to the characters? Which makes "Don't Think Twice" truly unique.

Maybe because the story is set in now-trendy Brooklyn, or maybe because the characters are all young and attractive (esp. "Sam", Gillian Jacobs' character...Ms. Jacobs is absolutely adorable!), or maybe because I admire and respect someone who can create an alternate persona and clever dialogue in the blink of an eye (which is what Improv is all about), but I was totally enthralled by this film as if I were watching people I knew and cared about. Have to admit, the ending left me a little misty-eyed.

"Don't Think Twice" is a charming story about the kind of seemingly-ordinary people you would pass on the street without knowing that they, once upon a stage, are 'Gods'...as the ancient Greeks believed actors were.
  • Following my viewing of the film—which I got to enjoy in the pleasant privacy of an entirely empty theater, due to my choice of a four o'clock viewing on a Tuesday—I found myself agreeing with the glowing reviews I'd found before seeing it. The movie begins with truly organic humor (literally, many scenes of the movie feature actual improvisation being performed by the actors), but proceeds to delve into the personal lives of each character, exploring their motivations, flaws, and aspirations, thus providing a unique blend of both honest comedy and honest relationships. The film's end provides what can be described as not so much a plot twist, but simply a refreshing departure from a common conclusion.
  • Don't Think Twice (2016) was written and directed by Mike Birbiglia. Birbiglia also stars in the film.

Some reviewers have described this movie as a light-hearted comedy, but I don't agree. I think that it's a serious movie about show business, and especially about relationships among actors in a improvisation group. Because we see great improv on screen, the movie is funny and enjoyable. But the real thrust, in my opinion, is that acting is hard, and improvisation is even harder.

An improv group called The Troupe consists of several actors who have stuck together, and managed to make enough money to survive, if not to live well. One of The Troupe gets called up to the big leagues--the film's equivalent of Saturday Night Live. What happens next to the actor moving up? And, what happens to The Troupe?

Not only is this film interesting and entertaining, but it provides insight into the meaning of friendship, loyalty, bonding, and group effort. Don't Think Twice leaves you laughing, but it also leaves you thinking.

We saw this film on the big screen at the great Little Theatre In Rochester, NY. It will probably do almost as well on the small screen. See it if you can. You won't be disappointed.
  • There is always someone out there that is going to say a certain movie is great simply because it has that "artsy" or "independent" feel to it, regardless if the movie is good or not. That is the only reason this movie can have the overly generous rating it has.

I get that it's not a comedy, but shouldn't at least the few improv scenes they show be mildly funny? OK so I got over that I wasn't going to laugh at all during the movie, but then for a drama it was simply flat and boring. I never felt anything for the characters, even though the acting wasn't bad. The "commune" actors didn't seem to have a believable chemistry to where you really felt for them.

I grasped that the movie wasn't really plot-driven and its intent was to show struggling actors and how they deal with things like selfishness, self doubt, compassion, etc., but I just found the presentation of it a big yawner.
  • LJ'S QUICK MOVIE REVIEW

"Don't Think Twice", directed by Mike Birbiglia, is light-hearted comedy that follows the story of a small, six-member improv group called The Commune. The Commune is essentially a closely knit team, with each member complementing the other.

However, when Jack, an ambitious member of The Commune, gets the opportunity to join 'Weekend Live!' (a huge entertainment company), he faces a unique situation. He wants to achieve greater success, but doesn't want to leave his faithful and hardworking team behind.

The well-written script is elevated by the great organic performances put forth by Keegan-Michael Key (Jack), Gillian Jacobs, Birbiglia, and the rest of the cast. Every single character has moments of self-doubt, self-discovery, and emotional conflict.

Overall, "Don't Think Twice" is definitely a comedy worth watching because it explores the themes of envy, loyalty, and a sense of belonging through dynamic characters we can all relate to.

LJ's Grade: B
  • A few months ago i with one of my friends at the Teen Choice Awards, he was nominated, i was not.... yet (maniacal laugh). While we were back stage there was a man sitting on a couch, he looked familiar and I would be lying if I said I didn't know who he was. I walked up to him immediately and introduced myself, "Hey man, my names Darrick. Whats yours?" "My names Keegan." he said, " Keegan Michael Key." I then went on to compliment him on his movie Keanu and for about 5 minutes him and I literally played off of each other making jokes about how my shirt lit up to sound waves and how they could make a James Bond villain based off of it named "shock shirt." He was so kind and so freaking funny in person that it was just easy to talk and joke around with him. Thats what i loved about this movie. It really captured not only who each character was but how each character easily related to the person playing it.

Movies like this are few and far between. For an indie release this movie really shocked me for not only how well it was made but also how simple and in depth they went with the story. The work that went into this project truly payed off. I am blown away by the directing of Mike Birbiglia and the talent this man has in the form of writing. This movie gave me hope that when (God willing) I direct feature films I will still have a chance to bring stories to the screen that are as beautiful and relatable as this. If there is anything to be taken away from this movie it is this: 1. "Say Yes" to your situations and make the best out of them whether its through laughter or love and sometimes both. 2. Surround yourself with people that want more for you than from you because "Its all about the group" so don't ever make it about yourself. 3. "Don't think." BUT IF YOU DO... then if you followed rules 1 and 2 then you should make it out alright.

God Bless -@darrick
  • 'DON'T THINK TWICE': Five Stars (Out of Five)

Critically acclaimed comedy-drama flick, written and directed by Mike Birbiglia. It tells the story of a New York City improv troupe, that's torn apart when one of it's members gets a big TV break. Birbiglia also costars in the movie; with Keegan-Michael Key, Gillian Jacobs, Chris Gethard, Kate Micucci and Tami Sagher. The film received almost unanimously positive reviews from critics (99% positive on Rotten Tomatoes), and I absolutely loved it as well!

Jack (Key), Samantha (Jacobs), Miles (Birbiglia), Bill (Gethard), Lindsay (Sagher) and Allison (Micucci) are all comedians living in New York City. They're also the talented members of an improv troupe, that's about to breakup; due to the closing of the local theater they use. Each one of them dreams of getting a job on the popular variety show 'Weekend Live' (which is exactly like 'SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE'). When Jack gets offered a gig on the show, it causes severe jealousy (and much drama) among the entire group.

The movie is extremely funny; the cast are all great in their roles, and they're hilarious as well. They also seem like real people though, with real problems; that's one of the reasons they're so funny. The movie is surprisingly heartfelt as well; it's a real (and very genuine) tearjerker (I was sobbing by the end of it). That's the ingredients for a great (5 star) movie to me; it's really entertaining (throughout), filled with lovable characters, and I cry (multiple times) at the end. It's one of the very best films of the year!

Watch our movie review show 'MOVIE TALK' at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoA3hREqWrU
  • After "Sleepwalk with Me," I fell in love with Mike Birbiglia. I'd seen his stand-up and thought he had a fresh, positive view on life, but after seeing his first film, everything made sense. I saw him live a few years ago enjoy him even more now. I was so excited to see "Don't Think Twice" and was not let down. Dare I say, it's even better than "Sleepwalk with Me." The peak into the lives of a group of people just trying to "make it" in a business where most people won't actually has a universal message. If you've ever had a close-knit group of friends/family, you know how one moment can completely change the dynamic of the relationship. This film is heartfelt and funny as hell. You'll laugh, you'll laugh more, and then you'll pretend there's something in your eye...
  • you can call it a "dark comedy" at best, but it is NOT a funny movie, unless you have a very low standard for making you laugh. it's not a very interesting story, and unless you can relate to being in an improv group, you probably will not enjoy anything about this movie.

I thought about shutting this off about 30 minutes in, and wish I would have, it didn't get better, it didn't get interesting, and definitely did NOT get funny...

snooze-fest!, unless you can relate for some reason, just give it a pass...

there is not a thing that will make you laugh...