User Reviews (673)

• I was surprised to see that this movie was released last year (as I'm writing this) and I didn't heard about it, taking in consideration how promising the plot is.

Split is about three girls get kidnapped by a man with dissociative identity disorder (DID) that has 23 personalities. I have to say that this movie does not represent what DID really is and how people who struggle with it are, mainly because this movie gets a bit too fantastical sometimes. It doesn't try to be strictly realistic though, so it's an awesome thriller anyway.

The movie gives you chills since the very start with an awesome acting by James McAvoy and some seriously good still scenes. The overall scenes make you have a weird feeling, something it succeeds to transfer to the viewer that you probably won't be able to describe. That makes this thriller stand out in a good way.

Maybe Split makes a unrealistic representation of dissociative identity disorder, and that can be a big turnoff, but this is a great movie nonetheless.
  • This movie will keep you watching waiting for the next character coming out of James McAvoy. He should have won some awards for his performance of a man with many different personalities. James was very convincing in every part he played. The end is great but I don't want to give anything away so I won't comment on that at all. Well written and the actors were perfect. Watch it today, just don't make the mistake of downloading a different movie called Split about bowling. I did that and that is one of the worst movies I ever saw!
    Shyamalan had his debut with the critically acclaimed 'The Sixth Sense' followed by positively reviewed movies 'Unbreakable' and 'Signs'. After that, he went through a series of duds with 'Lady In The Water' , 'The Village' , 'The Happening' , 'After Earth' and was termed one of the worst directors of all time with 'The Last Airbender'. But, he made a decent comeback with 2015's 'The Visit' which received generally positive reviews and he's back at his game with 'Split'.

After a birthday party, three girls, led by Casey, are kidnapped by the troubled Kevin, who has a very rare case of 23 split personalities inside him. What follows is how the three girls try to escape from Kevin who himself is lowly having a mental breakdown. Sorry, I can't tell a lot about this movie as a small factor would spoil it.

This movie couldn't have worked without James McAvoy. He has given his best performance in his whole career and stands out as one of the reasons to watch this movie. The cliché points in the movie are watchable just because of his phenomenal performance. His transition from a 'Norman Bates' type woman Patrica to a 9 year old boy Hedwig to other personalities are amazing

Last but not the least, is the traditional "Shyamalan Twist". Trust me, this time your minds will be blown when you come to the conclusion. This twist doesn't match up to the "The Sixth Sense" one but it's a thrilling one. It's not some stupid twist like in "Signs". I won't forget that moment when someone behind me shouted out "WHAAAAT?!".

"Split" isn't scary, it's tense. This movie shouldn't have been given a "horror" tag. A "psychological thriller" sounds better. Nevertheless, this movie is worth a watch. I'm giving a 8/10 with one extra star just for James McAvoy

Welcome back, M.Night Shyamalan
  • Let me start off by saying that I haven't really like Shyamalan's work since "Unbreakable", but I have to admit that this movie made me believe in his vision again. I gave him another chance after hearing so many people raving about this movie, and I'm glad I did. This is an excellently acted, directed and thought out movie. It's intense, funny at some parts, and it is incredibly well thought out. Don't listen to haters just because they don't like Shyamalan's movies. Check it out for yourself and make your own decision.
  • firstly, i have to compare this movie to La La Land, because this is what is considered Oscar material and Oscar performances in 2017. If La La Land was an Oscar movie, this is effin' citizen kane. Loved the bruce willis cameo and that there is a cinematic universe somewhere between all those uneven films. This film delivers. It has an amazing performance and realistic characters in a surreal nearly sci-fi but engaging plot. There is no twist end. Not really. There is a bitter end this time. One that stays with you for a while after the movie ends. There is a desperation where there was once a ray of light in the ending. The film is occasionally funny and aware of it and is not easily categorized. It is a subtle commentary on many many things, violence, abuse, human nature, relationships, sexism, modern society, the potential of a human being, racism, the idiocy of the average people, our traumas, madness, the virtue of patience, existential angst etc It is true that it is a horror movie about a sick person, which may not be politically correct but is a very old and common trope in horror flicks. It is also true that this film turns the trope on its back, presenting us a charming psychopath. He does unspeakable things, but he is not evil, he is beyond morality and he has an ambivalent point of view. The movie doesn't take sides. Murder is not a taboo in this narration, it may be an act of God or some creature close to him. The characters that surround the protagonist are also flawed in many ways and not very likable (with a couple of exceptions). There are obvious (and delightful) references to Psycho and the Rocky Horror Picture Show. One thing is certain. This movie is not for people who always had it easy...
  • When this film made it's first debut I was hesitant on seeing it because I thought M. Night Shyamalan had lost his touch a bit but right when I thought everything was over for M. Night being one of my favorite directors/producers I just up and decided to give him one more chance with "Split" and I'm so glad I did. This was classic M. Night all the way from the twists and the unpredictable story-line to the scares and the edge of your seat thrills. This is just a great horror/thriller played out as a far fetched psychological thriller. It's well written and the plot is laid out perfectly to the end and If you like older M. Night films you will definitely enjoy this one.
  • A welcome return to form for the director and James McEvoy gives one of his finest performances. I am not sure how many actors could achieve what he has executed so well here and one wonders if the film could have worked at the highest level without him. In between some of his bigger studio choices he has chosen challenging or interesting roles no matter how the films turn out and his range and talent always keep surprising but he takes it to another level here.

I won't reveal too much about the film as others will do that, except to say it was a great film to watch in the theater, full of suspense and in some ways quite touching and meaningful, even if you do or don't like the final twists you'll be drawn in to this story and on the edge of your seat in more of a suspense mode.

I wasn't sure if the film would go beyond a typical kidnapping film in the first five minutes but I can assure you its completely different to any expectations you'll have despite the director putting some of his more traditional touches on the film towards the end of it which really work in this case. I've always liked his earlier films as they often look at human conditions or flaws with imagination and some of his films have fallen short but he sounds like he's become more open minded and enjoying his work returning to form so well here and all I can say is well done, he has great attention to detail and gives his all.

This is a great film if you want an original suspense/thriller go and see it. I was sorry to see a review that put this film down, those reviews are off the mark this time round in my opinion I hope there is more to come from the M Night daring to be different again, his lower budget work is outstanding and easily brings out his best storytelling.

James McEvoy you've smashed it here and given you're all it was worth the risk, keep taking them! Having attended the Q&A he comes across a decent humble man which I would think gives his performances such resonance and skill. Also a great performance from Anya Taylor Joy she's a talent as well. Go see the see the film, especially in the threatre on a big screen it will have you on the edge of your seat.
  • MSB Reviews6 August 2017
    Here I am to continue my M. Night Shyamalan series, as I review the movies that are part of his new-founded trilogy: Unbreakable, Split and the yet-to-be-released, Glass. So, Split ... Is it the return to form by Shyamalan?

Once again, Shyamalan's storytelling is very original, unconventional and mind-blowing at the same time. Instead of establishing everything the audience needs to know about the characters right at the beginning, he gradually develops them, giving them haunting backstories and spreading parts of it throughout the runtime.

It's because of that, that I say this film isn't for everyone. The audience needs to trust Shyamalan and be patient. Very patient. Don't start taking notes about something that you THINK it's negative because once you reach the third act, everything changes and suddenly it all makes sense. The screenplay is not as twisty as Unbreakable, for example, but it demands absolute attention in order to catch on all the things that matter (and the ones that don't, as well).

The production and editing team have to be congratulated due to their seamless work. From the camera work to the long one-takes, as well as the environment surrounding the characters, everything feels real and looks amazing. The soundtrack ... Let me just say that this element is so, but so much important to the conclusion of this movie. I can't really say anything else without spoiling the ending, so I'll leave a note after my rating at the end of the review with a MAJOR SPOILER.

As for the cast, I'll start with the man that I honestly think should receive an Oscar nomination: James McAvoy. You know, there's a big difference in portraying a non-fiction character from a fiction one: with the first one, you can't really escape the true nature of the person you are playing, but with a non-fiction character, as an actor/actress, you have to deliver yourself 100% to the role for it to be believable ... And God, does McAvoy deliver! He gives 200% in what could be his best performance to date. Did you think Andy Serkis had problems portraying both Gollum and Sméagol at the same time? Well, imagine 6 ... or 7 characters. I lost the count. All in all, James McAvoy, sir, congratulations! You are superb!

Anya Taylor-Joy is also incredible as Casey! Her character has the most intriguing story of the three girls and she's the one that assumes the leadership of the group once the kidnap happens. Her initially unknown past helps her through the suspenseful situation, but it's really her very captivating backstory that grabbed my attention. It's fundamental to the understanding of the ending and Anya does a terrific job. I also want to give a small praise to Betty Buckley for a beautiful and necessary interpretation of Dr. Fletcher, a character that offers the audience some more knowledge on Kevin's disease.

As for the other two kidnapped girls, well ... They're my main issue with the film since they're there just because. Claire (Haley Lu Richardson) and Marcia (Jessica Sula) aren't the main characters and they don't have that much screen time, but their dialogue still feels very forced and with a lot of nonsense. The ending of the story might not be as twisty as in other Shyamalan's installments and I hope that people don't give up to false expectations. The classic Shyamalan's twisty ending isn't a necessary attribute of his films, but the truth is that the twist ... Is not the one you think it is. Once again, the note at the end of my review will clarify this.

Split is Shyamalan's return to his old early 2000's self. Brilliantly unconventional storytelling, a lot of suspense, some very captivating stories and an incredible editing and production team behind him. The soundtrack plays a huge role in this movie, as well as James McAvoy, who has his career-best performance. Anya Taylor-Joy is also pretty amazing, something that can't be said about her fellow friends that portrayed two bland characters. The ending brings the classic twist that makes everything more understandable and I gotta say ... I love this film and it is one of 2017's best!

As I said above, the soundtrack plays a huge role in the ending twist. That's because the soundtrack that plays right before the title of the film appears on the screen, is the same one as in the third act of Unbreakable.

This is one of the many clues throughout the film that hint at the idea that Split belongs to Unbreakable's universe. Obviously, after the title appears on the screen, there's a scene with David Dunn (Bruce Willis) that confirms this theory, but these are little details that make Shyamalan into a great director.

Also, it's a pity that I've only watched these films after Shyamalan stating that they were part of an eventual trilogy. Not that I was unsurprised at the end of Split, but it did remove that first impact of a pure shock in knowing that two movies separated by 17 years (in real life) are part of the same universe.

Honestly, both movies end up falling into the "superhero" genre. Unbreakable is the story of our "hero" that spent his whole life sad because he wasn't doing "what he was supposed to do" and Split is an origin story of our "villain". If Glass delivers, this might be one of my favorite trilogies ever and one of the best "superhero" trilogies of all-time.

• MSB Reviews - If you like my reviews, please follow my blog :)
  • The only reason to watch this movie is to enjoy the amazing performance by James McAvoy, who is able to effectively and very convincingly portray wildly different characters almost effortlessly with minimal change in physical appearance and entirely through superb acting. One scene in particular has him cycling through three completely different personalities of his character at the drop of a hat, which is quite remarkable.

The twist at the end is so disappointing that it is almost non-existent, those who have not watched the movie Unbreakable won't even understand the twist. At least this movie will keep you entertained and is not as atrociously paced as most of M. Night Shymalan's movies.
  • What a terrific comeback for Shyamalan! Many have been vocal that horror writer-director M. Night Shyamalan has been on a downward spiral after having peaked with Unbreakable, his very own superhero origins film. Split sees the continuation of Shyamalan's tryst with the supernatural but also a long awaited rhetoric that this filmmaker was merely waiting for the right moment to resurface. While his last film - The Visit - was predictable but entertaining, Split underscores his storytelling prowess with the high level of creativity that made him a household name in contemporary horror.

Yet fans will concur that Split isn't just a comeback either, rather a tactical setup of Shyamalan's very own cinematic universe. Put literally, the film is about a person with multiple personalities where each personality speaks collectively in full awareness of the rest. Although main character Kevin is said to exhibit 23 personalities, we see just a handful during most of the film. There's Barry, a New York fashionista, Hedwig, a goofy 9-year-old, and darker personalities Patricia and Dennis. Calling themselves The Horde, the latter two have influenced the abduction of three high school girls as a ritualistic sacrifice for the 24th personality often referred to as "The Beast". The girls have limited time before The Beast is unleashed and although paralysed by fear, their escape depends on protagonist Casey's (Anya Taylor-Joy) proactive deconstruct of the good and evil personalities that reside in Kevin. To her advantage and through revelatory flashbacks, we learn that this wouldn't be the first time Casey would confront a monster.

If Edward Norton's dual personalities was chilling in his debut film Primal Fear, wait till you get a load of James McAvoy in what is simply an outstanding performance of versatility (or should I say two dozen performances in one film?). More than just a demanding role to pull off, McAvoy's broad range in this film has also elevated what could have been a familiar antagonist into a nerve wrecking supervillain. Which is why Shyamalan's so called signature twist ending is almost astounding. To be honest there isn't an actual twist in the story, but the ending is an unexpected but seamless integration into a sort of trilogy that will have most viewers gob smacked. It's an inside joke and almost as if Shyamalan is asking if we have you been watching closely, but also an extremely rewarding Easter egg for every true fan of the man. Welcome back Mr. Shyamalan!
  • Amazing sci-fi and I loved it to a point where I even started asking questions whether it is possible and I have to say great split performance act by James McAvoy (Split, I know) Great film and spectacular directing and the cast was brilliant. 9/10
  • AndreVeasey15 February 2018
    I will start off by saying this film was in no way perfect. There were some instances where I wondered what will this all lead to. Many people I hear who dislike the film is because of the personalities being violent. To be honest, the only personalities that are shown to be somewhat violent is Dennis and The Beast. Dennis doesn't do anything violent either. As seen in this film the personalities were actually funny, kind, and artistic however there were events that lead to some personalities believing it what's known as The Beast. The acting by James McAvoy was excellent. The plot was probably the only thing that was a little confusing. This is a great thriller film with some flaws but its entertaining in which I believe the director did good. I'm not anticipating his next film as I am others but I'm interested in seeing his next film.
    me and my partner both went in really looking forward to seeing this film from the trailer, and we both like james mcavoy as an actor, but this was just terrible, i thought the plot got worse and worse and the acting wasn't great either imo, we don't get out much as we have kids but we both regretted going to see this, i pretty much laughed all the way through at how bad it was and throwing the unbreakable reference in the end, couldn't save this from being a bad film, also one of his personalities was a 9 yr old who acted more like a 4 year old, by all means make your own mind up but don't blame me if you read this warning first.
  • Amarice25 January 2017
    I never have high hopes from M. Night, ever. This is the reason why. Where is the police investigations.. wouldn't one of the personalities turn on the other?? Oh, sure they send e-mails to the doctor..but why not to the local police department ratting one or the other out? I wish I could go negative on the review. Anyone who likes this has taste for complete garbage. Probably enjoyed Windows Me, Vista, 8 and 10 as well. Nice reviews on such utter piles of trash is the reason why we can't get a good movie. They had a birthday party at a mall..where security cameras exist, not only inside the mall but outside as well. Someone 'stalking' another human being would surely turn up on multiple security cameras at some point in time. Oh, right, we aren't suppose to think too much in this. I'm glad I wasn't the one paying for the movie.
  • zardoz-136 February 2017
    If tour-de-force performances alone made great movies, then "Sixth Sense" writer & director M. Night Shyamalan's "Split" would be one of the best. Instead, Shyamalan's twelfth movie qualifies as an unintentionally hilarious, multiple identity disorder, abduction chiller about a colorful fruit loop bristling with more identities than you can count on fingers and toes together. As the traumatized casualty of an abusive mom, woebegone protagonist Kevin Wendel Crumb (James McAvoy) has forged a 'Horde' of personalities to serve as a bulwark against grim reality. Predictable, derivative, and ultimately preposterous, "Split" contains McAvoy's nuanced performance as well as Shyamalan's usual standard-issue surprises. Indeed, McAvoy has a field day chewing the scenery as a wacko with 23 personalities who is gestating number twenty-four. Basically, this charming but deranged psycho abducts three pretty young things from a Philadelphia shopping mall and confines them for his own culinary delight in an underground facility from which escape is virtually impossible. Compared with other movies about split-personality psychos, "Split" does feature a looney tune with a greater number of identities than any other movie. McAvoy's chameleon-like capacity to shift from one identity to another in the flick of an eyelash is as fluid as if he were genuinely conflicted himself. Suffice to say, McAvoy is brilliant, but perhaps not Oscar brilliant. "Split" boils down to a clever, self-conscious one-man show despite the quartet of additional characters involved. Unfortunately, we see only eight of the twenty-three weirdos that McAvoy portrays, but none is either demonic or memorable. Meanwhile, two of those four other characters lack sympathy because they brought this tragedy on themselves by ridiculing the psycho. Shyamalan's surprises occur just where you would expect them, and you won't feel the overwhelming urge to shout "WOW!" because you are so flabbergasted. Meantime, Shyamalan struggles desperately to spawn suspense, but what he achieves remains at best trifling. Sometimes, this half-baked suspense proves aggravating because you realize how futile it is for these doomed characters. On the other hand, unlike most psychos on killing spree saga, "Split" doesn't wallow in gratuitous blood and gore.

Casey Cook (Anya Taylor-Joy of "The Witch") has been forged in a crucible of child abuse, too. A heart attack killed her father (Sebastian Arcelus of "Ted 2") while she was attending elementary school. Sadly, her father's brother, Uncle John (Brad William Henke of "Fury"), has assumed the duties as a guardian for Casey. Without divulging too much, Casey and her stepfather have had an adversial relationship. Now, in high school, Casey prefers to keep to herself whenever possible. Two of her snobbish classmates, Claire (Haley Lu Richardson of "The Edge of Seventeen") and Claire's African-American friend Marcia (Jessica of "Honeytrap"), have invited her to their birthday party more out of mercy rather than friendship. Indeed, they display cynical attitudes about Casey, but they fear the repercussions on social media about what they might have faced had they not invited Casey. When her ride doesn't materialize, Casey agrees to accompany Claire and Marcia and listen to Claire's father (Brian Gildea) who loves to tell terrible jokes. As the saying goes, Hell is a road asphalted with good intentions, and Claire and Marcia have provided the paving that puts Casey in harm's way. Before they can pull out of the parking lot, a stranger, Kevin Wendel Crumb intervenes, dispenses with Claire's dad, and then carjacks them. Slipping on a face mask, he sprays something into their eyes that plunges them into oblivion. Of course, had they not been paralyzed with fear, these girls could have bailed out before Kevin incapacitated them. When they awaken, the girls find themselves locked up in a room with the same tight-lipped stranger staring at them. Eventually, they discover that something is seriously amiss with their captor. Every time Crumb appears, he masquerades as an entirely different fellow, sometimes even as a woman. What the three girls don't know is that Kevin is a patient of a world-renowned psychotherapist, Dr. Karen Fletcher (Betty Buckley of "Frantic"), who has terribly misjudged the threat that he poses to society. Repeatedly, Kevin tells her about 'the beast' and how this messianic personality will shield all twenty-three personalities from scorn and ridicule. When 'the beast' shows up, "Split" turns into a warped Marvel Comics movie because the beast possesses supernatural characteristics. At this point, you want to laugh out loud at this transition from a dreary abduction potboiler to a fantasy epic that happens to be a belated sequel to the Bruce Willis & Samuel L. Jackson thriller "Unbreakable."

Nothing in this review has been designed to spoil "Split" if you decide to see it. You may walk into this superficial saga with greater awareness than you might have, but far be it for me to sabotage the quirky ending that hinges on purity. Before anybody can complain that I hate all Shyamalan's movies, let me say that I admired "The Sixth Sense," "Unbreakable," "Signs," and "Lady in the Water," but I abhorred "The Village," "The Visit," "After Earth," "The Last Airbender," and "The Happening." "Split" belongs to the latter category of travesties. Comparably, as deplorable as it was, "The Visit" surpasses "Split." Nothing about "Split" is more than timidly suspenseful, and the action degenerates into a series of episodic encounters between McAvoy's various personalities and his victims. Casey is the only other truly interesting character aside from the loquacious Dr. Karen Fletcher. The other two girls might as well have been mannequins. They are essentially expendable, and they behave like whiny victims in a movie where whiny victims must perish. The surprise ending came as neither a relief nor a revelation. More often than not, I felt like Shyamalan cheated with some of the narrative twists that contained neither enough credibility nor sufficient spontaneity. Finally, Shyamalan has exploited Dissociative Identity Disorder as a cheap gimmick to conjure up an uninspired Grimm's style fairy tale that stigmatizes the disorder rather than entertains us as a legitimate horror movie.
    Shyamalan again disappoints. Idk if I can even say I have spoilers the movie was so boring me and my girlfriend nodded off several times....this guy shouldn't be allowed to make movies anymore. This was like watching golf without the ball ...his therapist ignores signs of of his erratic behavior for nearly 90 percent of the movie ...the lead girl has flash backs of her creepy rapist uncle in a truly unnecessary and lame sub plot. Why not focus on the main plot or making the audience feel the women are in some real danger. It's teased relentlessly that Macao's character is evolving into the beast but when he becomes the beast literally nothing happens..... the plot is trash and I am done paying to see this guy's. Horrible movies ..just like the happening and so many other movies don't waste your money
    Watching this movie is 2 hours of my life I will never get back - A total waste of time and such a disappointment.

Mind you this is my review so I'm entitled to comment how I perceived it; and I understand & respect others may see it very differently.... here we go, hopefully in brief.

First and foremost I found the continual reference to the child abuse flashbacks irrelevant to the story, unnecessary let alone distasteful. Not to mention the twist from "normal" suspense to "monster incorporated" suspense toward the end just a tad bit ridiculous.

I found the whole movie somewhat drawn out, way beyond achieving the suspense factor which I gather Shyamalan was aiming for, and which I think he failed dismally - it became instead repetitious and boring.

The ending I found totally ridiculous - a zoo?? and God forbid it left the viewer with the knowledge there is to be a sequel, which I will be giving a 'big fat miss'.
  • Nigel P2 February 2017
    Two smartphone distracted girls and their 'weird' friend are kidnapped by an unknown assailant who carries out the action without any emotion whatsoever.

'Barry' is a model employee. He's been ill, but is better now. Doctor Fletcher (Betty Buckley) says this. We learn of 'Barry's' disorder because Fletcher is trying to widen awareness for his condition. The information about what is known as 'DID' is staggered throughout, at length, and her scenes are interspersed with 'Barry' and his other personalities presenting themselves to his three prisoners. One of these is an upper-class woman called 'Patricia', another is an irritant called 'Hedwig', another is a nuisance called 'Dennis' (who likes to watch girls dance naked). In reality, his name is Kevin Wendell Crumb (James McAvoy), and he has 23 personalities.

Despite claims that, for example, if one personality is a weight-lifter he possesses the strength of a weight-lifter whilst other shared personalities do not, McAvey doesn't have the physical presence to portray anyone that couldn't just be over-powered by the three girls – or even just one of them (with a more sustained battering than just hitting him once and then turning their back on him, something that happens more than once). Despite the theatrical rolling eyes, the lisp, the change of clothes, he simply isn't frightening. His endless talking about himself makes it clear that his characters are a lot more interesting to him than to the audience – or at least, this member of it. I can appreciate a committed performance, but sadly he leaves me cold.

Perhaps to balance out Kevin's multiple characteristics, the three girls have only one personality between them. Being the allegedly 'weird' one of the trio, it is Casey (Anya Taylor-Joy, who had been so good in 2015's 'The Witch') to whom 'Dennis' is attracted, because of course weirdness is an elite exclusive club that joins every outsider together, provided you're pretty enough ('the broken are the more evolved,' apparently). Luckily for flesh fans, one of Kevin's personalities suffers from OCD, necessitating the young captives to remove much of their 'dirty' clothing. Another box ticked.

There have been accusations that 'Split' is offensive to sufferers of mental health disorders. In an age where being offended is a competitive sport, presumably any piece of fiction involving death, for instance, is offensive to anyone who has ever suffered bereavement and therefore 'shouldn't be allowed'. This is a point of view that stifles creativity, fiction, drama and/or many levels of art. That is not the problem with 'Split' in my view. It is an idea that is ripe with potential but simply stretched out very thinly over almost two hours with very little incident. In fact, the kidnapping of three girls is the only incident. Endless scenes of talking about 'Barry's' condition isn't entertaining, frightening or effecting. It very quickly becomes dull and stays that way.

Director M. Night Shyamalan had a great success with 'The Sixth Sense' in 1999, especially its twist ending. Subsequently, all his films have ended with a similar surprise, each one less effective than the last. If you make it to the end of this, there is a revelation that (SPOILERS) Kevin's affliction appears to be supernatural. 'The Beast' is physically bulkier than his other personalities, can hop from wall to wall and is impervious to bullets. This ends with a reference to Shyamalan's 'Unbreakable' via a Bruce Willis cameo which pre-supposes you are on familiar terms with that film, which is presumptuous, as this is not billed as a sequel.
    The trailer made this film look quite interesting. However, from the very start, it was hardly captivating at all. The "acting" of the young actresses was atrocious! The girls not fighting back (even when Kevin's personality was a child!) was plain stupid. The flashbacks were forced, oh, and the ending... Why, just why??? The supernatural twist with a bunch of so-called philosophical citations?! Bad, bad, bad, so bad, really, really bad!
    I didn't think it was all that good, its one of those films that gets over hyped and in the end turns out quite mediocre and boring, yes its funny in parts but you won't be rushing to see it again! Personally, I thought the acting was incredible and I loved the character development. What I didn't like was the portrayal of multiple personality disorder. It went from a very interesting story to a mediocre silly ending where he turns into a monster and starts killing people and starts doing supernatural things. That ruined it for me personally. M Night shyamlans direction was horrible towards the end. So far his best film will only be the sixth sense.
    the first 20 minutes was like watching Criminal Minds episode. not it is a bad thing, but if TV series can get you the same excitement, why bother go to cinema ? there is not enough story, not enough mystery, not enough twist, to be told in this movie. if you like to revisit old time feeling when you watched Scream or I Know What You Did Last summer, well, maybe you would enjoy this movie. i definitely don't. if you like split personalities genre, don't get your hope high. Split not even at the same level with Fight Club or even Identity.the things that disturbs me the most is how 'the writer' seems to enjoy half naked teens. one girl needs to take off her shirt, one girl needs to take off her skirt. and you would think they would go a little bit respect with female lead, but nope. save the best for last. she finally took her shirt off so they can save her character (rolling eyes). it is just so stupid and only shows how Hollywood movie and their writers exploit teen sexuality in a very smooth way and nobody seems to realize how sicks these writers are. i mean, it doesn't even contribute to the story line, or any character development (who ? dennis ? what a clever way to explain sexually mental disorder patient, huh). i mean, they could make the girls keep their clothes, and the movie will still be understood like it is. i don't mind with a little bit nudity when it contributes to the story (like in 3096 Days, as disturbing as it is, the girl nudity really give viewers better understanding of the kidnapper and the girl relationship). it's kinda suck for mc avoy, since this must be a very interesting character to be played. and as far as his acting goes, i don't have much complain. but got to be honest, his performance shone away by how bad the story is.
  • Jacqui11 March 2017
    Not too sure why this title was so highly rated. The synopsis really captivated me and I believe the potential of the movie was vast however, Split did not perform up to my expectations. The movie lacks substance and builds towards a supernatural ending of gore and violence.

I like how the theme of abused is being highlighted, yet the movie does very little to build upon it. The possibility of humans having multiple personalities to enhance themselves is a fascinating topic but yet again, the movie did not portray it in a good light.
  • nazgul-1577615 February 2017
    Usually horror movies don't get this high rating unless it is really original so I was very skeptical when I saw this movie has 7.5 ..and I was right !!! .... this movie could have ended in 5 minutes. 3 girls facing an average size unarmed guy with mental illness but they decided to do nothing ... not even a punch or a kick but only crying. The room they were locked in had many things which could have been used as a weapon ... i.e the shower curtain rod, the sink, or even their shoes which one of them used to dig a hole in the ceiling, but of course not... also none of them thought of hiding behind the door and attack him from behind when he opens it. Indian movies usually are long and I guess Mr.Shyamalan could not forget his origins, so he tried his best to extend his 5 mins story to almost 2 hours movie. Save your time and money and go stare at an empty wall which will be more exciting than watching this garbage.
    I'm going to leave a couple of blank lines just in case you didn't see the SPOILER warning...but apparently it doesn't work. First, I'm going to say I don't particularly like horror movies, so if you're a big horror fan, you MAY love this movie. I hate any movie where women act stupid, helpless, slow...you get the idea. Poverty makes a woman intolerant and if you are a strong woman, this movie is going to seem like someone is slowly scratching their nails across a chalkboard. By the end of the movie I was hoping the beast would kill the victim!

The story line is simple. Stupid girl doesn't pay any attention to her surroundings, stupid girl let's guy drug her and her two friends with aerosol, guy shoves 3 stupid girls in a locked room and keeps them there while he goes through his alternate personalities. There are plenty of chances for girls to escape, run away, but then they get all "oooo, I'm a girl, I can't use my brain, I have to be helpless" and they get locked in different rooms.

In the end, multi-personality guy changes into a mutant and kills his shrink and two of the girls. When he gets to the last girl we painfully watch as she just acts idiotic, drops shotgun shells all over, has a chance to kill the beast by shooting him multiple times at his C1 vertebrae, but does she do it? NOOOOO, she just lets him get away. Now there's a mutant killer running around free.

At that point I was hoping a large piece of the ceiling would kill her and put US out of our misery. Instead she continues to act stupid, mousy, like she owes the guy because he didn't kill her. In the end, there's a special cameo that tie's into another M. Night Shyamalan movie. I will never go to another horror movie again.

I know people will say, but it was all about a mental health issue and it was supposed to be complex, etc. My friend wanted to share the joy of the X-Men movies with me as I'd never seen them, so I'd watched all of them in chronological order (including Logan). I also watch Legion on TV, so I'm over the whole multi-personality thing.

Again, if you like horror, maybe you'll like this. If you HATE watching women acting stupid and helpless, stay away from this film. You'll be doing yourself a favor. Buyer beware!
    Wish they had an option for zero votes, as this movie or film if you'd call it that, doesn't deserve the one vote I gave it. So, this guy M. Knight still puts out crap after all these years. Notice I use 'Knight'as I soon expect the Queen of England to be knighting this fellow with some accolades for his contribution film and motion picture innovation.

The opening credits are compelling enough to make one think that there is some hope for film's success; as a lot of work was put into the credits, perhaps more so than the body of the film itself. My hopes were soon dashed after the movie feebly got underway after the bold credit telling us who the director was of this fine piece of nonsense.

I found myself (more or less tortured) thinking that the movie should get better and that I for once could write something nice to say about this movie and director. Maybe the guy could learn from his past work and improve with his latest artistic foray. But unfortunately that wasn't the case. As this so called movie has finally taught me never to view another Sham-o-lame movie.

Oh we, could all say give the guy a break, he's just trying to be artsy- fartsy what have you. But no, it's not even artsy-fartsy. Poor Mr. McAvoy, his talents seem denigrated after this and it could spell doom and career suicide as well after working with M. knight. I'm surprised that IMDb number is at 7.4 of 10. Wow... Stunning revelation to the capacity of integrity of movie enthusiasts.

Yep, they had to bring in Bruce Willis in at the end for some box office draw like some insurance in case the movie severely bombed, which surprisingly it didn't as the box office business indicates $137 million netted from an estimated $9 million production budget. It just means that we'll see some future crap from this guy.

I understand that devout fans of M. Knight may be incensed with my comments but after all, opinions are much like orifices, as everyone is born with one or more. Enlighten me if I've missed something as I've gotten nothing from this film except for an 'itch' around the groin.

A final word of advice, save your money and more so, your time on this one as you will wish you had after self-debasing yourself with this latest attempt of tom foolery.