User Reviews (831)

• A fantastic performance by the film's star, James McAvoy is reason alone to watch this film. Every personality on display is distinct to the other, and he is so interesting to watch. Anya who was breath-taking in The Witch does a fine job here too. This is a film where M. Night Shyamalan reasserts himself as a serious director following a string of poor films. I absolutely cannot wait for the sequel and the conclusion of the Unbreakable series arriving in January. 8.5/10.
  • zlifb13 August 2018
    What a remarkable film! The premise of the film seems quite superficial at first but as the layers are peeled back there's so much more beneath.

It's a horror film without special effects gore, an action flick without any car chases. A high-tension psychological thriller for viewers with active imaginations, who don't need to be spoon-fed every explanation.

The acting is top-notch, the script sympathetic, the cinematography and set fantastic, and the music/sound subtle enough not to be noticed, consciously, while building the tension inexorably. It's gripping, un-turn-away-able.

Seriously impressive. I don't give 10's lightly.
  • This movie will keep you watching waiting for the next character coming out of James McAvoy. He should have won some awards for his performance of a man with many different personalities. James was very convincing in every part he played. The end is great but I don't want to give anything away so I won't comment on that at all. Well written and the actors were perfect. Watch it today, just don't make the mistake of downloading a different movie called Split about bowling. I did that and that is one of the worst movies I ever saw!
  • I was surprised to see that this movie was released last year (as I'm writing this) and I didn't heard about it, taking in consideration how promising the plot is.

Split is about three girls get kidnapped by a man with dissociative identity disorder (DID) that has 23 personalities. I have to say that this movie does not represent what DID really is and how people who struggle with it are, mainly because this movie gets a bit too fantastical sometimes. It doesn't try to be strictly realistic though, so it's an awesome thriller anyway.

The movie gives you chills since the very start with an awesome acting by James McAvoy and some seriously good still scenes. The overall scenes make you have a weird feeling, something it succeeds to transfer to the viewer that you probably won't be able to describe. That makes this thriller stand out in a good way.

Maybe Split makes a unrealistic representation of dissociative identity disorder, and that can be a big turnoff, but this is a great movie nonetheless.
  • M.Night Shyamalan is one of those filmmakers that you either love or hate, and I definitely love his work. However, I stopped watching him after the Happening, (which was really quite a terrible movie. No comment on The Last Airbender).

This is such a wonderful comeback. His ability to totally freak you out without being terrifying; to keep you fascinated, yet completely confused, it's all just so much fun! Not sure how his films can be so slow yet so gripping and FUN!

This one is bang on. The cinematography is wonderful, the story is intense and gripping. Not to mention that James Macavoy is bang on (what a great performance, love Joaquin Phoenix, but not sure he would have been quite so awesomely intense as Macavoy was).

I highly recommend this film to any thriller lovers and a must for any M.Night lovers (but I don't need to say that at this point now, do I). I agree it's not a horror film but it does very get under your skin. (If you found The Ring too much, don't watch this!)

However, if you loved The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable, this is a must see!!

Can't wait to see Glass.
    Shyamalan had his debut with the critically acclaimed 'The Sixth Sense' followed by positively reviewed movies 'Unbreakable' and 'Signs'. After that, he went through a series of duds with 'Lady In The Water' , 'The Village' , 'The Happening' , 'After Earth' and was termed one of the worst directors of all time with 'The Last Airbender'. But, he made a decent comeback with 2015's 'The Visit' which received generally positive reviews and he's back at his game with 'Split'.

After a birthday party, three girls, led by Casey, are kidnapped by the troubled Kevin, who has a very rare case of 23 split personalities inside him. What follows is how the three girls try to escape from Kevin who himself is lowly having a mental breakdown. Sorry, I can't tell a lot about this movie as a small factor would spoil it.

This movie couldn't have worked without James McAvoy. He has given his best performance in his whole career and stands out as one of the reasons to watch this movie. The cliché points in the movie are watchable just because of his phenomenal performance. His transition from a 'Norman Bates' type woman Patrica to a 9 year old boy Hedwig to other personalities are amazing

Last but not the least, is the traditional "Shyamalan Twist". Trust me, this time your minds will be blown when you come to the conclusion. This twist doesn't match up to the "The Sixth Sense" one but it's a thrilling one. It's not some stupid twist like in "Signs". I won't forget that moment when someone behind me shouted out "WHAAAAT?!".

"Split" isn't scary, it's tense. This movie shouldn't have been given a "horror" tag. A "psychological thriller" sounds better. Nevertheless, this movie is worth a watch. I'm giving a 8/10 with one extra star just for James McAvoy

Welcome back, M.Night Shyamalan
  • After watching this movie, I have to say, I don't understand all the one and two star reviews. This is a return to form for the director of the excellent SIXTH SENSE and UNBREAKABLE. I haven't enjoyed most of his output since those first two films, but only titles like his misguided LAST AIRBENDER and the truly terrible THE HAPPENING are deserving of such low marks. I've seen a few real one star movies, and SPLIT isn't one of them. It's definitely worthy of higher marks. I can only assume those who didn't like it are trying to lower the average rather than rank it realistically somewhere closer to 4 or 5 stars (although I'd rank it higher).

It's a lot of fun. James MacAvoy is great in a subgenre that is normally pretty insipid (ie dissociative identity disorder movies). He deliveres a great performance that really helps to carry this film, and Betty Buckley also gives a notably outstanding performance in her supporting role.

Is it as good as THE SIXTH SENSE? No. Is it worth seeing? Absolutely. I'd happily see it again.

As for those reviewers who are upset that movies like this distort the public perceptions about mental illness, I can only assume they are too close to that subject to be truly objective.
  • Let me start off by saying that I haven't really like Shyamalan's work since "Unbreakable", but I have to admit that this movie made me believe in his vision again. I gave him another chance after hearing so many people raving about this movie, and I'm glad I did. This is an excellently acted, directed and thought out movie. It's intense, funny at some parts, and it is incredibly well thought out. Don't listen to haters just because they don't like Shyamalan's movies. Check it out for yourself and make your own decision.
  • firstly, i have to compare this movie to La La Land, because this is what is considered Oscar material and Oscar performances in 2017. If La La Land was an Oscar movie, this is effin' citizen kane. Loved the bruce willis cameo and that there is a cinematic universe somewhere between all those uneven films. This film delivers. It has an amazing performance and realistic characters in a surreal nearly sci-fi but engaging plot. There is no twist end. Not really. There is a bitter end this time. One that stays with you for a while after the movie ends. There is a desperation where there was once a ray of light in the ending. The film is occasionally funny and aware of it and is not easily categorized. It is a subtle commentary on many many things, violence, abuse, human nature, relationships, sexism, modern society, the potential of a human being, racism, the idiocy of the average people, our traumas, madness, the virtue of patience, existential angst etc It is true that it is a horror movie about a sick person, which may not be politically correct but is a very old and common trope in horror flicks. It is also true that this film turns the trope on its back, presenting us a charming psychopath. He does unspeakable things, but he is not evil, he is beyond morality and he has an ambivalent point of view. The movie doesn't take sides. Murder is not a taboo in this narration, it may be an act of God or some creature close to him. The characters that surround the protagonist are also flawed in many ways and not very likable (with a couple of exceptions). There are obvious (and delightful) references to Psycho and the Rocky Horror Picture Show. One thing is certain. This movie is not for people who always had it easy...
  • A welcome return to form for the director and James McEvoy gives one of his finest performances. I am not sure how many actors could achieve what he has executed so well here and one wonders if the film could have worked at the highest level without him. In between some of his bigger studio choices he has chosen challenging or interesting roles no matter how the films turn out and his range and talent always keep surprising but he takes it to another level here.

I won't reveal too much about the film as others will do that, except to say it was a great film to watch in the theater, full of suspense and in some ways quite touching and meaningful, even if you do or don't like the final twists you'll be drawn in to this story and on the edge of your seat in more of a suspense mode.

I wasn't sure if the film would go beyond a typical kidnapping film in the first five minutes but I can assure you its completely different to any expectations you'll have despite the director putting some of his more traditional touches on the film towards the end of it which really work in this case. I've always liked his earlier films as they often look at human conditions or flaws with imagination and some of his films have fallen short but he sounds like he's become more open minded and enjoying his work returning to form so well here and all I can say is well done, he has great attention to detail and gives his all.

This is a great film if you want an original suspense/thriller go and see it. I was sorry to see a review that put this film down, those reviews are off the mark this time round in my opinion I hope there is more to come from the M Night daring to be different again, his lower budget work is outstanding and easily brings out his best storytelling.

James McEvoy you've smashed it here and given you're all it was worth the risk, keep taking them! Having attended the Q&A he comes across a decent humble man which I would think gives his performances such resonance and skill. Also a great performance from Anya Taylor Joy she's a talent as well. Go see the see the film, especially in the threatre on a big screen it will have you on the edge of your seat.
  • AndreVeasey15 February 2018
    I will start off by saying this film was in no way perfect. There were some instances where I wondered what will this all lead to. Many people I hear who dislike the film is because of the personalities being violent. To be honest, the only personalities that are shown to be somewhat violent is Dennis and The Beast. Dennis doesn't do anything violent either. As seen in this film the personalities were actually funny, kind, and artistic however there were events that lead to some personalities believing it what's known as The Beast. The acting by James McAvoy was excellent. The plot was probably the only thing that was a little confusing. This is a great thriller film with some flaws but its entertaining in which I believe the director did good. I'm not anticipating his next film as I am others but I'm interested in seeing his next film.
    There are some director's whose name alone brings forth images of the films they have made. If you hear Hitchcock you know a slow paced thriller is on the way. Spielberg? Normally a family styled big budget adventure. And when you hear M. Night Shyamalan you expect something different. Not always the same but unlike most movies you will see. That holds true with his latest release SPLIT.

As the film opens three young girls are kidnapped with no clue who is behind it or where they've been taken. Rather than a simple hostage movie we're seeing something different. The girls find their kidnapper to be stern and unwilling to give into their pleas for help. But then they see him again. Except that it's not quite him.

This is when we learn that the kidnapper, Kevin (James McAvoy) is suffering from dissociative identity disorder or what most people would call multiple personalities. When he shows up to the rooms they're being held in wearing a dress and telling them his name is Patricia the girls have no idea what to think. Casey (Anya Taylor-Joy), the outsider of the trio, insists that they bide their time to figure a way out. The other two girls are more impulsive and act without thinking things through.

When they meet "Hedwig" Casey thinks she may have found someone who can help her. She spends time gaining his trust and learning more about what is going on. He tells her about "The Beast" and warns that he is coming. When she later asks the "others" about "The Beast" she is rebuffed but learns just a little more with each conversation.

Do the girls escape as the film moves forward? I'd rather not say and allow the story to surprise and unravel for each of you. But the movie does move on with more information gathered in various ways. One of those is the discussions between Kevin and his psychiatrist Dr. Karen Fletcher (Betty Buckley). Fletcher has been treating Kevin for some time now and is becoming slightly alarmed via various signs that something has changed.

Fletcher doesn't just spend time with Kevin though. While he insist that he is in control she convinces him to allow some of the "others" to talk to her. At different visits the multiple people within Kevin's mind are allowed to talk to her and discuss things with her. Each of them provides her with a greater sense of dread that something is happening.

Back at the house where the girls are being kept, Casey continues to work her way into the good graces of Hedwig. As the bond between the two of them builds the slightest glimpse of hope appears that perhaps the girls will make it out after all. With no demands made to their parents just why they were kidnapped to begin with comes into question. And when the answer presents itself the level of tension and fear reaches fever pitch. Is there really a "Beast" or is that just something in the mind of Kevin.

For me Shyamalan has been a hit and miss director. While I've never hated any of his films there have been a few that I felt had fallen a little short of the potential he showed in others. With SPLIT he returns to my good graces with a movie that draws you in, takes it's time to unfold and tells a story unlike any other. In a world of remakes that earns points with me. He definitely gives us something new here.

The acting is amazing to watch here. While the entire cast does a fantastic job it is McAvoy who takes center stage and steals the show. It's one thing for an actor to portray a character in a movie. But to create several and have them all well thought out and well done characters? That's something worth paying attention to. The only problem would be trying to figure out which character would be the one receiving an Oscar nomination if it came to that.

I noted remakes but what about sequels you might ask. SPOILER ALERT. This film is indeed a sequel but not so much that you would recognize it as such. We've never been exposed to these characters, never seen this world as far as we know and have no inkling that it ties into anything else. That is until the film is just about to hit the credits. At that time we see people talking in a diner and the camera pans down to reveal Bruce Willis sitting there listening to a conversation where someone is trying to recall the name of a terrorist who was in a wheelchair. He tells them the name was Mr. Glass. The name and his presence is a reference to Shyamalan's film UNBREAKABLE. And yes, this film ties into that. As will his next film, one he announced will complete a trilogy bringing all three films together. As a fan of that film I can't wait.

Until then I'll be content to watch this movie. And probably more than once. It's one of those films that once you know the end you want to watch again to see what else you can pick up as the story unwinds. That makes it a movie worth not just watching but adding to the collection.
  • msbreviews6 August 2017
    If you enjoy reading my Spoiler-Free reviews, please follow my blog :)

James McAvoy plays Kevin, a man with a genetic disease which allows him to have multiple personalities. His trusted psychiatrist, Dr. Karen Fletcher (Betty Buckley), knows 23 of them, but there's one hidden from everyone who desires to dominate over all the others. Compelled by one of his personalities, Kevin abducts three girls, where Casey Cooke (Anya Taylor-Joy) becomes their leader to try and escape the "crazy" man.

Is this the return to form by M. Night Shyamalan, who has been struggling for more than a decade to release a major success? Is Split the movie that brings him back to the spotlight?

Once again, Shyamalan's storytelling is very original, unconventional and ultimately mind-blowing. Instead of establishing everything the audience needs to know about the characters right at the beginning, he gradually develops them, giving them haunting backstories and spreading parts of it throughout the runtime. That said, this film isn't for everyone. The audience needs to trust Shyamalan and be patient. Really patient. Don't start taking notes about something that you think it's negative because once you reach the third act, everything changes and suddenly it all makes sense. The screenplay is not as twisty as Unbreakable, for example, but it demands absolute attention in order to catch up on all the things that matter (and the ones that don't, as well).

The production and editing team have to be congratulated due to their seamless work. From the camera work to the extended one-take sequences, as well as the environment surrounding the characters, everything feels real and looks amazing. The soundtrack ... Let me just say that this element is so, but so much relevant to the conclusion of this movie. I can't really say anything else without spoiling the ending, so I'll leave a note after my rating at the end of the review with a MAJOR SPOILER.

As for the cast, I'll start with the man that I honestly think should have received an Oscar nomination: James McAvoy. You know, there's a big difference in portraying a non-fiction character instead of a fiction one: concerning the former, you can't really escape the true nature of the person you are playing, but with the latter, as an actor/actress, you have to deliver yourself 100% to the role for it to be believable ... And God, does McAvoy deliver! He gives 200% in what could be his best performance to date. Do you think Andy Serkis had problems portraying both Gollum and Sméagol at the same time? Well, imagine 7 ... or 8 characters. I lost the count. All in all, James McAvoy, sir, congratulations! You are superb!

Anya Taylor-Joy is also incredible as Casey! Her character has the most intriguing story of the three girls, and she's the one who assumes the leadership of the group once the kidnap occurs. Her initially unknown past helps her through the traumatic situation, but it's really her rather captivating backstory that grabbed my attention. It's fundamental to the understanding of the ending and Anya does a terrific job. I also want to give a small praise to Betty Buckley for a beautiful and necessary interpretation of Dr. Fletcher, a character that offers the audience some knowledge of Kevin's disease.

As for the other two kidnapped girls, well ... They're my main issue with the film since they don't have a good reason to be there. Claire (Haley Lu Richardson) and Marcia (Jessica Sula) aren't the main characters, and they don't have that much screen time, but their dialogue still feels extremely forced and filled with a lot of nonsense. The ending of the story might not be as twisty as in other Shyamalan's installments, but I hope that people don't give up to false expectations. The classic Shyamalan's twisty ending isn't a necessary attribute of his movies, but the truth is that the twist is not the one you think it is. Once again, the note at the end of my review will clarify this.

In the end, Split is Shyamalan's return to his old early 2000's self. Brilliantly unconventional storytelling, a lot of suspense, some very captivating subplots and a fantastic editing and production team behind him. The soundtrack plays a huge role in this film, as well as James McAvoy, who delivers his career-best performance. Anya Taylor-Joy is also pretty extraordinary, something that can't be said about her fellow friends who portrayed two bland characters. The ending brings the classic twist that makes everything more understandable, and I gotta say ... I love this film, and it is one of 2017's best!

MAJOR SPOILER BELOW

As I said above, the soundtrack plays a huge role in the ending twist. That's because the soundtrack that plays right before the title of the movie appears on the screen, is the same one as in the third act of Unbreakable.

This is one of the many clues throughout the film that hint at the idea that Split belongs to Unbreakable's universe. Naturally, after the title shows up, there's a scene with David Dunn (Bruce Willis) that confirms this theory, but these are little details that make Shyamalan into a great director and screenwriter. Also, it's a pity that I've only watched these movies after Shyamalan stating that they were part of an eventual trilogy. Not that I was not surprised at the end of Split, but it did remove that first impact of pure shock in knowing that two films separated by 17 years (in real life) are part of the same universe.

Both movies end up falling into the "superhero" genre. Unbreakable is the story of our "hero" who spent his whole life sad because he wasn't doing "what he was supposed to do", and Split is an origin story of our "villain". If Glass delivers, this might be one of the best "superhero" trilogies ever.
  • When this film made it's first debut I was hesitant on seeing it because I thought M. Night Shyamalan had lost his touch a bit but right when I thought everything was over for M. Night being one of my favorite directors/producers I just up and decided to give him one more chance with "Split" and I'm so glad I did. This was classic M. Night all the way from the twists and the unpredictable story-line to the scares and the edge of your seat thrills. This is just a great horror/thriller played out as a far fetched psychological thriller. It's well written and the plot is laid out perfectly to the end and If you like older M. Night films you will definitely enjoy this one.
  • What a terrific comeback for Shyamalan! Many have been vocal that horror writer-director M. Night Shyamalan has been on a downward spiral after having peaked with Unbreakable, his very own superhero origins film. Split sees the continuation of Shyamalan's tryst with the supernatural but also a long awaited rhetoric that this filmmaker was merely waiting for the right moment to resurface. While his last film - The Visit - was predictable but entertaining, Split underscores his storytelling prowess with the high level of creativity that made him a household name in contemporary horror.

Yet fans will concur that Split isn't just a comeback either, rather a tactical setup of Shyamalan's very own cinematic universe. Put literally, the film is about a person with multiple personalities where each personality speaks collectively in full awareness of the rest. Although main character Kevin is said to exhibit 23 personalities, we see just a handful during most of the film. There's Barry, a New York fashionista, Hedwig, a goofy 9-year-old, and darker personalities Patricia and Dennis. Calling themselves The Horde, the latter two have influenced the abduction of three high school girls as a ritualistic sacrifice for the 24th personality often referred to as "The Beast". The girls have limited time before The Beast is unleashed and although paralysed by fear, their escape depends on protagonist Casey's (Anya Taylor-Joy) proactive deconstruct of the good and evil personalities that reside in Kevin. To her advantage and through revelatory flashbacks, we learn that this wouldn't be the first time Casey would confront a monster.

If Edward Norton's dual personalities was chilling in his debut film Primal Fear, wait till you get a load of James McAvoy in what is simply an outstanding performance of versatility (or should I say two dozen performances in one film?). More than just a demanding role to pull off, McAvoy's broad range in this film has also elevated what could have been a familiar antagonist into a nerve wrecking supervillain. Which is why Shyamalan's so called signature twist ending is almost astounding. To be honest there isn't an actual twist in the story, but the ending is an unexpected but seamless integration into a sort of trilogy that will have most viewers gob smacked. It's an inside joke and almost as if Shyamalan is asking if we have you been watching closely, but also an extremely rewarding Easter egg for every true fan of the man. Welcome back Mr. Shyamalan!
  • Ahhhhhh I am so disappointed with this! I really wanted to love it, it ticks all the right boxes for a decent thriller. Yet somehow Shyamalan missed the mark. It's not bad, in fact it's crafted intricately...just not great. A man with 23 different personalities abducts three young girls as he prepares to unleash the 24th personality that dominates the others. This is extremely difficult to review. For every positive outcome there is a negative to counteract it. For example: Kevin's internal survival against the other personalities was an intriguing and compelling concept. However, the enthralling psychological analysis was negated by the stupidity of this whole 24th personality that is able to physically change Kevin. A thought provoking theme is decimated by an unrealistic concept in an attempt to be dramatic. It didn't need to be! The first act was going so well with interesting ideas that Shyamalan clearly has an interest in. His focus on this multiple personality disorder shows in the film. Patient and psychologist conversations take place that explains Kevin's fractured mind. Then it constantly shifts to the thriller aspect where these three young girls are trying to escape from a sinister location. It's not exciting. At all. These girls aren't put in any real danger or hardly attempt to flee so what's the point? They just exist for the finale which as a result makes the film absurdly boring. These girls are lifeless. Except Taylor-Joy's character who actually has some decent backstory, told through flashbacks. Split is a tool for James McAvoy to showcase multiple fantastic performances. Genuinely creepy and unnerving. His ability to automatically switch characters was faultless and found him to be highly enjoyable. Also like the final scene which harks back to a certain film which I shall not name. I look forward to future prospects. But in the end, Split was a failed attempt at a thriller but an intriguing psychological drama. It's unfortunate the two just didn't blend for me.
    The only reason to watch this movie is to enjoy the amazing performance by James McAvoy, who is able to effectively and very convincingly portray wildly different characters almost effortlessly with minimal change in physical appearance and entirely through superb acting. One scene in particular has him cycling through three completely different personalities of his character at the drop of a hat, which is quite remarkable.

The twist at the end is so disappointing that it is almost non-existent, those who have not watched the movie Unbreakable won't even understand the twist. At least this movie will keep you entertained and is not as atrociously paced as most of M. Night Shymalan's movies.
  • Wow, this is my first review on IMDB. Let's start off with the movie that got me interested into film, and that movie is Split. I remember being 13 years old, sitting on my couch a few nights before halloween. I wanted to watch a horror film, so I browsed on the "Free Movies" section on Xfinity Demand. I scrolled down the page, and my eyes everted to Split. I read the plot synopsis, and I really liked the concept and watching the film for the first time was one of the best movie watching experiences I've ever had. I was glued to my seat the whole time watching the film and it genuinely scared me. I noticed how the movie builds suspense and I also paid attention to the interesting camera angles the cinematographer chose to shot. After watching the film, I was excited to watch more M. Night Shyamalan films, and that eventually built my love for film. James Mcavoy in this film has an oscar worthy performance, playing 23 different personalities. Anya Taylor Joy also had a very good performance in this film and she played a very interesting character. The techniques for building and showing suspense was masterful in this movie, and the cinematography in this film was golden. The story in this film was also very investing, and its twist and turns are very fun. At first I didn't understand the twist ending, but after browsing the internet, I found out it involved a character from Unbreakable, and watching that movie was also a treat. I'm 14 years old right now, and my passion for film will live on! Split is one of my favorite films of all time and it is a film I will always love.
    M. Night Shyamalan has had an interesting career, he went from being the next Spielberg to one of the worst directors of all time and now it looks like maybe just maybe he might be having a comeback because Split was fantastic. This film had a creepy tone that will stick with you long after your done watching it and showcases the talent of the highly underrated actor, James McAvoy. McAvoy gives the best performance of his career as a high strung man, a conservative woman, an innocent child, a terrifying beast, and over a dozen other personalities some of whom we get a brief glance at. Anya Taylor-Joy also did a nice job as playing the smart and brave victim, even though this is without a doubt McAvoy's movie its worth noting that Taylor-Joy did an impressive job here. The other two girls in this movie are your typical screaming victims but it's not really problem because they aren't in the film too much, the focus stays on Taylor-Joy and McAvoy like it should. This movie just gets better as you approach the end, it's important to point out however that towards the end you might be thinking "this makes no sense" but if you stick with it to the very end you will be rewarded for efforts. The ending of this movie may just be one of the greatest twists in cinema because it does something I've never seen a twist ending do, it changed the genre of the movie I was watching. I thought I was watching a thriller but it turns out I was watching something else. If your a fan of Shyamalan, thrillers, or just very interesting movies you'll have a great time watching this. Definitely worth checking out.
  • 12 years back at Sreekumar theatre Trivandrum , I was going berserk over Chiyaan Vikram's multiple personality magnum opus Anniyan - and all of a sudden James McAvoy has outweighed that very specific standard of enactment with his once in a life time role in Split. Manoj Nelliate Shyamalan, that Indian prodigy who made sixth sense and sunk into oblivion with a chain of duds subsequently has made a magnificent riposte! Split sees the prolongation of Shyamalan's assignation with the supernatural but also a long anticipated rhetoric that this filmmaker was merely waiting for the right moment to rematerialize. The film deals majorly with a person sustaining 23 different personalities within himself of which a 24th one is about to surface. Resting heavily on the lead actor who has done a magnificent job, the screenplay sways between his distinctive dispositions, transitioning from an OCD patient to a psycho woman and to a 9 year old boy, amongst 18 other manifestations. 3 girls are abducted by one of these personas and made to wait for the appearance of the last one before they should try and escape him. Living up to his expectations, Shyamalan has created a proficiently hewed psychological thriller which is darkly amusing. Very much commended for an exhilarating watch..
  • Shyamalan's inconsistencies as a director are decidedly ignominious. He spellbound us with The Sixth Sense, but soon after befuddled with lady in the Water, provoked derisive jeers with The Happening, and merely bored us with The Last Airbender and After Earth. The pared back horror of The Visit signalled a renaissance for the auteur, with its genuinely frightening aesthetic, and even a decent Shyamalan twist! But, armed with what seems to be a more significant budget, and far more loopy creative ambition, Split is Shyamalan's true calling card to what hopefully is a far more fortuitous run of features. Using the disorder of DID, and a true story (!), to create its bonkers premise, McAvoy plays Kevin, a man who possesses 23 distinct personalities, some of which are male and some of which are female, some of which are young, and some of which are old, some of which are homosexual and some of which are heterosexual, some of which have OCD or require insulin for diabetes, and some of which are really rather volatile and dangerous. The catch? The 24th is about to arrive, with all hell set to break loose. If this sounds like an actor's dream job, you're right. With the opportunity to flex his acting muscles to the nth degree, all-accent-changing, mannerism-altering McAvoy rises to the challenge with a performance of breathtaking versatility. The film around him is never quite as reliable as this towering performance, however. The plot functions between an incredibly tense kidnapping/hostage situation and a doctor who purports to be an expert of DID. While eventually serving a narrative purpose, in the early scenes, Shyamalan's switching to this doctor's narrative grinds the movie to something of a halt, leaving you longing for the far more interesting story to develop and ultimately resolve. That being said, the movie never bores for a second, thanks to Shyamalan's distinctive style and an ominous score, as well as Anya Taylor Joy, so impressive in The Witch, who proves she isn't a one trick pony. In addition, like THe Visit, Split is, unexpectedly, quite funny, in a way that never sacrifices tension, but rather serves to enhance it by catching you off guard with scares when you're recovering from a bizarre joke - it's a terrific tactic that serves the film well. Most worthy of recommendation is the film's third act, which evolves into something genuinely terrifying and ferociously tense, as twist upon twist piles up to create a thrilling sense of chaos and dread. Less convincing are Shyamalan's repeated attempts at motifs of beasts and animals, which feel shoehorned in and unnecessary. Despite al this, Split is a worthy work from Shyamalan that will deliver a jolt of high octane thrills to your nerves, one which will certainly be needed in the doldrums of the January dumping ground of films.
  • James McAvoy Has acted excellently in this film in all of his characters.This is one of the best movies I have ever seen. Once again James McAvoy has performed brillantly.
  • vengatesh-7458716 October 2018
    First of all, Welcome Back Mr. M. Night Shyamalan, you still got it. Let me make it short, James McAvoy's best role yet....He knocked it out of the park, you'll know what i mean when you see the movie. Casting is great, especially the performances of Anya Taylor-Joy as Casey Cooke & Betty Buckley as Dr. Karen Fletcher are remarkable....West Dylan Thordson score gets extra marks...Great Psychological Horror-Thriller with a powerhouse performance by James McAvoy under the brilliant direction by M. Night Shyamalan, Ofcourse with a twist-ending...Can't wait to see Glass BTW.
  • Just like "The Visit" a year earlier, Shyamalan's new movie "Split" offers a great mixture of psychological suspense, horror elements and an emotional drama with a lot of depth. The great story line, the tense atmosphere and the stunning acting pardon for the lack of a real twist as we usually get from Shyamalan.

The story is quickly told. A man diagnosed with twenty-three different personalities kidnaps three teenage girls and keeps them in an abandoned basement. The girls quickly realize that they can manipulate some of the split personalities while others are very hostile to them. It becomes obvious that the twenty-three personalities prepare for the emergence of a twenty-fourth personality called the beast that plans to feast on the teenagers' impure bodies. The three girls must find a strategy to escape before their lives will be in danger. At the same time, the psychologist of the man with the numerous personalities realizes that something seems to be wrong with her patient during their therapy sessions. Will the girls manage to escape and the psychologist find out the truth before it's too late?

The movie develops a quite diversified pace right from the start. The teenagers get kidnapped within the first five minutes of the movie and have to face one of the more aggressive personalities right from the start. The movie then slows down and presents us seven of the twenty-three different personalities. The film also gives us background information thanks to therapy sessions with the perpetrator and his psychologist as well as flashbacks of one of the girls that will become more and more important throughout the movie. The last quarter of the film quickens up the pace and leads to a furious showdown and an interesting reference. If compared to Shyamalan's last movie, some questions are though left unanswered and indicate a potential sequel to this movie. The restricted space in the basement, the calm and precise camera work, the gloomy light effects and the sinister soundtrack progressively increase the uneasy atmosphere of the movie.

James McAvoy has the challenging task to portray eight different personalities all at once and his acting performance alone elevates this movie to a very high level. He is credible in all of his roles and convinces as unpredictable patient that is both perpetrator and victim at the same time. This unprecedented acting performance should be honoured with a nomination for an Academy Award for Best Actor in a Leading Role next year. The main actress incarnated by the talented Anya Taylor-Joy is almost as perfect as her character develops a fascinating chemistry with the perpetrator. Initially, she seems to be a shy outcast but turns out to be a clever and empathic young moment who will fight relentlessly for her survival. She's the tragic heroine of this movie and empathic viewers will definitely care about her fate. She would also deserve a nomination for an Academy Award for Best Actress in a Leading Role next year. Among the secondary characters, Betty Buckley convinces in her role as open-minded psychologist who is walking a thin line between tolerance and insistence to uncover her patient's gloomy secret. I think she would deserve a nomination for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress next year. Overall, the cast is really convincing and easily the best in the psychological horror genre since Martin Scorsese's "Shutter Island".

The only reason why this movie didn't get all ten points are a few minor lengths in the story telling during the first half of the film and the fact that the movie didn't come around with a stunning twist in the key of many of Shyamalan's previous works.

Still, "Split" is an extraordinary psychological thriller with an intense plot, an uneasy atmosphere and absolutely outstanding acting. Genre fans might even have their best movie of the year right here. Even those who like to criticize Shyamalan should admit that "Split" is a success and one of the best movies in his career. This film should definitely be rewarded with awards and is one of the few Hollywood movies that actually deserves all the attention it gets.
  • missjacquil11 March 2017
    Not too sure why this title was so highly rated. The synopsis really captivated me and I believe the potential of the movie was vast however, Split did not perform up to my expectations. The movie lacks substance and builds towards a supernatural ending of gore and violence.

I like how the theme of abused is being highlighted, yet the movie does very little to build upon it. The possibility of humans having multiple personalities to enhance themselves is a fascinating topic but yet again, the movie did not portray it in a good light.