User Reviews (212)

• matthewnezat22 July 2017
    Nerve wrecking thriller worth the watch
    This series is a home run for Netflix. Its a gripping series with superb casting for every character. It is an edge of your seat thriller that grips the audience from the very start. Throughout each episode you are helplessly wondering how Jason Bateman's character will pull through. The writers of the show are spot on with every twist. I highly recommend giving this series a chance and i can't wait for season 2 to come out. From the first episode to the last it is a brilliant masterpiece that deserves better reviews than other people have given. %100 one of the best new series of the year.
  • Sean Donovan23 July 2017
    Netflix scores again with Ozark
    To say this series is intense would be an understatement. Be warned: Ozark is not family friendly as it has a multitude of graphic violence, nudity, mature language and sexual themes. Not for children. I am not a big fan of contemporary dramas, but it was Jason Bateman's outstanding performance in The Gift that led me to check out Ozark. And his character Marty Byrde delivers the same smug arrogance as a finance adviser turned greedy money launderer whose circumstances hurdles the patriarch into survival mode, which is tested repeatedly. Laura Linney is brilliant as his unfaithful/neglected wife Wendy Byrde who proves she is as much as an urbane grifter as her husband. Everyone in the cast delivered superb performances. The drama-charged first episode managed to pull me into the entire series and although some of the plot seems downright incredible (disbelief) I was captivated until the end. Look forward to a second season.
  • Danny21 July 2017
    A tense,tight and consistently entertaining thriller
    Ozark is pretty much what you'd expect it to be. Its a pretty tense what-is-he-going-to-do-now type of storytelling that makes it easy to binge-watch.It also holds your attention as Jason Bateman plays a similar kind of character as the likable anti-hero keeps falling in trouble.Similar to breaking bad but also quite different.
  • ggarfole23 July 2017
    Fantastic, gripping new series!
    I finished bingeing on this show over the last 2 days. All I can say is, "WOW"! The characters are all interesting and intense as usual from this Netflix release. Again, comparing this series to Breaking Bad is somewhat justified, but with a Bloodline, Gone Girl, kind of feel to it.

The cinematography is amazing (Although, according to filming location info- very little is actually filmed in the Ozarks) I did notice the Bagnell Dam bridge sign is the current one (My family vacations there, having most recently been there in summer of 2016)

This show is a definite nail-bitter and you never know how the larger-than-life troubles will get resolved, but somehow, Bateman's character, Marty , is the man with the plan. If you like crime thrillers, this is one of the best I've seen in years!

Can't wait for Season 2 (and 3,4,5,6, etc...)
  • fredgfinklemeyer22 July 2017
    Exceptional series that needs to continue for years to come
    07/23/2017 I will finish the last episodes today or tomorrow? I was unsold the first 1/2 hour in due to the overused story line of Mr. Big Time Drug Supplier goes on a killing spree and then dictates the future of a family to the father. Didn't seem real, but after I started it back up again, everything came together. Even though it's fiction, the perception of reality, the ease of real life dialog, the gripping story line is lifelike. Very easy to immerse the viewer into completely. I would rate this series with Breaking Bad, The Sons of Anarchy or The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series of 3. It's truly great and the only negative thing that I might offer is that it's all over to quickly, to short/to little for those of us who really love escape entertainment. I've easily watched 100+ movies online since the beginning of 2017, this is my first and only review. You'll love it, I guarantee. Bon Appetit
  • dennis-hinkamp30 January 2018
    Interesting unlikeable characters
    I'm from Missouri so I had to watch, you know, my people. It reminds me more of Banshee than Breaking Bad because there is no moral compass. Everyone has an evil side but you choose who to root as lesser of two or three or four evils. Characters die violent deaths over almost nothing. It is a slight twist on the money and drugs genre with city folks in the sticks thrown in. The gay characters break stereotypes and the local hicks turn out to be smarter than they sound. If ye ain't from Missoura you might not enjoy it as much as I did.
  • LA Carlson22 July 2017
    Dark, Violent, Explicit and generally Terrific
    If you like your shows dark but plausible Ozark would be for you. It has a terrific cast, plausible premise and it builds slowly like a terrific series does. Some scenes are violent and explicit with either gun play or sex. Easi Morales is haunting as Del the drug dealer. It's familiar ground for Bateman and probably one of his better roles but it's Linney who's sticks out like a beautiful diamond among cubic zirconium. Her resume is already impressive but this is not her typical role. Julie Garner is excellent as Ruth the hustler. Jordana Spiro as Rachel raises our interest with a fine, subtle presence and audiences will recognize the house guest, Buddy with a laugh. My favorite cameo comes in episode 3 and proves this Canadian singer has a great sense of humor!
  • supervundu-5776313 November 2017
    Decent show, solid production, sets up second season well
    So, you should probably watch this show if you're reading the reviews. Ozark isn't for everyone, probably 30-45 year olds who aren't homophobic (like several reviewers on here), and can follow a story that doesn't always follow a linear narrative. Oh yeah, and folks who understand subtext.

Is it the best show ever? Well, no. Is it one of the best shows of 2017, definitely.
  • fastpuppy3 August 2017
    It's good and I should probably like it more but...
    The cast and the acting are great. Bateman in particular is very good, I like him in these darker roles. The story makes enough sense that it should work. Direction and cinematography is good. Etc...

But for some reason I find myself fighting to get through a couple of the episodes (I have watched 6 so far) because I am expecting some sort of payoff.

I really don't know what it is that keeps it from coming together for me. There is a certain lack of cogency that underlies the show where I just can't suspend my disbelief long enough. Many plot elements seem forced from an awkward place.

Not sure... if I get through the season maybe my opinion will change.

It's certainly better than a lot f the other stuff on TV.
  • traumajunky-9067921 July 2017
    Great framework and so much potential
    This series has so much potential and has a decent cast. I think the history of the characters were rushed and some of the plot was not as detailed as it should have been. This series could be a huge hit in the coming seasons if it had deeper connected characters. A great example of this would be the TV series Justified. Overall the story line has great capabilities and the ideas within the plot are refreshing but there is room for improvement.
  • FIoret22 July 2017
    Jason Bateman the DILF
    Obvi the main attraction here is Bateman. But honestly the first episode knocks it out of the park. This isn't like your cable network shows where it takes an entire season to get to the good stuff. You're basically getting a explosive bukkake out of the gate. Very tense and dark. The directing makes every scene moody and depressing.
  • neil-swift-2345322 July 2017
    Looking good.
    I'm half way through episode three and I've come back here to review previously reviewed comments. One reviewer likened it to Breaking Bad but different and I totally agree.

It's the same premise as Breaking Bad, a father is looking out for his family whilst knowingly breaking the law but in a good way {you kinda know what I mean} and so even if he is bad you have a certain sympathy and empathy for the guy.

Handled well this could be as good as Walking Dead before it was handled bad.
  • S1 August 2017
    Not quite there
    I will echo that this show has potential but falls short. There is little to no character development. I would not compare it to Breaking Bad which is much more complex and original. The acting just doesn't compare and it is relentlessly dark. There are no moments of humor to make it more true to real life. There are a lot of moments that left me shaking my head.

What bothered me is that the writers and producers clearly did not research the area that the show is based around. Why didn't they consult anyone or just talk to people in the area? I am puzzled why they chose to portray the Ozarks with actors speaking like they are from the deep south. In fact, some of the phrases are stereotypical sayings that I would imagine someone from the south saying. Especially Ruth who uses a really thicker southern drawl with ridiculous phrases. There is quite a difference between Ozark Midwestern hillbilly and a southern accent neither of which they get right. Even the little things... being so close to Kansas City, the folks from the Ozarks are Royals fans, not Cards fans.

I will continue to tune in and hope the series improves with time.
  • Sam Pistachio28 September 2017
    Fails to deliver.
    Starts with great promise and great cinematography, albeit gaping plot holes, draws you in but disappoints with ludicrous plot-twists that fail to suspend disbelief. Towards the end the plot line meanders and ultimately fizzles out, the character interactions unbelievable and just plain dumb.
  • 1/10
    Oh by the way I am a serial killer. But that's between me and you OK?
    -Characters in this show expose their most deep secrets like it's nothing:

"Nice to meet you I'm a drug dealer"

"kids, yo mommy and I will come home late tonight we gonna launder some money for a drug dealer."

-Red neck daughter conspires to murder someone casually while visiting her daddy in prison. No cameras? no guards? Or was it a library and not a prison?

-gay redneck, gay redneck's understanding and supporting dumb brother, gay redneck's two sons reading literature.

-gay fbi agent, gay black fbi agent. fbi agent getting drunk, shooting a TV publicly in a bar while in undercover duty.

gay redneck and gay fbi agent going into a fist fight right before kissing. Wooooo how passionate!

-people getting killed but local authorities are portrayed yet again as incompetent, slacking, clueless people who decide that each and every death was an accident. Typical.

Oh boy this show has so so so so many stupid unrelated s**t going on that I must have forgotten to mention most of them here. Super unrealistic yet predictable events. Dumb story and dumb characters.

Seems like they tried to copycat Breaking Bad but the only common thing about Ozark and Breaking Bad is the word "Bad" in Breaking Bad and "Bad" acting and "Bad" story in Ozark. No one will want a second season.
  • jebowbroncos11 August 2017
    Starts off great but quickly fizzles out
    The pilot was well done and pulled me right in. The plot points presented in that first episode were interesting and seemed pretty well thought out. The acting was good, Bateman in particular added a new note or two his normally one-note predictability. The camera work was engrossing. The setup was there for a good noir. Unfortunately each following episode increasingly spirals downward in credibility and competence. The casting is off, plot holes increase in size as the story stumbles along and the writers did just what I feared they would do. Turned the "southern" characters into cartoons. A simple rule for writers anywhere, if you don't understand the south and its subtleties, don't write about it. Particularly if you're trying to create a story with depth.
  • Roastt1 September 2017
    An unlikable family move to a grotesque town and participate in grimy events to avoid death.
    Ozark is a story of a dysfunctional family having to move to the Missouri Ozarks so that the dad can re-launder a huge amount of cash for a drug cartel his business partners stole from without his knowledge. The mob boss' reason for having him re-launder, despite the money being clean already, is feeble and adds no genuine notion to the entire premise of the series. The family features a weird boy who studies vultures eating dead things, a spoilt teenage girl who thinks she knows everything, a mother who had an affair prior to the move and a dad who is a money laundering criminal who likes watching a sex tape of his wife porking another man.

The family situate in a town that we continue to learn is hilariously grotesque for no apparent reason. Such aspects are a strip club that breaks every strip club law available, a fuel/diner owner slag who goes out for her 'fuck of the week' to whichever man she thinks is "cute enough" and a neighbour who is dying and walks around naked without a care in the world. Some gypsies are in the mix too, who are, you guessed it, criminals, including an obnoxious girl who mentions her hot-shot "daddy" constantly as a shield for all her actions, and a man who states he hates gays and SHOCK HORROR turns out to be gay himself *cough* American Beauty *cough* to an FBI agent who is completely normal...oh wait, did I say normal? Sorry, I meant he spouts disturbing statements during homosexual acts performed on him by male prostitutes. Just when you thought the script writers weren't trying so hard to be gritty enough, it turns out there's a local crime boss too, because this is apparently a THING that TOWNS HAVE. When met with a priest/vicar, you might believe there is a smidgen of kindness in the town, but it's quickly revealed that the Bibles he hands out during his speeches are filled with drugs. I wish I was making this up.

Literally every character in the entire series is unlikable. The try-hard attempt to make everything as gritty and smutty as possible is too forced and makes for unbelievable scenarios. The 'family man involved with drug money' setting is taken straight from Breaking Bad, the portrayal of every grown up in town as being some sort of criminal, cheater and/or slut is laughable. Every event that takes place is uninteresting as you will not care about the demise of any of these people because they're all awful.
  • michaeljtrubic22 July 2017
    Into the third episode and it is holding my interest well
    Jason stars in and directs the first 2 episodes - he sets down the characters, the mood and the pace.

In many accomplished actors/turned directors they concentrate on character driven projects. This is one of those.

Never been to this part of the US it appears to depict - its given me the same curiosity for the characters that I felt with "Justified".

In many of these 'flight from the feds' genre type films this one is refreshingly different. These Feds are not over bearing and heavy handed as they are so often depicted.

Its only slightly into episode three and what I've seen so far has captured my interest and kept it.

A very innovative project.
  • Jovan Petrov31 July 2017
    Dark, intelligent, grim, eye opening
    Season 1 of Ozark is state of art film making. Perfect visuals, directorship. Every line is well thought of, story-line progresses with constant force, making you question your own beliefs and moral grounds.

The Series throws the masks that we put on in the modern society to feel safe, good and righteous. It dissects the modern system deeply and removes the morale of the money, business, family and society models and mixes everything up into a pile of dirt that will make you question yourself whether the modern society is just a relaxing feel-good paramount of the harsh truth behind the whole concept of wealth, territory and belonging.

Watch these series with clean slate approach, but watch it carefully as every visual hint, every tone, every word is important.

Cinematography wise, this production is very close the the European film aesthetics which is positive if you want to produce such heavy soul crushing atmosphere. European production would be even more merciless with its characters, but this is a leap forward in our expectations about the honesty of US story telling.

I hope to see Season 2, but I also hope it will not be just a recycle. Great job to the whole team!
  • jerrymcdon24 July 2017
    So Far, So Stupid
    I'm on Episode 4, desperately hoping this annoying series will somehow get better and raise itself out of the garbage hole that it has seemed to have inexorably wandered into.

Another one of those over-rated series, getting 8's and 9's, and oh, no, even 10's, from people who are likely affiliated with the show and trying to hype it into a second season. And the rest of the gushing reviews from the usual group of Stupid People, for whom nothing is too idiotic to merit less than an 9.

The problem with this crap is that every few minutes, something totally and utterly unrealistic and unbelievable happens. People saying and doing things that are just *not* the way people behave.

I find myself constantly saying something like, "oh God, give me a break" when Stupid Thing #112 happens. In this episode, for instance, a highly-irritating 19-year-old budding C**t locks her two brothers at gunpoint inside a cage with two small bobcats. They take it as nothing more than if she stole their Doritos. Most rednecks would tear open the cage after she left, track her down and blow her head off. But no, not in this ridiculous exercise in imbecility.

If you have no trouble suspending disbelief no matter how stupid and idiotic the plot goes, then you'll love this. But if you're not some unemployed Vicodin addict waiting for your next welfare check, I suspect you'll soon realize this is shallow, cheesily-written, stupid garbage.

Another "Breaking Bad", my a**.
  • ememessien-977-87096113 October 2017
    Thanks but no thanks.
    I struggled through episode one, over three nights. I then tried to force myself to watch episode 2, at which point I came to my senses and stopped the audio-visual torture. In no way is this show captivating. The characters are all odious, the plot is farcical and the acting is drab.

I'm yet to understand what has prompted so many of my peers to claim that this show is recommendable.

From what I could stomach this show is terrible.
  • Jared7 August 2017
    Worst season of Arrested Development, yet
    Thought it could be an interesting drama, it turns out to be a depressing, unbelievable, and ridiculous situation-filled series. Although it seems to be a talented cast, the characters are frequently annoying, oftentimes offensive, and never seem to learn from any of their choices. Many of the situations seem unrealistic and overly sensational, to the point of eye-rolling.
  • graysonschmidt8 August 2017
    plenty of other shows to watch
    I'm being generous with a 6. I made it through 4 episodes so maybe (doubtfully) it got a lot better, but the show is slow, boring, annoying characters, and just an overall reach. anyone who has seen shows like breaking bad, sopranos, the wire, mad men, or dozens of other smart, creative shows will be quite let down by this. it wants to be a good show so bad, but it never will.
  • tomstark-17 October 2017
    Just not very interesting
    This show has got it all - sex, drugs, violence, murder - and yet it's still quite boring. The story revolves around characters making highly nonsensical decisions. As much as I like Jason Bateman, his performance felt wooden much of the time. A number of scenes (such as the "spanking" scene) seemed forced and very unnatural, almost cringey. I kept watching because of all the glowing reviews but it ended up taking 1 1/2 months for me to get through it all.
  • John Sinclair26 July 2017
    Unbelievably bad
    The story line is unoriginal, characters stereotyped, overplayed swearing, and a denigration to Missouri citizens and the FBI. Jason Batemans character is as believable as Gomer Pyle, and that goes for the rest of the cast -- you expect the viewers to believe this? I do not understand the high ratings unless you enjoy watching gay sex and and BJs in strip joints. If I was to grade the writers, I would give a "C-" for originality and an "A" for appealing to 18-year old boys.

I give it two stars because for the camera work, otherwise a zero.