User Reviews (293)

Mahavir Singh Phogat teaches his two daughters to be international wrestling players of India! This is a simple and impressive story. And they finally defeat UK on the wrestling match.

I think this is India's 'Yip Man'! This kind of nationalism is healthy and is beneficial to all audiences without background considerations. The film length is also accurate. Growing courses of protagonists need 160 minutes. And emotional responses to their tragic mistakes are well described by the talented actors in detail. Audiences can fully engage in this film.

A lot of Asian audiences have bias against Indian films that their films are just dances and songs for two hours or more, however there is the perfect construction of story with minimalist use of songs and musics.

This quality is higher than any Japanese films of today! Indian filmmakers should keep this high quality of film content! It is competitive to Hollywood films. At the end of the film, it is full of enlightenment, the most important thing in life is not 'thing' but it is a human relationship with emotion. If you are true to your families' goodness and emotion, you'll find the best solution of your problem. Even though you fail in this way, your family relationship will only be enhanced as the result of your effort and sincereness. This what this film tells you!

Thank you!
  • DANGAL is a masterpiece. A terrific film that stays in your heart and remains etched in your memory much after the screening has concluded. A brilliant film that restores your faith in Hindi cinema. Actually, it won't be erroneous to state that DANGAL is the finest film to come out of the Hindi film industry in a long, long time and mark my words, it will be remembered as a classic in times to come. It blends drama, emotions, sportsmanship and patriotism extraordinarily… the icing on the cake being Aamir Khan's towering act. This rich-in-merits film has a major advantage too -- the holidays ahead Christmas and New Year -- which will ensure a glorious run at the ticket counters. A must, must watch!
  • Aamir Khan shines in the role of Mahavir Singh Phogat. He is so outstanding in his performance that this could be considered as one of his best works ever. The opening scene of the film is just a glimpse of Phogat's passion for the sport – wrestling. The first half of Dangal works exactly like a skilled wrestler – invariably sure of its moves. The film's second half is all about victory. Mahavir's transformation from the once upset father of a baby girl to the most triumphant one to Geeta's string of losses before she finally wins a gold during Common Wealth Games to desi akhara being replaced by wrestling mat – every moment works in contrast to what you had watched earlier. But not even once does the film loses its focus.

A word here about Mukesh Chhabra's casting: he has done a tremendous job of the casting. Nitesh Tiwari's direction is amazingly terrific. AmitabhBhattacharya's lyrics are great. Pritam's music is in terrific sync with the mood of the drama. 'Dangal dangal' is a very inspiring song and will soon become a rage. 'Dhaakad' and 'Haanikarak' are also very well-tuned. The 'Gilehariyaan' song has terrific charm of a different kind. Amitabh Bhattacharya's lyrics are great. The song writer may pick up some awards for his lyrics. Bosco- Caesar's choreography is very real. Pritam's background music deserves distinction marks. The actors who play the young Geeta and Babita (Zaira Wasim, Suhani Bhatnagar) do a competent job of maintaining the audiences attention. And both Shaikh and Malhotra carry it forward, especially when they spend a lot of the second half on the mat, learning how to lose, and, above all, to win. Since it encapsulates the historic win of the phogats who bought India glory so it is bound to inspire women. Dialogues are absolute gems. Without being overtly long, they are so effective that they invariably touch the heart before reaching the ears. On the whole, Dangal is not just a movie; it is an experience to be cherished. The film is destined to be one of the biggest blockbusters of Indian cinema.As it content oriented so The movie is both for the single screens as well as for the multiplexes and people of all age can watch.so this movie is a must watch. So I Rate it 10 stars out of 10 because I was thinking movie deserves it.I usually don't rate any movie 10 but This movie "HatsOff". Don't Expect a better story than this.Finest piece.Dangal hai yeh.
  • I saw this with my family in a theatre. Awesome experience. This is why i love Aamir khan movies. Proud to be an Aamir khan fan. Aamir's acting, effort n most importantly his passion is what makes his cinema so damn unique. First thing Dangal has going for it is Aamir khan. First off the acting was amazing. Aamir khan gave arguably the best performance of his career playing Phogat. He is the best actor in bollywood. Period. He shocked me by his transformation. I myself being a gym trainer knows the effort which goes in such kinda transformation. Without Aamir I don't think this movie could have achieved what it has. Sakshi Tanwar gave a great performance as his wife. The daughters Fatima n Sanya gave lovely performances. The  child actors were good too. The music was good. The direction by Tiwari was the best of 2016. This movie was never boring and full credit shud go to the director. The cinematography gave you a feeling as if what you are watching is real. The village was captured well. Overall you don't have to like wrestling or know wrestling to appreciate this movie. Its a wonderful movie. The movie is written very well. Superb screenplay n crispy editing.
  • "Direction was superb and Aamir's performance was excellent. A compelling narrative based on true story with a powerful message for women" My rating- 4.5/5 (Movie of the year and don't miss this flick)

Positives- 1.)Direction and screenplay- Direction and screenplay didn't bore us and we were glued to the seats as it was so engaging and entertaining.

2.)Aamir khan , Zaira (young Geeta), Fathima (geeta) , suhani (young babitha), sanya(babitha) and fathima (mother)- Everyone's performance was excellent. Amir's hardwork and dedication for this role can be seen through his performance. He once again proved to be Mr perfectionist. All girls who acted as daughters were very good and they portrayed their roles without any problems.

3.)Songs and bg score- Special mention for title song. Title song was great and suited the movie well. Hats off to Pritam and he once again proved that he is the best music director of bollywood.

4.) Cinematography and edits- Cinematographer captured wrestling scenes very well and edits of certain scenes were good.

5.)Strong message for women

Negatives- (NO NEGATIVES)

Is it a must watch? Yes!!! and watch it in theaters to get the feel.

Overall- This is the best Christmas treat for everyone from dangal team. This has Aamir Khan's best performance till date. And the major one is that it has strong message for women. Yes its a must watch movie and don't miss this flick!! My rating- 4.5/5 (Movie of the year and don't miss this movie)

For more reviews go to- ridinbal movie reviews. Ridin bal movie reviews has all language movie reviews(Malayalam,English,Telugu,Kannada,Tamil,Arabic,Hindi,Iranian)
  • Just came home after watching the premier show. It really is a masterpiece! A compelling narrative based on a true story. Add stellar acting performances and humor. Pour in cinematography, location, songs & meaningful lyrics. Voila! Everything amazingly fits together in a single string. Truly clean entertainment. In all sense of the word. Worth watching with family. A good movie should entertain. A great movie must connect. And connect, it did. I could almost feel as if I were there, throughout. The plot development is deep, and engaging. Did I mention the child actors, especially the one portraying Geeta? Outstanding performance by all. In a nutshell, my time & resources spent were fully worth. And Aamir Khan! Boy, he never disappoints. =)
  • Umm where to start? First of Aamir sir has done it again. He really has a good taste in selecting movies. Not only the acting even the fighting scenes were quite real to me & reel Geeta and Babita were just too awesome. There is certain moments where you're gonna laugh out loud, get anger, get emotional and obviously feel proud the most that's what the movie brings out of itself. I hope this movie brings joy to all family and a chance to look at all daughter's of their's potential.

Should you go for it? Hell yes

Songs are smartly enough and pretty amazing.

Ps. I wished the movie to be a bit longer.
  • dineshprakash22 December 2016
    Director Mr. Nitesh Tiwari work is so brilliant that after few minutes, you just forget that you are watching film. You simply start witnessing the journey of Phogat's family. Makers are so confident that they have even given credit for story idea to Divya Rao, which reflects their honesty. She is not in writing team but gets her due credit. There are four writers, Director himself, Piyush Gupta, Shreyas Jain and Nikhil Mehrotra and their work is fantastic. Screenplay is seamless and very balanced with much needed freshness. Film starts with glimpse of Mahavir Singh Phogat's passion for wrestling, while watching and challenging another district level arrogant winner, while commentary comes over on them which is fresh. When that person gets defeated he says 'Tumne district level pehlawan ko haraya hai' Then Mahavir Singh replies ' Tension mat le, tum national level champion se hare ho'. Words may be a bit different but meaning was same. Which gives strong idea that what level of dialogues you are going to listen and they have maintained the graph. Dialogues just nourish your senses, inducing correct emotions. A simple scene where protagonist massages feet of his sleeping daughter, clearly reflects that he is just not a ruthless coach but a caring father too. Girls curse their father in front of their friend who is getting married, then that girl emotional words about her feeling towards their caring father is very cute, emotional and enough to make girls realize that what they are taking for granted. Best part of this film is it's continues ascending graph in every aspect. First half is cute, funny with subtle dose of emotions. Second half takes this graph to the horizon. Full of emotions, either it is of defeat, victory or relations. Another major plus point is the way they have shown wrestling. I dint know a bit of it but I enjoyed all wrestling matches like it was my favorite game and that is major chunk of film. Hats off to the team behind wresting choreography .Though you have basic idea of film happenings but still they kept you engrossed by presentation. Climax comes with a very strong message that one can train you but only you have to implement the techniques, which makes you true winner and enriches self confident. Performance makes you thunderstruck. Words can not justify or compliment, Amir Khan's performance as Mahavir Singh Phogat. Zaira Waseem as younger Geeta is brilliant. She is so good that when Fatima Sana Sheikh takes over as grown up Geeta, you miss younger one but soon Fatima proves that she has taken the graph far ahead. Same happens with younger Babita played by Suhani Bhatnagar and grown up by Sanya Malhotra. Skashi Tanwar as wife of Mahavir Singh is very good. Girish Kulkarni , who had played coach is superb, you do hate his character but love his performance. Actor, who played younger cousin of Geeta and even grown up one, both actors are cute and endearing. Kudos to casting director Mukesh Chhabra and team. Music by Pritam and lyrics by Amitabh Bhattacharya, are integral part of this film. Without any formulated track you just enjoy every song and your eyes get mois in one too.
  • Excellent movie. Stellar performance by Aamir Khan. Movie of the year. The girls - kids and the grown ups portrayed their role very well. Special mention should be given to Nitesh Tiwari - the director. Music by Pritam is good. The cinematography is nice. The story telling is superb. Overall very nice movie. Watch this movie for Aamir Khan. Hands down to Aamir. His role as Mahavir Singh Phogat will be marked as one of his best. This film will come as one of the best sports films based on the life of coach after Chak De and Iqbal. I strongly recommend this film. Wish other actors think like how Aamir Khan thinks. He is brilliant actor. That makes him special and perfectionist. My rating 10/10.
  • Story: 9/10 A Very True inspiring story of former wrestler champion Mahavir Singh Phogat whose dream is to win a gold medal for India in wrestling. But he fails to achieve that, then He avow that his son will do it. However, he got disappointed when his wife gives birth to four daughters.

Music: 9/10 Amazing, Very touching background. Greatly Synced Title track will give you goosebumps

Direction: 9/10 Nitesh Tiwari achieved what he wanted, Got a new name, One of the best directors of Bollywood.

Acting: Aamir Khan: 10/10 This time as a father, He will amaze you in every scene. His acting skills are deeply great. Whenever I watch Aamir's movies, I feel his acting. He loves acting and entertaining the world since He came to the Film Industry.

Fatima Sana Shaikh: 9/10 Sometimes I still watch Chachi 420, because I love Kamal Hassan. And Fatima Sana Shaikh was the little girl in Chachi 420. Seriously I have seen her after Chachi 420. And after Dangal she will go so far.

Dangal is humorous and Inspirational Journey.
  • Mahavir Singh Phogat is a former champion wrestler. He is married to Shobha Kaur. Phogat's dream is to win a gold medal for India in wrestling. He is unable to do this. He promises that his son will do what he couldn't do. However, although he loves them dearly, Phogat is disappointed when Shobha gives birth to four daughters. He does not believe girls can wrestle well. However, when two of his daughters, Geeta and Babita, come home after beating up two boys, Phogat realises how wrong he has been and begins to train his daughters in wrestling. The film is the story of how Phogat trained his daughters to become professional wrestlers.
    I got the privilege to watch this film earlier than the India release as I happen to live in North America. Thank you Disney! Now, what to say about 'Dangal'? It's not a typical Bollywood film, yet it is easily the best Bollywood film ever, even in terms of every, so called, Bollywood masala trick. The incredible storytelling, based on true events, every small detailing, amazing cast, the message it had without being preachy or pretentious but still powerful-there was not one single boring moment in the movie-well, probably one, if you are too picky!,though it is nearly three hours! Kudos to the director! And what to say about Aamir khan? Though he did not have any dramatic moment in the movie (those belong to the girls, who were fabulous by the way), he is not the charming usual boy next door, sexy or cheeky person(the traits which are generally associated with Aamir Khan); rather he is a brute, has a tummy for the majority length of the movie-yet you will not be able to keep him off your mind, even after the movie ends, and easily the best Aamir khan performance ever (and yes, I have seen every Aamir khan film, each a million time).
  • This movie proves that India is not yet ready for an honest biopic film. Although the film excelled in every other aspects such as acting, cinematography, special effects, music; especially MUSIC, But it couldn't capture the real aspect of the story of the wrestlers daughter and her sisters. We never get to know her enthusiasm towards wrestling. Was it her relationship with her father who imposed his dream of winning a gold on her? or her duty towards her nation to win it? or was it her own desire to never give up or lose to a competitive opposition to satisfy her own ego?

This film was heavily clichéd just for the purpose of entertaining the masses and clearly may have aggravated many characters who are related to this story. TOO much HYPE may have given this movie the attention that it pursued, and why not? this is business after all.

Much disappointed with the makers of the film for adulterating such an awesome script which may have had made everybody proud. Current IMDb score :9.2 with over 13k users. Where have we gone wrong?

Final verdict: Its a good watch, but one wouldn't rate this movie 9/10 unless he/she had any personal attachment towards the film. it has good social message/dialogues. An 8 would be too generous, hence I would rate it 6 or 7 out of 10.
  • Bezdomnyi3 July 2017
    Yes, Indian films are a breed of their own, but ranking the film as high as top 250 all time - better than Vertigo for instance - is pure ridicule.

The drama follows the Rocky saga, after difficulties a winner emerges. There is nothing new to the genre, there is nothing surprising and it is all so predictable from the very beginning. The acting is usual childish Indian - good, but yet the storyline is so thin...

...there a honestly better Indian films (like Wednesday or 3 idiots) where the story line is more unique - and includes better music with the ever beloved Indian dance scenes.

I wish IMDb would introduce a regional voting - keeping these films out of Top 250.
  • It's conceivable that a wrestling movie might have you on the edge of your seat, but who'd have thought it would bring tears to your eyes. Dangal does both in large doses. Right from the opening scenes through to the awesome climax, this is one movie that will keep you glued to the screen. I can't remember the last 3 hour movie (nearly) where absolutely nobody took a toilet break apart from in the intermission.

Everything about the movie is superb from the cinematography through to the script writing. The movie is superbly directed and there are so many stellar acting performances that it would be unfair to single anyone out.

One thing about sports movies is that the action can often seem staged, but the fight sequences in this movie are superbly done and brilliantly filmed.

Everyone knows an AK movie is going to be great, and this definitely doesn't disappoint.

A must watch.
  • Dangal is truly a masterpiece! It's literally a breath of fresh air watching a masterpiece like this. Dangal is a very inspirational and emotional movie that will leave you completely speechless once you leave the theater. Here are the Pros and Cons that I've found in the movie.

Pros: Performances: First and fore most, Aamir Khan is amazing in this movie! Like many people I consider him a perfectionist but if you are the kind of person who doesn't believe that, his performance in this movie will prove you wrong! Aamir Khan is so brilliant and outstanding in the film. In every single scene of this movie, he gets into the skin of Mahavir Singh Phogat and portrays that character perfectly. Aamir Khan is hands down one of the best actors in Indian Cinema! In the role of Geeta Phogat (the older daughter) both Fatima Sheikh and Zaira Wasim give an excellent performance. In the role of Babita (the younger daughter) Sania Malhotra and Suhani Bhatnagar both give an outstanding performance. Sakshi Tanwar as the mother is brilliant. The rest of the supporting cast do an outstanding job portraying their parts. This is one of those movies in which every single actor leaves a major impact in the movie. Overall, the performances are top notch!!

Direction: Nitesh Tiwari for his third film ( Chillar Party and Bhootnath Returns were his first two movies which were great) directs an incredible movie. His narrative style and visual perspective of the story is absolutely marvelous that you can't think of any other director who could have done a better job! Nitesh Diwali had done an amazing job directing this movie!

Music: The music and background score by Pritam are amazing. While all of the songs are situational, all of the songs are very well composed. Whether it's the title song, Dhakkad, or Gilehiriyan. All of the songs in Dangal are amazing. The music by Pritam is absolutely wonderful!

Story/Screenplay/Dialogues: The entire script of Dangal is absolutely marvelous. The screenplay of the movie is so well written with amazing dialogue. The first half of the movie has so many funny and light moments that you are amazed by how entertaining the film is. The second half is the sole of the movie, there are so many emotional and inspirational scenes in the movie that will make you tear up. The script of Dangal is wonderful and since it's based on a true story the story is so simple yet very impactful.

There are many more Pros in this movie.

Cons:

Honestly, there were barely any Cons in this movie. There was absolutely nothing in this movie that bothered me. I'll probably say that there are just about a few scenes in the movie that slightly dips the screenplay mainly in the beginning of the movie. Other than that I have no major flaws with this movie!!

Overall, Dangal is an outstanding film that will inspire you and motivate you. This is a great film on not just female empowerment but it's an amazing movie on family and human emotions in general. Dangal is a triumph and is one of the best movies I've seen this decade!!!
    The year 2016 has been good for Hindi cinema. We have seen some very good films like Pink, Nil Battey Sannata, Sultan, Kapoor & Sons, Neerja, Airlift, MS Dhoni, Wazir and a few more.

However, the year ends with Dangal, the finest & realistic Hindi sports film ever made and definitely the masterpiece of 2016.

The film is based on national level wrestler and coach Mahavir Singh Phogat who taught wrestling to his two elder daughters Geeta & Babita at a time when women wrestling was looked down upon in India and Indians failed to get medals in international events.

The film highlights their journey from childhood, their rigorous training, their sacrifices and the challenges and setbacks that they faced initially at the international level. However, both later went on to win gold and many other medals for India in several international championships in female wrestling.

Talking about performances, every actor in the movie appears so realistic that one tends to forget that they are actors. Both the child actresses playing the two wrestlers are simply superb and their grown up versions are amazing as well. Aamir Khan playing their father with a huge paunch is as usual a riveting watch.The supporting cast is also terrific.

Hats off to the director for making such a brilliant film. I can't find an obvious flaw in it. Well Done! :D
  • pavanjantikar25 December 2016
    One of the best Hindi movies ever.Aamir's acting was on the spot. Direction wise,Nitesh Tiwari has done an excellent job.The actors who played the role of Geeta and Babita were so apt to that role. Songs are in sync with the situations in the movie and they sound good. The role played by Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat was one of his best performances ever. Overall,it was an excellent all-round performance from story- telling,cinematography,acting,direction,screenplay and music.It is definitely worth to wait Aamir's movie every time. Even though he makes very few movies but he makes sure that he delivers best performances every time and addresses the flaws in the Indian society in a meaningful way.The best Christmas gift for everyone from Dangal Team.
  • Dangal-pure gem. My rating - 9.5/10. Best sports-drama movie ever made. Movie is based on true story with a powerful message for women. Stellar performance by Aamir Khan. Top notch performances from the entire cast. Dangal has it all-Great direction(Nitesh Tiwari),powerful dialogues,perfect mix of humour and emotions. Music by Pritam is great.The cinematography is nice. The story telling is excellent. Aamir Khan brilliantly portrayed the role of real life wrestler Mahavir Singh Phogat. His daughters Geeta (Fatima) and Babita (Sanya) deserves equal credits. The national anthem played at the end will certainly give u goosebumps. True Indians will love this sports-drama film.
    In a rural town of North India, what would possibly be the concern of a father of "four" young girls? Many would say earning sufficient sustenance and arranging dowry to get them married. Gratefully one such father was pondering over a different set of anxiety all together – "how to make world champions of his children".

"Dangal" (Wrestling Arena) is a sports-biographical drama based on the lives of Indian Wrestler Mahavir Singh Phogat and his two daughters – Geeta and Babita, transpiring the events to their glory in Commonwealth Games 2010.

Opening up in the dusty arena of the mud-slapping "desi-pehalwaans" (wrestlers) with the pulsating title-track, where Mahavir Singh (Aamir Khan) himself prepared his way to become the national champion in Freestyle Wrestling. Due to financial constraints he gave up his sport to earn bread-and-butter; although, he refused to give up on his dream to win an international Gold for India. He wished to raise his son to such stature; little did he know that he would only be blessed with daughters, thus, a bane for his dream.

Until he discovered that even they possess the stamina and the spark of a wrestler. Thus, with a new found belief he began the training of the young 'Phogat Sisters' (Zaira Wasim and Suhani Bhatnagar), marked with much resistance and hindrance from the wee kids, their mother and the society, in general. The endurance of severe nerve-wracking months began under their father's coaching as Geeta and Babita scaled fields, heaved through push-ups, beaten down in sparring by their frailish cousin brother and cried their eyes out as they begged to not chop off their hair – all to no avail.

Till, one day they realized how fortunate they have been to be raised unlike other girls who are married off at an early age or merely shoved into the "chuhlah-chaukah" (kitchen) of their homes; motivating enough to make them into better wrestlers, upto the mark that they jostled their way to national championships and international team selections.

Even as the adult - Geeta and Babita (Fatima Sana Shaikh, "Chachi 420"; and Sanya Malhotra) had miles to cover. The journey ahead for them was marked with egotism, training disarray and self-doubts, "… wrestlers aren't made overnight. They have to be tended and cared for a lifetime." Indeed, the bout had only begun. What's remarkable is that even on covering a plethora of topics bordered by societal norms of male-favouritism, disfavor to sports and discriminating girls, it doesn't lose a beat and neither time. It's almost surprising to see such level of fine and crisp editing (Ballu Saluja, "Lagaan") which not just puts the perspective, but even the narrative right. The cinematography (Sethu Sriram, "OMG – Oh My God") is a plus, along with the most blending of scores (Pritam, "Barfi!") produced in recent times.

Aamir Khan is, as well-known, a natural performer and could be easily moulded out of his star-persona. He possesses a master control and gumption in his style, which is almost too simplistic, yet brilliant.

However, the real "hero" is the National Award recipient Writer- Director, Nitesh Tiwari ("Chillar Party", "Bhootnath Returns") who has not only drawn career-best performances from the likes of Aamir Khan and stars, but at the same time portrayed a universal-story of human endeavor, spirit and triumph without losing the vision of wrestling, as it is.

Even with some creative liberties, such was the environment within the theatre that my co-viewers were jumping and cheering from their seats for the recreated matches. I found myself joining in and stood fervently, when the National Anthem was played for that Gold for India.

Dangal is undoubtedly a rare and sparkling gem of Indian and World Cinema, alike. If not already, please do watch at the earliest.

A revered 9/10.
  • What an amazing movie 'Dangal' is!!!

Starting from the writing,direction,screenplay,performances&background score, the movie is just excellent from all aspects. Supremely obliged to witness the inspirational story of Mr.Mahavir Phogat&his daughters. And last,but not the least, no body could have done this better than the gem of Indian cinema Mr.Pefectionist&Mr.Passionate Aamir Khan Sir. Take a bow. Kudos to the entire team of 'Dangal' for making us witness the wonderful film. A must watch indeed. A finessing direction from Mr.Nitesh Tiwari. The climax of the film is especially the thing to be appreciated.The cultural relationship between a father and his daughters is shown perfectly.I have not seen such a sensitive movie yet.Finally, this happens to be an 'all time epic movie' of Indian cinema. This movie set our Indian cinema standards high.
    Hello All,

So as story every one knows that Mahaveer Phogat wants to win a gold for Country, but due to some family reason Mahaveer Phogat not able to fight for nation. Then he wants a Boy who can win a Gold for India but unfortunately he always blessed with girl.

Then after an event he realized that yes even girl(Geeta and Babita) can win a Gold for country.

Then he started training a Girls, but as you know when u start doing something different whole world against you. Same happened here, people started teasing girls about wrestling. But Mahaveer didn't loose hope and keep on working hard.

Then after too much of hard work, Geeta become a national Champion 3 consecutive time. Then whoever become national Champion has to go to NSA(National Sports Academy)for training.

Then Geeta finds a new coach on NSA and she was out first time from home and she lost her focus. She started learning new things and found it better than her father techniques. Then she challenged her father on fight and her father lost. And she was full of proud that she knows better than her father.

After that she been to World Championship and lost all the fights, her coach told her that you are not capable of bringing the International medal and while the same time her sister also become National Champion and joined the NSA.

Geeta was broke here sister Babita supports her and then Geeta realized her mistake and apologized to her father.

Then again her father supported them and started training them, He took rent house near NSA and started training them.

After her father trained her, Geeta starts wining the games again and gave all credit to father. But coach felt offened and he wants to take revenge. But apart from lows and highs they didn't loose hope and finally won a First Women Wrestling gold for India.

Following Positive Points:-

Acting :- Superb acting by Aamir and each and every one. , Drama:- Super , Fantastic. Screenplay : Can you believe its hardly 20 mins on screen fight and they practiced for wrestling for almost 4 months. And wow what a fight scenes, the fight scenes shown into film you never seen it before. Its so natural. , Story :- Story nothing new, but direction is fabulous. , Hard work :- OMG can you believe it took almost 2 years to make movie and you can see it in movie(awesome). , Atlast every one must watch this film once. Superb!!!! , The movie will stir into your mind trust me, and you never gonna forget this.

And you can feel the patriotism!!!!

Best Sports Movie ever made in Bollywood Era

1 less star for common story.

Thanks for reading :)
  • While off late, Bollywood have witnessed many sports movies, very few have been so focused on the sport as Dangal. Meticulously detailed to perfection - as expected from Aamir Khan, Dangal scores on almost every aspect - be it detailing, story telling, entertainment value, drama or humor. The last sports movie that was closest to this one was Chak De India.

Story (10/10): In the backdrop of Hindi heartland state Haryana, the story depicts the struggle of a father against the rampant and age old gender discrimination in India, especially in the northern belt, to get his daughters into the wrestling, something which is considered a male-only profession, to fulfill his dream of winning the gold for the country. He himself was a part of that brigade, thinking that only a male child can fulfill his dream, before he realized two things - winning a gold for the country is not a privilege of men and his daughters have a wrestler's blood running in them. The story depicts his fight - socially, financially as well as administratively (with the sports authorities) - to enable his talented daughters bring gold medal home. While the story is impressive, the best part is the details that doesn't restrict itself to Mahavir Singh Phogat but goes beyond to touch issues around the social exploitation of women, gender based discrimination, the mentality of treating girl child as a baggage, the male-child mania, the state of sports infrastructure in the country, the importance of a right coach for a sportsperson and even religious harmony. However, it also depicts something wrong in the Indian society which is the obsession of Indian parents' using their children to fulfill their dreams. The story largely revolves around Mahavir Singh Phogat, played by Aamir Khan and his elder daughter Geeta Phogat, the child version played by Zaira Wasim and the elder version played by Fatima Sana Sheikh. The evolution of the relationship is shown beautifully and something to look forward to in the movie.

Acting (9/10): After Dear Zindagi, this is another movie where we see the Khans taking a back seat and allowing the newbies to be in the limelight. The movie saw a lot more of Zaira Wasim in the beginning and Fatima Sana Sheikh later. Famita looks very authentic as wrestler during the fight scenes and her acting otherwise as well, is very impressive. Some of the emotional scenes between Aamir Khan and Fatima Sana Sheikh are really well executed without any melodrama. Aamir Khan shines in the role of Mahavir Singh Phogat. His commitment on keeping an original body in both the versions of Mahavir Singh (young and old) along with hours of training on physical fitness and wrestling pays off really well. Sakshi Tanwar plays a very noticeable role with multiple projections of an apologetic wife in the beginning who turns into a strong homemaker and a mother who tries every bit to draw line when her husband's obsession becomes a nightmare for her kids, especially with a fragile relationship of her husband and her eldest daughter. Sanya Malhotra, playing the younger daughter, did a pretty great job. Even with less than a minute of wrestling time in the movie, she looked more formidable than Fatima. The other supporting characters of Aparshakti Khurrana, playing Mahavir Singh's nephew, and Girish Kulkarni, the national coach, have done a decent job. The lead cast's hard work on learning wrestling to make the entire movie look very authentic and the command over the Haryanvi accent brought the movie to life.

Direction (8/10): The direction of the movie has been spot on. The movie has been extremely focused on wrestling unlike other sports movies like MS Dhoni, Mary Kom, Bhaag Milkha Bhaag which had unnecessary side plots and diversions. This is something which worked for Chak De India as well. From the first scene till the last, the director kept the hero of the movie as wrestling, which makes it very enjoyable throughout the 161 minutes. Although some of the details have been altered from the real life to increase the entertainment value, none of them seemed unnecessary or disconnected from the story. The clever use of humor and capitalizing on the Haryanvi accent and words was great. Interestingly, for the scenes that had narration voice in the background, the director chose Omkar's (Mahavir Singh's nephew) view to bring an unbiased perspective, which has worked well (same approach used for Dil Dhadakne Do). The climax is where the director lost his grip a little with some unbelievable sequences that didn't make sense.

Music (9/10): Normally, I don't put music section while rating the movie but Dangal has the kind of music that is really enjoyable as the movie proceeds. The lyrics, in particular, of the songs like "Haanikarak Bapu", "Dhakkad" and the title track are so apt to the story-line and the songs are woven into the movie very seamlessly. Great work by Pritam in the music and Amitabh Bhattacharya in penning down the lyrics.

Overall (9/10): Overall, it's a great movie to watch, especially for the Aamir Khan lovers, and for the general public to understand, not just the wrestling, but the struggles our athletes overcome on their journey to win medals for the country.
  • my-name-is-ns24 December 2016
    Sports, the most important discipline of life, reboots your spirit mentally, physically, even professionally irrespective of you being a sportsperson or not. So also is DANGAL which primarily soars high on a balanced cocktail of women empowerment, discipline, emotion & moral values has captured the ardent relationship between father and daughter so candidly that you will find it impossible to control back your tears. Visionary veteran Mahavir Singh Phogat, against all odds of society, religiously manufacture his raw and uncooked daughters with utmost care prior to their introduction into the World of Wrestling which has been deliciously portrayed (literally yummy) by the ingenue Phogat siblings. While the energetic songs blend in seamlessly with a masterly written screenplay, the elder Phogat siblings raise the bar to the horizon performing through bout to bout. The choreography of bouts feel incredibly authentic on mat which is yet another genuine flavor in the biopic & as a vivid sports follower I must say that the dramatized scorelines will maintain the tempo upwards inside the theater. The entire cast & crew and the witty dialogues are again the contributing factor in this successful biopic besides the unnecessary pre-climax stunt and yes, Aamir- take a bow!!! It would be a sin if you don't watch DANGAL, it's movie of this era, it's gonna etch real hard on your thoughts and reverberate again and again. Go Play! Live your Life! 10/10
  • Aamir Khan shines in the role of Mahavir Singh Phogat. He is so outstanding in his performance that this could be considered as one of his best works ever. Director Mr. Nitesh Tiwari work is so brilliant that after few minutes, you just forget that you are watching film. You simply start witnessing the journey of Phogat's family. Makers are so confident that they have even given credit for story idea to Divya Rao,Aamir Khan and the two lead actress are the best cast roles in a long time, but overall cast done an amazing job. This movie seems to be the greatest gift of the year by Bollywood. Aamir Khan will be reminded for his performance like he is in his other movies.Finally Mr.Perfectionist with his girls has proved their "Dhaakad.