User Reviews (268)

• gskrocks21 December 2016
    Aamir is back with a stellar performance of a decade !
    DANGAL is a masterpiece. A terrific film that stays in your heart and remains etched in your memory much after the screening has concluded. A brilliant film that restores your faith in Hindi cinema. Actually, it won't be erroneous to state that DANGAL is the finest film to come out of the Hindi film industry in a long, long time and mark my words, it will be remembered as a classic in times to come. It blends drama, emotions, sportsmanship and patriotism extraordinarily… the icing on the cake being Aamir Khan's towering act. This rich-in-merits film has a major advantage too -- the holidays ahead Christmas and New Year -- which will ensure a glorious run at the ticket counters. A must, must watch!
  • umashankar pati23 December 2016
    This is AAMIR KHAN's by far the best one.Finest casting and terrific acting by all.
    Aamir Khan shines in the role of Mahavir Singh Phogat. He is so outstanding in his performance that this could be considered as one of his best works ever. The opening scene of the film is just a glimpse of Phogat's passion for the sport – wrestling. The first half of Dangal works exactly like a skilled wrestler – invariably sure of its moves. The film's second half is all about victory. Mahavir's transformation from the once upset father of a baby girl to the most triumphant one to Geeta's string of losses before she finally wins a gold during Common Wealth Games to desi akhara being replaced by wrestling mat – every moment works in contrast to what you had watched earlier. But not even once does the film loses its focus.

A word here about Mukesh Chhabra's casting: he has done a tremendous job of the casting. Nitesh Tiwari's direction is amazingly terrific. AmitabhBhattacharya's lyrics are great. Pritam's music is in terrific sync with the mood of the drama. 'Dangal dangal' is a very inspiring song and will soon become a rage. 'Dhaakad' and 'Haanikarak' are also very well-tuned. The 'Gilehariyaan' song has terrific charm of a different kind. Amitabh Bhattacharya's lyrics are great. The song writer may pick up some awards for his lyrics. Bosco- Caesar's choreography is very real. Pritam's background music deserves distinction marks. The actors who play the young Geeta and Babita (Zaira Wasim, Suhani Bhatnagar) do a competent job of maintaining the audiences attention. And both Shaikh and Malhotra carry it forward, especially when they spend a lot of the second half on the mat, learning how to lose, and, above all, to win. Since it encapsulates the historic win of the phogats who bought India glory so it is bound to inspire women. Dialogues are absolute gems. Without being overtly long, they are so effective that they invariably touch the heart before reaching the ears. On the whole, Dangal is not just a movie; it is an experience to be cherished. The film is destined to be one of the biggest blockbusters of Indian cinema.As it content oriented so The movie is both for the single screens as well as for the multiplexes and people of all age can watch.so this movie is a must watch. So I Rate it 10 stars out of 10 because I was thinking movie deserves it.I usually don't rate any movie 10 but This movie "HatsOff". Don't Expect a better story than this.Finest piece.Dangal hai yeh.
  • khalid-7169123 December 2016
    The best biopic ever
    Umm where to start? First of Aamir sir has done it again. He really has a good taste in selecting movies. Not only the acting even the fighting scenes were quite real to me & reel Geeta and Babita were just too awesome. There is certain moments where you're gonna laugh out loud, get anger, get emotional and obviously feel proud the most that's what the movie brings out of itself. I hope this movie brings joy to all family and a chance to look at all daughter's of their's potential.

Should you go for it? Hell yes

Songs are smartly enough and pretty amazing.

Ps. I wished the movie to be a bit longer.
  • Fella_shibby23 December 2016
    Wow. Awesome film n wonderful performance by Aamir. Disney n Aamir did a miracle with this film.
    I saw this with my family in a theatre. Awesome experience. This is why i love Aamir khan movies. Proud to be an Aamir khan fan. Aamir's acting, effort n most importantly his passion is what makes his cinema so damn unique. First thing Dangal has going for it is Aamir khan. First off the acting was amazing. Aamir khan gave arguably the best performance of his career playing Phogat. He is the best actor in bollywood. Period. He shocked me by his transformation. I myself being a gym trainer knows the effort which goes in such kinda transformation. Without Aamir I don't think this movie could have achieved what it has. Sakshi Tanwar gave a great performance as his wife. The daughters Fatima n Sanya gave lovely performances. The  child actors were good too. The music was good. The direction by Tiwari was the best of 2016. This movie was never boring and full credit shud go to the director. The cinematography gave you a feeling as if what you are watching is real. The village was captured well. Overall you don't have to like wrestling or know wrestling to appreciate this movie. Its a wonderful movie. The movie is written very well. Superb screenplay n crispy editing.
  • ridinbal22 December 2016
    Movie of the year. Its much better than sultan in terms of everything and script here worked out well
    "Direction was superb and Aamir's performance was excellent. A compelling narrative based on true story with a powerful message for women" My rating- 4.5/5 (Movie of the year and don't miss this flick)

Positives- 1.)Direction and screenplay- Direction and screenplay didn't bore us and we were glued to the seats as it was so engaging and entertaining.

2.)Aamir khan , Zaira (young Geeta), Fathima (geeta) , suhani (young babitha), sanya(babitha) and fathima (mother)- Everyone's performance was excellent. Amir's hardwork and dedication for this role can be seen through his performance. He once again proved to be Mr perfectionist. All girls who acted as daughters were very good and they portrayed their roles without any problems.

3.)Songs and bg score- Special mention for title song. Title song was great and suited the movie well. Hats off to Pritam and he once again proved that he is the best music director of bollywood.

4.) Cinematography and edits- Cinematographer captured wrestling scenes very well and edits of certain scenes were good.

5.)Strong message for women

Negatives- (NO NEGATIVES)

Is it a must watch? Yes!!! and watch it in theaters to get the feel.

Overall- This is the best Christmas treat for everyone from dangal team. This has Aamir Khan's best performance till date. And the major one is that it has strong message for women. Yes its a must watch movie and don't miss this flick!! My rating- 4.5/5 (Movie of the year and don't miss this movie)

For more reviews go to- ridinbal movie reviews. Ridin bal movie reviews has all language movie reviews(Malayalam,English,Telugu,Kannada,Tamil,Arabic,Hindi,Iranian)
  • dineshprakash22 December 2016
    Ultimate triumph
    Director Mr. Nitesh Tiwari work is so brilliant that after few minutes, you just forget that you are watching film. You simply start witnessing the journey of Phogat's family. Makers are so confident that they have even given credit for story idea to Divya Rao, which reflects their honesty. She is not in writing team but gets her due credit. There are four writers, Director himself, Piyush Gupta, Shreyas Jain and Nikhil Mehrotra and their work is fantastic. Screenplay is seamless and very balanced with much needed freshness. Film starts with glimpse of Mahavir Singh Phogat's passion for wrestling, while watching and challenging another district level arrogant winner, while commentary comes over on them which is fresh. When that person gets defeated he says 'Tumne district level pehlawan ko haraya hai' Then Mahavir Singh replies ' Tension mat le, tum national level champion se hare ho'. Words may be a bit different but meaning was same. Which gives strong idea that what level of dialogues you are going to listen and they have maintained the graph. Dialogues just nourish your senses, inducing correct emotions. A simple scene where protagonist massages feet of his sleeping daughter, clearly reflects that he is just not a ruthless coach but a caring father too. Girls curse their father in front of their friend who is getting married, then that girl emotional words about her feeling towards their caring father is very cute, emotional and enough to make girls realize that what they are taking for granted. Best part of this film is it's continues ascending graph in every aspect. First half is cute, funny with subtle dose of emotions. Second half takes this graph to the horizon. Full of emotions, either it is of defeat, victory or relations. Another major plus point is the way they have shown wrestling. I dint know a bit of it but I enjoyed all wrestling matches like it was my favorite game and that is major chunk of film. Hats off to the team behind wresting choreography .Though you have basic idea of film happenings but still they kept you engrossed by presentation. Climax comes with a very strong message that one can train you but only you have to implement the techniques, which makes you true winner and enriches self confident. Performance makes you thunderstruck. Words can not justify or compliment, Amir Khan's performance as Mahavir Singh Phogat. Zaira Waseem as younger Geeta is brilliant. She is so good that when Fatima Sana Sheikh takes over as grown up Geeta, you miss younger one but soon Fatima proves that she has taken the graph far ahead. Same happens with younger Babita played by Suhani Bhatnagar and grown up by Sanya Malhotra. Skashi Tanwar as wife of Mahavir Singh is very good. Girish Kulkarni , who had played coach is superb, you do hate his character but love his performance. Actor, who played younger cousin of Geeta and even grown up one, both actors are cute and endearing. Kudos to casting director Mukesh Chhabra and team. Music by Pritam and lyrics by Amitabh Bhattacharya, are integral part of this film. Without any formulated track you just enjoy every song and your eyes get mois in one too.
  • Aditya Pai22 December 2016
    Very Nice Movie
    Excellent movie. Stellar performance by Aamir Khan. Movie of the year. The girls - kids and the grown ups portrayed their role very well. Special mention should be given to Nitesh Tiwari - the director. Music by Pritam is good. The cinematography is nice. The story telling is superb. Overall very nice movie. Watch this movie for Aamir Khan. Hands down to Aamir. His role as Mahavir Singh Phogat will be marked as one of his best. This film will come as one of the best sports films based on the life of coach after Chak De and Iqbal. I strongly recommend this film. Wish other actors think like how Aamir Khan thinks. He is brilliant actor. That makes him special and perfectionist. My rating 10/10.
  • Navid Akbar22 December 2016
    Simply Fantastic! Plot, acting, direction: mastery in all.
    Just came home after watching the premier show. It really is a masterpiece! A compelling narrative based on a true story. Add stellar acting performances and humor. Pour in cinematography, location, songs & meaningful lyrics. Voila! Everything amazingly fits together in a single string. Truly clean entertainment. In all sense of the word. Worth watching with family. A good movie should entertain. A great movie must connect. And connect, it did. I could almost feel as if I were there, throughout. The plot development is deep, and engaging. Did I mention the child actors, especially the one portraying Geeta? Outstanding performance by all. In a nutshell, my time & resources spent were fully worth. And Aamir Khan! Boy, he never disappoints. =)
  • Ryota Nakanishi5 October 2017
    The Asian Film of 2017! Thank you for the Crew and Casts! Great!
    Mahavir Singh Phogat teaches his two daughters to be international wrestling players of India! This is a simple and impressive story. And they finally defeat UK on the wrestling match.

I think this is India's 'Yip Man'! This kind of nationalism is healthy and is beneficial to all audiences without background considerations. The film length is also accurate. Growing courses of protagonists need 160 minutes. And emotional responses to their tragic mistakes are well described by the talented actors in detail. Audiences can fully engage in this film.

A lot of Asian audiences have bias against Indian films that their films are just dances and songs for two hours or more, however there is the perfect construction of story with minimalist use of songs and musics.

This quality is higher than any Japanese films of today! Indian filmmakers should keep this high quality of film content! It is competitive to Hollywood films.

Thank you!

10 out of 10!
  • faisalfaves23 December 2016
    Very Strong - A Must Watch 10/10
    Story: 9/10 A Very True inspiring story of former wrestler champion Mahavir Singh Phogat whose dream is to win a gold medal for India in wrestling. But he fails to achieve that, then He avow that his son will do it. However, he got disappointed when his wife gives birth to four daughters.

Music: 9/10 Amazing, Very touching background. Greatly Synced Title track will give you goosebumps

Direction: 9/10 Nitesh Tiwari achieved what he wanted, Got a new name, One of the best directors of Bollywood.

Acting: Aamir Khan: 10/10 This time as a father, He will amaze you in every scene. His acting skills are deeply great. Whenever I watch Aamir's movies, I feel his acting. He loves acting and entertaining the world since He came to the Film Industry.

Fatima Sana Shaikh: 9/10 Sometimes I still watch Chachi 420, because I love Kamal Hassan. And Fatima Sana Shaikh was the little girl in Chachi 420. Seriously I have seen her after Chachi 420. And after Dangal she will go so far.

Aamir Khan and the two lead actress are the best cast roles in a long time, but overall cast done an amazing job.

Dangal is humorous and Inspirational Journey.
  • Takethispunch22 December 2016
    The best Indian film. Deserves an Oscar. Do not miss this masterpiece.
    Mahavir Singh Phogat is a former champion wrestler. He is married to Shobha Kaur. Phogat's dream is to win a gold medal for India in wrestling. He is unable to do this. He promises that his son will do what he couldn't do. However, although he loves them dearly, Phogat is disappointed when Shobha gives birth to four daughters. He does not believe girls can wrestle well. However, when two of his daughters, Geeta and Babita, come home after beating up two boys, Phogat realises how wrong he has been and begins to train his daughters in wrestling. The film is the story of how Phogat trained his daughters to become professional wrestlers.
  • Ben Franklin23 December 2016
    Had me on the edge of my seat and in tears
    It's conceivable that a wrestling movie might have you on the edge of your seat, but who'd have thought it would bring tears to your eyes. Dangal does both in large doses. Right from the opening scenes through to the awesome climax, this is one movie that will keep you glued to the screen. I can't remember the last 3 hour movie (nearly) where absolutely nobody took a toilet break apart from in the intermission.

Everything about the movie is superb from the cinematography through to the script writing. The movie is superbly directed and there are so many stellar acting performances that it would be unfair to single anyone out.

One thing about sports movies is that the action can often seem staged, but the fight sequences in this movie are superbly done and brilliantly filmed.

Everyone knows an AK movie is going to be great, and this definitely doesn't disappoint.

A must watch.
  • madbhoot22 December 2016
    Must Watch for Every Film Lover!
    I got the privilege to watch this film earlier than the India release as I happen to live in North America. Thank you Disney! Now, what to say about 'Dangal'? It's not a typical Bollywood film, yet it is easily the best Bollywood film ever, even in terms of every, so called, Bollywood masala trick. The incredible storytelling, based on true events, every small detailing, amazing cast, the message it had without being preachy or pretentious but still powerful-there was not one single boring moment in the movie-well, probably one, if you are too picky!,though it is nearly three hours! Kudos to the director! And what to say about Aamir khan? Though he did not have any dramatic moment in the movie (those belong to the girls, who were fabulous by the way), he is not the charming usual boy next door, sexy or cheeky person(the traits which are generally associated with Aamir Khan); rather he is a brute, has a tummy for the majority length of the movie-yet you will not be able to keep him off your mind, even after the movie ends, and easily the best Aamir khan performance ever (and yes, I have seen every Aamir khan film, each a million time).
  • Nikil Krishnan28 December 2016
    labeled Based on a True Story but simply Fictionalized
    This movie proves that India is not yet ready for an honest biopic film. Although the film excelled in every other aspects such as acting, cinematography, special effects, music; especially MUSIC, But it couldn't capture the real aspect of the story of the wrestlers daughter and her sisters. We never get to know her enthusiasm towards wrestling. Was it her relationship with her father who imposed his dream of winning a gold on her? or her duty towards her nation to win it? or was it her own desire to never give up or lose to a competitive opposition to satisfy her own ego?

This film was heavily clichéd just for the purpose of entertaining the masses and clearly may have aggravated many characters who are related to this story. TOO much HYPE may have given this movie the attention that it pursued, and why not? this is business after all.

Much disappointed with the makers of the film for adulterating such an awesome script which may have had made everybody proud. Current IMDb score :9.2 with over 13k users. Where have we gone wrong?

Final verdict: Its a good watch, but one wouldn't rate this movie 9/10 unless he/she had any personal attachment towards the film. it has good social message/dialogues. An 8 would be too generous, hence I would rate it 6 or 7 out of 10.
  • Laura Elizabeth Gomez29 December 2016
    Beautiful Movie
    This is a MUST WATCH film. Deeply entertaining, Dangal manages to do what few other Bollywood movies have ever accomplished: move and inspire the audience. A beautiful true story with themes of family legacy, gender dynamics and expectations, courage, and the state of Indian sports - all of which are seamlessly sewn together in a film that, though almost 3 hours long, keeps you glued to your seat from beginning to end. Aamir Khan is excellent, but Dangal's highest triumph lies in the power and grit of the young actresses portraying Geeta and Babita, as well as their older counterparts (especially Fatima Sana Shaikh, who steals the show with her raw beauty and strength). The wrestling scenes are realistic and flawless, containing some of the best editing I've ever seen in a sports film.
  • lopamudrax23 December 2016
    What a staunch paunch and what a strong punch!?!?
    What a staunch paunch and what a strong punch!?!? That's what Dangal is. Simple, true, gritty, raw, real and determined.

Before coming to the name under whose name the film opens, let's first salute the actual person on who this is based on. Hats off Mr Phogat for being such an awesome person and father. Someone who saw the germ of gems within the girl child and didn't live in the fiefdom of monomania

The portrayals by each character that adorned the screen were meaningful and said it all. Even the eye movements and glances from Sakshi Tanwar replaced the unwarranted dialogue that would have taken its place.

All four girls depicting geeta and babita in both age brackets have done a tremendous job considering that they were untrained and this is not just one chick flick wherein just emotions would help them carry off a portrayal. This required both the mental as well as the physical strength and stamina and very importantly perseverance. In the earlier years Zaira took the cake, ate it as well as relished it in her depiction.

We have all by now seen KWK and heard the story of how Fatima and Sanya hid their injuries to be a part of the project and not be replaced. That's good learning in the art of method acting and what a good tutelage they have had. They are truly blessed to have a mentor in the form of the one and only Amir Khan.

And what do you say about him - Maestro's best performance yet. It's truly worth the wait for an Amir film as when he comes he ensures that you are witness to the best that the world has to offer. He has taken the form of acting to a different level. The kusti between him and his daughter were specially telling. It spoke reams of each of their insecurities, their wants and aspirations.

They say a picture says a thousand words, well this one just spoke an omnibus.
  • pragnamohapatra23 December 2016
    Amir's Best
    What it would have felt to light up the fire for the first time ... what it would have felt to each individual who chose to break the stereotype. How it would have felt to fight against the stereotype and launch Geeta and Babita into the wrestling arena that too in Haryana. The journey of a dream, the journey of an aspiration journey of a father and journey of two brave girls from the small village of Haryana to become the IKON of Indian National women wrestling. If you are movie goer like me, it is high time that you go line up in a theater near you and watch #DANGAL. Now a day amidst nudity, cheapness and useless love stories very rare to see people clap for a movie, that too in the US it is never easy to get the audience to clap. You will be thrilled to take the journey with Amir as a father. you will be on the edge of your seat for many scenes. you will come out of the theater inspired. Amir thanks for #Dangal, irrespective of insensitive remarks against India I opt to pay for your movie and really thankful that I did watch your tribute to Geeta, Babita, and Mahavir Singh Phogat.
  • adutta-198024 December 2016
    Sometimes some experiences cease to be a movie. They become much more.
    There are times when you are watching a movie and it ceases to be one; because you become a part of it. You become so integrated with what's happening that you start living every moment, every character. You feel invested in the motivations and its outcomes.

I don't know if Dangal is the best sports movie India has ever produced but it's right up there; and then it's so much more than that. It's not an Aamir Khan movie. In fact, Aamir Khan isn't there in the movie; instead there's a character named Mahavir Singh Phogat who is obsessive about winning International fame for his country. And then there are his daughters: to whom the movie belongs. No one could have played the characters better than what you see on screen.

For once, the Supreme Court order wont cross your mind while standing up for the National Anthem at the cinemas; you will do it because you feel like a proud Indian at the end.
  • jaffaramreen22 December 2016
    Excellent Movie
    I watched the movie on Day 1 Amazing Movie Superb Acting by My Perfectionist Amer Khan Dialogue Delivery Script Direction Acting by the Girls is just amazing. Best Movie of the Year.From the beginning and till the end of the Movie I was on the Edge of my seat. Funny moments and the dialogue timings are just perfect which makes you laugh louder the whole audience was laughing. And the Emotional moments were just perfect. Beautifully written Lines and perfectly acted by the girls. You will fall in love with the movie. It's a perfect New Year and Christmas Gift for the audience. The Whole family should go to watch the movie of the Year.
  • aeykeay1 January 2017
    Over-hyped by Patriots .. Average Movie......Nowhere near what everyone is making it out to be.
    Story : Good Screenplay : Good Direction: Average Actors: All acted ordinarily except Aamir who was above average due to few heart touching scenes. Music: Effective/Good

Too much hype by patriots not knowing a good movie from a bad, who are simply echoing the same words uttered by the bollywood celebs for their friend Aamir. I felt the movie was very predictable with lots of scenes were altered from reality for entertainment purposes. Yes it has emotions, comedy, action etc. but is not a true movie at all except a few scenes such as fight sequences. I believe a lot of people are just going to watch this due to the word of mouth coming from other bollywood celebs promoting the movie left right and centre. The whole of India if not the world had more time at their hands due to the holiday season and everyone from marketing team to film producers, directors, actors, friends, media just went all out promoting this movie for Aamir and his production house and all they did is enjoyed people spending their hard earned moola on this average movie.
  • Ted Ma20 May 2017
    Best wrestling movie ever
    It is a big step for India to produce such a movie to show discrimination against women.Even the father didn't follow the mind of his daughters, he still did something to free women from being limited by outdated conventions although he did things out of love for wrestling.I agree with the father's behavior like his daughters because I grew up in such a circumstance(not such a family).In Asia, we respect our eldership and follow their instructions.I didn't get bored during the whole movie because of its good pace.Wrestling is not really interesting to me in real life.But the sequences of wrestling scenes in the movie fascinated me a lot and they aren't repetitive at all.Aamir Khan is a great actor which you can see from his different shapes in this movie.In summary, it is a good movie that you shouldn't miss in theaters.I am practicing my English by writing movie comments.Thank you for tolerating my terrible grammar.
  • rbibaner23 December 2016
    Hats off "Dangal", Mr. Perfectionist's "Dhaakad"
    An excellent movie. Outstanding performance by Aamir Khan. Best Movie of the year. The girls (both kids and the grown ups) established their role very well. Special mention should be given to Nitesh Tiwari - the director. Music by Pritam is good. The cinematography is nice. The story telling is excellent. Overall a very inspiring movie. Watch this movie for Aamir Khan. Hands down to Aamir. His role as a wrestler/coach Mahavir Singh Phogat will be marked as one of his best. This film will come as one of the best sports films based on the life of coach after Chak De and Iqbal. I strongly recommend this film. In India other actors should think like how Aamir Khan thinks. He is a brilliant actor and his unique thoughts makes him special and perfectionist. I give Dangal 10/10. Really "Dhaakad Hai".
  • Bezdomnyi3 July 2017
    Come On
    Yes, Indian films are a breed of their own, but ranking the film as high as top 250 all time - better than Vertigo for instance - is pure ridicule.

The drama follows the Rocky saga, after difficulties a winner emerges. There is nothing new to the genre, there is nothing surprising and it is all so predictable from the very beginning. The acting is usual childish Indian - good, but yet the storyline is so thin...

...there a honestly better Indian films (like Wednesday or 3 idiots) where the story line is more unique - and includes better music with the ever beloved Indian dance scenes.

I wish IMDb would introduce a regional voting - keeping these films out of Top 250.
  • sbaner23 December 2016
    Aamir and girls proved their "Dhaakad"
    An inspiring movie that shows the rise of female-power and dreams from the society in which girls are considered as backward. This movie is on the life and struggles of ex-wrestler cum coach Mahavir Singh Phogat and his two daughters Geeta & Babita to follow in his footsteps and become world-class wrestlers. Aamir was outstanding in his role as Mahavir Singh Phogat. The girls (both in young ages and when grown up) were good in their performances. The storytelling was quite appreciable as well as its cinematography. Another credit goes to Nitesh Tiwari, the director. This movie seems to be the greatest gift of the year by Bollywood. Aamir Khan will be reminded for his performance like he is in his other movies.Finally Mr.Perfectionist with his girls has proved their "Dhaakad".