User Reviews (115)

• "Wild Rose" is perhaps a little formulaic, but I really liked the message it lands on at the end, which is that life is a series of compromises, and while few of us will ultimately achieve our dreams (if we have any to begin with), the alternative is not necessarily a life of dullness and misery.

No, despite what movies would have us believe, there is something in between. "Wild Rose" wraps things up a bit too patly -- in my actual personal experience I have not seen people as selfish as this film's heroine is suddenly turn things around and re-order her priorities. But it's nice to think that it's possible, and this is one of those films that reminds me that sometimes I turn to movies not to show me how things actually are, but how things could be.

Jessie Buckley is phenomenal in the title role. It takes a special actress to make a pretty unlikable character sympathetic and worth two hours of your time. Julie Walters is also wonderful as her fed up mom. Sophie Okonedo is stuck playing the film's most unrealistic character, a woman who is simply too good to be true.

I also liked that this movie, even if cursorily, examines the gulf that exists between people's romanticized perceptions of the entertainment world and the harsh realities of it. Anyone with an ounce of talent thinks they're special and the entire world will recognize it if they can just get their break. The reality is that talented people grow on trees, and you're most likely going nowhere if you don't know the right people and how to play the game.

Grade: A-
  • Xstal30 April 2020
    I've struggled to conjure sufficient praiseworthy adjectives to describe this movie but ultimately they would all relate to the sublime Jessie Buckley who provides us with a 'to die for' performance that takes your breath away and leaves you absolutely astounded and in awe that such talent exists - absolutely outstanding!
  • A young Scottish woman comes out of prison with the firm intention of fulfilling her dream and becoming a country singer in Nashville, Tennessee. Despite a bank account desperately empty. Despite two very young children she pathetically neglects.

The frontier between stubbornness and motivation is often very blurred and it is only a posteriori that one can judge, even if many external factors, perceptible or not, can influence the course of events. And, without unduly spoiling the script, I was expecting a sad ending. Moreover, the atmosphere of Wild Rose (2018) quite often resembles those of Ken Loach's films with this inevitability that seems inescapable.

A very pleasant surprise!
  • BAFTA named Jessie Buckley as one of their "Rising Stars" for 2019, and here she proves why.

Buckley plays Glaswegian Rose-Lynn Harlan, a decidedly wild child electronically tagged and released from the clink but straight down to some very public cowgirl sex with her erstwhile boyfriend. Only then does she have the afterthought of going round to the house of her Mum (Julie Walters) where two young children live. For Rose-Lynn is a single mum of two (#needs-to-be-more-careful-with-the-cowgirl-stuff), and the emotional damage metered out to the youngsters from her wayward life is fully evident.

Rose-Lynn is a frustrated 'country-and-weste'... no, sorry... just 'western' singer, and she has a talent for bringing the house down in Glasgow during a show. The desire to 'make it big' in Nashville is bordering on obsession, and nothing - not her mum, not her children, nothing - will get in her way.

Rose-Lynn has no idea how to make her dream come true. (And no, she doesn't bump into Bradley Cooper at this point). But things look up when she lies her way to a cleaning job for the middle class Susannah (Sophie Okonedo) who sees the talent in her and comes up with a couple of innovative ways to move her in the right direction.

Will she get out of her Glasgow poverty trap and rise to fame and fortune as a Nashville star?

Rose-Lynn is not an easy character to like. She is borderline sociopathic and has a self-centred selfish streak a mile wide. As she tramples all over her offspring's young lives, breaking each and every promise like clockwork, then you just want to shout at her and give her a good shaking. It's a difficult line for the film to walk (did the ghost of Johnny Cash make me write that?) and it only barely walks it unscathed.

A key shout-out needs to go to director Tom Harper ("Woman in Black 2", and the TV epic "War and Peace") and his cinematographer of choice George Steel. Some of the angles and framed shots are exquisitely done. A fantastic dance sequence through Susannah's house (the best since Hugh Grant's No. 10 "Jump" in "Love Actually") reveals the associated imaginary musicians in various alcoves reminiscent of the drummer in "Birdman". And there are a couple of great drone shots: one (no spoilers) showing Rose-Lynn leaving a party is particularly effective.

The camera simply loves Jessie Buckley. She delivers real energy in the good times and real pathos in the bad. She can - assuming it's her performing - also sing! (No surprise since she was, you might remember, runner up to Jodie Prenger in the BBC search for a "Maria" for Lloyd Webber's "Sound of Music"). She is certainly one to watch on the acting stage.

Supporting Buckley in prime roles are national treasure Julie Walters, effecting an impressive Glaswegian accent, and Sophie Okonedo, who is one of those well-known faces from TV that you can never quite place. BBC Radio 2's Bob Harris also turns up as himself, being marvellously unconvincing as an actor!

But I don't like country music you might say? Frankly neither do I. But it hardly matters. As long as you don't ABSOLUTELY LOATHE it, I predict you'll tolerate the tunes and enjoy the movie. Followers of this blog might remember that - against the general trend - I was highly unimpressed with "A Star is Born". This movie I enjoyed far, far more.

(For the full graphical review please visit One Mann's Movies on the web or Facebook. Thanks).
  • sweidman-2801626 August 2019
    Wild Rose Review:

Wild Rose tells the complicated story of Rose-Lynn (Jessie Buckley), a Scottish woman on a quest to become a country music star in Nashville, while also grappling with the responsibilities of being recently released from prison and a young mother of two children. Firstly I'd like to apologize for how late this review is. It's been a very busy week and now is my chance. For the second film for the Inaugural Northwoods Film Festival, Wild Rose was chosen for a screening. This came out back in June. I debated on going to see it at some point but there was no time since I'd have to drive two hours to go and see it. I'm so happy to have seen this. Wild Rose is one of the best films of the year. It's such an interesting screenplay and inspiring. Jessie Buckley's character of Rose-Lynn is a very complex character. She has her dreams but is restrained with the stresses and disappointments of life. She's also not afraid to hide her true self. I'm very confused why Buckley hasn't really been talked about in the Oscar race for later this year. On Gold Derby I've been checking daily on my Oscar nominations predictions (yes I'm already doing that and so are many people). Jessie Buckley isn't even listed as an option for the nominations so I can't even put her on my list for Best Actress. She's absolutely amazing. Definitely in my top five for best performances of the year. She's also a really good singer. The songs in the film are very good and on my mind. In particular one of the later original songs called Glasgow is brilliant. I really hope it can get into Best Original Song. The scene with that song is also just so emotional and brought tears to my eyes. I purposely decided not to listen to it until I saw the film. Listen to this song! For other performances, Julie Walters plays Rose-Lynn's mother and brings another strong performance. Her scenes with Buckley are very good. Their conflicting views bring for an interesting plot and great scenes. Sophie Okonedo plays Suzannah, the woman who Rose-Lynn works for as a maid. She was so enjoyable to watch and it just made me happy that she was actually interested in trying to help her with her career. I loved her. It's just a shame that when an event happens she's kind of out of the film for a while and nothing much with her anymore. I wish they had a little bit with her when she's back again. The acting in this is just superb! The screenplay by Nicole Taylor is very good. The only thing I'd say is some parts I could just tell how they would play out but I still liked it. Side note: I don't know if this was written in the script but sometimes when Rose-Lynn was singing by herself we'd get beautiful cinematography showing her singing, walking around and people were just playing instruments in the background. That was just a perfect way to see her view. If it wasn't in the screenplay then Tom Harper had a beautiful vision with his amazing directing. This is an overlooked film this year in my opinion. I don't want to spoil anything else. Everyone in our audience just adored it. The two people I saw it with really liked it as well. Here's some comments from Landen Alft who thought this was a perfect A+ film: Amazing acting, emotion and comedy. Amazing cinematography especially the singing scene in the house with the band appearing. Amazing everything. Definitely check this out when it comes out on digital and blu ray. I just really hope it's considered in the award race.

My Grade: A-
  • For a long time I always said that crime thrillers were my favorite genre, but it's becoming increasingly clear that music based movies have overtaken that genre with the new release of Wild Rose. A movie that will inevitably (but unfairly) be compared to 2018's A Star is Born because of the subject matter, but it tells a different story about a musicians dream to be a star. Starring the up and comer Jessie Buckley, Wild Rose is a hard edge but sweetly rounded coming of age tale of a single mother who dreams of leaving Glasgow for Nashville, because she believes it's the only place where she can become a country music star. For someone who doesn't like country music (and that's being kind), I was instantly entranced by Buckley's voice and the catchy but emotionally resonant songs throughout the feature. And much like her work in last year's 'Beast', Buckley proves she is someone to be reckoned with, and through her performance as Rose, that there's simply no place like home.

9.7/10
  • Rubyowl19 January 2020
    All the cast are great but Jessie Buckley is superb, portrayed a character which at times you could sympathise with, shake your head in disbelief and at the same time be urging her from the seat of your armchair to go for it! "Peace in this house" had me sobbing, the notes that Jessie hits, her tone beautiful. Dried my eyes and composed myself for the rest of the film and then left wiping my eyes again at the end of the last long; "Glasgow (no place like home)". Just wow!
  • The whole story was excellently portrayed. Buckley excels both vocally and portraying the problems of so many in similar positions. It has ups and downs and doesn't shy away from challenging issues nor glorify them. Julie Walters alongside Buckley was perfect also. Although their greatness on set did outshine most of the supporting cast who had a daytime cheap tv drama feel about them although this did not take to much away. Also anything involving whispering Bob Harris has to be worth seeing. A feel good romp of a film.
  • The main character is a foul-mouthed impulsive hard-drinking ex-con neglectful mother of two with delusions of making it big in Nashville. She somehow is also a sympathetic character, and is beautifully played by Jessie Buckley. You might need subtitles occasionally to catch the full Glaswegian abuse and humour she manages to spout out. Other standouts are her two little children - remarkable performances by both - and a pretty impressive bit of character acting by Julie Walters as her despairing mum - complete with what sounded a decent accent, if a Sassenach can judge that. As for the music and the plot.... it does the job but for me only occasionally hit the real emotional spot.
    Ok, I'll prefix this with a strange one, all acting was great, they all played their part however the story or lack of one for me made this a really hard to enjoy film.

To me these type of films have the big moment where the hardness falls away and you endear to the characters decision to be a better person or do the right thing, this didn't really happen. Everything was badly written to just get the character from a to be to c for the storyline.

A key issue was the fact she is massively hard to like, all the bland journalism reviews of raw etc are semi true, we don't know her life beyond her being banged up for getting hammered and throwing drugs into a prison so without a real back story bar being from the poorer side of the spectrum she is just an a hole. She's not someone likeable, she's ungrateful to the ridiculous character making her dreams come true for no reason, she lets her down yet is forgiven. She at no point became the good person! She improved slightly at things she should've been doing before. Without a huge hard knocks back story she just really is a brat. A common selfish person who says things that you can't justify, weren't done for any other reason than selfishness. Terrible mother and at no point bar a hug really ever seems to care about the kids, even the crying speech was guilt not realisation.

The woman she cleaned for inexplicably gave her an in to the one country music guy in the country, how lucky, bought her an expensive train ticket then offered to raise 5k to get her to USA, what awful writing, no rhyme no reason, the lead was rude and swore in front of her kids, stole alcohol, drunk at work and really did very little if anything to create a bond to justify that benevolence. It is just lazy and extremely frustrating, just a tweak to get her more likeable would of made than more realistic. Again with her mom giving her money, felt forced and a huge flip on character to necessitate the story rather than follow a plot.

The story overall is there isn't one, she's a selfish ex con who cares very little about her kids, gets an in with a music guy which realistically adds nothing to her career, gets two ways in to Nashville, goes and again gets very little from the experience. To go home to sing in front of the home town about how there's nothing like home. She clearly hates Glasgow yet again flips and loves it.

I hate how these films get reviewed on silly things when on basics they're awful, it lacks heart, character chemistry is none existent between absolutely all characters, not one relationship felt real, poor child actors, Julie was class as always. Accents too hard to understand clearly even on loud volume.

It's extremely dull, heartless and not funny at all, at no point do you want her to succeed, I actually hated her, she's got a great voice and plays the part but the part sucks! It's literally a pointless pointless film. I was so excited as musical films are a love of mine, fisherman friends was class.

With tweaks this could've been an epic, I feel they tried to not be super conventional and do it slightly differently but to me it killed the key points to make this sort of film a success, overrated hugely.
  • The best movie of the year : I'm still buzzing after the preview.

Uplifting movie that embraces the human spirit. What going to the cinema is all about.
  • The story isn't that original in concept and has some minor pacing issues, but it also has a lot of depth as it shows the struggle to balance your dreams with your responsibilities. It has plenty of heart and toe tapping country music which keeps it entertaining and enjoyable throughout, although I felt a bit more could have been done with Glasgow and Nashville's cultures and settings.
  • Wild Rose 🥀 a film about Country and Western music . 3 chords and the truth. Singer as to choose between her kids or her dream of being a country singer ( not western) lead actor Jessie Buckley is great , real star quality. The music is incidental really. It's a film about relationship, mum n her kids , mother and daughter . It's not a classic but it's a decent film and well worth viewing 6/10
  • jadecalvert-2162120 February 2019
    For once a film with an amazing lead singer! Watched it screen unseen with odeon and so glad we did! Really enjoyed!
  • Wild Rose is not a movie I'd ever watch, but I did! As part of the Odeons 'screen unseen', you pay £5 to watch an unreleased film, but you don't know what it is untill it starts. They're always excellent films. Wild rose was no exception. But it does have flaws.

Positives: The lead, Jessie Buckley is really strong. At times she's so strong that other actors looked really weak. For the most part the supporting actors somewhat let the film down. But Buckley is the star attraction anyway.

The soundtrack is really good and won't be too obvious to most people. Buckley's voice is ecstasy at times. Especially in a cinema theater.

The film is smarter than it appears. There was a jarring moment in which the whole film suddenly feels as though a different director has taken over. From that moment I felt the quality of the film really took of and was rather enjoyable.

Weaknesses: The first 20 minutes is marred by awful, cringy British comedy. Not the good kind. Just bad.

Supporting cast are at times, shocking.

Sophie Okonedo demolished her character with almost childish emotion. Her character is on the edge of believable. But the writing didn't allow for much relationship development. Sophie really had to nail her scenes to make it work and she just isn't up to the task.

You can tell the writers are up against it at times.

But that I felt emotional at the conclusion really sums up that the film is at least powerful enough to worth watching.
    Rose-Lyn Harlan is an unpleasant woman who had 2 kids (whom she neglects horribly) before she was 18, who dreams of going to Nashville to be a 'country music star', and who resembles, both physically and musically (though not emotionally), Suzi Quatro, the 1970's pop singer. She also has a lot of good luck (and sponsors), otherwise this film would have no point. Her voice is good (not exceptional), but the music is very dated indeed.

She's released on a tag from prison after a year. Luckily, she's been the main draw at Glasgow's Grand Ole Opry (it really exists) since she was 14, despite fitting in two children. Luckily, her solicitor gets her tag removed so she can do evening gigs. Luckily, the Opry is packed all the time, which isn't my experience of it.

Luckily, she still has an eight-piece band, consisting of grizzled pensioners. Luckily, no-one minds when she storms the stage and takes the mic off the guy who's performing to the grizzled Glaswegian line-dancers.

She does manage to blow the gig, however. But it's really good luck in disguise, because:

Luckily, she gets a job as a cleaner with an extremely rich woman who has connections to BBC radio. Luckily, world-famous BBC DJ and country music expert Bob Harris (playing himself, woodenly) wants to meet her, so her employer gets her a first-class Virgin rail ticket to London (£244), and also luckily arranges for Rose to play at her own 50th birthday as a fundraiser to get her to Nashville. The band rehearses for a week at the Glasgow Opry. I don't know who pays for this.

When that gig goes belly up because Rose has forgotten to arrange childcare in advance, luckily her mother, who works in a bakery, gives her a large envelope full of money to go to Nashville anyway, despite having been completely opposed to her career up till then. Julie Walters, almost managing a believable Glasgow accent - which isn't easy for a non-Glaswegian.

Luckily, the USA seems to waive any checks on her criminal record to allow her into the country, despite her still being on licence from her prison sentence for handling class A drugs.

When she returns, she luckily gets a gig at the Celtic Connections 'festival', despite it being tied up tighter than a drum to non-Glasgow acts. Luckily, world-famous DJ Bob Harris from BBC radio attends, as do all her family and friends, and the eight-piece band, and it turns out to be the gig of the century, despite her singing a tiny bit flat. Luckily, everyone forgives her total selfishness from the start.

Wild Rose simply introduces one problem for Rose after another, only for it to magically dissolve and have an optimal outcome. There's enough happening for the movie to keep you watching, but ultimately it's about as realistic as The Wizard of Oz, despite being a kind of Glasgow travelogue (with very unsubtle sponsor placement throughout).
  • A brilliant Film 4 movie with an amazing soundtrack! Jessie Buckley is truly one of the greatest actresses of today!
  • antique-modern18 September 2019
    The end really had me in tears...Its a very feel good movie. Home Sweet Home.
  • A thoroughly good film with an exceptional performance from the lead jessie Buckley, a star in the making, solid back up performances from sophie okenedo and the always brilliant julie Walters It may be a little predictable but the music is great, and I'm not really a fan of country music, it's like a gritty version of a star is born, with a lot of swearing, but a very enjoyable way to spend a couple of hours
  • Having just watched Wild Rose as part of a Mothers Day early preview screening I was blown away by the soon to be superstar talent of Jessie Buckley. This woman can act and sing and knock your socks off doing both. You want to smack her and then hug her. Hugely strong support from the legendary Julie Walters and two adorable children and a fantastic soundtrack. This film is a must see. As we left in tears, the audience were also wiping their eyes. Outstanding.
  • Great movie, great acting and great music. Jessie Buckley is a beautiful, talented actress.
  • catstaples13 April 2019
    This is a great movie. The acting from Jessie Buckley and Julie Walters is first rate. I had a lump in my throat the whole way through as the movie sensitively and accurately shows their relationships. It's the best film I've seen this year.
  • I've definitely tired of the glut of films about a recording artist who lets fame ruin them, so I guess I have to hand it to Wild Rose, because it takes a somewhat different path. Instead of watching her career drive her to drugs, alcohol, and irresponsibility, she starts out hooked on all that stuff. That's right, she is already a frustrating character that you kind of dislike from the first scene (when she's being released from jail.) Needless to say her career takes a somewhat different path as she seeks a career as a country singer, which isn't exactly the most common genre of music in Scotland. It took a long time for this movie to get me on the side of Rose, which I think is a problem when you're trying to center the entire film on her life. Even when she starts to get things right, it seems she is still misguided and making terrible decisions.

The final act of Wild Rose is what won me over. It is here that I saw the kind of story about a singer that I'd like to see more often. Instead of being completely torn down by the career in making music, she finds strength in it, and a balance in her life. I also appreciated the way reality struck in Wild Rose. There were a couple opportunities to head towards a storybook ending, but this movie shows how difficult making it in the real world can be. I was emotionally invested in this journey late in the film, and suddenly I cared, where before I was indifferent towards the character. It certainly helped that Jessie Buckley has an amazing singing voice. Any time she opened up and sang I was excited. She has a true talent for singing that might be even better than her acting skill. While Wild Rose might not be the greatest movie I've seen in this genre, at least it took a different path than all the others.
  • Jessie Buckley ("Rose-Lynn") is convincing in this story of grim determination, selfishness and - ultimately - compromise. Released from a Glasgow prison on licence after a conviction for possessing heroine; she returns to her mother (Dame Julie Walters) who has been babysitting her two young children - but her mind is in other things. Ever since she was a bairn, she has dreamt of being a country star, and is determined to get to Nashville. This leads to constant friction with her mother who just wants her to settle down and look after her weans. When she gets a job as a cleaning lady, she begins to imagine that her dream might come true when her employer offers to let her do a gig in the garden for her well-heeled friends to raise the money for the trip. Sadly, things conspire against her; the gig falls through - and her trip looks doomed until help comes from an unexpected source and away she goes. The story is all a wee bit procedural; but the acting - from both ladies - is not; there is something visceral about Buckley here that transcends the usual hard-luck story depiction and Walters is great as the conflicted grandmother who wants the best for everyone. The soundtrack proves another impressive string to Buckley's bow and there is a nice cameo appearance from UK broadcasting legend Bob Harris.
  • A down to earth realistic , good and bad story with genuine actors (especially the main actor) who are destined to be stars. Bravo