User Reviews (332)

• In a world dominated by stupid sequels, prequels and remakes it is film/anime like this that restores hope in today's entertainment.

Not only it is emotional and feels real, it delivers a relevant message. I love the imagination and palette but also appreciate that it aims to remind us of social issues that we should be paying attention to.

The only reason I don't give our heroes and their story a 10/10 is that I still feel a couple of Miyazaki movies (like Kiki, Chihiro and the racoon dogs) were just that much better and showed a little more imagination.

Whatever the case I live in fear of the Hollywood announced remake by Hollywood hack JJ Abrams who has never shown any talent or vision. As with others I will ignore and boycott that coming insult and always cherish kimi no na wa.
  • From an anime nonetheless.

Much has been said about this great animation and most of it is true. It is beautiful, tender, modern (watch the film and you will understand) and makes human love interesting again.

With that said, it is too bad that Hollywood has picked this up. Not that I will be watching that remake, but I cringe already at the thought of Hollywood hack and remake specialist giving this an American swirl. All the cliches of bad remaking and safe corporate changes will be applied. Aaaarrrggghh
  • Your Name is just a good movie. This movie felt long, but not too long. All the way through, I was asking what would happen next. It was clever, emotional, and left me crying after the movie. The twist was done really well, and I almost wanted to pause the movie. Also, the animation is gorgeous. You get to see detailed images from many angles and perspectives, and there were hundreds of animators! The credits didn't start out with the cast like it usually would. The first thing you saw after a black screen was hundreds of names of animators and designers. I watched this movie again and I still felt my muscles ready to let tears out. I would not recommend this movie any less than the next guy, so what are you waiting for? Get a couple of friends and watch Your Name!
  • qpv-7048027 May 2018
    This anime is just superb. It is one of those moments when a rare absorbing story, beautiful locale and art come together. It deserves all the praise it is receiving.

With success comes cash hounds and mercenaries of course. Worst of them all is JJ Abrams from Hollywood. He has been given the task of remaking Kimi No Na Wa. OH NO! The feeling will disappear, the underlying sense of humanity will disappear, the story will be set in (I am guessing) Dallas Texas or some similar dump, the girl will be wearing long prairie skirt like a good Jewish girl and we will all ask why didn't Hollywood learn a lesson from the American remake of Ghost In The Shell which was a mess?

Sigh. It makes me depressed that money is so important in this world.
  • Beauty, Mystery and Creativity, don't they?

I am scared for the day Jar Jar Abrams and Kathleen Kennedy get hold of this and make the hero a Disney princess and bore all our pants off.

before Disney gives Kimi No Na Wa the Ghost In The Shell treatment get hold of this original and beautiful film. I guarantee you the girl is not Melissa McCarthy and doesn't have body issues.
  • A good anime that has a message, interesting characters, authenticity despite retelling a niche sub-genre story. The work that has gone into and the originality are appreciated. What was less impressive was the stoic reactions and matter-of-fact behaviours. With that said this is quite an accomplishment and I know that with the announced Hollywood remake we the fans need to boycott the coming movie. Hollywood has to learn that their predatory attack on anything popular for their infamous remake series will not be tolerated. Look how they mocked Ghost In The Shell (rolling my eyes as I write).
  • But I really came here to ask fans of the story, the animation and the feeling to boycott Jar Jar Abrams' version. As we all know the Hollywood hack remaker was given a contract to make an 'American version' of Your Name. Please boycott it. Do not watch it. Certainly do not pay to go to the theater to watch it. Send a message.

Kimi No Na Wa was emotional and entertaining and the legacy should be preserved.
  • In truth, the most competitive area of fiction is not invasions from outer space or talking dogs or impossible missions but rather the most basic narrative of all, the love story.

And this is also the most overcrowded field, and the most difficult to do right.

This film, this story, is extraordinary. It reminds me of MY SASSY GIRL, a love story from Asia that captured the imagination of the world and has almost become a franchise, it's been copied so many times.

It also brings to mind Richard Matheson's classic BID TIME RETURN, another love story for the ages that uses time juxtaposition. (Done as the movie SOMEWHERE IN TIME, 1980).

I already gave this the highest rating on the IMDb.

The animation is stunning and complimentary to this one-of-a-kind tale.

All things considered, I would like to avoid the ongoing arguments about which Japanese animation studio is better, or worse, than the other.

I prefer to simply be grateful that Japanese anime exists at all, because I cannot imagine any other country producing something this moving, this powerful, in graphic form.
  • yannickd7 September 2016
    I went in to see Kimi no Na ha without knowing anything about the movie. I had simply been intrigued by the movie poster with the comet as a background to two high school students living in wildly different environments - and the excellent reviews on its Friday release convinced me to see it just the day after.

Not knowing anything about the movie made me relish every single moment of it. The two main characters would, it seems, never have the occasion to meet each other, but through a mysterious circumstance are led to share some of their waking hours with each other. At first, the movie struck a compelling, funny and nostalgic view at high school life in Japan, love, friendship, puberty, teenage angst and some elements of mysticism. It felt like a very fresh and charming sentimental love comedy with a dash of depth and teenage angst. And it already utterly captured me at that point.

Yet midway, the movie veers resolutely into dramatic, and more mystical territory, while managing to keep the lighthearted tone it had reached during the first half at just the right moments. Together with one of the main characters, I was shocked and powerless upon learning of one aspect that had eluded both protagonists, as well as the audience. At the same time, a trope often used in science-fiction got thrown into the mix and the stakes suddenly get much higher, making me look back to the first half of the movie and thinking "wwwooooowww I get it now", while following the paths of the protagonists, which, just like the Kumi Himo (thread making?) that Miyamizu Shrine makes, represent time itself. Meeting, diverging, tangling, getting cut, doubling back. The second half of the film is a perfect adventure, full of suspense, humor, hope, and yes, tears. And at some points, it gets close to tragedy (one scene in a train left a huge lump in my throat). In some respect it reminded me of Spirited Away (my long time favorite animation movie), in which both main characters grow thanks to the other, and whose paths had crossed and would cross again, beyond memory or reality.

Saying more would spoil the movie, so I have been very, very vague. Suffice it to say the movie made me laugh, cry, get the goosebumps, and got me to the edge of my seat at some points. It really had great storytelling, pacing, characters, and emotions throughout. I loved it.

The visuals were also gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous. Tokyo is more real than the real Tokyo, and the director, animators, background artists, and computer artists seem to have devilish fun playing with lighting and getting some of the most beautiful scenes and moments I can recall in an animation movie.

I should mention the music as well, which was very, very good. I know RADWIMPS (I went to see them live a couple of years back), but was surprised at the tone they achieved, and how well it fit with the movie - the music, along with the visuals, really help in getting a full immersion into the story.

However, some of the most hilarious jokes in the movie seem to be untranslatable to English - in particular the "dialects" of the main characters, as well as a specific moment that makes use of several of the ways that Japanese people use to refer to themselves, depending on context and sex (watashi, watakushi, boku, ore). So I'm looking forward to seeing how those scenes will be handled in the translation!

I have since seen the movie one more time, bought the OST, and bought and read the novelization (which is almost like the movie, but does give more insight into each character's thoughts and thought processes.). Highly recommended!
  • DoubleCshinobi11 August 2016
    Kimi no Nawa is up there with the quality of work Studio Ghibli makes. It's a journey in a world breathing with atmosphere, mystery, and visual wonder. A journey about growth and resilience in the face of overwhelming odds. A journey about human emotion that transcends space and time, as we watch our two protagonists struggle relentlessly against fate. A journey that might just be one of the most captivating anime movie experiences I've had in years.

Director Makoto Shinkai's artistry is something people tend to love or hate, but this film is solid proof to all of his disdainful critics that his movies were never "just eye candy". They explore the nature of life and relationships in quiet ways rarely seen or discussed, which is why most of them are not fast-paced or action packed...and why they are so beautiful. But even if you're not a fan of this kind of style with its major use of metaphorical imagery and mixture of subtle and explosive emotions, definitely give Kimi no Nawa a chance. This is by far his most ambitious, original movie in many ways. For instance, there's an actual mystical element to the story apart from his previous films that are set purely on realism. The pacing is a lot faster and intense. There's a surprising amount of humor in the script, making the chemistry between the characters more light-hearted and comically entertaining than expected. All of this is done through a narrative vision so emotional, so brilliantly realized, that I'm pretty sure everyone at the Anime Expo world premiere screening was tearing up, including me.

Without spoiling, what mainly drives this film's story is the dynamics of our main characters' relationship. The way these two interact is just so unique and lovable. The premise itself allows them to bond on a more personal level, far more intriguing than the usual teenage love story where boy meets girl, boy likes girl, boy gets girl. Eventually, you become so invested in their strange relationship, that when all the action goes down, it's no longer just suspenseful - it's almost heartbreaking.

Editing and sound design play a HUGE role in this immersion. There's rarely a single dull moment because of how gripping and emotionally driven the timing of every cut is. The sound design combined with a beautiful music score is outstanding - subtle and moving when creating atmosphere, powerful at times of dramatic conflict. In fact, the same can be said for pretty much all of the visual aesthetics - which if I haven't already mentioned, are amazing. This is a prime example of astonishingly jaw-dropping animation combined with powerful storytelling.

Kimi no Nawa is not just any anime movie. It has the potential to be viewed and studied as art cinema. It's so beautifully crafted and meticulously detailed, I feel like I didn't even cover 80% of its greatness in this review. To do that, I would have to make a spoiler analysis review, and to do that, I would probably have to see the movie again, maybe a couple more times before I can fully appreciate this nearly flawless masterpiece.

I know I sound like I'm fanboying, but as a film student and anime fan for many years, I'm being fully honest here - if Director Makoto Shinkai keeps this kind of quality up, he is going to be an even bigger name in the anime industry for years to come. Remember Your Name long enough until it's available in your country, if you're not seeing it in Japan theaters. Because trust me, you're not going to forget it. 10/10
  • itsnemra9 September 2016
    So the movie is named "Your name?" and its a perfect title, it doesn't reveal anything about the content and yet it caught my interest. I tend to watch animated movies because they have so much more to offer at the same time it is a tougher competition.

The story line is really good, why? Well it you are open minded it will be pretty easy to follow and accept what is going on, question about how and why get answered by themselves if you believe it is possible. Regarding the animation it give you what your mainstream point of view of Japans architecture, nature, culture and society, all from how they dress to the body language etc. The music, sound effects and voice actor/actress amplifies the emotions and guides you from start till end. There are plenty of a messages and it makes me thing about me and everything living around me, where I come from and where I am going. Regarding the character development its spot on, no more information was needed then what was provided, we are limited but at the same time free to make our own thought.

I wish to say thank you to everyone who have supported and/or worked with this piece of art, they should feel really proud of themselves, it is an honor that you shared it with us (the viewers). Thank you!
  • malcydon10 September 2016
    Absolutely fantastic! Recommended for everyone.

Just watch it.

Amazing characters, scenery, city life and town life, story. Everything is just wow. So fine! The suspension, the empathy, the scenes. The thoughts. It's playful and pleasant, but serious and funny at the same time. It makes you want to feel it and live it, while you just keep cheering for everything.

This 1.5 hours was one of the most well spent time in my life. It was so good, that I actually sit down and wondered why we can't we live like that? Why can't we be in that village? In that anime Tokyo?

Every minute is a time well-spent. It's a time SO well spent, that I was afraid when it's going to end. I literally just realized that this would be the end of an anime. Than this would be the end of an hour long movie.

I was so afraid when it's going to end. It borough such a beautiful and marvelous utopia before my eyes, with all it's mistakes, conflicts. That I actually wanted to live there. I actually realized however, that I'm not good of a person to be worthy of such utopia.

However it is very close to reality. Every time something out of order happens, you remember. This is a certain reality. People can die, be ashamed, punished. Everything can end in a tragedy. But when something wrong happens, nobody really cares.. and I was like: "Why? Why aren't you moving? Are you not afraid for your lives?" Than I remembered.. this is a certain utopia. Even for the people who live in it. Nothing bad happen to them, nothing really could. They are peaceful, good people, in a modern world. Nothing bad happened in the last 3 generation, why would anything happen now?

This movie gave me a new set of feelings, viewpoints, happiness, thoughts and desires, I might have lacked or just not realized before. I'm really glad I watched it. It was a piece from my dreams.
  • I have followed Makoto Shinkai's older works and most of them really have a bad ending, though still good, but this movie's sweet. He really know how to play with our emotion, especially for his work's fans who have followed his works, i'm hoping its not a bad ending during the entire movie.

But man, this work is a true masterpiece. When i looked at Makoto's older works, I suddenly think, he had the potential to beat Miyazaki's spirited away, and there he goes. I'm not saying this is better than spirited away, they had a different genre and makoto had his own stunning style.

How this piece of animation would turn my emotion really hard? Even Spirited Away, When Marnie was There, and 5cm per second can't do that. This is a movie that you must watch before you die, really.
  • 'Your Name' is not just one of the best animes in recent years (and there have been some very good ones), but one of the best animes ever from personal opinion.

Will go even further, saying it's one of the best animated films in recent years, one of the best animated or otherwise films of the year and that it rivals the masterworks of Miyazaki. This is a huge compliment, for any anime, animated film or even any film, and a bold claim that still stands. Much of it is to do with how 'Your Name's' stayed with me and the impact it's had, a film once seen but never forgotten.

The animation in 'Your Name' is stunning, so beautifully and intricately drawn with immaculate attention to detail in the backgrounds and a simply breath-taking array of ethereal but also atmospheric colours. The music fits the film's atmosphere with no problem at all and also works wonders as a soundtrack on its own, serving superbly as music on its own.

Meanwhile, the script is thought-provoking and touching, with much to say and explored expertly and neatly with no heavy-handedness. The storytelling engages throughout, sucks one into its world and never lets go of the immersing and is enormously heartfelt, really investing in the characters' chemistry and their love for each other. Pacing is deliberate, but never drags due to the emotional impact and how well realised the characters are, even when noticeably slower in the second half.

Characters, and the film's themes, are brilliantly written and developed, and the voice acting is emotive and fit the characters with no qualms.

In summary, a truly magnificent film all round that will be remembered for years to come. Deserves all the raves it's gotten, and deserving of even more. 10/10 Bethany Cox
    This was absolutely amazing... the trailer made it seem like a stereotypical "boy meets girl, etc." story... but from the beginning to the end, the movie rotated from a past and present time-line, only proving in the end that time itself was twisted the entire movie - giving us viewers an extremely well written and original plot. The chemistry between the characters, development, music, pacing, animation, everything was absolutely in chorus in the most beautiful way. I cannot even compare this to Studio Ghibli films, not because it's better or not as good, but because it is just a movie of its own caliber. Studio Ghibli films were a lot more fictional, fantasy, and imaginative - free formed and had its own flow. Kimi no Na Wa was cleverly planned out from the first minute to the last, logical, balanced, yet just as if not more breathtaking.
  • Your Name (Kimi No Na Wa) tells the story of two teenagers with vastly different backgrounds. One is a boy who lived in Tokyo and has the word "city" described all around him. One is a girl who lived in rural town far from technology and anything interesting. One morning, somehow, they found out that they have swapped bodies. Together, they must help each other find solution in daily life problems, and solve the mystery of the reason why this whole conundrum started.

This may sound like your typical body-swap romantic comedy situation, but you may find yourself on the wrong side of the spectrum as this movie takes you into an incredible journey. With a storytelling so divine, complex, yet understandable, this movie captures the essence of what romantic comedy movies have lost nowadays, a heart and a charm to lure you in.

Japanese animation movies tend to have a bit of a stereotype, but the movie successfully shown very little of that. Transitioning from one scene to the other effortlessly, Radwimps deserves an incredible applause for their talents in the movie, as every song and every score fits perfectly to the scene currently shown.

Although the movie does end in a predictable way, the voyage to that predictable end is more than enough to keep you satisfied. There are some usage of stock characters and several clichés throughout, something that maybe will drive some of the audiences away or cloud their judgment. But beside all that, the story is still original and well executed.

What seems to be a silly premise evolved into something even more trifling. But with its unbearable charm, it worked astonishingly well.
  • pekiworgen10 September 2016
    I started watching this movie with high expectations,but somehow this movie managed to be exceed them.Movie didn't just look amazing,which is expected from Makoto Shinkai,but story is amazing as well,it manages to keep attention of viewer from start to finish,and as movie progress it just gets better and better.I think that everyone that loves movies should watch this.Even if someone doesn't like animated movies they should give this movie a try.

Also i love how some little things that at first seem meaningless at the end of movie get amazing meaning. Personally i think this is best work that Makoto Shinkai made by far,its above all of his previous works,and doesn't have flaws that some of his other works had.
  • It's been a while since I've seen something outside of Studio Ghibli, being the most recent When Marnie Was There. I'm not familiar with Makoto Shinkai's work but this certainly encourages me to watch the rest of his catalog.

I knew nothing about the film until only the day before seeing it, instantly attracted to the poster and the mini synopsis of two high school teens from opposite sides of the country, who periodically switch in their dreams.

Gladly I didn't read anymore into it and just went to watch it as there's so much more to the intriguing story at face value. It's a little confusing at times bouncing between the two characters, but that doesn't deter the enjoyment and wonderment of the film.

We follow quiet country school girl Mitsuha voiced by Mone Kamishiraishi, going about her daily chores and traditions in a village shrouded by folklore and superstition with mayor-elect pushing for advancement. All this while we also follow rough-and-ready city boy, Taki, voiced by Ryûnosuke Kamiki, who is no stranger to voice acting, starring in Spirited Away at the age of eight and later in Howl's Moving Castle.

The two become celestially bound to one another without fully understanding how, or even knowing who each other are, which leads them both on an adventure of discovery, comical annoyance and eventual romance. It's perfectly balanced between the two even with a number of interesting side characters, each adding something to the intricacies of the plot and supplying a lot of the light-hearted comedy.

The scenery and animation is stunning, vibrant and beautifully breathtaking; with blinding lens flares and gorgeous landscapes that fill the entirely screen. It's superbly paced, perfectly edited so not to make a mess of the constant jumps.

The score by the Japanese rock band, Radwimps is simply amazing, perfect for the film with a mixture of teeny pop/rock and pleasant instrumentals, with surprising tracks like "Kataware Doki" using soft pianos and strings. It's a score Final Fantasy composer, Nobuo Uematsu would be proud of.

There are some films that are not meant to be for live action, showcasing the stunning craftsmanship and elegant talent of the skilled animators and artists, this being one of those films. The actual anime capturing the magical essence of the heartfelt story that I don't believe can be replicated as good live.

Cosmically enchanting, touching and visually beautiful. Certainly the best anime I've seen this year.

Running Time: 9 The Cast: 9 Performance: 9 Direction: 10 Story: 10 Script: 10 Creativity: 10 Soundtrack: 9 Job Description: 10 The Extra Bonus Points: 10 for being such a wonderful, beautiful, romantic story, magical in every sense. Would I buy the Bluray?: Definitely

96% 10/10
    which movie includes time travel, destructive meteor shower,heart-wrenching tragedy,mesmerizing romance,wonderfully extravagant art and many more genres in 1.5 hours,none to my knowledge.'your name' is a beautiful blend of sci-fi, thriller ,romance.I watched the movie just after it's release and believe me i found no reason to blink my eye, it is yet another masterpiece by makoto shinkai.when watching Japanese anime movies, the westerners usually prefer studio ghibli's work , but after this many might reconsider this.if you want to know what I'am speaking about just watch it and you would cherish those 1.5hrs of emotions filed with love,agony,tragedy,joy.And please believe me this is no exaggeration.while watching the movie you will feel your heart racing craving for more drama,romance but still you want to know how it ends and amid-st this confusion you will be using your brains to understand what is going on.And when it ends you will be realizing that it is the one epic movie that will go on in your "the best movies i've ever watched" list. And the next moment you will be writing or telling about the movie to your friends.

P.S Just consider watching it and you will never regret it.
  • Your Name is a journey about growth and having the ability to bounce back when thrown against overpowering hardships. It's a journey that focuses on human emotion that are larger than time and space. It's a journey of where we watch our protagonists struggle again and again against destiny. And it's one of the greatest animated journeys you will ever experience.

Watch the review at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7v32c900F4 and / or read along here

Your Name follows a girl from the country and a boy from the city who have never met that switch bodies when they dream.

This movie may seem like your romantic-comedy body-swap situation. But it will surprise you how in depth the gets. The storytelling here is top notch, because you understand everything, but when you think about it, the concept gets quite confusing, but because of the brilliant direction my Shinkai, he somehow makes it understandable.

The two protagonists are the driving force of the film instead of Shinkai's normal eye candy visual sell outs. Within the great writing are actually some very funny and memorable conversations. The comedy works well to add another layer to the great chemistry between the protagonists. Props to the actors.

It was just so fun watching the dynamic feelings of these two and I loved how the two genders figured each other out while inhabiting the others' body.

I was a little confused when a lot of the first act is dedicated to the girl, without really seeing the movie from the boy she's swapping with, his view. But the movie surprised me when something happened to the girl and we see the boy for most of the rest of the movie. So actually the screen time for both protagonists were quite similar. That blew me away.

If you delve deep into his work Shinkai tends to break the forth wall often in the way he portrays emotions. He, in a way, makes you reflect upon your own life, and all his movies are really, really relatable. He makes you look back on dark times, times you don't really want to think about again and he says a different messages every movie.

A big part of the film was it's editing and sound design. This all helped with the immersion. Every scene is dripping with hidden details covered in immense beauty sugar coated with an outstanding soundtrack played by Radwimps.

And although the end is predictable, it did what 5 Centimetres Per Second didn't do. It left me satisfied.

What seemed like a stupid idea turned into Your Name. And it's not just another Japanese animation.

There are so many scenes where it feels like the Shinkai just pulls the rug from underneath you, like the movie doesn't always follow the normal routine. I felt so many emotions in this movie.

It grips you in that way and shows that every second in the movie and in life is important.

This movie takes every awesome element that Shinkai has ever used in his films and are all constrained into this movie. This film has jaw dropping photo-realistic visuals with beautiful Japanese voice work, great cinematography, laugh out loud comedy, gripping story, insane twists, looming soundtrack, heart racing action, unforgettable quotes.

But the best part about this movie is that it has very few mistakes. Everything is in the film for a reason.

Still, I don't feel like I've covered most of the points of why this movie was so good without spoiling anything.

But I can say that when I watched it, it was something special. Looking around at other reviews and forums, I have a feeling, that this will be regarded as one of the best animated movies ever made.

A+

10 / 10

Watch more reviews like this at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfNozbWd9SJYYwLK2zYn_AA
  • I don't have much to say because I'm completely stunned after watching this movie. This movie is unbelievable. It's one of the best films I've ever seen. I just finished watching it about an hour ago, and I'm still reeling.

Reader: I don't know what you want from your films. But this movie is one of the most charming, transporting, amazing movies I've ever seen. I cannot recommend more.
  • I didn't expect expect to like this movie as much as I did. The animation is stunning, the story is engaging and the movie complements everything perfectly.

Watch it, you'll find yourself captivated.
  • Just a small town girl, living in a lonely world. Just a city boy...

No, wait. Hear me out.

Granted, it's initially hard to sell Your Name - a meet cute anime twist on Freaky Friday - as a worthwhile recipient of its considerable, well-deserved hype, rather than a big screen, big budget rendition of Fruits Basket. But the hype is real. Inauspicious or not, writer/director Makoto Shinkai's film is somewhat of a genre-bending game changer - a film so special that the struggle to properly do justice to it leaves me resorting to inelegantly cherrypicking from a slew of contemporary allusions (the elegant loneliness of Murakami; the mischievous whimsy of Wong-Kar Wai; an Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind interwoven with The Breakfast Club with the most imperceptible pinch of your average buddy cop comedy comedy for spice), while it is still far more than the sum of their parts. In short, it's one of the most unexpected, simple but profound, entrancing, and poetically beautiful films to cross screens in years. It's as fun as it is melancholy, as unforgettable as it is sweetly unassuming. Even better - it's that rare anime where comparisons to Studio Ghibli aren't simply lip service, but actually warranted in terms of exquisite, painstaking heart and attention to detail. Yes, really.

But such lofty praise is actually far from the spirit of a film that goes about its remarkable business with a cheeky subtlety. Shinkai wisely plays off the initial silliness of his concept, with the early body swap sequences staying rooted in lighter, bawdier humour, playfully portrayed with a springy, sassy wit keeping even the broadest moments no less human and adorable for their broadness. The conceit itself is kept indifferently vague, apart from the haziest of nods to traditional spirituality - it's not the 'how' that matters here anywhere near as much as the 'what.' Similarly, there's a clearly delineated dichotomy between the two protagonists' 'tradition vs. modernity' milieus (with larger, extrapolating themes of supplanting history and cultural longing spanning generations to be teased out by those keen enough), but Shinkai is content to let the contrast sit, rather than milking it for shoehorned theme, or garish social commentary.

More than anything, the film captures that ethereal but omnipresent sense of vague dissatisfaction, longing, and persistent but directionless striving that is bound to feel almost achingly familiar to any given audience member, regardless of age, nationality, or standing in life. Shinkai takes a distressingly familiar sense of ennui, and infuses it with a melancholy grace, a feeling accentuated hugely by the film's simply gorgeous, sweeping artwork, infusing panoramas of mountain-dwarfed Japanese countrysides and bustling Tokyo skyscrapers with an unbelievable level of composition and care. When the film glissandos into a third-act twist that is as devastating as it is unpredictable for all but the most eagle-eyed of viewers, it transcends into a piece of larger-than-life folklore, conjuring an almost feverishly heightened viewership that redefines magnetic, before culminating with a quiet grace note that ties up the emotional knot in ways both elegiac and unforgettably uplifting. It may sound like a perennial squall of emotional peaks and valleys, but Shinkai surfs it with nonchalant poise, with his rock-steady pacing lending the film an almost uncanny gestalt. Upon the arrival of the closing credits, don't be surprised to hear a wet gasp, equal parts tearful and jubilant, erupting from your throat, unsolicited. You won't be alone in doing so.

If there are any imperceptible faults to be found, it's that Shinkai's perhaps inevitable leaning on anime tropes do, at times, dip the film into conventions it would normally nimbly leap over. The occasional conflict-expanding plot device or bombastic musical interlude, particularly in gearing up for the film's climax, strain convention in ways that are only startling in their inconsistency with the film's customary elegance, while lead actors Mone Kamishiraishi and Ryûnosuke Kamiki, while both lending credibly commanding voices, are as hyperbolic as they come in their grunts, gasps, and other verbalizations reacting to their bizarre circumstances.

Still, these are the faintest blemishes on the face of a truly beautiful, touching film, that truly demonstrates that the affective potential of traditional animation still has many wrinkles of uncanny power yet to unfurl. So do yourself a favour: believe the hype. Invest in Your Name. If you have any space amidst the ensuing deluge of feelings, you may just thank yourself you did.

-9.5/10
  • Your Name is a lively combination of romance, identity, and culture. I went into the film with a very little understanding of the plot's complexities. From the trailer, I assumed Your Name would be an anime Freaky Friday love story. The framework of the narrative certainly fits into my initial assumption. Yet, there is a multitude of undercurrents in the film which make Your Name stand out. For starters, Your Name constantly changes themes and mood. Often, I found myself laughing and, a few minutes later, would suddenly be on the verge of tears. The movie's eclectic flow makes for a constantly engaging experience. The Freaky Friday element is roughly half of the film's two-hour runtime. In fact, a plot twist in the film literally took my breath away. Your Name is the rare film which combines overwhelming variety and makes everything fit organically. Through variety, the anime earns a conventional ending between protagonists, Mitsuha and Taki. While body switching is the plot's main intrigue, the film adds complexity through its exploration of Japanese culture. Japanese gender identity is explored with such a masterful hand. In subtle strokes, the viewer understands the sheer contrast in the lives of Japanese men and women. For example, a group of men have a crush on a female co-worker; Mitsuha, in Taki's body, simply initiates conversation with the desired woman and, with ease, sets up a date. When Taki is back to normal the next day, his male coworkers all line up disgusted by his act of group betrayal. The scene effectively demonstrates the strength of the herd like quality of gender in Japan. It's no surprise then when Taki, in Mitsuha's body, finds such humorous wonder in the breasts he suddenly gains. A contrast can also be noticed in the struggle between the past and present. The present is Taki's experience of Tokyo. Likewise, the past is illustrated by Mitsuha's familial duty to her small town's local shrine. In other words, the film merges Japanese spirituality with modern sensibilities. A desire to escape and return to the country define the film's ecliptic take on Japan. Mitsusha is your typical country girl with a thirst for a life in the city. Meanwhile, Taki finds beauty in Mitsuha's country town. The viewer amusingly experiences each setting (Tokyo and Itomori) through the unique lens of the protagonists. Ultimately, a comet and local god guide the distant figures into a surprising collision course. As a result, fate is sealed by the two somewhat metaphysically dissimilar sources. The forces of science and divinity augment Your Name into making the seemingly fated connection all the more plausible. The film is a testament of the "opposites attract" sentiment. In summary, the film has a real beating heart. I will end my review saying Your Name is the best looking animated film I have ever seen. The colors are always pleasingly vibrant. Additionally, all of the scenes are lovingly rendered and pulsating with life. I haven't walked out of a theatre with such a positive perspective on life in a long time. If you live in a city, you ought to take the time to experience this anime masterpiece.
  • I have rated more than 1000 movie on IMDb. So, when I write that this is the best movie I have ever seen and the only movie that I wrote a review about, I mean it. I always had a deep fear that I will never meet my other half, and this movie perfect capture that feeling. There is a pain when you wake from a perfect dream and you realize that you will forget about this perfect world, that was your whole world for that few moments. I am afraid that I will cross the one without even saying hi to her. I will say this is a must watch movie for everyone. Good graphics, excellent story, and you are genuinely happy at the end of the movie.