User Reviews (354)

• gjkrulick17 February 2019
    Each and every cast member seems to be perfectly picked to play their part with the exception of Hilary swank. Wowza. She was like a robot. IM FBI AGENT. ME SPEAK MONOTONE. MEANS I AM IMPORTANT AND BY THE BOOK.... Other than that, this is a great movie that is different than the average crap shoved down your throat regularly. Adam driver and the two brothers made me laugh. Daniel Craig with a southern accent and that feeling like he was always a second away from murdering somebody...The father daughter relationship with Channing and the super cute little girl was something that almost could have felt forced but it certainly didn't. Very well written (by whomever) screenplay and even better casting.... I could go on. Skip the blockbuster crap and watch more movies like this so hopefully more movies like this get made..
  • After a summer of remakes and so called blockbusters i popped along to watch this with no hopes or misgivings...I hold an unlimited card so went knowing the cost was immaterial.

What I found was typical of the kind of movie you decide to just take in because I have a card and 2 hours to spare..

A little cracker of a gem to finish off the summer.

Some people are complaining about it not being what the trailers says it is...but if you know about movies then you should know that they never are.

A very well made " Just watch it" movie which never takes itself too seriously and makes you smile and chuckle from start to finish.

Everybody is in on what this movie should be..in my opinion somewhere in between "Stir Crazy" and " The Italian Job" ...with a pinch of "Twin Peaks" added to the recipe.

Surprisingly cheerful and just what the doctor ordered for the onslaught of the usual rehash and part 2's and 3's.

The only way to make up your mind is to suspend your senses and dabble with this for a while.
  • Logan Lucky is first and foremost a heist movie. Arguably it's the first of its kind this decade, since the last time a really good movie of this stripe has focused on downhill good 'ol boys pulling an all-American snatch-and-grab, Burt Reynolds was still relevant. In its advertising the film mentions itself in the same breath as Ocean's Eleven (2001) but aside from both having the same director, the two couldn't be more miles apart. One's about career confidence men drinking fancy martinis. The other's about petty criminals snatching chump change from concession drawers. One's essentially Michael Caine, the other is Steve Martin.

As such, Logan Lucky doesn't come with the standard beats and rhythms of your average Italian Job (2003). It's slower, quirkier, meanders down narrative avenues then calls it all back in drastically different ways. While doing so it's also more human, more sympathetic calling to mind the best aspects of The Big Deal on Madonna Street (1958) with a uniquely Appalachian twang.

Recently let go from his construction job due to, "liability reasons with insurance," former football prodigy Jimmy Logan (Tatum) decides to put in motion a robbery plan he's obviously been thinking about for some time. He recruits his siblings, hairdresser Mellie (Keough) and one-handed bartender Clyde (Driver), to aid him. Then they knock on the door of infamous local demolitions expert and safe cracker Joe Bang (Craig) whose incarceration proves the first snag of many to rob the Charlotte Motor Speedway.

As with all heist movies, much of the entertainment stems from the tension created when the plan, as described to the satisfaction of the audience deviates ever so slightly risking exposure. What Logan Lucky doesn't just get right but gets near darn perfect is the way it plays with that convention. Large problems seem to wash over the ensemble with increasing grace almost as if they know they can rely on their community; family and own God-given intelligence to carry the day. Minor problems come across as inspired character moments for which Jimmy, Joe Bang and his brothers (Quaid and Gleeson) show their goofy, simple, superstitious selves.

I say goofy and simple not to be derivative, though if that's what you take from it then the film's prestige may come as a more pleasant surprise than you could hope for. Much of the plan relies on other characters, such as a stuffy prison warden (Yoakam) and a haughty race promoter (MacFarlane) to underestimate our ensemble's abilities.

The film does an excellent job humanizing our heroes by exploring and framing their environments as a point of fact. Jimmy doesn't live in squalor; he lives in a cozy house overlooking the West Virginia hills. Clyde isn't a one-handed freak, he's a war hero and a dedicated bartender to boot, Mellie, a capable getaway driver, the Bang brothers - professional bandits who "know all the twitters". The camera further highlights this by panning and gliding at low angles making everyone loom larger; everyone including a late third act addition in Hilary Swank as a resourceful FBI investigator.

The film is not without its faults. The pacing seems to shift up and down like a Mustang barreling down the Eastbound I-64. And despite its knack for air-tight alibis, Logan Lucky leaves the audience hanging with a lot of unanswered questions. Given the controversy surrounding the financing of the film, there's little doubt a sequel is being planned. One which I look forward to, but if film is said to be poetic justice in a hundred minutes or less, Logan Lucky doesn't come across as poetic as it should be.

All that said, Steven Soderbergh's Logan Lucky is a breeze. It's a fine and feral addition to the pantheon of good time slice-of-life crime comedies that were first kicked off by Dirty Mary Crazy Larry (1974) and the like. And its quirkiness is helped immensely by its motley cast who by enlarge do wonders humanizing characters that otherwise would have been shrouded in misplaced mythos. If you've been curious about this one, do yourself a favor and check it out.
  • I saw this film at a drive-in, and it was the second film in the double feature I had gone to see. For the culturally deprived, drive-ins still show two features. Anyway, this film was a revelation. At first I had expected that the working-class characters would fall into their designated stereotypes and we'd chug along to an easily-expected finish.

Not so much.

Actually, the characters were nicely filled out, there were stereotypes but not the ones I expected, and the movie had some rather nice convolutions to it and contrary to some other reviewers I found the late-arriving Hillary Swank to be a really interesting addition to the cast - and a possible bell-weather to a sequel. Just sayin'. There was comedy, drama, some real-world concerns and a lot more. Go see it. The cast and script alone will make it worth your while.
  • gabethurau27 October 2019
    I'd like to preface this by saying that southern humor is hilarious to me. Talking in an exaggerated country accent can exponentially elevate any film's comedic level. That's a big reason why I think O Brother Where Art Thou is such comedic gold. And Hell or High Water wouldn't be the same without the southern setting and chippy dialogue.

Anyway, this was a funny movie. It was also a wildly entertaining movie. What if lacked in depth, it made up for in charm. This won't be for everyone, but if you're in the mood for a robbery movie that doesn't take itself too seriously, then watch this one.
    I have to be honest: I really tried to like the movie, but ultimately I couldn't. I enjoyed some of the performances and I liked many of the jokes but, scriptwise, the movie is very lacking.

First of all, the first act felt too dialogue-heavy and lacked action. And I don't mean action as in punches or bazookas. I mean action as in something happening. Too much of the information was delivered through dialogue which isn't ideal.

The second act had some entertaining moments. The recruiting and the heist were fairly good. However, I felt a lack of sense of structure in the script. The heist ends but the third act doesn't even start yet. We are introduced to a bunch of characters that really add too little to justify their appearance. For example: the nurse, which couldn't even count as a romantic interest as she only appears twice in the movie, Sebastian Stan's character, who's only purpose was to reject the other race guy's testimony (and this doesn't even happen on camera, but through a line from Hilary Swank's). Even the other race guy has no particular reason to be in the movie as his testimony never complicates the life for the protagonists and, therefore, adds nothing to the plot. And finally, Hilary Swank. I really don't understand the role of her character in the movie. It's a wannabe antagonist that never really antagonizes. She never, since she appears for the first time, complicates things for the protagonists. Not once. I don't understand why these characters appear or, if they will, why they are not given something more interesting to do.

The movie also raised too many questions that, at least I, couldn't answer. I think this happened in a (and this is my opinion) failed attempt to be clever. For example, it is mentioned that an anonymous source confessed the location of the money. This was supposedly Channing Tatum. But why would he do it? They stole the money from Daniel Craig's brothers. Again, why? Was that the money that was given back? Why go through a lot of problems only to steal their money and give it back to the authorities? Why did Hilary Swank suddenly turn to the thieves side at the end, when flirting with Adam Driver?

I don't know. The movie didn't do it for me. I feel there were too many loose ends and many unnecessary elements that could have been cut out. But that's just me.
  • A few years ago director Steven Soderbergh made no secret of his waning passion for filmmaking. He announced his intention to retire from feature films following the release of 2013's Behind the Candelabra and cited his desire to pursue other creative interests. Well, it may have taken four years (and a brief stint directing TV's The Knick) to reignite his filmmaking passion, but Soderbergh proves his hand behind the camera is as assured as ever in the rollicking heist caper Logan Lucky.

Aptly described by Soderbergh himself as an "anti-glam version of an Ocean's movie", Logan Lucky is a return to the style of filmmaking that made his Ocean's trilogy box office hits. The film moves at a neat pace, features a strong ensemble cast and is packed with enough twist and turns to keep things interesting throughout its two hour running time.

The story follows the Logan family, brothers Jimmy (Channing Tatum) and Clyde (Adam Driver) and their sister Mellie Logan (Riley Keough), who are known for their family history of bad-luck. After loosing his job at a mine located underneath the Charlotte Motor Speedway, Jimmy plans to pull of an elaborate heist to put the Logan's financial woes behind them and break the family curse. With intricate knowledge of a series of underground tubes that run from the Speedway to a central bank vault filled with millions of dollars, Jimmy sees the perfect opening to rob the vault during a NARSCAR race. To pull it off, he enlists the help of his siblings along with bomb expert Joe Bang (a scene stealing Daniel Craig) and his two brothers, Sam (Brian Gleeson) and Fish Bang (Jack Quaid). The only problem: Joe's in prison. So on top of concocting a plan to steal the cash, they'll need to figure out a way to break Joe out of prison and get him back with no one the wiser. No pressure.

It's a zany comedy about unremarkable characters punching well above their weight but through sheer luck managing to pull things off. Half the fun of the film is seeing things not happening to plan but somehow working out in the end. To its credit, the film never treats itself too seriously and invites you to laugh along with the character's mishaps and the farcical parts of the story are frequently the funniest. One gag involving a prison riot and a jab at Game of Thrones writer George R.R. Martin's glacial writing pace is as screwy as it is funny.

For the most part, the film moves along at a nice pace. Just like in the Ocean's films, Soderbergh (who edits his own film) employs slick, fast cut editing to keep the heist scenes interesting and involving. He also manages to make good use of an impressive ensemble cast, with the likes of Seth MacFarlane, Katie Holmes, Katherine Waterston and Sebastian Stan all making minor but memorable appearances. And while Adam Driver and Channing Tatum both give impressive performances, the standout is an almost unrecognisable Daniel Craig playing blue-collar criminal Joe Bang. An explosions expert sporting a heavy southern accent and bright blonde hair, he's an anti-glam version of Bond if you will. It's Craig's impeccable comedic timing that will make you wish the Bond films would let him exercise his comedic chops a little bit more.

It's only in the last act that the film starts to feel a little played out. The introduction of Hillary Swank as a Special Agent in the last 20 minutes of the film feels a little rushed and ultimately doesn't really go anywhere. Instead, the story continues through a number of false endings, not entirely sure when to bring down the curtain.

Overall, as the first feature to draw Soderbergh out of semi-retirement, Logan Lucky is clearly something he wanted to make and his passion comes through in the final product. Produced entirely on his own and without studio interference, Logan Lucky inverts the glamour and opulence of the Ocean's trilogy without loosing the series' trademark quirks and high entertainment value. If Logan Lucky is intended to act as sort of push-back of the Hollywood system and studio meddling, then Soderbergh has succeeded at both proving a point and making you laugh while doing it.
  • RS88512 August 2019
    The best comedy/drama I've watched lately. Sure, there were some minor plot holes, but they don't change the fact this is a genuinely fun-to-watch movie. I laughed so hard at times my whole body hurts.
  • Carllebault24 February 2019
    Great cast and unlikely. Main star is Daniel Craig, this film is such good fun. What you'll love is getting involved with the story more than you'd anticipe. The trailer will make you want to check it out but you won't regret it. Something to watch while chilling out and having a laugh. Will you watch it again? No but you'll really like it
  • The reason I wanted to watch Logan Lucky was because it had a pretty interesting cast like Daniel Craig, Adam Driver, Sebastian Stan, and Katie Holmes. Without watching the trailer, I thought it was going to be an action movie, but I was surprised that, when I first watched it, it turned out to be a heist comedy. I was expecting Daniel Craig to be the main character, but I was surprised that it turns out that Channing Tatum and Adam Driver were the main actors and Daniel Craig was one of the supporting actors. Anyways, The humor is laugh-out-loud funny and quirky at the same time. The movie itself is Ocean's Eleven meets O Brother, Where Art Thou?. The acting from the cast is very well done. Like Ocean's Eleven, Logan Lucky had a very interesting twist at the end of the heist (or movie). The directing from Steven Soderbergh, who also done the Ocean's trilogy, is really stylish and the soundtrack is also very entertaining. What also surprised me is Daniel Craig had a Southern accent in the movie, which was quite hilarious. Logan Lucky is an entertainingly fun movie and worth watching for heist movie fans.
  • Steven Soderbergh has never been one of my favorite directors, but you have to respect the diversity of his output. He appears to be about as whimsical as a filmmaker can be, given the dedication and discipline of such a medium, taking on projects as they intrigue him for the pure pleasure of the craft and the journey of the creation. I almost wonder if he even pays much attention when his films are released; it seems more likely he's already preoccupied at that point with whatever's next.

Logan Lucky is another take on the "cool heist" subgenre already explored by Soderbergh in the Ocean's Eleven franchise. This one takes place in the South and leaves no character archetype of such a milieu unexploited. The cast is great, with Adam Driver's laconic, minimalistic performance as an ex-soldier-turned-bartender being the standout for me. He gives Buster Keaton a run for his money as far as brilliantly expressive stone-faced characters are concerned.

Like a lot of heist movies (or con man films), the plot is a bit too intricate for its own good. Much of the fun in the first act of the film (the dry wit of the character interactions) subsides as the complexities of the plan are illustrated for the audience. Such movies tend to fall in love with the cleverness of their own mechanics, and that's not particularly what I'm there for. Fortunately there are a couple of uproarious set pieces sprinkled amidst the job itself that redeem all the exposition and the a-to-b-to-c logistics. It also takes too long to end. But I watched Logan Lucky with a group of friends and it was a definite crowd-pleaser, so obviously the flaws are not overwhelming.
  • Logan Lucky tells the story of Jimmy Logan (Channing Tatum), a man down on his luck. He lost his job on a construction site because he has a limp he didn't report when he applied (and doesn't affect his job as a driver). He's divorced with a wife moving away who has full custody of his daughter. He has a brother, Clyde (Adam Driver), a bartender who lost his hand in one of the many wars. It's referred to locally as the Logan Curse. The Logans' simply seem unable to catch a break.

Perhaps, there's a chance for their luck to change. Jimmy reveals to Clyde a complex heist plan he's put together that could help their lives exponentially. The plan is so complex it even involves breaking Joe Bang (Daniel Craig) out of prison, getting his help, and getting him back in prison without anyone noticing he's gone.

Logan Lucky is a fun and quirky movie. It's filled with characters that could easily be cut from the film and bare no impact on the final product. Seth MacFarlane's Max Chilblain, Katherine Waterston's Sylvia Harrison, and Sebastian Stan's Dayton White could all be cut from the film and the story would play out exactly the same. Their inclusion in this film is baffling.

However, much of that is moot since when this movie works, it very entertaining. From the cast, the real highlight is Craig's Joe Bang. A man who appears rather simple and is very crass, yet proves through the movie that is he unusually intelligent. In many ways Tatum's Jimmy Logan has many of these qualities though not nearly as crass.

Although, I can spend the rest of the review praising the cast for all doing a great job (even the unnecessary ones), the real star of this film is Steven Soderbergh's direction. Returning to the chair after a very short lived retirement. He shows that his four year break has done nothing to dampen his eye for film.

This is that rare film that is equal parts style and substance. There's a clear story here about how we can create our own luck as long as we're willing to take the opportunities when they present themselves. Logan Lucky is hardly a flawless film by any means. It does have a tendency to meander, but never too far off. Two hours with the Logans are two hours you won't regret.
  • LaundryMatt2016 December 2020
    I used to live in WV so it was really funny to see the accurate depictions of its people. I even enjoyed this a lot more than Ocean's.
  • I liked it even more after reading Steven Soderbergh's interview about cutting out big studios from the profits and sharing it with the crew instead. Good for him! "The film is also an answer to questions he's been grappling with his whole career: What if you could make a movie that cut out studios entirely, allowing the filmmaker to do as he or she pleased? What if infamously shady studio accounting could be reduced to something as simple as a password-protected website, where everyone involved with the film— from the producers to the costume designer to Adam Driver— could simply log on and see how much money the film had made, and what percentage of that money was theirs?"
  • One of the main reasons that I began writing movie reviews is to bring attention to good, entertaining flicks that might be flying under your radar.  Such is the case with Steven Soderbergh's latest heist flick LOGAN LUCKY.  This is an entertaining movie that moves quickly and has much more under the surface than you might first think.

Strongly and ably directed by Soderbergh, LOGAN LUCKY tells the story of the "cursed" Logan family of West Virginia (Channing Tatum, Adam Driver and Riley Keough) who are facing tough times.  The solution to their problem?  Rob the vault at the Charlotte Motor Speedway.  They enlist the Bang brothers (Jack Quaid, Brian Gleeson and a surprisingly, effectively funny Daniel Craig).  One problem there, Craig's character is currently in jail.

Can this group of seemingly dimwitted West Virginians pull off the caper?  That's the fun of this movie and it's territory that Soderbergh has covered before with the OCEAN'S 11 films (there is even a callback in this flick to those movies when someone calls the robbery OCEAN'S 7/11) and he covers this territory well.  The caper is clever, yet simple.  Soderbergh (or, rather, writer Rebecca Blunt - which is believed to be a pseudonym for someone else) does a clever job of having Tatum's character keep a list of 10 things to think about during a robbery and the script follows these rules, which makes things easy to follow.

But, of course, in these types of films, it is the characters that make (or break) things and Soderbergh has assembled a a crew that is very enjoyable to watch starting with Channing Tatum  (MAGIC MIKE) as Jimmy Logan, a former high school and college football "legend" (at least in West Virginia) who is having trouble making ends meet as a result of a career ending knee injury.  Tatum does a nice job of showing us a thoughtful, rounded human being under the veneer of a West Virginia "hick".  He is joined by his one-armed brother, Adam Driver, (Kylo Ren in STAR WARS)  in another interesting and watchable performance and their sister, Mellie (Riley Keough, MAD MAX: FURY ROAD) a performer who I knew little about before this film, but is one that I will be keeping an eye on going forward.

The film picks up energy with the introduction of the Bang brothers.  Dim-witted (and I do mean dim-witted) Fish and Sam Bang (an unrecognizable Jack Quaid and Brian Gleeson, son of Brendan) - who gave me 2 or 3 strong, burst out-loud laughs and their older brother, explosives expert Joe Bang.  This was the best, most surprising part - Joe Bang is played with a continual twinkle in his eye by James Bond himself, Daniel Craig.  You can see the danger in his eyes and movements but you can also detect a layer of intelligence in his portrayal, all the while keeping the "wink" in his eye that let's you know that he (and we) are having fun.  Finally, I would be remiss if I didn't mention Dwight Yoakim's turn as the head of the prison where Joe Bang is incarcerated.  I want to see a film of Yoakim running this prison.  There is so much story there to mine.

The film isn't perfect - there is a subplot involving a NASCAR driver (Sebastian Stan - Bucky in the AVENGERS films) and his owner (a miscast Seth McFarlane) that goes nowhere and Katherine Waterston is wasted in the "love interest for Tatum" role, but all-in-all, I had a good time at this film and I think you will, too.

It's the perfect film for a rainy Saturday afternoon, which is what most of Minnesota (and Texas!) will be having today.

Letter Grade B+

8 (out of 10) stars and you can take that to the Bank (ofMarquis)hat to the Bank (ofMarquis)
    I know I'm late to the party with this review. While it is still in cinemas, I want to urge you to go and see it.

Steven Soderbergh returns to the silver screen with Logan Lucky. Soderbergh previously brought us Ocean's Eleven, Ocean's Twelve and Ocean's Thirteen. Next year he will produce Ocean's Eight. It is without doubt that Soderbergh knows how to film a crime caper filled with complex plotting, serious human moments, dead-pan humour and a significant twist at the end.

The plot is straight-forward. Two brothers (played by a charming Channing Tatum and a brilliantly dead-pan Adam Driver) attempt to pull off a heist during a NASCAR race in North Carolina. Along the way they enlist the help of an explosives expert, appropriately names Joe Bang (played by Daniel Craig, who clearly has been let loose and chews up the scenery with gusto).

Set in the heart of Trump-land (it is a thing you know) and close to recent racial protests in Charlottesville, this caper is Ocean's Eleven in a hillbilly world. Are there stereotypes? Yes. Are there southern tropes? Yes. Does it take itself seriously? No.

The film is well put together based on the screenplay by Rebecca Blunt (As of July 2017, suspected to be a fictitious person; a pseudonym for an, as yet, unidentified person. The real person exchanged emails with Channing Tatum, Adam Driver and Daniel Craig, cast members of Logan Lucky (2017), during filming. They believed she resided in the UK).

To invoke a litotes, the film is not without it's faults but where it succeeds is in the performances of this stellar cast. They clearly had fun. The late introduction of Hillary Swank as an FBI agent assigned to investigate our villains/heroes is a masterpiece of casting and Swank makes the most of her limited screen time.

Too much analysis will spoil what is a thoroughly silly, yet enjoyable film. Enjoy!

3.5 out of 5
  • OK, stop me when you've heard this one:

James Bond with a dye job, Elvis' granddaughter, Magic Mike, Kylo Ren, and the son of Meg Ryan and Dennis Quaid all get together to rob the Charlotte Motor Speedway during the Coca-Cola 600.

Sound strange? Add Steven Soderbergh and first-time screenwriter Rebecca Blunt to that mix and you have "Logan Lucky". Jimmy Logan (Channing Tatum) is let go from his job working underground construction at the Speedway and is down on his luck. Between supporting his bartender brother, Clyde (Adam Driver), dealing with his overbearing sister, Mellie (Riley Keough), a nagging ex-wife in Bobbie Jo (Katie Holmes), and a daughter preparing for a Little Miss West Virginia pageant in Sadie (Farrah Mackenzie). Jimmy and Clyde end up working with Joe Bang (Daniel Craig), hatching a plan to break him out of prison, steal the money from the vault, and then break him back in before anyone realizes he is gone.

Seeing all of these great actors playing West Virginians is worth the price of admission ALONE. (Add to that Seth McFarlane working a strange form of Australian accent as an energy drink magnate and NASCAR owner, and that mix gets even more fun.) However, this fact by itself cannot be expected to carry a two-hour runtime that "Logan Lucky" brings with it, and that is where my issue with it comes into play. There are many moments where I found myself laughing out loud by the complete absurdity of what was going on, but a chunk of the third act does tend to get a bit loose before everything comes together for a strong finish. The odd thing about it, though, is that I don't feel like they could have trimmed that third act up to make it any more enjoyable. It's like it teetered on completely spinning out of control but kept things just on this side of that line. This great cast does a wonderful job in filling those gaps, which is probably why I liked the cut where it stood, but I could see some of the detractors' opinions here. Given the simplicity of its characters (on purpose), it is surprisingly a bit more complex than it has to be (especially as it all unfolds), but it is not unrealistic to match the plan up to its principals. There is also Hilary Swank as the FBI agent assigned to the case, but I felt that her character was a bit rushed due to the amount of time it took to get through the caper itself, but again, I don't know that this could have been cut differently to get there quicker.

The best way to frame "Logan Lucky" using the tried-and-true Hollywood formula is this: It's "Oceans Eleven" meets "The Apple Dumpling Gang" meets "Little Miss Sunshine" with a dash of "My Name Is Earl". There is actually a very funny way they are referred to in the film, but I really want to save that for when you actually get the chance to see it. I truly enjoyed this film and have every intention on seeing it again, so head on out!
    I have to give it a 5, because honestly, my wife loved it, so there is something there. It's not a "thinker", and it's not clever. I think the best way to describe it is a good movie you can watch while doing something else.

My biggest problems with the movie are below, but before that, the acting was good and there were some lines that were very good and jokes that totally landed. I honestly didn't realize it was a Steven Soderberg movie until the credits at the end. The lighting was good, consistent. The editing, well I'm not sure they had to work with and what the director/producer wanted, but I felt like it could have been better. Overall, I feel like the cast and crew were committed and gave their best.

The downers are mostly script related though there were some very poor directing choices (which is funny, because I said the same thing about the Ocean's movies, but they could get away with it because the script and performances were untouchable.)

1. There is so much talk about the area and the geography it became very clear 5 minutes in that the writer has never been to the area, they just looked it up on a map. Case in point, if this all happened in real life, it would be nearly a 5 hour drive to and from WV to Charlotte each time.

2. I had no connection with the characters. I just didn't care because they weren't set up, their needs/wants.

Why did Jimmy need to rob a bank in the first place? He didn't need that much money to move to Lynchburg (I mean if he's commuting 5 hours for a job in Charlotte, wouldn't a 4 hour drive to Lynchburg be the same or better)? Does he have a history of crime or robbing banks?

What motivated the idea in the first place? (Had the scene where he saved the worker's life when he was buried in the tunnel, been the opening scene (before credits) it wouldn't have come out of the blue and felt more natural.

A good example of not setting up characters, is that it was a good 1/2 hour into the movie before I realized that Milly was Jimmy's sister, not his girlfriend.

3. Why did his brother go along with him? Why was Joe Bang interested? Why would Joe Bang want his brothers involved when one of them had helped his wife steal Joe's savings? Why did Joe even want anyone else involved especially his brothers who opened their mouths about his savings?

Joe and his brothers never even had good chemistry and only a few minutes on screen together.

4. Adam Driver never had to go to prison in the first place...so why? If he didn't there was no need for the brothers anyway.

5. The story with the nurse was so weak...it really didn't need to be in there.

6. The FBI characters where introduced so late into the story it is just distracting. You have to introduce the main characters in the first act you can't pull them into the story that far in.

7. What was the point of giving the money back? The only people they screwed over were the Bang Brothers. But there never felt like there was any animosity between the Logans and Bangs, and there was never a suggestion the Bangs were even upset at the end when they got screwed over...so why?

8. Why did a multi-millionaire walk into a crappy bar in WV at the start of the movie? Couldn't Jimmy and his brother crossed paths with him in a more realistic setting like, the motor speedway that Jimmy was working at?

9. I didn't need the back story to the race car driver, that just ate up time and wasn't funny.

10. Why give that much money to the prison at the end but completely screw over the Bang brother who did more work? Why give the banker with the cake get money?

I was just kind of shocked this script was bought. The writer is apparently a pen name, so I'm assuming someone very famous who is likely an actor in the movie was the writer and that's probably the only reason it was picked up.

But after all that, most people don't get that obsessed with the story like I do (ie, my wife) and if you're looking for something fun, yeah I don't think you can go wrong with the movie...it could have been funnier, it could have been more clever, but it wasn't a horrible movie, just some very poor writing.
  • This film was better (and much different) than I expected. At first the pace seemed very slow and the story predictable and seen-it-before. But then the pace picked up and you really get into the characters (of which every single one was cast and played their role perfectly) and the story (which overall was very well written - especially the ending). The ending had an obscure twist forming, but right at the very end, it comes together for a grand finale! Very enjoyable and I'm definitely watching this one again. It's a 9/10 from me.
    *** MAJOR SPOILER ALERT - DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED THE MOVIE! ***

(leaving some space so no one accidentally sees what I'm about to say...)

Okay, here's my problem: loved the whole thing, and was enjoying the wrap up where everyone who took part (knowingly or unknowingly) was being given a share of the loot...but then, at the last second, right when it seemed that everything was FINALLY going right for the two bothers, et al, they show us the FBI agent sitting at the bar, listening to all the key players, checking out Adam Driver's expensive-looking new prosthesis, and pretty much making it clear to us that nope, sorry boys, the Logan Curse _is_ a real thing, and their short-lived happiness is about to come to an abrupt end.

Wasn't the fun of this whole movie the idea that these fairly Noble Losers were going to come out on the winning end for once? I don't know, maybe it's just me, but that ending with its apparent portent of doom kind of ruined it for me. So, I will now break out my oft-employed "Perfect World Positive Spin Magic Rewrite Machine" on this film, and change the ending, so that while yes, Hillary Swank was there at the bar that night, planning to put our intrepid heroes behind bars for a very long time, she will instead be so totally charmed by the bartender brother that she'll give up the pursuit that very night, opt for love over career advancement, and join the Logan family, with everyone living happily ever after. Thank you, and goodnight...

MFF/Honolulu 2-14-21
  • This movie is nuts. A limping Tatum and a one armed Driver, joined by a crazy Craig attempt one crazy redneck robbery only for things to not quite go as planned.

The premise alone is fun, but seeing these actors in these roles is just a riot. James Bond playing a crazy southern bomb maker? Yes please. Kylo Ren as a slow but purposeful hillbilly? Double yes. Seriously, Driver may be one of the best actors working these days and this one definitely shows some of his range.

I feel like this needs another watch, it was fun and I definitely liked it but there was something there preventing me for getting 100% sucked in to the experience. Fortunately, this will be a treat to revisit at some point.
    This has to be one of the worst of Steven's movies. The script and directing was horrible. The characters and pace of the movie was so slow and highly unrealistic that many people just walked out of the theatre.

There is not really a lot of comedy or smart set ups like Ocean 11 movies and instead it is a meandering of endless short set ups by idiot red necks that at first you think just perhaps there is some back story that convinces us that they are really sharp like in Ocean 11 - but they are not and it just gets tiresome and the directing is amateurish with no style whatsoever and silly characters that do not add up to any clever thriller or comedy.

It is shocking to see 90% on Rotten Tomatoes or even a 7 on here. The end has little punch and you're so exhausted and bored out of your mind even with great actors but the pay off is unrealistic and you no longer care except to want to slap the writer and director for even making the stupid movie and wasting the great actors.

I give it a 4 only because of the actors performances even with a lame script. And please do not use Channing ever again. He is dull as paint
  • MovieSoup7 September 2017
    There are some great heist movies out there and considering this is by the oceans 11 guys I thought it would be great. But it just isn't. The characters have no development to them. In a heist movie you are supposed to root for the robbers and want them to succeed. This movie made me not care about their plan and the jokes in it are not thought out properly.

Channing Tatum's character was not very believable as both a red neck or a single dad down on his luck. Adam Driver was very boring and stilted with his southern drawl not really impressing anyone. Katie holmes was also in this film but she is a small character. I thank god for this as she just can't act convincingly (watch Batman Begins and you will see why Nolan got someone else to play Rachel in Dark Knight). Overall the 2 of the 3 main characters were boring and the actors were not on their best for this film either because of poor direction or because the actors did not give a sh*t.

The only good person in it for me was Daniel Craig. His accent was okay, nothing to get hard over, and some lines he said were at least funny. The little girl in it was okay. Child actors are always going to be rubbish but at least she was convincing. The two redneck brothers were just a stereotype to be laughed at but they again fall flat and are not funny.

The "comedy" in this "comedy, crime, drama" is stilted and boring with very few jokes making me laugh. For instance during the prison riot in there's this big Game Of Thrones reference which falls flat on its face and is boring. It revolves around the books taking a long time to come out…..That's it, no set up, no reason, it was just there to be "random" and relevant as far as I can tell.

I actually made a note of the number of times the audience laughed during the film. Most of the time the audience was silent as the jokes were told except for one or two times like when a red neck says that he is "really good with computers, all the twitters I know em"……No accounting for peoples tastes in comedy I suppose.

The plot is simple and effective with the actual "heist" bit being okayish. This film was marketed as being from the same guys who did Oceans 11,12 and 13 however the script was written by Rebecca Blunt who to this day has received no other writing credits for any other movies. This is where you have been lied to ladies and gentlemen! I believed going into this film that the plot would be written by the team that wrote Oceans but nope!!

The film is not as clever as Oceans 11 for its heist plot. The big reveal at the end is boring, revealing that they just threw a few bin bags full of money in a garbage truck, berried it and then dug it up a couple of months later whilst the FBI was following them?? How did they achieve this anyway??? Surely the FBI would have been keeping tabs on them the entire time and knew they were doing this?!

The technical side of things works quite well for this movie as the cut scenes showing the plot of the heist are edited really well. The film did have a flow to it, not being bogged down with pacing issues at all. The colour palette used as well was very efficient and was dark when needed. The sound did not wow me in the least but it was not awful like in some other movies I have seen and was used effectively to create feelings and atmosphere. There was a big John Denver vibe going on which is in keeping with a stereotype that all people from west Virginia love John Denver and know all the words to "take me home, country road" which is simply not the case.

All in all this film has good parts in it but not enough to warrant a £8.95 theatre ticket. With characters that are flat and comedy that is not funny this film is not the worst I have seen but is missing things that would make it a good movie. I would suggest that you wait for it on DVD or stream it if you really want to see it. Seeing it in the cinema was a bit of a rip off.
  • On the surface, Logan Lucky has a heck of a lot going for it. It's got a zillion-dollar cast. Everyone loves a good "lovable outcasts pull off the heist" tale. It tries to tap into the Appalachian quirkiness that made "Justified" such an institution. It's almost worth eight bucks just to see if Daniel Craig can act all "muricann." And yes, Channing Tatum is actually pretty convincing as a hard-workin' country boy down on his luck. And there's plenty of John Denver references!

But in the end, the movie goes nowhere, and in this summer of wretched movies, we're left with another stinker. Almost nothing is funny, and nothing is interesting. The movie goes way too long as they spend the last half-hour "unraveling the mystery" while Hilary Swank glowers incessantly. And their attempts to capture some of that Boyd Crowder-esque, crazy hillbilly lifestyle just fall flat every time.

What's even more remarkable, is once again, the IMDb user review/metacritic machine has awarded a ridiculously high rating to a very mediocre movie. I am getting tired of it, and am increasingly wondering why I'm wasting my money in the theater when I can be home streaming Game of Thrones, or a zillion better movies than this one.

4/10: Slow, confusing, unfunny, weak.
    Once again I'm not really all that sure why I saw this because even though it is a heist movie, it pretty much follows the cookie cutter script that seems to be the standard for heist movies. In fact I saw another heist movie earlier this year that was almost identical except that the main characters were pensioners who had been diddled out of their retirement as opposed to a bunch of hicks whose injuries have resulted them being left on the scrap heap, and when I say almost identical I actually mean literally scene for scene.

Okay, I was going to say word for word, but that doesn't really work considering the previous film was set in a major city (New York I think) where as this is set in Charlotteville, North Carolina. Okay, they also have a prison break, and they robbed a speedway as opposed to a bank, but the way the film progressed, especially with the police investigating it and then coming up empty, and the protagonists (anti-heroes if you will), getting away with it. Mind you, it was pretty clever what they did, and how they covered their tracks, but the funny thing is that these guys didn't actually come across all that smart. Also, there were some pretty cool laugh-out-loud moments, at least for me.

One of the things that did stand out was the setting – Charlotteville, and it was rather ironic that the whole protests occurred the week or so before I saw this film because it really gave me an idea of what the culture is like down there – very working class. In a way it created a picture of a region of the United States that had been ravaged by globalisation, and a world where if you are injured then nobody wants to touch you, or hire you. In fact our hero was basically told that he could no longer work because he had a pre-existing injury, which was the catalyst for the whole heist.

While I would suggest that it was a fun movie, the reality is that there wasn't really all that much different here than the film that I saw earlier in the year (Going in Style). Sure, the setting was slightly different, and the way they went about committing the heist was different, but in the end it seems like it simply came out of a cloning factory and really had little to no substance, or thought, to actually making it an individual film (except for a couple of really cool jokes that is).