User Reviews (34)

• erolsabadosh23 November 2016
    7 episodes in and I'm hooked! This show is absolutely HILARIOUS!!! The style of humour is somewhere between Broad City and Louis; it's quite dark and weird at times but also fun and irreverent. The cast is awesome, doing a really good job portraying characters who are deeply flawed and making them entertaining to watch. A lot of the comedy stems from making fun of them and the often ridiculous things they do but it's not mean spirited; the show has a real charm to it that makes it ideal for binge watching. Every episode adds another layer to the mystery and we watch the characters unravel and get into ever-increasingly bizarre situations that all had me laughing out loud and often cringing too. One of my new favourites!
  • jyao-4411623 November 2016
    If you go into this for a cookie-cutter Bones, SVU, CSI type show or constant one-liners you will be disappointed. The characters aren't meant to be likable, but serve to rustle up emotions like annoyance and frustration. The brilliance of this show is its commentary on what it means to search for meaning, fulfillment, and actualization in a post-modernist society. The jokes are subtle and character based. There is a heady dose of nihilism, which is done in a style unlike any other show I've seen, and it's deeply existentialist. This show serves as a mirror into our own lives. That's the kind of mindset it should be viewed in--don't expect to like the characters or a mystery.
  • I have no idea what the other three reviewers were watching, but I truthfully could not stop laughing. I'm 51, so I doubt this show was aimed at my demographic (according to advertisers, the fact that I'm past the age of 49 means I either I don't exist or I don't consume, or both).My bete noir is bad scriptwriting, where every scene can be predicted, and the characters are one dimensional; this show didn't fall into that trap ONCE! After the first scene, I assumed that the Drew character, Dory's boyfriend, was a narcissistic simp, but as the first episode continued, he was shown to be an OK guy, who truly loves Dory, or at least, really cares for her. I have watched eight episodes on On Demand, each one is funny and touching; touching because Dory is such a vulnerable, relatable, 3 dimensional character. Give it time, and make sure you're actually watching "Search Party" and not the apparently horrible show the above reviewers watched.
  • I usually do not bother to write a review and leave that to others, but every single review I found on this here was negative and in no way representative of how people I know perceived this show. I seriously question the (lack of) taste of the previous reviewers. If this is not your genre than don't review it.

I am TV show addict and am always on the look out for something new, something that puts my mind in motion and moves me or something that just makes me laugh. Stumbled across "Search Party" yesterday and binge watched all available episodes. It's a refreshing take on dark comedy. The casting here is phenomenal and so is the script and story.

The main character is portrayed by Alia Shawkat, which you should remember from the classic "Arrested Development". She's grown up now, and her acting has grown with her. This is definitely one of her best performances. I could talk about the rest of the cast here but this review would get too long. Rest assured they live up to the standards set by Alia.

In a nutshell I would summarize this show as an inside look at American culture of this generation. The main character is in search of herself, and I don't think the "friends" she has are helping her move forward. An old college acquaintance goes missing and she takes it upon herself to figure out what happened to her (in order to fill a void in her own life). That's it! A simple proposition that generates a lot of interesting and funny situations. The characters in this show are hilarious ranging from the uber-gay, the fake, two faced, and the paranoid.

I strongly advise you give this a try and form your own opinion. I can assure you that this is a well worth addition to the fall TV scheduling. Probably one the most refreshing and stylish shows this season. Can't wait for the next episode. Enjoy!
  • Search Party isn't a non-stop laughfest, nor is it a dreary ID crime investigation, and it certainly isn't a perfect blend of the two. What it is, however, is a realistic journey of self-trust.

This isn't a show where the main character is a genius and can link clues at a rapid pace or where a team of expert analysts know exactly where to find the next missing piece. This is a show where an everyday woman with nothing to lose puts herself in charge of her own life and throws everything she has into this mystery.

Each episode doesn't give leaps and bounds of clues for the mystery, like investigations in the real-world. Dory is an everyday woman, and Search Party follows her personal conspiracy and investigation in a real-to-life pace.

The characters are flawed, just like real people, and if you find them distasteful it's because they were written to be that way. The whole opening theme is that Dory finds herself stuck in life. Stuck with a dead-end job, stuck with lackluster friends, and stuck with a unsatisfactory boyfriend, but the one thing she does have, (as another character notes), is this conspiracy of a girl from her past who goes missing.

If you want an action show watch Hawaii Five-0, if you want a comedy watch Angie Tribeca, but if you want a realistic underdog story this is the show for you. You're not supposed to be recovering minute-to-minute from drama or laughter, real people don't have that every waking moment of every single day, you're slugging it out with Alia Shawkat (who SHINES) and witnessing Dory make something out of herself.
  • bregund26 August 2017
    I think that some of the negative reviews of this show were a little harsh, of course these characters are ordinary, there's nothing special about any of them, that's the point. They're stuck in the millennial haze of social-media-obsessed society, and nothing they do seems genuine, to the point where Elliott's charity event seems superficial and disingenuous. So when the mystery of Chantal's disappearance gets dumped in Dory's lap, of course she's going to make more of it than it really is, and the results are ultimately hilarious. Dory's overactive imagination is the result of desperately looking for meaning in her life. How rare to find a show that makes you think, for once.

Update for season 2: I upgraded my rating for this show because season two is even better than season 1. This show proves what can happen when you focus on the writing, create compelling characters, and balance the unexpected or the absurd with the mundane. Every scene from season 2 is a gem; that whole cupcake scenario was brilliantly written and performed. At first glance the characters in this show appear to lack any depth, but all of them are working some angle for their own benefit. When Julian catches Dory coming out of her apartment and asks for her help, her reaction is priceless...she's dealing with some heavy issues but once she learns that Julian's boss is harassing him, she boldly asks if there's any way to get money out of it.

I finally found a new favorite show, and I can't wait for season three.
  • This show is fun! It's characters are shallow and the actors portraying them make that somewhat OK if not a little annoying in a fun way. The actors are doing a great job. It's a dark comedy and it's entertaining. It's a little ridiculous which adds to the appeal. The show demonstrates what it can feel like to find something and someone meaningful in life. And how that can change in a sometimes brief time period. Search party in that they're searching for this missing "friend" (acquaintance?) and searching for more substance in their own lives. A little off-beat and enjoyable. I look forward to watching more episodes.
  • To those who periodically claim that 'the Americans don't have a sense of irony', I always point them in the direction of Seinfeld, Cheers and many other TV comedies to demonstrate just what complete cobblers they are talking. OK, in a country with a population of 319 million people compared to oh-so-ironic Old Blighty's mere 64 million – that's almost five times as many Yanks as Brits – there are bound to be more than a few po-faced individuals who think 'irony' is the 'science of ironing' than here – almost five times as many, probably - but then we in Britain also have our fair share (and I have worked for a few).

Well, if that claim yet again raises its ugly head in my company, I shall advise the claimant to seek out and watch all ten episodes of Search Party. It is, in more than one way, quite a little gem.

The premise at the heart of the deal is the same as in Seinfeld: take four utterly self-obsessed narcissistic 'millennials' (I'm rather too old to qualify, so I give it a set of ironic quote marks) and follow their lives and sometimes lies. Then throw in a real mystery – the disappearance of a classmate they barely knew and didn't much like but whose fate becomes yet another burden they must bear, sob, sob – and you have a story which fills ten episodes very satisfyingly indeed. (NB They are just 20 minutes long here in Britain because we have been saved ten minutes of crass ads which tend to ruin most programmes.) The performances by the four main characters are so good, funny and entertaining, that the actors deserve an individual mention: Alia Shawkat, John Reynolds, Meredith Hanger and John Early. Alia plays the girl with no life (her daily occupation is to assist for no pay in the most inane way possible a rich New York divorcée who has time on her hands to kill). Her boyfriend is John Reynolds, an unpaid intern. Meredith Hagner (a real hoot) is a small-part TV actress, and John Early is their outrageously camp gay who manages to pull of the difficult trick of not making his gay character into a caricature: he's the real deal and wins you over despite his behaviour.

That the writers are aware shows in their inclusion of one or two characters, mainly older ones, who are far more grounded and not quite as self-obsessed.

It would be pointless to give a blow-by-blow rendition of the plot, but I should add that it is not just a dramatic device to show us the lives of our four egoists. I shall certainly keep an eye out for the future work of the four, as their work in Search Party can by no means be a one-off. Give this a whirl: if you don't like it, don't think it's funny, think it is nothing special, my advice is to seek out the local branch of your Po-faced Citizens Of America and take out a life membership.
  • gecunning12 December 2017
    This is hands down the best show on television. Period. The writing, the acting, the plot ... all continue to amaze me. There aren't many shows that literally make me LOL but this one does. Over and over. Not only is it funny, it is totally unpredictable. These folks all deserve awards for their work. Every single blessed character is so perfectly acted and enjoyable in his/her way. The neighbor downstairs, the senate candidate, the detective, the director ... all shine along side the beyond-gifted main characters. I finally feel like there is a show that isn't below my intelligence level ... like so many of these ridiculous sitcoms. I just finished episode 10 season 2. I pray for more! Thank you TBS!
  • I just finished binging all 10 episodes on demand and I really enjoyed it. I think this is a show that is best experienced consecutively! The writers did write this show with the end in mind! Bravo! This show is hard to love at first because the satirical characters are hard to enjoy. This story soon becomes an exciting vehicle for character development. As the season continues, the characters and plot become really exciting. The season ender will leave you wanting more! The entire cast was great but Alia Shawkat is phenomenal! I could watch her for hours! .C. Framke from Vox sums up the show perfectly in her review when she says "While much of the show's first season feel needlessly twisty and jerky, the way the mystery eventually comes together while allowing for sharp observations about the show's characters speaks to Search Party being much more incisive — and worthy of a 10-hour marathon commitment — than it might appear at first glance"
  • Except not really. This show is my new favorite thing. I caught a glimpse of another review that was negative. Something about the show being confusing, which is understandable if you're only use to seeing family sit-coms. This show asks you to think just a little bit.

The millennial main characters can seem alien if you are use to more traditional stories, but the basic premise is pretty straight forward. Young woman struggles to find the meaning of life, especially her own life. Wannabe intellectuals surround her in her quest, but everyone is pretty much going through a similar struggle because they are in the same point in their own lives.

The tempo is great. It doesn't spoon feed the audience. It's the right balance of silly and funny.
  • gnosticagnostic28 November 2016
    Quirky and dark, but always funny, Search Party invites us to consider the mischief we create by trying to conjure a grandiose sense of meaning in our lives. Whether that takes the form of gossip, chronic attention-seeking, flight into unhealthy romance, compulsive lying, or over-focus on "helping" someone else, this series reveals our most unsavory and recurring coping strategies with humor and grace.

While its abrupt style and shallow characters might at first seem to hide this basic message, interplay between the characters reveals that each of them is trying very hard to defend and secure their status, without taking much note of the people around them. And the drama ensues! Search Party is not mere TV pulp. It is the closest thing I've seen in the last several years to literature on my screen.

Watch this series; then watch it again.
  • There've been a couple of indie films in the last few years about Brooklyn hipsters playing amateur detective. Alia Shawkat had a small part in one of them, "Wild Canaries," which turned up on streaming Netflix; the film wasn't bad, but it struck me that she would have done much better as the female lead, and now she gets her chance.

Her character, Dory, is a young woman approaching thirty who has a sort-of job as what used to be called a paid companion to a scatty rich woman ("Dory, how is that you're so good at doing all the things that nobody else wants to do?"); at a rooftop party where everyone has a glamorous, creative job (or says they do), she's still introduced around as "my friend from college"; her ex-boyfriend is a cool black dude who's getting some articles published; the current one's a bit of a doofus (though we don't see him at his best in the earlier episodes) who's stooging as a corporate intern

The trigger moment arrives when Dory recognizes the name and face on a faded Missing flier as someone she knew slightly from her dorm; at first, this just gives rise to mopey millennial reflections ("If something bad happened to me, would anyone notice?" yadda yadda...), but, luckily for us, she decides to fill up the blank space in her life with the search for Chantal Witherbottom.

Things get moving when Dory recruits boyfriend Drew and their pretentious brunch buddies, Elliott and Portia, to join her posse. The transition from indie-style relationship comedy to retro junior-detective caper comedy is perfectly smooth; comparisons to Nancy Drew and the Scooby Gang seem unavoidable (the episodes have titles like "The Return of the Forgotten Phantom"). Soap opera vet Meredith Hagner is surprisingly likable as Portia, a self-absorbed actress who's landed a precarious "recurring" role on a TV cop show; John Early's delightful performance as Elliott is like an anthology of every possible self-conscious gay mannerism. Indie reliables Ron Livingston and Parker Posey turn up in smaller roles.

The tone abruptly gets darker in the final episode, and it seems like enough loose ends are left to tie up in the second season. Didn't mean to go on so long about a half-hour comedy on TBS. It's great! Watch it! (PS--Second season is a little plot-heavy and melodramatic, but still quite entertaining.)
  • It's hard to see the humour at first, through all that darkness, but after a couple of episodes, it is savage. There's no holds barred in it's criticism of modern narcissism, shallowness and fakery as this gang of self-absorbed twenty somethings play Nancy Drew.
  • An incredible, riveting show with impeccable acting and comedic dialogue, with twists and turns you'll never see coming. Featuring one of the best performances by an actress in a tv show this year from Alia Shawkat, this show needs more praise, and definitely another season.
  • God I love this show. I fought tooth and nail not to watch it too lol. I think it was the Urban Outfitters attire and vaporwave that scared me off but I'm so glad I did. I hope this has some legs on it and that it stays on for awhile. Definitely my favorite right now.
  • From the beginning, I was fascinated by this quirky series, in which an unhappy young woman with shallow friends and little ambition latches onto the mysterious disappearance of a casual acquaintance, and, after thinking she sees her in a restaurant, going full-out Nancy Drew, roping her friends into the search.

It's not the humor that drew me to the series. The comedic elements rarely made me laugh; it was more of an, "ah, clever" sort of reaction. I'd say it's more a satire of the modern age than a comedy, although I guess that's a form of modern comedy, as seen from Louis CK or Master of None, although I personally prefer Search Party to those.

While I didn't laugh much, I was fully invested in the relatably flawed and uncertain Dory. She's not much less awful or shallow than her friends, but she has a dogged determination, holding onto her mystery like a life raft, that keeps you rooting for her.

To a large extent, Search Party is an existential mystery. If you're looking for Agatha Christie or Dashiell Hammett then you'll be disappointed, but if you want a series concerned more with the utter absurdity of Christie/Hammett if placed in the real world, this show is wonderfully satisfying.
  • I just finished watching the whole series, and it was extremely enjoyable. What really sets this series out from others is the commitment it makes to keeping it realistic. I can imagine this scenario taking place among the millennial generation today (which I am a part of). The fact is, the majority of us are like the main cast. We are vapid and distracted by social media and making ourselves look good in front of others. We try to change that and find a deeper meaning in our lives, like Dory did. But, we can easily lose track. This isn't the worse thing to happen to our generation, in fact I see it as a phase. We are 20- something-year-olds that are wondering around in life, and eventually when we turn 30, we'll have more substance. Of course that substance and meaning in our lives will be built during our 20s. I believe most of us are like Dory right now: we seem better than every one else because we have a drive, but that could easily backfire. I do love that at the end, her actions do have profound consequences, but at the same time, the show doesn't jump the shark and sticks to it's main message. That everyone is stumbling around in life, and there is no real meaning in it unless you make one.
    It is astounding how a show can fail beyond failing. After seeing the pilot I felt a whole bag of emotions, mostly disappointment and confusion.

Disappointment regarding characters. Unlikeable characters that are an insult to real life people. Very flat and dry characters and an extremely disgusting attempt to make gay people funny. Funny, not this show. Every attempt of being funny fails. I did not find myself smiling, but actually got a bad taste in my mouth. That's a first! The pilot made no sense whatsoever. Incoherent bladibla, clichés in excess and scene to scene situations that feel like there was something in between but got cut out.

Perhaps I am not the demographic this is catering too, perhaps I am a bit too skeptical and perhaps I do not understand the humor. I however think I won't be the only one who will never watch another episode again and really would applaud discontinuation of this rubbish series.
  • I did not expect much out of this show when I turned it on, and perhaps as the first episode goes by you may be wondering why it has so many fantastic reviews. But what at first seems like a dry comedy about self-absorbed millennials soon turns into a thoughtful commentary about human's drive for purpose and meaning. Honestly, this show is much more than any typical modern comedy/mystery. This is one of the amazing gems of television that creeps into your thoughts at nighttime, and can very well influence your perspective. As some have suggested before, it would be more wise to consider this a piece of art rather than simply another television show. I cannot recommend it enough. Give it a chance beyond the first few episodes and you will be surprised.
  • newusuario29 May 2018
    Damn these cheeddas dont know what they losing, this series good af! Damn i was chocked at the end of season 1! And the end of season 2 i was like DORY NOOOOO, come here season 3 i want you in my table right now.
    You cannot be serious with this show. The first two or three episodes were actually not bad but then it goes down hill fast. The show begins by poking fun how ridiculously self-absorbed and, well, ridiculous four Brooklyn hipsters are, and it's easy to relate to Dory, our protagonist.

Then it just gets plain stupid. Dory wants to find Chantal for no apparent reason. She's just bored and picks up missing person hunting as her new hobby. The writing deteriorates before our eyes, going from funny to cheesy in record time.

The show seemed to have potential but, ironically, the producers just might be so self-absorbed that they forgot to take the pulse of this show.

Could be a generational thing. Maybe mindless and stupid is the new funny, which would make sense for a generation that doesn't look up from their cell phones anyway.
  • j-funderburgh28 December 2016
    Really. I will NEVER believe a good rating again. This was embarrassingly bad. The characters were each and every one a ridiculously shallow cliché. And not funny- kind of teeth grinding- can't-watch-it's-so-bad sort of cliché. There was no development either of the paper cutout characters or of the plot. I kept waiting for Dori (the explory) to actually find some clue but there were really weren't any- they were all pulled out of the warped imaginations of one of the silly characters. Dori the Encyclopedia Brown clone ends up cheating on her boyfriend because she had two beers and worked really hard. And she did it apparently with her clothes on. (?) The shaggy dog ending might have graced an episode of Scooby-Doo except the group all decides the mystery is solved wanders off to have a drink leaving the only honest character who was actually trying to solve the mystery bleeding to death in a closet. Why did I spend 5 hours in front of a screen watching this fatuous nonsense ? Because EVERYBODY liked it and gave it good ratings. Really - I will never read a rating again.
  • I'm absolutely astonished that anyone can come come with a show this amazing.i just laughed for 2 minutes trying to explain a scene in season two. The story is like nothing I've ever seen before the storyline is so good I have a horrible vocabulary but it is and it's so funny all the time this show deserves some awards! Don't give up after the first episode I personally already liked it but keep watching because you'll become connected to the characters they are developed so well over time and all around I love it I hope they get so many more seasons also on tbs the first season is free right now GO WATCH
  • I thoroughly enjoyed the first two episodes, it's well written, casted, directed, acted, shot & edited with a great soundtrack... and it's funny.

It follows a set of "Millennials" all of whose lives are falling apart in different ways who come together with a common goal. None of them are instantly likable and that is the whole point... these are dysfunctional people and that's the wellspring of the humour.

They are playing up the ridiculousness of young NY life for laughs whilst still being kind.

The dialogue and detail are fast paced, you really need to pay attention but will be rewarded in doing so.

I was thoroughly surprised by how good it was, I will continue watching and look forward to seeing how the show develops.

Outraged at them trying to make gay people funny? (previous reviewer) There's only one major gay character in it... and he is funny.

I am not the obvious demographic for this either and may be even older and whiter than the previous reviewer (I'm old enough to be some of 18-34's Grandfather) but I liked this a lot, give it a go!