User Reviews (166)

• SPOILER: Godless has a long list of actors who do a great job working with a wonderful director and a great screenplay presenting a very interesting story. The tale in this movie has been told before. A good example of a very similar story is the 1968 movie "Blue" (see information about Blue on IMDb) where a young gang member decides to leave the criminals he grew up with and start a new life; and then is pursued by his former bunch of hooligans, resulting in significant consequences for some innocent folks.

In Godless, an extreme event occurs in La Belle, New Mexico that leaves the town with a population that is almost all women and children. Fortunately, Marshall Bill McNue (Scoot McNairy ) and Deputy Whitey Winn (Thomas Brodie-Sangster ) are left to keep the peace. Things become complicated when Roy Goode (Jack O'Connell) shows up at the ranch owned by Alice Fletcher (Michelle Dockery). The plot darkens when the gang Roy abandons decide to chase him to wherever he is, and punish anyone who harbors him.

Michelle Dockery (as Alice Fletcher) is the movie's focus, and the actress dominates every scene in which she appears. Ms. Dockery is an exceptional and interesting actor with a tremendous "screen presence." Merritt Weaver (as Mary Agnes) is another stand out. She delivers a great performance that she refines and develops through the series of episodes until the climax.

A lot happens within the seven episodes, that vary from 40 to 80 minutes per episode (four episodes are 70 minutes, one episode is 50 minutes, one episode is 41 minutes, and the final episode is 80 minutes). I am admitting to watching all seven episodes (totaling 7.5 hours) in a single day, and almost continuously. Godless is that good. This is an entertaining mini-series that holds your attention as you watch an interesting plot develop and finally unfold in a dramatic and exciting climax.
  • This is one of the best western series in the recent years. Well scripted and acted. This has everything a good series warrants and feels like a 7+ hour treat. Personally, I liked this a tiny bit better than Deadwood and Hell on Wheels. I hope Netflix keeps producing more of these quality ones. Jack O'Connell shines in the lead role, as does most of the cast. Well done Scott Frank for such an engaging story line and script.
  • What a gem this is. You gotta thank Netflix for letting this creation blossom and see the light of day. Scott Frank did a fantastic job here; the story is very intriguing and one of the best character building in recent westerns. The direction and cinematography are top notch. It is undeniable that we have a classic on our hands.
  • dianeand24 November 2017
    I found this series to be excellent. Scott Frank found a way to make a tired genre come alive for a more modern audience. The cast was excellent, with Jeff Daniels creating a formidable villain. Flashbacks reveal the source of his villainy to lie in the violence of his own childhood, the loss of his "mammy and pappy" and his religious extremism. That he is mentally disturbed is clear, but his childhood story both resembles and provides a contrast to that of Roy Goode in a way that moves the series toward its many lessons of redemption and love. Griffin is ruthless and obsessed --in ways that remind us of the extremism of some in today's society both here and around the world. His false and twisted idea of "family" contrasts with that of Alice Fletcher or Mary Agnes, who owns hard life experiences lead them to find real family, one based on more positive values. It is the message the late-arriving preacher gives at the funeral, one I found quite moving. It is the message Roy Goode came to find.

I found the series' treatment of minorities to be realistically refreshing-- a band of black people struggling to eke out an existence in the middle of nowhere. They remain wary of the neighboring white town, greeting each visitor with a gun in hand. That they could do such a thing testifies to why their choose to live in a god forsaken desert. That these experienced Buffalo Soldiers are admired for their past deeds and allowed to live as they choose is important to the story. Their reluctance to help the people of La Belle is clear but their humanity remains. The Native Americans in the story are human beings, individuals with warmth and humor and not just "noble savages" but people who make their own mistakes and struggle to live. I loved the character of Truckee.

I wasn't sure if the ending was over-prolonged, but have decided I like it. The series might have ended with a final shot of Goode as he left, but instead we follow him westward and I found it very satisfactory to do so. Finally, a word about Sam Waterston and Scot McNary. Each played a lawman, and each displayed a quiet and determined persistence to bring a man to justice and stop the carnage. Waterston was simply outstanding, and his final scene standing in bar, in total darkness, outlined in light, unknowingly standing amid the darkness of man's evil, was iconic. McNary found his shadow, and found a way to live with loss, and how to love his own child. I found the thematic and metaphorical material to raise the series to a level above the usual "shoot 'em up" nonsense often seen on TV. Bravo to Netflix and Scott Frank.
  • I am hooked by a series on Netflix called 'Godless' I'm now on episode 4 since last night and I can honestly say that it is one of the best Westerns I have seen for a long time since the likes of John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, Gary Cooper etc.

The cinematography is stunning in full screen and as the story-line unfolds and revisits the plot cleverly, the shocking and gruesome happenings become clear. For an episodic series it is a worthy 45+ minutes of attention grabbing and human moments.

The title becomes self evident quickly and the characters have true depth and realism. The story would be a riveting read if one had the book. I highly recommend Godless!
    Great ambiance and a "western" feeling I liked a lot. It did remind me of Deadwood. Great performance from Dockery who I had only seen in Downton. O'connell also did a great job as did many others. I was really excited to watch the final episode to see the expected fireworks and who lived, if Dockery & O'connell's characters made a lasting connection, and so on.

So for many episodes the Buffalo soldiers were built up as tough hardened ex solders who knew what they were doing. Then in the last episode we learn that these Buffalo soldiers ran the bad guys out of Texas. So I expected that these ex soldiers would do a lot of damage to the bad guys. But no. They basically all fell over dead with no problems at all. Huh??? Plus Jeff Daniel's gang kills everyone in their settlement? This just makes no sense. So the bad guys wipe out the Buffalo soldiers without working up a sweat and then are all killed by a bunch of widows who were mostly not gunslingers.

Then we had the scene with Jeff Daniel's asking to be shot in front of the hotel and for some miraculous reason he alone is not killed.

Then Dockery ends up with the Sheriff who she showed no emotion towards at any time in any of the episodes instead of Roy Goode who she obviously cared a lot about. No physical chemistry on screen for the Sheriff and lots towards Goode. And Alice Fletcher's son really liked Goode and showed no connection to the Sheriff. I know Goode was an outlaw, but he was loaded with saddlebags of money and they could have gone anywhere to be together.

I realize that this show was trying to pull in elements from one of my favorite westerns Shane, but this ending just fails. In Shane Alan Ladd and the wife were mildly attracted to each other but she was married and had a son from her husband who she obviously liked in the movie, at least the characters did. In Godless Alice was a widow so not the same as Shane.

I realize this is just a show but the ending was just completely unsatisfying.
  • If someone would have told me the plot of this show, I would have said nah I'm not watching it. Since no one told me and I'm a sucker for westerns, I did and by god am I glad I did. This show is fantastic! The music is some of the best I've heard in a TV show. The flow is great, the characters have character, the story is so well told. The cast were amazing, I couldn't find anyone to dislike in terms of their character.

Listen, if you're into westerns. You should stop reading this and watch it now! If you're not into westerns and wondering about it, then yes I'd recommend it. It's a good western to get a taste of the genre. It's only 7 episodes so you don't have to stick with it for long. You'd be convince in 1-2 episodes anyway.
  • Authentic, clever! All the actors are terrific.. Jeff Daniels amazing performance. Love the link to history. Outfits are well done... would love to see this series continue please.

Music is great. Opening of the credits is artistic. really enjoy how the story unfolds and how the back stories are brought forward.
  • mweratcliffe25 November 2017
    Excellent tale well told. Great cast - great screenplay - great music - great costumes - great cinematography. A thoroughly satisfying viewing experience. Definitely among the best films of the western genre. My hats off and I thank all who were involved in bringing this story to the screen.
  • Quite a good movie which hits all of the buttons for a classic western.! The violence was a little high and very realistic, which is my only real problem with it. Interesting to note that the reviewers who didn't like it had a problem with the inter-racial relationship as well as the lesbian relationship. I thought that these brought a note of realism to it, as these relationships have been going on forever, but social mores kept them from being portrayed in the past. The cinematography was excellent and I found myself just looking at the scenery in some spots instead of following the plot. The casting of little known, but excellent actors, topped off the film, and Michelle Dockery sure is a natural beauty.!
  • jsjsalerts30 November 2017
    Spoilers Ahead:::

Godless was easy on the eyes, beautiful countryside, which for some reason kept toggling between color and black and white. A lot of the artifacts like the wagons looked authentic. I kept thinking that something important was just about to happen, but it never did until the totally predictable final gunfight between the outlaws and the townsfolk.

I wont repeat whats in the other reviews, here's what I'd like to add. I liked the characters but was put off by the 2017 morality. Everyone was a lesbian or bi racial or a whore who saved her money and became a wealthy school teacher. Just your average western town. For all the background on the characters, I was left with some really big questions like why were those men following Jeff Daniels all those years? They didn't seem to have possession or wives or girlfriends or houses. They just rode around year after year hurting people. Why? They didn't even have back up horses or a wagon full of food. Alice had a ranch or farm but, like all the others, she didn't grown any crops. She had no employees, she just spent her time digging wells and fixing fences. Why? When the finale started, all the hard tough villains rode into a trap. And stayed there. No one sought cover. A couple charged the townspeople but most just stood around waiting to get shot while the inexperienced women were smart enough to hide behind fortifications. In the finale Jeff Daniels kinda sat on his horse looking around amid seemingly thousands of rounds fired at his brigade. Wouldn't most of the bullets been aimed at him? During the movie Jeff Daniels starts as a crazy sadist roaring his anger at Roy Goode. Then he has scenes where he's crazily kind ie: he and his men surround the lone sheriff who swears to kill them but they let him walk away? For a man that destroyed a whole town this seems out of character. Speaking of the sheriff, much was made of his going blind. Then someone sells him 'spectacles' and he's amazed that he can see again. WTF! He never heard of glasses (even in 1865)? Yet they are so common that a man he casually bumps into happens to have a pair for sale in his pocket. I found that some of the characters tried too hard to have an accent and wound up sounding like a member of an 8th grade Christmas play. People kept ignoring their gunshot wounds. I imagine that if I had a gun shot wound in my stomach I'd be rolling on the ground screaming for the 1865 equivalent of morphine, but none of these characters ever did. Michelle Dockery was beautiful and enigmatic but in the end her character was hollow.
    I have to say that for the most part this series had some truly great moments. The tale gets off to a very good start, but soon after, i was starting to ponder if this story goes any deeper, and have some nice surprises for me down the road. At episode 4 i was starting to wonder if this entire series was like it already had been portrayed, with too many coincidences happening, too many predictable outcomes, shallow characters, and being incredibly politically correct.

I was hoping that it all would come together and make sense as it moved closer to the end. But sadly, this show ends on a note with little to no explanation to why we have been taken this trip through all 7 episodes. And this is not one of those times where i will be sitting here pondering for weeks what i might have missed, this show is not that intelligent, even if some people here might think it actually is.

You can tell that the creator has spent a lot of time making this series, especially on the characters. The little things about them that make them stand out. The journalist with a bad eye, the vision impaired sheriff, the rich prostitute and school teacher, the rape victim and farm owner. There are lots of details to be found in this, but some of the details i would call over the top, i find some of these quirks and personalities to be what they are, just for the sake of it. The illusion of depth and variety, to make the story seem richer and more complex, but as it turns out, the traits these people have, rarely has anything to do with anything going on, except for being traits written into the script.

But on the other hand, the actors here are for the most part really good, and play their roles with lots of gravitas, and they are depicted with some really great visuals, the cinematography is outstanding. They really managed to capture the western feel of this. The wide shots of open landscapes, mixed with great set pieces of buildings that looks like they have been standing there forever, it really has a great atmosphere. You can almost smell the horse poop and the gunpowder.

But the story is the main problem here, it's not that the story itself is bad, though somewhat over the top, it's how it's executed that is the problem. For example that two characters that are suppose to end up doing something, and they construct scenes that makes no sense what so ever just so those two can have their moments. Instead of interlinking the stories better, they went for the easy solution, almost all the time.

Problem then is that since they made an entire scene just to be able to create a moment, the rest of the story surrounding this moment makes no sense anymore. This show is full of illogical moments which kept bugging me. Let me just explain one quick scene to underline my point. In the final shootout, and when there is still shooting going on, the kids and the old ones come walking into town like it's all over, no more danger. How on earth could they know that? It makes no sense. Someone would have gone for them when it's safe. And there still was shooting going on, they would never ever have come walking into town at that moment, but it was created to have this little emotional scene where the Sheriff meets his kids, and this is one of the scenes that they actually made it harder than it had to be, just to make a scene completely illogical.

What about the Sheriff and Roy suddenly bumping into each other with the mining companies security team after they had taken the horses? Small world ey? Huge open empty space for miles and miles, and yet we all come crashing into one another on the smallest of areas.

Yeah this show is full of these, where things are constructed just to get the story going, but makes absolutely no sense. Well i notice these things. But, the show is still good, has a good nerve throughout all episodes, there is almost always something to admire or take in, just that the story lacks logic and depth.

All in all a 7 out of 10.
  • OnceUponATimeInTheWest23 November 2017
    As a fan of westerns I thought this was very well done. Yes, there are clichés but what modern western or any western doesn't have them? Give it a chance. I think you will not be disappointed. It is a guilty pleasure to binge watch but I pretty much watched all the episodes in two sittings. The scenery and cinematography are breathtaking and the acting is first rate. Using modern technology to tell an ages old story definitely kept me interested. Yet it wasn't overused and never seemed too modern. (The Magnificent Seven remake comes to mind) I don't write many reviews but I thought this one was worth the input. Enjoy!
  • johnanthonymazzei24 November 2017
    A convoluted tale of redemption and revenge with plot holes aplenty. Everyone was was referred to as sir or ma'am, even the outlaws were polite. The production company seemed to be on a mission to karmic- ally make amends for the TV series Deadwood.The Buffalo Soldiers turned farmers were never called or even referred to as n------s. The white woman who married an Indian and had a mixed race child or her son were never ridiculed. The lesbians weren't ostracized. A former prostitute was even welcomed as the new school marm. The production company ran out of love when it came to the Mormons. They were portrayed as rapists, torturers and murders with no explanation for it.

A seven part/hour show that could have been 5/5. Episode 6 only served as a vehicle to show Michelle Dockery's breasts. Jeff Daniels' (the villain) origins are never explained. He attracted an army of 30 highly skilled men willing to do anything he says. Their number remains constant to the final battle scene even though several are killed throughout the show.

It was full of problems: 1) Heroes can only be wounded, never killed. 2) The mining company bought the mine then disappeared 3) Heroes always know where the bad guys went and can always catch up to them, even with poor eye sight, while both are on horseback 4) The final battle scene was so unrealistic (See for yourselves) 5) The long awaited preacher shows up at during the epilogue and gives an all encompassing speech even though he wasn't there for any of it.

I will give them credit for one thing, most people did have to reload their guns.

I apologize if the review confused anyone. Specifically my word n--- --s. It's a racial slur used to to refer to African Americans. I had to self edit in order to submit (pun intended) you'll have to use your imagination.
    I think what this series strove to be was a modern twist on the Ford/Wayne classic "The Searchers?" and/or the Leone/Eastwood trilogy. It had the same overriding theme of the former, a protagonist who is simultaneously the salvation for civilization but a necessary outsider to it himself, and the slow scenes, interesting camera angles, and mysterious motivations of the latter. Added to this are the modern themes of lesbianism, women's rights, interracial relationships, identity/"daddy" issues (Frank/Roy, Roy/Truckee), crazed spiritual mumbo-jumbo, and so on.

Unlike others with lower ratings, I didn't mind all the completely anachronistic additions. I even could tolerate the the obvious exaggeration of mayhem in the gunfight in the finale (honestly, as depicted Frank could not have had only 32 men, I feel we must have witnessed at least twice that number get shot, and how on earth did they kill everyone int he Blackdom gunfight without losing a single man?) But I think what drove me nuts was the pacing. I felt a good director could have squeezed this all into a 2-3 hour movie, which would have been much more satisfying. This felt interminable towards the end, I half watched only because I'd made a commitment to do so, even though I knew exactly how it would end (every plot outcome in the final episode was COMPLETELY predictable IMO -- well at least I anticipated it all). The big La Belle gunfight went from an engrossing climax to the series, to something I kept thinking "are they really going to drag THIS out that long too?" after 10, 15, 20 or however minutes it lasted. If I were bored I might go back and count all the bullet impacts shown, there must be many hundred.

In short, something worth watching, but hardly the "masterpiece" all these 10-star ratings imply. Even more baffling is that the paint-by-numbers final episode is the highest rated one of the seven as of the time I am positing this, it is rated 9.1, while the next highest of the other six is 8.5
  • Floyd Shoemaker30 November 2017
    Godless had the potential to be a great series. It started off incredibly well and then it just gets slow and lazy.

The acting is very good and the scenery is wonderful. The first few episodes really pull you in. Then the distractions begin (interracial couple, lesbianism, nude woman wandering through town). These scenes add nothing to the story and would not have been socially acceptable at that time in US history. Why did they include these scenes?.....who knows, political correctness I guess.

It would have been so much better if they had just stuck to the script and avoided the side show......it would have taken half as much time and been a much more compelling story.
    It is the ONLY plausible explanation for the completely bumbling, ridiculous failure it turns out to be, and here's why:

The first episode is masterful. It introduces the characters, and the overall plot almost perfectly. You're instantly drawn in with scenes such as Sam Waterston's Marshall character riding into a destroyed town, his face remains stone-like as he inspects all the examples of horror there, dead bodies burnt to a crisp, blood mayhem, what went on here? It's not until a posse member points out a child hanging from a pole that we see a reaction on his face, and this relays so much of character to us, he's a hard man, but even he is taken back from that. Subtle and intelligent, I was hooked. The dialogue so interesting and well-written as well, I was convinced this was going to be a great series. And for a while it WAS. That's the best part of the joke; I so wanted it to keep being great that I kept forgiving it and suspending my disbelief well past the point where I would normally do, until I finally got to the point where I just shook my head and thought 'WTF???'

I'd been got. I admit it. The cherry on top of this whole farce is that they actually FORESHADOWED the whole thing in the first episode: a train goes off the rails and becomes a smoking wreck. Just like this series in the final episode where the whole stupid shootout just rubs your face in it... ha ha! gotcha sucker! Then you reflect on alllllll the stuff you let slide before, all in a confident belief that it was all going to pull together at the end, and you realize not only how terrible this whole thing was, but how bad you've been played.

A list, in no particular order:

-Buffalo Soldiers, already warned that Griffin's bunch is on the way, fail to post sentries and are taken out easily. Who had the foresight and brains to inform them of this and ask for assistance?

-Whitey, the same guy who had the presence of mind to keep Goode's identity a secret, suddenly becomes a complete idiot and walks blindly into a fire zone and dies with a knife in his chest. After a lot of time was therefore wasted developing the whole story of him and...

-Louise Hobbs, the girl who didn't shed a tear after her entire family and everybody she ever knew was massacred, but does cry after Whitey dies, someone she never really got that close to. Know who else cried?

-Most everybody at Whitey's funeral. How many women died during a half-hour-long gunfight against 30 experienced murderous villains whom had just gotten the drop on and wiped out aforementioned Buffalo Soldiers? None apparently, since the funeral was for Whitey only. What???

• Griffin's gang, who had shown themselves to be more than cunning and dangerous, effecting well thought-out tactics in the past during robberies and such suddenly decide, after having a whole night to formulate a plan in advance, ah screw it, let's just ride into town like the with no recon like the biggest pile of morons on the planet. Best way to start a massive gunfight, right?

• Apparently, the best way for very experienced gunfighters to fight is to either sit on their horses or stand in the wide open street and just blast away at each other. Taking cover, at all, is for losers.

• Griffin's crew has been robbing everything in sight for over a decade at least, and not only do they not have any money, but not a single bounty hunter comes after them. Guess nobody bothered...

• Goode wakes up Granny butchering the elk she just shot. Obviously, he never saw her do it, yet is somehow able to tell Alice all about how she shot it later, after of course...

-They just so happen to arrive in time to stop Whitey from shooting at the black girl's dad. They had already finished hunting, so for what reason were they even there in the first place, let alone at the crucial moment?

-Speaking of showing at just the right time, where was Goode during the big final shootout? He was with Sheriff Magoo, traveling with him, yet showed up long after the Sheriff did. Guess he had drop a deuce or something...

• And what the hell was that flashback with the men going to the mine for the last time all about? You're telling me that every day, like clockwork, every woman in the town walked the men down to the mine, wearing their best clothes, so they could give them a nice big kiss before they go off to work?? Hell, even Whitey was in the group! WTF???

-Of course, much mention was made of the sole survivor, 'John Doe'. Who was he? Where does he live? Do you know? What's he looking for? My guess? Checkov's gun...

-They waste so much time on such pointless and irrelevant characters and backstories, yet when it comes to the actual relevant ones, like Alice's and Roy & Griffin's, it's hurried through and left lacking. What happened to Alice with the natives? How did Granny become so close? What was the 'final straw' that drove Roy away from Griffin? Who knows? Who cares? Let's have Sheriff Magoo talking with ghosts instead!

• And what was the entire point of having the mysticism aspect in the first place? They built up the whole 'I've seen my death and this ain't it' schtick during the whole series, so many times he enables its reality by escaping death so nonchalantly and confident, it almost DEMANDS there be some sort of telling resolution on the matter yet at the end they just whoop! Throw it out the window, and he dies otherwise, making the whole thing completely pointless.

And on and on and on... the more you reflect on the whole thing, after you realize you've been had, the more such holes and stupidities you realize. If you consider all the great acting, dialogue, imagery, individual scenes, cinematography...etc... involved, it's inconceivable to believe that this thing trainwrecked so badly through sheer ineptitude.

It has to be a joke.
  • This limited series is a straightforward Western with a great cast, high production value and is beautifully shot. It hits all the buttons you expect from a Western and leaves no cliché untouched. If you are a Western fan, then this show is for you.

However, under the surface there is not much. As a result, you find the individual episodes often a bit too long and story moving too slow. The episodes often tag over an hour and feel padded with ex-positional monologues. Nevertheless, the show is beautiful shot and aesthetically pleasing and the actors do such a great job.

Even if you are no a Western fan you might enjoy it just for its cinematography and cast. I am torn between saying this is an homage to the great Westerns of the past or just a rip-off of everything that made good Westerns are made of. Decide for yourself.

I give it 7 out of 10 for just being a great straightforward Western. But it could have been so much more. Give it a try you might like it, but be aware it can be kind of a slow-burner.
    After an intriguing first 3 or 4 episodes, this show turned into a string of weakly related plot events that seemed to have no real implications on the story. We are introduced to a surprisingly numerous amount of interesting characters throughout the show, but this was a 7 episode series, and it seems like they tried to make too many storylines for how much screen time was available. The plot is shallow and as another review pointed out, it was as if some scenes were written around a particular interaction between two characters without any regard to whether it made sense in the context of the story. I gave this a 5/10 because of how good the acting was and the efforts that were made with the scenery and score. Michelle Dockery was quite convincing in her role and I also enjoyed the performances of Roy, Frank, and the Sheriff. In fact, most of the characters were portrayed well, but were limited by the laughable writing and awkward scenes.

The show also had a clear PC agenda and we are force-fed scene after scene of lesbian romance. Speaking of which, the romantic aspects of this show were pretty disappointing. There was a great relationship brewing between Roy and Alice throughout the series and it seemed like there were several places to put in at least one quality love making scene with the two of them, or have some sort of deep emotional interaction. However, we have to wait until the second to last episode and at that point it just felt forced. There wasn't any passion and they pretty much just take each other's shirt off and then the scene ends.

The last two episodes made no sense at all and consisted of an illogical sequence of events that could not have happened within the same time frame. We see Roy getting ready for the final shootout and looking really determined in one scene, but he pretty much misses the entire fight. The whole fight scene is pretty much just shots of people shooting guns toward the camera and everyone standing out in the open. I think I saw one woman die 3 different times. Frank's men are shown dying over and over throughout this scene (and some other scenes), yet he seemingly always has the same number of men. Whitey decides to just stay in the Sheriff's office and then walk out in the open with two guns in his hand pointed at the ground, even though he is the one that suggested they all use the fortified hotel as a spot to make their last stand. Frank sits on his horse in the middle of everyone and no one shoots him throughout 15 minutes of gunfighting, even though they know he is their leader. Roy is sitting on a horse in front of all the bad guys and none of them manage to shoot him before he kills them. There weren't even any cool stunts with Roy or any of the main characters. Everyone just shoots each other to pieces while stand or running back and forth. It's almost like the director/writers envisioned some sort of Reservoir Dogs-esque moment where everyone kills each other, but it just didn't come off that way and wasn't very entertaining to watch. Finally, the end scene where he just leaves them to go to California to live with his brother based off a letter that was written 10 or 15 years ago was so lame.

tl;dr - Maybe watch the first few episodes, but probably stop after that.
  • ramcduff25 November 2017
    First and last episode were both very violent, but never as much as Bone Tomahawk - another recent Western. This is a typical Western, with a few twists (like a town without men). If you are a fan of Merritt Wever (Nurse Jackie), she continues to weave her magic as scene stealer extraordinaire. Jeff Daniels is better here than I ever remember him being. Basically, if you like Westerns, It is worth your while. If you don't, then watch if for Wever or Daniel or Dockery, if you particularly like those actors.
    If you enjoy gratuitous violence, an erratic story that jumps all over the place, then this series is for you! It's not for me. Because of the excellent acting and filmography I give it a 5, but sure won't be watching the other episodes. Do not believe those who say this is a "pure western" much less "classic". If the Old West had been like this no one would have survived into the 21st century.
  • Everywhere I read "it is the best series Netflix has produced" or "brilliant". Then why do I feel a little empty? Not dissatisfied, but disappointed that its potential has been partially wasted.

I will try not to give any plot spoilers. However the plot is cliché filled. Aren't all westerns? Yes, but this western attempts by 21st century political correct compliances to add something different.

Yet the old clichés dominate: "a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do"; small town threatened and defended Kurosawa like; hero rides off into the sun (a sequence that feels as though it takes a full ten minutes). In the end I missed "the dog named Blue" (although there is a much- used variation of this).

The pace of the series resembles, in my mind, a reading of a Henry James version of a Southern state's romance. The voice is good, the story is interesting. But do get a move on.

The photography IS excellent.

Some of the characters are interesting but too few are fully developed. The protagonist receives the best treatment. But I would have liked to have seen more of the German artist, the prostitute school teacher and especially the women who "entertained" the threat to their community.

My yardsticks are "Boardwalk Empire" and "Deadwood". "Godless" has none of the plot and character development of BE. To be honest, what can you do in seven episode? To be equally honest, a lot more.

On the subject of the horrific depictions of violence and the obscene representations of language in "Deadwood", even the awful violence in "Godless" works sanitised. I counted one swear word.

In that respect, "Godless" is a western for my old Grandmother with a taste of women's lib, lesbian determination and noble black men to remind us of our present day's "accepted truths".
  • Authentic, clever! All the actors are terrific.. Jeff Daniels amazing performance. Love the link to history. Outfits are well done.Music is great. Opening of the credits is artistic. really enjoy how the story unfolds and how the back stories are brought forward . just I think It was three problems: 1) Heroes can only be wounded, never killed. 2) The mining company bought the mine then disappeared 3) Heroes always know where the bad guys went and can always catch up to them, even with poor eye sight, while both are on horseback. Overall it's definitely still watchable,and a good TV western series .
  • andek34 February 2018
    Aften each episode I have a mouth full of water, because I have forgotten to swallow...
    So this is going to be short and not so sweet. I'd rate episode 1-6 at around 7ish. The story is a bit to slow paced, but interesting. We get to know the characters, they develop relationships, there's not much of character development, hence the 7/10.

Episode 7 just flat out punctures the whole show. I expect a final episode of a show to do a couple of things.

1. The main character(s) experiences change something within themselves. Nope.

2. The characters do/learn/change something. Nope.

3. I'm presented with a moral. Sorry.

4. All red strings are nicely tied up. Still nothing.

5. The choices the characters make are connected to what they have learned throughout the series. Nope.

6. A good plot twist. Did you expect something else? Nope.

The final episode was seriously so unpolished that I had to change my review from 7/10 to 2/10. Tip: don't blow your budget on a 2nd unit stunt crew if your movie doesn't have a polished ending. I'll add that it's a beautiful looking show.