User Reviews (51)

• I honestly can't remember the last time I saw a show where the main character was a wheelchair user played by an actor who actually uses a wheelchair. This alone makes the show a must-see. Admittedly there are the typical ABC-sitcom tropes: the corniness, the less-than-ideal acting, etc. But it's all worth it to see the way they tackle disabilities with an actor who experiences everything first-hand. As a viewer in a wheelchair, it was genuinely incredible. I cannot wait to see where the show goes in the future. I hope that this is one that sticks. If you don't care about it, chances are that you have never been disabled or affected by someone with a disability. (Which is disappointing as the messages in the show are aimed at you.) And if you are disabled, I would definitely recommend checking it out.
  • nillennir8 September 2016
    I have to say, some parts are over actuated in my opinion; but the situations are hilarious. I like that Micah Fowler have the same discapacity than in the series (but a minor degree) as like it was presented in the series switched at birth. Also any one with some degree of discapacity will find identificated with the situations in the comedy (i do). I lived a lot of the scenes in the chapter (for example get stop by the police -not doing anything wrong-, asked to get down of the car and when they see me i have no legs they just let me go. I hope you enjoy the show and like my review I can't rate it but i give it a 9/10.

PD: Sorry for my bad English, i speak Spanish.
  • jperry71428 September 2016
    This show, seems to be, something different from the usual sitcom fare. So I am going to try something different in this review. I am going to give my opinion and not present it as undeniable fact. I won't say that the show is funny, but I will admit that I found it funny. I personally enjoyed it more than the Goldbergs, though I do watch that show regularly and for the most part enjoy it. I missed the pilot of Speechless and base this opinion on the second episode. I found the acting to be fine, even the children. All of the kids made me laugh at one point or another. I think the actor cast as the new aid is perfect and shows a real chemistry with the special needs son he is charged with assisting. I understand that there will be negative reviews for just about any show, I just recommend you use them for what they are. Some stranger's opinion who, if you read them, seems to think that their opinion is fact. And if someone really thinks that if they don't laugh, then it's not funny period, then they don't understand what a sense of humor is.
  • LA Carlson21 September 2016
    Speechless simply put is perfection. Actress, singer songwriter Minnie Driver delivers what we all want to say but usually do not as the Mom. She's surrounded by a cast who shines right along with her. For anyone who felt unhinged growing up this show is for you; it's a great commentary on the things we do not normally see in a comedy. Nothing is perfect here and ins't that spectacular. Kinda like the way most of us live. The 30 minute length gives us just enough to look forward to more and Wednesday night is a perfect place for it. I hope the series creator, producer and writer Scott Silveri continues to elevate this show with great writing.
  • ljsdogs22 September 2016
    I just watched the first show and i love it. I don't usually get excited over new shows, can't remember the last new show i really liked. I hope this stays on for a long time. It usually takes a few episodes for the characters to click , but this is already clicking. Love all the people and their parts, very well done. Funny, charming. Went to the top of my must see list. Someone did something right with the casting and writing..good job !!will be telling my friends about it. Hope others like it as much as I do..I don't want to see this show get canceled. Hope the network gets the message and treats this gem with care and respect. We need more shows like this and I wouldn't be watching old movies on Roku.
  • This a new situation comedy about a "unique" family, a couple and 3 teenage kids, one of them is on a wheelchair using specialized equipment to communicate (like Stephen Hawking minus the electronic voice) because of cerebral palsy.

The dominant figure is the mother (played by Minnie Driver) who is heavily overprotective especially for her oldest son who can't walk or speak (thus the name of the series).

The cast is great, the dialogues and situation over-exaggerated but funny and there are statements about respect, sensitivity, kindness and acceptance.

Overall: Funny enough, good performances, the premise has potential, recommended.
  • after seeing the trailer for this i was not so sure what the outcome of it was going to be for me and my family however having just watched the pilot episode on hulu i gotta say that this is a remarkable unexpected treat for the family ts sweet heartfelt and hilarious i know i know the mother is annoying but the rest of the family make up where she is annoying i love the teen daughter and jj is da man hes hilarious and really a good example for kids with this disorder the rest of the family besides the mom are fantastic and i cant wait to see what happens next here yea it may be another predictable family comedy but its a good one and u should really try it
  • We watched the premier on some streaming service. 10 minutes in, my husband asked if I wanted to call it. i said no, we were committed to watching the whole thing.

Now, keep in mind -- we watch everything at least one time in the new season.

But after poking around online at all the pre-reviews, we are certainly in the minority. Everyone loves this -- except us.

We found it stupid, clichéd, predictable, and heavy handed. Just awful. Everyone else found it charming.

You choose. We could barely get through the premier.
  • Marilyn4 October 2016
    This show has so much potential. Many of my friends have been waiting for it to premiere. And then it turns out to be just stupid. Please write better. Don't make the mother a raving lunatic. You make it like us against the world. This offends many of those who are disabled and their families. Why can't you show a normal family and the challenges they face? This can be funny without being idiotic. I look forward to more development of the characters and hopefully better scripts. I have said all I have to say but apparently I have to write more. This is a very odd requirement. I like the cast, of course love the caretaker and the relationship he is forming with the kid. I don't know any character's names yet. I'm glad it got an entire season because I feel as if it would have been cancelled after a few shows at the rate it is going.
  • zif ofoz21 September 2016
    Not so much as a smile from me.

The scenes and dialog are like wee spoons of talking tossed out at you. Honestly the director must have said do this scene, now do this scene, now do this scene and on and on. Then took that basket full of scenes and spliced them together. The end result is little spoonfed scenes that fail to be funny - start to finish.

I actually feel sorry for the actors! Cedric Yarbrough (Reno 911) may have been the high point of the show but the weight of the unfunny will take him down with it. And the child actors are just creepy! One show is enough for me!
  • This terrifically funny sitcom has a rather odd structure. It's similar to shows like Fresh Off the Boat and the Real O'Neals, except that since the character the series is built around can't speak, his brother fills the role of POV character.

At the same time, neither of the brothers really powers the series. Instead, Minnie Driver's brilliant performance as their force-of-nature pushes everything forward. She is a complicated character, stubborn, guilt-ridden, neglectful of her other children yet wildly noble in her unstinting efforts to protect her neediest child.

In similar series, the family is often a generic backdrop to the kids, but here, the family itself is quite interesting; a rather bohemian group that functions as their own traveling circus.

When I first heard about a series centered around a disabled kid, I thought, that sounds depressing, but this series is anything but. JJ is severely disabled, but he's likable and funny, and the series does a good job of making disability seem like something you have to deal with rather than something that defines you. It's a series that takes something very serious and makes it fun without making fun of it.
  • The show felt really unbelievable. I know "cynical" is the new cool and style of shows but it was really contrived and disingenuous. I couldn't believe any of the characters. Everyone looked and felt like they were saying and acting the parts. I believe Cynic comes from a real place of pain and they all seemed like they had happy and easy lives. It felt Disney trying to be Amazon, HBO... The show also looked like it was shot in LA but they did a good job making everyone "white" east coast, middle-class, wonder bread and so boring. The whole show revolves around a family putting the special needs kid as the most important thing in their life, as well as the town accepting the disabled kid without much trials. I guess the problem starts with the concept because that in itself doesn't seem believable to me. Moving a whole family around with middle-school aged kids constantly, ruining their chance at going to college anda chance at a decent life for one special needs kid. Hmmm.
  • ..there are good actors in this production that are much better than this sub-par effort deserves. That's not to say it will not succeed, for God only knows, many even lesser efforts have repeatedly kept going. If you can get through the first ten minutes and cannot find fault, than there's not much else to say. The saying 'it takes all kinds' is no more true than in entertainment programming.. one man's joy is another's poison. Trying to fill ten lines when you've pretty much said all you had wanted to say is the most demanding challenge when writing about these kinds of programs. You can only say so much, and you keep questioning why you are attempting to write anything at all.
  • Minnie Driver must be a dog lover, because she keeps appearing in them. Watched this only because it was sandwiched between 2 of my favorite sitcoms (Goldbergs and Modern Family), but I don't think even that will save it. I appreciate that they are trying to appeal to an audience that few shows go after, but this thing is pitiful. I couldn't even muster a smile at any of it, though admittedly I only made it through the first 15 minutes. It reminds me of the last vehicle Robin Williams was part of, at least in terms of the complete lack of humor even though the cast tried like the dickens to make it funny. I suspect this show won't make it through a full season, which makes me feel bad for those who are associated with it, because I think they are trying to do something different and good. Better luck next time.
  • SKelly21 September 2016
    I really wanted to like this show. It's one episode, so I'll give it a few more watches, but at this point...

Half way through, there were only two moderately engaging characters: Kenneth (Cedric Yarbrough) and the brother Ray (Mason Cook). Then in the second half Kenneth sided with JJ, and, well...

It's all very sad - I went in expecting to feel something for JJ - but really, he's a total d**k. Minnie Driver, who I like, plays a b***h of a mother, the sister is OK but forgettable at this point, and John Bowie... I was so looking forward to something refreshing past his time as Kripke on BBT (which he did great, but still)... I just found his portrayal of the milk-toast husband OK at times but it ultimately fell flat.

None of this is on the actors - I just think the characters were ... well, they sucked. I'll watch another week or two. But if this sets the stage for this show, no longer than that.
    While the creating team of this new program packed an awful lot into the very first episode, I don't remember ever seeing a show that not only had me hooked within the first ten minutes the way this one did, but had me loving it more and more as it progressed and evolved. Admittedly many of the characters outside of the family, especially those in the school, were way over the top in the way they treated, mistreated, or mostly over-compensated for the "disabled" new kid (the teacher's and students' welcome when he first enters the classroom?), his reactions to all of them were hilarious. And Dina Spybey-Waters, whose character was crazy enough years ago in "Six Feet Under," was just as hilarious as his "voice." As others have stated on the message boards, all this kid wants is to be treated like anyone else. Not to mention he is witty and sarcastic as all get out.

And while his mother may be fighting a little (well, actually a lot) too hard for his rights and for him to be treated equally rather than special (trash or person?), the same as we gays have always wanted to be, and already has a reputation for going overboard at several other schools, I'm sure that her past experiences have caused her behavior to become more and more aggressive with each new neighborhood and school like this one with which she has had to deal with this kind of nonsense.

However, the initial conflict within the family unit and the way it was resolved in the end was truly heartwarming. The mom's admission of her over-protection of her wheelchair-bound son at the cost of neglecting her other son's needs and her left-handed apology to him wrapped up the whole episode like a warm fuzzy blanket. Corny? Maybe. But true enough.

The father and daughter characters have yet to be fully developed, but I believe that given enough time they'll be a big contribution to the show. But all around the writing and acting were all top-notch. And special mention must be made to Cedric Yarbrough's character as well as his portrayal. I love the way he confronted the defensive mother with his own experiences of being treated differently, but loved even more the way he and the kid bonded at the end, and I hope that he does end up being his "voice." They would make a great team.

Overall, I already adore this show and hope that it doesn't get cancelled the way other great but quirky shows on ABC like "Eli Stone" and "Better Off Ted" did years ago. It had me laughing and tearing up as well, and to me, that is a satisfying half hour of TV viewing that I look forward to each week. But alas, shows like the Kartrashians and other such ilk garner more of the American viewing public these days than wonderful shows like this, so I'm not getting my hopes up.
  • Having a couple of people with challenges in my own family, I was initially looking forward to how the network would handle this topic. Instead, I found this program so cringe-worthy, I could not get through it. I don't even think there was any working "chemistry" amongst the characters and did not find any of them particularly likable. I wasn't sure why the Mother was British, unless the creators felt she might be able to save the show from its mediocrity. And the ancillary characters were downright grating.

I'm sure the Brits would have done a much better job of creating a series like this.

The reality show, "Push Girls" was a true depiction of the challenges facing the disabled and might have given the creators some guidelines to follow.
    I watched the pilot and maybe second show of this, and lost interest. Then my sister asks me if I've been watching this show, and tells me how much she likes it, so I go back and start watching again, and I'll tell ya, this show is growing on me. I guess I never really thought of Minnie Driver being a sitcom-y actress, but she somehow works here. And the dude with the speech impediment from "Big Bang Theory" (John Ross Bowie) plays her hubbie (minus the speech impediment LOL. Cedric Yarbrough is playing some kind of in-house caregiver to their special needs child, and the two develop a relationship where they sorta use each other to their own benefit. LOL I dunno where this show is going, but I think I'll keep watching for now. Still not up to the quality of the other ABC favs, "The Middle" (which has moved to Tuesday nites), "Goldbergs" and "Modern Family", but this definitely has potential...
  • Finally a funny Sitcom without the awkwardness! Good writing, Good acting, a true rare gem. Laughter doesn't seem forced like other sitcoms. Give it a chance, you won't regret it i promise you.
    Well, there's some good things. I like some of the characters, i like Ray. He's the every man that can do anything, and the idea and some of the jokes. What i don't like is how they go about with the rest. How the plot would always take place on the parents and JJ rarely do the children or it's just ray and he never comes out at the end. There's a reason that this is on the bubble (or was when you're reading this review), because most of these episodes are hits or misses. I think they could at least get a second season if they at least tweak somethings. Like the plots, because i really find the parents boring and JJ doesn't help and ken, JJ's aide doesn't have that much character. He's the cool guy, i guess, but i rarely get to see the other characters interact at all. I get to see a sweet episode of Dylan and Ray sharing a room together as a compromise, but then i see episodes where he's beaten down or knocked down a peg, for no reason except for existing. Maybe there should be at least more characters with Ray, because watching the mother being a somewhat awful person is really boring.
  • eberys15 March 2017
    I love Speechless the only show I look forward to every week! Best show on TV! Must see for everyone! I love the episode where they go on a road trip hilarious when Ray (Mason Cook) plans behind their backs and Dylan (Kyla Kenedy) says "I am my curly haired mother's daughter"! This show literally makes me laugh out loud!
  • When I first saw the advertisements of Speechless. I knew that it was going to be a good show. I am hooked on watching it. It is very funny.I just love all the cast and the characters they are portraying to be.Better than some programs on TV today. At least there is no violence and good clean comedy. Can't say enough about it. Good work cast and crew! I have read through some of the other reviews and I have to disagree with some. This shows how a family with a special needs child makes struggles to make the best for him and at the same time allow him to make some of his own choices in life. People have to remember that the story line changes somewhat from week to week but the plot still remains the same which is the daily struggles and lives of a family with a special needs child. Not to be poked fun at in no way. I just silly clean comedy!
  • I just watched this show for the first time. This is a family comedy really? The talk is sex based the young actors are talking about boobs bikinis and more disgusting language. Parents I hope you are screening your kids TV shows. The producers idea of a comedy is some sick joke.
  • I have been waiting for the season premiere of this show for months and It didn't disappoint I laughed out loud I smiled I felt like part of the family just like in the first season this is really shaping up to be another hilarious season full of laughs and fun with the demaos you just cant get enough of them if you start watching them your for sure gonna want more no doubt about it
  • emilymarinez24 April 2017
    This show is fantastic. Not only is it hilarious but there's so many good lessons taught. The show is about a family of 5 and dealing with the everyday problems that they and more specifically their son JJ who has cerebral palsy. In the pilot episode the family is moving to a new school and everyone is trying to adjust to the house and school. Throughout the show the family has to deal with people who don't know how to treat the son. The mother is a fighter and will pick a fight with anyone and everyone who disrespects the family. She stands up to the school and makes sure she gets the best she can for her children. They always have each others backs no matter what and every problem they encounter, they always come through and help. They show how some people don't know how to react when they encounter a person with a disability. When JJ walks into class everyone applauds him, says he's such an inspiration and votes him for president. Also his teacher doesn't know how to correctly speak to him and mentions his disability and makes an awkward moment. She family does a great job of correcting people who say or do the wrong things and shows how he should be treated. This is definitely a must watch series. Between all the laughs and real life problems they go through it just makes it hard not to keep watching. It is a great show to make yourself laugh and to learn a few things and better your disability etiquette. Watch and enjoy!!!!