User Reviews (51)

• I honestly can't remember the last time I saw a show where the main character was a wheelchair user played by an actor who actually uses a wheelchair. This alone makes the show a must-see. Admittedly there are the typical ABC-sitcom tropes: the corniness, the less-than-ideal acting, etc. But it's all worth it to see the way they tackle disabilities with an actor who experiences everything first-hand. As a viewer in a wheelchair, it was genuinely incredible. I cannot wait to see where the show goes in the future. I hope that this is one that sticks. If you don't care about it, chances are that you have never been disabled or affected by someone with a disability. (Which is disappointing as the messages in the show are aimed at you.) And if you are disabled, I would definitely recommend checking it out.
  • nillennir8 September 2016
    I have to say, some parts are over actuated in my opinion; but the situations are hilarious. I like that Micah Fowler have the same discapacity than in the series (but a minor degree) as like it was presented in the series switched at birth. Also any one with some degree of discapacity will find identificated with the situations in the comedy (i do). I lived a lot of the scenes in the chapter (for example get stop by the police -not doing anything wrong-, asked to get down of the car and when they see me i have no legs they just let me go. I hope you enjoy the show and like my review I can't rate it but i give it a 9/10.

PD: Sorry for my bad English, i speak Spanish.
  • jperry71428 September 2016
    This show, seems to be, something different from the usual sitcom fare. So I am going to try something different in this review. I am going to give my opinion and not present it as undeniable fact. I won't say that the show is funny, but I will admit that I found it funny. I personally enjoyed it more than the Goldbergs, though I do watch that show regularly and for the most part enjoy it. I missed the pilot of Speechless and base this opinion on the second episode. I found the acting to be fine, even the children. All of the kids made me laugh at one point or another. I think the actor cast as the new aid is perfect and shows a real chemistry with the special needs son he is charged with assisting. I understand that there will be negative reviews for just about any show, I just recommend you use them for what they are. Some stranger's opinion who, if you read them, seems to think that their opinion is fact. And if someone really thinks that if they don't laugh, then it's not funny period, then they don't understand what a sense of humor is.
  • ljsdogs22 September 2016
    I just watched the first show and i love it. I don't usually get excited over new shows, can't remember the last new show i really liked. I hope this stays on for a long time. It usually takes a few episodes for the characters to click , but this is already clicking. Love all the people and their parts, very well done. Funny, charming. Went to the top of my must see list. Someone did something right with the casting and writing..good job !!will be telling my friends about it. Hope others like it as much as I do..I don't want to see this show get canceled. Hope the network gets the message and treats this gem with care and respect. We need more shows like this and I wouldn't be watching old movies on Roku.
  • lisacarlson21 September 2016
    Speechless simply put is perfection. Actress, singer songwriter Minnie Driver delivers what we all want to say but usually do not as the Mom. She's surrounded by a cast who shines right along with her. For anyone who felt unhinged growing up this show is for you; it's a great commentary on the things we do not normally see in a comedy. Nothing is perfect here and ins't that spectacular. Kinda like the way most of us live. The 30 minute length gives us just enough to look forward to more and Wednesday night is a perfect place for it. I hope the series creator, producer and writer Scott Silveri continues to elevate this show with great writing.
  • This a new situation comedy about a "unique" family, a couple and 3 teenage kids, one of them is on a wheelchair using specialized equipment to communicate (like Stephen Hawking minus the electronic voice) because of cerebral palsy.

The dominant figure is the mother (played by Minnie Driver) who is heavily overprotective especially for her oldest son who can't walk or speak (thus the name of the series).

The cast is great, the dialogues and situation over-exaggerated but funny and there are statements about respect, sensitivity, kindness and acceptance.

Overall: Funny enough, good performances, the premise has potential, recommended.
  • We watched the premier on some streaming service. 10 minutes in, my husband asked if I wanted to call it. i said no, we were committed to watching the whole thing.

Now, keep in mind -- we watch everything at least one time in the new season.

But after poking around online at all the pre-reviews, we are certainly in the minority. Everyone loves this -- except us.

We found it stupid, clichéd, predictable, and heavy handed. Just awful. Everyone else found it charming.

You choose. We could barely get through the premier.
  • after seeing the trailer for this i was not so sure what the outcome of it was going to be for me and my family however having just watched the pilot episode on hulu i gotta say that this is a remarkable unexpected treat for the family ts sweet heartfelt and hilarious i know i know the mother is annoying but the rest of the family make up where she is annoying i love the teen daughter and jj is da man hes hilarious and really a good example for kids with this disorder the rest of the family besides the mom are fantastic and i cant wait to see what happens next here yea it may be another predictable family comedy but its a good one and u should really try it
  • The show felt really unbelievable. I know "cynical" is the new cool and style of shows but it was really contrived and disingenuous. I couldn't believe any of the characters. Everyone looked and felt like they were saying and acting the parts. I believe Cynic comes from a real place of pain and they all seemed like they had happy and easy lives. It felt Disney trying to be Amazon, HBO... The show also looked like it was shot in LA but they did a good job making everyone "white" east coast, middle-class, wonder bread and so boring. The whole show revolves around a family putting the special needs kid as the most important thing in their life, as well as the town accepting the disabled kid without much trials. I guess the problem starts with the concept because that in itself doesn't seem believable to me. Moving a whole family around with middle-school aged kids constantly, ruining their chance at going to college anda chance at a decent life for one special needs kid. Hmmm.
  • cekadah21 September 2016
    Not so much as a smile from me.

The scenes and dialog are like wee spoons of talking tossed out at you. Honestly the director must have said do this scene, now do this scene, now do this scene and on and on. Then took that basket full of scenes and spliced them together. The end result is little spoonfed scenes that fail to be funny - start to finish.

I actually feel sorry for the actors! Cedric Yarbrough (Reno 911) may have been the high point of the show but the weight of the unfunny will take him down with it. And the child actors are just creepy! One show is enough for me!
  • sgromrt4 October 2016
    This show has so much potential. Many of my friends have been waiting for it to premiere. And then it turns out to be just stupid. Please write better. Don't make the mother a raving lunatic. You make it like us against the world. This offends many of those who are disabled and their families. Why can't you show a normal family and the challenges they face? This can be funny without being idiotic. I look forward to more development of the characters and hopefully better scripts. I have said all I have to say but apparently I have to write more. This is a very odd requirement. I like the cast, of course love the caretaker and the relationship he is forming with the kid. I don't know any character's names yet. I'm glad it got an entire season because I feel as if it would have been cancelled after a few shows at the rate it is going.
  • Minnie Driver must be a dog lover, because she keeps appearing in them. Watched this only because it was sandwiched between 2 of my favorite sitcoms (Goldbergs and Modern Family), but I don't think even that will save it. I appreciate that they are trying to appeal to an audience that few shows go after, but this thing is pitiful. I couldn't even muster a smile at any of it, though admittedly I only made it through the first 15 minutes. It reminds me of the last vehicle Robin Williams was part of, at least in terms of the complete lack of humor even though the cast tried like the dickens to make it funny. I suspect this show won't make it through a full season, which makes me feel bad for those who are associated with it, because I think they are trying to do something different and good. Better luck next time.
  • I really wanted to like this show. It's one episode, so I'll give it a few more watches, but at this point...

Half way through, there were only two moderately engaging characters: Kenneth (Cedric Yarbrough) and the brother Ray (Mason Cook). Then in the second half Kenneth sided with JJ, and, well...

It's all very sad - I went in expecting to feel something for JJ - but really, he's a total d**k. Minnie Driver, who I like, plays a b***h of a mother, the sister is OK but forgettable at this point, and John Bowie... I was so looking forward to something refreshing past his time as Kripke on BBT (which he did great, but still)... I just found his portrayal of the milk-toast husband OK at times but it ultimately fell flat.

None of this is on the actors - I just think the characters were ... well, they sucked. I'll watch another week or two. But if this sets the stage for this show, no longer than that.
  • Having a couple of people with challenges in my own family, I was initially looking forward to how the network would handle this topic. Instead, I found this program so cringe-worthy, I could not get through it. I don't even think there was any working "chemistry" amongst the characters and did not find any of them particularly likable. I wasn't sure why the Mother was British, unless the creators felt she might be able to save the show from its mediocrity. And the ancillary characters were downright grating.

I'm sure the Brits would have done a much better job of creating a series like this.

The reality show, "Push Girls" was a true depiction of the challenges facing the disabled and might have given the creators some guidelines to follow.
  • ..there are good actors in this production that are much better than this sub-par effort deserves. That's not to say it will not succeed, for God only knows, many even lesser efforts have repeatedly kept going. If you can get through the first ten minutes and cannot find fault, than there's not much else to say. The saying 'it takes all kinds' is no more true than in entertainment programming.. one man's joy is another's poison. Trying to fill ten lines when you've pretty much said all you had wanted to say is the most demanding challenge when writing about these kinds of programs. You can only say so much, and you keep questioning why you are attempting to write anything at all.
  • This terrifically funny sitcom has a rather odd structure. It's similar to shows like Fresh Off the Boat and the Real O'Neals, except that since the character the series is built around can't speak, his brother fills the role of POV character.

At the same time, neither of the brothers really powers the series. Instead, Minnie Driver's brilliant performance as their force-of-nature pushes everything forward. She is a complicated character, stubborn, guilt-ridden, neglectful of her other children yet wildly noble in her unstinting efforts to protect her neediest child.

In similar series, the family is often a generic backdrop to the kids, but here, the family itself is quite interesting; a rather bohemian group that functions as their own traveling circus.

When I first heard about a series centered around a disabled kid, I thought, that sounds depressing, but this series is anything but. JJ is severely disabled, but he's likable and funny, and the series does a good job of making disability seem like something you have to deal with rather than something that defines you. It's a series that takes something very serious and makes it fun without making fun of it.
    While the creating team of this new program packed an awful lot into the very first episode, I don't remember ever seeing a show that not only had me hooked within the first ten minutes the way this one did, but had me loving it more and more as it progressed and evolved. Admittedly many of the characters outside of the family, especially those in the school, were way over the top in the way they treated, mistreated, or mostly over-compensated for the "disabled" new kid (the teacher's and students' welcome when he first enters the classroom?), his reactions to all of them were hilarious. And Dina Spybey-Waters, whose character was crazy enough years ago in "Six Feet Under," was just as hilarious as his "voice." As others have stated on the message boards, all this kid wants is to be treated like anyone else. Not to mention he is witty and sarcastic as all get out.

And while his mother may be fighting a little (well, actually a lot) too hard for his rights and for him to be treated equally rather than special (trash or person?), the same as we gays have always wanted to be, and already has a reputation for going overboard at several other schools, I'm sure that her past experiences have caused her behavior to become more and more aggressive with each new neighborhood and school like this one with which she has had to deal with this kind of nonsense.

However, the initial conflict within the family unit and the way it was resolved in the end was truly heartwarming. The mom's admission of her over-protection of her wheelchair-bound son at the cost of neglecting her other son's needs and her left-handed apology to him wrapped up the whole episode like a warm fuzzy blanket. Corny? Maybe. But true enough.

The father and daughter characters have yet to be fully developed, but I believe that given enough time they'll be a big contribution to the show. But all around the writing and acting were all top-notch. And special mention must be made to Cedric Yarbrough's character as well as his portrayal. I love the way he confronted the defensive mother with his own experiences of being treated differently, but loved even more the way he and the kid bonded at the end, and I hope that he does end up being his "voice." They would make a great team.

Overall, I already adore this show and hope that it doesn't get cancelled the way other great but quirky shows on ABC like "Eli Stone" and "Better Off Ted" did years ago. It had me laughing and tearing up as well, and to me, that is a satisfying half hour of TV viewing that I look forward to each week. But alas, shows like the Kartrashians and other such ilk garner more of the American viewing public these days than wonderful shows like this, so I'm not getting my hopes up.
    I watched the pilot and maybe second show of this, and lost interest. Then my sister asks me if I've been watching this show, and tells me how much she likes it, so I go back and start watching again, and I'll tell ya, this show is growing on me. I guess I never really thought of Minnie Driver being a sitcom-y actress, but she somehow works here. And the dude with the speech impediment from "Big Bang Theory" (John Ross Bowie) plays her hubbie (minus the speech impediment LOL. Cedric Yarbrough is playing some kind of in-house caregiver to their special needs child, and the two develop a relationship where they sorta use each other to their own benefit. LOL I dunno where this show is going, but I think I'll keep watching for now. Still not up to the quality of the other ABC favs, "The Middle" (which has moved to Tuesday nites), "Goldbergs" and "Modern Family", but this definitely has potential...
  • eberys15 March 2017
    I love Speechless the only show I look forward to every week! Best show on TV! Must see for everyone! I love the episode where they go on a road trip hilarious when Ray (Mason Cook) plans behind their backs and Dylan (Kyla Kenedy) says "I am my curly haired mother's daughter"! This show literally makes me laugh out loud!
  • byson518612 October 2017
    Prime Time T.V. shows coming out try to be funny and original. This T.V. show is both, and it shows us how awesome and normal a kid with disabilities can be!! My title is an allusion to Katy Perry's song Firework. You'll feel that same way about J.J.

So about this show being original, it helps us get to know a family and a teen with cerebral palsy. He can't walk, and gets around in a wheelchair. He also can't speak, but he's not deaf. He doesn't communicate with sign language, but he uses his head gear with a laser where he points to a board, and everybody around him always seems to immediately know what he's trying to say?

We have J.J.'s Mom, Maya. She speaks in a British accent, which alone makes the character more interesting. Maya loves J.J. so much, and will do anything for him. She and the family frequently can get away with things when they use having a disabled son as an excuse. But, Maya fights for everything to get her son involved in regular activities in school and feel as normal as the other kids, not just because he's disabled. She's also into giving J.J. anything he wants, even if she doesn't like it.

We have J.J.'s caretaker Kenneth. Kenneth is a big older black guy, who lives in his own apartment away from the Dimeo family, but he really feels like he's part of their family. He almost always is with them when we see the family together. Kenneth is a funny man, and feels like he is doing something with his life helping out J.J. We occasionally hear some of his backstory prior to helping J.J. and other things he does aside from assisting J.J.

We have the other characters: Dylan, Jimmie, and Ray. I don't find these characters as interesting. They don't get as much attention as J.J. does, but they are all very supportive of J.J. and would do anything for him. Ray is a dorky guy trying to fit in, and the voice of reason. Dylan is a tough girl that seems real smart in her responses. Jimmie seems a little whacko and doesn't take things seriously. He reminds me of the Dad in Modern Family.

We also have their house and big van. The house is an older house small, and not the nicest looking house. It's a mess and disorganized as this family mostly shows to be disorganized. We have the big van which holds a wheelchair and Maya can get away with speeding.

Anyway, this T.V. show is really funny and can get me laughing. This T.V. show brings prime-time into teaching how awesome and normal a kid with a disability can be. This isn't like Sesame Street having a character in the main cast not speak and use sign language. Or, this isn't like a discovery show you'll see on T.V. talking about kids with disabilities. This is prime-time, comedy. We see a whacko family and funny caretaker doing the best to live their lives and take care of a disabled family member. J.J. is a character we'll like. He really shows his personality, and the things he wants in life. Even though he can't speak or walk, he seems pretty normal aside from that. He isn't an annoying kid with disabilities that you won't like. For example, the only other acting role the actor that plays J.J. Micah Fowler has been in is a movie called Labor Day. For the brief scene he was in, he seemed to be portrayed like an annoying disabled kid. But, in this T.V. show he really is somebody we care for and who doesn't seem annoying. A Prime-Time show can show how inspiring a disabled kid can be through comedy, which makes it more entertaining than trying to teach the same lesson through a Discovery Show, or kids education show.

I'm so happy this T.V. show made it to a second season. I hope it lasts many more seasons. I'm sure it will inspire kids who are disabled through comedy!!
  • When I first saw the advertisements of Speechless. I knew that it was going to be a good show. I am hooked on watching it. It is very funny.I just love all the cast and the characters they are portraying to be.Better than some programs on TV today. At least there is no violence and good clean comedy. Can't say enough about it. Good work cast and crew! I have read through some of the other reviews and I have to disagree with some. This shows how a family with a special needs child makes struggles to make the best for him and at the same time allow him to make some of his own choices in life. People have to remember that the story line changes somewhat from week to week but the plot still remains the same which is the daily struggles and lives of a family with a special needs child. Not to be poked fun at in no way. I just silly clean comedy!
  • I have been waiting for the season premiere of this show for months and It didn't disappoint I laughed out loud I smiled I felt like part of the family just like in the first season this is really shaping up to be another hilarious season full of laughs and fun with the demaos you just cant get enough of them if you start watching them your for sure gonna want more no doubt about it
  • madditare15 April 2017
    This episode is about a family who struggles to find their son J.J, who has cerebral palsy the accommodations he needs. This episode was funny, Witty and expressed how ignorant people can be towards disability etiquette. J.J is not the only character who struggles with adversity his family does as well. Their family has been constantly moving around to try and accommodate J.J but his brother struggles with constantly moving around and feels neglected. J. J's mother comes off very strong and dedicated to her son. The principle is taken back from the mom's aggressiveness but she has to be like that in order for J.J to get what he needs. This episode sent a powerful message to its viewers that everyone should be treated as a human and not "trash". When other characters first met J.J they made him feel so different than everyone else and treated him differently. I would defiantly recommend others to watch this episode to get an inside on how some people with disabilities are treated and the adversities they have to overcome. This episode conveyed the message that no matter who you are, or what kind of disability you have you should be treated like a human and given respect. In the beginning of the episode, the mom parked in a handicap spot and as soon as she did another lady with a pass immediately said something to her. All Maya had to do was simply open up her van for her son to be visible and that immediately made the other woman quite. J. J's mother had high hopes for this school and was immediately turned off when she saw the ramp the school provided for her son, when in fact it was really a garbage ramp and not for children with disabilities (e.g. 07:50-8:40). This just showed how ignorant the principle was to believe that a parent would be okay with this kind of "accommodation". To prove how disrespectful this ramp was, Maya played a game called "human or trash" to prove her point. This episode demonstrated how the school failed to meet J. J's needs. However, the school did provide J.J with an aid to help him around school so he would not have to be in a special Ed class anymore. This aid allowed J.J to have a voice and to not rely on his mother's voice. When J.J entered his classroom, this scene immediately demonstrated inspirational porn (e.g. 09:38-10:37). His teacher kept repeating "he's here, he's here" as if J.J was a celebrity and had the rest of the students clapping for J.J. Then the teacher had the students stand up and clap and as soon as they did that he immediately said "oh god, he can't stand how insensitive" and had everyone sit back down. This teacher was extremely ignorant to disability etiquette and how you are supposed to treat someone. He did not think before he spoke. One of the students came up to J.J and held up a poster it said "J.J for president". J.J did not understand why he should be president because no one even knew him yet, and the teacher response "because you are an inspiration". According to (Young, 2014) people think that if you are disabled you are exceptional. Inspirational porn makes people think that no matter how bad my life is I could be that person. It is supposed to make you feel better about your life. What people don't understand is that these people are just doing ordinary activities using their bodies to the best of their ability. It is okay to want to exercise more so you, yourself become healthier but it is not okay to use people with disabilities as your own motivation (Young, 2024). This episode effectively showed how some people do not have any disability etiquette. Hopefully after viewers watch this episode they will be more aware on how to treat others with respect.
  • The show is hilarious with touching moments and well written characters. My only issues are concerning all the negativity towards Ray (who seems to be the saddest, unluckiest kid on Earth). At least give the boy one lucky day it's becoming annoying. Yet he solves majority of the family conflicts. Also the mother is always overbearing towards JJ which is brilliant and cringing at the same time. She can be beautifully loving and tenaciously wicked in an instant. JJ and Kenneth are hilarious together. The father and Dylan are also an hilarious duo.
  • sarareardon11 April 2017
    From only seeing one episode of this show, it is about a family of five trying to find a place where one of the kids, JJ, is accepted with his disability. In this particular episode, I really noticed how much the family was affected from constantly moving around and how they are treated because they have a family member with a disability. From moving around, the children lose all their friends they previously made at their old school. Also, they get picked on in school for having a brother who is in a wheelchair. Additionally, the mother, who is very passionate about people with disabilities, often times loses her temper, which results in people thinking she is crazy. The family moves to a new school so that JJ could get a full time aid, which he does, but the school does not have a ramp in the front of the school. However, an unexpected aid comes to the rescue to be with JJ all the time towards the end of the episode which was beneficial both mentally and emotionally for JJ. I would strongly recommend this show to others as it is very funny to watch, but also has a serious side that speaks positively about disabilities.