User Reviews (49)

• The first episode was a very well balanced blend of action, character development, humor, unpredictability and intensity. Also great scenery, and a nice incorporation of the culture of the 1970's.

I have absolutely no idea where this series is going, but it's easy to get invested in the characters - something that is often overlooked in new series.
  • I saw the movie, so I had some hesitations before giving this serie a chance. But I was pleasantly surprised. Of course they spiced it up a little, so you get a mix of something inspired on true events and a juicy family soap. If the level of production doesn't crumble (like American crime story) the following episodes, I'm in for a nice season.
  • iix-314226 April 2018
    After being flooded with crap like "Deception, Station garbage and other" here comes good TV. Acting is solid. Writing is solid. As much as I can write reviews about crap TV, I got to give this one a 10.
  • From the very outset, this chilling portrait of a family in turmoil grabs the viewer by the throat and forces you to walk through the foray of penultimate storytelling at the hands of Beaufoy, beautifully crafted by the vision of Boyle.

From Sutherland's seething view of J Paul, to the brilliant characterization of Brendan Frazer, this series proves to be everything the big screen version couldn't live up to; riveting abridgment that seems intent to begin a slowburn with ample kindling and fierce fuel.

It's high time we acknowledge the ability of fabulous craftsmen to tell a vivid portrayal just as spectacularly on the small screen as that of the theater screen.

This looks to be a wild and entrancing ride that I very much look forward to viewing. My only regret is that this is not available for binging and we must endure a weekly wait for the next installment.
  • This is a tragic but true story surrounding THE most wealthiest family in the entire world. J. Paul Getty during the 1970's WAS THE richest man in the entire world and he was portrayed in this biography by esteemed actor Donald Sutherland who bares an uncanny resemblance to the real J. Paul Getty.

The first episode titled, The House of Getty, focuses on the death by drugs and by harakiri suicide of J. Paul Getty's eldest son George. The aftermath of the suicide represents what this dysfunctional families inherent wealth and power breeds. After the funeral J. Paul Getty is witnessed alone in his room berating his remaining heirs that are his other four (4) sons, three (3) of which are simultaneously hiding in one of their fathers mansions bathrooms sharing a cigarette and talking negatively about why none of them want to accept the responsibilities that their now deceased brother George once held.

It is during the aftermath of George Getty's funeral that a dishevelled and inappropriately dressed teenager named John Paul Getty III shows up at his grandfather's mansion with a plan in mind to either request or steal sufficient funds from his grandfather that would allow him to return to Rome and continue partying which is where he most recently was residing and enjoying his young life.

Donald Sutherland's portrayal of J. Paul Getty the richest man in the world is electrifying and one of a man who lived and shared money like a miser would, with no friends, far too many ex-wives, five (5) sons and a harem of mistresses who reside in his mansion and are available to him on his beckon call 24 hours per day and night. The opening episode is far from the over the top opulence and skulduggery of such former TV series such as Dallas, Dynasty and Flamingo Road. Instead, we are witnesses to a Getty family and his servants and mistresses that are all fearful of the man at the very top and who tend to walk on eggshells around him, cautious not to say the wrong thing in his presence.

I was very impressed with this opening episode and I am looking forward to seeing in future episodes of this Tv mini-series how J. Paul Getty reacts to the news of his grandson's presumed kidnapping in Rome.
  • I recently saw the Ridley Scott version of this story (you know, the one that does not have Kevin Spacey in it any more) and I just had to post and say, this just totally blows that out of the water.

That was a mediocre movie, not even beautiful, which is the least I'd expect from Ridley, but this is just fantastic, on every level.

The sheer charisma of this film-making is an utter joy to behold and evident across the direction, the performances, thumps out of the soundtrack, every part of this production is innovative, dazzling, fizzing.

My only slight, slight criticism is that the 4th wall breaking stuff from Brendan Fraser is too inconsistent and should have either been ditched or made much more of, more often. I guess they thought it was gonna be a big 'feature' when they were writing it and filming it, but then in the cutting room found they just had so much gold, they just didn't know what to do with it all!

Jump on the ride here, its fab and you wont regret it.
  • This series started with amazing camera work, and continued very strong the whole first episode. It's interesting to compare it to the movie - and the series are better in every way. Better music, better acting, better directing, better everything. This proves once again that cable and pay TV have surpassed the movies when it comes to storytelling. It's also interesting to see how fluid and entertaining Danny Boyle tells the story compared to RidleyScotts boring directing and telling of the story in the movie. This series is really promising, and after one episode it has already set the sights very high. Looking forward to the rest.
  • Donald Sutherland delivers a wonderful characterization. Like it more than the movies
  • 8 reviews thus far, that surprises me. It also doesn't surprise me at all. It is not fast paced, semi-funny, cheap Netflix content, therefore not appreciated.

The synopsis is very interesting, the story-line intriguing. The acting rock solid, no-one exempted. Characters al have proper backstories and are interesting from the get go. The pilot had all the ingredients of a great show.
  • I have to say that I'm so amused by the not negligible number of reviewers here on IMDb, who dare to give 10/10 to some series based on the first episode (or couple of them). And compares it with this and that. It just shows superficiality and sallowness of today's world and IMDb as well. IMDb should save minimum dignity and disqualify such reviewers because their opinion is basically based on nothing. Regards!
  • It looks like Danny Boyle, sounds like Danny Boyle. But, that's where it ends.

The story is not Danny Boyle and is stretched beyond belief. This story could have been easily nailed in 3 parts, instead we have 10 episodes of which at least 5 are pointless and it doesn't end there!!!

Not as good as the film, which managed to condense this story into 2hrs.
  • Just finished binge watching all 10 episode ( over two nights) Like many of my fellow IMDb reviewers, I felt it was a fairly decent retelling of the Getty kidnapping and aftermath and just like many here, I too felt it could have been wrap up in 6 episodes or less. In other words, if you've got around 15 hours to kill, give "Trust" a shot. You could always do worse
  • I am really enjoying Trust, not least because I am fan of Danny Boyle. Some people may poke holes at the relatively loose attention that is paid to the historical accuracy of the script but I think it all works, really well. 9/10
  • csos18 October 2018
    But toooooo sloooooow. Far too much filling, especially from episodes 5 onwards. Terrific story and I loved all the acting - all first rate but it could have been told better in six episodes. The final episode was the slowest of all. I started off loving the show but lost interest halfway through when I was shouting at the screen Get On With It but it never did. I mean did they make Danny Boyle slow it down to fill 10 episodes. I suppose they did.
  • What I liked most about it was the raw and humane emotions shown trough out the ten episodes. I loved how they tried to capture the captor's lives as much as Paul's. The last episode was absolutely stunning. I loved the vague way it ended, how you had to "google" more if you were interested, but even if you just left the whole Getty story at the end of "Trust" it would still be very unique and amazing.

Harris Dickinson does such a good job playing JPGIII and Hilary Swank is amazing. I loved how they seemed to actually be the characters and all their complicated feelings actually felt genuine.

The fact that the series didn't have such a positive outlook on the whole kidnapping and especially on the consequences was what made me fall in love with this all over again.

The soundtrack was amazing, especially how they managed to incorporate two Pink Floyd songs in the first two episodes, which I generally think are songs, that are very hard to understand and not appropriate in every context.
  • lindab_2915 May 2018
    This series could be cut in half and still be too long. I wonder how true it is too.
  • The screenplay is perfect, the performance of the actors is flawless, Donald Sutherland's performance had to be mentioned alone: outstanding and couldn't really tell that he was acting, the choice of the actors is very neat. The events provoke my mind in a very twisted way. I hope they go for season 2 and 3.
  • You could easily lose the will to live watching this series. The whole story could have been told in a couple of hours. So many lengthy boring passages. The Italian kidnappers scenes were the worst particularly the wandering over the mountains. We grasp quickly that the patriarch Getty is a vile monster but that had to be reiterated and laboured again and again. I am sickened by the whole tale. Hilary Swank plays a loving caring mother, but it was in her care that the young Paul was allowed to go completely off the rails in his early teens. Hard to make sense of this characterisation. Brendan Frazier plays a great character. Not sure why he suddenly starts talking to the camera towards the end of the story. Very dissatisfied with this series. Promised much delivered little.
  • I was in grade school when Getty was kidnapped , and it is interesting to see a well acted and written show based on the events. They really capture the feel of the era well, when we didn't know how bad sex and drugs could be for you, and we thought we were experiencing them for the first time.

Most of the actors are good, especially the one who plays the grandson. His spacey affect is just enough to seem real, an authentic depiction of a doper kid at the time (and weren't we all?).

The only flaw I see the is PC shoe horning in of the subplot showing the mom, played by an aging, toothy Hillary Swank, as the only one with integrity and brains. She takes over the whole deal, because the men have screwed everything up so badly. Yet they don't tell us how she makes the rent, and isn't she the one who allowed her 16 year old son to run wild?

Swank's boyfriend is depicted as a real A-hole, yet, he is one of the few major characters ever seen doing any actual work. In addition, the diatribe he launches into about little Paul helping him out and doing a little work is some of the only sensible parenting seen in the whole piece.

I don't know what role, if any, the mother took in the negotiations in real life. I do know that we all thought it was incredibly weird that the richest man in the world wasn't paying, and we assumed he must be incredibly cheap. When a certain persons certain appendage got cut off, everybody in the world took note.

It is fun to watch a series showing a way that it might have gone down, even if it is a PC'd up version. The real facts might be air brushed out of the picture, but it is still well drawn.
  • Im very torn on this series. On one hand I really enjoy the scenes with Donald Sutherland and Brendan Fraser but all the scenes involving the kidnappers in Italy are so cliché and the build up to the molestation of young Getty is SO londwinded and not thrilling. I feel they should have cut a lot of these scenes out and depicted the italian characters in a more nuanced fashion instead of painting a picture of all italians being potential mafiosi.
  • zara-305048 November 2018
    So many scenes prolonged unnecessary. The film should be made in three parts that would be enough. Good acting of Donald Sutherland.
    Perhaps they heeded my advice about the non-linear editing? The last episodes were linear thank G. I agree with previous posts it was too long. Too arty self-indulgent. The euphemism is "Like watching a train wreck. Tragic but you just can't turn away." This miniseries was an exercise in masochism with sadism thrown in. So perhaps Rome was the ideal setting. Kudos to Sutherland, the rock that held this together. Few characters I've seen engendered more hate in me, knowing he was portraying such an evil person who actually existed. No wonder the kid was F-ed up. Swank was fantastic as the alarmed loving mother. At the end of the final teaser I was tempted to see if he really died or not. Yay! Getty senior finally admits he was wrong! I did get emotional in the final scene during that sustained rapturous hug. So raising my rating from 5 to 7 since the non-linear editing was only abusive in that one episode.
    While I found the series interesting, with fine acting, I can't rate it higher than a "1" when it comes to accuracy.

MAJOR, MAJOR SPOILER ALERT FOLLOWS - if you plan on watching "Trust" and don't want to read any spoiler alerts, please stop reading now!

The most notorious aspect of the kidnapping (other than the wealthy grandfather refusing initially to pay any ransom) would have to be the victim having his ear cut off, and sent to his family. In the real-life case, there's no doubt the kidnappers did the dirty deed; the victim, after his release, said so in an interview. Not so in the "Trust" version:

In episode 8, after a deal to pay the ransom falls through, the kidnappers decide to kill the victim. The teenage son of one of the kidnappers, hearing this, races to the cave where the victim's being held, frees him, and tells him to run away. The victim realizes running away won't work - any villager he came across would likely return him to the mafia kidnappers (as happens in a previous episode). So in a desperate attempt to save his own life, the victim begs the teenager to cut off one of his ears and send it to his family, to pressure them into paying the ransom. The teenager reluctantly obliges.

To change this major element of the kidnapping - from the kidnappers cutting off their victim's ear, to the victim asking for this to be done - is kind of like taking a real life case of a woman being kidnapped and raped, and changing this, so that in your fictional version, the victim asks for it!

Why would the producers change this element of the story - is it because the writers and producers did no research whatsoever? Did they feel that kidnappers cutting off their victim's ear isn't dramatic enough? Were they afraid of antagonizing the real mafia? ("I realize we're portraying the mafia as kidnappers and killers, but if we also portray them as mutilators, why, they might be angry at us! We better change that! I know, we'll have the victim ask to have his ear cut off!")

So if you want to watch some interesting fiction, this series fits the bill. If you want to watch an accurate rendering of the Getty kidnapping, look elsewhere.
    It's been a while since I watched the tv episodes but they are definitely much better than the movie! Getty was a real a**hole to everyone, especially his family!!!
  • I watched this on Netflix, and although it wasn't a Netflix production it follows the Netflix formula: ten hour long episodes per season. There was no need for this to be ten hours long. There was enough story to fill three, maybe four, episodes. The first couple of episodes were quite good. But then, true to the Netflix formula, there is an extraordinary amount of filler, like the butler storyline and one episode is spent almost exclusively on covering the confirmation of the son of one of the kidnappers.

I am sick and tired of the "slow burn" fad. Making something progress slowly does not automatically make it good.

That said, the acting is good, especially Sutherland and Brendan Fraser. Nice to see that he's back in the game. My main gripe is that the actor playing the main character, who is supposed to be 16 years old, looks far too old, like he's in his mid 20's.

If you have ten hours to spare, this is a good series to watch. Although I recommend having the fast forward button at the ready.

On a side note, one of the locations in the movie is the restaurant Sabatini in Trastevere, Rome. Whatever you do, do NOT go to that restaurant. They are famous for scamming tourists by adding "service" charges printed with minimal letters hidden away in the menu. Wildly expensive and garbage quality, a true tourist trap.