User Reviews (581)

• As many critics have pointed out, this isn't a spoof of Star Trek. It's not exactly an homage either. The best way I can describe it is that MacFarlane wanted to make a Star Trek show that recalls that franchise's earlier days, back before it became an action blockbuster film series and before the TV shows started becoming dark and grim and edgy. MacFarlane is making his own version of the original Star Trek, and he is a new Captain Kirk. All the optimism and sincerity and lightheartedness of that show is here, and in many ways it's kind of wonderful. I'm honestly surprised something like this exists.

There's some off-color humor, but it's never (so far at least) particularly offensive, or at least its offensiveness pales in comparison to many of McFarlane's other works. Still, it's distinctly him, so it's not going to be appealing to everyone.

In any case, I've really enjoyed The Orville. It's not a perfect show. Some of the jokes do fall flat. But I love its spirit. I love that someone is actually trying to make a Star Trek show that isn't just filled with explosions, space battles and gritty action. You should check it out and make up your own mind. Maybe you'll hate it, but maybe not. It's fun and kind of sweet and I'm happy it's a thing, however weird and unexpected it might be.

Update: November 2017 The show keeps getting better from week to week and it seem has now found its groove. The Orville uses its adventure-of-the-week format to explore modern-day social issues and tackle current moral dilemmas in a sci-fi venue. The show is refreshingly progressive in its politics, and optimistic to its core. It is a Star Trek show for folks who want something a bit old-school. By not having a budget (or requirements) for wall-to-wall spectacle, the hour-long Fox show is forced to focus on character, chemistry, sci-fi plotting and moral debates that have partially defined Gene Roddenberry's property for generations. (though the special effects look superb and almost movie like)

Yes, to a certain extent it's fan fiction, but then so is so much of our current pop culture entertainment. But by being a network television show, it is forced to be the kind of Star Trek that fans claim the recent movies have neglected in favor of four-quadrant blockbuster thrills. The Orville is not a spoof, but rather a straight-faced Trek show with characters who are funny and which you can learn to love.
  • Once again the "professional" critics still think that even in the trying times we're living in, we want everything to be dark and gritty. They are stuck in the 2000-2010 decade where everyone was floored by Christopher Nolan's Batman performance and the Debut of "Walking Dead which ushered in the pop culture's shift to a darker take on fiction.

The critics don't understand those of us who want to go back to a universe where nobody has to work hard for food, shelter, water, and health. Everything you need is generated out of an abundance of energy, you can go wherever you want in the known galaxy, and there's a sense of wonder, awe and adventure. We want a future where people aren't mindless, humorless drones going about their day, a future where most of your energy and focus goes on the people you care about and an enrichment of your hobbies, skills, and knowledge, not the drudgery, fear, monotony, and negativity of everyday life. Star Trek fans have been hungering for a series like this since TNG ended in 1994. 23 years was far too long a time to wait, but the wait is finally over!

Aside from a pilot drinking a beer while flying, no interaction between the crew, no matter how crass or juvenile they get with each other, seemed to be all that much more unlikely than a normal interaction between co-workers. It makes the crew relatable and is not that hard to believe would be how humans in their situation would use humor to form bonds and diffuse stressful situations.

As this was the very first episode, there were some moments where improvements could have been made in dialogue or pacing, but overall it was a great show. Besides, it took Star Trek TNG more than a whole season before "growing a beard" and finding its stride.
  • JarJarAbrams officially destroyed StarTrek when he made his disgusting reboot of StarTrek in 2009. That is literally true. He purposely chose a story that literally erased all events that happened in all the years the StarTrek series and movies took place... except perhaps StarTrek Enterprise. Of course he not only erased the timeline, he erased everything good and distinctive about the StarTrek universe and everything that made StarTrek special.

The new STD (StarTrek Discovery) continues that tradition of destruction by changing pretty much everything. Garbage, just total garbage.

Seemingly to put the final nail in the coffin of StarTrek, this Orville series was released on Fox TV just a couple weeks before STD. Since the show was created by a gross comedian Seth McFarland, everyone assumed Orville would be a horrible, gross, cheap, crappy-looking parody of StarTrek designed to mock StarTrek.

##### WRONG ##### After four episodes, Orville is more like StarTrek than StarTrek! The production quality is mind boggling! No low budget here! Crammed full of the most gorgeous sets, fabulous aliens, makeup, and wardrobe, spectacular special effects, orchestra music... the works! Far, far better than anything StarTrek ever created.

Freaking awesome. How is this possible? Well, I did not know before that it turns out this Seth McFarland guy has been a long-time huge fan of StarTrek. And Orville is not a parody or mock of StarTrek but a super flattering love letter by way of imitation.

Of course they had to change the names of characters and races to avoid violating StarTrek copyrights, but they absolutely captured the essence of what made StarTrek special... the sensibility, great characters, great stories, and a positive, hopeful future.

To be sure, Orville has its weaknesses. First and foremost, now and then Orville contains a bit of crude humor. After 4 episodes they appear to be learning "this doesn't work", and the crude humor is gradually being scaled back.

In contrast, the light humor is mostly excellent. For an example, see the bit about "the dancing hombre in the holodeck" in episode 3 (and the wry annoyed reaction from the captain).

What's amazing is... they stories are excellent science fiction AND contain excellent thoughtful social situations that are not force fed down your throat (like everyone else does these days, including STD).

After 4 episodes the quality is shocking when you realize it took the other series two or three years to gain their footing. And they are approaching superb by their 4 episodes? !!! Wow.

This is a can't miss. Watch it every Thursday night, but first find a way to watch the previous episodes to get up to speed on characters and the look and feel of the show.

Gads, I so hated Seth McFarland.

Gads, I so loved this StarTrek homage.
  • The Orville is a show with potential. I liked how it didn't try too hard to be funny. In fact, it reminded me more of a Star Trek episode than Family Guy. I suspect there will be many comparisons to Galaxy Quest.

My concern is the audience. To appreciate this show, I think you need to be both a science fiction and crude humor fan. I'm one of these people, but I'm not sure if there are enough of us to support the production. Hopefully, we'll be seeing a lot more of The Orville.

Star Trek discovery was also released, and I have to say, this show comes closer to what I expect in a Star Trek series.
  • There have been a few times when I watched this show where I forgot I was watching The Orville. It has the true spirit of Star Trek written all over it. It's a bit more tongue in cheek, yes. But it has heart and portrays in-depth and heart felt stories. I watched the first episode of ST Discovery and still haven't gotten around watching the second, I'm just not that into it. Full of virtue signaling BS and it doesn't "feel" like Star Trek. I hang out for every new episode of The Orville, it is THAT good. Do your self a favor and watch this instead of Discovery if you want that real old feeling of Star Trek. A must!
  • Somewhere between ST: TOS and TNG, fleet personnel became high-minded, super-moral, flawless beings... a picture of who we should be when we're at our best, but not a true reflection of who we ARE. And then you remember how human TOS people were -- bickering, flawed, sometimes racist or rude.

The Orville's first episode is funny, but it's not a parody. It puts people with personalities of friends and co-workers you already know and love (or hate) into roles they might actually have aspired to in the future. They're a bit irreverent, unprofessional, perhaps a bit childish with a sense of office humor, drama, and politics. But, it's not over the top.

It's a little bit ST: Atlantis, a little bit Guardians of the Galaxy, a bit of Galaxy Quest, and a LOT of Star Trek. It's not Shakespeare, but it's fun, yet grounded. I've only seen the first episode, so no way to know where it will go. I recall the first episode of ST TNG was pretty rocky, and I think this is off to a better start. Give it a shot!
  • The only thing I can truly say about this show is that, like all previous Real Star Trek series, I want to be in the Orville. I want to travel with it, I want to live their adventures. It is a nice atmosphere with interesting people to whom I can relate. The show also does me the courtesy of raising topics for me to think with the decency and good- manners of not shoving anything down my throat. Food for thought. Thanks, Seth. I didn't even know I missed Real Star Trek feeling so much.
  • Let me preface this by saying that I am a Trekkie from way back, all the shows, all the movies, even Enterprise, even the new movies, even TOS. All of it. I know the ins and outs of all things Trek. I also love Star Wars. I used to be an avid reader of the extended universe until Lucas set it on fire. I even like Babylon 5 and Stargate. I like high Sci-Fi.

The Orville is actually pretty good. Not like mind bendingly awesome, but much better than most sci-fi that has been put out in the last decade, if not longer. It's not going for super-realism like The Expanse. It's not going for super-science like Orphan Black. It's showing us what it would look like if you put people like you and me on a starship that was capable of the things we have seen on Star Trek since the 60s, and that makes it amazing.

It's basically Star Trek, except with real people. You know those other bajillion ships in the Federation that weren't crewed by the fleet's best and brightest? The guys who were still flying Excelsior Class ships in the Enterprise-D days? Yeah, that's the kind of crew that you're following on The Orville. And, basically, that makes them infinitely more entertaining. It's not just satire, or a straight parody, or anything like that, and I'll be darned if episode three didn't just just handle transgender politics far better than anything else in Hollywood has to date. No, they didn't handle it like Hollywood left or Hollywood right would like them to handle it. They handled it like actual people would have handled it. It was pretty amazing.

So, if you like sci-fi (not sci-fi parodies), and you like snark, then watch The Orville. It's basically just some people doing some stuff in space, but doing it like real people would do it -- full of sarcasm and opinions and mistakes that come back to bite them.
  • No spoilers. I liked it. Like the original Star Trek it is character and story driven which I am sure will anger the people who think they are Science Fiction fans but don't know what science fiction is. People who have never read a book by Sturgeon or Simak and think Science Fiction is SciFi shoot'em ups with lasers.

I know there will be those who want to see "Family Guy In Space;" grow up. MacFarlane did. This is an independent, free standing piece of storytelling and MacFarlane is using storytelling elements instead of special effects or body function jokes. It is a show for grown-ups.

Ray Bradbury said Science Fiction is putting ordinary people into extraordinary situations and seeing how they respond. Sisko was the perfect embodiment of that concept and "The Orville" appears to follow that lead.

The first episode did a good job of establishing character roles and plot. They also did an excellent job of hinting as several subplots. All in all, it is like Star Trek in story but with a Next Generation maturity. Thank goodness MacFarlane does not have a Roger alien!
  • Although it is a send up of Star Trek, but it never goes overboard with silliness, and surprised by it coming from Seth Macfarlane, the creator of Family Guy and American Dad. When the comedy is there it's funny, there are some dramatic moments but they are few and far between.

The characters all play off each other perfectly, just have a great chemistry. The sets look like they borrowed from Star Trek : The Next Generation. The sci- fi elements is pretty effective. And I got all this from the first episode. I hope it go on awhile, cause it's good to see a send up of Star Trek, although there was Galaxy Quest(1999), there where not that many Star Trek parodies. I'm glad The Orville has come around, and hope it will last a few more seasons.
  • After having seen six episodes of both Star Trek: Discovery and The Orville, I am truly baffled and very positively surprised. Baffled at how, with a budget of millions, the people who made Discovery could not come up with a single interesting character or plot, but instead basically just made The Expanse with Klingons, taking every single thing that is unique, positive, and enjoyable about Star Trek and tossing it out the window. And positively surprised, because, out of the corner I would least have expected it - the filthy, cobwebbed one with the rancid yogurt, in which Seth MacFarlane used to reside for me - comes this gem of a show that takes everything fun, positive, and enjoyable from Trek and runs with it.

It is - as nearly everyone here has pointed out - the spiritual successor of TNG, although I would actually put it somewhere between TOS and TNG. It has a bit of the "cowboy" feeling people seem to like so much about TOS while including at least some of the elements that made TNG so brilliant - people actually trying to overcome petty human concerns by looking at the bigger picture and solving problems through compassion and dialogue rather than by inventing the next, bigger gun (yes, I know Trek did that too, but big guns are fine occasionally).

Now this is still by and large a comedy, so in order for that to function, you can't have straight TNG-like characters. But apart from occasionally overshooting the target a bit, the balance of comedy and seriousness is handled excellently - something I would not have thought possible for a Trek-like sci-fi show, let alone from MacFarlane.

You will recognize the plot elements, you'll recognize character traits. After hundreds of stories of drama and intrigue among the stars, what story hasn't Trek told? Again, the idea, as far as I can see, was not to create something entirely new (which, ironically, it is, though), but to take those elements that made Trek great and combine them with enough comedy to provide a breath of fresh air. And provide it does. In fact, the comedy allows the writers to approach topics in a way that would actually not have been possible for Trek playing it straight. Without spoiling, I will here point to the Episode "About a girl", which actually touches on subjects that weren't very prominent at the time TNG ran and is therefore quite unique in itself.

I'm not really going to touch on the scientific aspects of the show except to say that, even with scientific advisors, Trek has obviously always taken huge liberties with established science at times, while at others making the science and (at them time) new discoveries a central point of the story. Naturally, scientific accuracy is going to suffer a bit in a comedy. But let me just point to "Discovery" and say (farcially): subspace mushroom network.

I don't know how long they can make the concept work, but if they keep coming up with episodes like #3, #4 and #6, they deserve to have the kind of money thrown at them that "Discovery" now squanders on a tired old war story, forgettable characters, and making everything dark and shaky. But even with its limited budget, the visuals are more than adequate (maybe barring the Ikea furniture), proving once more that you only need so much resources to tell great stories.

Finally, one more thing. THE MUSIC. This show has hands down the best music of any official or unofficial Star Trek show (including the new movies, but of course always excepting Jerry Goldsmith). But considering you have Bruce Broughton doing the theme, and John Debney and Joel McNeely scoring episodes, that shouldn't be a big surprise.

Simply put, this show saves Star Trek for me and blows any contemporary Trek movie or show out of the water - with ease.
  • Harun Karali10 September 2017
    I'm a fan of science fiction and I love to laugh and that's why Galaxy Quest is a movie I hold in high regards to this day. When I saw the trailers for this series, I thought; there making Galaxy Quest into a TV show and MacFarlane is producing it? A recipe for disaster... Or so I thought, much to my bewilderment, this series was actually funny and they didn't gloss over the characters. There's actual development. It was refreshing. The show balances drama and humor in a delicate fashion that makes it hard to believe that this is Seth's work. Don't get me wrong, I'm actually a fan of his humor, but his story telling has always lacked a certain facade. The story is about Captain Ed Mercer who gets assigned to a mid-level Intergalactic ship. Where he is appointed his ex-wife as his Executive officer. At it's core the show thrives on it's entertainment value and that is a trait that shouldn't be overlooked. If they can keep the sense of humor and pacing of the series, I believe we are in for a fun ride and at the end of the day that's all we can ask for. If you haven't already, I would recommend seeing Galaxy Quest before/after you see this, there are uncanny similarities and I for one loved it.

Grade: B
    First off, I am just a private individual with absolutely no connection to Hollywood, this show, or to Fox (God forbid). (Unfortunately) I received no compensation of any kind for this review. (Like complimentary tickets to "SNL" would kill you?)

*****

I generally enjoy space-based SF shows. From things I's read on the Internet, and on my preconceived notions of what any new Seth MacFarlane production would be like, I TOTALLY expected to hate this show. So much so that I skipped even watching any of the first five episodes as they aired. Then one day, bored with other 2017 commercial TV offerings (right?..., Right?), I gave Episode 6 a try, and enjoyed it; A LOT. I quickly started watching the first five episodes.

Few shows can actually make me laugh out loud. This one did.

Yes, it can be at times a (satiric) note-for-note rip-off of "Star Trek" (plus other spaceship-crew ensemble) shows; but it is a brilliant note-for-note rip off.

I don't know if it can continue its level of quality, but so far it has:

● Excellent special effects.

● Beautiful design.

● Quality production values.

● Impressive makeup and costumes.

● Good pacing.

● Just the right balance of comedy and more serious, timely, and sensitive story elements.

● Genuinely entertaining stories (the perfect blend of mockery and respect for the spaceship exploration genre). (Even when the stories are "borrowed" from "Star Trek" or other shows, I didn't mind. It feels more like an homage than a rip-off.)

● Top-notch cameos and guest stars.

● Solid cast.* Contrary to criticisms elsewhere (e.g., in these IMDb reviews), I think MacFarlane is just right in the title role--a perfect (and tricky) balance of mature authority and confused haplessness. Not easy to pull off.

Most important, and unlike in "Family Guy" or his embarrassing movies, MacFarlane (or someone) so far limits his characteristic excessive potty humor to just the right level.

For example. I was led to believe--by a certain popular TV review blogger whose opinion I normally respect--that the opening sequence of Captain Ed Mercer (MacFarlane) catching his then wife (Commander Kelly Grayson, played by Adrianne Palicki) in bed with another species would be tasteless, excessive, and embarrassing. Hey, surprise--no problem! It was appropriately funny, mercifully brief, and completely necessary to set up the rest of the story line.

By the way, Palicki, who I had only knowingly seen before in "Agents of SHIELD" (don't get me going on that mess), is MUCH better here.

In general, I like all the characters, and the jobs the actors are doing to bring them to life. Some particularly funny moments involve secondary or one-time characters (e.e., the deadpan Krill straight men; Norm MacDonald's "Yaphit," the only gelatinous crew member). Meanwhile, the primary actors appear to have quickly dialed in the essentials of their characters' personalities right from the get-go. My sense is that they have a lot of fun on set, but are also true professionals, or else the direction is excellent. Either way, the results are good.

This leads directly to another important factor--as with other successful ensemble shows, Team MacFarlane has managed to quickly create a FAMILY. The characters naturally have their idiosyncrasies and of course don't always get along. But you sense that they care for each other and are loyal to the crew and the ship.

Doing that believably and so quickly is, I imagine, difficult to pull off. Again, the sign of a happy crew and fun set. Good for them.

So I give this little gem a (surprising to me) hearty "thumbs up" recommendation. If you like SF/space adventures and enjoy something that does not take itself too seriously (yet is blessedly more adult than, say, a "Warehouse 13," "Eureka," or "The Librarians") by all means give this a try.

Caution; get it while you can. Who knows how long it will last on Fox, where good shows go to die early. (And bad shows stay and stay and stay; like visiting relatives who just won't leave.)

________

* For example:

• Scott Grimes ("Lt. Gordon Malloy").

He was great on "ER" and is perfect playing Gordon, Mercer's buddy and side-kick.

• Peter Macon ("Lt. Cmdr. Bortus")

Love his super gruff and serious take on the (thereby unwittingly comical) Bortus.

• Penny Johnson Jerald ("Dr. Claire Finn")

She has been in a bunch of stuff and is always good.

Addendum -- Much to my surprise, many of the episodes have surprisingly serious plots and take-home messages, so far focusing on gender equality and proper treatment of children. And despite the jokes, stories don't always end on a high note. What I erroneously feared would be a kind of "Airplane!" (with Leslie Nielsen) in space or maybe "Spaceballs" (nonstop low-brow humor) is instead like a more humorous version of "Star Trek: The Next Generation." I like it. It is like someone who really loved and cherished that (often wonderful and beautifully written) 1987 show grew up and took a reverential stab at their own version, using their own particular talents, a gang of Hollywood pals, and a boat-load of money they had lying around. Who could that be?

11/05/17 Update: Wow, they keep slipping in more and more drama. It's almost like someone said, "Let's camouflage a serious Sci-Fi space exploration show with MacFarlane's trademark humor up front (thereby attracting Fox's "Family Guy" audience), then tone that down as time goes on." Hmmm, really? Nah, I must just be getting too cynical in my old age.
    I was, I admit, deeply suspicious of The Orville when I heard about it. Created by Seth McFarlane (he of the endless crass humour) it seemed doomed to be a lame, intelligence-insulting mess. In fact, I wasn't planning on watching it at all. I was literally going to skip it.

Then I watched Star Trek Discovery's pitiful pilot. After being bored and irritated by that, I decided things couldn't get much worse and I might as well go ahead and watch the pilot of The Orville.

I expected to be further annoyed and prepared to pour scorn on it in this review. I even got a little notepad and a pen to jot down all the things that I felt were sure to get on my nerves and make me grit my teeth.

So when I finished the pilot episode of Orville and found to my dismay that not only had I made not a single disparaging comment on my notepad, but that I had in fact forgotten about it entirely, I knew something utterly unexpected had occurred. I had liked what I had seen.

I had enjoyed the first episode of a show by a man I generally consider to be not worth my time immensely. It was quite the shock, let me tell you.

The Orville isn't Star Trek. However, it is as close to Star Trek as we are likely to get these days when the "real" Trek is reduced to being little more than an episodic clone of the Abrams' movies.

I won't pretend it has the same production values as Discovery. It doesn't. But what it does have is a very big heart and a clear affection for the source material it draws heavily from. McFarlane has crafted something here that shows his love for Trek quite openly and loudly, and the series is all the better for it.

That isn't to say there isn't humour. Sometimes that humour is a little crass. But it isn't the greatly expected toilet humour or Man-Child nonsense that you might expect.

Granted, the pilot had more of that than the later episodes, but it still wasn't as commonplace as I expected, and that is a good thing.

All in all, The Orville is a decent replacement for Star Trek until the powers-that-be get their collected heads out of their fundaments and remember that Star Trek isn't (nor was it ever meant to be) about flashy explosions and "Pew-pew! Die, Alien! Die!"

SUMMARY: A very decent light-hearted take on Star Trek that is more Trek than the current actual Trek. Some lame humour, but done with a lot of heart that makes it worth watching week on week. Recommended for Trek fans who miss the "good old days". Well done Seth McFarlane! Well done!
    The humor is amusing and the characters are interesting but where the Orville shines is the story. It asks big important questions and then lets the viewer decide the answer. It puts a diverse cast together of humans and aliens and then has their natural differences cause drama as opposed to forcing it. It isn't perfect, but it is on the road to be great. It's sad that this show is a better Trek than Discovery. They need to tone down the gross-out humor a little and we could have a legitimate Trek replacement in this show. I hope it stays on the air for a while.
  • As many reviews mention, this is one of the best examples of a disconnect between professional reviewers and real world audience.

This show is not about the humor, or about the serious star treky themes it features. It is about combining the two into a relaxed and non pretentious mix which is just fun to watch.
  • I was very skeptical when I heard about this TV-Series but then I gave it a try. You know, the kind of try you give things knowing it will only be one try and that's it. But then I watched episode 2 and then 3 and 4 and I still want more. This Show is a comedy but it's not one of these obnoxious "every sentence must be a joke" comedies. I also like how very well MacFarlane recreated that TNG feeling about Star Trek without just being a simple copy of it. I often have the awkward feeling that what I'm watching is actually the rightful successor to the previous Star Trek TV shows instead of Star Trek Discovery - If it weren't for the occasional jokes. I like the show and I recommend everyone who likes Sci-Fi and/or comedy to give it a try.
    I have been excited about this show for a long time. I am both a fan of Star Trek and Family Guy, and I also have great respect for Seth Macfarlane as a man of science and logic, (as weird as that sounds from a guy made famous for a character such as Peter Griffin).

The one major thing that is important to note is that regardless of your personal feeling about Seth Macfarlane, you can enjoy this show. You don't have to like his style of humour. The focus is on the story and introducing the characters in the first episode, and very little time is wasted on getting everything moving. The comedy is spread out well enough that it's present and enjoyable without taking away focus from the show's intent.

Star Trek has always been a great franchise but the shows can be dark and depressing, and seem to ignore some basic human tendencies, (Lieutenant Malloy having to pee was interesting because we never saw a Starfleet officer step away from their post to relieve themselves). It works for Star Trek because of the incredible storytelling, characters, and philosophy. However, The Orville gives a lighter take on the concept without glossing over human nature.

We're only one episode in so it's simply a first impression and it's hard to make a solid judgement, but I like the characters so far, I enjoy what Seth Macfarlane is trying to accomplish with this ode to Star Trek, and I am optimistic for its future.
  • I have never written an IMDb review before. I may never write an IMDb review again. But after watching the premiere of the Orville, and reading all the harsh critical reviews, it's very hard not to want to speak up for this show. I mean, come on, do you guys remember the first season of the Next Generation? I mean, do you really remember it? Have we really come to the point where a show is declared dead when it does not achieve absolute perfection by the end of the first episode? Do you know how many great shows we would have missed out on if that we the attitude we had always taken?

After watching the first episode of the Orville, my honest opinion was, yes, there were some things they could have done better. Yes, the plot was ultimately forgettable, and many elements of the show did seem generic. And in all honesty, I would take a new episode of Red Dwarf over this premiere any day of the week. But even that being said, I thought the show was genuinely funny a lot of the time, while not being overbearing with it's humor, which was in and of itself refreshing. I thought the characters seemed interesting, and there was some good potential for how they might develop. And I genuinely felt the sense of hope and optimism they were trying to get across that has been so sorely lacking from science fiction these days.

So in the end, based on the first episode, and only the first episode, 8/10, but I'm hoping I can update this review later with some additional positivity as the season progresses.
  • The Orville is a great Star Trek spoof that plays it straight. Yes, it's a spoof, but the humor is subtle and not slapsticky (mostly). There is a great wit with the show, but the pilot had a good story and some great characters and was genuinely fun and even a little exciting in spots.

This is better than any Star Trek show since DS9, and has a similar style of humor to Arrested Development.

I am definitely looking forward to the rest of the series. This was fun!
  • I don't generally like Seth Macfarlane's work. I'm not a fan of family guy or the like. But I love The Orville. While it can be considered a parody of Star Trek, it embraces this niche and performs excellently. I've seen all of Star Trek more than once, with my least favorite being Enterprise and the new Discovery. I've waiting with bated breath for a new Star Trek series that would satisfy my longing desires for engaging space fairing adventures involving the Alliance. But what The Orville taught me about my love for Star Trek, is that I didn't just want some more cookie cutter Star Trek - recycling familiar family names and phrases to keep die hard fans in the loop. Star Trek Discovery makes just this error, and develops an action like, JJ Abrams-esque universe which is dull and does not push the envelope of human discovery where we as viewers have our imaginations opened up to the endless possibilities of the universe. This sense of adventure and peace-loving discovery was the essence of what made Star Trek shows like Next Generation, Voyager and DS9 so impeccable. Instead we're given just another action sequence What I was really waiting for, was a show that wanted of me, all of my emotions in where I was genuinely engaged and invested into the chemistry of the on screen character's individual alien culture and it's affect on their personal lives. From Isaac discovering what it means to be human (while still being hilariously and "legendarily racist") to Bortus' decision to not alter the gender of his first born child. The Orville made me laugh, watch anxiously in fear and anticipation, and expanded my imagination to what infinite possibilities await in the universe,an idea easy to enhance considering the abundance of cultures and lifestyles that exist even on a single planet.

I've never in my life written a review in my entire life, but there was something magical about The Orville that was able to recapture that childlike wonder I experienced when I watched series like Star Trek, Firefly, Farscape, etc. It's a feeling that truly makes me appreciate the awesome gravity of how endless existence is, and it's what makes Sci-Fi attract my interest so much. It's my hope that this series continues along for more than a single season, and that my review was able to change at least one person's mind about this show.
  • I had an awful feeling when I saw the trailer for Star Trek Discovery. I had a good feeling when I saw the trailer to The Orville. It turns out my feelings were correct on both counts. The Orville is a bit of a Star Trek parody, but it is much more. There are a lot of jokes, initially excessive, but most are very well though. I think the only thing missing is a more significant plot. The elements are there (The Krill), but so far the episodes are self-contained. This series is a great pastime and reminds me of Firefly. I hope other sci-fi fans value it before it gets canned.
  • Timely, relevant, thought-provoking science fiction with a great dose of humor. Easily one of the most engaging shows on the air right now, bringing a sense of optimism about our future that we're desperately in need of in North America these days. (Thanks, Seth MacFarlane!) If it gets its chance to evolve with a second season I think FOX will end up with a multi-year hit on their hands.

Besides, quite frankly, who needs another anti-hero right now? Why not some actual heroes?
    I'm not a big Seth McFarlane fan, but I love what he's doing with the Orville. I never liked Family Guy, and I found A Million Ways to Die in the West to be totally unwatchable. Crude humor is generally a turn- off for me.

However, I'm finding the way humor is mixed in with the Orville to be hilarious. Especially in the 4th episode, this series is an homage to TNG, but what the characters on that show would have really thought and said. It's as if the producers are saying, "Yeah, this is sci-fi and we know the plots are contrived and a bit predictable, so we're going to throw some crazy stuff in to have some fun."

*** Sort of Spoilers - Jokes in episode ***

I could have done without the extended dick joke, but then I got a chuckle when the joke was echoed on the planet. I loved the Death Star dialogue reference as the crew approached the big ship, and the "Friends" reference during the torture scene was terrific. I mean, you've got this cruel dictator (played by Robert Knepper, AWESOME casting!) injecting a torture drug into the restrained first officer, and she throws out a Friends reference while under questioning. Brilliant!

And then there's the Liam Neeson cameo at the end of the episode.

If McFarlane and his writers can continue to have fun with Easter Eggs and surprises that fans appreciate, this show should go on to humiliate the critics who savaged it.

And it will completely embarrass CBS by upstaging their disastrous, politically correct and utterly boring STD.
  • So..why does The Orville exist? 2 reasons: Seth McFarlane saved Fox TV and they owe him a ton of favors, and he wants to make a fun Star Trek esque show in a 21st century full of bleak and dark serials. I happen to agree with Seth: there's been a dearth of optimistic sci-fi since BSG and DS9, and as much as I love Ronald Moore's storytelling, there's nothing wrong with some optimistic and fun sci-fi, even if it is a bit cornball.

And for the most part, The Orville hits the nail on the head. It's pilot is fun and rompy. Has very Star Trek-esque camera pans and that grand space feeling. It's got some great CGI work and good action scenes. The monster-of-the-week plot was predictable but good in that typical villain Star Trek way. The solution in defeating the enemy ship was fairly creative, too.

What's missing? Well....its hollow. So far, the characters are fairly blank slates with nothing interesting attached to them other than some quips and bickering. The pilot did nothing to develop anyone.

To be frank, I don't blame the pilot too much. Star Trek type shows usually have 2 hour long pilots to develop out the scenario and the foundations of the characters. Given the constraints, Seth and co. only focused on developing out the scenario.

For now, I'm cautiously optimistic about the show. This is the only episode written by Seth to my knowledge, with the majority being written by Sci-Fi vets. If that's the case, there's a lot of promise here given the set pieces and action already on display.