• I watch a lot of "AMC" series especially like "Comic Book Men" as I like being a nerd and geek and a fan of comics as it brings memories back of being a kid. I for one am also a fan of pop culture and a history buff, and this series covers it all. As interviews are featured with comic book editors of D.C. and Marvel and pop historians give their take as how comics influenced fans and changed the culture of the world. Really you as the viewer learn stuff that you may not even know! And the footage is reacted to look like it created past times that the narrator talks about. Each episode also features a different comic character or a different topic that involves the comic book world. This is a series that "AMC" can expand on and make more episodes because the universe of comic characters and comic books is big. I hope to see more of this.
  • I've seen only the episode on Wonder Woman and it was great. The documentary goes back and provides great archival footage of the people who developed the original story line, but more interesting, it provides a look at the times and how this interacted with the people involved. They follow the history of Wonder Woman and the evolution of the character, and along the way they are many talking heads who provide a context in which to view the people and the comics.
  • poe-4883315 November 2017
    Two episodes in, and so far I've yet to uncover any secret(s) that I haven't uncovered before (in books OR documentaries). Maybe this one's a revelation to NEWCOMERS to the "world of comics," but it's all old news to those of us who've been paying attention over the years. The production values are good, but what this show lacks (and the same can be said of COMIC BOOK MEN, which is often little more than an advertisement for Kevin Smith's comic shop) is an in-depth ANALYSIS of the very comic books the show is ostensibly ABOUT. What, for instance, makes a Jack Kirby THOR story infinitely superior to anything on the stands Today (or Yesterday, for that matter)? THE SECRET HISTORY OF COMICS feels like just another attempt to bolster waning interest in an art form that motion pictures have been dumbing down as of late. Want to find some interesting comics to read? Check out some of the manga at your local comic shop. Warning: they ain't for Special Needs families. Or, better yet, lay hands of some of the excellent reprints of the aforementioned THOR comics: if you thought the lousy movie versions were good, you'll be knocked out by Kirby's Cosmic Mythology.
  • A very American (and sorry to say narrow-minded) view of the art of comics. For ex., I believe clichés like "he was the best comic artist ever" would be opposed by the Japanese where manga is big business. "The best comic artists ever" (and manuscript writers) in my opinion, have previously been found in France and Belgium, and I think they are still to be found there. There is a world outside the US ...