User Reviews (9)

• That's an unusual animated movie which clearly seems to be for kids as is full with funny animals, supernaive cat, entertaining story. However, the almost rude language and some Despicable Me style irony makes it perfect adult movie as well. It's nice because the characters are very strong, with their own particularities and viewpoint. Sometimes you may annoy because of the strange eye-closing way of the cat but in overall, a good entertainment for kids and adults.
  • This european animated movie has fun humor and an overall great heartfelt message. I loved the character design of the four animals and their humorous presentation. Each of them has its own original personality Their funny relationship made the film. Marnie, the house cat is really cute and cuddly. She knows life only through television and she has to lead the group of different characters on an adventure that will test all of them. The dialogue sometimes sound a little like it's been translated from a foreign language - which probably has, considering this is a german-belgian co-production. All in all it is a nicely told, funny and family friendly film. For adults it might be sometimes a bit silly, but kids will love especially these parts and there are some adult jokes too, that really work.
  • I enjoyed the graphics. The landscape stood out the best. The story was very enjoyable cut with humor along the way. I liked the idea of a group of heroes coming up like the wizard of oz. This has been one of the very best to date.
  • I saw the movie the first time at the International Animation Film Festival in Annecy 2018. This fun trip had me and the audience laughing and giggling throughout (apart from some sad moments in the middle). Last week I took my sons to see it with them together. They also enjoyed it and we give this one a thumbs-up. It's not the acme of computer animation (it's a german low-budget-film) but immensly charming and entertaining and the texture looks amazing in the close ups. Definitely worth watching for everybody who likes "Paddington" or "Wallace&Gromit".
    Why did the cockerel cross the road? To get away from the lady chickens chasing him, because he's more interested in meditating than in them, only for him to nearly get run over by a tractor driven by a petrified guard dog, called Elvis, who's running away from his evil owner, narrowly avoiding an accident with a mail truck carrying a box containing a pampered house cat with a penchant for detective shows, just at the road junction where they meet a zebra that has been left behind by the circus, which means they all band together to catch burglars stealing priceless kitschy artwork from the neighbourhood...

OK that joke didn't pan out as well as it did in my head. But it does give a neat summary about how the bold band of buddies in Spy Cat meet each other. The story centres on Marnie Sunshine, the very spoiled ginger "fur baby" of nurse Rosalyn Sunshine who lives in Drabville, East Bumblesnore. All Marnie does all day is eat (sitting at the table and with a fork) her specially cooked food (with her initial picked out in blueberries, of course) then watch her favourite detective cartoon on TV, Agent Ohura, before playing at being a secret agent and dragging her teddy pals around while looking at stuff through her toy periscope. Marnie and Roz's routine is disrupted one day though when Roz's step-brother Paul (introduced as "uncle Paul" to Marnie) arrives by ambulance in a wheel chair with two broken legs after an accident. He persuades Roz to let him stay with her while he recuperates. Only Paul isn't as injured as he seems. His wheel-chair, with fake leg casts, is actually a flying machine which enable him to sneak onto people's rooftops and zip down the chimney to burgle the place, handing the valuables out of the window to his two accomplices waiting outside. Marnie discovers Paul's secret scrapbook of news clippings and a map but he convinces her that he's really a secret agent trying to catch the bad guys and asks for her help. She has to go and meet a contact in a secret location that she can only get to by travelling in a cardboard box that Paul puts in the mail. Of course there is no "secret contact" - it was Paul's way of getting rid of the nosy cat - and a near accident between the mail courier and dog Elvis' tractor causes Marnie's box to jolt out of the van and onto the road, which is where the fateful meeting takes place. I'll not spoil any more of the twists and turns the story takes, because there are several, but it's all good fun and extremely child friendly, in terms of only having cartoon style violence. I think parents and older kids would enjoy it too, as there a few nods to things that will go over young kids' heads, like a North by North West style aeroplane chase and the Mission Impossible bit, although I found some of the human characters were a bit annoying. I also found the animal characters a little cliched but, again, I have seen more than my fair share of this kind of cartoon so I may just be a little jaded. However, I thought it was a nice touch that the animals didn't talk to the humans in the movie, only amongst themselves. And a special shout out to the sarcastic pigeons above Elvis' yard for incidental humour. The animation is Pixar style 3D modelling, although there's an excellent bit of cel shaded animation mixed in, while Marnie is watching her detective cartoon on TV, and both are very well done. The story is satisfying with a few unexpected twists and turns and kept me engaged, although I admit I am not 5 so it may be a little slow-paced and involved for them, and it maybe falls between two stools a bit by not pitching quite at its target audience because of that. There wasn't much in the way of slapstick humour and there weren't a lot of obvious jokes to laugh at but there was a good undercurrent of humour for me to raise a smile at. Just please don't be misled by the badly chosen poster art - that is not an image from the movie and really doesn't reflect the tone of the film at all; it's not a high-tech, all-action, comedy thriller like The Incredibles. Instead, expect Spy Cat to be a Wallace and Grommit style caper done by the animals from Shrek or Madagascar but without being quite so laugh out loud funny, and you'll enjoy it.
  • kruball17 August 2019
    This is the movie that is very cute but at the same time it is very interesting too! The lovely character can make the movie feel strong. In short it is a fantastic movie.
  • Before I watched this animation, I've read some of the reviews on IMDB. Some of them saying that this animation is kind of fun. After I've watched, I agree with them. This animation is indeed full of fun. Although it's not quite possible that a cat can solve the case, it's really fun to watch.

The plot is really simple, but maybe because the directing is good, it turned out to be somehow good. I love detective stories, so, I kept watching it. And I've discovered that it's interesting and exciting in some way. Even though the animation is not from Disney, it's still OK. But I don't like Marnie's voice artist. The sound is too sharp and tiny. The other voice artists are doing fine. So, if they have chosen the other voice artist for Marnie character, it'd be better.

Conclusion is that although the animation really needs to improve, the animation is really full of fun and good to watch. Hence, I've totally enjoyed every second of it.
  • el_ruxpino16 October 2019
    Based on the photo the musicians of Bremen this is a great modern adaption of that story great animation from an independent studio and a must watch
  • silveraider6917 May 2019
    Seen the trailer and i can say the animation is tv quality at best. The charachter designs are bland and the textures are... not good, though ive seen much worse. This movie pales in comparison to the Fearless Four and i would recommend that over this puke show any day.