• MoreWalkLessTalk29 April 2017
    It has been said already, but I must agree: A MUST WATCH
    I've never written a review in my life. After seeing this and then looking for more information about it, I came across IMDb and instead of finding intelligent reviews from intelligent people, I find a few that scream of ignorance.

It is pretty easy to understand why.

As the 20th century began, human evolution was at a turning point. Science fiction of the day predicted a future that was more enlightened, civilized and more intelligent. But as time went on, things seemed to be heading in the opposite direction. A dumbing down of society began to occur. How did this happen? Natural selection, the process by which the strongest, the smartest, the fastest, reproduced in greater numbers than the rest and in which the weakest or not-so-intelligent were culled, a process which had once favored the noblest traits of man, now began to favor different traits. Evolution began not to reward intelligence, but to coddle and save the weakest. With no natural predators to thin the herd, it began to simply reward those who reproduced the most, and left "Intelligent Man and Woman" to become an endangered species. One need not look far within these comments to see that in effect. It's not that hate which is shown in some of these reviews that is killing the world. I think that up to a certain point all of us possess some level of hate. It is not having the mental acuity or aptitude to recognize it within ourselves, and to not let ourselves be led by it. Some of these so-called reviews are downright scary when you stop to think that is the actual mentality of the person who wrote them. One guy decrying interracial couples and gays to the point of not watching a television program that has them. A woman who says this could not happen and in the next paragraph goes on to detail how it could happen, only not as Christianity. Who cares what it is called, if you admit it could happen?

As for this series itself, it is relevant. For now. In this time. More than ever.

Beyond that, it is beautifully filmed and acted.

Do not fall for the negative reviews of those fanatics and zealots who are purposefully trying to bring down the ratings and who are so lost they cannot even practice the very laws of a god they are trying to defend.

This series is a masterpiece.
  • Margaery-Tyrell11 May 2017
    Haunting and Chilling.
    To begin, I believe that most people visiting these pages are intelligent enough to tell the difference between those that are reviewing this series with honesty versus the ones who for reasons other than the viewing experience, wish to tear it down. As someone has already mentioned, the negative reviews are fraught with fear and the worst kind of delusion that exists: self delusion (the delusion a person hides behind and convinces themselves of in order not to see the truth).

The Handmaid's Tale is a series that presents what could happen were women's rights reverted or taken away. There is nothing in my previous sentence that is not true. Let me type it again. The Handmaid's Tale is a series that presents what could happen were women's rights reverted or taken away. Is it an extreme depiction? Let's study that for a moment. In a Puritanical society, the Bible was the sole authority. Puritans believed it applied to every area and level of life. The Salem Witch Trials are one such example of Puritanical beliefs in action. Were it not for historical documentation, you would have people negating those as well. So, as to the question of whether it could or couldn't happen, the people most decrying it and stating that it could not happen, are the ones that most believe it can. Don't let them fool you.

The Handmaid's Tale takes you into this dystopian future, and it has never felt more real. I had to pause it on a couple of occasions to catch my breath. No, it doesn't hit you over the head every so often with good scenes; the beauty of it is that it is equally haunting, strong and breathtaking in its entirety.

To grab from another review: "The echoes of resemblance to the United States' current political administration create another layer of exceptionalism. Make no mistake, this is a political work. But it makes its case in a way that, like George Orwell's 1984 reflect our world back at us in a mirror that is both familiar and perverse", and because of it, it is extraordinary.

Rating: ★★★★★★★★★★★ Excellent
  • gottawalkit15 June 2017
    You think you have seen horror films?
    If I may start 'off-topic' for a moment. I am male, mid sixties, and have watched, like many others, all the great (and not-so-great) horror films. After watching the ten episodes of 'The Handmaid's Tale' I can safely say that THIS is a real horror story. It makes the entire horror genre seem like cotton candy. After each episode I find myself shaking, often with tears in my eyes. I'm not going to talk about the story. I am going to tell you that the acting is beyond reproach. In almost every movie, every TV series, there are at least one or two characters that don't fit or are poorly portrayed. Not so here. I simply cannot find fault with the performances of the entire cast. Stellar! The sets, the direction, the camera work, the intensity all fit together seamlessly. This is a story of a good world...gone very wrong. This is a story about faith, twisted by evil intent, then thrust upon the common people. For me it is truly horrifying. I'm sorry I can't find better words to describe how this show affects me. I will say this: My daughter is currently attending university in the U.S. and I can tell you I fear for her safety every hour of every day. Not because this story is happening now...but because it is so close.
  • KMChafin15 May 2017
    This has historical roots and not just a dystopian future
    For those of us 4 million mothers who lost our children to forced adoption during the Baby Scoop Era this Tale has multiple similarities . While the main difference is that we were not forced into pregnancy, that's where the differences stop. I was taken to a strange state, not even allowed to purchase my own clothes, I cooked, cleaned and babysat for an authoritarian family. I was drugged at birth, tied hand and foot to the labor bed, then not allowed to see or hold my son. A priest took my son to be adopted by his friends who had better pedigree than I, even though I came from a good background. Even now states refuse to open records so mothers and adoptees can be re united.

So if you think this is a warning tale for the future, it has already occurred. Google Baby Scoop Era. The best kept secret on the wholesale use of women as breeders.
  • lewilewis199728 April 2017
    Fantastic Adaption Of A 'Must Read' Sci-Fi Classic, Good For Guys & Gals Alike
    If you haven't seen it yet or haven't read the book let's try to set the scene without spoilers;

Mankind is failing, most women are sterile because of industrial pollution (or Mother Nature just having enough of us parasites). Birth rates are plummeting. An ultra religious cult see it as their God given mission to 'save mankind'. They seize power by staging a fake terrorist attack against the US government, impose marshal law and set about rebuilding American society.('War On Terror' anyone?) They use The Old Testament as their blue print, but with some totally wack interpretations and distortions. Fertile women become the property of the state. Brain washed and farmed out to the new ruling elite as baby makers, slavery and subjugation is all they can hope for.

Margaret Atwood, Canadian hero, social commentator, environmentalist, activist, feminist, tech inventor, business woman and visionary always maintained that this isn't sci-fi, but 'speculative fiction', things that have a chance of happening in the near future. Written in the '80's it's probably more profound now; the Neo Con Christian's have become a powerful force in US politics. Could there be a Tea Party without the ultra religious Republicans? Probably not. Maybe it takes a next door neighbour from Canada to really see what's happening with the totally dysfunctional family next door? It has always been a source of debate about how a country so entrenched in the ideas of freedom and liberal philosophy can also be the home of such obvious bigotry and divide? Surely teaching Creationism instead of proved science in some State's schools is a warning sign? Maggie may well ridicule this dogmatic un-thinking, however it's far from funny when she points out the possible end game and consequences for society and women in particular.

The book, although heavy going at first, is one of those you can pick up every few years and just dive right in (thanks to Una for making me read it back in '87). I was worried that this TV adaption wouldn't do it justice. How wrong I was. It's slightly different, and relies on a lot of flashbacks like the original narration; however this narration helps to smooth over the cracks nicely. So it still sticks faithfully to the principles and main events of the story, albeit in a roundabout 'more up to date' way. The subtle creep up and takeover of government and power has been well handled so far. I am enthralled, totally impressed and on tenterhooks with Bruce Miller's adaption. The direction is also smart, (the hanging scene seen from the back of a van was powerful stuff). Every image is a perfect composition, nothing is wasted, it's real art in the hands of skilled camera operators.

The feminism is subtle, not the clumsy and overt 'all men are bad, all women are good little victims' like of some of the more hardcore feminist literature. Maggie recognises that some women can be bad too, and some men will die to do the right thing, as you will see. Her book made a point that this could only happen if most women were willing parties too, and that a 2,000 year old book of moral tales can hold a massive amount of power when deliberately abused in the wrong hands.

It's also highly commendable that the cast are just 'normal folk', no super skinnies, models, hunks or pretty boys are in sight. This makes it all the more believable, it could happen to you and me. The lead, 'Offred' (Elizabeth Moss) absolutely nails it. No spoilers, but she will impress you with her canny nouse and determination to survive despite many obstacles and traps. I haven't seen one bad actor in here so far, they've obviously got bags of talent and emotional range. The design and resurrection of 'The Shaker Movement', as in the book, harks back to an American and European age of persecution and religious fervor.

Adhering to Maggie's descriptions of the colour coded dress, the production designer's subtle placement of now highly valuable Shaker furniture here and there helps; the muted drab colours, even in the opulent wealthy homes, take us sub consciously back to the times of Salem, witch trials, mass hysteria and life devoid of 'modern vices' like free speech, self determination, free love and modern relationships.

I can't wait to see how this progress', although I know how it ends (can't tell you, but get ready for some shocks!). It's been made fresh for me. I hope you will all love it too.
  • MajorMAlice1 May 2017
    Waiting for something GREAT to come on Television? Your wait is Over. THIS is IT.
    Strong is the word for this series, and little, weak people detest strong so be prepared for the fake reviews and thumbs down across the actual reviews for it. Fear is a powerful thing.

The Handmaid's Tale is perhaps one of the the best Television accomplishments of not only the year (hands down), but of the decade. It is a profound glimpse into a future that could very well happen were it not for people like most of you and me.

In three unforgettable episodes, so far, women such as Offred ("Of FRED", since she belongs to Fred), played by the inimitable Elisabeth Moss, are coerced through bodily harm to be both concubine and scape/punching goat for well to do families. These women are subjected to physical, emotional and mental abuse in the name of God, or if not so much in the name of God, under the twisted word of god, by man. This is not to say that it is a Christian-bashing show, but it depicts what could happen under a theocratic society.

What is most outstanding is that the acting is so amazing, that its quietest moments may be its most powerful. In fact, at times, the series can be emotionally overwhelming and draining — but isn't that a characteristic of a superb and masterful viewing experience?

Don't turn away from it.
  • SansaSnark31 May 2017
    Some, as in this series, would want to make up your mind for you ...
    To begin, the book it is based on was written in the 80's, before the IVF - however, the reason they use coitus is because of the puritanical system of beliefs they have established in the land and which they base EVERYTHING on. As in the bible which they quote Genesis 16:1 "Now Sarai, Abram's wife had borne him no children, and she had an Egyptian maid whose name was Hagar. Sarai said to Abram, "Now behold, the LORD has prevented me from bearing children. Please go in to my maid; perhaps I will obtain children through her." Seriously, for people speaking of "IQ's", this shouldn't be hard to grasp.

Secondly, the more you watch, you see how things transpired to get them to the point they are in Gilead. It is presented through a series of flashbacks, and yes, there are books, and cell phones, and the Internet, and cars and trains and automobiles - imagine that! It even shows who they are trading with, and what they are trading. If people had watched even a bit of it as they said they did before leaving reviews simply to give it a low rating, they would know this.

Beyond all this, the book and series are rooted in HISTORICAL FACT and in point of fact, things that happen in our world today. 'BUT NO! That can't be!' some say. Yes, hate to burst your bubble, but it is all true.

Even with all this obvious discrediting and outright attempts at audience manipulation by certain reviewers, I am happy to see that The Handmaid's Tale holds a high rating, as well it should.

It is an astounding work of television, with a distinct visual bite. Gilead's world is harsh yet the most intelligent and bravest of us cannot look away, nor do we lie to ourselves or others in the hopes that they will look away.

Simply, in my estimation, it is one of the best shows ever made.

Watch for yourself and see if you agree.
  • vreka-314746 November 2017
    Haunting, gripping, amazing
    The Handmaid's Tale is a series not to be compared with any series I've seen before. The story shows a terrifying future told by amazing actors, fabulous camera shots and brilliant artwork. The close up filming, that had been used in many shots, demands top acting to make the audience really feel and with this cast you do not need to worry. Alhough every part of That is absolutely top notch, I can not write this review without mentioning, the incredible, Elisabeth Moss! She is the heart and soul of the show and she added another delicate pearl to her crown. What an absolute brilliant actress this woman is!! Yes, the series left me knock-out after watching the last scene, made me uncomfortable, emotional and doubting humanity, but what a must see this is...
  • kidfrumcleveland27 July 2017
    pretty damn good.
    So for all those saying this couldn't happen here. Do you remember the puritan witch hunts of the 1600's? Your racism is showing if you come up with a criticism that there are too many interracial couples in the show.

The good of the show: Sorry the show does not just show white men as bad. Some women in the show are equally as bad. Hell , l even the Mexican ambassador turns out to be a non-sympathetic figure because she is more interested in bringing handmaiden to Mexico. There are a good number of black men "the eye" soldiers as well. The acting is very good. You can tell these girls remember a time before the takeover. You can tell the religious group is desperately trying to make their lifestyle the new normal.

the bad: Some minor criticisms must be said. If Offred suspected Nick of being a plant, why would she agree to have an affair with him especially after the first sex act with Nick being forced on her. I get that she is kinda doing it as a "fuck you" to Fred, and partially playing the men against each other, but i still think she would resist the temptation.
  • Xophianic29 April 2017
    Preposterous
    People aren't really falling for the negative reviews, right? As a dude who has watched it with his girlfriend, I need to agree that the negative reviews are ridiculous. I can imagine the same person thumbing down the real reviews. Lol. Pathetic.

Mine is the only review you will need. j/k

Watch it. That's it. Don't let some repressed and self-deluded person make your choices for you - they love that. Watch the first episode and decide for yourself. Do I believe it can happen? Maybe. Anything can happen. But the thing is, why are nutjobs taking it so serious if they don't think it could happen? If it's just a show with no basis in reality, why get all up in arms about it?

I thought it was well done. It is entertaining and compelling. 8 out of 10 stars but my GF made me give it a 9. Heh. Joking aside, I'd recommend it.
  • Guillermo Nan13 December 2017
    The best tv show
    I ll make it simple is amazing. great story , acting , best show l watched in long time
  • missyjoy2527 April 2017
    Yikes!!!
    This story is terrifying (especially if you are a female). Imagine what happens when the world goes completely crazy and some new completely sadistic world order emerges who claims their acts of incredible cruelty, murder, control , oppression and slavery are all in the name of some mystical God that no one has seen, spoken to or has any proof exists and yet uses the name of God to justify the most horrific and barbaric atrocities.

Without spoiling this is the story about this new world where women who are still able to bear children after the most of society is rendered infertile are made to be handmaidens/slaves to wealthy women who want to have babies but can't. Despite their unique baby making abilities they are still treated like the lowest life form on earth and the only reason they even get to live is because of this ability.

Elizabeth Moss and Alexis Bledel are amazing in their performances along with the rest of the cast. They broadcast the first 3 episodes on Hulu last night and of course I had to binge watch. It made me cry and made me incredibly sad to see how cruel a species humans can be.
  • Robb C.23 June 2017
    The Handmaid's Tale is compelling and terrifying at the same time.
    Adapted from Margaret Atwood's novel by the same name, The Handmaid's Tale is a series of speculative fiction that shows what would happen if women's rights are taken away. A religious cult seizes the US government through a fake terrorist attack and holds power. In a world where most of the women are sterile, they take the fertile ones and assign them to be "handmaids" to provide children for the upper-class, using The Old Testament as their ultimatum. These handmaids are concubines—brainwashed, tortured, and led to believe that they have no other purpose but to serve as the child's vessel for the Commanders and their wives.

First off, the storytelling is fantastic. It adapts the book very faithfully for about the first three episodes, and goes off tangent in some just to explore other character's subplots and possible narratives. The main focus of the story is the protagonist, Offred, but not only does the show give an interesting character study on the handmaid's rights and feminism, but it also exhibits the perspective of the so-called "antagonists"—the Commanders, their wives, and the other religious fanatics who shaped the world—and why they believe what they believe. The acting is undoubtedly great. Elizabeth Moss is the symbol of hope in this otherwise failing world, and she has a couple of outstanding performances in some of the episodes. Other honorable mentions are Madeline Brewer (Janine) who gives an impeccable amount of sympathy and empathy to her character, and Yvonne Strahovsky (Serena Joy) who for me is the most interesting character in the show because she's the grayest; others may see her as wholly evil but dig a little deep into her character and she turns into one of the most complex personalities I have seen in TV.

The pacing is done well for the first four to five episodes, gets a little bit rocky in the sixth to eighth ones, but brings it back up again with the final two (and in my opinion) best episodes in the show. It does get tied up in some fillers and red herrings, and I believe that that one episode where it focused on an entirely different subplot for the whole of the hour is unnecessary, but on the moments where the show shines, it shines indeed. I love how the series uses a science fiction concept (industrial pollution leading to infertility) and translates that into a message about mankind (rights and feminism). I appreciated how it didn't need to use fast-paced action and loud and expensive CGI to tell its story. It only needed a realistic concept, a decently written script, a great score, and of course, fantastic performances. Among the episodes of the first season, my personal favorites were Offred (1.1), The Bridge (1.9), and Night (1.10).

The Handmaid's Tale is brilliant. I was apprehensive at first, but the adaptation from page- to-screen is done well, adhering to the main plot with some minor changes to address some of the more ambiguous subplots in the book. The production is excellent, the muted red of the dress symbolizing the subtle but rising theme of feminism throughout the entire series. This show surpassed my expectations and the release is very timely and relevant. Entertaining and compelling, but terrifying at the same time. A dystopian future that has traces of the historical past. The Handmaid's Tale is not a show to pass on.
  • Selena-Kyle28 April 2017
    A Very Timely Series That Is a Must See
    Like others on here, I too could regale you with moving words that would depict my experience and thoughts while watching this. I thought it best however to simply suggest that those who believe such a thing could not happen, or that we are nowhere near what is depicted in this show, scroll down and read the review by gene0915 from United States (unfortunately it has been deleted or removed now).

See for yourself how that level of rage, bitterness, hate, misogyny, impotence and homophobia is alive and well.

Enough said.

This is a powerful series with a tremendous message and a must-see for every person alive.
  • Mary_Juana18 June 2017
    I ADORE some of these reviews
    Haha. I hadn't even noticed that my comment had been deleted. This show does that. :) It stirs people.

Anyway, my sister has been talking about this nonstop for about two weeks, and so last night I finally agreed to watch. We binged it because although she had already seen three of the episodes, I couldn't stop watching. It was so very well executed and some of the people who have posted reviews saying it is terrifying, are not too far off especially in these times. Many forget that the U.S. has very deep religious roots and that many of the same things we see in this Hulu series have already happened, so to say it will never happen (again?) is very ignorant but also very irresponsible.

>>>>>>> Just TODAY in the U.S., Trump signed an executive order to ease the ban on political activity by churches, in essence allowing churches and religious groups more rights without regard to separation of church and state. <<<<<<< (Well, now, a few weeks back).

Watch The Handmaid's Tale and send a big MESSYOU to those jerks who would try to suppress you (kind of like in having positive reviews deleted). :) Don't let anyone dissuade you. Nolite Te Bastardes Carborundorum!
  • aryamans-6146521 September 2017
    I have to put it in my BEST SHOWS OF THE DECADE ALONG WITH - THE Americans, GAME OF THRONES, THE LEFTOVERS & JUSTIFIED
    Hulu's The Handmaid's Tale is a beautiful surprise. The scene that sold me to this show was in the first episode - 'Offred'. I do not want to spoil that but when you watch it, you will agree with me that it is clearly a masterfully directed piece of art. (SHOUT OUT TO REED MORANO) This show IS GREAT! Honestly, I am not overrating the show but it truly is a must-see show that I hope will continue to climb up to its greatness. People who gave it a negative review clearly felt it HIT TOO CLOSE TO REALITY! Well they will have to deal with it.

Watch all 10 episodes and you will not regret even a single second of it. It deservedly won 8 Primetime Emmy Awards and I hope the critics also think the same about the show!!!
  • SockEmperor11 May 2017
    Powerful
    In a nutshell, the story is real.

It is rooted in historical fact. It includes nothing that has not already happened to women across the world.

The acting is brilliant, and beyond that, the cast seems determined and devoted to tell this very powerful story for not only women, but men. When people's rights are trod on, it affects everyone.

Let's hope that if it ever comes to something like this, more people will be strong, rather than weak. Unfortunately, based on just today's society and who holds the office of POTUS, that may not be the case.
  • M27 July 2017
    Eye-opening show for ignorant minds
    I started watching this show not knowing what I'd be getting into, I had the impression that it was going to be some kind of gory futuristic cult thing, but I couldn't be more wrong. The main character, Offred, is a non-religious XXIst century woman that gets sucked into a religious cult that is based on the greatest hypocrisy the world has ever seen (Women are the only ones who can save humanity, but women are to be blamed, enslaved, brutalized, and assaulted) while her daughter and husband are taken away from her. She is then subjugated into an almost emotionless state and continuously raped and threatened, to produce a child that will be given to her masters as if it were theirs. While you would think that this cult like society is deeply religious and non-corrupt, you see the men cheating on their wives with the handmaids and other sex slaves, while saying that "they are only human"; the wives allowing other women to be raped and stripped away from their children; and the Aunts justifying that it is their duty as Handmaids to mend the wrong that they have done for being sluts (lesbians, promiscuous, being on the pill..)

So my question is: ¿Why are people getting so angry with this version of a dystopian America?

Well, I think because it isn't sooooooo far fetched after all.

This show is the depiction of what religion does to societies, and I mean controlled religion, not the spirituality of one self. I started reading the reviews, as I always do, and I got the feeling that people are confused about the role of the woman in religion. I kept reading reviews that said that this show is depicting the Islamic religion and not Christianity, because Christianity is not based on misogyny, AND THAT IS WRONG. As far as the Islam goes, I cannot speak for it for I have never been introduced to it, but I can speak for Christianity. As a citizen in a country where its culture is embedded in the Christian religion, but we are taught in laic schools, I can say that I have a pretty good understanding of it without being in it. Christianity shows that women were the cause of everything that is wrong in this world, like Eve eating the apple and causing humankind to be expelled from paradise. Women are conceived as sinful and full of lust and lies, whereas men are shown as the opposite.

All this to say that when introduced to this dystopian future where infertility is an epidemic, OF COURSE, THE WOMEN WOULD BE THE ONES TO BLAME. For what I've seen, since the beginning, America has struggled with the separation of church and state, and it was not far fetched to think that if such epidemic were to happen, the zealot elites that exist would immediately take over and try to find the culprits (women, LGBTQ communities...) with the words of an invented book that is The Bible.

So when watching this show, instead of being horrified, you feel accused, you should get it checked out.
  • scarlet812-593-11196726 June 2017
    Fantastic - Excellent Adaptation, Plus!!!
    This isn't a show where people who've read the book are likely to be irritated very much by differences in the production. There are a lot of similarities, but additional content that fits in very well. The book is really pretty brief, so there is a lot of potential material that could be filled in, and the creators of the series are doing that, superbly, in my opinion. Some elements of the book are absent, most notably the white supremacy aspect of the imagined Republic of Gilead (there are several good articles out there explaining why), but overall, the show aligns closely to the book. The idea of a future where government is a theocratic nightmare, for everyone but upper class men, is certainly plausible, given the examples of religious extremism we see in current life. It's no stretch at all to imagine that there is a contingent of extremist Judeo-Christian males, right here in the USA, who'd love to turn the clock back a few hundred years to the days when White Men Ruled The Earth, so to speak. The Republic of Gilead is a Christian version of the Islamic State, though the structure seems to be all based on Old Testament stories & rules. The show illustrates the horrors of what could happen if the separation of Church and State did not exist in America. It's certainly a wake up call for anyone who thinks it couldn't happen here; the explanation of how Gilead came about provides a very plausible progression of events that might be used to effect such a change in government. The creators of the show have done a great job with casting; the actors are fantastic. I've watched all the available episodes, and I can't wait for the next round. Next season will begin pretty much where the main section of the book ended, so I am eager to see where they go with the story.
  • dmg-2983227 June 2017
    Superb series
    I did not know what to expect but this TV series, it has proved a great surprise! Superbly directed and very atmospheric. It shows how societies can become completely nuts in a very short time period. Although Series 1 is exactly based on book, I believe this is not the case for the forthcoming series 2 in 2018. Waiting with great excitement to see how things will develop!
  • shobanchittuprolu30 December 2017
    The Handmaid's Tale (2017):

While I finished watching first two episodes of the Handmaid's Tale,I immediately searched the creator of this show but when I found out that this series is based on the book that was published back in 1985 novel and that too written by a female author Margaret Atwood,I remained awestruck.The dystopian tale of Offred and her female handmaid compatriots-forced by their own government to serve as incubators for the upper ranks of a new, religiously radicalized post-America unable to conceive-is rife with social commentary that is even more prescient in 2017 than it was in 1985, the year it was published.

Plot:

The Handmaid's Tale is the story of life in the dystopia of Gilead, a totalitarian society in what was formerly the United States. Facing environmental disasters and a plunging birthrate, Gilead is ruled by a twisted fundamentalism in its militarized "return to traditional values." As one of the few remaining fertile women, Offred (Elisabeth Moss) is a Handmaid in the Commander's household, one of the caste of women forced into sexual servitude as a last desperate attempt to repopulate the world. In this terrifying society, Offred must navigate between Commanders, their cruel Wives, domestic Marthas, and her fellow Handmaids--where anyone could be a spy for Gilead--all with one goal: to survive and find the daughter that was taken from her.

My Review:

"Ordinary is just what you're used to," an imperious taskmistress tells her charges in the first episode of Hulu's The Handmaid's Tale, which premieres April 26. "This may not seem ordinary to you right now, but after a time, it will. This will become ordinary."When it comes to content,The Handmaid's Tale is one of the most string contender I had ever seen in both film and TV.This series is is so realistically relevant to current social issues and even when the series is released after 10 years from now,it will still feel equally relevant.The Handmaid's Tale is even hard to watch few times as its violence is so gritty.

Handmaid's themes - the cruelty and illiberal thinking of organized religion, the ease by which open democracies slip into authoritarianism as a result of misogyny - may well find an eager new audience.There are lot of powerful scenes in the series which really brings out the most revolting ideas from everyone. On a narrative level, "Handmaid" is at times at its most innovative when it's tracking characters who otherwise might have been lost, exploring in more detail just all of the factors which led to the fall of America and the rise of Gilead.On that latter score, in fact, the show makes full use of this opportunity to heighten the nature of the fertility crisis which, we discover, was instrumental in the political crisis which created this world. The haunting shots of empty maternity wards communicates so much about how possible this world could be, thanks to that sort of terror.

Every detail of The Handmaid's Tale, from the distinctive costuming of the maids - massive hoods that shield their faces, making engagement with the world limited - to the supporting performances, hits exactly the right note.Elisabeth Moss's performance is one of the most powerful performances I have seen.Yvonne as Serena also stole the show with amazing performance.This is one of the rare shows where every actor deserves applause and even awards too.

Visually too,The Handmaid's Tale is surprisingly brilliant.Cinematography is haunting at its best and bacground score is menacing.

So,The Handmaid's Tale is one of the most affecting socially relevant TV Series of all time where aspect of the series deserves applause.

My Rating 8.75/10
  • elijah swain16 June 2017
    One of the years best!
    This series/miniseries was incredibly well written, acted and directed. What more could you ask for? Elizabeth Moss was incredible once again (check out Mad Men if you haven't seen her work before) and I loved Samira Wiley (Orange Is The New Black). It's hard to describe without giving away the plot but it had me from the opening scene until the end. It is depressing, to say the least, though there are admirable traits in the courage that is displayed in some of the characters. I could go into the discouraging foreseeable reality due to our current political climate but that would be doing a disservice to the astounding work here. The best thing I can say is to watch it. Looking forward to season 2.
  • jmhumphrey-434619 October 2017
    Heads up
    Watched this with my wife and now she is hostile at me! Even with that I really enjoyed watching season one and am looking forward to season two. An interesting look at how political and religious extremes could impact society on a larger scale. Very good acting writing and really enjoyed the cinematography. I would highly recommend if looking for a compelling show to binge watch.
  • goerge thompson4 May 2017
    Not for lack of trying.
    The show is decent. Story is interesting, acting is pretty good, direction and cinematography are a bottleneck but still acceptable.

A considerable amount of criticism against this show stems from right-leaning Christians or their apologists, defensive about the portrayal of the USA's favored religion--over 70% of the population is Christian, and basically 100% of our presidents have been also. But it's really only about the conservative Christians--as you'll recall, there was a priest that was executed. These same apologists for authoritarians of the Christian variety say this is implausible in the USA... not for lack of trying. This perception is really only thanks to the U.S. Constitution and the judiciary.

No doubt, the reply is 'but Islam has burkas, rape marriages, and throws gays off rooftops.' But that isn't true in the USA. Now, if you want to go outside of the USA, let's play that game: In Nigeria, where Christians are the plurality, being gay can be punishable by death. There are several Christian majority countries where being gay is illegal today--by the way, the USA barely got its last anti-sodomy (i.e., gay sex in private) laws struck down in 2003 (Lawrence v Texas). In Jamaica, where there's a Christian majority comparable in size to the USA's, gays still get stoned to death to this day.

Let's talk about the USA. The majority of Muslim women in the USA do not cover their hair. American Muslims were more supportive of gay marriage than Evangelical Christians--and that was before the Supreme Court struck down the bans enacted by right-wing Christians just 2 years ago. Today, still, in the USA, we have religious laws, of the Christian variety, banning blasphemy (PA teen convicted for posing with a statue), banning alcohol sales on Sunday, banning revealing clothing, forcing women to give birth, etc. That's today, in America. The last one (forced pregnancy/birth) is a doozy, because we don't even force corpses to give up organs to save lives--you need to opt-in while you're alive or the organs go to waste, because we have to respect the dead. But if you're a living breathing woman with a 9-5 job, barely getting by? Your body is property of the state, you have to give it up to save somebody else--carry them for 9 months, and get over the permanent affect on your body.

'Christianity has reformed,' the right-wingers say, falsely taking credit for the liberal adherents of their faith and the impact of the courts. Sure, in the USA it's not so terrible, but it doesn't count as reform when it's the highest court dragging you kicking and screaming into modernity. And not a single day goes by where American Christians on the right don't work to turn the clock backward.

Is this plausible in the USA? Absolutely. No question.

If you want to learn more about how the USA's laws--never mind the acts of ordinary civilians--have treated women, and not that long ago, go search this on Google:

"Timeline of Major Supreme Court Decisions on Women's Rights."
  • mozaikkurabiye10 June 2017
    Brilliant and horrifying
    I started watching this show without knowing anything about it. IMDb recommended it for me that I trusted it. I didn't know that it will become my favorite show for all times. I watched only 9 episodes for now, but I've already become addicted to it. Aside from astonishing cinematography, the story captured me. I live in Turkey and the situation is very similar to our country's course of events. It gives me goosebumps from time to time seeing that such a situation may also occur in here as well, the change happens slowly, nothing happens in one night. And whatever happens women are the ones who lose the most. There are strong opinions of some people that our sole reason for existence is to reproduce (which is very common in Turkey as well). The show reminds me again and again why secularism is so important.

I highly recommend this show to everyone around me. For those who are not from religious countries should also watch it, because when there is need for change, the religion seems to be the easiest way to influence masses; and it is possible in even U.S. or other developed countries regardless of their improvements on secularism or women's rights.