User Reviews (80)

• kaefab24 October 2017
    Social media is a disease
    I love Aubrey Plaza she is so funny but in this one its a lot more serious.

She is Ingrid and she is suffering from loneliness, and is a stalker.

This was more of a drama for me then a comedy there are few bits of comedy but it felt a lot more like the downfall of man.

Social media is a disease, being popular, its like online dating and the rest of the fake stuff people are exposed everyday. And why i keep my life private.

In this movie you get to see how you think you have friends but they back stab you, and in most part most of us are left alone and can't count on anyone.

The ending of this movie is more sad then ever when she attempt suicide and it fails and she gets all those vote on Instagram...... kind of lame Who cares about popularity when its all fake anyways.
  • pedrokolari2 November 2017
    Quite viewable semi-black comedy about social media
    I wonder at some of the savage reviews this film got on IMDb. It is no candidate for an Oscar but it is a pretty adequate description of the social media scene, has a reasonably ingenious script and is well acted. I describe it as a semi-black comedy because, very appropriately in an environment where nothing es what it appears to be, it is funny but not totally funny, a little tragic but not as much as it could be. Worth spending a while looking at it.
  • kallevarvas29 October 2017
    Brutal and uncomfortable
    Dark comedy with Aubrey Plaza and Elizabeth Olsen? Sign me in.

But what I got, was definitely not a comedy. There are some laughs in this film, but mostly it's a heavy drama about unbalanced, desperate people. And a very well made one.

'Ingrid Goes West' is so real, so brutal, that it makes the audience uncomfortable, but you still can't look away. This is what the world of social media is when taken to extreme. It's reality for thousands of people, if not for millions.

Sad, yet important and powerful, look at our society today.
  • bbewnylorac3 November 2017
    A scathing dissection of social media
    I switched off my iPhone to watch Ingrid Goes West, and at the end I didn't want to switch it back on. Sure, central character Ingrid Thorburn (Aubrey Plaza) is a psychopath - stalking and manipulating her social media idols until they befriend her, and then causing mass destruction for everyone involved. But she also evokes some sympathy, as a lost and lonely girl, with a poor grasp on reality, who happily clings to Instagram as her only source of love. Her target, blonde California instagram It-girl Taylor Sloane (Elizabeth Olsen), is a shallow shell of a girl who has no concept that her breezy internet money making project - posting photos of her sunny, product-heavy life and chatting online to a stream of fake intimate friends - has any consequences in the real world. It's a cardboard cut-out of a world, but to a smitten Ingrid, Taylor is the perfect person. After Ingrid steals Taylor's dog to get the credit for its return, Taylor quickly and unwisely accepts Ingrid as her new BFF. From there, it's a black comedy of errors as Ingrid tries desperately to cling on to Taylor's ultra cool, partying clique, while hiding her rotten soul and her true identity. Ingrid proves willing to assault and lie to anything and everyone in her way. The most poignant victim is her sweet boyfriend Dan (Jackson O'Shea), who is much too trusting and giving to deserve her. She almost destroys him, but like a puppy he sticks with her. The movie's ending is daring and very disturbing, but I thought it makes sense. I laughed, despite the horror. It perfectly summarises the possible dangers of social media, in that creating fake versions of ourselves, and friending hordes of dodgy strangers - or in Ingrid's case, mistaking social media connection for real friendship - can be intoxicating, but also as toxic as rat poison. In the end, Ingrid vows to 'be herself' in future. But that realisation comes without any solid guidance or human support, and having no other aspirations, she's sucked In to playing yet another online obsessive - the victim seeking sympathy. No doubt generating her own deluded stalkers. Her phone is still a menacing weapon of mass destruction. The cycle starts again. I almost screamed - it was like the ending in Notes on a Scandal, where Judi Dench casually latches on to her next victim, like a tiger stalking its prey.
  • Lugo198928 October 2017
    More than you would expect
    The plot line and comedy/drama categorisation do not reveal much when it comes to this film. It is a good thing since it offers more than you would hope for. I would say it is more of a drama than a comedy, there are some quite serious issues covered in this story.

Aubrey Plaza is great as Ingrid, she managed to find a nice balance between being unhinged, vulnerable, obsessed and yet her familiar facial expressions will sometimes still make you laugh.

I believe that the obsession with social media was portrayed nicely here, I am sure you all know or knew someone who is practically glued to their phone and can't imagine lasting a day without it. Instagram, Facebook and other media can really make a person feel a bit depressed since everyone seems happy all the time, they eat at nice restaurants, travel to nice places, go to great parties where in reality it is all a bit phony which is another thing that this film shows. There are not many people who would post something sad because they are having a bad day or are going through a rough patch, the fear of being judged is always present and it would break the balance of everything being seemingly perfect with everyone. If you combine that with a troubled personality or a mental illness, the results can be pretty bad. And that basically describes Ingrid.

It is a solid indie film with good performances and something to think about.
  • rstearns543 September 2017
    Admittedly biased review
    This movie was well made. It was well written and well acted. But I hated it. I hated it because both Ingrid and Taylor represented everything that I despise about our society today - style over substance, vomiting one's life all over social media, strangers who clamor to lick up that vomit, getting personal validation by how many complete strangers follow you on twitter, Instagram, Facebook, etc., letting society dictate your worth based on the same criteria, thinking that every opinion that one has matters and should be shared with the world, etc. In short, social media. And in the end, nobody learned anything. Not even Dan (Played by O'Shea Jackson, Jr., and probably the best thing about this movie) learned his lesson. Nor did Taylor's husband. Nobody. They just kept living their sh**ty lives the same way they did before the movie.

Like I said, it was a technically well-made movie, but not a good one and not really funny, unless you're the type that thought it was hilarious when Carrie got drenched with pig's blood or laugh at the really horrible contestants on American Idol. It's the same kind of humor - mean spirited at the expense of people who are lonely and pathetic and are just trying to do the best they can to ease their pain.

I would have given this movie 3/10, but my personal rule is that anything starring Elizabeth Olsen is worth at least 5.
  • leaugebrett26 October 2017
    Plaza Conveys Loneliness,Obsession, and Hilarity in the Digital Age
    Ingrid Goes West is a pleasant surprise of a comedy movie, discussing obsessive personality in the social media-centric age we live in. Plaza's performance as the titular character is outstanding, with Jackson, Olsen, Russell giving great supporting roles that make their slice of Los Angeles feel extremely personal. To top off the experience, the cinematography is vibrant and the plot is a sweet balance between melancholic and hilarious. I recommend the movie to anyone looking for a unique comedy or commentary on social media.
  • Jared_Andrews17 September 2017
    The Actors Carry This Complicated Social Media Satire
    Aubrey Plaza has a knack for choosing the right small, just off the radar indie projects. In the past, she starred in overlooked gems such as, The To Do List, Safety Not Guaranteed and The Little Hours, which came out earlier this year. Ingrid Goes West is her most recent indie gem, and perhaps her best.

Ingrid Goes West features Plaza as Ingrid (duh!), who has some umm… let's call them social issues. She equates passing interactions on social media as meaningful friendships. These virtual relationships quickly turn into real obsessions.

Her latest target is a California Insta-girl named Taylor (played by Elizabeth Olsen, whose stock is rising rapidly of late), who responded to one of Ingrid's carefully thought out comments on her latest food photo. Taylor's winking advice to "check it out next time you're in LA" is all the incentive Ingrid needs. She grabs her backpack full of newly-received cash (no spoilers on how she got the money) and headed west to spy on Taylor/become friends with Taylor.

Through some mild stalking and other questionable behavior, Ingrid becomes fast friends with Taylor. Desperate to win and retain Taylor's affection through any means necessary, Ingrid takes advantage of her overly trusting landlord/next-door neighbor and Batman superfan, Dan (played by O'Shea Jackson Jr. who is about one more praiseworthy performance away from breaking free from people calling him "Ice Cube's son" and just calling him O'Shea Jackson Jr.) At first, Ingrid pays little attention to Dan unless she needs something from him. But he soon shows her that he's the only one that truly likes her for who she really is. It's the most heartfelt moment in a movie that often hides behind its humor.

Of course, with Ingrid things cannot remain rosy for long. She's a tornado of dysfunction and terrible decision making. Her dream world unravels and in the end the audience is faced with a rather confusing message about the value and dangers of social media.

The movie's stars make everything work. Give credit to first-time director Matt Spicer too, but it's hard to imagine pulling off this level of emotional vacillation with any other group of actors.

Especially in the opening 20 minutes or so, each passing moment evokes a new emotion so rapidly and seemingly randomly that it's almost as if Spicer was tossing dice and choosing a different emotion based on the roll. We dart between heartbreaking, heartwarming, hilarious, and shakily anxious. This is not a comfortable viewing experience.

We catch of glimpse of Ingrid's humanity early on and she remains empathetic throughout despite behaving in mostly distasteful ways. Plaza deserves commendation for her performance, which is both nuanced and unhinged.

Ultimately, Dan reigns as the most likable character, even if he may be the most naïve. In a story of full of phonies, he always stays true to himself. That has got to count for something.
  • Will Jeffery1 July 2017
    So refreshing and extremely funny
    An off-beat, often hilarious comedy/drama about a girl (Plaza) who believes her world has gone from bad to worst until she stalks a seemingly perfect 'influencer' (Olsen) on Instagram and moves cities to try live like her and be a part of her life. The obsession genre has been over done but what this film does to stand out from the rest is not take itself so seriously and is able to pull off using Internet language without you looking for the exit sign. It's great fun even if its flare dwindled a little in the final act as the narrative changed course. It will make you laugh out loud but also reflect on how you use social media to present yourself.
  • MisterWhiplash19 April 2017
    go see this movie
    How would Ingrid operate if not for social media? It occurs to me watching this movie that social media, especially Instagram where pictures probably tell much more about one's life (and with those ever-so leading tells from the little description under the picture, with those hashtags saying the most in the briefest visual communication), doesn't create people to become more isolated and depressed and incensed, but it certainly doesn't do much to help.

In the case of Ingrid, she is someone for who following someone on Instagram is the lifeline into their lives, and if it doesn't create those who are on the outside and need help and don't have it, it exploits it for her. It's possible she could have seen the article about Taylor, the Elizabeth Olsen character - but it's not very likely *Taylor* would have become known as "The Best Friend," seemingly every-so hip and trending, but also a welcome mat for... those who are looking for a friend!

This is one of thoseultra-no-light-whatsoever-black comedies, and it's comedic because we can recognize that low pit of loneliness and despair and cringe along with everyone else as things become intense and estranged and obfuscation and the truth collide (or some of us can - if possible maybe some are secretly more like Taylor, hiding who they are to be much cooler than they really are - or even Taylor's significant other Ezra, who quits his job to become an artist but doesn't sell anything, or maybe Dan is more like it, the would-be screenwriter inspired by Batman Forever - stroke of genius, by the way, that he is *not* inspired by The Dark Knight - or maybe one or two are Taylor's brother Nicky, a real bastard who at least doesn't pretend *too* much about who he is as a character out of a Brett Easton Ellis novel).

In other words, Ingrid Goes West does involve, on paper, one of those psycho-stalker women who we usually see becoming attached to the presumably more together other woman, but that's where the similarities between those kind of movies (mostly) end. The tone is set at the beginning for what one assumes is someone who is off the deep-end as Ingrid f***s with another girl on her wedding. Why this happens is less important than what comes immediately after as she's put into psychiatric care. Will she try to better herself? Hardly, but it would seem like she's not exactly dangerous... at least, not so right away. I'd say there's a bit of the Rupert Pupkin in her, but I'm not sure if she is precisely trying to be *famous* like he was, or has that goal - or, to rephrase it, the goals of Pupkin then and Ingrid now are and aren't the same.

Ingrid sees a way of life and wants to have something as close to that as possible (through certain means that come through a believable plot contrivance, if that makes sense, she doesn't have to work right away and can use the pad via O'Shea Jackson's Batman friend), but it's more than anything about... being friends with someone. It's a fascinating dynamic since the movie is in a large way about her trying to figure out if what Taylor has is what she *really* wants or to have an authentic connection. While Matt Spicer's film (from his and Branson Smith's script) has a lot of wildly funny moments - sometimes through sheer surprise of 'That's genuinely f****ed' but also other times through the simple act of capturing behavior in a wonderfully, insanely exaggerated way - it's about deeper concerns that happen for people who don't, necessarily, have a psycho-stalker hanging around them in the LA hipster-ish-arts scene.

The Instagram and social media aspect is the key; we use these conduits to connect together and, indeed, to show people how we're living our lives (sometimes, as is mentioned casually and briefly but importantly, sometimes if one is lucky one gets *paid* to post such things online like a sponsor, hence Taylor's photography), but it also lessens how to truly connect to a person. I don't imagine Ingrid's mother, who is dead by the start of the movie, used social media, and this is a relationship that mattered a lot and sort of broke Ingrid further than she had been before (I don't also imagine she was ever exactly part of any cliques exactly, but she did have *someone* to connect with face to face on a fundamental level). So by the time a final, crucial confrontation occurs, sort of right before the climax but in the midst of it, what both sides say is true about the other.

Oh, and I should mention about now that the acting here is terrific. Plaza, to be sure, is the stand-out and continues a scorching-all-she-sees hot streak from her recent run on the show Legion (which, in a rather odd way, this *could* be a tangential prequel to, in way, maybe, sorta, I dunno), and she delivers on the awkward/harsh comic timing, and yet more-so on the dramatic level. But while without her, perhaps, the movie doesn't work as well, Olsen and Jackson and even Russell for a couple of crucial scenes stand out as well; Olsen, especially, gets to have a kind of character I'm not sure she's played before, or at least like this, and the layers to her are subtler to go for, and she digs in as much as she can (in a sense her character's most honest time, ironically, is when she's bonding with Ingrid on a drunken/coke-filled free for all, you'll find out why this is, and it makes for an awesomely peculiar dynamic).
  • Danny Blankenship26 August 2017
    Lonely and a obsession to be liked and feel accepted a good take on the current culture of social media.
    With living in a world of technology of the internet and face book, twitter, iPhone, and Instagram this movie "Ingrid Goes West" is a good take and spin on the obsession that it has caused many as people will go to great means to be accepted and loved. It's a lonely world for some yet it seems that never goes away when the obsessions go to extremes. As some can never get enough or take no for an answer.

Ingrid(Aubrey Plaza)is a lonely Pennsylvania girl who needs friends as she's rejected and bored and wants a change of pace and a new beginning, so when she notices an Instagram star on her iPhone out in California, you guessed it a trip to move to the west coast is on Ingrid's to do list! It's already a slow obsession to be a new friend to this social media star named Taylor Sloane(Elizabeth Olsen) as this attractive bright blond girl seems to have it! Ingrid has a dream come true by getting to meet Taylor and it seems like friendship is rolling along only it's not as each has a different lifestyle and social status. After Ingrid feels rejected and isolated you guessed it she becomes a stalker and it's a dangerous little cat and mouse game with Taylor and others around them.

Overall good film that looks at how social media and the need for acceptance will drive someone to go to many means and they will do anything it's an obsession that will lead even close to death. This is a film to check out as it's in step with our current times.
  • popcorninhell25 August 2017
    More Than a Takedown of Insta-Fame and Avacado Toast
    Ingrid Goes West may prove to be the King of Comedy of the millennial generation. It is a charring and incisive black comedy that smartly uses social media as a means to explore the darker side of human nature – obsession. Anchored by a savagely funny script and a pitch-perfect performance by Aubrey Plaza, Ingrid Goes West is the deviously wicked, unflinchingly bitter, infinitely quotable knockout comedy that at least this writer has been waiting for all year.

Ingrid Goes West follows an unhinged and frighteningly relatable social media stalker (Plaza) who finds a new obsession in the form of Instagram photographer and personality Taylor Sloane (Olsen). When Taylor likes one of her comments, Ingrid decides to cash what's left of her inheritance for a move to California. From there she insinuates herself into Taylor's life; trying desperately to assimilate to her new, chic So-Cal lifestyle while refusing the advances of her good-natured landlord Dan (Jackson).

The inner torment that plagues Ingrid has an everlasting presence. You can see it in her eyes, her mannerisms, the way she obsesses and thrusts herself through the plot. She remains for the most part, an enigma but not the kind you can find intriguing or sexy. She's more like a void; desperate to distract herself from whom she really is with imagined perfect lives and even more perfect photo filters. To the brilliantly vulnerable Dan, she's suspicious; to the vapid Taylor she becomes a monster. Who is she really? She may not even know.

Yet she's not exactly the epitome of an anti-social obsessive. She displays genuine emotional intelligence; even while getting caught up in her own whirlwind of manipulations. Her relationship with Dan provides a glimpse into what she's really about as well as affirmation that she wouldn't stop even if she wanted to. She's less Travis Bickle and more Gene Tierney in Leave Her to Heaven (1945), hopelessly looking for love in all the wrong places; not a sociopath but a histrionic.

The satire of Ingrid Goes West has become a bit of a fault line between audiences, critics and critics of a certain age. Those inclined to think scrolling through your phone is an anti-social pastime are liable to think Ingrid Goes West pulls its punches. Ben Kenigsberg of the New York Times wrote the movie "comes close to saying something sharp…but ultimately cops out in the end." Similarly Rex Reed muses Ingrid Goes West "looks more like a tweet than a movie".

I'd argue if you take away the trappings of modern technology Ingrid wouldn't cease to be, she'd simply latch onto and unhealthily exploit some other escape such as: radio (Play Misty for Me), books (Misery) or TV (King of Comedy). Sure it'd lack contemporary immediacy and older audiences wouldn't get that extra dopamine fix of laughing at "those stupid kids and their devices," but the painfully human insights would still be very much there.

Thus as much as some would like Ingrid Goes West to be a savage takedown of hashtags, Insta-fame and avocado toast, it'd be more accurate to call it a lampooning of human behavior. It aims its sights at the insidiousness of exclusion, and how the need for validation can turn toxic. Additionally it holds up a mirror not just on us in a general sense but holds it up to you and dares you to look into the void. In the case of this movie the void looks like Aubrey Plaza. I suppose there are worse things in the world.
  • siderite17 March 2018
    Not a comedy, but a serious drama about social network addicts
    I only wanted to watch this film because of Aubrey Plaza, who I think was great in Legion. I had skimmed the trailer and it showed a smiling girl doing crazy adventurous things, so I thought it was a road trip comedy. That trailer is the single most reason why I didn't give the film a better rating. It is completely misleading. Instead, you get the story of a person who only feels alive by attaching herself to people that are glamorous online and faking every aspect of her life to become their friend.

However, that is revealed from the very start, and the story as well as the character, evolve into showing how that particular obsession manifests, but also how people might change out of it and the power of being honest with yourself and maybe others. As it is, it is a rather slow film, one that can be understood just by skipping ahead a lot, but individual scenes are also powerful and if you are in the mood you should stay with it, no matter how uncomfortable it is to see the character squirm under the weight of her own castle of fake cards.

Bottom line: if you wake up in an unfamiliar place from a near death experience and your first words are "where's my phone?" this is the film for you. Audrey is great in the titular role and everybody else, including Elisabeth Olson, is pretty much supporting cast. Not a film for everyone, but it was pretty good.
  • hyperactiveturner5 January 2018
    Dark Comedy doesn't promise a 50/50 balance.
    This film's portrayal of obsession and social media taking over modern lives and interests is spot on, and overall it's thoroughly enjoyable from start to finish. Just know what you're getting in to!

Too many of the lower reviews are complaints that the film was too dark and not funny enough - this shouldn't reflect on the overall score. The writers had a point to make and they made it well while creating something that is entertaining even at it's saddest moments. It's a far more powerful movie than a lot of people seem to expect but that's not a bad thing. And don't even get me started on the people taking the comedy as some sort of twisted justification for the darker aspects, this film is not at all defending online obsessions or humouring the idea that online attention is important at all. It's simply shown to us from Ingrid's (well-established) sick mind.

If the premise interests you at all then it's a safe bet you'll enjoy the film, just don't expect a light afternoon comedy based on a dark concept, it is very much a miserably solid display of that dark concept with comedic aspects lining the fabric.
  • dokrauss23 June 2017
    Live by the Cell, Die by the Cell
    Old goats like me who had a Spyder bike with playing cards in the spokes, posted letters without zip codes, and knows that Elgin-2745 is a phone number do not get this generation. Take phones: to us they are devices used to speak privately (pre-NSA) to other persons over long distances, not substitutes for maps, post cards, or movie screens, and what's wrong with a flip phone, anyway? Other than the town gossip, we did not live on our phones. But you guys do. Specifically, you live on social media, which is the modern equivalent of a party line (you don't know what a party line is? Punk.). You claim to have 675 friends. No you don't. You have two. The rest are stalkers.

Ingrid Goes West is about one of those stalkers, Ingrid Thorburn, played by Aubrey Plaza (the cute version of the Shadow King in Syfy's Legion). She is a wacked-out cyber troll who believes she has close personal relationships with anyone she "likes." After spending several months in an institution for a rather unfortunate incident involving one of those "friends," Ingrid latches on to a hippie chick (we're using my generation's terms, okay?) in Los Angeles named Taylor Sloane (played by the Scarlet Witch) who innocently replies to one of Ingrid's posts, which is a reply to one of Taylor's posts showing her breakfast. Right there: who takes pictures of their food and sends it to everybody? Certainly not us old goats.

Ingrid converts her mother's inheritance to cash and moves to Los Angeles, renting a townhouse owned by Batman. Well, not really, it's owned by Dan Pinto (played by Ice Cube, Jr) who is a Batman-obsessed screenwriter wannabe working on a script for some unofficial Batman treatment…in other words, fanfic. Ingrid then sets out to make her imagined BFF her actual BFF through stalking and dognapping and dinners and binge drugging and stealing Batman's truck and even buying the house next door. Hilarious, right?

Depends on your generational viewpoint.

From theirs, this is a comedy of errors and mistaken identity and farce and misstep, like The Big Lebowski. From mine, it's tragedy, and not even tragicomedy, although there are some rather funny moments. The underlying tone is menace and insanity and desperation. Everything is fake, from Taylor's bohemia to her husband's artistic ability; everything is performance art, from shopping to girls' nights out, and it is all displayed worldwide one selfie at a time. The only real person in the movie is Pinto, who has a legitimate, heart-wrenching reason to become Batman. Ingrid, trying to keep up with her new "friends," escalates things to the point of near- murder.

Ingrid becomes undone when Taylor's brother steals her phone and discovers her scamming, but, really, why was that necessary? A simple Google search would have accomplished the same thing; indeed, would have disclosed her previous incarceration because she doesn't use a fake name. Why not? Because Ingrid and everybody else inhabit an alternate reality (which used to be a science fiction concept) so insular that anyone who replies to your post must be you. A generation that considers itself internet hip is internet stupid.

And internet redeemed. When Ingrid's lies finally unravel, she does not get what I expect; she gets, instead, what she expects. I scratch my head. You cheer.

The space between us.
  • ellencontributor27 October 2017
    Stay away. This movie is not funny.
    I watched this movie because I thought it was going to be a comedy. And I was laughing for a while near the beginning of the movie. But it took a serious turn when Ingrid had her boyfriend kidnap and brutally attack someone. Then her friends reject her and she runs out of money. Finally she live streams her suicide after trespassing on her neighbor's property to charge her phone.

But the worst part of this movie is that they try to turn her suicide into a happy ending with Ingrid receiving thousands of sympathetic messages from strangers after her video goes viral. Which realistically it wouldn't. Viral videos are either funny or cringe worthy. Not just sad like that. All she does is cry while she talks about how pathetic she is.

So my advice is to stay away. I was expecting a funny enjoyable movie and was let down.
  • Ana16 November 2017
    Just OK, nothing special
    Ingrid Goes West is a drama that focuses on a young woman who has recently lost her mother and becomes obsessed with filling the void she has left behind by finding a best friend trough stalking trendy bloggers on Instagram. This is the way she discovers Taylor, one of these trendy bloggers, who is situated in LA. In pursuit of what she believes will make her happy, Ingrid goes to California to find Taylor and befriend her, only to find out that this Instagram celebrity's life is basically one big lie.

Even though the message of the movie is a powerful and important one, highlighting that the age of being who ever you want to be is literally here because an impressive Instagram feed can fool everyone into thinking you live the perfect life, it still feels like it has been said so many times before. I couldn't help but be bored at certain points, because by the time Ingrid has befriended Taylor you basically know what will happen, it was just too predictable for my taste.

I want to point out that something being incorporated in films many times before is absolutely not a bad thing, and the philosophy behind the dark side of social media craze is a very interesting topic, but if it's done it needs to be done right and bring a fresh perspective, something I feel this movie just could not deliver on.

I will give it points for good acting and a good script, but other than that there is not much more worth giving credits for.
  • joegotts25 August 2017
    ....actually, quite sad and not very funny....
    My initial expectation was for a "dark comedy," but after the first few minutes, I began to get an uneasy feeling that the plot was going to proceed in a sad and quite depressing manner. My feelings were proved to be correct, and at the conclusion of the film, I left with tears in my eyes. I don't think that result is what the director and writers had in mind. By the way, I have two daughters of approximately the same age as Ms. Plaza, and I would never want either of them to share the same experiences as depicted, nor would I find any humor in most of those experiences. Sadly dark, but sad, sad, sad, nonetheless.
  • hipCRANK25 August 2017
    Social Girl.
    So close … so close.

As an edgy, black comedy about a sympathetic but unbalanced internet stalker, "Ingrid Goes West" has all the pieces in place for cinematic gold. And for most of the duration, it gets it right. Aubrey Plaza as the mousy, cute yet conniving and vindictive Ingrid, is a character handful, morphing her desperate, klutzy loner self into a confident socialite.

Tricking an internet personality into a fabricated friendship, Ingrid's lies pile up quickly, and we know this can't end well. And though her methods are immoral, Ingrid is easy to cheer for as the outcast in search of acceptance. Using Social Media as a friendship platform is a brilliant stroke: it's all based on likes and follows and emojis. So what exactly is a friend these days? And who is real? "Ingrid Goes West" asks some very pertinent and timely questions.

Clever, but incomplete. Or at least a film that kinda loses it's way at the end, as the fibbing train derails, things turn dark, and when a killer ending is needed, a kind of sappy conclusion is inserted instead.

Oh well, still a pretty damn good film for the most part.
  • Dames F26 October 2017
    The Incredibly Talented Ms Aubrey
    I thought that O'Shea Jackson Jr. and Aubrey Plaza were both good in this film. It is a morality tale with some bite, which is lost a little in the resolution.

Why I mark it down is for the writing credits, or rather the absence of them, as it carbon copies large elements of "The Talented Mr Ripley".(This is jarringly obvious in how close the characters of Freddie Miles, played by Philip Seymour Hoffman, in "T.T..M.R.", and Billy Magnussen's Nicky Sloane, in this film, are. This is the most obvious "lift" but there are many such steals. The undertones of same sex attraction between the anti-hero and the woman, who is her obsession, is another example.) The film makers then take these elements and drop them, largely unaltered, into their own script. It's almost as close to the older film as "Cruel Intentions" is to" Dangerous Liasons". Thus, for me, it draws criticism for a lack of honesty, and pales in comparison to Highsmith, author of the novel Ripley was based on. It would have been far more satisfying if the creators had acknowledged their debt.
  • KJ Proulx25 September 2017
    An Impressively Unsettling Film
    While technology surrounds us each and every day, we really don't look to the negativities of it all that much. Sure, there are trends that people follow throughout social media and certain apps that become popular, but you never really hear about stories like the one told in Ingrid Goes West. While this isn't a true story, the elements feel very realistic and this can be a very hard film to watch at times, in terms of its daring subject matter. When you step back and look at how much popularity can consume someone, it becomes a very scary thought, which is exactly what makes this movie so great. Here is why believe Ingrid Goes West is a very relevant movie and one that's worth your time.

Being a loner and having nothing to do with her life after the passing of her mother, Ingrid uses those funds to Tavel to Los Angeles in order to stalk and befriend a famous Instagram persona in Taylor Sloane. Very quickly becoming friends after setting everything up perfectly, this movie comes off as more of a quirky comedy throughout the first act, but that aspect very quickly devolves into a gut-wrenching story of lies and deceit. This is a harmless premise that seems like it could almost be too annoying to watch at first, but the material present as this film comes to a close, is worth the price of admission alone.

Aubrey Plaza is great in her own way at almost everything she does. I've come to like her in pretty much everything I've ever seen her in, but I believe the show-stealer is Elizabeth Olsen here. She hasn't really been given many meaty roles to dive into, and while I wouldn't exactly call this a meaty role, she definitely brings her all here and makes you believe in this "perfect" character. The bond that Plaza and Olsen share leapt off the screen, almost to the point where I found myself upset that this wasn't a true friendship that was going to last throughout the entire duration of the film. This was to be expected though, due to the fact that this film needed a few emotionally challenging moments in order to earn its welcome.

This is simultaneously a very difficult, yet easy film to watch. Through the quirky and lovable performance that Plaza delivers here, her dark and depressing side also needs to be present in order for the film to feel like it had a payoff. Without spoiling anything, the third act spirals out of control (in a good way), providing some very deeply emotional moments, making you truly feel for certain people out there in the world and how fame can really get to someone's head. While the thoughts and actions that Ingrid goes through are definitely not something all celebrities go through, this is a story that happens far too often in the real world.

Using popular terms like hashtag and countless other abbreviations throughout the film, I can easily see many viewers being turned off, especially if they're not familiar with today's lingo. Ingrid Goes West is a film for those from the ages of 14 and up. Yes, some of the material is a little harsh for younger viewers, but kids in high school are just as likely to end up like Ingrid does as anyone else is. With a very good and well planned screenplay, accompanied by solid direction and wonderfully realistic performances, I found this movie to be near perfect for what it set out to accomplish. Sure, it does have a few annoying lines of dialogue throughout and you will most certainly hate a lot of the characters, but that's also the point. In the end, this is a very relevant film for today's day in age, so it comes highly recommended in my book.
  • akkusosman229 August 2017
    great movie, could have been much better if it had a better ending
    Ingrid goes west was a great movie about a woman who i would say is a little socially awkward but but wants what we all really want deep inside... INSTAGRAM FAME. She finds this perfect best friend and tries to become her best friend and goes a little overboard. In the end, everything goes crazy and that's it. I didn't like the ending because i think the main characters issue doesn't really get fixed and wasn't really satisfying to call it a REALLY GOOD movie. It just creates a different scenario that the main character might have problems with. Its not a triumph, not a big relief and not that satisfying. Don't get me wrong the movie was great, but it could have been much better if it had a better and more satisfying/exciting ending.
  • Jon Ochiai27 August 2017
    "Ingrid Goes West" is shocking, disturbingly hysterical, and resoundingly sad. You laugh in uncomfortable familiarity and experience touching compassion in one of the year's best and darkest movies. Aubrey Plaza and Elizabeth Olsen are stark, fearless, and human frailty in this cautionary tale of the darker obsession of social media. There are no great heroes in Director and Writer Matt Spicer's "Ingrid Goes West". There are a lot of the people we know.

Aubrey Plaza plays the lonely disturbed Instagram stalker Ingrid Thorburn, who methodically insinuates her way into the life of Social Media "It Girl" Taylor Sloane, played by Elizabeth Olsen. Taylor is famous for being essentially famous, with 1 million followers. Ingrid actually moves to Los Angeles using her inheritance of $63,000 from her late Mother, when she discovers that Taylor lives in Venice, California. She wants to friend the object of her obsession, confusing "likes" as an actual invitation of friendship. This may be the cautionary tale of having the "virtual life".

Spicer and co-writer David Branson Smith evoke brazen humor and explore perhaps the darker side of desperation and wanting to be loved. No one is likable in "Ingrid Goes West". But we have empathy for Ingrid's suffering. Plaza's Ingrid is social pariah, and seems both sociopath and psychopath. Plaza is so bold as Ingrid lies to others, and displays total disregard for right and wrong. Ingrid has little remorse for her actions, and less compassion for others.

In the opening scene, Ingrid pepper sprays Charlotte, played by pretty Meredith Hagner, for not inviting Ingrid to her wedding. Turns out that Ingrid was only a "friend" on Instagram, she really did not know Charlotte at all. As a result Ingrid is sentenced to a psychiatric rehabilitation facility. After serving her time she is released to go home. Ingrid discovers her new object of obsession in Taylor (Olsen). So Ingrid goes west to be with her.

Out west, Ingrid rents a house in Venice from Dan, played by charismatic O'Shea Jackson Jr. Dan might be her one true ally, may be even become a friend. Dan is a coke head, landlord, and aspiring screenwriter with a new "Batman" treatment. At least Dan has a hero, unlike anyone else in the movie.

Ingrid and Taylor's superfluous friendship eventually flames out. In catharsis at Taylor's desert home, both confront each other's lies and inauthenticy. Taylor says, "You need professional help!" She is right. We laugh hysterically at the inane exchanges and selfish action of both Ingrid and Taylor. But as sincerely embodied by Plaza, Ingrid needs help. Plaza captures the quiet desperation and loneliness of the girl, who simply wants to be loved, yet has no idea how to do so. Plaza is compelling in Ingrid's fear just to be herself.

Spicer poignantly displays the profound depth of shallowness in the life of Taylor and those closest to her. To that end Elizabeth Olsen is amazing. There is the scene as her Taylor confesses her dream for buying the house next door to Ingrid. It's a lie. Olsen plays it straight up, with subtle mesmerizing awareness. I think this is Spicer's commentary on the whole vapid nature of social media obsession, where the surface trumps all else. In the brilliant pool scene Taylor's distraught husband Ezra, played by vulnerable Wyatt Russell, tells Ingrid how everything on Taylor's Instagram posts are "the best". Obviously, not everything can be "the best". But we get the clue that neither is Taylor or his marriage.

Conflict arises when Taylor's painfully shallow brother Nicky, played by whimsical Billy Magnussen, outs Ingrid as Taylor's social media stalker. Spicer and Smith's narrative turn is somewhat contrived here, yet leads to both the touching and ironic.

Near the end, Plaza is heartbreaking as Ingrid records her selfie video. She says, "I'm a loser…" No, Ingrid is not. She does horrible things to people. She suffers, is lonely, and can't love herself. No, she is not perfect. She is human.

Perhaps, that is the morale of "Ingrid Goes West". We should all have compassion for others, because we really don't know what's going on inside. Although, "Ingrid Goes West" will make you simultaneously laugh and squirm, it is so worth watching. The darker side of humanity is still humanity.
  • Trevor Pacelli25 August 2017
    Removes the Filter and Tells the Truth
    I admittedly relate quite a bit to the Ingrid of Ingrid Goes West, I've selfishly studied people's news feeds, publicly cried out when I felt left out, and Facebook frequently made me feel left out, particularly throughout high school. So now the common emotion cranks up to eleven when watching the Instagram obsession of Ingrid. These usually mundane, harsh glowing screens within the larger movie screen prove to us how social media has turned us into layered liars, until an @ symbol in front of our specialized name replaces our flesh-and-bone identity.

Ingrid's story starts after getting out of rehab for stalking and pepper-spraying the bride of a wedding she didn't get invited to. Now, she spends significant time revising the way she types laughing in a comment while scrolling through her feed, just like what I too have done before. This lonely main character stalks everybody she wants to mimic, and openly hates them for the public to see. Yet we still understand her predicament, since we are immediately told why. She cries uncontrollably when watching the happier lives through her news feed, mainly because she lost her mother to a heart attack at a young age, her urn resting in the living room.

Then when she starts stalking another young woman in Los Angeles, the fun really begins. The stalking starts normal enough, but you soon grow amazed to see the dangerous and often funny risks she takes to steal and lie her way to friendship. Just when you thought she already reached her limit, she proves you dead wrong.

Since everything passes through a filter nowadays, director and co- writer Matt Spicer matches the common Instagram user's worldview: sunbeams, drinks served in mason jars, hammered copper cups, Joan Didion novels, and modern "art" sold of social media lingo pasted onto paintings. Even the fashion trends here match the creativity millennials contributed to society, setting a strong contrast between the filtered and unfiltered life. At home, she throws on miserable rags, sweats, and towels. When out in public, she attempts to look confident in her lightweight, costly dress. When she finds the ideal Instagram figure she wants to befriend, she copies her look, including dying her hair blonde in a look which clashes against her dark skintone. The usually gorgeous actress, Aubrey Plaza, (Parks and Recreation, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World) looks unflattering as Ingrid, dissimilar to the girl she idolizes, who flaunts the most Instagram-y hairstyle and wardrobe.

My greatest praise goes to the casting director, stunt choreographers, pyrotechnicians, and visual effects team for creating an intense, valuable production where communication was clearly strong. Although, stylistically speaking, you could tell this was Spicer's first attempt at a full-length feature. Early on, he sets up a montage of still images in the style of The Big Short, only never to be seen again. For the most part, the camera and lighting decisions look very plain, sometimes even underexposed, especially with the white walls plastered along the set pieces.

If anything else bothered me, besides the characters' inconsistent motives, it was the unrealistic "fake out" ending like in Birdman or (the Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) that communicated a potentially harmful message.

Looking beyond the flaws, the performances turn out better than they needed to be, Aubrey Plaza's sorely delightful portrayal compels you as she drowns in a pool of her own mascara-drenched tears. Billy Magnussen (Bridge of Spies, Into the Woods) also gives a very disturbing performance as a drug-addicted brother. Plus, Ingrid's Los Angeles landlord, a vapor-smoking screenwriter, played by O'Shea Jackson Jr. (Straight Outta Compton), sombers you with his backstory about why he loves Batman so much, then delights you when he and his lover engage in Catwoman-themed sex.

So while the visuals may not capture the Los Angeles culture, the people in it certainly do. They trap you in the city by bringing the lighthearted sunny appearance into thriller territory packed with robberies and cocaine. So Ingrid Goes West does do one thing better than La La Land: Communicating the hard truth about the famous city of stars.

Overall, Ingrid Goes West gave me one important takeaway: tell the truth on social media, for we each need that openness to let others know the real us. Once the real us comes out, then the real friends will soon open up to us.
  • mdumeny30 August 2017
    Don't Waste Your Time
    I generally like Aubrey Plaza, but this movie left both my wife and I wishing we had watched paint dry instead. I won't bother to post a detailed review, as there are plenty online already telling you what the movie is about. Instead I will mention two things which happen in the movie, one of which gave me false hope the movie might start to get interesting, and the other which provided the "happy" ending.

Item one - after an hour plus of bland, boring, nothing happening, there is a fight scene where one or two characters might be severely injured or dead. I'm thinking, maybe we're going dark and finally something interesting will happen, and things will get crazy. But no such luck - the movie merely returns to its boring, low-keyed drift, into a continuation of meaningless nothingness.

Item two - Aubrey Plaza' character does something awful and destructive to herself, gaining her notoriety and possibly a "happy" ending for the movie. Ironic, I'm sure, and intended as a surprising ending for the movie, but unfortunately even less imaginative than the previous 80+ minutes. Unfortunately, they should have started the movie with this scene, then we could have all gotten out early and found something else to do.

I cannot imagine how this movie got an 88% on RottenTomatoes! I don't fault Aubrey Plaza (or the other actors, who were competent) for this disaster (except maybe for script choices), but I was very disappointed.