User Reviews (2,893)

• MR_Heraclius3 March 2020
    Well...the visual effects are groundbreaking but it lacks heart and flare - and feels soulless compared to the original. Donald Glover and Beyoncé felt like miscasts - it feels like they're reading lines from a sheet. See this remake for the visual effects; but go back and watch the original animated masterpiece in all its glory.
  • menzoderks21 July 2019
    The original Lion King is one of my favorite movies of all time and if you feel the same I'd recommend you to never watch this remake. Now let me explain how this movie is completely ruined.

1. Characters have no facial expressions - So in the original if you just turned off the sound you'd still be able to understand what's going on as the body language and facial expressions were a big part of what brought these characters to life. In the new film simba looks like a real lion and similar to a real lion he has zero facial emotion. This is true for all the characters.

2. The voice acting is horrible - everyone talks incredibly unemotional and SLOW. These actors have likely been told in production to do so as otherwise it would have looked weird for these animals to move their mouths so fast. Even Mufasa's voice is far slower and less emotional while it's still the same voice actor. They really talk half the speed and have odd pauses in their dialogue. Emotion is gone entirely.

3. Clever jokes and small exchanges are not in this movie - Because characters talk so slowly they can't say as much. Therefore all small jokes and clever exchanges are left out. A few are kept in, but fall flat as the timing is off now. For instance when in the original Simba and Nala go to the elephant graveyard the hyena have all these fun exchanges and they are left out in this movie, Instead we get 2 hyenas that are particularly unfunny...

4. The songs are ruined - In the original movie, songs bend real physics and reality to give an expressive montage that was visually stunning. Here they just walk or jog a bit.Then a few other animals might appear, but that's about it. Songs are also played at a slower tempo which in itself ruined all the momentum out of the song.

5. Simba is unlikable - Before simba flees away from pride rock you feel his character is a bit reckless and a bit cocky, but he is also brave and has the characteristics of a leader as he protects others. In the elephant graveyard he stands up for Zazu (while he does not even like zazu) saying the hyena's should pick on somebody their own size. When he and nala then have to run for their lives nala is falling behind. Simba then runs back and saves her by scratching Shenzi. These 2 things do not happen in the remake, which make simba a cocky guy only caring about the power he will get as a king. In the second half you'll start to wonder if he really should be king.

6. Filler scenes - There are a few additonal scenes or things that are dragged out that give zero character development and do not bring new information at all. You'll notice these scenes in the film, but to give 1 example I'll tell the one that's the least spoilery. Remember that mouse that scar grabs under his hand in the beginning? You see him run up to the camera, wash his nose and BAMN. Scar has him under his paws. In the remake we see this mouse crawl for a whole minute. Why?!? Later in this movie there is something that took the original 5 seconds too, but here takes 2 minutes! They're are really struggling to make the movie 1 hour and 50 minutes, whereas I do not think it's necessary at all and they could have just made a movie of 1 hour and 25 minutes as the original was.

This movie has no soul and leaves a bad taste towards the original.Disney has lost all it's credibility and respect it still had left by making this atrocious movie.
  • The movie is adequate, that's not good enough for this live action though. Lion King is a masterpiece story that has been celebrated for years for its emotional and timeless value. This version falls really short. The voice acting is flat the tone is wrong and there is little to no emotion felt during a very slow boring few hours.

The only highlight in my opinion is Seth Rohan and Billy Eisner. Past that? A very forgettable and hollow version of the story.

Oh and Beyoncé over sings everything.
    Just to be clear, this is my all time favorite movie. I can't stress this enough. I love The Lion King (1994), but what I saw today was horror for me. The CGI was good, but everything else wasn't. I would recommend you to watch this movie only so you can appreciate the original at its true value. They RUINED (and again, can't stress this enough) the songs (especially Be prepared). The actors were awful, plain, flat (except James Earl Jones, Seth Rogen and John Oliver). Beyonce????? Really? ANYONE else could've done a better job, and I mean anyone. Had NO EMOTION what so ever. None.

Missed important scenes from the first movie like: 1. Rafiki hitting Simba with the stick saying "it's in the past"; 2. Smart-funny conversation between hyenas and Simba/Nala/Zazu. ... and many more.

I wanted to cry when Mufasa died, but I couldn't because it all happens in 20 seconds and it is FLAT.

Also I wanted to cry at the end of the movie because it was horrible.
    The CGI in this is incredible, it's mesmerising and beautiful. But that's all it is, is beautiful cgi, they've completely lost sight of the story, the emotion and the magic. It's so boring, the focus has been so much on keeping this photo realistic, that everything else has been forgotten about. They've cut numbers, when Mufasa dies you feel nothing because the characters aren't showing any emotion and none of the acting is convincing. Really badly cast. The fur is so intricate, especially the attention to detail when it get's wet, it's very very telling where the money has gone from the get go.
  • gries3829 July 2019
    Felt like a corporate movie and they know people will go see it on name alone, and they ruined the music. Not sure they realized the music was the best part. Songs felt like when an artist oversings the national anthem. The songs were great originally and felt like they were trying too hard.
  • Lion King was the only movie growing up that actually made me cry, the soundtrack alone was amazing, but there was a magic in the cartoon version. This new one is awful. They spent tons of money on the tech and actors, but forgot to add the magic. This isn't the Lion Queen, it's not about beyonce, but it's become all about her, when she didnt actually bring anything to the movie. James Earl Jones will never get a bad review in my book, he did his job. Everyone else was simply forgettable. The cartoon version I remember each actor, each song, each joke, etc and I havent watched it in years. My guess is that Disney is making all these worthless remakes to maintain the copyrights of those movies, but there's 0 intention to do it with the same magic and formula that captivated people from the beginning. The only remake I've enjoyed so far is Cinderella, we even bought it. The rest I don't even remember and my kids prefer the cartoon versions over the remakes now too, that should say something. Not that anyone at Disney will care, their goal is to take over everything to continue being in control and taking in heaps of money for their own exploits. I'll stick with the original Lion King, including the soundtrack and the Broadway show (also amazing), and never speak of this waste of money of a film again.
  • Visually beautiful. & thank god for James Earl Jones as Mufasa. Other than that just BLAH!! Acting was flat & didnt even hold a candle to original!!! BUT THE WORST was Beyonce!!! Way too much of Nala & Beyonce's stupid singing!!!
  • For such an emotional original movie, I felt no emotions watching this version. Instead I found myself agitated and frustrated wanting to go home and watch the original. There was clearly something that was lost in the lifelike remake.
  • I LOVE the original. I wanted to love this movie. I was over the moon excited for it. They took out too many important parts of the original. Showing the strength of Mufasa but also his friendly side (his friendship with Zazu, how he respects and hugs Rafiki, that he taught Simba how to pounce). Even the opening scene wasn't the same. Why would you alter that? The huge rising sun in tune with the music that gives almost everyone goosebumps. The new one you see trees with a slightly lit up morning sky and then a small sun appears off to the side that isn't in sync with the music. Mufasas personality doesn't sound the same even though it's still James Earl Jones' voice. It's different somehow. The hyenas are not the same. They don't make jokes and laugh at themselves like "make mine a cub sandwich" then laugh hysterically at their own jokes. They eliminated Ed, the one who doesn't speak, just laughs. Timon isn't flamboyant or half as funny as the original. The hula scene in the original was fast paced and funny to distract the hyenas. The new one he slowly sings "Be our Guest"?? No action and not as fun. In fact, ALL of the new characters (including Beyoncé) sound like they are just reading from a script and it's really mundane and forced. None of them are in character and flow like the original. There's no sass or wit. The music is boring. It's a huge disappointment. Rafiki catches Simbas hair and knows immediately it's him. In the original, he knows the scent, but it takes him a minute to figure it out and when he does, he's ecstatic. Not in the remake. There is no image of Mufasa in the clouds to guide Simba to remember who he is. Rafiki doesn't give him a lesson about how the past can hurt with his stick. Simba doesn't hug Rafiki like his father did which is also symbolic to how Simba is like his father. I don't understand why Disney would eliminate these bonds and characters that we all love and change it to make what is a visually stunning movie into something I will never want to see again.
  • liltayzzur1211 August 2019
    So anyone else notice it has a high score of 7.5 on here yet everyone's ratings don't really stretch beyond 3?? Horrendous rendition of a childhood classic. I mean at lest our beloved Mufasa was the same or else there probs wouldn't be any hope of recover from such a flop of voice acting prowess demonstrated in the movie.
  • This is by far and away one of my top movies of all time and definitely a movie that I can say the lines pretty much the whole way through.

After thinking about "what I was disappointed with", I would say the following:

1. The broadway voices of Nathan lane, Ernie sambella and Jeremy irons really added that punch to the characters that you "don't know that you're missing till it's gone". Here I feel these characters fall flat with the "less projecting voices" and it was very noticeable. Seth Rogan was the best, but still, the missing "broadway aspect" these voices carried made the movie fall flat where it just could have been cast better???

2. So many of the little humorous exchanges with the hyenas and with rafiki were taken away. Part of the magic of the lion king was in the humor which was lost in this film. They did try and compensate a little, but I feel the laughter was just not there. Whoopi goldberg and cheech Marin were comedians, why was this not explored more to bring new comedians in for the hyenas roles?

Without the booming voices and humour, you realize that the movie is lacklustre where you are left with the story and the cinematography only. The cinematography is fantastic and I know this is a super hard movie to live up to the original, but I feel a lot of the magic that make this movie "a whole package" was just not there.

Did not feel the same about Aladdin remake - another movie that was with huge shoes to fill (duh, robin williams) and the Aladdin remake was absolutely fantastic.
  • BUT they forgot to animate emotions unfortunately. It's just like watching 2 hours of voice over.
  • Where do i begin for this one. First off, lets just start with casting. I'm not sure who was in charge of casting but wow you did an HORRIBLE job. Not only do the voice actors not know how to express emotion and make us FEEL something, the dialogue is all robotic! Seth Rogen (Pumba) was the only decent individual that matched his role and thats just because it's the easiest role to fill!

Secondly, changing certain plot points didn't flow as smoothly, in other words, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." The hyenas were all of a sudden not comic relief or goofy, but instead more on political and serious. Timo and Pumba have a whole new group of friends in there jungle paradise, which isn't a big deal, but it makes it seem less like a special place that the three share.

Thirdly, most of the movie is a visual flex, they focus less on story and more on trying to show you what their capable of with live action. There are scenes that will unnecessarily take longer than it should, just to be visually appealing.

Finally, this movie did something so wrong, unlike the other Lion King. Instead of showing us emotion, they would consistently try to express it with dialogue. SHOW MORE, SAY LESS. You can say its because the other Lion King was animated and its easier to pull off, but i don't think so.

Basically, been preaching this for a long time, PLEASE Disney, stop doing these remakes, you guys are ruining classics for the future generations. I know its more for the MONEY that these films are made, but at least put a little effort. Big Fat Thumbs Down!
  • Scar was stripped of his vile yet humorous characteristics we saw on his face and body language in "Be Prepared" from the 1994 animation. Beyonce was a complete joke. Sure, her musical talent showed well in the songs, but her lines otherwise throughout the movie fell flat. When I walked out of the theater I basically summed it up with my own one word description...The Lion King has now been, "National-Geograhicallized." It was a less than stellar performance and subpar to the original 1994 film.
  • Simba and Beyonce. Or better yet, it's not Lion King.. It's Lion Queen. She wanted you to hear very clearly what her origin is, while at an interview she won't. Now the album will be a gift to africa or from africa. Great, I did not know the movie is about how much we are devided. She did not get it beautifully done out of respect for the movie. This beautiful creation is messed up due selfish reasons. She should have played the hyena. I always liked Beyonce up till now, she is being way too transparant about her intentions.
  • Another Hollywood smack in the face, great animation with so much promise until the characters started talking, the new actor replacements were HORRIBLE! NO emotions in the voices NOTHING...NOTHING! ZERO emotion, as if these actors didn't care or were just reading there lines in a room by them selves. This was just a travesty, a classic... RUINED by terrible acting , TERRIBLE Direction, just HORRIBLE! WHO the HELL made these decisions??!! With the very few dialog add ons WHY would you re cast WHY????? Why would you remove Jeremy Irons as Scar?? WHY??? Why would you put emotionless actors as Simba, Nala etc.. Yes Beyoncé was not good not at all, no emotions just terrible and ruined the original music. Seth Rogan was ok, yeas just Ok not close to as funny as the original Pumba.. AVOID AT ALL COSTS!
  • Vartiainen9 August 2019
    I did not want to see this movie. I did not want the Mouse to think that I in any way support this new trend of simply remaking old Disney classics with wooden actors and sparkling CGI. But alas, I was dragged into the movie theatre anyway, and here I am, telling you that I'm deeply ashamed that the Great Black Mouse of Disney has my money. Yet again.

Because I was right in not wanting to see this film. Because this is the bottom of the barrel. The other movies have kind of been shot for shot remakes, but every single one of them has had at least something new. Some other angle, some twist, to make it interesting. This, one the other hand? Holy cow in heaven, is this bad. The beginning, for example. You know, The Circle of Life, one of the most recognizable and striking movie openings in history. The exact same. Shot for shot, camera angle for camera angle, the exact same. Except, you know, not as colourful, iconic or fetching. Because it's supposed to look real. Which in this case apparently means that everything looks either more wrinkled, dusty and/or dirty in general. Because that's Serengeti for you. According to the film makers.

Luckily they stopped with the exact shot for shot soon after that, thank heavens, but that was only a minor relief. Because you know what else happens, when you try to make everything look as real as possible? Aside from everything looking like it's going to give you fleas. It makes everything look emotionless! Lions are not exceptionally renowned for their wide range of facial expressions, you know. The reason you can make animated movies with animals as the main characters is because animation doesn't care that lions can't have facial expressions. You can go outside the realms of biology and what's strictly speaking possible. You can exaggerate, emote and play loose with the rules. You can use colours, shapes and perspectives to compensate, to make it look interesting. This film has none of that! It's a dull, emotionless, flat table reading of dialogues we all know and love, but which are given nothing to support them.

Not helping the matter is the fact that they hired celebrity voice actors. These people are talented entertainers, yes, and they look fetching on a poster, but none of them is exactly renowned for their voice acting capabilities. And boy does that show! Even James Earl Jones sounds like he's about to keel over and pass beyond the veil at any moment. There's very little of the majesty and gravitas of the original Mufasa left in his performance.

And I actually misspoke earlier. This thing has one new thing in it. A song. A song by Beyonce, named Spirit. Because apparently that was the price of getting her on board. Or perhaps Disney wants an Original Song Oscar nomination. I don't know, but the song is awful and feels exactly like what it is. A forced, jammed in last-minute addition.

Saints in heaven, was this a bad movie. It's a bit over a week after I saw it, but writing this review actively ruined my morning. I feel awful even thinking about this. About the fact that Disney has made incredible amounts of money with this. That they're going to keep making these.

And I contributed to it. I think I might be sick. Excuse me.
  • mhyrysmm29 July 2019
    The voice actress did terrible!!! The original Lion King had so many emotions, the live Lion King I felt absolutely nothing! It's not worth seeing in theater. Such a disappointment.
  • Bad bad cast. My 8 year old son didn't like it. I love Beyonce but she ruined this movie for me.
  • jpduignan23 July 2019
    No heart, no laughs, I expected it to be good after the jungle book but it's just a terrible cover version without any feeling. Left the cinema after an hour.
  • The movie is good but it's hard to watch listening to all Elton Johns songs being sung bad by Beyoncé. Also when she speaks as Nala she is all you can here. Very disappointing!
  • This movie is wrong on many levels. You cannot get into it, it just feels like a documentary with kids voice on top of it. Most important scenes have been shortened, and useless scenes (cheaper ones my guess) have been lengthen (the mouse in the intro ? seriously ?). Yes, the goal is to put realism, but we could not tell the difference between lions (Sarabi and Nala in paritcular). Everything the original Lion King brought to us (essentially emotions, mostly from the animated faces) has been ripped off, event the few jokes by Timon and Pumbaa did not succeed to pass.

Last but not least, the music seems off too. Some good scores are here, but at the end it just seems to be put above everything like "eyh we need to put music" "ok just put it anywhere you want, dont forget suggestions to the previous score for nostalgia but dont care about if it fits".

This movie is an insult to an entire generation.
    The Lion King was truly a disappointment. It was difficult to emotionally connect with the characters. Timon, Pumba, and Zazu were the only characters who were casted correctly and brought a comic relief into the movie, everyone else was blah. I had high expectations and after 20 minutes into the movie, my expectations fell apart. One thing I was truly looking forward to was the soundtrack, but it truly missed the mark, ESPECIALLY when Nala and Simba sang, "Can you feel the love tonight." I was bumbed out, because Aladdin was fun and better than expected. In my opinion, save your money and just buy the original movie on Hulu. Overall, bad casting and emotionless.
  • It takes everything good about the original and takes a dump on it. Same storyline but the presentation just ruins the movie. Good cg for sure but no emotion, heart or anything good about the animated movie. If you wanna watch lion king, watch the original.