User Reviews (1,404)

• Rating 9.2/10 Aladdin truly is magical. Aladdin has a long and illustrious legacy. As usual, the plot of beggar Aladdin and Princess Jasmine fighting for their love is incredible. This movie was great !! It has comedy,action,romance,adventure and everything else including in all genres of all movie. The acting from everyone was great. Good acting performance by Will Smith a.k.a Genie, Mena Massoud a.k.a Aladdin & Naomi Scott a.k.a Jasmine. For all of you, go see it you wont regret it !! Absolute musical perfection.
  • Why do I have this Jeff Goldblum sort of feeling about these new live action movies?

Disney tried so hard to see if thy COULD do live action version of animated classics that they never stopped to ask themselves if they SHOULD.

Damn... I always disagreed with Goldblum's character but maybe he was right.
  • As soon as this live action version of Aladdin was first announced, it seems certain people were against it. While I too have fond memories of seeing the original animated version at the theatre, I was at least willing to give this one a chance. I'm glad I did. Firstly, people need to realise an animated film and live-action film are two different things. Some things that work in animation just won't translate too well into live-action. The other thing to accept is that, short of resurrecting Robin Williams, there was no way they were ever going to be able to replicate his unique take on the character of the Genie. Once you open your mind to the possibility that something can be 'different' but also *good*; then you'll have a more pleasant experience. That's what we get here: a movie that is familiar, but at the same time new/different (and that's not a bad thing).

From the very beginning, the movie is somewhat different to what we might be expecting when we're introduced to who is telling the story. While it was immediately evident to me what was going on, it wasn't a 'bad' addition. After sweeping shots set to the song 'Arabian Nights', we're introduced to the 'street rat' named Aladdin. Although much fuss has been made about the Genie casting, if Aladdin had been miscast, then the whole film would've suffered. Thankfully, I can say that I almost immediately liked Mena Massoud in the role. He's funny, got moves/charm, makes for a likeable 'thief' and his relationship with his pet monkey, Abu, is as good as I'd hoped it'd be. Speaking of, although people think of CGI characters badly a lot of the time, it must be made clear the animal companions in this are all wonderfully brought to life/fully-realised characters. Abu is expressive, funny, and helpful (despite sometimes getting them both into trouble).

Not before long Aladdin encounters Princess Jasmine (a well-cast Naomi Scott, who does a lot with the character and should make most Jasmine fans proud), who's undercover among the people. I was afraid that the movie would rush through their first meeting, but was happy with the amount of time devoted to them developing an interest in each other. I could instantly tell that the beloved character of Jasmine was in safe hands as portrayed by Naomi Scott and that she had nice chemistry with Massoud's Aladdin. Although not given as much to do as Abu, Jasmine's loyal tiger companion, Rajah, is another lovely animal created with CGI, who I appreciated wasn't largely ignored. Jasmine's other loyal friend, her handmaiden named Dalia, is actually a stand-out character in the movie. Nasim Pedrad has excellent comic timing, as does Naomi Scott, which is on full display in a fun scene where Aladdin comes to the palace and Jasmine attempts to maintain her cover.

The one 'miss' in the casting department is that of Marwan Kenzari as villainous Jafar. While others had pre-judged him based on the trailers alone, I was willing to give him a chance to make up for his lack of sinister voice with what would hopefully be at least a menacing performance. Sadly, he lacks even that. There's nothing particularly memorable about his portrayal (even near the end when he's given every opportunity to unleash in full-on villain mode, he falls way short). About the only 'positive' I could find regarding his character is his animal companion of Iago. The red parrot might not be quite as talkative as the animated version, but he *does* talk (and in a much more bird-like way), getting a few funny lines here and there (I'd expect nothing less from Alan Tudyk providing the voice). It's just disappointing that Jafar's miscast, and thus the 'weak link' in the film.

What most people are probably wondering about is Will Smith as the Genie. I actually thought he was pretty good here (and I found him more likeable in this role than I have in any movie I've seen him in since probably the first Men In Black). There are just one or two instances where I felt he tried to emulate Robin Williams' version and it didn't quite work, but on the whole I felt he brought his own energy/style to the character of Genie and it (mostly) worked. The most important thing was the friendship that he formed with Aladdin. While Smith's Genie may seem a bit more snarky than you might expect, when it comes to the emotional beats, his performance hits the right notes (especially near the end).

Speaking of notes, "What about the songs?" you may ask. I was pretty happy with them, there were just the right amount and they didn't feel particularly intrusive in any of the scenes they were featured. Even the new song, 'Speechless', isn't too bad (though there are those who'll no doubt complain). Massoud and Scott have really nice singing voices and did their songs justice, I thought. Will Smith's also decent with his main songs in the movie (the end credits one I could've done without, though).

I must also praise the costumes (Jasmine's are all stunning, as is Jasmine herself), the use of vibrant colours is quite impressive and the overall look of the film feels like something new/different to what we've seen time and time again in films (especially Disney ones). Things I forgot to mention: the Magic Carpet has as much 'character' as in the original (I especially appreciated seeing how close friends Carpet and Abu became by the end), and even the Sultan's head guard, Hakim, is given some depth.

In conclusion, if you go into the theatre already disliking/hating the film based on just the trailers, then you're probably going to leave the same way you entered: bitter and thinking things like "It ruined my childhood!" (such a rubbish statement). Just try accepting this is a different thing and hopefully you'll enjoy it.
  • miy6624 May 2019
    I know everyone wants to compare this to the Animated version, but don't. Take it as it comes and you will thoroughly enjoy it. It does stay pretty faithful to the animated version I think. Will Smith as the genie could never be the Robyn Williams genie, but I don't think he tries to. He does fantastically well in his own right. Absolutely loved the Prince Ali song where Aladdin enters the city as the prince. Brilliantly colorful spectacle captured really well. Jafar missed a little for me as had lost the smarmy-ness of the animated version. The songs were great and the Aladdin and Jasmine characterization was pretty spot on. I think kids would love this and I would definitely recommend it.
  • Although this remake might seem less accomplished than the eponymous cartoon Aladdin (1992), the film is objectively well done. The actors, the songs, the sets, the costumes, the Computer-Generated Imagery (tiger, monkey, flying carpet, genie), ... everything is excellent!
    I have only ever walked out of one movie before. This would have been the second one if it wasn't for the fact I was at the end of a row and didn't want to disturb two young families. It was so boring and yet should have been so good.

There were so many chances missed. It's set in Arabia and yes the sets and scenery were amazing, but we never got a chance to enjoy them. The film kept skipping from scene to scene with little or no shots of anything apart from the actors. It should have and could have been both magical and beautiful. Couldn't we have seen Jasmin explore the city a little before bumping in Aladdin? That also would have made her character more rounded and show us how trapped she was in the palace.

I totally fell in love with Aladdin from the animated film and had a teenage crush on him for years (yes, ok, he's an animated character I know, but don't judge me). This Aladdin lacked the animated version's spark and determination and worst of all kindness. He briefly hands a child some dates and that's about it. We don't get to see why he helps Jasmin in the market, it's all too rushed and so their relationship never really feels real and left me really not caring whether they ended up together or not.

The songs, whilst sung quite well, didn't seem to fit into the film and every time one of them burst into song it felt false and like it had been crowbarred in.

All in all it was a real disappointment and left me grieving for what might have been.
    Aladdin is the latest Disney remake based on the 1992 animated film starring the late Robin Williams. This 2019 retailing stars Will Smith, Mena Masound and Naomi Scott and follows the tale of a young man named Aladdin(Massound) who meets a young woman at the marketplace unaware that she is the Princess Jasmine in incongito(Scott)and wants to win her over. With help from a charming Genie(Will Smith),Aladdin disguises himself as a Prince. But when an evil sultan named Jafar wants the lamp,can Aladdin win the Princesses heart.

Now I'm not gonna lie I was so nervous watching this film as I thought Will Smith would ruin it with his singing style and the other actors,but to my surprise along with my mom and my brother,we all loved it. Will Smith was great in this film with his comedic timing,Naomi Scott was excellent as Jasmine(And boy can she sing so good). The villian was decent I thought he was different compare to the 1992 version.

The cinematography was gorgeous, the music was very good especially the new song Speechless. The costumes were stunning too.

I loved how it wasn't a beat by beat of the original. For instance in the One Jump Ahead song Aladdin and Jasmine meet first thing while she is in incognito and near the end Jasmine didn't say I choose you Aladdin/call me Al.

Guy Richie thank you for making this film. Would definetly put it in my top 5 favourite Disney Live Action movies of all time now. Definetly buying this movie and may watch it in the cinemas again.

9.5/10

Ps Mena Masound was handsome and likeable. His chemistry with Naomi Scott was perfect.
  • None of the magic, chemistry, charisma, or comedic timing of the original Disney version was present here. Will Smith was the perfect choice for the genie, but they kept the reins on him for some reason. And, in typical Disney fashion, they PC'd the tar out of this one as they've been doing with all of their sequels and remakes over the last several years. Other appealing elements from the original were simply left out entirely. Iago, for example, was a funny character in the 90's version, but pretty much just a normal parrot in this one. Abu? You guessed it. Normal monkey. Skip it.
  • umalironnel10 June 2019
    I was excited watching this movie as this is one of my favorite Disney movies and A Whole New World is a favorite song too. All that excitement turns to disappointment though. I understand that as a "live" action version of the animated film, they had to make it human and realistic. However, as magical the original was, the live action was not able to portray the same, which the film is mostly about. It feels like the creator was torn between making it human and magical. The effects and cgi is not that good. Compare to other films which are originally live actions(Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings), I can't understand why they're not able to do the same level of "magic" with the scenes that requires it. Prime example is the encounter at the end, where Jafar got hold of Genie. That scene turned out a plain dialogue. The acting is particularly not convincing. Example is when Aladdin was thrown out to water from the window. I would've expected Genie to act more hysterical or otherwise acted it out funny, but, it turns out awkward. There are times Abu, the monkey, would just take all the attention from the actors. He was the savior of all the dull and awkward scenes in the movie. Not to mention Jafar, the acting was plain and boring. Nothing you'd expect from a wicked villain. Jasmine's character up to the end had no progression. Finally, the film is generally for kids and would easily convince them from the not so good acting and effects, but can't understand the purpose of adding politics(feminism) in it. It was just unnecessary.
    This remake is so bad. It is not a good movie by any means. All of the characters are ruined. In the original Aladdin was charming and charismatic, in this he's clumsy, awkward and seemingly dim witted. A scene where he fumbles through a conversation with the princess, stuttering inaudible sounds is painful to watch. The sultan, once kind hearted and jolly now controlling and not nearly as likeable. Jafar, no longer old and twisted he's young and evil for a reason that doesn't seem to be explained. Then there's Genie. I was hesitant to see this movie for this reason. I love Will Smith, but no one could ever come close to the masterpiece that Robin Williams achieves with his portrayal of Genie. Will Smith could, and should, have put his own trademark spin on the character. But unfortunately he didn't, and as a result he's very bland. The storyline doesn't help, Aladdin and Genie's friendship isn't built, it's just suddenly announced that they are friends, which just seems odd and insincere. Which pretty much sums up the acting from all he other actors. It feels fake and it feels forced, there were times I thought I was watching a high school production. The original movie deserved so much more than this. The one redeeming feature is some of the choreography, but in saying that I'm reminded of one music scene where the footage was sped up and I was left wondering why film techniques from the 1950s were being used. Very disappointed. I love the original. And that's the Aladdin I love and will keep in my heart as the right and only version.
    One of my favourite movies of all time was quite excited to see they made a re make but honestly they should of kept the same story line of the real movie. It felt empty in some places. Some of the characters didn't act like they should of which is disappointing. Some scenes were great don't get me wrong but I feel as they didn't get the characters quite right and I didn't feel as the storyline was about love I didn't feel it at all honestly. Yes we get it she wanted to rule her country but it was like Aladdin was second to her. Aladdin is supposed to be about love. Oh and jafar.... what was that honestly? Where's the scary long face and the tall skinny body. This character was not good enough And poor abu, no sassy character just a thief. Yes will Smith did play the genie good, full of character but during his opening scene how can he not know Aladdin's name like come on that part wasn't needed he is already funny.

And was this just me or why didn't Aladdin say do u trust me at the start to princess jasmine and they said it at the balcony scene like she remembered!? Honestly I'm so confused And disappointed
    The animated Aladdin in 1992 was my favourite animation of that decade. So I was looking forward to a live-action remake of this classic.

Let me talk about the good. The special effects were well done and it made you feel right in the middle of an exotic country The sets were beautiful and scenery was eye-catching The actors were well chosen and looked like live versions of the cartoon.

Now the bad. Why would the director choose to deviate from the well-thought out script of a classic and come up with something that is worse? Just to show something different? Too many scenes felt like it was ad-libbed because there was no proper dialogue to begin with. The jokes kept on repeating again and again. In fact the actors didn't seem to know what emotion to show because the dialogue had no point.

The comedy from Jafaar...a big plus in the original, was nowhere to be found in this iteration.

They injected feminist/hollywood ideology into a fairytale romance. Jasmine who was so loveable as a strong-willed heroine who fought for what is right, was turned into an equal-rights advocate who's main goal was to be a Sultan. What a disgrace? If the script writers want to tell a story about a feminist, why not make another movie, instead of destroying an age-old classic.

There was no chemistry between the leads. I believe that goes back to the terrible script. The dialogue between them was so awkward, you have to wonder how any romance can develop out of it. In fact, when they started singing a whole new world, it seemed so forced and out of place.

All in all, the director I think the director did not take this movie seriously. Not only was the script half-baked or non existent, the refused to use the original material for the sake of change! What we have is barely watchable, incoherent, and clearly rushed movie. This is the last of these remakes I'm watching for sure!
  • bilalmdali12 June 2019
    Ugh!
    Idk what to say! NOT AT ALL GOOD, I miss my childhood Alladin, It was all real first movie was great everything was perfect, 2019 Alladin From starting to ending everything was not in line, Songs were really bad, Speechless song was not necessary, Sultan is very quite and I don't see his big fat tummy, Yago is not talkative, jaafar is not tall, Gini becomes Human, Ugh!!!!
  • It wasn't exciting at all! The way the introduced the carpet, aboo & the rest of the elements of the movie was kinda "by the way". Was hoping for an exciting introduction to the main elements of the movie. Trailer looked way better than the actual movie.. very disappointed. Movie could have had a great potential. Surprised it's a 7/10
  • So last week my twin brother Peter and I went to see THE ALADDIN Remake at THE HARKINS with our friend John who really wanted to see it. While my friend liked I thought the movie was TOTAL CRAP. Everything about the movie including THE CAVE OF WONDERS was UNDERWHELMING!!!!!!!!! Aladdin and Jasmine had no chemistry whatsoever. The actor who played Aladdin everytime he was on screen his dialogue was TOTALLY PAINFUL to listen to. The actor who played wasn't any better The live screen counterparts of Aladdin and Jafar totally SODOMIZED their animated counterparts from the original DISNEY movie. The only good performances came Will Smith who played The Genie, Naiomi Scott who played Princess Jasmine, and the actress who played Princess Jasmine's Hand Maiden who's role was inconsequential to the movie, but her performance was adequate and she had AMAZING CHEMISTRY with Will Smith. Let's be honest Will Smith didn't upstage Robin Williams as The Genie NO ONE CAN OR WILL. But he did take an really interesting approach to the role and completely made it his own. Will Smith was mostly playing his Dating Coach role from the movie HITCH and I say that because he mostly offered Aladdin dating advice on how to win Princess Jasmine's heart I gotta be honest it was surprising how HILARIOUS Will Smith was in the role of The Genie when I thought he'd be one of THE WORST ACTORS IN THE MOVIE He ended up being up being ONE OF THE BEST. Also Scott did an adequate job as Princess Jasmine and her SINGING IS OFF THE CHARTS Everyone else in ALADDIN COMPLETELY ALADDIN AND JAFAR PS DISNEY PLEASE STOP REMAKING YOUR CLASSIC MASTERPIECES BECAUSE BEAUTY AND THE BEAST AND DUMBO ARE GIANT TURDS TOO
  • I honestly didn't know what I was going into and it was such a delightful surprise! It really exceeded my expectations and I had fun during the whole movie. Critics are really being harsh and I can't believe that beauty and the beast was more critically praised. The movie was so bland and boring while this one has so much energy and life to it. The characters had amazing chemistry with each other and the lines were delivered smoothly. The two things I was worried about that subsided as soon as the movie started are: 1- Jafar's character: Marwan tries his best to make but the material he's given isn't strong enough. I wish they developed his character more. However, I didn't mind the change they did it with his character as it fits more with this version. 2- Cultural representation: The trailers made the movie look like a production from bollywood. Not hating on the Indian culture, but it really annoyed me as Arab to see a Middle Eastern/Arabic folk tale that we all know long before Disney introduced it to the world to be represented in a fully different culture. Fortunately, the movie looks and feels way more Arabian such Arabic writings here and there, hearing some people speaking Arabic briefly, the names and appearance of the people of Agrabah and of course the amazing score! Although there are some slight hints of India/South Asia in the clothing and dancing, but I didn't mind that at all.

I would've give it a 10 if the cinematography was better. This is my only issue with movie as it looked like high budget TV soap opera in some scenes.

Don't miss on this one! You'll have fun.
  • The original is still the best. Robin Williams as genie laters. Robin Williams as the genie was the one single handed role that made Voice acting attractive to the big actors. that opening sequence in the cave in the original. you can't that! anyway the other big thing is the Aladdin of the new couldn't act!!! the new jasmine was amazing. aesthetically as well her acting. sum up new Aladdin actor and new jafar ruined.
  • amold-7301621 June 2019
    The animation is one of my all time favourite Disney films. Full of laughs, heart, emotion and an incredible story. This was just a total mess. The lead actor is so incredibly wooden, and emotionless, the only good thing going for him is his fantastic dance moves (maybe stick to that from now on). Will Smith is good but forgettable. I totally get that he was trying to make it his own but I'm sorry nothing can out do Robin Williams, and unfortunately that's what this film would have needed to make it great, someone even better than the original. The actor that plays Jafar is next. AWFUL, not menacing enough and it makes for a very lack-lustre performance. Naomi Scott on the other hand was absolutely brilliant as Jasmine. Her voice when she sings Speechless gave me goosebumps. She is the only reason that I gave 2 stars instead of 1. Maybe Disney needs to stop the live action now, I'm really dreading The Lion King and Mulan now as they're both 2 more favourites. Fingers crossed.
  • thebest-2077423 June 2019
    Nope
    No way. Never shoulda remade it. It's like a broadway show.
  • Firstly, the influx of reviews 7+ is strange, do not believe them, they have never watched the first aladdin or are on the Disney payroll, most likely the latter.

Guy Ritchie is a brilliant director, however I feel his last few movies have a generic feel, lacking the creativity and a brutish edge that his films have shown in the past.

The three kids all varying ages did not enjoy it, a re release of the original in the cinema would have been better and I would have been happier spending money on that.

DO NOT WASTE YOUR TINE WITH THIS REMAKE
  • With the exception of Will Smith whom I have always liked as an actor, this movie and the CGI will never compare to the original with Robin Williams. I am soooo tired of Hollywood remaking movies to make more money in the inner circle. nothing creative anymore. It's simply about making money$$$$. Its just regurgitation. Hollywood is no longer creative, with some small exceptions, and is clearly in the business of remaking movies over and over again.
  • Disappointing, please stop missing with our childhood memories! The only good scene is Prince Ali entrance with his cortege during Genne song. Everything else is crap. Someone from the advisors should told you that you guys missed with many cultures and mixed things up with no sense. Next time you plan to make a movie with traditions or history, read a book!
    It starts slowly , Becomes enjoyable to watch but no where near as good as the original animation And ends so bad it ruins the whole movie.

Here are the exact things wrong with the movie

1. Jaffar actor didn't even look the part and Ben Kingsley could have been a far better choice 2. Princess Jasmin was terrible 3. Original songs are added that neither match the theme or the flow of the story 4. Dances were in style of Bollywood and break dancing or 18th century royalty where middle East has many styles of dance they could have used to stay authentic 5. The cgi was mediocre specially for when genie was in it's true blue form 6. The worst part of it all the song that was played when the cast was shown had to be from dj Khaled and he had to scream his name. This is alladin not a rap video , not a dj Khaled music video , not hip hop or anything close to it. It was suppose to be a work of Disney
    This was one of my favorites. And Will Smith was just plain boring. I know topping the late Robbin Williams is a tough one but Smith is such a character he could have made it his own. He is not relatable, nor do you have that beautiful chemistry as they become friends. Jafar is not colorful in the evil way he should have been. Even Jasmine is missing her spunky spark. Aladdin was also missing his transformation from street rat to hero. The ending was missing the drama and the way everyone ending up together was just so cheesy. It missed its charm. And completely left you wondering what the heck did we just watch?? Oh Disney why mess with a good thing? I truly wish I didn't see it. It ruined the wonderful story and music the cartoon had. Such a shame!
  • Embarrassing to the original should have taken more time and not adding new songs because the actors can't act or sing that well to begin with.