User Reviews (716)

• In 2008, Italian director Paolo Sorrentino made a film about a, then, still living sinister political figure Giuliano Andreotti. The ferociousness of the portrait was acceptable to the public at large because it was presented as a stylish, slightly surreal comedy. Adam McKay sets VICE in a more realistic universe but the results are just as pungent, disturbing and funny. Christian Bale is spookily perfect. And Amy Adams is a modern day Lady Macbeth of major proportions. The most unsettling part of the whole experience, because Vice is an experience, is the knowledge that this are the people chosen by the people. The fact that countries have the governments they deserve gives me a chill in 2018. A remarkable film with remarkable performances. Bravo.
  • This is one of the best films I've seen this year & left the theatre with the same feelings toward the political system as I did after BlacKkKlansmen (2018) & Sorry To Bother You (2018). A pseudo-documentary/dramedy biopic that tells the story of Cheney's political career while skewering the Republican Party & Washington DC politics in general, from the Nixon administration to today. It brings to light how politicians will sell-out everything in the pursuit for power, just how much sway one person can hold in politics, how media was forever changed under the Bush administration, & how all of this is still effecting us today. It's a film that has as many laughs as it does moments of bitter truth, many of them bleeding into each other. Again putting his body through a drastic change for a role, Christian Bale is absolutely incredible as Dick Cheney with his mannerism & glare down perfectly. I'm just as impressed with Amy Adams, Steve Carell, & Sam Rockwell. The editing is fantastic & the narrator was an interesting touch, especially once it's revealed who he is in relation to Cheney. And the mid-credits scene perfectly expresses what the reactions to this film will be.
  • As Adam McKay's follow-up to The Big Short (one of my favorite films of 2015) he is back with another dark satirical comedy.

Just like in The Big Short, the amount of information McKay throws at you is a little overwhelming, especially if you don't fully understand it. It is a little slower paced of a movie, but the way he frames every scene has such gusto that you can't take your eyes off the screen.

Other than the brilliant script the main thing to note in this movie is the perfect casting. Christian Bale and Amy Adams teaming up again, this time as Dick and Lynne Cheney further prove they should team up in every movie together. Christian Bale is so believable as Dick Cheney that you suddenly forget that you are even watching Bale at all. Then you have Steve Carell as Donald Rumsfeld, Sam Rockwell as George W. Bush, Tyler Perry as Colin Powell, Naomi Watts, Lily Rabe, Jesse Plemons (in a role that I did NOT see coming), and plenty more.

There is a fantastic scene between Lynne and Dick where Plemons' character narrating notes - that we wouldn't know what they actually would have said in this certain moment, but he images it would be something quite Shakespearian. Then Lynne and Dick start talking like they are in Macbeth. Their chemistry is just fantastic and you get to see how much Lynne stepped up, and her ambitions and reservations with going into this political world.

As much as this movie paints Cheney as a villain, McKay still gave him depth and compassionate moments, and showing all of his health troubles. You really see how this man became the most powerful VP that we have ever had in the history of the U.S. Presidency and how scary that is because it is all true. We have lived it.

This movie is definitely not for everyone but I really enjoyed it. There is a funny after credits scene that shows how divided our country is, and the quote above is exactly what you should be asking yourself at the end of the movie. So, what do we believe?
  • It puts "Hereditary" to shame. However, I disagree with critics' assertions that director McKay set out to make Cheney seem like a complete monster. He often humanized him, and there were a couple of moments when a few of the members of my audience got somewhat emotional. If you had asked them before the movie if they were going to shed a tear while they watched it, they probably would have replied, "HELL NO." Also, whereas I would state firmly that there was ZERO link to anything that involved 9/11 and Iraq, McKay provides a very tenuous, dubious possible link to him-- which later completely boomerangs into Cheney's face.

To put it bluntly, it was the worst administration of all time, and as the film states early, I think that many Americans have either forgotten it or never really paid attention to it completely. When Democrats describe their worst fears of possible Trump disasters, I don't think that they know that they are describing things that *actually occurred* during the first decade of this century. When Bale as Cheney looks directly into the camera and delivers a monologue-- or postmortem-- about his tenure as vice president, it might remind you of Emperor Palpatine's rationalizations in the Star Wars prequels. As the film shows, at the time there were justifications for unitary executive privilege that were written by a single moron and apparently regarded as gospel-- and can be used as precedent by future presidents. And I probably don't need to remind you about the most unjustified, wasteful, moronic and disastrous war in American history, which he strongly advocated and for which the entire world is continuing to pay a heavy toll. This film is actually important.

Finally, Bale is my choice for best lead actor of 2018. It was a tour de force performance.

If this film has any slight problems for me, I didn't like some of its artistic license. Sometimes I wanted it to be more straightforward. But it's a must watch.
  • Christian Bale delivers a remarkable performance worthy of the hype and the Oscar (sadly, he did not win). The acting is great across the board. Rockwell might be the second best in film, while Steve Carell and Amy Adams were similarly excellent.

Director Adam McKay holds this movie back from being great. He lays on the metaphors with the thickness of grandma's lasagna. And much like when eating the lasagna, a little goes a long way. Unfortunately, McKay feeds us an unneeded second helping. And a third.

That's not to say Mckay did a terrible job directing this movie. He didn't. Most of the film has a strong, resonant message wrapped in an entertaining and hilarious packaging. Much like in "The Big Short," McKay cleverly communicates complicated material in a way that's easy for any viewer to understand. And this is all accomplished without being condescending, except for when it is.

McKay doesn't put enough trust in viewers to comprehend what he's saying. The cutaways to literal representations of hunting and fishing feel a bit insulting and clunky. They're unnecessary. Christian Bale is masterful chef. Just keep the camera on him and let him cook.

For the most part, the movie is thoroughly enjoyable, largely because of the way it sheds light on the ridiculousness of the events unfolding. It's a funny movie at times because it's so appalling. Other times it's too appalling to be funny.

Critics may point out that the story is not a bi-partisan take. To be clear: it's not and it's not trying to be. McKay is disgusted by what Dick Cheney and other political figures did, and he makes his feelings painfully clear. This approach leads to some of the movie's most fascinating moments but also led to its partial undoing. If McKay had just been willing to trust that moviegoers would understand his message if presented it with a touch more subtlety (they would have) this would be a smarter and more ultimately more widely praised film.
  • This film is held together by some truly outstanding performances (Bale and Adams, in particular). It will no doubt be compared to writer/director Adam McKay's film adaptation of The Big Short. But while that story covered just a couple years, Vice spans nearly 4 decades, significantly more difficult to fit into a 2 hour film.

McKay's use of a narrating character is sometimes helpful in providing context and continuity, though I think it worked better in The Big Short.

As a bio-pic, Vice does a good job of capturing Cheney's drive for power and his devotion to his family. Complicated people are generally difficult to depict in film, but McKay and the team he assembled gave it an effort worthy of some awards.

I found some of the editing a bit quirky to the point of distraction, but I definitely recommend seeing it. Be sure and stay to the end.
  • I was able to see this at an advanced screening. What got me excited to go see Vice, along with the stellar trailer, was Adam McKay's involvement as the writer/director. His work on the Big Short was amazing and he's shown a lot of growth as a filmmaker. This was a big subject and with his ability to explain complicated issues, I was sure I was in for something memorable. I left the theatre impressed with the fact that he was able to replicate his style in Vice. He has the unique explanations and jokes down pat and while I wanted even more, the movie kept me entertained throughout with lots of laughs and some gripping drama.

With McKay being a famous democrat supporter, do you think he was a big fan of Dick Cheney (played here by Christian Bale)? The movie is definitely of the mind that he's a manipulative force that cares little for humanitarian solutions to terrible problems throughout the world as opposed to a patriotic visionary. But despite that, I was shocked that the movie tried to give Cheney some humanity through his interactions with his daughter Mary (Alison Pill). He also has a couple of tender moments with his wife Lynne (Amy Adams). I read interviews that McKay did where the question was if his movie about Cheney would be poorly received by both sides of the American political aisle. Is it too harsh for conservatives but too light for liberals? I think this is accurate, Cheney is sculpted throughout the movie he starts out as a dolt but slowly grows into his role and develops fangs of his own. It may be too middle ground for some, but I thought they played it almost right. Cheney's ending monologue shows how he really feels about his legacy (its right out of the House of Cards playbook and it was the best moment of the movie for me) but I'll credit McKay for holding back a little bit as opposed to going for the jugular.

If the subject matter doesn't immediately catch your eye, maybe the star-studded cast will. Christian Bale stars as our protagonist Dick Cheney, he's a total chameleon and I honestly forgot I was watching someone performing as Dick Cheney. The awards and accolades he's going to get for this are well deserved. The supporting cast are equally up to the task, Amy Adams does a wonderful job as Lynne. She's a veteran and she is owed just as much credit as her male co-stars for taking what could be a forgettable part and doing a lot with it. I thought Sam Rockwell did a more understated job as George W. Bush than I expected. He plays up Bush's confusion and ignorance, but his portrayal isn't as malicious, and I think he was great. Steve Carell has turned into an elite dramatic actor, he gets the job done here, I think he has the least amount of meat to his part but he's solid. There were lots of recognizable faces in cameo and brief supporting parts, some of my favourites were Jesse Plemons, Alfred Molina, Tyler Perry, Alison Pill, Naomi Watts and Don McManus.

I'm happy to keep showering this movie with praise but I also didn't completely fall in love with it. The first third to half of the movie can drag, it contains a lot of pertinent information about Dick and Lynne Cheney and while there are moments, there were stretches where I was waiting for it to pick up the pace. Vice has the wild sense of style that I wanted from it, with the cutaways for jokes and visual representations and they brought the laughs. I just wanted more of that in Vice. The trailer for this movie portrays Vice as a straight comedy, this movie also packs a lot of drama (its more dramatic than McKay's previous work the Big Short) and its deeply affecting. But while there are some small concessions to the Cheney family (more than I expected them to) the direction of the slant on Cheney's story is decidedly one way. I went to this advance screening with a conservative friend and it wasn't his cup of tea.

I love the direction that McKay's work is going, I still prefer the Big Short to Vice because it was more comedy than drama and it was such a fresh take on a complicated subject. While he also does a decent job of explaining the intricacies of Cheney's backroom dealings, he never loses sight of the point he's trying to make. Cheney's reign as VP led not only the USA but the free world in the direction we now find ourselves currently sitting in. This is another movie that knows who their audience is and disregards the rest, if you're conservative or a republican voter, don't expect different than what you see in the trailer. This isn't a heroic tale of Cheney, his family or his colleagues and while I was surprised that they gave Cheney some humanity, he's the villain of the piece for sure. I really enjoyed this but I'm firmly at an 8.5/10 and I must round up to a 9/10. If you're in the target demographic for the movie, are interested in seeing a funny but informative look about the George W. Bush administration or want to see what should be a big contender come awards season, Vice is definitely worth showing up to the theatre to see.
  • The acting was amazing. I'll give you that. The contents made me feel uncomfortable with how liberally slanted it was, and I'm a liberal.
  • After I first saw the trailer for this film, I wasn't expecting such a funny, yet unsettling film. Christian Bale plays Dick Cheney, an intelligent man whose thirst for power sees him become the most influential American Vice-President ever. Bale's performance is commendable, but Vice's supporting cast - consisting of Amy Adams, Steve Carell and Sam Rockwell - complete the movie. Writer and Director Adam McKay brought this true story of power (and it's abuse) and politics to life with his unique perspective, and the skilled editing makes this film all the more enjoyable. In my opinion, Vice is a must-see film of 2018. 9/10
  • I was really looking forward to this movie for a long time and for a variety of reasons, despite my aversion to Dick Cheney and his policies. I love the cast as well as satire/dark humor, and loved "The Big Short" (which I saw in theaters in 2015 and rated a 9 out of 10.) A dark satire about an unpopular and infamous vice president was always going to be a difficult task to pull off, but I was not expecting anything near the startling failure that this film turned out to be. I genuinely can't believe that this film turned out to be such a mess.

First and foremost, the editing in the film is simply horrendous. I understand that McKay wanted to do this film in an unconventional style, which I normally would support given that the conventional tropes of the biopic genre have grown stale and old. However, the film's juxtaposition of quick cuts is too jarring for even the most seasoned viewers to keep straight. Sometimes the use of quick cuts is necessary (i.e. war footage,) but other times it is questionable (repeated analogous or symbolic references) or completely ridiculous. The film's perceived self-awareness is all over the place, trying to make itself seem more comedic and dumbed down at times, as if the viewer needed to be punished, and its often-bizarre narration is just silly. The acting tends to weirdly alternate between being overdone and undercooked--which is truly puzzling given the film's outstanding cast.

Also, McKay failed to understand this time how to deliver stark political commentary without seeming schlocky or over-the-top (a la Michael Moore and Oliver Stone.) Speaking of Moore and Stone, the film is essentially a love child of both of their filmographies--and that's not always a good thing. The reason is because the film seems to not always be concerned with proper presentation of facts. I'm a lifelong Democrat and no fan of Cheney myself, and while much of the film is likely accurate, some of it probably is not (which the film seems to inadvertently acknowledge as it commences) or presented misleadingly. The bizarre editing also causes grave damage to the possibility that more viewers will see the film as credible. And while the film will certainly infuriate liberals, it not only offers no commentary on solutions on how to best move on from Cheney's (and now Trump's) worldview--it explicitly feels solely like preaching to the choir from beginning to end. While McKay rightly criticizes Fox News in the film for its use of schlocky, highly biased and opinionated information, he fails to understand that sometimes his film feels like a liberal version of a Fox News broadcast rather than a more thorough and potent critique of Cheney. After the outstanding "The Big Short," I'm truly puzzled that this film turned out this bad. 3/10
  • I can't say anything that's already been said. Christian Bale is phenomenal as always, continuing to prove that he may be the best actor working today (props for not using a fat suit GARY OLDMAN). Adam McKay thinks we are all idiots and thinks he's a genius. I think this type of humor and edge paid off in The Big Short but it felt wrong in a film that emphasized Cheney's influence on the deaths of thousands of innocent people. The post credit scene has gotta be the worst one in history, it's not funny and it made it even clearer that McKay thinks so lowly of his audience. Christian Bale, Amy Adams, Steve Carrell, Sam Rockwell, Naomi Watts(!) how do you assemble such an outstanding crew of actors and fail to blow away your audience?
  • I lean so far left that I struggle to stand upright and maintain an open mind. But a bad movie is a bad movie, I don't care which side of history it is on.

VICE is an uneven and dishonest mess, a real disappointment from director Adam McKay, who did such a fine job with THE BIG SHORT.

Other reviewers-- amateur and professional-- have raked VICE's many flaws over the coals. I'll reduce my complaint to one glaring omission which brings into focus how tendentious this movie is:

We are shown the NYTimes editorial by Joseph Wilson that angered the White House into retaliating: someone (the movie blames Cheney, which is plausible) leaks the fact that Wilson's wife, Valerie Plame, is a CIA agent, blowing her cover.

The Times may have been innocent in "Plamegate," but it, and nearly all of mainstream media, has blood on its hands for having supported the Administration's blatantly false claims that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction. Cheney alone isn't responsible for the invasion of Iraq-- far from it-- yet that is what McKay very clearly implies, leaving the media off the hook.We shouldn't forgive the media, or McKay for giving the Times a pass.

On the upside, Christian Bale's performance is as close to a perfect imitation as I can imagine, and Sam Rockwell brings expert comic subtlety to his portrayal of Bush II.
  • The acting in the movie is very good, entertaining throughout and well directed. This film is only low rated because of the political remarks it makes. It gives a scary and accurate depiction of the Iraq war, and for many individuals- especially those who lean politically right- this depiction is harsh. But this is genuinely not the case. In a political situation as dire and controversial as the one we are currently in, it is hard for people to be confronted with hard and scary realities. This movie does such, but go in with an open mind and you may get something out of it.
  • Finally something else than boring, clich√© , uninspired & simply awful superhero movies full of people in masks punching each other & cheesy jokes (the only exception in the genre is of course Dark Knight Trilogy, simply a masterpiece, all 3 movies).

''Vice'' is an artistic, very unconventional take on the times of Dick Cheney & Bush Junior and it will not be for everyone, but then again, whoever saw Big Short should expect unexpected. For me, this film is crossing the next boundaries in the cinema, a work that provokes deep reflection and I like it very much.

That said, ''Vice'' has it's flaws. I would like to see a more linear narrative, because Bale gives a truly masterful performance here (Adams also) and I can only imagine what a masterpiece it could have been, if it was more classic perspective.

But as for acting performances - my God, Bale is simply the most brilliant actor of his generation, period. Let me explain. Mannerism, occasional pauses when speaking, corners of his lips falling to one side, a completely different American accent than Bale usually uses and he nailed it and remember he is an Englishman! Also, Bale's natural voice is waaay deeper. Even the way he is holding his neck !! (producers talked in the interviews how they bought special machine for Bale, he used it to help him hold his neck just like Cheney). But this is not even the most important thing. The most important piece of this role, is mental structure and psychology, behind every gesture and gaze (McKay talks abt it in the interviews, go watch it) as it should be, this is not just an impersonation. Bale is powerful and terrifying figure, a man who once had rules, but starts to walk on corpses and on the other hand, he is still very human, he is a great father and an incredibly romantic husband. Bale showed it all with his acting and still watered it all with absurdity. If you still don't get it, go watch ''Actors on Actors'' series of interviews, with Tom Hanks and Viola Davis, this particular one. In this interview, Hanks and Davis - two brilliant actors with a lot of experience for sure - explain very well, that the real acting brilliance is when you could have better director or better script, yet still, by your acting alone, you make a role so good, and in this case, it's documentary-like, like you are watching real Cheney.

They claim, that the most genius actors are those, who still shine & are the best thing even in a bad/not so great movies. And as a film school graduate, who already works a little in the industry, I can confirm, this is so true! Because filmmaking, even more than other fields, is a team effort and great director&screenwriter always helps an actor to achieve greatness in a given role, it is natural that good material in the screenplay / good director strengthens the actor's good sides and helps him to hide his weaknesses. McKay is on his way to be fascinating director, but he still struggles with storytelling, he is no Spielberg or Scorsese, yet Bale, even in movies with flaws, is simply wonderful, each time (he had few cases like this in his career, for example Harsh Times - its a flawed, not the best movie, yet Bale plays a veteran, street rudeboy/gangster type character ridiculously good).

And this is exactly why, for me Bale is way above Di Caprio and always will be. Di Caprio has been hiding behind the genius of great directors, mainly Scorsese, since forever. From the beginning of his career, he took mainly projects of great directors (Cameron, Tarantino if he takes a break from Scorsese), he sits in a comfortable mainstream and doesn't challenge himself as an actor at all, doesn't go beyond a certain framework.

Meanwhile, Bale, often chooses unobvious projects, "dodgy" as he himself put it, he said : '' I always like that. Whenever there's a project where everyone's going : Oooooh, it's a bit dodgy, I always like it. If you actually look at it, there tends not to be anything risky at all. Why did I start acting in the first place? I didn't do it to be mediocre or to please everybody all the time.'' - I find it one of the greatest quotes about acting. Bale challenges himself all the time, like when he made Flowers of War, again, most big A-list actors sit in their comfort zone - mainstream, big, Oscar - productions, where everything is given to them on a silver platter. Christian did the Flowers of War movie, even if he didn't speak any Chinese and the whole crew on the set didn't speak any English, there was only 1 translator - this is real challenge for an actor. Another example is American Psycho - when Leo was afraid of public lynching if he played someone as disgusting as Bateman, and that's why, apparently, he gave up this role. Besides, the original director (Mary) and the writer of the book (Ellis) always wanted Bale not Leo, only the studio wanted Leo, because he was so popular at that time (well, the director&the writer were right). Bale turned out to be insanely good in this twisted, dark comedy, he was not only creepy, but funny as hell, I have yet to see Di Caprio playing a true dark comedy and being great at it (because Wolf is not it, not real satire/dark comedy, and anyone who knows writing/filmmaking knows comedy is the most difficult genre, especially dark comedy).

Again, I work in the movie business & I have been saying for a long time that Bale's acting is so subtle and at the same time so unusual in various films, depending on the role - sometimes very physical, sometimes more mental, but always, I would always call it ''intellectual acting'', because everything in his roles is brilliantly thought out. And that's why this is not acting for most average viewers, but for true connoisseurs of cinema art, a rare group. For example a well-known film critic Mark Harris, New York film critic, brilliantly described what Bale actually was doing in ''Vice'', he wrote : ''My VICE take for today: Christian Bale knows more than almost any actor about how to use elaborate makeup, padding, etc as a tool for acting rather than as a crutch that replaces it. IMHO it's a great performance with a deep and unusual interest in how Cheney lives in his body.''. Spot-on !! But to know that, you have to be a very good observer.

So overall, ''Vice'' is worth it just because of Bale's performance and I hope he will win an Oscar, becuase Cooper's overrated, bland and very much in the background role ain't anything special.

The second reason to see ''Vice'' is of course Amy Adams, she is also simply amazing. Lady Macbeth - like, infernal intelligence and fierceness, and at the same time a great love for a man, for whom, she sacrificed entirely her ambitions. I also hope this is not the last time we see Bale&Adams together, coz they have great chemistry and understanding on screen. It is already their thrid cooperation (after The Fighter, American Hustle) and they both simply outstanding.

In conclusion, I'm a little bit mad at Adam Mackay, because he as director and screenwriter could have done better job, but I give the movie a 9, because of a brilliance of Bale & Adams. Go watch it yourself !
  • With Big Short, director McKay made a film about the 2008 financial bubble collapse that's somehow both fascinatingly informative and propulsively entertaining. So how did he, with Dick Cheney biopic Vice, make a movie about a mysterious and ruthless American tyrant so dull and unenlightening? Flaunting many of the bursts of randomness we've come to expect in his satirical outings, at one point he has his characters speak in Shakespeare-like prose, unintentionally recalling the Bard's old adage, "...full of sound and fury, Signifying nothing." That is Vice, one of the most pretentious and obnoxious films in years. A "comedic" expose on the life and career of Bush Jr.'s VP Dick Cheney, it's not so much a story as a chaotic collection of random moments. It doesn't work as either an empathetic vision of a complex man (i.e. Oliver Stone's W.), or as a take down of an evil tyrant (i.e. Martin Scorsese's The Wolf of Wall Street), though it tries for both at different points. It doesn't work as a revelation, as most anything it has to say is well-known or easily researched with a quick Google trip. It doesn't work cinematically, parading around busyness as style. It doesn't work comedically, unless it's ripping off Big Short. And it doesn't work as a display of acting feats, everyone doing SNL-esque impressions in lieu of character work. McKay seems to be turning into a narrative-focused version of Michael Moore, only without the conviction. Vice is the worst form of political choir-preaching: an infuriating amount of false equivalencies and self-righteous propaganda that only serves to rile up both sides of aisle, offering little except, "Conservatism bad; liberal good." Regardless of your politics, you deserve better than that.
  • florin_min25 December 2018
    Vice
    Do not blame Republicans or Democrats. It is about power and only power. How movie has been made, oh my Lord! AMAZING! The story is brilliant, the actors- Oscar group winners, director- highest level. Enjoy the movie and don't be partisan.
  • ModishMovies28 December 2018
    Whether it's entirely fact-based or not, I can't deny how engrossed I was by its unique and interesting style. The film starts out very strong and compelling, but the screenplay is bit choppy and doesn't stick the landing. While some events are brushed over, others are brilliant and enjoyable enough to make the film an overall worthwhile experience. The performances are truly great and Christian Bale is an absolute powerhouse with such a commanding presence. This is a film with purpose, no matter how unsubtle of a gut-punch it may intend to deliver.
  • Such a disappointment! So looking forward to this release, but while Christian Bale does a great job, the rest of the movie is A MESS!! Totally disjointed editing and uninspired narration has produced a sophomoric production that disappoints on multiple levels. The timeline jumps all over the place and is punctuated by inane commentary and black and white captions that try to "teach" the audience - just in case the message didn't hit you in the face. I'm middle-of-the-road politically, but even I was embarrassed by the blatant attempt that the movie made to express its political opinion. Yes, he loves his wife and children, and otherwise is portrayed as having no other redeeming qualities, but certainly a biopic can go a little further than that in portraying what is clearly a complex and conflicted character. High school productions have more depth and sophistication than this shallow rendition of a biographical portrayal. SAD!!!
  • First, this is not a comedy, no matter how hard it tried to be. There were a few moments where I though "that was kind of funny" but I didn't even crack a smile once, and I didn't hear a single laugh from the crowd in the theater. Overall, the movie should have stuck to a single time period. It glosses over some interesting stuff, but it never goes in depth enough to make it interesting. It was so well acted, and they set up a lot of potentially interesting plot threads that never panned out or went anywhere, so there was no real depth or emotion to any of the events depicted. The whole movie was directionless and I felt like I was watching a clip show rather than a story where there were stakes and consequences for the characters involved. The bit with the narrator was really interesting but the movie didn't build up to it enough, so it seemed like just another random event, rather than the merging of two plot threads.
  • Mrbigham135 January 2019
    This is an excellent blend of talent and story telling. So many aspects of this film really intrigue the audience. From the acting to narroration and beyond. Anybody who doesn't really care for politics would probably be blown away by it. Those that do find politics interesting would laugh out loud. Christian Bale's execution is flawless and McKay's direction style leaves plenty of juicy humor to bubble over the pivotal plot points. All in all you're getting a very interesting possibly very true account of one of America's most secretive and powerful Vice Presidents. Now stop reading this and go see it.
  • More of a character study than a documentary. Brilliant performances. You can't argue with facts. They're honest about what's fiction. Loved the ending. Society is a mess!
  • simic-5430924 February 2019
    I saw "the big short" and really liked it. However, that movie was based on a very entertaining book and the odds to make a decent movie out of it were already in the favor of the makers. I liked the trailer of Vice and went to the cinema yesterday. Some good acting performances, but the movie itself just sucked. In the break, we thought about leaving but sometimes, the second half changes the picture. Not for this one. To summarize, Republicans are solar-panel-destroying idiots, FOX news is nazi propaganda and ...that's about it. If you believe that all Americans are idiots or (if you are an American) that half of the country are deplorables, it's your happy time for 2 hours. Otherwise, save your time and money.
  • This film will be debated for years to come and be remembered for bale knocking it out of the park again. Love or hate there is no denying was a bargain at the box office.
  • The acting was amazing. It was reflective given the current political environment in the US. It was known alot of this was going on, at the time. But to see it on screen makes you pause.
  • Engaging Look at a Controversial Politician

Dick Cheney is such a controversial politician and he has been linked to some of the most controversial political events of at least the last twenty years, it is probably impossible to make a movie that will satisfy every political persuasion. For this reason the movie should be judged on its own movie-making techniques. In this respect Vice deserves a "Five-Star" rating. This is movie watching at its best.

McKay has employed some inventive movie-making to produce a fine film. There are certainly a lot of flash-backs and flash-forwards employed to explain the events in Cheney's life. But he has made effective use in breaking the Fourth Wall between the audience and the movie characters. There are several on-going dialogues happening in this film, most of which are from Cheney himself. He allows the inner-most thoughts of these characters determine the depiction of the action in the film, so sometimes you, the viewer, are not immediately sure what is really doing on in the scene. Highly inventive directing and a smart script.

The main actors have most of all captured the essence of the character they are playing. Sam Rockwell as President George W. Bush, Amy Adams as Liz Cheney, Steve Carell as Donald Rumsfeld, and of course, Christian Bale as Dick Cheney, have all morphed into their characters, so much so it is ungodly.

The movie is described as a mock-documentary. While it certainly has elements of a documentary or mock-documentary, it is mostly a character study of Cheney and the people around him. McKay's movie will do this: It will move back and forth between documentary, mock-documentary character study and straight narrative and back again to try to unlock the mind, as much as humanly possible, the mind of Dick Cheney.

The movie dramatically illustrates there will never be any political agreement on the legacy of Dick Cheney. The subtext of this movie is that in Dick Cheney's political world there is no Liberal or Conservative, but simply the Exercise of Power. If anything, the skilled movie making of McKay has added to the ambiguity of that legacy, and to the oblique, elusive, and ill-defined nature of Dick Cheney's character.