typical Bollywood cliché.guy falls in love after dancing once with her in a marriage.proposes her next day.girl clearly states she is not interested.like any sensible guy he follows her till she says yes.girl runs away from alter.guy again goes after her and again follows her.off course there is DJ song and montage of Singapore because that's very imp part of story. guy comes back drinks some alcohol, fights with his dad that he is too much control freak and voilà now girl is back and in love. so original, so mesmerizing.
    I am giving this a 4 for the 1st half. Both Aliya and Varun were good and funny. I loved their expressions. Till the marriage scene the movie was light and entertaining. After that..... the movie went downhill. why why why. I have no idea what writer was trying to convey in 2nd half. The message of the movie was good, but a failed delivery. I really wish that Aliya character would have married him. And then living there she could have made her point. How is running away makes her a good girl. In my opinion such people are evil. If she is so strong and wants to live life her way, then why spend so much money on a wedding and humiliate two families. In my opinion she's lost and confused.

watch the 1st half for some laughs and then STOP.
  • niaz_islam16 June 2017
    It was definitely a well balanced film which consists the right amount of romance, comedy, human emotion, drama and reality of the society.

Unlike other films it does not sugarcoat the fact of existing dowry system of the society and frankly showed the general emotion about it in the mind contemporary youth.

The story was well crafted and had a balanced combination of everything. The first half was full of fun and entertainment, and the second half was allocated for the complex emotional part; which made the film all the more enjoyable.

The casting was also superb. It is always a breath of fresh air to watch age appropriate actor and actress perform together, rather than the odd pair of old actor and young actress. So it was great to see Alia Bhatt and Varun Dhawan together again. They both matured a lot in acing and their on screen chemistry was phenomenal. They both looked fabulous throughout the film. And the tracks of the films are quite good also.

I really enjoyed the film. You should also watch the film and it is safe to say that you will also like the film and the characters of the film.

RECOMMENDED.
  • Let me give you all the reasons why this movie is what our country needs:

1) It targets how parents manipulate children with their health when it works to their convenience. 2) It shows how some children have to sacrifice their love to please their blind parents. 3) It rejects dowry. 4) It shows how we must oppose superstitions, and stand up for what is right. 5) It shows how talented women are, and how far women can go when given a chance. 6) It shows that a 10th pass man can change, and reason, so why can well educated people? 7) It shows that authoritative male figures must be questioned. Because age cannot give anyone a license to do wrong. 8) Varun proudly says Jhansi was not named after the great things done by a Raja, but by a Rani -Rani Jhansi. 9) Sure there are scenes of stalking, but he accepts that he was wrong. And the bigger message is of CHANGE! 10) This movie is one of the best movies of 2017. Anyone capable of reasoning and thinking, will look beyond and see the larger message.

We are all intelligent beings. Sometimes we make mistakes. But what important is our ability to CHANGE.

Anyone who uses words like misogynist, anti feminist, regressive to describe this movie, needs the latest dictionary, because clearly the definitions they believe are skewed.
  • Director and writer Mr. Shashank Khaitan is first rate as a director but was under pressure to make this movie 'Hat Ke'. First half is romantic comedy with very good addition of sub plots, like brother accepting arrange marriage even being in love with another girl. This plot is simple but used and developed in good way. Yes main female back story of not believing in love because she was cheated by a boy is lame. Then coming to a common point with male lead for fixing her elder sister marriage and then love blossoms between them is shown in entertaining way. Some scenes are quirky but very entertaining like offering marriage proposal while singer is singing Mata Ka Jagran, Goons attack the couple but rather than intension of molesting girl they target boy creates humor but a bit long. At interval point the reason is thrown to audience just for shock but it smashes female lead character. Her reasoning for her act was not justified in second half according to her action. Male lead father being very angry like normally girl father used to behave in that situation is also not going well with the characterization. It was just for length and drama sake. Interval point clearly shown that movie is going to slip badly from Director. Second half starts with typical melo-drama. A bit of scuffle, cute Police angle, then drunken scenes, then live in and all that. Movie becomes slow in second half even after high dose of drama. You neither laugh nor feel that much intensity and it also reflects some humor angle too. Camera work by Neha Parti Matiyani is just fantastic. Film looks so vibrant and beautiful. Performance wise film is also in two parts. First half is full of smooth and fine performances but second half offers unbalanced by same artists. Varun Dhawan as Badrinath is first rate. His accent, body language are just impeccable. Alia Bhatt is brilliant with her emotions and innocence. Yash Sinha as Badrinath's elder brother is balanced and swift with expressions. Sahil Vaid as his friend Somdev is endearing and smooth. Sweta Prasad as sister in law is fine. Actor, who played his father, looks weak when he should have carried typical negative look. Something wrong with his make up too especially beard. Climax comes with a cute message but again with full unnecessary drama.
  • Takethispunch19 March 2017
    Meh
    It is a light-hearted romantic film starring the amazing on-screen pair Varun Dhawan and Alia Bhatt. The film starts by showing the backdrop of Jhansi where Badrinath Bansal (Varun Dhawan) is living with a rich family consisting of his feudal father (Rituraj Singh), a silent mother, his obedient big brother, Alok Nath Bansal (Yash Sinha) and submissive bhabhi, Urmila (Shweta Basu Prasad). They are on a roll for him to get married with a girl who can give them a handsome dowry. His best friend Somdev (Sahil Vaid) has started a matrimonial business "Chutki Me Shaadi" and asks Badri to pose for the matrimonial photo shoot. Badri is a bit of a lout who has no clue what he wants to do with his life. He is a school dropout and gallivants aimlessly around town with bum chum Somdev Mishra, who, on his part, is seeking to get his fledgling matrimonial website going. At a friend's wedding Badri falls for the Kota-based fierce girl Vaidehi Trivedi (Alia Bhatt) at the first sight itself. But due to her heart-breaking past and a willingness to earn for herself, Vaidehi rejects Badrinath's proposal. Badri, with his charms tries to woo her by all means and convinces his family for the marriage. Also, Vaidehi wants her elder sister Kritika Trivedi (Sukhmani Lamba) to get married before her. So, Badri and Vaidehi begins the groom searching for Kritika and finds an apt match for her. But, lesser did Badri know what exactly is going on Vaidehi's mind. She speaks her mind when needed, but the social pressure is too much to cope with so she decides to opt out of her own wedding when she was supposed to take a decisive step. On their wedding day, she leaves her home and finally lands to Singapore to pursue her job as an air hostess. Badri's father gets furious with this horrific incidence and wants to teach a lesson to Vaidehi. He sends Badri to bring back Vaidehi and hang her to death in the middle of Jhansi. But when Badri meets her, he tries to know Vaidehi in a better way and wants her to move forward with her dream job in Singapore. She emerges as a confident woman who chooses respect over love. She doesn't mince her words and says it in as many words: That love is nothing without respect. Eventually, Badri learns that his father wants to do a ritual for Urmila bhabhi to deliver a "boy" child. Badri is completely against it and presents a real picture in front of his father. Finally, he succeeds in winning his father's heart and convinces to become "Vaidehi Ka Dulha" at his own terms. The movie ends with Badri narrating the latter part of his family's story where everyone lives happily ever after.
    You can call me culturally biased if you like, but I cringed all the way through this. I understand the positive message the director said he was trying to send, but this is not the way to do it.

How can you love someone who threatens to kill you and puts you in the boot of his car to take you back to India to kill you there? And the constant fighting...? I simply couldn't put all that out of my mind. And the weighing of a pregnant woman? This may be an old custom, but it certainly treats the woman like an object. And the idea that a woman can't make choices because her father is going to run her life....sorry, it just makes me sick. Just the portrayal of these idea--even it's to criticize them--was too much for me. Sorry.

Leaving that aside, there was no real plot, the first half was much better than the second half, and the "humorous" sidekick was just an annoying distraction. What plot there was was simply a repeat of hundreds of other Hindi films. Not a good effort.

On the other hand, Alia is radiant, and I look forward to seeing more of her.
  • Badrinath Ki Dulhania is the first Bollywood movie I went and watched at the Cinema's! It was definitely worth it.

A great movie, made me laugh, cry and think. I was looking forward to seeing this movie since watching Humpty Ki Sharma late last year. While Humpty is great in it's own way, Badrinath is more mature so expectations were definitely met.

The chemistry between Alia-Varun remain in tact and one of the core reasons for my purchasing the tickets. The script is fairly well written, the leads delivered the lines perfectly, the scenes, the long and close-up shots were done extremely well & at the right time. I especially liked the depth of anger and hurt displayed on Badrinath's face (you'll see it, red eyes and all), Varun is exceptional and camera works truly captured this using close-ups. Vaidehi's character, I didn't understand until towards the end, specifically, on the rooftop of a building in Singapore, Alia's delivery of one line, helped me to understand her character ... in turn, Badri's reaction is equally great. I was bouncing between who is right

The flaws that I saw in the movie, I think the timing of my favorite song 'humsafar' was wrong, it played too early ...for me, anyway, and Badri's father delivered very few lines and yet he had the most power over his family ..I think the actor that played Badri's father didn't do the best job - sorry! But very true!

I would definitely recommend this movie!! India is gorgeous, this movie shows that, also, loved that I heard 'samajhawan' music in one scene... best chemistry, Varun has a killer smile and Alia looked gorgeous- I think this is the most girly I have seen her! Can't wait for their next movie together.

Here's to the Vaidehis and Badrinaths of the world :)
  • Varun is phenomenal. Hats off hero. Amazing actor, from his various films. Great emotional scene performer as good as natural comedy. Very nice human being n down to earth. Keep it up. BDK. Varun at his best with comedy timing and dialogue delivery. Wowie; Alia has been as cute as her always. Both Varun and Alia have proved they can do movies to challenge their acting skills, highway, and not just movies like student of the year.

BDK proves their amazing comic timings, great chemistry. Perhaps, this is the cutest couple of Bollywood industry. It is a complete entertainment movie.

Well done team BDK. Hats off to very well written script and director for this amazing experience. KUDOS. KEEP IT UP.

THANKS FOR THIS WONDERFUL MOVIE.
  • sunilbunty15 March 2017
    First is half is having nothing "new" and I don't know what is happening in second half. The whole movie is made without any sense to show last 10 min dialogue from Varun dhawan that's it!!! Bollywood needs to grow up and stop ruining the career of such good actors. It seems movie is just made to in cash hard earned money of audience.
  • insankg16 March 2017
    First impression of movie created by media was very high. Critic rating of 3.5/5 is a factor Which attracting good number of audience to the silver screen. In contrary people are coming disappointed.

Apart from colorful sets there is very less things which can really give great experience and praise the movie.

I don't understand do we need to be so loud to give a small message to the society. Overall story of does not match with real life stories at all.
  • #BadrinathKiDulhania : After seeing the trailer, I felt that it's gonna be another Humpty Sharma type movie. But, Varun Dhawan's success ration made me to watch this movie on first day. So, here is its review!

Director Shashank Khaitan and Dharma Production have tried to make a simple-family oriented- love story with colorful costumes, sets and songs. And they have done it really well. Varun Dhawan and Alia Bhatt are fabulous together. We have seen their superb chemistry in Humpty Sharma. But, I'm amazed with the chemistry between Varun Dhawan and Sahil Vaid (his friend). Both have just rock the screen!

Story is moving on a fast paced track in first half. Interval will make you sad, as in that time the film would not be running. And you all will wait for the second half to start. As the first half is supremely fast, colorful, humorous, and full on with Varun Dhawan's Dhamaal. Second half is slightly slow paced, somehow it looses the grip. Though there are certain songs and 3 awesome funny moments, including Varun Dhawan with the baddies of Singapore. That's a LOL moment. Then the paced gears up after Tamma Tamma song. The conversation between Alia n Varun after that song is worth to watch. Writers have shown their maturity in that scene. Kudos. And again in the end, writers and actors like Varun and Alia nail it. Film ends with a happy-go-lucky song- The title track.

Alia Bhatt is as usual fantastic. I like Varun Dhawan since SOTY so I'll not say anything about him. He is as best as he can. Sahil Vaid is the JAAN of this movie. Without him, I don't think this film would become like this. For him only, I will watch this movie again and again whenever I'll get the chance. Both the fathers have done superb job with their oxygen cylinders especially Swanand Kirkire. Shweta Basu's comeback is appreciable. Aparshakti Khurrana and his song JMD will remain with you forever. Overall, a decent cast.

Songs are better than the previous part. There was only Samjhavan song, but it was a huge hit. A glimpse of that song is also here in the background in climax. Humsafar, Tamma Tamma, Title Track, Roke Na Ruke Naina- all songs are superb, let me download these amazing songs.

Direction and camera-work are fine. I have just one problem in second half where it starts to loose the grip. Otherwise, there are so many moments of fun and joy that the dull moments will hide behind them. Congratulations to the entire team for making one more film on Dulhaniya franchise, with a great love, passion and a social message, too. I like this movie more than the previous.

On the whole, Varun Dhawan will keep his success ratio alive with this movie. Go and watch this family film. A holy-entertainment on Holi days!
    No story line what so ever. Cliché characters. No chemistry between the lead pairs( they were trying too hard.) Terrible direction.

Utterly boring. Basically an eccentric but 'good at heart' guy meets a pretty and career oriented girl and "falls" for her butt hey, she says no(Surprise.!) And that's when he plays his "good at heart" card and tries to win her. Patriarchal society Is there too. And dowry is mentioned also. That's the story...Whole story. Worst I have seen this year.

Only good thing about the movie was decent acting by the leads.
  • The film starts with the Introduction of Varun's Family and his friend Somdev(Sahil) ,Alia's entry going to make you fall is love instantly. Before give my review ,I want to say that few community of people in India going to hate this and those who are criticizing the film are belong to that community only .

With the great dialogues and perfect acting of each and every actors the Film is truly a Gem for eyes. Along with the comic scenes & light dialogues the Film also shows the harsh reality of India & if you don't belong to that particular community we will really going to feel bad for the girls , "Girls= Libality & Boy= Assets" that statement will remain with you for long and really make you feel ashamed of that culture of India.

The film make you feel why those communities give birth to Girl child, girl is nothing for them just a reason for #hearthattack. A girl can't work the only belongs to Kitchen and a machine to Birth to male child. I must say Karan_jahor gave a slap to those community ,hats off to the director cum writer Shashank Khaitan ,he deserves a standing ovation.

Conclusion- Watch it for full entertainment and For Indian harsh reality .. . . ..
  • one of the most non-sense movie ever made. always felt diverted from the main story line (which obviously was not present). felt more like an advertisement of KOTA city and SILK AIR coaching institute. characters were vary off the theme and were just pushing around for screen space. poor direction and screenplay.
  • Vaidehi Ka Dulha should've been the title of the movie. Badri mutters the same at a crucial moment in the story since finding the dulhania wasn't difficult but becoming her dulha is an arduous task. 'Badrinath Ki Dulhania' is a lively and wildly entertaining film that keeps the feel of the series alive. This time, Humpty has become Badri; Kavya is now Vaidehi; and the strict father has turned into a misogynist. Writer and Director Shashank Khaitan, who brought us the lovable 'Humpty Sharma Ki Dulhania', continues the franchise with a story that, under all the glitter, has a solid message relevant to our times. Of course the good intentions are wrapped in shine and brimming with melodious songs with stars whose chemistry crackles.

Badri aka Varun Dhawan first lays eyes on Vaidehi aka Alia Bhatt at a wedding and is instantly head over heels for the young lass. Vaidehi, on the other hand, not so much. The first half is a hilarious breeze as these characters are established as polar opposites. Badri is a glorified goon for his very rich and very regressive father who has little ambition to do anything other than get married. Our young heroine, however, dreams of flying. Literally. Both leads hail from small conservative towns but the burdens of their birth are only felt by the girl. Naturally. It's all fun and games until ideologies truly clash and respect has to be demanded and eventually earned.

The premise of the movie is formulaic. We have the usual hard headed father, the silent mother, the supportive but sad brother, and the always dependable best friend. What saves the movie from becoming a usual fare is the fiery execution. You will not be able to hold back your mirth as laugh out loud moments are aplenty. Take the bus scene, for example, where Badri is accused by fellow passengers of harassing the innocent Vaidehi and she quickly turns the tables leaving him in tears. It's a deliciously acted and directed sequence that will have you holding back tears of laughter. Many such moments smoothly bring us to the interval which then puts a bit of a spin on the tale. The plot post interval becomes a tad slow and redundant. The drama is pushed full throttle and you're left saying: yes, we get it. Fortunately, the pace picks up speed shortly there after and the movie goes out on a high.

What works wonders for the film is the acting. The leads share a chemistry that easily outshines everything and everyone else. Alia Bhatt is as charming as it gets in a role that she could've done in her sleep. She bats her eyelashes mercilessly and shows conflict well on her face even in moments of joy. This may come as a pleasant surprise but the real scene stealer here is Varun Dhawan. He smiles, weeps, dances, runs amok, and finds a way into your heart. Playing the lovable goof has become his forte and he knows it. Sahil Vaid as Badri's constant companion, Somdev, never fails to bring a smile to your face. The one complaint I have is that Badri's father could've been better cast. I missed Ashutosh Rana's glare tremendously from Humpty Sharma Ki Dulhania. Shashank Khaitan showed promise in his first film and he delivers yet again. His fresh and relevant writing brings many societal issues to the forefront in an enjoyable manner. To make sure the fun quotient doesn't decrease several trendy songs (with eye popping choreography) are infused into the narrative. If entertainment and laughter are what you seek, look no further. We could all use a little more color in our lives. It is Holi after all. And this film paints with every shade from the rainbow.
  • This is well made family entertainer. Story is good and there is social message. Comedy and romance are mixed very well. Both Varun and Alia impress with talent and are nice to watch. After a long time, this is a movie to the liking of my wife and her marks for this movie are 10/10. While other family members overall liked it with some reservation about second half. Your money will not be wasted if you want to pass time by watching this movie with family. Songs are good and are well choreographed. Story moves between Jhansi famous for Rani Lakshmibai a courageous woman. Supporting actors have done their role very well particularly that of side kick of our hero.
  • I do not know the expectations people had from this film when they rated it so low. I went to watch this movie expecting it to be a nice romantic comedy. The film explores a social evil in India that is dowry. Varun Dhawan makes you like the protagonist almost immediately. He gets the diction right and he looks the part. You start feeling for the sensitive Badri. Alia bhatt is fabulous in the emotional scenes. She can act. Sahil Vaid plays the hero's best friend to perfection. The music of the film is fantastic. The film entertains you and there are lots of moments where they touch your heart. Shashank Khaitan's Humpty Sharma was laughable but Badrinath ki Dulhaniya is a good attempt.
  • Now a days bollywood has become a joke Badrinath ki Dulhaniya is no exception. A man (Varun Dhawan) and a woman (Alia Bhatt) fall in love despite their opposing views on gender and life in general.Things are getting repetitive for both Varun and Alia. It is a tedious watch.When this year will end and hits and flops are taken into account this movie will be considered as one of the worst movie of 2017. Genre of the movie is romcom but will give you headache.Monumental disaster.Wish i could rate zero stars.
  • Humpty Sharma Ki Dulhania was a light film that has some good and bad moments. Technically, so for this film. I'd say trailer looked like it was edited the way Mohenjo Daro's trailer was edited which made it a bit underwhelming. But seeing Alia Bhatt improving, I still had to see this motion picture at the theaters.

So this movie evolves around a boy named Badrinath Bansal a.k.a Badri who is a slacker in search for a bride and is a Jhansi who lives under his father rules. His life turns around when he meets Vaidehi at a Rajasthani-style wedding. Vaidehi is a career oriented woman who is an air hostess. Badri's lack of education and flirtation annoys Vaidehi but later they develop feelings for each other and that is basically your movie.

Based on the mediocre trailer, I felt that this film was going to be disappointing but quite frankly it's pretty nice and light warming. I found this slightly better than Humpty Sharma Ki Dulhania

The acting was okay.

Alia Bhatt as usual was charming as always and her performance highlighted every possible aspect of love and prosperity.

Varun Dhawan does make me laugh sometimes but his comedic performance proved that he was just there and couldn't do much justice to the movie than I was expecting but he was good in some parts.

The logic fail with Rituraj Singh was that he looked too young to play the father of Badri.

The writing is decent I would say. The gripping romantic factors are as high as Shashank Khaitan's writing. The story was nice in the beginning which described the characters descriptively but heavily drops post-interval which makes the ending too dialoguebaazi in such ways.

There were too many vintage movie dialogues like the ones in 90s Govinda movies.

The music is whelming in my opinion. Tamma Tamma's remake was crass and had some good touches which made the song very melodious. The title song was also nice but the slow songs didn't stand out as much as these 2 other songs because that took up some time during the movie.

The directions looks very genuine as if Rohit Shetty was making this movie and not Shashank Khaitan. The camera angles were quite sloppy and the editing was a bit crisp and inconsistent which made the movie too unrealistic to watch at times..

Overall, I liked Badrinath Ki Dulhania with its decent performances, average writing, and light warming music but with horrible direction and less crisp editing. I would recommend this movie on a one-time watch quotient.

Enjoy your Friday with this movie if you're really craving an Alia Bhatt movie.

3.5/5- KJo on a great move with Dharma Productions
    Badrinath Ki Dulhania is a much cute love story where a simple light heart-ed guy Badri is set to find his soulmate in Alia Bhatt.On the other side,Alia a city girl tries to avoid him but in all can't stop herself to fall in love for Badri.The "sanki" Badri catches up to foreign to get Alia as his bride but its not all.. he has to fight the orthodox ideologies of his father there.The super-hit Sanjay Dutt-Madhuri Dixit song "Tamma Tamma" is rightly added to the movie to be known as "Tamma Tamma Again". Alia Bhatt has rightly portrayed her role in the movie.Also Varun Dhawan has exclusively acted as a simple U.P. lover....
  • Shashank Khaitan is here with the second installment of "Dulhaniya" franchise: "Badrinath Ki Dulhaniya"

So, what did we expect from the film? We expected a romantic comedy with several melodramatic moments, foot tapping music in beautiful locations with meticulous dance sequences, the charming chemistry between the lead actors and finally the bride goes with the groom.

We all know what are we going to see, it has everything mentioned above however, it delivers something new, it integrates social issues like dowry, objectification of women, equal rights with subtle humor. It successfully culminates a path for feminism in the most authentic way and delivers a good social message.

On the other hand, it is your usual romantic comedy set in Jhansi (Uttar Pradesh), Kota (Rajasthan) and Singapore. However, it fails to showcase the rural locales and milieus, the weddings are profligate and sets are luxurious, we can comprehend that it was produced by Karan Johar.

Shashank has done a fantastic job in direction, the characters are embodied by the lead actors, even Varun managed to pull off some emotional sequences, Alia is effortless and Sahil Vaid is on top form.

The film works perfectly in the first half, however; it loses the narrative flair in the second half as the film drags. The cinematography is brilliant but the editing in the second half could have been crisper.

Overall, it is a lovely movie filled with light-heart humor, good dialogues, amazing performances and a punch on relevant social stigmas.
  • Should you watch it? – Yes Rating – 3.5/5

For all those who are thinking that Badrinath ki Dulhania is sequel or related to Humpty Sharma ki Dulhania, it is not. Badrinath ki Dulhania is romantic comedy that offers a family friendly, colorful and comedic experience with a strong feminist message. After the success of films like Dangal, Sultan, Jolly LLB2, Bollywood's fascination with India's inner cities, continues here with plot set in small towns of Jhansi & Kota. The film touches on the prevalent practice of dowry in conservative patriarchal families in the small towns in North India, but balances this touchy subject with some refreshing comedy peppered throughout the script.

Varun Dhavan is amazing as 'Badri' who reminds you of Govinda's Raja Babu, who lives off a rich father, is barely educated and spends most of his time roaming around town with his sidekick. Unfortunately, 'Badris' are far too common in India, they barely finish school, inherit their father's fortune, are raised to be entitled and simply 'take' what they want in a male dominated society. Badri falls for a talented and ambitious Vaidehi (Alia), who immediately rejects his advances, which creates a romantic to and fro. However, the script inadvertently tolerates behavior like eve teasing, stalking, kidnapping and harassment against women, something Bollywood has been doing for years, but one could argue that art is just a reflection of real society… so #feminists, let's not punish the art here!

Alia and Varun as usual are looking fabulous and enjoy an electric chemistry on screen. Sahil Vaid plays a loyal sidekick and demonstrates great comedic timing. The supporting cast of the film could definitely use an uplift, with no known names it leaves a void. Especially Rituraj Singh who plays Badri's father – the evil patriarch, is miscast and delivers a weak performance; a seasoned actor like Ashutosh Rana, Anupam Kher or Saurabh Shukla would have been a great fit.

Like any Dharma production movie, Badrinath ki Dulhania delights with cinematography – managing to bring out the beauty in local sights in Kota. You can tell Karan Johar didn't design the costumes as the Burberry & Gucci coats are traded in for authentic 'jhintak' shirts for Badri and chic tie-die kurtis for Vaidehi. The film's music has a couple of foot-thumping song revivals in Tamma-Tamma and the title song, rest of the tracks leave little impression.

Badrinath ki Dulhania interestingly highlights why orthodox practices like dowry, forceful arranged marriage, discouraging working women, and male gender preference are still being tolerated by India's supposedly modern youth?? Well, it's simple…Financial dependence – If Dad pays the bills, Dad makes the rules. This is the modern generation that prefers liberalism but 'chooses' to live by the rules set by their family, even if they disagree with them. A compromise for a rent-free, risk-free and comfortable living. A comfort that comes at the cost of prolonging ancient practices and tremendously slowing down social growth. Is it time to speak up against what you don't agree with, even in your own home? See the movie to find out if Badrinath does.
  • Varun and Alia's magic is what makes Badrinath Ki Dulhania a thoroughly engaging film. The socially relevant side of Badrinath's story acts as a nice buffer and balance to its fluffy and colourful treatment. Well acted and well conceived, Badrinath Ki Dulhania and its socially relevant ideas rise above the frivolous execution to give you a solid film. Badrinath Ki Dulhania has its own set of flaws. But, it is the lead cast who wins over your hearts with his beguiling performance and makes you forgive the makers for it. The music was good enough with recreation of Tamma Tamma and party flavour like 'Aashiq Surrender Hua'. The overall direction was fair enough by Shashank Khaitan.

My Rating : 4/5
  • In terms of pure entertainment,it can't get better than this. The movie makes you laugh,cry,sympathize with the characters and delivers a message without being preachy. Alia Bhatt is the best actress (I think she's one of the best Bollywood has ever seen) and the confidence and sheer beauty she brings to Vaidehi's personality is a treat to watch. You'll fall in love with Vaidehi and sympathize with her decisions. Varun aces the badri role and his comic timing is spot on. The chemistry he shares with his friend (played by Sahil Vaid) is awesome and keeps the movie funny. Badri nails the emotional scenes too and the change in his character as the film moves subtly sends a message to the viewers.A few scenes with clumsy writing are not required in the second half. Music is super awesome especially Humsafar and Tamma Tamma. Alia and Varun power through a few ups and downs in the script and give an honest film with lots of love and heart. Must watch for sure !