User Reviews (3)

Two years ago, we discovered THE COWBOYS, a film about a desperate father searching his wayward daughter. Now, we have a divorced father in search for his kid boy who suddenly disappeared. In both movies, you have some tiny links to the western genre; just watch out very closely. I highly prefer the 2015 film, far darker and more bitter than this one because of a so so ending...Good acting and directing, some unbearable torture sequence and unfortunately some elements are not explained, such as (SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS= why the hell those gangsters kidnapped ordinary kids? Why?
  • Rick James17 May 2018
    I can believe this low-budget thriller was shot in 6 days, as is stated in the trivia. The slight interest is from the scenes of frantic search and discovery for the allegedly missing child, but too many leaps of faith are required. We are expected to believe in the protagonist's insight since we follow him the whole time, knowing he will succeed in his quest. There are too many implausibilities and loose ends in the chance discoveries. Just as an example, how come this abandoned resort is still lighted and well-maintained if it's only a place for crooks to keep their kidnapped children? How come the authorities haven't monitored such an institution? Why was the protagonist not prosecuted for assaulting an innocent man, the former wife's present boyfriend? The questions the gendarme puts to the protagonist would never pass legal muster. I could go on. It's fun to watch if you know it's going to have a happy ending, even if those final scenes are pretty sappy.
  • The thriller based on child abduction has undergone some changes since André Cayatte days ;they try to treat it in a more realistic way,by concentrating on the relationship between the parents ;and here,sadly ,we run into the hip cliché :the parents are separated ,but they still love each other,in spite of it all .Fortunately the wife's new partner is not cardboard .And the scene between the two rivals,which begins in a genial way , ends up in violence ,from whispers to screams is a good moment;the best scene of an "experimental" movie, maybe an impromptu performance , it takes advantage of a relevant detail: the wife's miscarriage ,as she was pregnant by her new companion :"you did not forgive her (me),so you have abducted and probably killed my own boy!"you're only concerned by your new shack ,your own happiness!"

The police are present ,but their role is so insignificant the viewer is wondering why he pays taxes to be protected by them!

The word is "experimental": Guillaume Canet had not read the screenplay and thus did not know the ending ; his co-stars did though(after all ,Henri Georges Clouzot regretted that Simone Signoret had read "Les diaboliques" screenplay for he did not like the way she played her character).

I thoroughly agree with the precedent users : too many implausibilities , the psychological drama turns into soft Rambo stuff ,in which Canet ,an intellectual geologist world-traveler (why are you never here when your son needs you? his wife screams ,quite rightly so) shows what he's made of.Single --handedly,yes sir! The flashbacks , now real ones ,thanks to mobiles and computers ,make the difference with the thrillers of yore .But it makes Julien's quest look like a video game :aren't the first (enormous) clues given by the computer?The police are too dumb to have noticed the license plate -anyway it's so implausible that we think it's a wrong track.

A movie which starts well,but gets bogged down along the way; too much filler( both final sequences could be a nice commercial : "a good day begins with a good breakfast :the cereals X......make all the difference!") too many flashbacks which do not make up for the plot holes .