User Reviews (217)

• If you watch a lot of good television, you will recognize this as one of the best. Intensely touches on the issue of race, relationships, and death. Heart-wrenching. Phenomenal, and most importantly believable acting. The episodes are sort of like a novel, you don't want to put them down.
  • We say, I say, again and again that we are in a Golden Age of Television. We say it and I say it because it is very true. Television shows, spurred on by streaming apps and audience expectation being raised higher and higher, have become as good and often better than anything that film can offer. The problem for shows and audiences alike however is that so many superb shows can get lost in the shuffle and even, as we saw so recently with Damnation and Dirk Gently, get cancelled long before they should be. Hopefully Seven Seconds does not fall into the latter category. Created, and largely written by Veena Sud, best known for her work on The Killing, (She's also from Toronto. I need to mention this because I too live in Toronto and because it is so nice to see a Canadian Woman, particularly one from so close to home, finding such success.) Seven Seconds is better than just good. It's great. Sud does a masterful job of writing and the shows itself is so layered with thought and imagery that I just had to go back and watch it again right away, something I have only done once, maybe twice before. On the surface Seven Seconds is a very intense and dark story about a young white cop who hits a black boy and then, along with three other cops who he barely knows on a narcotic squad that he has just joined, seeks to cover it up. On the surface Seven Seconds is a contemplation of race relations and the police. But it is so much more than just that. Seven Seconds is a deep and profound psychological and social study. It is a show that questions how well we really know each other, and how easily that we can assume that we know each other. It is a study of repentance and sorrow. It is a quest to see the humanity that underlies the surface in each and everyone of us. Yes, it's another cop show. And, taken on that level, it is a damned good cop show. Yes, it is a story about crime and punishment, or lack of thereof. Taken on just that level, it is a superb presentation of the impact of crime and on each every person that crime touches. Yes, it is dark and moody drama. Taken on just that level, Seven Seconds' superb writing and exquisite acting stands up with the best drama. Each and every actor is so perfect. Each and every bit of dialogue is so dead on. Each and every scene evokes and rips at your emotions so terribly and so beautifully. Seven Seconds is simply and utterly perfect at what it does in that very rare way that shows like Rectify or NYPD Blue have been able to be. Watch Seven Seconds. And then watch Seven Seconds again to see how well symbols are used to create depth, how layered and complex this show is underneath what seems like a pretty straight forward exterior. Because that is exactly what Seven Seconds really turns out to be about. What we see on the surface does not tell us what lies hidden beneath. But even on the surface Seven Seconds is a superb show. Don't let it get lost. Don't wait until it's been cancelled to find out how good this show is. Enjoy all your other favourite shows too. But, for your own sake, make sure you don't lose sight of Seven Seconds.
    First off, the positives. The acting was great; All actors in this TV series were brilliant in their parts.There's been criticisim on the woman who played KJ, saying she was wooden and a bit blank. But I think that's her character. She didn't show emotion on her face. because not everyone does.The series itself was gripping and I watched it over three days (trying to stop myself from binging it too quickly). It was an emotional series that does make you feel. It does bring to light some political issues going on in America at the moment. However, this political view it took seemed far fetched in some ways. For starters, the sentence in the end. I cannot see that with the evidence presented, that he would have only gotten one year for it. Especially when they said the minimum for an automobile fatality was minimum 5 years. I cannot see only one year being given. I imagine the directors aim of this sentence was to show the injustice against black members of the community and how white people often get off lighter (and this of course does happen in the real world) however, I cannot see how a judge would give such a light sentence regardless of his colour. Anyway, getting away from that. The plot holes. One outstanding plot problem for me was Nadine's death. A witness who turns up dead the night before her testimony raises tons of questions and the fact that it's just dismissed because she had a previous drug record is ridiculous and wouldn't happen. When she died I imagine she fought having the needle pushed into her arm, which would leave bruising. An ME examiner would see that, So why this doesn't come up, I don't understand. Why there was no investigation into it, I don't know. They didn't even follow it up, a witness saw it. (#justiceforNadine) Aside from that, the ending just left me with more questions and to be honest just feeling frustrated with a TV series I had emotionally invested myself in. So many unanswered questons.
  • gabyf-1524822 April 2018
    This is a great series, very well played, but I think Netflix owes the audience a second season.
  • Seven Seconds centers on a Jersey City PD narcotics team, and their possible cover-up of the hit and run of a black teenage boy. The team is headed by Sgt. Mike DiAngelo (a chilling David Lyons), resilient and respected among his team, and officers within the department. Mike, who has no children of his own, takes young, and mostly naïve, officers under his wing and shows them the ropes with some tough-love and conditioning. Think Denzel Washington's character in Training Day and you'll get a really good idea of Mike DiAngelo's personality.

DiAngelo's newest recruit is the young, soon-to-be-a-daddy, Pete Joblonski, a cop transferred in from a "better part of the city", at DiAngelo's behest. The two share a loose familial bond; but that's enough for DiAngelo to vouch for Pete and to know that he can trust him to fall-in-line when needed. Narc veterans "Manny" Gary Wilcox (a convincing Patrick Murney) and Felix Osorio (a shining Raúl Castillo) round-out the four-man Special Investigations and Gang Unit of the JCPD. This team will do virtually anything for their leader...no, scratch that, will do anything at all for DiAngelo. He is a god in their eyes.

It's the early-morning hours after Valentines Day, and Pete is rushing to the hospital to meet his pregnant wife. The roads are slick, the snow is falling. Pete is distracted on the phone. Without a visible cue to the audience, Pete slams on the breaks and wipes out. He's fine, but what's under the car is not. Thankfully, we're spared from the gory view. All we see is a bicycle tire spinning, and a homemade paper seagull attached to the frame...the significance of which becomes quite compelling when we do learn the nature of the two.

The driver of the bicycle is a young, black teenager named Brenton; a suspected "banger" from Jersey City's most feared gang. DiAngelo, with the rest of his team in the backseat of his seized-from-a-drug-dealer sports car, arrive on scene to find Pete still behind the wheel of his slightly damaged SUV, and a blood trail leading to a ditch. It's one's moral duty to render aid to someone who is injured. This thought would cross anyone's mind when seeing someone critically hurt, but a cop....well, they're obligated to help.

DiAngelo follows the blood trail to a ditch where he finds Brenton's broken body, and a serious pool of blood. What does he do? What any selfish cop would do. Fearing an incredible backlash from the (mostly black) community over the recklessness of a white cop's actions against a black kid, DiAngelo orders Pete to leave the scene, and instructs the rest of the team to clean up the evidence. Forget about the kid in the ditch, "He's nothing."

The boy's parents, devoted and pious Latrice and Isiah Butler (the brilliant Regina King and the marvelous Russell Hornsby) also become victims - right from the get go. Victims of an anachronistic system where the black population are at a disadvantage starting from birth. Does anyone care about their rights? Does anyone care about Brenton? As the story plays out over the full 10-episodes, we discover the answers to those questions and get an intimate look at why "Cops don't go to jail", especially if the victim is black.

The series has many twists and turns, most will be of the "blind-sided" type. This isn't your typical, "I know what's coming next" kind of plot, even though the story may seem similar to you. For whatever reason, we have this insatiable appetite for police procedural TV, going back at least 60-years with "77 Sunset Strip" (1958 - 1964). Hawaii Five-0, Hill Street Blues, Miami Vice, Law and Order, LA Law, CSI, to name a few more. Certainly, there are a lot of shows on TV that "play the race card" and attack police for their bias. I admit I was a little skeptical of Seven Seconds at first because of that. Like those silly "coming of age" movies I'm so sick of watching, has this topic not been done enough? Are we not yet bored by dramatizations of white vs. black, race on race, BS shows? Why do we need to see another?

According to one website, of the last two-decades, ¼ of the top-40 shows on television are police-procedural. I've seen them all (shows like NYPD Blue, Law and Order, Homeland, The Wire) and there isn't a single show within the group of 10 that, at some point, didn't deal with race-relations and police bias. Most were fictional, some based on true events. The sad truth is, without real life stories, the writers would have nothing to write about, and we'd have a lot less TV to watch.

There is an element of truth to Seven Seconds. The series seems plausible, especially to those (black or white) who have had some dealings with the law. Mentions of the Ferguson, Missouri shooting come up, as do other similar real-life occurrences that have happened. We are reminded, again, of how archaic some things, some people are. Sadly.

This series is powerful, and moving, make no mistake. The characters are deep and complex. They have flaws and secrets. They are like you, me, and our neighbor. The production value is what you would expect from Netflix; no expense is spared to make everything as realistic as possible.

A favorite quote of mine is by Dante. It goes, "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

That moral crisis is race relations within our own community, specifically with police. This has always been an issue during my lifetime (I'm middle-aged), as it was during my parents' and my grandparents'. Whether the place you call home is Jersey City, or Ferguson, or where I'm from, we have all seen parts of "Seven Seconds" play-out in real life. I know I have, in more ways than one. That's what makes this series hurt so much.
  • Great show with amazing actors. Usually I like to single out faves but honestly there isn't a bad performance here. But like some of the other reviews mention it's heavy, painful. A powerful look at personal and institutional racism in USA
    I binge watched the show and although I appreciate the message it appeared to be sending, there were too many things that affected the credibility of the show and therefore my enjoyment of it. First of all, as one familiar with the criminal justice system, there were too many times proper procedures were not followed, or ignored. For example, if the DA has the key witness for grand jury testimony, one who your entire case rests on, you guard against any possible event that will prevent the witness from testifying. Take Naomi. To have her in a youth center holding, even though ordered by child protective services, is absurd. You get a protection order from the grand jury and have her under lock and key until she testifies. Another bothersome detail was that it was concluded that she died of a self-induced heroin overdose, but later, Fish references one of the accused cops having scratch marks on his arms. If you suspect that, you get DNA samples from Naomi's fingernails to indicate that it might have been a forced overdose which raises the question of foul play by the dirty cops who would benefit from her "going away". There were just too many forced plot twists to mention that harmed the prosecution that could have been avoided. And finally, the trial was unrealistic from a legal standpoint. As an attorney, I was objecting on every question and found most of the trial scenes to be nearly laughable. I know it's necessary to try to condense a trial to a couple of episodes, but a trial of that magnitude and community importance would have lasted weeks, if not months. It also struck me that there was a similarity in some scenes that seemed to be taken right out of "The Wire", which in my mind was the most realistic depiction of urban struggle between the street drug life versus the police/legal/political machine.
  • Slow-paced but interesting show. Every character's personality is very well displayed and unique. My personal favorite is Michael Mosley's Fisher Rinaldi character. Very funny and sarcastic and excellent acting. Drug, hooker, thugs and corruption; everything you'd see from a project in the city
    Fantastic series with a great cast. David Lyon was brilliant in his role as leader of the "team" and would terrify anyone coming across him. Great actor. Unfortunately a great story line was ruined by a rushed ending and a couple serious flaws in the plot. Nardine's death warranted further investigation esp as she was the key witness and died the day before the trial. Also the wife whispered in the defendent's ear before he took the stand. Assume he learned that his fellow officers tried to have him murdered, and he still lied and did not involve them. Other than those couple things and KJ's ridiculous summing up to the jury, I enjoyed the show.
  • Any review less than a 6 is nonsense, this show is well done and deserves to be watched. We're there a few plot holes and semi unbelievable parts, yes. Was 90% of the show gritty and realistic, yes. It tackled revelant cultural topics while entertaining us, especially the last 4 episodes as the pace quickened and the characters grew more desperate. Watch it, can't imagine you being disappointed.
    Great show... spent an entire weekend binging only be completely disappointed at the ending. Granted, trying to prove a point but come on. With all the injustice in the real world, give a guy a reason to cheer in his living room rather than leave us all saying "seriously? that's the end?"

Plus... they left details hanging like "what did his wife whisper to him in court? Why did he lie?".

wish I could get that time back... the primary injustice in this movie was the way they decided to end it.
  • kad-3068828 February 2018
    This show was very good. The actors were all standouts! I hated the end, but that is exactly what I knew would happen. People have an uphill battle when it comes to bad cops.
    ***Spoilers***

I really enjoyed the majority of the show, I thought the actors did a phenomenal job, especially the assistant district attorney and the cop... I think his name was Fish. Anyway... on to the ending, it's like the writer didn't even research the law or judicial process, after the show was over, I didn't even think that light of a sentence was possible... and it's not! If they only went with the primary charge, and got a conviction, the crime classification requires a 5-10 year sentence. That doesn't even include any additional charges they most likely would have added on, especially since he was on duty when it happened. There are federal statues which would have been used like oppression under color of law and local charges like manslaughter and negligent homicide which most likely would have been added. Don't believe me? Here's straight from the NJ penal code: "New Jersey Penalties For Knowingly Leaving Scene Of Motor Vehicle Accident Resulting In Death (N.J.S.A. 2C:11-5.1) Charges Knowingly Leaving Scene of Motor Vehicle Accident Resulting in Death (N.J.S.A. 2C:11-5.1) is a New Jersey statute that provides a number of potentially sweeping penalties to those charged. First, conviction under N.J.S.A. 2C:11-5.1 is a second degree crime, meaning that you can be sentenced to between five and 10 years, with fines of up to $150,000"
  • High recommend watching this show. Suspenseful, well written and offers a perspective on numerous issues: addiction, race, corruption and our justice system inequality at times.
  • haakonah25 February 2018
    Great ensemble of actors in a story which take part in a story which takes much inspiration from police controversies in recent years.
  • christineneals3 April 2018
    This is one of tbe best shows I've seen in a while. Fantastic acting and a gripping story. HIGHLY reccommend!
    The premise was good but the execution horrible. I don't even know where to start. Regina King is a good actor it's too bad her talent was wasted. Her character looked shocked that it wasn't acceptable to knock on a cops door night after night begging him to confess to killing her son. Or that a lawyer wasn't going to find out that her son had been arrested for weed. The DA looked completely unprepared for court. Her partner punches one of the dirty cops in the courthouse with only about a million witnesses in front of them. The husband says he'll do well on the witness stand but then he folds. The judge was completely pro law enforcement to the point of ignoring the law and being rude to the DA. The hot headed cop allowed the one good witness, Nadine, to be kidnapped by the dirty cops. This whole story is ridiculous. I wasted a big chunk of time, in fact, I'm on Episode 9 and I'm not going to finish the series. I feel insulted.
  • It's worth watching a total over 10 hours run time. Slow paced and I thought after watching the 8th EP, what would be they got to make the rest 2 EP's. But the thought bounce back immediately! Very good acting except the center man Jablonski! It seems cliche to me about his emptiness of expression. But the LGBT (or TOGETHERNESS!) fact in this ERA which they try to portray, isn't healthy to digest! I think there's no cliffhanger except the proper judgement ISSUE, so no more season 2; I guess.

Any life matters in the sake of HUMANITY, STOP KILLING, Enough is ENOUGH,

Kudos to NETFLIX! You did it again!
  • Based off the synopsis I didn't think I was going to like this show. I thought this show was going to be more social justice activism. I ended up really liking this show. I think the show did a really good job of giving a nuanced perspective of very complex issues, they did not try to dumb down the messaging to good and evil like some other shows and movies do. The show did a really good job of presenting all sides and letting the viewer come to their own conclusions. The show does not perceive to tell you what is right and wrong and what to think, they leave that up to the viewer to decide for themselves. The acting in this so was superb, especially Regina King, Russell Hornsby, and Michael Mosley. The dialogue was good but some of the New York accents were a little over the top, nothing too bad though. The story was good. The more episodes I watched the better the show got.

7.75/10 Stars
  • This story arc would have been better served if it transpired over a tighter six episodes. In so many episodes, the story is allowed to wander. The side roads are interesting (and contain some of the very best acting, especially from Regina King and Russell Hornsby), but they distract from the main story line.

I found that I could not draw a parallel between a real life white police officer shooting an unarmed young black man in the back with a fictional white police officer driving in a bad snowstorm, while taking a frantic call his wife is going into early labor, accidentally hitting and killing a black teen on a bike. The real-life event, murder; the fictional event that drives the series, an unfortunate accident. This was the wrong plot device if the show meant to make a really strong statement about police killings of young black males.

I like Veena Sud's flawed heroines, both in The Killing and here. Personally, I'm all done with the male antiheros littering TV. I now find them boring and unwatchable. I only wish the KJ character here didn't clean up so good between her bouts of binge drinking. She seemed too clean and healthy when she was sober. I've known a couple of alcoholic women and they never could quite pull themselves together when sober. Even at their best, you could see them desperately trying to hold on. But not KJ. She seems at times like two different characters. I don't know if the flaw is in the writing or the acting. But honestly, I think a stronger actress could have been cast in the role.

For what it's worth, I never watched The Killing when it was broadcast (had no TV at the time), so I later stream binged it. I had no problems with the end of the first season, probably because I immediately went from watching the last show of the first season to watching the first show of the second. It likely played much better that way. So animosity about that show was absent from my viewing of this one.
  • Good show!! Good story!! Good acting!!! Must be over some people's head!!
  • This show is perfectly crafted, actors are good but the writting is a shame. Every single twist of that story makes absolutly no sense.
    • The Characters behavior and therefor their decisions
    • Investigating methods are so poor that story could take place a 100 years ago...
    • And coming from absolutly nowhere the bad guys happen to read futur and act on it, otherwise i don't know how it could possible.

And more, this story is a sad attempt to talk about injustice and real racial issues in the US. And I think it is more than important to talk about it, even it is vital. But when the story tries on every way to just surf on a wave of good movies or TV show, who actually had something to say and the way to make you feel it deep in your guts, it's finally becoming ridiculous and even more infuriating! Many time, I heard myself screaming at this poor scenario!

This show defenetly doesn't diverve a second season! Or at least anything of that poor level....
    Don't waste your time - you will be left frustrated and unhappy you wasted ten hours of your life on this series.

This series started out so promising. The cast is just terrific, what a great ensemble, but the writing is mediocre at best. So many scenes seem added just to extend and stretch out this storyline to ten episodes. After the final episode we were beyond disappointed with the outcome; the bad guys literally "getting away with murder."
  • I watched it. All of it. I'm now fairly angry with that fact. It was kind of okay at times but overall, waaaay too many liberties were taken to try to get the message across. There was no need for ten hours of the story and it's subplots. Why have a subplot if you're not even going to keep following it or tie up the loose ends to it? --I guess that's my biggest beef. The inane amount of details in things that had no relevance to the main story. I feel like it was the longest and most disappointing episode of "Law and Order" I've ever watched.
  • Just like "The Killing", also created by Veena Sud, this show has grit, is well acted and is compelling . . .at first. But the legal inaccuracies are so bad, it becomes painful to watch. It's like crossing CSI withe the wire. Gritty, but badly written. Disappointed that Veena Sud can't do enough research.