• momchilmm13 August 2017
    Honestly more of an 8/10, but there's a one-star attack on this movie
    As of this writing, more than 40% of the ratings are one-star. I do not know what the explanation is (although we could easily have some guesses) but I do not believe this is fair. This is why I'm writing my first IMDb review ever.

I do believe it is important for people to see this movie, and some of the scenes and the information had me gaping. It is definitely not boring. Maybe the only problem is that it is a bit too Gore-centric. From my point of view this was fine, as he is a compelling and moving speaker. However, I know that there are people who would not take a single word from him as truth, and so the message will never get through... But then again nobody knows how to get the message through with those people.
  • trublu21529 July 2017
    Is Climate Change is real? Yes. Is this a good documentary? Hell no.
    2006 brought Al Gore's brilliant and scary documentary, An Inconvenient Truth blasting into cinemas and soon after, classrooms. With its raw exposure to a dangerous and (until then) quiet killer, Gore's position in the world went from being the biggest contested loser in American politics (until Hillary Clinton in 2016) to being a warrior for the earth. It was an amazing documentary and ranks in my top ten of all time. However, when I saw this sequel...things changed. My thoughts on climate change are cemented, it is real and anyone who argues that it's not is ill informed or just can't face facts. But one thing that is as much of a fact as climate change is how terrible a documentary and sequel this film is.

Rehashing points made in 2006 and coupling it with some pretty far fetched predictions for the future make this film more frustrating than informative. What Gore did in 2006 was he made an accessible documentary about a crisis and used it to try to create a better and more informed world. Here, Gore seems infatuated with himself and some of the film ends up feeling more about him than climate change. Ten years since his first attempt, one could feel that he could have come to the table with something more substantial than the same graphs spun differently and the same dialog written with a bit more finesse.

Overall, I feel the message is still here. Climate change is a big problem that the world faces every day and it is up to us to stop it. But it is up to Al Gore to make sure that when he wants to do a documentary, that his info can sustain a feature length film. Instead of a little bit of new information and showing how much damage we've done in 10 years, the documentary should have been much better. I wanted more interviews with people affected by the changes, I wanted more interviews with politicians on both sides. To be honest, there's more I wanted out of this film than was delivered. That, to me, represents a disappointing film. Which is so hard for me to take considering An Inconvenient Truth is one of the best documentaries I've ever seen. It is up there with Super Size Me, The Thin Blue Line, and My Brother's Keeper for me. To see this and feel as cheated as I do, it is any wonder why I don't give this a 1 on my sheer disappointment alone. But, I have to give the film credit for at least being entertaining and informative, even if much of the information is already 10 years old.
  • Hari Nam7 May 2017
    We saw the movie after Al Gore gave an interview
    My wife and I attended an event last night at the Greek Theater in Los Angeles, featuring a screening of the new film and an appearance by Al Gore, who gave in an interview and update of what's been happening since the release of An Inconvenient Truth in 2006. What I describe below are features and conclusions expressed in the film and by Al Gore during his interview.

The essential truth is that climate change and the warming of the Planet Earth is not a political issue. It is not hypothetical. It is not a projection for the future. It is here. It is reality. It has been made a political issue in America by the fossil fuel industry and well-healed and powerful people who are being made richer by denying that reality. It's that simple.

The political ploys that they have used are nearly identical to those that were employed by the tobacco industry in the suppression and obfuscation of smoking related health data in the 1980's. The results have also been similar. They have spent over two billion dollars on their campaign to sway public opinion on the issue. Their efforts have have been somewhat successful. A significant segment of the population has been successfully misled, which has produced a widespread apathy to to the urgency of the situation and to the issue itself.

Science is a major proponent of truth in our civilization. It is not inherently wise, but it can tell us when something is broken, and often, how to fix it. Climate science has already shown us how to fix the climate problem physically. It has fallen short of helping enough people in power to develop the will to do something about it.

In order to fix that, it has taken a serious advocate, in the person of Al Gore, to champion the endeavor to educate and otherwise shift the awareness of people toward the truth.

The most prominent example of this is Gore's negotiations with the Indian Prime Minister Narenda Modi during around the time of the global climate conference in 2015. Modi was reluctant to lend his support for a climate accord because he felt that the Indian economy was not strong enough to shift resources toward the development of new alternative energy technologies and industries. The need for the developing nation's increase in energy production was immediate, with no room for mistakes. Modi and Parliament were on the verge of authorizing the building of 400 new coal based generation plants. Gore realized that that would be a climate catastrophe. He also realized that it was not their fault for their thinking that way. India was in a really tough spot.

So, Gore contacted Solar City's CEO Lyndon Rive about negotiating an agreement with India for the transfer of solar photo-voltaic technology to India that would benefit both India and Solar City. After intense negotiations, the deal was done, and Modi agreed to join the Paris climate accord. Now that's deal making.

Gore admitted, both to the audience and in the film, that he was often on the verge of despair regarding the trend of American politics on the matter. Still, he persevered. The history of setbacks is long.

One of the first was the cancellation of the NASA DSCOVR project. It was one of the first casualties of George W Bush's new administration. The project was intended to launch a satellite into a solar orbit that is synchronized with the orbit with the earth in order to observe the earth from a constant "full earth" perspective. It could make make measurements of the earth 24/7 which could then be analyzed to yield useful climate data. For example, it would be a constant monitor over time of the ratio of incident and reflected energy on the earth. That would yield an accurate measurement of how much energy is being absorbed by greenhouse gasses and the rise of global temperatures.

Many setbacks have occurred in America with the election of climate denying politicians to government office, and most recently, the appointment of many of them to federal executive cabinet and other high ranking positions.

On the other hand, there seems to be a global trend for the adoption of renewable energy sources. Even in the US, in Texas, no less, one town proudly touts its 100% reliance on these resources. Some states have nearly reached 100% fossil fuel independence. Across the world, the adoption and use of renewable energy is accelerating dramatically. In Chile, in the last year or so, the production of renewable energy has grown by several thousand percent. China has committed to the movement.

When asked whether a tipping point has been reached in the industrial and political adoption of renewable energy, Gore did not state unequivocally that it has, but he indicated that he thinks it's inevitable. He remains hopeful.

There were many examples shown in the movie of devastating events that have occurred worldwide since the last movie that are directly and unequivocally attributable to temperature and climate. Amid all the massive devastation, one event really stood out as a surprising and disturbing data point.

In 2015 a massive deluge was recorded in Tucson. It seemed to be an aerial view of clouds dumping water (billions of gallons?) on Tucson as if a giant barrel in the sky tipped over. You could actually make out the splash of the water on the ground. Not drops. Barrels.

I don't recall any mention of tipping points with regard to climate change itself. That is, the point at which the planet will not recover sufficiently to stop the warming progression. This was a prominent topic earlier on in the discussion.
  • mullie-3759123 June 2017
    Great sequel with scientific backings - flat earthers and trumpsters will dislike.
    Whether you're a fan of Al Gore or not, he isn't really the issue here. He does a great job presenting the various forms of overwhelming evidence for global warming and mankind's link to it, but he doesn't do it in a political or spiteful way. He shows global temperature and atmospheric carbon patterns, and he shows that our last 20 years have been the highest by a longshot over the previous 600,000 years. Frankly, before seeing the film, I'd heard a lot of information about global warming being a myth, but this film dispels that notion with many independent pieces of evidence.
  • davideo-212 September 2017
    An illuminating, impassioned follow up from Gore
    STAR RATING: ***** Saturday Night **** Friday Night *** Friday Morning ** Sunday Night * Monday Morning

A decade on from his award winning, socially impacting environmental documentary An Inconvenient Truth was released, former presidential candidate Al Gore has chosen to make a follow up film, further highlighting the plight of worldwide climate change and greenhouse gas emissions. He shows how the irresponsibility of certain, advanced nations is having a detrimental impact on the lives of those in smaller, more disadvantaged nations, and even closer to home, and re-ignites his worldwide call for change and accountability, as President Donald Trump removes America from the Paris Climate Agreement.

Ten years is a perfect time for evaluation, if you are trying to achieve something. When a period of time has advanced to double digits, it's time to look back and observe what progress has been made, and what significant changes for the better have occurred that something you were so passionate about and devoted yourself to promoting have resulted in. It would seem, from Truth to Power's existence, that Al Gore was not sufficiently impressed with what had changed in the ten years since the predecessor to this film was released, and so he has once again made a documentary about his worldwide efforts for change.

This time around, it's a far less personal account, with Gore having already divulged his family background and motivations for being so powered up about the environment in the last film, and so we delve headfirst in with him this time around, as he travels to Paris to show support from the USA for the climate cause, and gets caught up in the tragic terror attacks toward the end of the year, as well as to one of the one of the world's biggest polluters, India, to try and get them to find alternatives to coal burning. His sincerity towards the cause is never in doubt, obviously not something he just does to grab votes by exploiting a popular cause, and at times the passion cracks through his voice, as he propels his crusade.

In a time when international terror (not unwisely) seems to be at the top of everyone's concerns, the dour voiced Gore has powered up that slovenly drawl of his once again to make sure we don't forget about a crisis that has every bit as much catastrophic potential. ****
  • Howard Schumann13 August 2017
    Gore speaks with passion and increasing anger
    While the scientific consensus is in favor of mankind's role in causing or at least strongly contributing to global warming, some scientists point to increased solar activity or the natural cyclic effect of climate change as the cause. Others claim that computer models have left out "the complex interaction between warm southerly winds, variations in cloud cover, and sunlight reflection from open water." According to 1,300 independent scientific experts from countries all over the world under the auspices of the United Nations, however, there is a more than ninety-five percent probability that human activities over the past fifty years have warmed our planet to the point that we must take steps to curtail the emission of greenhouse gases before we reach a point of no return.

In An Inconvenient Sequel: Truth to Power, Al Gore returns to center stage updating and expanding on Davis Guggenheim's ("He Named me Malala") award winning Oscar-winning 2006 documentary An Inconvenient Truth, a film in which Gore raised public awareness about climate change. The sequel, directed by Bonni Cohen and Jon Shenk ("Audrie and Daisy"), replaces the multi-media presentation and lecture-hall atmosphere of the earlier film with a broader, more cinematic effort. Focusing more on the personality and accomplishments of Al Gore, a former Vice-President and winner of the Nobel Peace Prize in 2007, the camera follows Gore around the world where he confronts rapidly melting glaciers in Greenland, wades into flooded streets in Miami, Florida, and visits areas of recent climate disasters such as Hurricane Sandy, the Fort McMurray Canada, and Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines.

We learn that the predictions that Gore made eleven years ago have happened at a faster rate than thought possible at the time - bigger and more destructive storms, the drying of once fertile lands, and the flooding of the 9/11 memorial in Manhattan. Gore is shown training supporters to take up the cause and act as his surrogates in climate change and advocacy. Although the film is more disjointed than the 2006 film, one of its cohesive points takes place in December, 2015 when world leaders meet in Paris to hammer out an agreement aimed at restricting the rise of global temperatures to less than two degrees Celsius above pre-industrial levels. Here Gore spreads the message among world leaders and attempts to broker an agreement with India by persuading the CEO of the American company SolarCity to grant India the right to patent a type of solar technology.

Although an agreement was eventually reached, the accord failed to mandate the rapid severe cuts to global emissions that were needed and fell short in many eyes. The agreement, however, did create a feeling of hope but that has taken a hit with the election of Donald Trump who announced in March that the United States will withdraw from the Paris agreement, saying the deal is bad for America. While there is little in the sequel that is new, Gore speaks with passion and increasing anger as he talks about how the environmental choices we have made have contributed to the current climate crisis.

While the film hopefully will inspire a new generation to understand and act on the climate crisis, what it does not say is that to reduce carbon pollution, we may also need to curtail consumption, reduce air and auto travel, and limit the production and consumption of meat. Even beyond that, however, the film does not discuss that the problem may not only be one of technology but a crisis of the human spirit, one that requires a transformation in lifestyles and values, perhaps a reorganization of society. As author Richard Heinberg ("Peak Everything") notes, "In order to save ourselves, we do not need to evolve new organs; we just need to change our culture. And language-based culture can change very swiftly, as the industrial revolution has shown," Although it stops short of proclaiming those goals, the film is a timely reminder of the life and death choices we face. In his book, "How Soon is Now," author Daniel Pinchbeck attempts to wake us from our stupor.

"We have," he says, "unleashed planetary catastrophe though our actions as a species. We have induced an initiatory crisis for humanity as a whole. I think that on a subconscious level we have willed this into being. We are forcing ourselves to evolve – to change or die – by creating this universal threat to our existence. We will either squander our chance and fail as a species, or we will seize it, making a voluntary, self-willed mutation in how we think and act. This is the choice that faces us now." An Inconvenient Sequel: Truth to Power may help us make the right choice.
  • Hellmant30 August 2017
    Very moving and inspiring.
    'AN INCONVENIENT SEQUEL: TRUTH TO POWER': Four and a Half Stars (Out of Five)

A sequel to the critically acclaimed 2006 environmental doc. 'AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH'. This follow-up covers the progress made to fight climate change (since the original film), including former U.S. Vice President Al Gore's (the star of the first movie) efforts to convince government leaders to invest in renewable energy. It was directed (this time around) by Bonni Cohen and Jon Shenk (who also codirected the 2006 internet bullying documentary 'AUDRIE & DAISY'). The reviews for the film have been mostly positive, although not as good as the acclaim for the original movie; including some somewhat harshly negative criticism of Gore's exaggerated self-importance, and impact on the cause (some believe). I found the film to be ultimately inspiring, and often moving, although not as educational as other recent environmental documentaries.

The film (of course) picks up about ten years after the original movie, which I can't remember if I actually ever saw. Going into this film, I wasn't aware of just how much it would follow Gore's every move (throughout it's entire running length). The film follows his very passionate fight to inspire government leaders, from around the world, to commit to renewable energy (and sign the 2016 Paris Agreement). Only to have all of his hard work, and determined efforts, undone by our new President, Donald Trump (who is very effectively portrayed as the main antagonist of this film).

When the original movie came out, in 2006, I wasn't very interested in climate change, or much informed about it at all. So I don't think I ever saw it. Perhaps I should have watched it before seeing this sequel though, but I've seen several other (much more recent) movies about climate change, that have been quite educational. So I didn't think it was necessary to go back and watch the first film. I found Gore, in this sequel, to be surprisingly charismatic, and a very likable protagonist for the movie. I don't know how much his self-importance is exaggerated, towards the movement, but he's a very effective leading man for this film. With that said, the movie is not nearly as informative as other, more recent, climate change documentaries. It is very moving and inspiring though, in my opinion. So I'd say it's definitely still worth seeing.

Watch an episode of our movie review show 'MOVIE TALK' at: https://youtu.be/j_XDrmlMJNY
  • David Ferguson29 July 2017
    Needs less Gore, more facts
    Greetings again from the darkness. Eleven years ago, former Vice President Al Gore teamed up with filmmaker Davis Guggenheim to deliver a significant and startling wake-up call in the form of the documentary AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH. Not only was this the first introduction to the science of "global warming" for many, it also won an Oscar for Mr. Guggenheim and contributed to Mr. Gore winning the Nobel Peace Prize.

Co-directors Bonni Cohen (THE RAPE OF EUROPA) and Jon Shenk (LOST BOYS OF SUDAN) seem conflicted on the purpose of this sequel. Is this a frightening eye-opener on the climate-related changes over this past decade, or is it an attempt to return the spotlight to a faded rock star? The film provides evidence of both.

The film kicks off with a reminder of how powerful the original documentary was and how it started an avalanche of deniers … even re-playing Glenn Beck's comparison of Al Gore to Joseph Goebbels as being weak sources of truth. Mr. Gore is on screen almost the entire run time. He is a self-described "recovering politician", yet we see him acting very much like an esteemed politician: presenting on stage, shaking hands with the adoring crowds, posing for selfies, giving speeches, appearing on talk shows, and coming across as a highly-polished public figure reciting well-rehearsed lines.

As we would expect, the film is at its best when it focuses not on the celebrity and commitment of Mr. Gore, but rather on the statistics and documentation of these earth-changing developments. Some of the featured videos are surreal: the 2016 Greenland glaciers "exploding" due to warm temperatures, the flooded streets of Miami Beach from rising tides, and the aftermath of the Philippines typhoon are particularly impactful. There is even a connection made between the severe drought and the Syrian Civil War in creating an especially inhumane living environment. A Gore trip to Georgetown, Texas and his visit with its Republican mayor is effective in making the point that political platforms should have no bearing on our doing the right things for our planet. There simply aren't enough of these moments.

A central focal point is the 2015 UN Climate Conference in Paris, and cameras are rolling when terrorism causes fear for the safety of 150 heads of state, and necessitates a delay in the proceedings. We are privy to some of the behind-the-scenes negotiations that include Solar City agreeing to "gift" technology to India in an attempt to have that country join the accord and reduce from 400 the number of planned new coal plants. Of course as we now know, the historic Paris Climate Accord has since been compromised with the pull out of the United States after the recent election.

Is the purpose of the film to keep climate change believers motivated, or are the filmmakers (and Gore) attempting to educate those who might still be won over? With so much attention to Mr. Gore's ongoing efforts (and an attempt to solidify his legacy), it often plays like a pep talk rather than a fact-based documentary.

There is no questioning the man's passion, though his screen presence over two hours is hampered by his reserved manner. He states clearly that he is "not confused about what the right thing to do is", and even compares his mission to the Civil Rights movement. Gore labels the lack of global process as a "personal failure on my part", while simultaneously claiming the Democracy crisis has affected the attention given to the climate crisis. His frequent proclamations that "we are close" seem to be in conflict with the many setbacks. Are we close? The film seems to offer little proof.
  • bruce-12912 August 2017
    Horrible, boring, and no new information or real point.
    I thought "The Inconvenient Truth" was well done and stuck to the point. It came at the problem of Global Warming ... or Planetary Hotboxing, like I call it from a logical and scientific direction.

This movie ... I don't know what is was, but it put my girlfriend to sleep in less than 5 minutes. I had trouble staying awake and even making it through this long monotonous, aimless and pointless reminder of the first movie.

What I will remember from this movie is not any facts, or images, or important strategies ... but so many, many scenes of Al Gore's bloated body in all kinds of places. Gore waddling through airports, his whiny, dronying, irritating voice, but mostly all of these shots where Gore is getting make up for the camera.

What kind of an idiot thought this was an important image to include ... ugly old Al Gore sitting there saying nothing while some person applies makeup to his face? The whole movie was putatively about Global Warming, but mostly it seems to be about subliminally showing ugly negative and pointless scenes in the middle of a very tame, bland and old discussion of climate change.

This movie doesn't deserve a 1 ... but it also doesn't deserve much higher. I give it a 2/10 because it is serious and should be about something important.
  • anymouse223 August 2017
    Less entertaining and less educational than scratching my bum
    #1 OK, its not really Gore's fault he's not a very exciting lecturer. And documentaries tend to be boring by nature anyway. But there was almost NO new data in this schlock. Over a decade of research, and he comes on with almost the exact same old junk from 11 years ago? If I wanted to watch "inconvenient truth" again, I would have; slapping a #2 at the end to re-release it in theaters is why Hollywood is in decline. Even as a conservative Republican, I expected more from gore.

#2 Everything is carefully misedited to lead to wrong conclusions without actually telling lies; he talks about global warming leaving Manhattan under water and provides a picture. Except that the pic was from Super storm Sandy, a once-a-century cyclic natural event. He shows pics of Antarctic ice shelves collapsing, but fails to mention that the shot he showed is actually smaller than average for that time of year and that area. He shows Miami Beach flooding, but fails to mention its an annual event that's been occurring since the city was built.

#3 Short on science; while Gore makes some wild claims and impossible predictions, he offers very little science to back him up. Then again, that might only make this more dull and dry.

#4 Gore continues to hype "green" tech that he owns significant stock in, that other nations have tried and failed (no matter how heavily the govt subsidized)but still cant understand why people distrust him.

TL;DR over exaggerated scaremongering that offers nothing we didn't get from the first film.
  • joannefilm20144 September 2017
    The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice...
    Martin Luther King's famous quote is seriously challenged by this second iteration of the climate change documentary, and it both questions whether or not the statement is true when it comes to the safety and health of our planet, and also motivates us to keep working for the future.

Directors Jon Shenk and Bonni Cohen weave a complex narrative that both terrifies and enlightens. They focus on the extraordinary character: Al Gore, and by looking at his past as well as his present, bring the work of climate change into a historic perspective that can truly be compared to the civil rights movement.

Growing up as he did in the segregated South, Gore was born into a world in which the equality of the races seemed impossible, and yet, change has come. This may be the very reason, the film argues, that in the face of profound setbacks and the evidence of climate change all around - from the melting ice in the North Pole to the flooding in the streets of Miami - Gore can keep going. Even with the disaster at the Paris climate conference - overshadowed by terrorist attacks - and the shocking election of climate change-denier, Trump at the end of the film, we have to keep going.

See this film to have your desire-to-keep-fighting-batteries re-charged.
  • barryedge10 September 2017
    More of the Same
    Watched the Inconvenient Truth years ago and was very concerned about the state of the Climate. Since then... nothing. Just about all of his predictions did not come true ie Gore claimed in his 2006 film that by 2016, Mount Kilimanjaro in Africa would be snow-free (did not happen),Gore also claims temperature rise from increases in man-made carbon dioxide emissions were "uninterrupted and intensifying." He claimed heatwaves will become more common, like the one that killed 35,000 people across Europe in 2003.

what actually happened to global temperature after Gore's film was released? Global temperatures showed little to no warming trend . In fact, surface temperature data showed no significant global warming for a period of about 15 years, starting in the early 2000s. These are just 2 examples from the first film. There are many more!! I believe now that Gore is conning us and getting rich doing it.. Now more false claims in this movie.I find it interesting that his first movie about the end of the world, has a sequel... how ironic!!
  • James28 August 2017
    Inconvenient fact check
    Al Gore made several daring and outlandish predictions in his 2006 movie, go see it, the 2006 version. It was interesting, made a few points based on sound logic and fast forward to 2017, none of those predictions came true. He talked about Florida and Manhattan being underwater, the glaciers to be a thing of the past and if it came true, he was a prophet, but now it just feels like he is getting rich off these initiatives, and most people have covered his own usage and carbon footprints so I don't have to point out the hypocrisy. In his 2017 movie he said well you know there was a flood in a statue in a park in Manhattan during a Hurricane so the prediction was justified. Really? Its bogus and comes off as disingenuous.

The other thing is, the oceans are warming up in a manner that hasn't been proved to be man- made, and we need to address that, but he has put his focus on Carbon Dioxide emission (the basis for a Carbon Tax). However, humans contribute a very small percentage to that, and that is not the main problem gas for GH effect and the global temperatures aren't increasing significantly since the late 90s. He is creating a fake argument when there are real problems that are not addressed at all. He also hasn't addressed the problem that electric cars are emission friendly, but pollute the environment significantly when you extract the vast amount of raw resources needed to make those things. Silicon, silver, other raw resources extractions are very polluting and could even surpass the pollution of making gasoline cars and this is not addressed. I am not saying build 6 litre engine and go crazy, I am saying electric cars may be less of a solution than an efficient 1.5 litre car. These prospects are completely shut down and we keep stripping the mines for resource to build electric cars and somehow that is the only solution to global warming.

Do you see how weird that is? It is completely plausible that this man has no clue what warms the planet, it could be the molten core, it could be the position of the Earth relative to the Sun, but he has taken just one factor (CO2) and exaggerate his own impact when expedient and then blaming humans for things that are outside their control, and not addressing real problems. I like that he bring the conversation to the issue in 2006 but honestly, his inaccuracies and wild assumptions make him a potential liability for the need of true environmental understanding and change.
  • keelhaul-808567 September 2017
    An Inconvenient Truth for the Average Person...
    Global warming, caused by man, is all the rage. After all, some dudes in white lab coats wrote a bunch of articles about it and Al Gore sold DVDs and shirts about it, with charts about as reliable as Netanyahu's ACME time bomb picture. "Bro, you don't believe 97% of smart scientists and writers, bro, about AGW? Do you even care about the environment, Bro?"-- Ummm....Not everyone of that group is in total agreement about the timing, cause, solution, or cycles, contrary to the political and media brainwashing. There have also been articles about misinterpreted data, and studies on what we can do to truly combat global warming in coming years.

If all the money they wanted was put towards climate change prevention, they could hardly reduce the warming anyway over 30 yrs. Face it, folks--this is a trillion dollar industry of scaring people to death or making people feel good by buying into the hype. The earth is really old, and goes through cycles; man is not God, though he tries to be, and

I find it really funny that all these idiots pushing taxes and changes due to AGW are still flying huge jets and driving in motorcades with gas-guzzling SUVs and living in mansions that use way more power and emit more carbon than anyone. This idea is for the average joe, not the elites who push the policies and crap on everyone with it. Same as their views on gun control, sex, drugs, taxes, etc. Those laws are for the peasants, not them. Plus, every time someone says a scientist or doctor or "expert" says something, I am already skeptical.

Doctors will push big pharma, cut off a man's genitals and approve of him mutilating himself, suppress kids' hormones and delay puberty, operate on women for aesthetic purposes, kill children, drug children, and this same crew thinks there are "89" genders and the govt. still locks people up for growing pot in most states. How "progressive", truthful, and enlightened are any of these dunces, in reality? I am far more concerned with tangible problems than whether Al Gore can convince people of this nonsense while flying in a jet. These people don't care about you OR The environment, only scamming you as the sheep that they see you for. Carbon taxes, population control, fear-mongering, and a globalist control by banker overlords= that is the name of their game.
  • HerbieStretch1 September 2017
    Excellent
    It is so easy to ignore climate change if you passively receive 'news' from the mainstream media. I never saw 'An Inconvenient Truth' so this was an introduction to Al Gore and his beliefs. As such it was so powerful that I decided to buy the DVD when available even while I was watching this film - I need to remind myself that climate change is happening. The arguments are presented here in an easily-digested form and with striking footage of the effects of global warming. The ten years that have elapsed since the first documentary have only enhanced the credibility of Al Gore and his arguments and he is able to demonstrate that on occasions. The film makes it clear that addressing climate change cuts across political parties, religions and nations. Please see the film.
  • sallymweber20 August 2017
    Must See for Everyone: Climate Change is a World Crisis
    In 2005, I evacuated from Bay St. Louis, Mississippi, where the eye of one of the biggest Hurricanes on record hit the United States: Hurricane Katrina. It was inconvenient! Natural disasters are not a new phenomenon, but this movie and the first "Inconvenient", based on facts, show how and why these disasters are increasing both in frequency and intensity. There are a lot of problems that we face as a nation and world, but if we don't do anything different and continue this path all the other problems won't matter. When the Hurricane came, there was only one thing on our mind, how to survive. Most of the homes on the beach and inland several hundreds of feet were completely wiped out with only the cement foundation remaining. I saw the original movie in 2006 and was inspired by his ability to use his celebrity status to bring this issue front and center of our consciousness. Some critics are saying Al Gore is a hypocrite because he has a big house that requires a lot of energy to maintain. This is an example of stating a claim that doesn't include all the information. See: http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/gorehome.asp for a clearer view of reality. Such is true of those who deny that climate change is real. Some see cold winters as evidence that global warming is a hoax. This view is ignoring the all the facts. The sequel focused on Al Gore's training for climate change which I consider a most honorable and effective way to spread the information. There were a few moments where it shows that VP Gore brings up his losing the Presidency, which doesn't really add to the issue of the climate change crisis other than that was the cross-roads for him to jump with both feet into his efforts to educate the world. His efforts are twofold; In addition to admitting there is a real problem we need to commit to doing something about it. I was impressed with his interview with the mayor of Georgetown, Texas, a deep red state. They have reached100 percent renewable energy and the mayor, although admitted he was a republican, indicated that everyone could benefit from putting "less toxins" in the air. This underlines the point that you don't have to believe in climate change to want clean air. Climate change is not a new issue and Al Gore doesn't take credit for its discovery. He is, however, devoted to educating the world on the importance of this vital issue and what we as a civilization can do. I went to this movie, partly to support this project, and partly learn more. I wasn't expecting to be entertained in the sense of a "feel good" movie, however this movie does show progress, despite our POTUS ignoring this issue and pulINGl out of the Paris Climate agreement. Despite our lack of leadership in the White House (2017… this will hopefully change), the rest of the country and world are still on board and this movie shows the progress being made. See: http://www.go100percent.org/cms/index.php?id=17 for a glimpse of cities all over the country and world committed to renewable energy.

If you don't want to spend the money or time to watch this move, there is a free 10 min clip (that he plugs at the end) that you can watch (and share): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jxi-OlkmxZ4 I was inspired by the facts, presentation and current efforts that are happening all over the world. Thank you Al Gore!
  • Matilda brown18 July 2017
    Pure Science Based on facts to Convince the Ostriches And Intellectually Honest
    First, this movie is cold hard facts created to give back knowledge to masses, including easy to deceive right-wingers who can't think logically for themselves. The movie uses individual incidents to weave a pattern together one big massive, factual picture to inform that mortals have significant effect on this planet. It just is so. In fact, the heating of the earth's atmosphere, caused by tacky trucks and SUVs is quickly becoming the new discovery of our time! Many conventions are held worldwide where actual scientists provide documented evidence and conclusive proof that global warming is indeed serious ... unless you have a spaceship and will flee the planet. And no one is more truthful than those who say fat Trump should not destroy the planet! Once again, if money is to be made, the climate change deniers, blind, those in payola with big coal and big oil and ostriches arrive on the scene and deny evidence. This movie exists not to further enrich taxpayer subsidized big oil, but to have organizations that would benefit from climate-change denial revealed. Follow the money. Big oil, big coal, SUV manufacturers, etc. Follow the money. Follow the money. Al Gore went into this to do good, and ended up doing well--very well indeed. Honest scientists are outraged at these people who cannot even stick their heads out of the window to see what is going on and choose big payments of cash to junk science and payola so-called scientists. Al Gore correctly would have these scientists labelled "bad science" if there was a better planet to be made and there is. Notice the language that is used. I've seen the raw data on sea levels, however, if I said what the data actually show, then I'm akin to a person who cares for the planet (and deniers hate that)! If you've heard the term "climate change denier" which is used often, then you understand some people are being paid by large polluters and others just hate humanity and themselves. We need more good science, easy access on who is funding the studies and transparency on who is benefiting financially by undermining and ignoring 99% of scientists. THEN, we might begin to address the serious issue of keeping Earth healthy.
  • clg2381 August 2017
    Gripping and Persuasive
    Although the movie hasn't been released for the general public, I was fortunate enough to attend a screening. I assume the others here who rated this movie have seen it. The climate-deniers would like to think otherwise; too bad. The devastating footage in the movie is real and speaks for itself. When icebergs melt at an accelerated pace and even moderate temperatures in a city like Seattle give way to temperatures hardly short of 100 degrees, climate deniers can pretend all is well. Al Gore knows otherwise and makes a very strong case in a gripping movie for people to save the planet for future generations.
  • BasicLogic1 November 2017
    Even the "Global Warming" issue is true, but
    this guy is just using this subject and topic to make himself richer and more famous. After his first film won him an Oscar, his bank account has increased beyond any average American could fathom. I think using this trendy topic to enrich himself and afford him and his wife, a two-member family, live in an over 10,000 sq.ft mansion, is just one of the evidences to expose him as a typical shameless opportunist among other similar smart entrepreneurs who could foresee and predict what's the next business opportunity to make more dineros for years to come.

I didn't see any new input in this so-called sequel, only found this guy appeared in a lot of paying shows to repeat, to reiterate what he had already talked, discussed and written, a more simple-minded bore-you-to-death well-known dried up crap, merely with more crafty film editing and subtle soundtrack. There's nothing new in this film, only showed us an older, fatter, more puffy and bloated white guy who obviously has been affected by the unhealthy global warming and climate change. The only way to avoid his further deterioration is to better stay indoor of his 10,000 plus sq.ft. mansion with 24/7 climate controls.

I've forced myself to sit through watching this deadbeat documentary and have found out nothing new at all. What a phony and a totally unnecessary pointless sequel only with his repetitive complaints of his unfair presidential election loss to that idiotic clown (by the way, similar presidential election outcome repeated in our latest president election; Democratic Party and most of the American voters never learned). If you are smart enough and not certified stupid like me, forget about this pointless film. Don't even bother to rent it in order not to add more dollars to this guy's bank account.
  • ccharlesishack28 October 2017
    Cherry-picked facts seem convenient enough.
    A powerful documentary which is lacking in definitive facts. The first 20 minutes are spot on showing alarming symptoms of climate change, but most of the rest are merely political maneuverings and false promises straight from Gore's propaganda machine.

Both global warming and ocean acidification are due to excessive amounts of Green-House Gasses be released into the environment. It is only through ending GHG emissions that climate change can be halted, yet Gore insists on pointing to wind & solar (which currently form a hybrid power system with piped methane gas) as the best alternatives to fossil fuels. A shame RE proponents aren't more enthusiastic about nuclear power as Gore Sr was back in the 1950's.

Gore Jr's behind the scene's work at the COP21 may be admirable in intention and genius in execution, but do little to advance an actual solution to the climate change problem. Unlike the efforts of actual scientists attending Cop21 {energyforhumanity dot org/en/news-events/events/2015/efh-summary-achievements-cop21-paris}, Gore is more fluff (and personal profit) than substance.

Other persons worth listening to on the subject are James Lovelock {https://youtu dot be/mYP22KfI8lw}, Bruno Comby {ecolo dot org}, and proponents of Eco-Modernism {www.ecomodernism dot org/authors}.
  • brankovranjkovic5 September 2017
    An Inconvenient Sequel Truth to Power
    Documentary that deals with complex environmental issues and is the sequel to the Oscar winning original. 'Truth to Power' stresses the importance and severity of the crisis.

There are disturbing environmental images, and we realise that the impact of climate change is real and that something must urgently be done to save our planet.

The messages are powerful and unsettling. Al Gore is, and has been a strong advocate and spokesperson for highlighting climate change, we see him travelling the world providing training seminars for many thousands of climate change evangelists. Al Gore was also key to getting The Climate Change Treaty passed in Paris where 200+ nations agreed to fight the effects of global warming.

The film shows the progress already made towards alternative energy sources and what more can be made. Everyone can help make a difference.

How could this be anything less than a 10 !
  • A.N.1 August 2017
    Industrial wind turbines are as grim as climate change
    I'm in full agreement with Gore about the gravity of global warming, but I'm not sure if a film like this will sway those already entrenched in denial. He, as messenger, is terminally mistrusted by the simpletons who really need to be swayed. I also don't like him preaching the virtues of the Environmental Industrial Complex, which has abandoned pretenses of protecting nature from human impact and shifted toward grabbing electricity at the expense of natural landscapes.

There's too much talk of how we can save the planet by industrializing Earth's dwindling open spaces, as if everyone agrees it's a necessary sacrifice. There's no proof that wind power, a very diffuse source of electricity, will make much difference. Germany's experience with Energiewende is a good example. Actual CO2 reductions have been scant and the countryside has lost its character via machines dominating scenery that used to host churches as the tallest structures.

Every time I see cameos of giant wind turbines looming over fields and mountains, I think people are making a huge blunder called business-as- usual. Man has a history of trying to solve one problem by creating another; in this case the aesthetic destruction of nature. Wind power also presents growing threats to bird & bat populations and human health via infrasound and other irritating noise. The industry denies that those are significant problems and its devotees claim nothing can be truly ugly except coal mines. Who are they kidding?

It would be much better to see Gore and others focus entirely on smaller footprint technologies like solar, and new prospects like Deep Geothermal which combines the best of oil drilling technology with greener thinking. Instead of desecrating the Earth's surface, we should aim for energy sources that don't occupy more land or ocean space.

I'd have more hope if the average person didn't waste so much energy with things like unnecessary engine idling, and using more lights than needed. They still consume energy based on pricing and don't care how it's being depleted.

P.S. I see several grossly unscientific reviews on this site, like the straw man claim that Gore previously said Florida would be underwater by now, and a major misunderstanding about infrared absorption and CO2 saturation. Those comments show the level of intellect a film like this is up against, including in the nation's highest office.
  • rebsmith-665424 August 2017
    You will leave the theater with a fresh perspective on your purpose in life!
    This is the only film in theaters that is relevant to the state of our world. Al Gore's determination is sincere and inspirational. Ignore the reviews that criticize the lack of social justice represented in this film. He is simply trying to convey the message in the most effective an scientific terms. This is a MUST SEE for anyone wanting to bring about change in the Climate Crisis. If you don't leave the theaters inspired to be an activist for the climate, then you have ignored the mission of Gore and his vision for this film.
  • andreineculau4 November 2017
    Everyone should watch this. 1h38m of pure wake up call, people!
    Like many other reviews, I also felt compelled to write a review because of all the one-star flooding of reviews that make no sense - this one was not better than The Inconvenient Truth, thus 1-star; this one was about Gore, thus 1-star; etc.

Topic-wise, the climate crisis is real, and it's the worst crisis humanity has to deal with in modern times. The math is simple: there is no winning side in this crisis. Despite this, narrow-minded money-driven individuals and groups of individuals around the world are pushing for propaganda about how this is not real, or if it's real then it's not man-made, or if it's real and man-made then it's too big of a phenomena to stop, and even if we could stop it or slow it down the developing world needs couldn't care because they need 150y to catch up to where US is today (zero logic).

Filming-wise, this documentary keeps you connected through out. There's no repetition, there's no reiteration from The Inconvenient Truth, there's no "listen to me or we will all die", there's no "we will all die" as there are lots of hopeful interventions, having similarities with Hans Rosling's talks.

For Canadians, there's even a top-notch reply from their Justin Trudeau. I'm not talking about him as the Canadian prime-minister in Canada, but as the Canadian prime-minister in the world's eyes --- you can count on one hand the number of state politicians that will reply in a split second to "thank you for the change you're bringing about" with "it's the Canadians, not me, but thank you".
  • Ray5314 August 2017
    Must See
    Fascinating visuals, irrefutable evidence of radical (and negative) climate change. Like Al Gore's style or not, the message is critical. Shame that deniers are in power now. Unconscionable to leave such a mess to future generations. Even if you believe--with good reason--that your pols are bought and paid for, they need to hear from you.