User Reviews (3,204)

• SnoopyStyle10 August 2021
    Harley Quinn (Margot Robbie) is back with the Suicide Squad. Amanda Waller (Viola Davis) blackmails Bloodsport (Idris Elba) onto the team. Along with Peacemaker (John Cena), Ratcatcher 2, Polka-Dot Man, King Shark (Sylvester Stallone), and Colonel Rick Flag (Joel Kinnaman), the group is tasked with infiltrating the island state of Corto Maltese after a military coup to take out an alien starfish.

This is a sequel to Suicide Squad (2016). James Gunn takes over as writer and director. It has all of his irreverent style. It is fun, colorful, and violent. It's a candy-coated punch in the face and kiss on the cheeks. It's very enjoyable and an improvement from the first movie. There is an issue with this franchise. The group is not stable. The only constant is probably going to be Amanda Waller and nobody likes her. Harley Quinn has been in both movies but her public pull is still in doubt. It makes it hard to build a continuing narrative for the franchise. This is a great stand-alone movie although the franchise is a different question.
  • The problem with superhero movies. They can easily be po faced and pompous. The audience want fun from their superheroes.

Marvel learned this hence why the colourful Thor 3 was such a contrast from Thor 2.

James Gunn injected a lot of frivolous fun in the Guardian of the Galaxy movies.

Even 20th Century Fox went off the wall with Deadpool. An X Man giving the middle finger to X Men movies.

Only Warner Brothers and DC have ploughed on with movies lacking the fun factor.

It's James Gunn to the rescue with The Suicide Squad, the follow on to the 2016 original.

Harley Quinn (Margot Robbie) Bloodsport (Idris Elba) Peacemaker (John Cena) and some others including a shark that likes to eat humans become part of Task Force X assembled once again by Amanda Waller (Viola Davis.)

Their mission is to infiltrate the island of Corto Maltese which recently had a coup. It also has a facility with something alien inside. To find out more they need to get to the Thinker (Peter Capaldi.)

This is a zippy action movie that eschews the traditional three act structure. It plays fast and loose. It's faithful to its comic book origins.

It is violent and darkly comic. It also has a lot of heart thanks to Elba and Daniela Melchior who plays Ratcatcher 2.

Despite what looks like a scattergun approach Gunn also manages to add some political subtext to the film.
    We are introduced to Savant (Michael Rooker) in the first scene. Don't get too attached. A second squad is made up to infiltrate Jutunheim on Corto Maltese island and get information on Project Starfish which has alien technology.

I loved this film. It was funny and fresh unlike the other DC comic films. The Starfish takes on human consciousnesses similar to "The Attack of the Crab Monster" and has a certain "Stay Puft" silliness. Many dark comedy elements like Idris Elba's relationship with his daughter. LOL funny. Worth watching twice.

Guide: Plenty of F-words. Implied sex. Brief nudity.
  • I can't believe it's five years since I watched Suicide Squad at the cinema, I still moan about the waste of time and money, I loathed it.

I went into this one with a degree of scepticism, but within the first five minutes, something just feels different, and that vibe continues through to the end, it is a totally different production, one I thoroughly enjoyed, it doesn't matter what kind of film you like, there is something here for you, it's funny, it's dark, it's of course action packed, and if like me, you like a bit of gore, then you may just find yourself enjoying this.

I cannot remember the last time I enjoyed a hyped up film, I always seem to be at odds with the critics, however this time they're right.

The acting does vary a little I would say, Idris Elba is just brilliant, it's nice to see him doing something a little different, I just wish Capaldi had a slightly bigger role.

So good, I'm already booked in for a second viewing, 8/10.
  • kosmasp9 August 2021
    What can be said about the Suicide Squad (yes the, not a or just Suicide Squad) ... and what can be said about James Gunn? I reckon some may have issues with his work - and that is fine. We all have different tastes. Him going comedy (though very dark and very violent and so many other things that certain people may call inappropriate) - is quite different from what Zac Snyder and DC stood for mostly. But succesful DC movies (at least at the box office) had quite a lot of fun included too - like Shazam to name another.

But this is not that - we also have the previous Suicide Squad ... which while not really referred to, is in this too. Because you have some of the former members here. But of course a lot of new people too. The characters are as crazy as they can be - and the movie is as bloody as it is allowed too - it also has some nudity in it. The US has the R rating for movies like this ... UK and Germany went for the 15 and 16 rating respectively ... which some may find a bit low. That will depend on your sensibilities ... just be aware that there is a lot of gore, blood and other "mature" things depicted.

The movie is not taking any prisoners (almost in a literal sense) and you never know who is going to bite the dust/bullet ... maybe even a member that you like a lot ... not to mention that morals are not really an issue for most members to say the least. Stick for an extra scene after the credits ... it does set up a future project (maybe it's already in the past when you read this)
    In my review of the 2016 film, I noted that I wasn't inspired by it enough to check out a sequel if there was one. Well, now it's here and I'm back to the party, and by the look of things, this sequel clearly outdoes the original with a significantly higher IMDb rating. That's not to say parts of it aren't cheesy, they definitely are, when you consider two of your meta-human heroes are a land walking shark and a guy who kills with polka dots. That King Shark (voiced by Sylvester Stallone) had me reminiscing all the way back to those old time Saturday Night Live skits that used to crack me up. The kicker had to be the super villain who shows up in the latter half, and my word! - Starro the Conqueror finally made it into a DC flick! Starro's first appearance in a comic book story hearkens all the way back to March, 1960 in an issue of Brave and the Bold #28, in which it went up against the Justice League! How's that for longevity, sixty plus years of history for a giant starfish!

I have to admit, the opening sequence was a little awkward with the first team being taken out so handily by the Corto Maltese military faction. But then the real Task Force X showed up to side with Sol Soria's (Alice Braga) freedom fighters. After that, it's one major dust up after another, with a couple of surprise outcomes that get further treatment in the after credits scene.

As for the story, that's where it gets somewhat derivative. The American government in league with a foreign nation to suppress information about a top secret project that could be used for military purposes? Come on, that's like saying the NIH would fund a secret Chinese lab to engage in gain of function research. Oh, wait...
    The original Suicide Squad was a mixed bag but had its moments, spin-off Birds of Prey was much better, and this third instalment, only adding "The" to the title, was highly anticipated, written and directed by James Gunn (Slither, Guardians of the Galaxy). Basically, intelligence officer Amanda Waller (Viola Davis) recruits a team of Belle Reve penitentiary inmates to carry out a new suicide mission, threatened with bombs implanted in their heads if they go against orders, and with the promise of having their sentences reduced if successful. The team, led by Colonel Rick Flag (Joel Kinnaman), are sent to the South American island nation of Corto Maltese after its government is overthrown by an anti-American regime. They are tasked with destroying the Nazi-era laboratory Jötunheim where a secretive experiment known as "Project Starfish" is taking place. However, the team are ambushed by Corto Maltese military, resulting in the deaths of Brian Durlin aka Savant (Michael Rooker), George Harkness aka Captain Boomerang (Jai Courtney), Richard "Dick" Hertz aka Blackguard (Pete Davidson), Cory Pitzner aka T. D. K. "The Detachable Kid" (Nathan Fillion), Javelin (Flula Borg), and Mongal (Mayling Ng). The only survivor of the team is Harley Quinn (Margot Robbie) who is captured by the military and through seducing the leader gains information of the new regime's plans to use Project Starfish against other nations. The distraction of the ambush allows a second team of inmates to enter the country undetected. The second team is led by Robert DuBois aka Bloodsport (Idris Elba), with Christopher Smith aka Peacemaker (John Cena), Nanaue aka King Shark (Sylvester Stallone), Abner Krill aka Polka-Dot Man (David Dastmalchian), and Cleo Cazo aka Ratcatcher 2 (Daniela Melchior). After finding Flag at a base camp for rebel soldiers, the squad convinces rebellion leader Sol Soria (Alice Braga) to assist them. The squad accomplishes their next objective of capturing Dr. Gaius Grieves aka the Thinker (Peter Capaldi), a metahuman scientist in charge of Project Starfish. After rescuing Harley, who managed to escape captivity herself, the team break into Jötunheim and rig the facility with explosives, while Flag and Ratcatcher 2 enter the underground laboratory with the Thinker. They discover Project Starfish is Starro the Conqueror, a giant intelligent alien lifeform resembling a starfish that controls its victims through smaller versions of itself. The Thinker reveals that Starro was brought to Earth by the American government, who have been secretly funding the experiments on Corto Maltese for decades. Peacemaker, under secret orders to cover up America's involvement, kills Flag after he refuses to surrender a hard drive containing evidence of this revelation. Meanwhile, the squad and the Corto Maltese military battle, causing Polka-Dot Man to accidentally set off the explosives prematurely. Ratcatcher 2 obtains the drive from Peacemaker and Bloodsport saves her by shooting Peacemaker. Starro escapes the laboratory, kills the Thinker and many of the military, and begins taking control of the island's population. Waller tells the squad that their mission is complete, but Bloodsport decides to lead the squad into battling Starro. Waller orders the squad to be executed for disobeying orders, but her subordinates knock her unconscious, wanting to save the population. Polka-Dot Man is killed, but Harley pierces a hole in the alien's eye and Ratcatcher 2 summons all rats of the city to chew Starro to death from the inside. With the military distracted, Soria takes control of the government and pledges democratic change. Using the drive as leverage, Bloodsport forces Waller to release him and his surviving teammates from their imprisonment in exchange for keeping its contents confidential, and they are airlifted out of Corto Maltese. In mid and post-credits scenes, the first team's Weasel (Sean Gunn) and Peacemaker are shown to be alive. Also starring Taika Waititi as Ratcatcher, Dee Bradley Baker as Sebastian, Natalia Safran as Kaleidoscope and Gerardo Davila as General Vera. Robbie is likeable as the gleefully homicidal anti-hero, Elba and Cena are both great being tough, Davis gets her sinister moments, and the other cast members do well. Unlike the original, the characters are much more layered, the story is interesting, the special effects, fights and explosive sequences are controlled, it leaves room for well-timed humour and gore, and a good soundtrack, including "Folsom Prison Blues" by Johnny Cash, "Whistle for the Choir" by The Fratellis, a fun anti-superhero fantasy action. Very good!
  • BA_Harrison8 August 2021
    Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn is the common denominator between two of DC's worst movies: David Ayer's abysmal Suicide Squad (my rating: 3/10) and the even worse Birds of Prey, directed by Cathy 'How the hell did she get that gig?' Yan (my rating: 1/10). Robbie returns for this sequel/reboot of The Suicide Squad, but this time she's in the more capable hands of director James Gunn, who has a proven track record with big budget, special effects laden blockbusters. Quinn is still a rather annoying character, but Gunn's film has so much else going for it that it's relatively easy to ignore her grating voice and mannerisms.

Gunn began his movie career writing for Troma, penning such classics as Tromeo and Juliet (1996) and Terror Firmer (1999), and made his feature film directorial debut with gory sci-fi horror Slither (2006), and I can't help but feel that schlock horror is much closer to his heart than his family-friendly Guardians of the Galaxy films. Also written by Gunn, The Suicide Squad is certainly a whole lot of twisted fun, loaded with characters of dubious morality, bad taste humour and the type of graphic violence that would easily have earned the film an R-rating a decade or three ago (or seen it edited of all of its nasty stuff in good old Blighty-Gawd bless the BBFC). As a die-hard horror fan with an appreciation of the absurd, this adventure for the Suicide Squad is just how I like my comic book movies: dark, demented, and very gory.

Robbie aside, the cast is excellent, with Idris Elba as Bloodsport, leading a crazy squad of anti-heroes on a seemingly impossible mission to destroy a scientific research building on the island of Corto Maltese, home to Project Starfish, a gigantic alien called Starro the Conquerer that can generate tiny duplicates that latch onto other sentient beings, thereby allowing the creature to control their minds. Joining Bloodsport are assassin Peacemaker (John Cena), Ratcatcher 2 (Daniela Melchior), Polka-Dot Man (David Dastmalchian), and King Shark (voiced by Sylvester Stallone), all of whom have their own particular and peculiar skills. Harley Quinn joins the 'squad' later on, a survivor of an earlier mission of which she is one of the few survivors (the others being heroic Colonel Rick Flag, played by Joel Kinnaman, and my favourite character, a bug-eyed, child-killing creature called Weasel, presumed drowned but seen recovering and scampering away at the very end of the film).

Other familiar faces joining in the fun are Gunn regular Michael Rooker as Savant (one of the not-so-lucky members of the first assault), the 'Twelfth Doctor' Peter Capaldi as scientist Thinker, Viola David as ruthless Suicide Squad controller Amanda Waller (also returning from Ayer's messy original), Firefly's Nathan Fillion as T. D. K (I won't spoil things by revealing what that stands for), Jai Courtney as Boomerang, and Taika Waititi as Ratcatcher 2's father, Ratcatcher.

With such a stellar cast, and an A-list director at the helm, it's clear that no expense has been spared to ensure that The Suicide Squad isn't a flop this time around, and this is also evident in the superb digital special effects, of which there are plenty. I'm not the biggest fan of CGI, which can be the ruin of many a movie, but when it is of this calibre, it's fine by me - the film looks great throughout, whether it be chaos and destruction on a massive scale, more artistic flourishes (Harley Quinn on a killing spree surrounded by cascading flower petals and animated birds), or King Shark tearing a victim limb from limb.

I had such a good time with The Suicide Squad I don't even mind that Harley Quinn wasn't one of the many characters to die a gruesome death, and I look forward to further sequels and spin-offs (Peacemaker is already slated for his own movie), just so long as Gunn is in control. But can we have a bit more of Weasel next time, please?

7.5/10, rounded up to 8 for IMDb.
  • Well, if you enjoyed the 2016 "Suicide Squad" movie, then you will certainly enjoy the 2021 movie "The Suicide Squad" as well. Why? Well, simply put, because it is the same kind of cheesy entertainment.

Writer and director James Gunn definitely managed to keep the movie up to par with the 2016 predecessor in terms of oddball characters, an outrageous script and an abundance of action.

It should be said though that the 2021 "The Suicide Squad" is a step up in terms of graphic violence and sheer mayhem. For better or worse, then "The Suicide Squad" was rather bloody and gory. That was something I had not expected from the movie, but it was definitely something I welcomed to the movie, as it just felt rightly at place in the cheesy movie.

The storyline told in "The Suicide Squad" is a no-brainer, and very much reminiscent of the 2016 movie. So this is essentially a movie where you lean back, munch the popcorn and just enjoy the action-packed ride.

I can't claim that I was particularly impressed with the bad guy, villain or whatever you want to call a starfish of that size and magnitude. Sure, it made for some great spectacle of destruction, but the creature itself and the concept of it was just a bit far out there. But hey, then again, anything is possible in these movies I suppose.

The characters in "The Suicide Squad" were colorful and bizarre, to say the least. And that was something that I definitely enjoyed in this 2021 movie, as they upped the character gallery quite a lot in comparison to the 2016 movie.

I feel that Harley Quinn (played by Margot Robbie) was a bit underplayed in this movie, as her character wasn't really given enough time to show the usual level of whacky crazy that we saw in the other movies.

The Bloodsport character (played by Idris Elba) was definitely one of the more detailed and layered characters in the movie, and let's just be honest here, Idris Elba was superbly cast for this particular role and performed it so well. It was fun to watch Michael Rooker portraying the Savant character in the movie, despite of not having all that much screen time.

Then there was the King Shark character. When I first saw him, I must admit that I was ready to face palm myself. But as the movie progressed, I must admit that the character grew on me, and he definitely was a good comedy relief in the movie. And of course having Sylvester Stallone to do the voice was just great.

I am not much of a fan of John Cena and his 'acting', but the character he portrayed in "The Suicide Squad" was actually a well-written character and one that felt very much in place in the movie.

Having mentioned King Shark, I also have to mention the Weasel (played by Sean Gunn). Wow, what a character. He was something unlike anything I have ever seen on the screen, both in terms of appearance, mannerisms and what part he played in the movie. This character was just glorious. But I bet there will be a lot of people out there disliking the character. But, to each their own.

And it was really, really nice to see actor Joaquín Cosio in the movie, taking on the part as Mayor General Mateo Suarez. This guy seriously is a great actor, and a much underrated one at that. He was so nicely cast for the movie and brought a lot of flavor to the screen.

Visually then "The Suicide Squad" is great. Of course it is great, given it being a D. C. movie about anti-heroes.

I must admit that I wasn't initially expecting all that much from writer and director James Gunn's 2021 "The Suicide Squad", but it proved to be rather enjoyable and entertaining from beginning to end. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie.

My rating of "The Suicide Squad" lands on a six out of ten stars - or starfish...
    Yeah, I get it. There are a lot of superhero movies. But saying there are too many is like saying there are too many slashers or comedies. It's a genre in and out of itself that can tell a variety of different stories. And nobody has done a better job of that than James Gunn, who started in the world of Troma and low budget horror like Slither before making Super and then taking over his own part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe with Guardians of the Galaxy.

But let me tell you - this is basically a high budget low budget film with a heart and you'd be silly to skip it. What other movie would be audacious enough to - spoiler warning - kill more than half its cast including most of the names on the poster before the credits even begin?

Where David Ayer's Suicide Squad was pretty much considered a fumble - I liked the Deadshot moments and seeing the cast on screen - this movie fully lives up to the premise of John Ostrander's run on the comic book. These are the very lowest of the low when it comes to super-villainy, forced by the American government to do missions where there's every single chance they'll die, whether at the hands of their enemy, one another or by the bombs implanted in their heads by their team leader Amanda Waller (Viola Davis, perhaps given less to do in this movie but nailing exactly who the character is).

Two different versions of Task Force X have been sent to the island of Corto Maltese to destroy Jötunheim, a laboratory that holds the secret of Project Starfish. One team - led by Rick Flag made up of Harley Quinn (Margot Robbie, who has this character down as perfect as it gets), Captain Boomerang (a sadly wasted Jai Courtney), Savant (Michael Rooker), The Detachable Kid (Nathan Fillion), Javelin (Flula Borg), Mongal (Mayling Ng), Weasel (all CGI and looking like Bill the Cat) and Blackguard (Pete Davidson) will take the beach. The other - using them as a distraction - is Peacemaker (a perfect John Cena), Bloodsport (Idris Elba), King Shark (voiced by Sylvester Stallone), Polka-Dot Man (David Dastmalchian, not the first choice for a superhero character or actor, which should explain a bit of this movie to you) and Ratcatcher 2 (Daniela Melchior).

This is a deep cut, but even Squad pilot Briscoe shows up to fly their transport. Deeper still is getting characters like Calendar Man, Kaleidoscope and Double Down into the prison.

There's really no way that I can be subjective in my review of this. The Ostrander-era Suicide Squad is my favorite comic of all time and I subscribe to its modern remix Copra - you should too RIGHT NOW - and this movie completely hits all of the right notes, from how Killer Shark could eat anyone on the team at any time to Savant running from the battle and paying the price.

So yeah. There are a lot of superhero movies. There is only one that has a kaiju starfish, a man who loves peace so much that he'd kill for it, full-frontal male nudity and perhaps the most gore I've ever seen in a mainstream film, as well as moments in the Project Starfish lab that would not feel out of place in an Italian zombie film.

Movies can be and should be escapist fun. In a world where nearly every DC film has faltered to almost astounding levels, unable to even get the character of Superman correct in the last few decades, Gunn hits it out of the park. I can't wait for the Peacemaker show and whatever comes next.

This is how you should feel after watching a blockbuster, folks.
  • This from is fun, exciting and has a ridiculous story line. The characters are distinctive. The starfish is just so funny. I enjoyed it.
  • Nope, sorry - i just didn't get the fuss surrounding this. A group of quirk-empowered miscreants are released from prison so they can embark on an highly dangerous, mission to destroy a (not so) secret facility on the island of Corto Maltese. Led by Margot Robbie and Idris Elba, this motley crew prove predictably effective despite facing the usual array of overwhelming odds that never did have much of a chance against the "Squad". The thing has precisely no jeopardy to the plot, and although the action scenes and visual effects are top drawer - so what, that's a minimum standard nowadays, rather than a selling point. Though I did appreciate Robbie more here than in the dreadful "Birds of Prey" (2020) solo iteration, and there are some fun scenes with Idris Elba there are far too many cast members to keep track of, and for the most part this film hasn't an original bone in its body. Sure it has some feisty, bad-ass attitude, but I'm afraid I've seen this all before...
    . . . in its message without captioning its subtext. The sage seers of the always eponymous Warner Bros. Use THE SUICIDE SQUAD to warn America of the apocalyptic consequences should a weak-kneed U. S. government allow the irredeemable starfish zombie "core supporter" space-fillers to infest our land during any future elections. Totally incapable of independent thinking once the Master Manipulator turns their mind to mush, these miscreants are depicted by the prophetic Warner prognosticators as an imminent threat to many millions IF such a clear and present danger as the self-centered starfish is allowed to run roughshod across traditional American institutions, customs and norms. THE SUICIDE SQUAD attack the Evil Starfish, who doesn't give a hoot for the Laws of either Man or God, with extreme prejudice, literally spearing through his Big Eye to feed his brains to rats. Warner is pleading with our USA Homeland to bring on the rodents in 2022 and 2024!
  • A team of super-villains can shorten their jail sentences by going on missions as the titular Suicide Squad. They're not expected to return, and they definitely won't if they stray from the mission, or disobey direct orders, and have their implanted explosives detonated.

It's the kind of ridiculous, contrived concept that we don't expect to work outside of a comic book. Not even in an adaptation. And yet, it does, incredibly well. You'll be surprised by how much you care about some of the members. Others are deliciously despicable, and we hate their guts. The level of interpersonal conflict is fun, and yet you can believe that someone would intentionally put all these people together. The action is tremendously enjoyable. No two characters are overly similar, no one disappears into the background, everyone does at least one major memorable thing, and like in Birds of Prey, Harley Quinn(Robbie, continuing to prove she's the perfect choice, she completely understands what makes Harleen tick) is given great scenes, dialogue, depth.

James Gunn brings all of his strengths to this. He handles the ensemble cast without getting bogged down in their introductions: instead, he uses an impactful, if short one for each, giving them something quick yet defining to do early after we meet them, and, of course, utilising, without abusing, the useful narrative shortcut of exposition. This is emotional, if not as much as the two Guardians of the Galaxy movies. The use of music fits and is effective, not on the nose boring choices that play only very briefly, and are followed up maybe a minute later with another cue. While I have to admit that this is the first R-rated picture of his that I watched, I would definitely say that he should get to do more of these in the future. It still doesn't feel like he's awkwardly constrained when he works with a PG-13, but he really knows how to use the freedom here. We do get ridiculous amounts of violence(and swearing. It is thankfully nearly completely devoid of gratuitous sexuality and nudity, that would only distract. Of course I wouldn't be against it if it served a purpose; there is no time in this when that would have been the case, though) that is expected from this kind of thing, yes, meanwhile, We also get some legitimately powerful, disturbing material. Of course not every film has to "have something to say"; however, it can be extremely gratifying when we see one that does(and does it well), and this is one of those instances.

I recommend this to anyone who finds the trailers appealing. They give you an excellent idea of what to expect. 8/10.
  • THE SUICIDE SQUAD (2021) *** 1/2 MARGOT ROBBIE, IDRIS ELBA, JOEL KINNAMON, JOHN CENA, DANIELA MELCHIOR (the voice of SYLVESTER STALLONE), DAVID DASTMALCHIAN, VIOLA DAVIS, MICHAEL ROOKER, NATHAN FILLION, PETE DAVIDSON, STEVE AGEE. Filmmaker James Gunn gets his ya-yas out in this go-for-broke kitchen sink epic taking of the cult DC Comics characters including in Robbie's hell-yeah Harley Quinn and Elba's morose Bloodsport forced to go on a secret mission with a melange of oddballs to thwart a worldwide threat in the form of an alien creature being housed as a military weapon in the fictional Corto Maltese. Totally bonkers and a ton of fun the ensemble motley crew is gonzo for destruction, mayhem and sure, saving the world at any means possible. King Shark is the wild card voiced by Sly as a man-eating cuddly great white in Jams.

Have at it!
  • neil-4768 August 2021
    Amanda Waller sends more villains out against a threat on Corto Maltese. Or should that be Maltayzee?

Some returning characters and plenty of new faces populate a second outing for the anti-hero title which demonstrates very clearly why joining the Squad is suicidal. There is a great deal of graphic violence here, a huge amount of profanity, some spectacle, some humour, and some very unexpected deaths.

Idris Elba's character was clearly intended to be Will Smith's deadshot to the extent of dominating the film (plus having identical abilities and backstory).

The Big Bad was very obviously a bloke in a mo-cap suit: some effort should have been given to animating some non-human movement.

The tone is noticeably lighter than the previous movie and, once again, Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn is the standout character, although I did enjoy a number of the others.

Yes, I liked it.
    Finding the 2016 one (-also reviewed) to be a jumbled mess, I was hesitant to take a look at the new version, until I began to notice a large number of reviews stating surprise at how good the movie was,which led to me and a pal going to meet the new squad.

View on the film:

Wiping the slate clean with a blazing pre-credits opening, writer/directing auteur James Gunn reunites with cinematographer Henry Braham, and lays out an expansion of his recurring themes and motifs across the galaxy in a distinctive elaborate colour palette that shines in close-ups on the unconventional group of anti-heroes.

Keeping to practical effects as much as possible,the screenplay by Gunn uses the Men on a Mission set-up to unleash a live-wire genre mash-up,that goes right back to his Comedy Horror roots, via zombies,sharks and tentacle Monster Movie, that are combined with Gunn's tongue in cheek zinger dialogue looped round each Squad member, whose bond starts to crack with betrayal as they take on the main part of the mission.

Backed by a criss-cross of John Murphy's jaunty score and James Gunn's spot-on song choices, the ensemble cast give outstanding performances, with Margot Robbie and John Cena giving wicked pitch black comedic turns as Quinn and Peacemaker as Gunn fires stylish long tracking shots following the gloriously gory, thrilling Action set-piece carnage they leave behind.

Perfectly balancing the comedic line from Robbie and Cena, Idris Elba brings a gravitas to the level-headed Bloodsport,whilst Daniela Melchior captures the deeply flawed, but well meaning optimistic heart of the group as Ratcatcher 2,a piper who leads the Squad to victory.
  • trashgang5 December 2021
    weird
    Personally I till don't know why they called it part 2. Nothing to do with Suicide Squad except for Harley Quinn.

Also it shows why i am more into DC then Marvel even for series. Why, there's more humor added and the action is a bit more exaggerated then a marvel Movie. It's full of fun, weird scene's, crazy editing and gory killings.

But I do understand that some didn't like this, the shark (njam njam hilarious) and the monster at the end.

It's one that isn't been made for everyone but i enjoyed it.

Gore 2/5 Nudity 0/5 Effects 4/5 Story 3/5 Comedy 1/5.
  • Rick Flag (Joel Kinnaman): "Here's the deal: we fail the mission, you die!" Bloodsport (Idris Alba): "We find out any information you've given us is false, you die!" Harley Quinn (Margot Robbie): "We find out you have personalized license plates, you die!"

Woven into the above quote is the heart of the ingenious superhero satire, The Suicide Squad. The adventure is a relentlessly action-oriented and bloody superhero/supervillain mashup with an equal measure of droll humor like "personalized plates." This Keystone-Cops band of doomed mercenaries is working to overthrow the dictatorship of a small South American island, Carto Maltese.

The first act, reminiscent of the comic-book derived Suicide Squad but with more bite, is non-stop joking in the spirit of Deadpool, possibly wittier. The usual introduction of the talented but eccentric band is rife with guffaw jokes and satire.

Sylvester Stallone stands out as the mumbling King Shark, who eats humans, as apt a metaphor for invading armies as you could want. Ratcatcher 2 (Daniela Melchior) carries the physical weight of a loathed herd of rats and the metaphoric importance of what an invading army is thought to be. The wildly dangerous Weasel (Sean Gunn) reminds us that a Groot-type will often show up in this genre but maybe more terrifying and right from hell.

While the second act drags as in most superhero movies, the third, with the struggle to overtake a malignant tower housing a monster alien starfish, is chockful of jokes again and just as importantly the themes of a vulnerable population and rise of the meek. With the action at peak, writer/director James Gunn still lards the story with wit.

The Suicide Squad, be it a sequel or a remake (arguable for either descriptor), is a smart takeoff on the genre for those tired of the more serious Marvel series. It's plain good fun, well-acted, and expertly photographed (See it in IMAX if you can). For late summer, you couldn't have a better reason to go back to the cinema.
  • Always a D. C. comics fan and usually watch all of their films so of course checked out the latest "The Suicide Squad". And I must say not the greatest still the action and adventure journey like feel was entertaining as it was nice watching anti hero and liked bad characters go against the grain and do some dirt work for the government. The Suicide Squad this time is recruited for a mission to fight evil international enemies and cons from prison off the island of Corto Maltese. And you guessed it the action and fighting is in top form being lead by Harley Quinn and Bloodsport. Nice along the way to see the introduction of the squad's new sidekick a human eating shark(voiced and done by Sly Stallone) who was so loveable and liked. Overall not the greatest film, yet probably a good action watch for any fan of D. C. comics and their movies.
  • "The story is invariably the sort of video-gamey, pop-corn, destroying-extraterrestrial-creature nonsense, the name "Project Starfish" is a dead giveaway of its arch-villain, but Gunn's script swiftly throw barbs towards USA government's aggressive foreign policy, hypocrisy, callousness and backdoor skulduggery, its patriotism is tainted by a mean streak that trivializes another country's human life. It is quite chilling to see Bloodsport and Peacemaker have a grisly killing competition then realize the rebel armies they massacred are actually allies, but there is no consequences, as long as they share the same enemy. Then, as the last resort, it is the puissance of the have-nots, the multitude, symbolically denoted by teeming rodents, that save the day, THE SUICIDE SQUAD is nothing if not politically perceptive."

read my full review on my blog: Cinema Omnivore, thanks.
  • thesar-28 August 2021
    Charming, but...took you guys long enough.

This was the Marvel equivalent to what they did with The Incredible Hulk years after HULK. But, way better. Hell, even a better soundtrack than the "original."

I think new-to-DC James Gunn KNEW this soft reboot of 2016's Suicide Squad would be predictable as all hell, and just ran with it. There were virtually no twists not foretold long before they happened and the character's arcs easy to forecast. But, that's okay. Gunn's filmmaking style and storytelling approach, in conjunction with a cast with extreme chemistry was refreshing.

The Suicide Squad's back, sorta, and this time they're out to squash an alien. That's it. That's their mission. Of course, with a title like this, it ain't gonna be easy.

I loved Margot Robbie again - still the best thing in the original theatrical cut, original extended cut and Birds of Prey. I miss her when she's gone and her scene-stealing when on, welcomed. Luckily, however, we also got the enormously charismatic Idris Elba, a FAR superior Bloodsport than Will Smith could've dreamt of. And I even loved the hilarious Land Shark, Polka Man, the cute driver, Milton and the "Oh, Rats" Girl. I actually didn't have a problem with any of the characters here. Or their acting.

Being a Gunn movie, it's well written and shot, naturally. But, while I loved how Hard-R this was (there was a penis shot,) and I'm no prude whatsoever, I found the use of the F-word...excessive. Normally, I wouldn't have a problem, but every time they used it, probably 30-35 times, it felt like they were purposely putting it in to make this a Deadpoolesque Adult Comic Book Movie. Basically, a ton of the time, it was unnecessary and actually dragged down Gunn's typically smart dialogue.

Second half's WAY better than the first, but once the movie kicked in, I was completely on board and loved it. Plus, again, that music - really kicked ass here. THIS is how you use music in a Suicide Squad movie.

***

Final Thoughts: Okay, Time to Update my Best-to-Worst DCEU list:

1 Man of Steel 2 Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Ultimate Edition, far superior to the Theatrical Cut) 3 Wonder Woman 4 The Suicide Squad 5 Birds of Prey and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn 6 Shazam!

7 Suicide Squad (Extended Cut, Don't Even Bother with the Theatrical Cut) 8 Zach Snyder's Justice League 9 Aquaman 10 Wonder Woman 1984 11 Justice League.
  • Suicide Squad involved the U. S. government sending supervillains on suicide missions of "national importance." The movie is very funny, very dark, a bit gorier than I would have liked, and full of amazing action sequences. It's also got a little political commentary about U. S. intervention.

The cast is terrific, most notably Margot Robbie, reprising her Harley Quinn role from an earlier "Suicide Squad" movie I never saw and the fabulous Birds of Prey. I really love her Harley, a psychopath with a heart of gold and killer reflexes who moves through the film like a chaos agent, fearless and improvident (if I ever watch the first, reputedly terrible Suicide Squad movie, it will be entirely due to Robbie).

While the movie is crazy and hilarious, it also manages to put a little heart in, notably in the father/daughter vibe between Idris Elba and Daniela Melchior. Zach Snyder, who attempted and failed to create emotional resonance in Army of the Dead with a similar approach, should watch this movie over and over until he understands how to fit deep emotion and crazy action into a single film.

This is a terrific movie, every bit as good as director James Gunn's Guardians of the Galaxy films, and you should definitely watch it.
  • FeastMode10 August 2021
    My entire review has an asterisk on it. I had a terrible theater experience with a group of teen couples walking in halfway through the movie. Talking, laughing when nothing was funny, using their phones, dropping their phones, using the phone flashlight to find their phones. Smh i wanted to punch them in the face.

And i'm the kind of person that can't miss a single line in the movie. I never leave theater while the movie is playing. But they were so distracting that i left to complain. They quieted down when the attendant was standing by them, but as soon as he left, they resumed. I can't stand inconsiderate ppl.

As for the movie. It didn't impress me. I was mostly amused/entertained. But i barely laughed. The action is decent but none of the scenes stood out (i'm struggling to remember any later the same night).

I don't really know what was missing, but i just felt like it was almost there but not quite. I'll give it another chance and see if i feel differently about it without morons surrounding me. But i could see it going either way, up or down

my biggest disappointment, which i know won't change, is the same major complaint about the first one: in a movie filled with villains, where is the evilness? Where is the darkness? Why do they want to take villains and make a fun superhero movie. We already have a thousand of them. Don't get me wrong, i love me my superhero genre, but you have the ability to make something so unique.

Yeah this movie is filled with bad ppl, but they're portrayed as good, loyal ppl. At no point did i feel a bit of evil out of any of them. And i love that they went for it with the R rating, but that makes it even worse. It could have been truly dark and maybe a bit terrifying (1 viewing, 8/9/2021)
  • Not only an inevitably vast improvement upon the wretched 2016 "Suicide Squad," this definite article, "The Suicide Squad," is also one of the more aesthetically like a comic book of the many comic-book movies I've seen and that our culture has clearly become enamored with, although not as reflexively so as, say, the also ultraviolent "Kick-Ass" (2010), or going to the visual lengths of Ang Lee's underappreciated "Hulk" (2003). That makes sense in a way, as writer-director James Gunn is a veteran of the genre--having already made two "Guardians of the Galaxy" movies (2014 and 2017) for the Marvel Cinematic Universe and is working on a third, in addition to other superhero flicks such as "Super" (2010) and "Brightburn" (2019).

Although I think his oeuvre has been one of mixed results, few have arguably had more influence on the direction of the genre than him. The MCU was significantly redirected by the self-aware humor, as well as the pop tunes, of the first "Guardians of the Galaxy." I think "Thor: Ragnarok" (2017) is an especially evident example of this, playing as it does much like a third "Guardians" installment. DC's Extended Universe was affected, too, in their clumsy way of imitation ("Shazam!" (2019) in particular, and, by way of the ever-more self-referential Marvel property "Deadpool" (2016), "Birds of Prey" (2020)). Here, thanks to Disney's knee-jerk firing and before their rehiring of Gunn, DC got the real deal. Perhaps, it may also become a variation of a template for future such movies.

It's still consistently light and set to rock 'n roll or otherwise pleasant melodies, but we also get some different, more dynamic movement from those RED digital cameras, which is quite congruent with the comic-book look. Nothing too exceptional, but better than others. In addition to bright colors and anthropomorphic sharks, weasels and rats and lethal polka-dots, that look includes the style of the titles, which often are blended in with the scenery, as in the introductory "Warner Bros. Presents" being made of the blood splatter from a character's head exploding. In one of the subjective sequences, not only are Harley Quinn's cable-supported fight moves more cartoonish, but, like those filters for people's narcissistic phone videos of themselves farting hearts, smiley faces and the like, Quinn imagines flowers replacing discarded bullet cartridges and the blood and guts erupting from her victims' mutilated bodies. It's also appropriately rated R, which, of course, such a movie should be if we're supposed to accept anti-hero villains as superheroes as in any way subversive--so we see blood, there's foul language, and, perhaps a first for such a high-profile one of these, brief nudity.

All of this is welcome. The awareness of the camera is established from the start, with the shot revolving from a puddle reflection--setting the visual tone for the rest of the picture. There are also some especially good moving-camera shots later, such as revolving around Quinn shooting guns in that red dress, a fight seen through a helmet reflection, or during the climactic tower collapse and kaiju battle. As with a comic-book drawing, the CGI-enhanced digital mobility may even allow the "camera" to go inside for a view of a heart being stabbed. The entire opening sequence utterly tops, including by some hilarious false leads, the awful introduction of characters in the first "Suicide Squad." It's pretty funny to see a rather more realistic outcome of what would happen to such a rag-tag team when confronted with an actual army. Not quite "The Dirty Dozen" (1967), let alone "Saving Private Ryan" (1998), this bunch. Indeed, some of the biggest laughs here come from the squad's incompetence.

Perhaps, the only thing that doesn't especially work here is the dissonance of the banana republic, American imperialism political plot beside the picture's otherwise light tone. Crazy, secret experiments and an alien starfish kaiju plot straight out of "Rick and Morty" by way of 20th-century sci-fi pulp such as Robert Heinlein's "The Puppet Masters" fits, but I'm not sure about geopolitical satire. It's not because I'm against the message, or that it matters whether or not I or you are for or against it. Perhaps, it would work if the rest of the picture were also a satire on comic books, but it's not that. The closest it comes is John Cena's Peacemaker character, so devoted to peace that he's willing to kill as many as he needs to for it. There's still the blockbuster-franchise reverence for itself with the rest of it, comical though it may be, that one wouldn't find with, say, the puppets in "Team America: World Police" (2004), which therefore could convincingly make political commentary.

Somewhat more effective methinks is the bit of reflexivity by having Viola Davis's character and her covert-government team both directing and spectating the suicide squad via video and audio surveillance. Superheroes as the movie-within-the-movie. This, too, though, is reminiscent of "The Cabin in the Woods" (2011), which itself was rather derivative of "The Truman Show" (1998). In this one, however, that comic-book supes movie inside another movie also ends up fighting over another film, which as with most movies these days, is contained on a hard drive. A film within a film within another film and all digital.

Besides Gunn, "The Suicide Squad" also benefits from recruiting another MCU veteran in Idris Elba, who far outdoes Will Smith in the Will Smith part of squad leader who shoots good. His quarrelling with Cena's costumed crusader with a similar set of skills is an amusing running gag. Wisely, this sequel excises almost everything from the first movie except for its sole silver lining, the always-fantastic Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn. Although she's arguably absent from too much of it, it's nice that a good, albeit still flawed, movie was finally built around or to accompany her character.