• This is a lot like the ITV Marple and Poirot series. Classy, grret visuals, great plot, and nonse of the "teaching moments" that make me tirn off things like Father Brown, or George Gently half the time. I am not against that sort of thing, I just want to enjoy my mystery without being taught about prejudice. I am not a kid that needs lessons. Rowan is excelelnt in the role. The musical background is amazing. So far I have rewatched every single episode at least three times.
  • Just finished watching Maigret in Montmartre again, and absolutely loved it. Pitch perfect in recreating George Simenon's Maigret and Paris between the wars.

The casting was superb. Atkinson was excellent as the dour down beat Maigret, perhaps almost too dour in places but with good range. But the surrounding cast was delightful also. I loved the scrumptious Lucy Cohu as Madame Maigret, her beautifully understated mix of fondness, frustration and patience with him was wonderful, together with Maigret's low-key approving statements of "you're a very clever person" when she made a pivotal suggestion. The understated but loving relationship was superbly evoked including in the last frame. Mme Maigret as scripted and performed is a hidden gem anchoring the series through the downbeat.

And, through all the faded glories, the seedy smoky foggy environs perfectly staged and captured, the ultimate message of deliverance through relationships and positive outcomes shone through in four relationships. Very well scripted, I thought, to deliver a positive end to a very downbeat storyline.

This reimagining, or is it imagining, of between the wars Paris was superbly done (great location work in Budapest, where did they get those crooked and worn steps?). Full credit to the BBC and production company, in the usual superb English manner, of recreating the historic environment, making it totally believable in a very high-quality cinematic manner, and dropping us into the environment.

I accept the cast speaking "working person" English, rather than franglais, which is just as believable as when I watch Kenneth Branagh's series of Wallander with working person English in Sweden.

I look forward to more Maigret, and more Atkinson, and more Madame Maigret as well.
  • It's already fourth from a film franchise made for television. A couple of months ago I reviewed the previous film, and since then I have been looking forward for this one. It was a Christmas season release, and like usual, I'm a little late to watch it. Sadly, this instalment was underwhelmingly received. But I won't agree on that. In fact, it was much better than some of the previous films, especially in maintaining the suspense. Except the basic plot, it was okayish! I mean very casual, like any murder mystery, it opened its account. In the modern detective films, there should be a opening twist and the end twist. That's what lacked in this!

It's a detective film, so what do you expect other than a murder mystery. So another murder that picks Maigret instead of the other way around. He could have stopped it in the beginning itself, but without it there won't be a story to tell us. This time it's a twin murder with signs of one murderer. Like usual Maigret goes after the clues that all points for a nightclub.

It's a puzzle to solve, everyone around the victims have some kind of secrets to hide, including the victims. Now Maigret has to convince them all to come clean and sets for a trap to catch the bad guy. It was not a surprise twist, but a decent one to end the mystery once for all. There always a suspectable atmosphere about all the prime character tied to the murders. That's how the entire momentum was created to narrate the tale. Then I don't think anybody would guess perfectly who is the killer before it unfolds itself. But the angle is convincing, that makes the overall film a decent.

-xX] At the heart of this case is a man who feels aggrieved. [Xx-

There's a regular cast and one-time cast. The regular ones were good, led by Atkinson in the title role. As always he dominated, then his colleague vanished with a lesser screenspace. The one-timers contributed well too. The night club people, the young boy Phillippe, the Grasshopper and finally all the suspense is around the name Oscar. Montmartre street is the crime scene, but regarding the victims, they are from two different social classes. One a nightclub dancer and the other a high profile name. That is the big riddle the Miagret has to solve by connecting.

The fourth film and a fourth director to helm this iconic novel adapted detective story. As well the first time the writer has been replaced. It maintained its average viewership, but like I've said, not everybody happy with it. I don't know what led them to that conclusion, but I enjoyed it. Nothing special, just a simple suspense drama. On the average it is an acceptable. Especially as it was made for television, that's the perfect platform to have it to maximise the outcome.

Now the final question is can we expect the fifth film! They have recreated the brand that I've only heard of. This is my first version of this iconic detective. This modern version is to reach all the new generation and it did its part decently. So they should continue with it. This and the Jesse Stones can't be compared for several reasons, but this could be the British's own Jesse Stones. I meant purely as a television product, and about a detective. If you had enjoyed the previous three, you would do the same for it as well. Could be lesser, but that does not mean it is a bad flick. So those who wants a cop film, it will be a decent pick.

• bjclassic195011 November 2018
    I just ran across this series. Seeing Rowan Atchison in such a serious role was just awesome. Now I'm going to try and track down shows I've missed.
  • I love Rowan Atkinson. I think he is an excellent yet underrated actor. He just gets it. He knows how to become his characters and it makes his believability so much better.

Drugs, slease, love and murder are her in this film. It's not overdone and I personally liked that. It is a simple case of murder being investigated by a shrewd detective. If you're looking for a lot of action you are not going to find it here. This is straight up mystery. I enjoyed it.
  • /refers to all 4 films with R. Atkinson as Maigret in 2016-17/ In fact, the Brits were the first to create a TV series from G. Simenon´s books - already in 1960 (R. Davies as Maigret), then again in 1992 (with M. Gambon). I have seen them sporadically, without much memories, but this I remember that Maigret was a thickset guy (the same type in Italian and French series). And now Atkinson - how come? Would it be perhaps some Mr. Bean and Johnny English included? But hell, no - he is a talented actor, I had no ambivalent feelings from the start. The French atmosphere is recorded realistically as well, followng the path of K. Branagh as Wallander where the language is English, but all the venues, dresses, cars, etc. original, and as I did not remember the previous series or books, I could watch the course of events approvingly. As for plots, the 1st episode "Maigret Sets a Trap" was least interesting and soon predictable, but the other 3 were pleasantly dynamic and thrilling, so I had to see the whole episode at once, without splitting. If you like Poirot-Lewis-Morse type of crime dramas with usually 1 case per episode, then this Maigret is definitely for you as well.
    I have previously reviewed another episode in this series, and was not particularly impressed. I made a new attempt and saw this one. And this is much better. Exciting structure, good performances, credible, film is good and the atmosphere is the way it should be in a crimefilm like this.

Unlike other criminal series, however, the killer is not a character we get to know along the way. As a viewer, we are not wondering which of those who appear to have done that. This is a minus, because when the end is a fact and the murderer is revealed he is one we have not been introduced to and a character we know nothing about.This is what makes Agatha Christie's books and movies so good to read and watch. We are usually surprised. But here it is someone out of the blue, although the circumstances surrounding the disclosure are good. In my opinion, this drops somewhat the film, and the ending becomes an anti-climax. But for all means, certainly one to spend time on.
    I have now seen all four in the series with Rowan Atkinson, and rate them very highly overall, especially 'Maigret's Dead Man', which was brilliant. But unfortunately, despite the same high quality production, this was by far 'the weakest link'. What was going on? Lapointe and Janvier are generally portrayed as such excellent hardened professionals, worldly-wise police detectives, and yet both seemed very badly out of character, incompetent, over-emotional. Maigret himself is always a highly reflective and focussed character, but his remorse at failing to be totally telepathic went too far, and his resulting poor behaviour towards his wife again stretched the character. And in the end, the plot didn't hold up so well. Arlette could have told him so much when she was right there in his HQ, but she very plainly didn't tell him a thing, even though she was in great fear of her life. In fact she told him nothing. And he kept saying "why didn't I guess?". Oh really!
  • Fiahm24 December 2017
    Explain to me, if you will: what is the point of setting a French Detective show in Paris if everybody there just talks and acts like Cockney geezas? Why not just set it in London? Why not just come up with something new? How about we write the next season of Sherlock entirely in Cantonese and film it in Texas?

Some nice stuff from the art department but Rowan Atkinson here has all the screen presence of an unsalted Brussels sprout and the acting all round is only a smidgen better than an Eastenders Xmas Special. The suspense is as bearable as a comfy chair and the writing is as woefully anachronistic as a Rampant Rabbit in the hanging gardens of Babylon. I should also point out it contains perhaps the least convincing portrayal of a blind person yet broadcast this century.

British drama is in a worse state than I remember.
  • I love Rowan as Maigret he is perfect and compelling. The series is wonderful ,attention to detail superb and scripts that keep you enthralled to the end. This was a great episode with many twists More please it's what tv should be Great drama and compelling stories and wonderfully shot.
  • After the initial shock that comedy actor Rowan Atkinson ("Mr. Bean", "Johnny English") plays the dead-serious role of inspector Jules Maigret, came the establishment that he does a terrific job with it. Atkinson possibly puts down the best portrayal of Georges Simenon's legendary and world-widely famous Parisian police detective, and especially the first two TV-movies ("Maigret Sets a Trap", "Dead Man") starring him are highly recommendable. "Maigret in Montmartre" is also a solid and enjoyable mystery/thriller, but it's somehow less compelling, less plausible and less involving than the previous installments. Maigret is devastated when the stunningly beautiful nightclub dancer Arlette is found strangled in her apartment. After all, she came to the police station the evening before, with a story that she overheard a murder plot, but most of all Maigret realizes she came to seek protection. When the mysterious "countess" Arlette was referring to is also found dead, Maigret and his team dig deeper in the background of the popular Arlette, but also clean out the sleazy Picratt club in the heart of Montmartre's red-light district. Atkinson is still as sober and integer as he was previously, but the script makes a few lame twists (the sentimental La Pointe, for instance) and some of the supportive characters (Philippe Martinot, club owner Fred Alfonsi, ...) are truly weak and unpersuasive. But the biggest letdown here is the "Oscar" character. Whodunit thrillers simply don't work if the culprit is revealed as somebody who doesn't appear in the story before.
  • Maigret au Picratt's, a novel from the 1930's, has gotten at least three TV treatments: Jean Richard's in 1985, Bruno Cremer's in 1992 and now Rowan Atkinson's. This latest film has some good acting by Douglas Hodge as the oily Fred, Adrian Rawlins as the crazed Oscar and Sebastian de Souza as the pathetic Philippe, but it still suffers from a weak script that lacks atmosphere--I mean emotional atmosphere not the Budapest street locations that look pretty wonderful at times. Atkinson uses his mellifluous voice to good effect but is unconvincing as Maigret.
  • khunkrumark14 February 2018
    The first three outings of this re-boot were a treat but this is awful.

The noisy and annoying music can't cover up the feeble screenplay or hide the ridiculous 'geezers' who were written into this story to fill out the running time. The attempts at 'comedy relief' are a spectacular failure, too.

The subtlety of Maigret the policeman is buried here and Atkinson has literally nothing to work with and his plodding through scenes is just uncomfortable to sit through.

The direction borders on being a cartoon, such is the unimaginative and cliched use of camera angles, lighting and perspective. Imagine watching Dick Dastardly & The Anthill Mob brought to life and you'll be close to visualizing what this looks like. It's 'cloak and dagger' without the story to back it up.

In the 1992 episode we were treated with some great character actors (including Minnie Driver) and a fascinating and absorbing 50 minute episode... one of the best of the series, in fact. This version, though, seems to be a desperate attempt to cling to the coattails of the success of the first three movies... rather like Jaws 4 was!

Let's hope they get back to the winning formula of the first films if they do decide to make another one... because this was awful.
  • What a disappointment to find there were only 4 episodes, I really enjoyed this series. Sharp cast, great scenery and wonderful acting. Dare I say I liked it better then Mr Bean.
    It seems clear that the order was given to soften Maigret's character. In this episode and the previous installment, Maigret is obviously being transformed by heavy handed writers to a "cop with a heart of gold who plays by his own rules". Unfortunately, we can get this over worked genre any night on network TV.
  • Despite a couple police blunders it's a decent enough mystery. Homicide visits characters around a Montmartre Paris dance hall. The thing about this Maigret series is that all the supposed French characters speak with English accents, and there's no sense at all that the setting is France other than a few French signs here and there, and that lack of authenticity diminishes the series for me. Atkinson is decent in the lead, dry and understated as he is in the novels, but with just enough sensitivity to seem human.