User Reviews (1,098)

• I went into this movie having no clue what it was about and wasn't expecting much, but I loved it.

There are innumerable movies with huge budgets that simply fall flat, and Upgrade, with a Budget of around $5,000,000, which doesn't cover the cost of catering on some of these huge budgeted flops, honestly looked like it cost a lot more than it actually did.

Intelligent script, good action, very few unnecessary scenes, and though I thought it was sure to let me down, a very good ending.

And although I have seen much of Logan Marshall-Green's work and was never a huge fan, he does a very good job here.

Recommended.
  • This has seriously become my favorite AI movie to date. I can't believe it was low budget because it's impossible to tell apart from the unknown actors who all do an excellent job. I will do my best to replace its lack of marketing with recommeding it to everyone. I was expecting something entertaining and instead got an amazing plot with a mind-blowing ending. If you enjoy this genre, you can't let this one pass you by. What everyone says is true, it's like a long, perfectly executed Black Mirror episode. I rated it 10 stars for the simple reason that I could not fine anything wrong with it or anything I didn't like. From beginning to end, this movie is amazing. I cannot recommend it enough.
  • The commericals made Upgrade look like merely a sci-fi action/revenge flick, which it kind of is, but there was more to it than I expected. I'm glad I saw this.

The film contains tight directing, acting, and music as well as some creative kills. I was very impressed with some of the futuristic decor in this.

The plot is fluid and competently handled. Though some parts are predictable, the movie really did play against expectations in one part I won't give away, and overall the film does a good job of surprising.

The film does get darker than I expected, but I understand where the filmmakers were going and credit them for taking risks.
  • Through and through this movie felt like a longer episode of black mirror. The production was higher and the cinematography was really cool. I could see how the stabilization lock on his head during fight scenes could make some people dizzy, but I thought it was a unique way of doing things. Some of the acting was sub-par during the casual interactions, but I thought the plot and action made up for it. It's thought provoking in the way Black Mirror is and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys that content and doesn't mind gore.
  • Brilliant.

This movie is proof that you don't need all the special effects in the world to make an amazing sci fi movie. This is low budget done right (think Ex Machina).

I signed up to IMDB to review this movie, I was that impressed. I see tons of people making that remark about films but honestly, this movie is unbelievable and for any sci fi fan out there, you need to watch this.

I went in blind, no trailer, no knowledge of the movie what so ever and I would advise you do the same.

The plot is simple, it's a revenge story that's been done countless times, yet it feels so fresh, acting Is slightly suspect throughout the first 10-15 minutes but the story will grip you, be patient.

Honestly, I don't want to give anything away so just watch this movie.

9.5/10

Easily my favourite sci fi for a LONG time.

Enjoy.
  • This film is basically "Robocop" meets "Death Wish", with less satire than the former and more humor than the latter. And it's a B movie blast. An unrelenting pace, fantastic fight choreography that doesn't skimp on the gleeful blood and gore, and never not fun or interesting to look at.

Yeah some of the one-liner dialogue as delivered by Logan Marshall-Green feels a bit forced and the plot isn't exactly clever or unique, but damn it, it all works and it makes it's own beautiful alchemy out of a bunch of borrowed parts. This is cheap genre filmmaking done right.
  • After watching this movie you will realize how bad every other major sci-fi has been in the past several years. This is a film with an excellent story, great cast, direction is on point, and the sci-fi is well developed. The gore is in your face ;) but it adds style to the movie and depth to the plot which one realizes later in the movie.

A classic to remember. Look forward to seeing this again.
  • eccanz29 May 2018
    What an unexpectedly brilliant movie. Lots of laughs, some moments that I almost couldn't look, fabulously different story line, last minute surprise ending, car chases, and brilliant fight scenes.
    "Upgrade" (R, 1:35) is an action horror sci-fi comedy written and directed by Leigh Whannell, writer of the "Insidious" movies, the early "Saw" films, plus "Dead Silence", and director of "Insidious: Chapter 3". This movie was shot in Australia and Whannell and most of his cast are Australian. However, with the accents and the sets, you wouldn't know the movie wasn't American - and with the (lack of) quality in the last two "Insidious" movies, you wouldn't guess that Whannell was behind this gem of a film.

Grey Trace (Logan Marshall-Green, looking a lot like Tom Hardy) is an "old school" auto mechanic in a near future where intelligent, driverless cars are increasingly commonplace. He's married to Asha (Melanie Vallejo), an employee at a high-tech company. They live in a house that's suitably high-tech as well, operating with voice commands and equipped with a powerful computer embedded in a table top. They're very happy... until one night when they're on their way back from meeting one of Grey's clients, a reclusive computer genius named Eron Keen (Harrison Gilbertson). Their car crashes and they get mugged. Asha is killed and Grey is paralyzed from the neck down, with only his mother to care for him.

Eron visits Grey and offers him the opportunity to regain control of his body, with the help of a neck implant called Stem. The surgery succeeds spectacularly, Grey signs a non-disclosure agreement and heads home, promising that, at least for now, it appears to the world that he's still a quadriplegic. Grey quickly learns that Stem can talk to him (as voiced by Simon Maiden). Given the lack of progress by a police investigator named Cortez (Betty Gabriel), Grey takes advantage of Stem's Alexa-on-steroids capabilities to find the men who killed his wife. Normally not a violent man, Grey finds himself overmatched by these men, who themselves are technologically enhanced, until he learns how Stem can also help him fight. But, alas, avenging his wife's death isn't as satisfying as Grey might've expected.

"Upgrade" is a very appropriate title, given some of the writer-director's mediocre movies - and as a comparison to other films in the AI subgenre. This one is a combination of "Deadpool", "Ex Machina", "Transcendence" and the "Bourne" movies, but still feels fresh and creative, visually and narratively. The occasional comedy comes from the combination of Grey adjusting to having Stem's cells in his brain and some gallows humor as he pursues his wife's killers. The film also features one of the best recent casts you never heard of. The high-quality cinematography, editing, acting, pacing, directing and screenplay (with some late-game twists) makes this one of the most balanced and entertaining movies of 2018. "A"
  • Really enjoyed this movie. A very good dose of future technology and where it would lead us to. We are already seeing the birth of some of the concepts shown in this movie and like with any technology there will be good usage and bad. I dont understand the bad comments on violence as it is "indirect" (without giving away). Fast paced and suspenseful. Logan Marshall-Green acted well without any "overacting" or showing off. Screen play and direction were very good. It is original concept and I did not see any connection with Death wish or other movies - not even close or people did not understand the movie?
  • I went into this with fairly low expectations. The trailer looked good, and the cinematography looked exciting. But the premise seemed tired and worn.

*in a deep, movie-voice over voice* some guys kill his wife, and now he's seeking revenge".

But this film surpassed my expectations, and was a well-worth experience. Not only was I correct about the cinematography being exciting and engaging, but the plot actually strung together compelling way. This film came out of nowhere for me, and now, it's a memorable film that accomplishes the most important goal of any great film: gets the audience to keep wondering about it.

Since I don't want to go into spoilers, I'll say one last thing: pay attention to the Foley artist's work. The sound design is poignant and additive to the experience. It reminds me of the clever usage of music from Baby Driver. Nothing is wasted and is always enriching of the world building. With Baby Driver, the music was giving us Baby's personal experience. Here, the sound effects give us Grey's point of view. Didn't experiences, but both are elevated through sound, masterfully.

I genuinely want to see it again. If the trailer interested you at all, go see it. It's worth your while.
  • robertjcottrell14 August 2018
    I refuse to give away any spoilers.

Suffice to say this movie is amazing.

One of the best of the year
    1st thing it's way better than the whole black mirror series. In the future how programme will control the mankind and how computer will harmful to us it's all narrated in this film.

I didn't even imagine that the computer programme is an actual culprit in this film. I can bet it will surprise most of the audience.

Acting was outstanding , editing was ok , screenplay was awesome , music was kind of ok , story was really mind blasting.

What a great low budget film. Dont miss it out. One of the best film nowadays. Superb 💯👏
  • What a great movie. It had all the elements of a real smart action/thriller/sci-fi.

The characters journey was perfect in every way. The mood and feel changes were riveting. The action was surprising and awe inspiring at the same time.

And the conclusion! The underlying themes were brought together in the most masterful way I've seen in a while.

This is a cult, must see movie if ever there was one. I highly recommend it to anyone who's into action and psychological thrills.
    The protagonist was awesome .. as a technophobe .. very convincing .. and there is a growing number of those these days those who dont trust technology .. the action sequences were amazing . spot on .. just as a person who isnt in control of his motor functions ..logan marshall green is awesome .. loved his part in prometheus .. and he delivers in this movie a very talented actor .. .. and will go a long way in hollywood ..great comedic timing as well .. this movie gets a 10 out of 10 from me .. watch it, its one hell of a ride from start to finish .. especially the action sequences .. got so involved that i started cheering for the AI protagonist .. if this is a budget flick its done so well that it brings a lot of big budget movies to shame ..THIS MOVIE DESERVES A SEQUEL .
  • I'll give this film credit for putting a fresh spin on the overdone revenge film. The action is very unique, while also evoking memories of the Wachowskis' work on The Matrix. I really enjoyed the Vangelis-esque score used throughout. It helped create that dark, futuristic atmosphere necessary for the story. Even if you think you see where the story is going, it manages to go in unexpected directions. Between the cool concept, great sets, and dark themes, Upgrade is just that, an upgrade to the typical revenge action thriller.
  • Went in thinking this was going to be a good action movie with some fun AI-inspired fight scenes, but it was so much more than that. All of the actors, almost all unknown, were phenomenal, and the writing and pacing was perfect. The dynamic between the AI and the main character was somehow both funny and terrifying as it slowly digressed. Man what an awesome movie. Will be recommending to everyone.
  • Not only is the action fun but the plot spin made for an interesting scifi movie
  • sirgarrykay4 April 2018
    Such a good story and action and ending! A twist for sure. I saw this at a screening awhile back when it was called STEM (better name in my opinion) and I thoroughly enjoyed it and would definitely recommend.
  • YourMyWifeNow21 August 2018
    I went into this without knowing anything at all about the film and I was very pleasantly surprised. Technically the film is great. It looks very stylish and there was hardly anything that disappointed. The fight scenes are top notch and not afraid to pull any punches. If it had a large budget it wouldn't necessarily be any better, which is quite a compliment.
  • I have watch every scifi movie this last 35 years and i can assure you this one is the best i ever seen concerning AI.

Thats is just perfect. Everything is perfect OST, Camera, script, acting, ideas ALL GOOD!

RUN watch this one. This movie deserve at minimum 1 award for his story.
  • While I was watching 'Upgrade' I kept racking my brains trying to workout where I had seen a similar story before. When I finally worked it out I realised why it had taken me so long to get there. It was because it was a book I was thinking of rather than a movie. Dan Brown's latest novel 'Origin' follows a very similar concept and story. Both are unbelievably good in their own way. 'Upgrade' was quite different to what I was expecting. Pretty much every film Leigh Whannell has played a part in making to date has been horror based. Now while there is the odd dash of extreme violence here and there, this certainly doesn't fall into the horror category. Turns out the man can nail more than one genre.

The first thing that hits you about this film is how smart it is. Like almost all of Whannell's films it plays out like a puzzle and the audience gets to go along for the ride. Despite me already mentioning a very similar book, this still remains a very original (no pun intended) story. In the final 20 or so minutes all hell breaks loose and it truly is one of the best end sequences to a film I can remember seeing. The icing on the cake for me though was the dying seconds of the film. I begged in my head for the credits to roll right at that moment (not because I wanted it to end, but because ending it there would be the perfect thing to do - but something not a lot of film makers today would've had the bravery to do) and sure enough they did. I absolutely loved this film and would implore you to see it.
  • I have forced every person i know to watch this movie to shed as might light on it as it deserves. Give this one a watch you wont be disappointed, it has a venom sort of feel to it as well which I dig. Plus Logan Marshall-green as tom hardy look alike just adds icing to a cake
  • Thank you for this move !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally some one did it something good !!!
  • Blumhouse came up with yet another original, thrilling, fun to watch film! This film will not be what you expect it to be. It exceeded all my expectations.

The script is full of surprising elements and the futuristic world created in the film is one of the most realistic dystopias I have ever seen in cinema. This is a unique experience, what a fun film to watch!

Lastly, I've been keeping an eye on Logan Marshall-Green since "Devil", and I think "Upgrade" is his Swan Song, along with "The Invitation", of course.