• A new outing by Nick Frost and Simon Pegg and the team.

If you like their work you will enjoy this, it had a tight script and whole cast got behind the material.

I enjoyed it from start to finish not so many belly laughs but plenty of lighthearted humour. I agree it's not everyone's cup of tea but what is!
  • Whereas this misses the vital team members of the cornetto team namely Nira Park and the combined writing efforts of Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright it still produces the goods.

In a way I wish I hadn't read the other reviews - sure people must've seen a different film!? But here goes mine ....

So basically this film is a combination of the style and horror rom com of Shaun of the Dead and the 1960s dark rebellious movies such as IF , Unman Wittering and Zigo , Goodbye Mr Chips . If you've seen those films you'll get the comedy cues . If you haven't you might struggle . It also has more than a little parody of Harry Potter.

What was good about the movie ? Casting - casting a female lead who's actual name is Harmoine was genius ! Simon Pegg and Margot Robbie's failing romance . The matron was a great casting real St Trinians styling .

What was not so good ? Martin Sheen and Simon Peggs characters seem to merge into one the scripting could have been better here . It couldn't be described as horror the creatures weren't at all horrific . At times it laboured and you felt you wanted the film to end quicker .

The themes were reluctant aspiration , good over evil ,failing and seemingly unobtainable romance . Bullying . Deceit . Parental pressure . Isolation and abandonment. Tradition vs contemporary and changing times and accepting of LGBTQ's etc

It was a story of symbolism and the changing landscape of the economics of the country , whereas public schools were originally for the male elite to be shoehorned into their roles of leading the country the Slaughterhouse school ( looking a lot like Stowe ) has to reluctantly adapt itself to accepting girls and foreign students to prop up its finances .

Then there's the more sinister side of the headmaster's dealings with unethical corporations and the final retribution of triumph of good over evil.

Horror fans might be disappointed by the lack of actual horror - it certainly wasn't a movie where you'd jump out of your skin but it wasn't a bad movie and is an enjoyable watch if you go there with the right expectations . The comedy propped it up .

Pad.A 8/10 Padreviews
  • mark-34171 November 2018
    This film has been pretty comprehensively savaged - I'm in the minority who actually enjoyed it. Okay it's disjointed, but as kitsch horror nonsense - with a splendid scenery gnawing turn from Michael Sheen it worked for me. Disengage brain, enjoy a romp. May have an afterlife as camp b-movie fun when it inevitably reaches Netflix. The young cast are also good.
  • Slaughterhouse Rulez makes you feel so disappointed after going into a film not expecting much and hoping to be pleasantly surprised. It's a feeling you'd get from say, the St Trinian's movies. Which aren't very good, but they are watchable and fun enough to keep you away from the feeling that you've wasted your time.

Slaughterhouse Rulez tries to marry St Trinian's with Shaun of the Dead, which feels like the germ of a potentially fun romp, but in reality misses so many marks you just want either of those influences on the screen instead. Which isn't hard when one of those intended apes is a five-star classic.

What you get here, however, is a film that tries to capture the ridiculousness of British comedy and context with the energy of better and more ingenious filmmakers. Tries is the keyword throughout all of this film. It tries to be funny, it tries to be scary, it tries to foreshadow, it tries to have fun splatter, it tries to have meaningful characters and engaging villains.

The film tries to pack so much into it it never quite hits the mark. In its 103 minute run-time, Slaughterhouse Rulez tries to juggle multiple plot-lines that are never quite fleshed out enough, which in turn mean we never quite care enough. There are many a reference to the world building and history of what's come before the film going in, but it doesn't give us enough to really connect or think or feel.

It all just feels hollow and half-baked. Between the few good throwaway jokes and visual gags and embracing some practical horror effects (amongst boring ugly monster design), not to mention a supporting cast that sometimes shines (Simon Pegg and Nick Frost in the same film rock, but Michael Sheen once again is the scene-stealer), Slaughterhouse Rulez is otherwise another cheap attempt at British film-making unfortunately cast in the shadow of its great predecessors. It was never going to be a Shaun of the Dead, but it's so tragic that it's not even a St Trinian's.
  • This was a real mixed-bag of a film. Tries to be a horror-comedy without being particularly scary or funny and uses elements we've seen from stories set at boarding schools like this many times before.

My main issue is the film's first half which does a rather sloppy job setting up the overall story, characters and elements that lead to later payoffs. It also treats the audience like they're stupid at points, showing flashbacks of scenes that literally occurred five minutes beforehand as if we've already forgotten them. This combined with awful dialogue and an odd structure make the first 45 minutes an extremely tedious watch.

When the second half kicks in with the proper introduction of the creatures it becomes a lot more enjoyable, as it truly embraces the gore-fest it becomes. On a production side it's all fairly competent with decent direction and visual effects for the most part. All the acting is fine, with the ever-charming Simon Pegg and Asa Butterfield putting in the best performances.

Overall, if the film had a better script with some more interesting characters who don't all have surface-level motivations then this may have turned out to be a enjoyable experience. Alas, it feels like a wasted opportunity.
  • noelcorless31 October 2018
    I only saw it through until the end, because I had nothing better to do. Nick Frost was wasted. Simon Pegg was better but I've had funnier trips to the dentist.
  • You may have enjoyed the creation of the world that is Hogwart's as a pre-requisite to Harry Potter's antics. The same will be true for some viewers of this window into the culture of British boarding schools. A whole world is set up with gods (prefects), initiations and teenage hormones.

Into this is unexpectedly propelled our hero Don, who has to navigate the network of emotions of the present and former pupils, alive and less so, with only the presence of girls to keep his spirits up when suddenly it becomes apparent that there is an evil comedy horror on site.

Alex Macqueen is a treat as the baddy who cares wants to ruin the environment as is Nick Frost who wants to pollute in other ways.

There's an orgy scene that is undoubtedly the best in the canon of school films and may spawn youtube memes and some deliciously crude language and humour that would meet a frosty response from real world teachers, matrons, parents and other boring people.

There is no other film in history that contains both evil flesh eaters and a scene subtitled in Latin as a jibe at all the pretentious film buff who will no doubt give this film bad reviews as they know everything about high brow and nothing about having a good evening out.
  • zacharykieler19 April 2019
    This movie is like Feast meets Tremors meets Shaun of the Dead
  • Just come out of watching what was billed as a horror comedy. What I saw was so little of either that even Simon Pegg, Nick Frost and Michael Sheen couldn't salvage a comprehensive description of what this film is meant to be.

Expectations were always going to be high with the talent involved - a film in this genre with Pegg and Frost of course makes you think you might be about to witness a new instalment in the Cornetto trilogy - but even the performances from all involved (including Neil's dad from The Inbetweeners and a few glimpses of Margot Robbie) couldn't forge an enjoyable film.

There seems to be nothing that connects the story together. Plot threads go nowhere or end as abruptly as they were introduced. Sequences are edited to point of inducing nausea.

I'm really sorry, but I'm so disappointed by this film. My expectations weren't high going in, but it successfully limboed underneath even my lowest of expectations.

Best quote: "I don't want to die unfulfilled." - "I don't want to die a virgin." - "I don't want to die wearing Greek sandals!"
  • Pairic7 November 2018
    Slaughterhouse Rulez: This is the exclusive Public School from Hell, bullying at epic scales, mad sadistic prefects, especially Clegg (Tom Rhys-Harries), as Blake (Asa Butterfield) tells newcomer Wallace (Finn Cole): "Clegg comes from a long line of war criminals". Yes, Slaughterhouse provides the Nation with it's politicians, generals, captains of industry, spies and weirdos. Wallace is smitten by Clemsie (Hermione Corfield) but the gulf of noth class and school ranking separate them.

Fracking is taking place in the woods adjoining the school, facilitated by the links between the Headmaster "The Bat" (Michael Sheen) and Terrafrack boss (Alex Macqueen). A tribe of eco-warriors led by deranged ex-pupil Woody (Nick Frost) are out to sabotage this development. The drilling results earthquakes, sinkholes and methane gas leaks. But more than just that - monsters emerge from beneath the Earth.

A good Horror -Comedy enlivened by the totally crazy performances of the cast especially "The Bat" with his terrier Mr Chips. The fracking rig resembles Barad-dûr. Decapitations, dismemberment and people being eaten alive by the creatures are done for laughs but do provide a certain horror element. Some of the bullying is more disturbing, especially that of the younger pupils. 7/10.
  • waynen-464572 November 2018
    Walked out after an hour. Usually love Pegg and Frost's films. Save your entrance fees.
  • It's basically a private school take on Attack the Block.

Some of it is straight-up class or adolescent humour. Some of it is a little darker, which makes it interesting.

Asa Butterfield puts on the strongest performance (his character is the only one with texture). The rest of the cast maintain the pace...especially after the monsters arrive.

Pegg, Frost and Sheen are fun to watch (as ever) but the script leaves lots of space for the pupils...which makes this appealing to kids (my 15y daughter enjoyed it a lot).

It's far from pretentious...telling a good story while trying to balance about 8 characters around Finn Cole, the protagonist.

The cast seems to be having fun (until monsters get a few of them!). It's always more entertaining to watch a very British movie that does not try to take itself too seriously.

I left with a smile after a lot of giggles and a few bigger laughs...something that doesn't happen often with the increasingly intense onslaught of mega-budget, mega-franchise Hollywood blockbusters.
  • Ignore the critics - went to see this on the opening night with my wife and we both were chuckling all the way through. It is hard for a comedy to provide laughs all the way through the film but this one delivered. My favourite charcters were Asa and Michael Sheen. Michael was deliberately OTT but i really love his acting. The kids were brilliant too and I loved the dramatic ending: must have been very satisfying. Take a look, you won't regret it.
  • Really enjoyed this. Laugh out loud funny in places. A Skoda car chase?! Brilliant. And was they Catullus quotes in the orgy scene? Wonderful performances from the younger cast members. Pegg and Frost as ever brought a smile to my face. Sheehan was malignity wonderful as the headmaster. Must have had fun playing that role. All in - terrific fun.
  • Dear me, what a mess of a movie. Clichéd characters, forced jokes, insipid story. Perhaps I had high hopes for the Pegg/Frost production. They should've toned down a bit on gory bits, soften down profanities, and make an entertaining 12a movie. Younger audience would appreciate the movie more...
  • Though it is always clear and forward-moving, the story is, especially in retrospection, a little messy. 'Slaughterhouse Rulez (2018)' does feature some nice, if heavy-handed, themes and messages, but they ultimately don't amount to much more than "this is bad, isn't it?" The film also conforms quite heavily to the confines of its genre, hitting practically every cue and cliché it can while always seeming to be aware it is doing so, yet never going the extra step to satirise any of it. Still, the flick has a consistent style, several distinct characters and an excellent sense of tone, meaning that, even if it's never exactly funny (to the point of being 'laugh-out-loud', at least), it's always a lot of fun. It's an entertaining horror-comedy that works both before and after all hell breaks loose towards its final third, in which its horrors are all rendered with a wonderful, splattery practicality. The flick feels very much in the vein of the phenomenal 'Cornetto' trilogy, but, make no mistake, it doesn't come anywhere close to it in terms of quality. Despite this, it's still a very enjoyable, though pretty predictable, experience that remains engaging throughout. 7/10
  • masonsaul17 December 2018
    A good concept that is not utilised as good as it could be but still an enjoyable film, after the half way point. If you want to see the better version of this, watch Attack the Block.
    Nouveau riche north country working class lad Don gets sent to posh private school Slaughterhouse, where he is roomed with troubled Willoughby. The school has recently become co-ed, the posh old-boy head is determinedly trendy and has allowed fracking to take place in school grounds. And the fracking is disturbing aeons-old tunnels underground... Meanwhile teacher Meredith Houseman is having trouble coping with a girlfriend who has gone off to Africa, and anti-fracking campaigners are camping in the woods.

If I tell you that Simon Pegg plays Meredith and Nick Frost is leader of the drug-dealing anti-fracking hippies, you will gather that this isn't entirely serious. Indeed, Michael Sheen's deliriously silly headmaster sees him having more fun than he's had in ages. The young cast is also good, particularly Asa Butterfield as Willoughby and Tom Rhys Harries as Clegg, the Flashman equivalent.

There is a nod to Lindsay Anderson's If... but this is far broader and more comedic, albeit full of profanity and some fairly graphic violence. It is the only film I'm aware of which has an orgy scene in Latin with subtitles which, I think, is something to be treasured.

Oh, and don't be fooled by the top billing given to Margot Robbie on IMDB's listings. Yes, she's in it, but it's no more than a cameo.

The name of the school plays on Charterhouse, Porterhouse etc., other names calling out to English public schools. It could have done without the unnecessary and uncomfortably on-trend "z" and the end of Rulez, though.

Oh, by the way, as a horror spoof with fracking and English public school lampooning as the main setting, it is quite good fun.
    Meredith Houseman (Simon Pegg) is housemaster of Sparta house in Slaughterhouse school: an ancient public school establishment steering England's future greats to greatness (which probably explains a lot about the current Brexit mess!). Houseman is not in a happy place, given that his girlfriend is now in deepest darkest African doing "good works" with handsome French doctors, and particularly that she is played by Margot Robbie: I would be also be sad... #punching!

New school starter Don Wallace (Finn Cole) is equally unhappy as he is a northern teen dragooned into attending the school by his well-meaning Mum (Jo Hartley). His strange room-mate Willoughby (Asa Butterfield) seems to be a chronic depressive; he is being picked on by the prefect-bully Clegg (Tom Rhys Harries); and his bed was previously occupied by a Viscount, since deceased under unpleasant circumstances that no-one wants to talk about. At least he has the distraction of the upper-sixth school goddess Clemsie Lawrence (Hermione Corfield) to take his mind off his woes.

All this washes over "The Bat" - the school's headmaster (Michael Sheen) - since he is engrossed in some shady deal with an evil corporation doing fracking in the school grounds. The fracking though seems to be doing more than just causing a few minor earth tremors, as ancient forces are unleashed.

The movie is positioned as a "comedy/horror", along the lines of "Shaun of the Dead". The film also has Frost and Pegg as executive producers and they also have starring roles in the film. But there the similarities really end: this is a "Cornetto film" without a cone of solid chocolate lurking at the bottom to enjoy.

The script (by director Crispian Mills and first-time screenwriter Henry Fitzherbert) is nowhere near as sharp as the Frost/Pegg scripts or their famous collaborations. The story overall makes precious little sense: it's a hodge-podge of elements from many Harry Potter films (especially "The Chamber of Secrets"), Lindsay Anderson's "If..."; and Roy Boulting's "The Guinea Pig"; with also a sprinkling of the anarchic essence of Michael Palin's classic "Tomkinson's Schooldays". The whole thing never manages to gel into a cohesive whole.

After the second reel, the film completely loses sight of the plot: there's a whole lot of running, screaming and dying going on but there's little logic behind any of it that I could fathom. What didn't help my comprehension of what was going on were some 'Cornetto-esque' sequences of manic editing. Images were thrown onto the screen so subliminally that any clever nuance was lost. I'm sure at one point there was a droll (if gross) segue at a "Roman orgy" of a girl receiving oral sex before being 'eaten out' in an entirely different way. But you would need a Blu-ray and a frame-by-frame pause function to get the joke.

That's not to say that I didn't laugh a few times along the way. There are some sight gags - for example, Wooten (Kit Connor) as the lad at the bottom of the bullying pecking order, chained to a U-bend - that made me laugh, and some running jokes - for example, Frost as the head of the anti-fracking camp offering the kids drugs at every encounter - that mildly amuse. But once again here's a British comedy that, like the atrocious "The Brits are Coming", thinks that "funny" largely revolves around swearing a lot - how useful that "frack" sounds so similar to another word - with added bodily dismemberment.

As for 'the turns', Pegg and Frost ham it up with their usual comedy schtick well enough, and it was quite fun to see Sheen try a comedy role for a change as the conniving and supercilious headmaster. Elsewhere all the young cast put their hearts into it, but it's again Asa Butterfield that your eyes gravitate to, due to his striking features. I last saw Asa in the excellent if harrowing WW1 drama "Journey's End", and he here proves again that he is a One Mann's Movies 'name to watch for the future'.

Overall, there's a lot to irritate in this film. From the "z" in the title to... well... about 80% of the film. There is no nuance or subtlety to either the writing or the direction. I think that's a great shame. The film has a good premise hidden in there. An adult comedy set around the ridiculous rules and rites of public schools (away from the light nonsense of "St Trinians") is overdue. And the whole subject of fracking, and the conflicts surrounding the controversial techniques, hasn't yet - to my knowledge - been explored in a fictional movie. The film does have a few very funny moments. But as a whole I left the cinema with that "wasted two hours" feeling. Not recommended.

(For the full graphical review please check out One Mann's Movies on Facebook. Thanks).
  • Basically exactly what I wanted from this. A quirky entertaining, funny foul mouthed horror comedy with a load of over-the-top blood and gore. Could easily work as a fourth part of Edgar Wright's Cornetto films (despite Pegg & Frost not being the leads here). The film's main cast of school members are great and memorable each with their own unique personalities and the bantering, insults and some emotional moments between them are well executed and relatable. Despite not being the leads Pegg & Frost are as hilarious as usual and each have their own side stories, Martin Sheen is also great as the head master of the school. This film also was way more bloody and action focused then I expected (which is a definite positive). The soundtrack also is a standout featuring 90's indie/alt-rock and old school punk. There are a few negatives, the creature designs are generic and they are literally given zero back story at all, also some of the editing and structure of the film is a bit choppy, especially around the halfway point. I do kind of wish that this could've been directed by Edgar Wright as well because there are definite influences here. However the film is ridiculously entertaining especially if you like horror comedies and definitely worth a watch 👍🏻
  • After reading the poor reviews on here, my hopes of this being a great film were a little dashed. I still purchased my tickets and we weren't expecting much, but kept our minds open. Well, would you believe it? we all loved it. The subject matter is very current and actually, quite accurate in a comedic way. Perhaps the bad reviews are from disgruntled pro frackers, not wanting more bad publicity. I would not describe Slaughterhouse as clichéd, it is a parody. This is not a scary film, it is quite funny, but overall it's just great entertainment. I love the Cornetto Trillogy, Worlds End, being one that became more enjoyable each time I watched it. Slaughterhouse Rules is easily as good.
  • markhappyboy20 February 2019
    Ok so movie never made me laugh out loud, but It was bloody well fun to watch ! Unlike a lot of recent comedies. Crazy Rich Asians, The breaker upperers a total torture fest!
  • iangibbons12 November 2018
    Very disappointed, jokes were lame, FROST AND PEGG, seemed to go through the motions. Weak plot, bad acting, poor effects. The end didn't come fast enough for me. Nowhere near the standards of the corner to trilogy. Wish I'd waited for it to be on tv for a wet Sunday afternoon when songs of praise and other rubbish is on tv.
  • I went in after seeing the reviews - which were bad - but it was actually great full of references and homages. It was really funny. At times it was shakey and it you shouldn't compare it to the Cornetto trilogy but you'll have a good time anyway.
  • meebee-5737625 May 2019
    Firstly this is a B movie. Don't go into it expecting amazing plots, storyline and Oscar winning performances. It's cheesy, fun and is full of predictable lines. Secondly its British, every stereotype is going in there. The cocky northern common lad who isn't good enough, fracking, jokes about politics, public schools ect. It's like Simon peggs early work but with a budget. Enjoyable and a good romp, will probably be a cult classic once it hits streaming services