• sylvie-555079 October 2018
    Could have been a good movie, acting in some instances is terrible, others not so bad. The story line is unusual but poorly executed.
    So much like a roleplaying adventure in GDW: Dark Conspiracy game. Aliens are here! At first we can't live with them... Then we have to try and learn to live with them, because, like John Carpenter's "Thing", you never know who is who... or what. Loads of stuff borrowed from "Alien", and a little from "Arrival". Some cringe moments when there is cardboard acting, and speech is delivered without emotion or emphasis. Omissions will leave you saying "WHAT???". What happens during the critical event that they cut away from. ??? Makes no sense building up suspense, only to cut AWAY from critical elements that could then affect plot! Nope. Totally omitted. Eventually it seems more like an extended pilot in a TV series, than a stand alone film.
  • TheLittleSongbird12 November 2018
    My main reasons for seeing 'Shangri-La: Near Extinction' were an intriguing title and concept, that it was part of my low-budget film quest after being recommended to me by IMDb in my recommended for you section and as someone trying to see as many 2018 films as possible.

The good news about 'Shangri-La: Near Extinction' is that there have been worse films seen by me throughout my life and recently, ones that are even more amateurish, intelligence insulting and ones that blatantly rip off infinitely superior films more cheaply. The bad news is that that doesn't stop 'Shangri-La: Near Extinction' from being very bad.

Am trying to be a fair reviewer trying to see the good in everything viewed, as always. It is very hard to do that here with so many badly executed elements, that look as if little effort was made. The least bad asset is the scenery which did have atmosphere.

Visually, 'Shangri-La: Near Extinction' looks incredibly cheap even for something made on a low budget. It's very drably and sometimes dizzyingly shot, incoherently edited (bacon-slicer-like) with glaring and unforgivably sloppy continuity errors. Even worse are some of the most laughable and pathetic-looking special effects to be seen on celluloid, actually looking they were done as an afterthought and on the small remainder of the money they had left. Nothing menacing or threatening and there are no surprises.

Can remember little about the music, which tended to be intrusive, annoying and out of place. The script is so awkward, cheesy and improvisatory-sounding that it is enough to make the toes curl in how awful it is. The ending is very predictable and pretty contrived.

There is absolutely nothing thrilling, tense, suspenseful, emotionally investable or fun about the story. The predictability may have been forgivable if the film was actually engaging let alone exciting but it fails to be either throughout. 'Shangri-La: Near Extinction' is basically non-stop dullness and intelligence-insulting ridiculousness, with unintentional humour because of the excessive cheese, bouts of mawkish and stilted melodrama and irritating character behaviours that makes one endear to them even less in a film with not one interesting or rootable character. Hated the sister especially.

As for the acting it ranges from borderline-okay to appalling, some try to engage with their material but the worst of the acting is so embarrassing one questions whether they had any acting lessons.

In conclusion, not one of the worst films seen recently or ever but very bad. 2/10 Bethany Cox
    The plot is read and then built in flashbacks. This is not recommended unless you have a really great cast, plot, and special effects. I can understand "the hate." This feature appears to be the first in a series, which shouldn't be too bad because everyone is introduced.

The year is 2549 and the world is in a manmade ice age that started in 2045. In 2019 pharmaceutical company HEZUO was experimenting with creating a creature for the military that could be programmed to target an individual or group of individuals based on their DNA. Can only guess why the 2019 administration would want that. The odd thing is that they are collaborating with China and Moscow. (Now we know what Trump was talking to Putin about at Helsinki.)

The creature develops intellect and eventually escapes and takes over a human body as a host. They are called "Konglings." The government attempted to kill them with a satellite light beam (after a failed vaccine attempt) that won't harm humans but will kill the Konglings. This light beam caused a world ice age...a little sketchy on those details.

The characters we get to know are a group of Konglings attempting to survive, hence the creatures wanting to kill and replace mankind are the protagonists. Each one has its own special "gift." They have to fight off the military, mutant bats, the elements, look for food and each other. As it turns out the Konglings are not are united either and after 500 years has formed cults that are at odds.

The series has the potential to be interesting with some decent soundtrack and editing. In one scene they go into a bay. They are looking for emergency power. The camera pans to the ceiling where we see a number of large lights that are turned on. He reports "No sign of power and electricity." It appears the folks doing the editing have no idea what the scene is about. This type of Ed Wood nonsense kills a film. Take it back, Edit it. Get some decent swagger music.

Guide: No F-words. Brief nudity. Male butts and blurred breasts. And they all sleep together nude or near nude. What was that?
  • I admit I only made it about 20 minutes into the video. All of it up to that point had been shot inside a warehouse somewhere. The described events didn't match up with the video. Looked more like a walk through of the script without any set design. I would guess they have invested about 5 grand in costume and warehouse rental. Don't waste your time.
  • First off this is really a B rated flick. With that said it left me hoping for a part 2, 3 and so on. Yes there was some poor acting. Yes the back story was odd. Still the story and potential for future movies is wide open. Most of this movie was explaining the back story, character development and showing the many different factions. Without posting any spoilers the ending makes me believe they will make more. That is assuming there is a budget. Dont be set back by poor reviews. These types of movies are hard for some people to rate fairly. You have to enjoy the "end of the world" style movies to be a far and rate based on other movies of this type.
  • I tried, I really did. I think maybe the folks saying it "could" have been good may be right. It's just that I couldn't figure out how. Definitely not the worst movie I've ever seen.
  • This delightful take on a familiar trope suffers from stilted dialogue that hampers an otherwise engaging cast, good cinematography, decent wardrobe design, and well-done splatter.