• Set in suburban Rome, this is the true story of Stefano Cucchi, who was arrested for possession of drugs, then fell victim to police brutality. Sounds familiar, even boring, I've-seen-it-all-before fare? Far from it, this is no white Rodney King story, there is no morale here, no heroes or anti-heroes, just a dysfunctional police & penal system and its victims. And the movie? Simply, this is one of the best films produced by the ailing Italian cinema of the 2000s. A grueling, insanely gritty, claustrophobic, intense thriller, boosted by an array of painfully brilliant performances and the documentaristic, crammed with close-ups, direction - reminiscent of Kassowitz's work in La Haine. This is an absolute tour de force. If you're even remotely interested in great storytelling, do not miss it.
  • Police officers using shameful techniques to extort confessions, an expeditious and dehumanized justice, a minimalist and indifferent prison medicine, ... Thus, we helplessly witness a slow but inescapable descent into hell. As sad as true.
    Wow! So I watched On My Skin only having read the one sentence synopsis on Netflix, after seeing it listed as a suggestion on the assignment list. I thought to myself, this sounds interesting - guy spends a bad week in prison, based on true events. I typically like crime shows and things based on true events. Having not been familiar with this story or the time period where hundreds died in prisons from bad treatment, I was in for quite a shock. Within the first few minutes you see a man dead in a jail hospital... then they go back a week and start telling the events leading up to his death. I remained hopeful throughout the film that Stefano would recover and go on to fight against the unjustness of the system. I was way off. He indeed died and the way he was treated was terrible. This actor was great, he really made me feel for him. I was really crushed when he noted to the social worker that it wasn't that he didn't want treatment, he just wanted treatment after he spoke with his lawyer. I didnt understand the mindset of him refusing to be helped just to try and speak with the police. then again I wasn't beaten to death by the police. And so many knew the truth yet didn't stand up to the a abusive cops. Very eye opening story.
  • It's my first review here on IMDb. I saw this movie today and I had really felt the pain lived by the Cucchi's family. The acting is awesome, assuming that Alessandro Borghi is a superb actor (he played Aureliano in Suburra). In Italy, where I live, the death of Stefano Cucchi has been a matter for many years and it's still today. All hail to Netflix, trying to "do justice" to this judicary case.

A must see, to understand better what Italy really is.
  • I don't write reviews, even after having seen unforgettable masterpieces. But this time, I have to.

And the reason is Alessandro Borghi. I was first mesmerised by his work in "Suburra: La Serie" and wanted more, so decided to give this a chance, and his performance here is nothing short of transcendent. I don't say this lightly, but it's up there with the work of Daniel Day Lewis in "There Will Be Blood" in quality and realism.

The film portrays the real life events surrounding the arrest of Stefano Cucchi, a low life addict. While in jail, he suffers a beating at the hands of the arresting officers, and that's where the film takes a turn from any standardised narrative you'd expect - the closest thing I can recall was "Fruitvale Station", but I'd claim that this is more powerful and even better acted. The humanity and authenticity captured by the director and cast is closer to the neo-Iranian cinema, than any Hollywood produced movie.

In my humble opinion, Borghi may be the greatest working actor in the world right now, and his tour de force in this picture is a monumental achievement, up there with the best performances in the last few decades.

Highly recommended.
  • julian15816 September 2018
    Absolutely superb film with great acting in the lead role from Alessandro Borghi. If I'm honest as it opened I was sure I was going to like it the dubbing was noticeable. But as the film continued it was an absolutely brilliant film, based on true events. Well worth a watch. RIP Stefano may your killers, and those who contributed be brought to justice.
  • daliyahlainez12 May 2020
    Normally I would say this is more of my thing, especially being on Netflix and having that documentary type of feel by being based on a true story, etc. I felt very sorry for Stefano and wanted to learn more about him and what happened after watching this film - we hear about police brutality and things of that nature all of the time, but of course I had never heard of Stefano Cucchi before. I don't really like any of the gory stuff, whether it's gory movies, gory clips, gory pictures, etc. It just never sits right with me. This film was no exception, but it was a different type of film than all the other Italian produced films that I've been watching, and it just goes to show that all people, no matter who, face the same challenges in life and everyone we go there will always be corrupt systems, corrupt people, and victims.
  • There is no doubt that Alessandro Borghi is one of the most talented Italian actors. I discovered him in Suburra. I loved his acting there. Here in Sulla mia Pelle he plays Stephano Cucchi young man accused of narcotics possession in 2009. Based on real events, the movie is hard to watch but a must. A solid 8/10.
  • t-viktor21213 September 2018
    "Sulla mia pelle" seems to follow the conventional style of post-Gomorra Italian crime/drama films. Even though we all already knew the story, it is a great Netflix Original, albeit not an outstanding one.

"Sulla mia pelle" could be compared to Ryan Coogler's Fruitvale Station, both in themes and structure: both films focus on recent cases of police abuse, and unwrap their plot through a short period (which is one day for Coogler's film, one week for Cremonini's).

While the Cucchi case had enormous mediation relevance in Italy, I wouldn't dare to call it an "incredible true story", albeit an important case of crime perpetuated by the police. Similarly, I wouldn't say that Sulla mia pelle is a masterpiece of a film, but definitely a good film. Due to the subject, I doubt it could have been any better than how it turned out.

Ever since Garrone's "Gomorra", that was released in 2008, Italian crime movies seem to have adopted a particular style, distinct from their American counterparts. Although "Suburra", "A Ciambra", or "Dogman" all share decadent settings, dark environments, crude violence, certain common cinematographic and coloring techniques. Sulla mia pelle seems to follow their style, while being thematically more of an 'inquiry' film. It is also a 'slow' film: there is virtually no action whatsoever.

Even though there wasn't any gorgeous setting (as, for instance, in Suburra), I think the cinematography was great, pushed to the best it could be, despite the locations mostly being prison cells or police offices.

In terms of acting, Borghi attempted to do the required transformation for the role, by visibly losing weight, and also worked heavily on his accent, in order to make it as close to Cucchi's one as possible. The end credits let the viewer hear the original recording of a court hearing for comparison. A great performance, but not as dazzling as his work in Sollima's Suburra. Still, he qualifies once again as a talented emerging actor, who I'd like to see more often in films. Borghi, however, doesn't really resemble Cucchi so much as Jasmine Trinca resembles Ilaria Cucchi, Stefano's sister. We frequently saw the real Ilaria in the news, and the similarity is so impeccable, that it almost made me wish to see more of her in the film, even though the focus was not on her.

"Sulla mia pelle" is a valid film in technical terms. It is overall a good film, and I would put it up there together with "Dogman" and "Loro" as one of the best Italian films of the year so far, but lacks some elements that could have made it an ethernal masterpiece.
  • Don't expect something flashy and fancy here. A movie with no heroes, just an amazing movie based on real events with magnificent performances and an exceptional soundtrack. Sit there, enjoy the movie. Don't expect a happy ending with justice, vengeance and payback. Feel the pain. Be emphatetic with the main character and try to help him, even if you can't. Not to many movies have the touch to tell a story this way without the gigantic budget, the overrated performers and the exagerated promo.That's life; a chain of huge errors.
  • clintstevens22 September 2018
    Although the pacing of this movie is very slow, one must realize it is based on facts and not flash. And the facts are so tragic.

Alessandro Borghi did a spectacular job of acting the main character and it was amazing to watch his transformation from a healthy man to a cadaverous damaged soul.
  • issachantel11 May 2020
    On my skin is such a great movie i absolutely loved this movie so much , this is an italian drama. If you like movies that are based on true stories you will definitely love this one . It is based on Stefano Cucchi who tragically died in the custody of the italian system. It shows what happened within the last seven days of his life and how everything went down, the movie has several dark and powerful scenes. It is really an eye opener to the cabinieri brutality but also very sad. Honestly this movie made me cry , it is a very dark and emotional movie. The actors are very good and do an amazing job of acting so strong in their persona and overall the movie is very real and raw . It really makes you ponder on the things that can be swept under the rug . It really is touching yet chilling.
  • nicolapreto18 September 2018
    Wonderful film and acting, reflection one of the worst page of Italian history
  • heat-7448122 August 2019
    Superb directing & brilliant acting. This film is based on true events highlighting police brutality amongst a few bad apples and the consequences of.
  • Very good acting. Best movie i've seen in 2019 so far! Facts in the end of the movie are sad and confronting.
  • rowlands_3611 October 2018
    Excellent movie, while very hard to watch it still is the truth of what happens to this poor young man
    This is a truly sad and depressing film about Stefano, a young ex-junkie who is arrested with small quantitities of pot and cocaine. During his search, he falls victim to police brutality acts and gets seriousy injured. The rest of the film consists of the odyssey of Stefano, who is slowly surrendering his body and spirit to pass away, a week after his arrest and while he is still in custody. The movie certainly raises questions about the misuse of power from the authorities but above all is a painful account of the last days of a young man and the parent's reaction to Stefano's tough journey. The film has a very slow tempo, placing the emphasis to the protagonist's emotions. ''Sulla Mia Pelle'' is certainly not a movie for everybody and the viewer should be expecting a deeply melancholic and gloomy atmospehere, no action and a disturbing true story which is difficult to digest.
  • Alessio Cremonini, the director have created a masterpiece here with this true story about a man that is played by Alessandro Borghi in an Oscar worthy performance, he won a David di Donatello award for best male actor which possibly is the Italian equivalent to the Oscar. Such a moving, beautiful and just extraordinary performance that brought respect to the man he plays and his family. The director who also served as the producer and writer did something special here, giving us a clear understanding of what is happening and what we got is a claustrophobic movie that feels too real and it couldn't be better.

Honestly one of the best movies I've seen this year, 2020. This will be one of those memorable movies you'll think back on how emotional and well made it was, a true masterpiecer!
  • ahmedgazar13 September 2018
    Good story with epic scenario with a lot of tragic events. the cast was suitable to their roles.
  • danterosino10 May 2020
    After taking the time to watch the film, On My Skin, I realized The law enforcement in Italy is not so different from the law enforcement many are forced to endure here in America. Initially Stefano Cucchi was arrested for possession of drugs, but before Stefano can even reach his court date or speak to his lawyer he is seriously beaten by the same officers who made the arrest. From here, the movie follows a very injured Stefano who is eventually hospitalized and is never allowed to speak to his lawyer despite the countless times he asks. The movie also shows his parents and sisters point of view being outside the prison and unable to see their son. Eventually, Stefano succumbs to his injuries and passes away and it is only then Stefano's parents are finally able to see him. This was a very clear example of why the prison system needs to be reworked, and sooner than later. The amount of foul play taking place behind closed doors is unacceptable and inhumane. I hope stories like Stefano Cucchi's continue to be heard and cause a change in our world's corrupt system.
  • kosmasp27 March 2019
    You know how they say that jail can conform people? How they say that it might do some people good? Hopefully you are also aware that it does more people harm than it does good. And there are humans who are just not cut out for that. Now you may ask, why do they do something criminal in the first place? We are all not perfect and there is also a different bar when it comes to crimes, those who commit them and who gets prison time for them - like different punishments - look no further than the US jail system (many documentaries on that subject to find and watch).

Having said all that, this is not just hypothetical, this is something that really happenend with an individual - something that will leave you at the edge of your seat. And no it is not a documentary, but more or less an accurate reenactment of what happened. Not all questions will be answered (with some comparisons and "news" to what happened in the real world after the movie ended) - but that's how life is. While frustrating, hopefully you don't see it as flaw of the movie
    I do not have a Netflix account (yet), so I rarely see films protected by the ecosystem of this kind of broadcast. Luckily, a few movies like 'Roma', which was also presented in Cannes and now this 'Sulla mia pelle' (the English title is 'On My Skin: The Last Seven Days of Stefano Cucchi'), which was presented at the Venice Festival last year, enjoyed a limited broadcast on the screens of cinema theaters. The fragmentation of cinematic distribution creates 'islands' and makes comparisons difficult, but this is a long and complicated discussion. What I can say is that the film directed by Alessio Cremonini approaches in an original way the genre of docu-drama, bringing to the viewers a committed view and a firm opinion about a case that is still under way in the Italian actuality.

Nearly ten years ago, in October 2009, a 31-year-old Italian, named Stefano Cucchi, was arrested by the Italian carabinieri, being suspected of drugs possession and trafficking. Despite coming from a 'normative' family, he had a criminal record, and had been hospitalized for rehabilitation of drug addiction. The judge decided that he should be detained until the investigation was completed. For a whole week his family was unable to get in touch with him or get news about his condition, he did not meet with a lawyer, and after seven days the family was informed that the young man had died. The autopsy showed the cause of death as a combination of blows received at the beginning of detention and disastrous medical treatment in the penitentiary system hospitals. Years later, some of the doctors involved were sentenced to small suspended sentences, but the police officers who were involved in the arrest and are suspected of having beaten and having caused the injuries that ultimately led to the death of the young man, were inducted only during the last year. The trial is still under way.

These are the facts as known from the news. The film presents for the most part the events of the last week of Stefano Cucchi's life from his perspective, with some interludes in which we are witnessing the family's efforts to find out what is his situation and to help him. This is actually a reconstitution. We understand that the young man was not a saint, in fact he was guilty of what the police suspected about him, and he was trying to hide details that could have indicted him. We can speculate whether drug trafficking is a minor or major crime, but of course the young man did not deserve to die in detention, not to be beaten, he had to be provided medical care and allowed contact with his lawyer. The causes of his death seem to be a combination of systemic problems in the Italian justice and penitentiary systems, combined with the indifference and personal negligence of many involved. Such a thing should not happen in a modern justice system in a European democratic country. Director Alessio Cremonini, along with lead actor Alessandro Borghi and the rest of the actor's team, describe in a very credible and dramatic manner the descending spiral towards the inferno of a young man who obviously made mistakes but did not deserve death. The cool rendering of the police station and prison hospitals is frightening. Great cinema job. There is however a question to be asked. I have no reason to challenge the depth and seriousness of the documentation. However, does not the firm approach taken by this well made docu-drama risk to pronounce an early judgment in a case still under way?
  • kegler1122 September 2018
    The voice dub was obvious and it lacked action, fortunately the excellent acting, the true storyline and lack of subtitles made this a great Italian film.
  • Humans hate to accept the fact that humans are after all just Human. Humans make mistakes, humans can let emotion, anger, fear, corruption, power and much more take over their actions. Humans have a habit of taking out their own frustrations on others especially when given almost Unlimited power and then justify their actions with law or lies. This is true for so called Honourable Judges, barristers, lawyers, doctors, so many more and especially Police. It only takes a good police officer to turn a blind eye once to also be a bad one. RIP
  • This film is difficult to watch. Based on a true story. The central character goes through many hardships. It is damning with little or no recourse. Not sure I can recommend it.