• The first 2 hours is only for lovers of everything late 60s retro,great cinematography and outstanding acting.The last 45 minutes fasten your seatbelts because classic Tarantino kicks in.
    I love Tarantino. I was super excited to see this. The movie started. And then it went. And I waited for the plot. And then it came and went within the last 15 minutes of the film. Then I left confused and a little disappointed.

The movie just felt like Tarantino wanted to show off how much he knows about film history and how nostalgic the old Hollywood made him feel. The acting was amazing. The cinematography was amazing. The storyline just wasn't there though. I want to say I loved it so bad but it just felt so flat to me.

The characters didn't really develop at all. Leo's character just kind of changed halfway through with only a narration as to why he was different. Brad Pitts character was the exact same the entire film. Margot Robbie's characters development was that she finally said like 20 words at the very end.

The ending was the most enjoyable part without a doubt. That felt like a classic Tarantino scene. The rest of it though just felt like a normal movie. The dialogue didn't feel like him to me for the most part, with the exception of a few scenes. The soundtrack was phenomenal and caught the vibe of the movie flawlessly.

Maybe I was just hoping for more or maybe I missed out on something. It was an enjoyable movie, but it just felt off to me. I really hope he will make a final movie to end his career with a bang, because this is not the one
    Here's why not everyone will like this movie: it's not like all of Tarantino's other movies, and it's not like any modern movies either. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is a melancholy, slow burning, comedic love letter to an age of Hollywood that we find ourselves disconnect from nowadays.

The point of this movie isn't to be just like Pulp Fiction and tell stories that have no meaning. In fact, I would argue that Tarantino wants each and every story to have a meaning. Rick Dalton (Leonardo DiCaprio) is a faded action star struggling to hold onto his career and fame. Every scene he was in was enjoyable, as he internally argues with himself to be better than he is. He can't find work except for as a typecast villain, and turns down an offer to go overseas initially because he thinks it's too far a step down from his past career. Dalton's story was not as fun to me as his stunt double, Cliff Booth's (Brad Pitt), but I will get to that in a minute. Dalton's story, some will say, was boring, overdrawn, and pointless. I say it was the most important and interesting storyline in the movie. Rick is an alcoholic, and deals with a lot of anger towards himself, particularly in his trailer (you'll see what I mean), and the long scenes showing him act out his part as the villain in the western are extremely entertaining as DiCaprio does some brilliant work letting us see Dalton as an actor without losing touch with him by slipping into acting of his own. He finally decides to go overseas, but most of that time is spent in a montage. When he returns, he dons a new Italian wife and an entirely new fashion straight from Europe. He doesn't do much towards the end, except for burn a manson follower alive in his pool, and then he finally becomes friends with his neighbors. I'll also get to that when I talk about Sharon Tate. Rick is representative of Hollywood at the time of 1969, and unless you are familiar with film history, that will be lost on you. In 1969 movies like Easy Rider, Bonnie and Clyde, and The Graduate were changing the face of Cinema by eroding censorship codes and finally getting the studios to hand the reigns to directors, thus entering the age of auterism. Actors like Rick were becoming absolete in film for a number of reasons, but mainly that they hadn't had to search for work whilst under the studio system, they just signed a contract and found work immediately. Roman Polanski, his neighbor, was one of the directors that was now given a lot of free reign in this age, . Dalton's character expressed the frustration many probably felt at the time, and Tarantino built a character that was beautifully acted by DiCaprio.

Cliff Booth on the other hand, was the most Tarantino character in the movie. I think he'll be the fan favorite, because he requires no historical context or empathy to understand. He's a stunt double who lives much worse than his star, Dalton, and is a no-no sense badass with a muddled past. His scenes were incredibly fun, as Pitt brought a certain energy to each scene that glued you to the screen waiting for his next move. Particularly at the end, when Tex had him at gunpoint and he was tripping on acid. Obviously he had the situation under control, but we as the audience have no idea until he sicks the dog on them. Booth was a character you expect to see in a Tarantino movie. None of his storyline was used for what people will say is "pointless", mainly because he is the most involved with the Manson clan.

Interestingly, the Manson clan is hardly shown in the movie. Charles himself only shows up twice, and only says a few words. I actually like this choice, because it left a lingering thought that perhaps Manson was a danger at all times, and didn't play to the audience the way we thought it would. It wasn't a story about the Manson murders. Manson just happened to be going on at the time Dalton and Booth were having their struggles, and it intersected.

Which brings me to my last point, and that is of Sharon Tate (Margot Robbie). Her role, while a tad less utilized than I expected, was Central because the real life Tate was murdered by the Manson clan. If you go in as an audience member with that knowledge, you go the whole movie waiting for something to happen to her, and it never does. Tate herself was a happy, blooming actress who spent time with friends and danced (a lot). This carefree manner was underlying a want to be famous, as she tells people who she is and is clearly disappointed when they don't recognize her. Tate plays a role in this story of showing the era of actors now replacing Rick Dalton, and also showing special to Hollywood, the silver screen's allure. As this is essentially a long love letter to Hollywood, Tarantino pens what drew him to the screen through Tate.

With all of its references, obscure or in your face, there is a delicious amount to absorb, especially for cinefiles. Tarantino has the viewer to sit back, eat up the screen, and imagine we are right there with the characters in a wonderfully painted portrait of a Hollywood long gone. This movie will be misunderstood because of the expectations for the Manson murders, and because audiences nowadays expect action on every corner, which Tarantino's name can be attached to in some capacity. Without any crazy special effects to speak, simply a fantastic script and acting, I think many audience members will get bored or not understand why it's entertaining to others. I personally think it's one of Tarantino's best, if not his absolute best, and will stand the test of time for movie lovers everywhere. Agree or disagree, we all have to admit that Brad Pitt's dog was awesome.
    I have seen this film twice in the last two days, I probably will see it many more times.Tarantino has shocked and surprised me before, but this was the biggest shock of all. The movie is set in the Hollywood of 1969, just before the brutal Manson family murders.

Leonard Dicaprio and Brad Pitt give career high performances. Dicaprio is Rick Dalton, a TV cowboy actor who longs for movie stardom but has now hit the skids. Pitt plays Cliff Booth his stunt double/driver and all around best bud. They also represent doubles of each other in real life, though Dalton is angry and frustrated at his failings in life while Booth is perfectly happy to be his pal's gopher and handyman. There is good recreations of TV westerns of the time, Dalton had been the star of "Bounty Law" a show that never existed but is clearly based on Steve McQueen's "Wanted Dead Or Alive" series. Dalton is now playing guest role villains on TV. An actual series "Lancer" is recreated here, I never saw this show when it aired since it was on up against "The Mod Squad" in the late 1960s and early 1970s. Dalton has some funny and touching scenes opposite a precocious 8 year old actress while doing the "Lancer" episode. The late Luke Perry has his final film appearance in these scenes also.

Margot Robbie has an almost magical presence playing actress Sharon Tate. Tate unfortunately is best known today as the most famous of the Manson family murder victims. We see not only how beautiful she was but also how good and kind she was as well. One of my favorite scenes is when she goes to a movie theater to watch "The Wrecking Crew" a film she made in 1968 with Dean Martin. We see actual clips of the movie, (with the real Sharon Tate) and cuts back to her reactions, she becomes delighted when the audience laughs at her comedy bits and applauds at her fight scene with Nancy Kwan.

The film starts to turn dark when Cliff picks up a teenage girl hitchhiker who wants to be taken to Spahn Ranch, a run down movie set where he once worked. I have read nearly everything about the Manson case, so I knew where it was going now. Cliff sees a bunch of mostly hippie girls hanging around and asks if George Spahn the original owner of the ranch still lives there. The scenes at the ranch are quietly disturbing. Dakota Fanning (I did not recognize her) plays Squeaky, one of the real life Manson girls. Her vacant eyes and cold manner make for some suspenseful moments. Cliff is concerned about his old friend George and demands to see him. He finds him now old and blind (Bruce Dern in a great cameo) but at least alive. Cliff is still suspicious but leaves the ranch.

The final act comes up for the biggest shock of all. Rick has returned from several months filming some spaghetti westerns in Italy.He has also gotten married to an Italian actress. It is now August 8 1969. Cliff and his faithful pit bull Brandy are staying the night at Rick's house. Sharon Tate and some of her friends arrive at her home (which is right next door to Rick) to spend the evening together. Then Manson followers Charles "Tex" Watson, Patricia "Katie" Krenwinkel, Susan "Sadie" Atkins and Linda Kasabian are driving up the road. I knew what was coming and was dreading this moment, I was hoping that Tarantino would not show the gruesome murders but I was preparing myself. Then Rick hears them driving up and has an angry altercation with them, then I was a bit surprised that real life characters were suddenly intermingling with fictional characters on a night when a horrible historic moment happened. When Rick goes into the house, the killers suddenly realize that he was the star of the TV show "Bounty Law". Then psycho Sadie goes on a rant about how TV showed her generation how to kill by showing murders every week on the small screen. I had heard some Manson followers had actually said this. Linda is too scared to go with the other three and takes the car keys and drives off leaving them. Another change in the real story, Linda did not participate in the murders but did stay with them, so once again I am getting bewildered. Tex, Sadie and Katie than decide to go to Rick's house rather than Sharon's. I am wondering are they now going to kill them also? Then the most surprising thing happens, Cliff, his pit bull and Rick decide to fight back against these scummy creeps leaving them to be battered and massacred. Brandy has some great scenes as one of the most heroic dogs I have seen in film. My head was reeling by this time, I kept thinking "Are they really doing this?" Then came the ending, Rick is now safe, Cliff injured but alive. And now Rick gets to meet his next door neighbor Sharon and her friends. I am still in shock but then for the first time we see the title on screen "Once Upon A Time... In Hollywood" and then I finally get it, this is a Hollywood story not real life, this is what we wish would have happened.

I finally had to see the film again for a second time so I could actually enjoy that climatic scene, without the dread and confusion I had the first time. This is a phenomenal work, like nothing I have ever seen and probably never will again.
    It reminds me of that old fable. People go to see Brad Pitt and Leonardo DiCaprio in a film by Tarantino and assume it has to be great despite what they are actually seeing on the screen.. The film is incredibly slow paced and neither funny nor suspenseful. Throwing in a 5 minute fantasy violent scene at the end after over two hours of boredom did NOT make me change my mind.. Sadly disappointing to this fan of most Tarantino films.
  • Cinematography - great, acting - great. Music- reused already written works. Plot - none. Just almost 3+ hours worth of some random scenes stiched together without leading anywhere. Watched it twice. Has not changed my opinion. By the time it ended I did not care anymore, I just wanted to pee!!! After sitting there for almost 3 hours. What was the point of this movie? Still wondering. One of the Tarantino's worst (if not worst!).
  • If a no name writer came with such non-sense, their script would've hit the bin within the first ten pages. The script mocks every theory on character and plot development. Yet, the same gurus who would trash a rookie script writer for bringing anything less then perfect, are bowing now in humble awe to the great QT. This in not about double standards, but about Hollywood having no standards at all.
  • If this script (if it could be said to be a script) had not been from Tarantino, it would have never reached theaters (and perhaps not even on cable television movies).

Long, boring and pointless.
  • I LOVE QT films and couldn't see this movie fast enough. All I can say is what was that all about? It was so boring. Did anyone edit this film? Leonardo's character was not likable. The only person tolerable was Brad Pitt. Nothing happened what so ever. The dialogue was not clever. The movie never went anywhere at all. It was just endless scenes of other movies being made. People driving in cars. Bare feet over kill. By the time the ending happened I didn't care anymore. I wanted to LOVE this movie, but I haven't been this bored in a long long time. I wish i felt differently.
  • All this critical acclaim for this film (mainly because it's a Tarantino one) is so baffling. So what's wrong with it? For a start nothing actually happens throughout until the last 10 minutes. It's a slow, turgid, self congratulatory affair with drawn out scenes and tons of tips of the cap to the 'era' - through the soundtrack and product placement of 1960s packaging, or 'real life' characters like Sam Wannamaker's appearance - that just aren't needed. They even splice Di Caprio into the Great Escape as a 'what if?' moment...but all for what? Just Hollywood slapping itself on the back again about being Hollywood.

There were genuine tense moments like when Pitt's character visits the Manson family allotment that turn into a damp squib. Again why was that scene so long? Why did they spend so much time on Di Caprio playing the baddy in the western but no time at all on his character's move to Italy (apart from the fact Tarantino wanted to imagine what 1960s spaghetti western posters would've looked like with DiC in them!). And what was the point of Al Pacino? Or Sharon Tate's character for that matter once you see the ending....?

This was a missed opportunity that could've been a great piece on an actor's dwindling career that just turned into a boring series of sort of linked scenes...albeit quite well acted ones. Tarantino is become the new Woody Allen...actors want one of his films on their resume despite the fact he hasn't made a good one in so long
  • gailmck-6222416 August 2019
    After all the hype around this film I was sorely disappointed. With an A List cast, as it had, it should have been Gold. The acting was terrific by Brad Pitt, Leonardo and Margot Robbie. The storyline sadly fell short, way short. The era was captured really well however I sat through the first hour thinking it was painting the scene and that the real action would start. I kept thinking that until the last 20 minutes when things finally came together, however, that was nearly 3 hours of film to sit through before any real appearance of the film I was expecting.
  • SuperVillainTX31 July 2019
    I can't spoil this movie because there's nothing to spoil!!! No plot. Nothing happens. If I submitted this same screenplay to Hollywood it would get rejected.
  • I don't typically leave IMDb reviews but this film deserves so much praise for its risky screenplay in such a dark true crime setting.

For 2 hrs, 41 minutes, I was taken 50 years back, experiencing Hollywood's film industry as a comedic drama filled with desire, tension and everyday life.

I liked Brad's character the most, but Leo easily matched with his own performance. A definite see-it-in-theatres watch. Bring your sense of humor though. There are lines of dialogue and laugh out loud bits that completely satisfy your curious mind. Expect everything you would from Tarantino, but also what you wouldn't.

I gave it a perfect 10 because I forgot I was watching a nearly 3 hour film, even though it still wasn't long enough for me. I would like to see a director's cut up to an hour longer as I think this is a unique case that extra footage would only help such an already powerful story.

I had the privilege to watch an early 70mm screening of this film at the cinerama dome with the director, Tarantino, in the audience. It was a surreal experience I'll never forget.
  • Where to start? The end credits !

Possibly the most boring, self indulgent rubbish I've ever seen. No plot to speak of, disjointed bits and pieces lumped together with no thought or consideration of any editing.

I question how this ever got made, no one other than QT would have gotten away with this.

Spoiler free review as nothing happens to spoil !!!
  • DiCaprio and Pitt collaborate with Tarantino once again for the directors ninth (and supposedly penultimate) feature film as writer/director. Set in 1969 Hollywood, the film follows fading actor Rick Dalton (DiCaprio) and his loyal stunt double Cliff Booth (Pitt) as they navigate their way through the absurdities of Hollywood life. Inbetween their exploits we follow Sharon Tate (Robbie), who gleefully indulges in all the fun and glamour that Tinseltown has to offer. I'm a big Tarantino fan, so naturally my expectations for Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood were high. What a shame it is then to report his ninth feature is an uneven, average affair that doesn't live up to the brilliance of his previous efforts.

Both DiCaprio and Pitt make for a great pairing, and they both carry the film even throughout its most sluggish moments. Margot Robbie is sadly wasted in the film as Tarantino gives her practically nothing of worth to work with, resulting in what feels more like an over glorified cameo as opposed to a legitimate role worth playing. Narratively speaking, the film is uneven and at times tedious to sit through. Tarantino is known for his engaging storylines, intriguing characters and sharp dialogue, but none of that is to be found here. Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood doesn't really have a cohesive storyline, emphasized largely by the elimination of chapter breakdowns, a storytelling technique Tarantino is widely known for. At its core, it's a celebration of Hollywood moviemaking during the sixties and an exploration into the relationships between actors and their stunt doubles. While there are a handful of noteworthy scenes to be found here, they aren't enough to save the film from being a pretty average affair. Technically speaking the film is very well made and contains great shot composition along with a solid soundtrack. Unfortunately, there just aren't many ideas on display worthy of hanging a feature film on, making for a disappointing outing from one of the modern masters of cinema. If this is indeed Tarantino's penultimate effort, hopefully his swansong will return to the quality of his previous works.
  • Even great actors can't save this storyless plotless meandering piece of self-indulgent nostalgia. It looks like they had a great time making it and to heck wirh the audience. I love the old-time movie feel of most of QTs films, but come on, you need a plot. You need to tell a story. As QT famously said a movie should make you want to sit down over a piece of pie afterwards and talk about it. Soon as our group walked out all anyone had to say was how painfully boring and self-indulgent it was. That was it. QT you gave us nothing to talk about.
  • Almost all artists reach a stage in their careers when their egos become greater than the quality of their work and this is the perfect example of that. Tarantino clearly believes that his genius is so great that he can serve up 3 hours of the dullest, most self-indulgent, rambling mess of a story and expect everybody to just accept it as a masterpiece. It's not even mildly entertaining like his more recent films have been.

Anybody who thinks that they have seen genius in this film and that only the 'informed' movie connoisseur can understand what Tarantino is really trying to do here, is just a pretentious fool. This film is an insult to the viewer and evidence that Tarantino has truly lost the plot.
  • Another great Tarantino film, though I do agree there are times where it feels a little indulgent and meandering. The climax of the film is fantastic though, and it does make it feel like it was all worth it for the most part. There isn't really a defined narrative, which may put some people off but Tarantino's sublime dialogue and the great performances make all of the scenes at least entertaining. It's no Pulp Fiction, but it definitely is one of the most original films I've seen in a while.
  • I am a big fan of Tarantino films. I was also excited to see the chemistry between 2 big Hollywood stars in Leonardo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt. This was nothing like what you would expect from a Tarantino film. The only likeable character in this 2.5 hour snooze fest, was Cliff, played by Brad Pitt.

In the 2.5 hours of plotless movie, I got up out of my seat twice, I was that bored.

It also just ended. On nothing. For a moment, I had actually wondered why the cinema lights came back on.
  • It was excruciating to sit there was 2.5 hours and watch this movie. The movie segments don't mean anything or connect to a central story. There are times you will ask yourself what was the point of the last half an hour of the movie, does it mean anything. If you have an enemy then please recommend this movie to him.
  • Just got out of a screening. This movie was perfection to me! Everything plays a part in the experience. This is some of the best acting I have seen in a long time. I was swept away with the look, music, and story. The best part of this movie is when you are spending time with these characters. Rick Dalton has quickly become on of my favorite characters of all time! Leo lights the screen on fire every time we are with him. He is the ultimate package in this by giving Rick so much depth. Pitt does an amazing job as well. Cliff Booth would be a guy I would want to hang out with. It's nice to see a movie about two guy friends that support one another in different facets of life. It is so much deeper than some sort of average buddy cop affair. Margo Robbie gets a shout out too. She truly embodies Sharon Tate and glows on screen. She is amazing. This is Tarantino at the height of his powers. He gets the best performance out of everyone in every part of this movie. There are a lot of very enjoyable smaller parts in this. It's also great to see him working with the second generation of actors and actresses he has worked with in the past. I was taken on a ride to every part of Hollywood in this. From the glitz and glamour to the dark and twisted. This movie has a really awesome third act that I wouldn't dream of spoiling. I consider it a cherry on top of an already perfect movie. The directing, writing, music, cinematography, acting were all on point. It's a slow burn but all in all this movie is about Hollywood and the different aspects of it. The rising and falling of it's movie stars, and the people that flock to it in hopes of a different life. Go in with an open mind and let the movie take you on it's ride and you won't be disappointed.
  • ymyuseda28 August 2019
    Rating 9.5/10 This movie takes back you to late 60s retro. Wonderful cinematograpy and storyline to give new experience from different era's to audience. Superb acting performance to all the characters expecially Leonardo diCaprio a.k.a Rick Dalton and Brad Pitt a.k.a Cliff Booth. I was really amazed by the acting of Leo, he deserves the oscar for this role. Worth to watch.
  • While I generally love Tarantino films, "Once Upon a Time ... in Hollywood" left me cold. I was expecting something great. Instead he gives us a bit of a mess filled with forced 1960s references, really forced, unlike "American Graffiti" which just melded them into the fabric of the film. Even the afterscene was forced and certainly not worth waiting for.

Yes the acting was generally pretty darned good. Yes, the camera work was dazzling. But the film just seemed superficial and artificial.

I realize there are plenty of folks who just adored the film and concluded it was innovative and clever beyond belief. I fear those conclusions are as superficial as this film.

So if you're a fan of Tarrantino films, this could go either way for you. If you don't buy into the hype, you very well may enjoy it. But iIf you're not a fan of his films, this one isn't likely to turn you into a fan. Better you should rent "Reservoir Dogs."
  • Unbelievably boring and mundane movie apart from last 10 minutes. Me and the missus are huge QT fans but this and the Hateful 8 were just slow burn self indulgent ego rubs. Given the budget and the cast my 12 year Old niece could have made a better film! But I bet they all had a jolly old time making it... 4 stars for the 60s vibe and that's the best I can say.
  • keithlinstead7 September 2019
    Sitting through a film (I'm English) for that amount of time for 10 minutes action that has a tenuous link to a non existent plot was hard work.

How has this got a review rating of 8.0 when the overall consensus is its a pile of do do is beyond me!