User Reviews (29)

• ... you'll share the ideals this film brings to halt the rise in CO2 by 2040, in various ways - none more inspiring than through the empowerment of women the world over.
  • This is a great film. It is a documentary assessing how we can manage the Earth in the next 20 years. He is an amiable (but committed) host, who takes us through the ways we can improve our planet and, it is structured as a "visual letter to his 4 year old daughter". He travels far and wide to gather his evidence and it is a well-structured "journey". I saw this film in a packed-out cinema in Melbourne (Australia) and we initially thought that we had come into the wrong cinema because there were so many children with their parents present. Asking the parent beside me, she said that she brought her children because they needed to know about this film. I can add that these children were indeed very interested in the unfolding story. It is not perfect, but it comes close, that's for sure. His presentation is quite innovative, and also engaging. Certainly an important documentary to see.
  • jeschneid11 June 2019
    We are inundated with predictions of dire conditions on account of climate warming. There are already many animals and other wildlife and flora which are under threat of extinction It was great to see Damon Gameau's film, which demonstrated various ways we could improve this scenario. My wish is that Australian parliamentarians could view this film also, then start to take appropriate action, instead of continuing to pursue coal mining, gas fracking, etc. Our water, food security and power would be secured. I walked out of the cinema with a smile and hope. Thank you, Damon.
  • The enjoyable idea of this film and the hope it inspires, should maintain interest. They don't tend to explain the various levels of corruption that we face before true change can be reflected. Fossil fuels is only one major obstacle we face in this modern society. The problem is the ignorance of the truth and the capitalism manipulating from the shadows. This documentary is more about the changes and doesn't wallow in the ugly truth. The key is the youth, and as one person who once saw the world heading in a terrible direction, I'm now quietly optimistic. Great research and unique doco filmmaking.
  • As carefully pointed out in this Infographical documentary we CAN do something about the environmental disaster we have created, enacting change at a personal level, and not wait for the deniers to ever change, which they won't.

The focus of the vested interest groups has always been to foul the argument with lies and endless tedious denial of what is stariung everybody in the face. The big money hasn'tr got the numbers and are working at corrupting those in power and making ordinary people give up out of sheer exhaustion.

This film shows how we can start change by ourselves and ultimately make the negative parties irrelevant, brushing them aside and just stop paying them any attention. They are only trying to delay the inevitable in a last ditch attempt to make money at the expense the of the world they themselves are inhabitting.

I left the theatre upbeat for the first time in a long time. Act now, don't wait on others and get everyone you know to see waht I hope will be the first of a flood of arguments to BUILD a better world not wait for the Ratbags to change, which is never going to happen.
    I usually love a good doco but this one was a bit hypothetical. Some of the content was great but it was put together in a bit of a strange fashion that I found hard to engage with. It was over-animated and perhaps a bit patronising or over simplified? I found myself wondering if it was that easy why were we making docos about it and not just fixing the problem? I mean I hope it's that easy to solve climate change but the doco didn't tough on economic interests or governmental forces - possibly the biggest barriers to success.
  • olleyy1 June 2019
    What an inspiring film, great to see such a positive perspective on our future for once :) Amazing work Damon!
  • Movie starts out great, really delves into the ways food is grown, and how monocropping is bad, and how we can sequester carbon back in the soil using regenerative grazing, and livestock - then drops the ball significantly by suggesting we need to then eat less meat, and eat more monocrop plant foods. Everyone knows monocrops are biggest environmental catastrophes the planet has ever seen .. take a look for wildlife in a corn, sugar or soy field - hint: there is none.

Damon needs to pick the ball back up, and really delve into human health, regenerative grazing, cattle, and life giving ecosystems.
  • static_au2 September 2019
    He mentions twice, 10 million a minute for Australian fossil fuel subsidies, actually more like 10 thousand a minute, should have also mentioned that we pay 5 thousand a minute for renewable subsidies.

Other than misrepresenting and exaggerating the cost of the subsidies well thought out discussion.
  • cechova12 October 2020
    Very inspiration movie that left a tear or two on cheeks of environmental geek as myself and a public viewer who i showed it to. Great message and great sentiment, coupled with amazing special effects that really bring the possitive vision of the future to life. We also very much liked the kids interviewees involved and think it was the best part of the movie.
  • The SFX budget alone probably could have fed a few small countries. But like the director said, it's impossible not to be a hypocrite anymore.

I don't know how many times the main music riff repeated itself, perhaps a dozen or more times. This film felt like a broken record and will be relegated to the compost bin of documentaries due to its hilarious premise that if we just eat more seaweed and take subways, we'll be fine.

The narrator must love the oxford comma, because he only speaks in threes. Something, something else, and then something finally. It's as if he can't make a point without talking in threes.

The one and only sole saving grace is the population problem, which the film glosses over. According to the film, women worldwide have around 5 children each. FIVE. If we were to stop that, we'd be OK. And they're completely correct. Population control is the ONLY way to really save us.

A fun game to play with this film is how many times they say "environment" or "resources" I stopped counting around 50. It's the same message pounded into your head over and over. We get it!

The nearly 10 minutes of credits shows the sheer volume and expense of making what is without question the slickest documentary ever produced. If Marvel made a documentary, it'd be this. The visuals were at times so corny and contrived they completely made you miss the message because you were so distracted as to how they did it.

Sure, the film is supposed to be a letter to his daughter, and aside from the unwatchably awful and inappropriate husband/wife sexual innuendos, I hope the kid "Velvet" sees it as a young woman of 16 or more and realizes she has to rise to heights far higher than this in order to make a dent in the world.
  • I remember the same thing being said by others like Al Gore and the year 2000. We can't keep moving the goal posts and expect people to believe more lies. This movie is about humans feeling helpless when it comes to mother nature. She doesn't care about your feelings, she can wipe us out tomorrow. The important thing to learn from this is that you should stop depending on corporations to make healthy food. Do it yourself.
  • What does the future bring? And are you reading this from the "future"? It's less than 20 years away right now ... and as we've learned in the year 2020, anything is possible ... absolutely anything. That being said, it doesn't mean we should accept certain things and feel defeated or just plain give up on them. The future is now ... or can be build now ... and the movie is giving us some ways and some ideas how we can make sure future generations do not curse us.

If you care about others, if you care about the enviroment - and maybe you are not just entirely sure how or what to do. Hopefully you can see this movie as an incentive. Very well structured and edited. Highly recommended.
  • This imaginative and inventive piece is beautiful. The inclusion of lots of different voices, especially those of children makes this a positive and interesting take on our climate crisis. Bravo!
  • jelencesb8 January 2021
    Everyones message to everyone, all the time!

Lets hope humanity will change for good so we can save ourselves!
  • fukn_ben6 February 2020
    As solar is a great source of clean energy there still is not a good clean way to recycle broken panels and the cost of product to the result is still way to high to be worth it on a global scale for how much electricity is consumed, wind power again the damage it does to the environment is highly looked past it has the highest rate of human death along with loss of wild life mainly birds also the cost of repair along with la true amounts of land needing to be cleared yes including deforestation to have wind farms, the lowest rate of death or injurys come from nuclear energy also there are safe ways to deposit waste and it is also the most efficient although it can have it's bad effects it is currently the best for the environment and safest way to and for anyone hurt by this please scroll back to the top and read the headline again
  • This movie shows the vision of a sustainable world, by the ideas of a father who cares for his daughter's future. There are many ways to save earth from CO2-emissions and other threatening things. What I didn't like ist that the movies makes me feel to sit in a religious meeting. All shown is presented 100 percent positively. That would be ok, if I didn't think at some point that they would change a torpedo with a watermine. Solar Energy is not effective enough. They tell about joint electric circuits in the third world and put the idea into more civilized areas, where devices are ten times more often and some of them need very much more than the view they have in the third world. The dimensions don't fit. And I had those thoughts throuout the whole movie. I thinks it's made by the right intentions, but sucks when it comes to reality. I like it, but won't give it more than 7/10. If it had better solutions, including the use of the hydrogen gas an some things like that.
  • We're all well aware of the doom and gloom surrounding our planets future and what our beautiful Earth may look like if we fail to address the many issues affecting it at present, but thankfully Australian documentary filmmaker/actor Damon Gameau doesn't want to focus on these known issues in a negative way, he wants to provide plausible possibilities on how we as a species can implement changes today to ensure our future is a much brighter one.

Inspired by his daughter Velvet's future, Gameau takes us on a journey across the globe to look at things being done this very day to help counteract our mistreatment of our planet that stems from emissions and pollution that have changed the very way in which the land around us is able to provide for of lives.

One of the rules of 2040, is that these new technologies or ways of doing things must be implemented in some way, shape or form at present, meaning what Gameau is showcasing in his lovingly crafted and technically marvelous film feels real and inspiring, not far-fetched or dreamy, making his documentary a fantastic showcase for positivity and good that exists all around us should we care to look.

There aren't many films or documentaries arriving at our doorsteps with this amount of positivity and good-natured vibes and the love and investment Gameau has clearly put into his follow-up to the very good That Sugar Film is evident for all to see, establishing himself in the process as one of the local industries most exciting film-making talents, that has seen the recognizable performer evolve from likable on screen presence to one equally at home behind the camera, with 2040 much like That Sugar Film offering up a global appeal that should resonate with viewers from across the globe.

It's important also for the success of the film that Gameau never over-steps into a preaching or know it all type persona which can sometimes weigh down documentaries of this nature that fail to address both sides of the story but 2040 never threatens to get preachy or hard-edged as it instead remains at the core of its existence a film about a father looking lovingly at his daughter's world and wondering how he can help make it a better place and seeing his heartfelt quest and his well-meaning examinations take place is a joy to behold as an observer.

There's no doubt many that watch the film, one filled with seamlessly inventive special effects and easy to understand explanations of subjects that are anything but, will be left encouraged and inspired to do things a little differently, making 2040 not only an important film for Australian audiences to seek out but one that should be sought out globally with Gameau's focus around children of this modern era and accessible information making it the perfect companion piece to our future leaders and thinkers development.

Final Say -

Proving That Sugar Film was no fluke, 2040 officially announces to the world Damon Gameau as a documentary filmmaker of the highest order with his newest passion project a lovable and important call to arms that should be required viewing for those of all ages and backgrounds.

4 driver-less cars out of 5
  • Greetings again from the darkness. Where do you see yourself in "X" years? That's a common job interview question, and with a slight twist, it's the question Damon Gameau asks himself and us ... only his question is about our planet, and it's meant to have us consider life for the next generation. Mr. Gameau makes it personal by structuring this as a (future) video letter to his 4 year old daughter Velvet, and describing what the world could be when she turns 25. What we immediately notice is that Gameau takes an optimistic approach, in contrast to the doom-and-gloom versions of climate change that we've come to expect. Rather than scare tactics, Gameau dishes hope.

In 2015, Australian Gameau delivered a documentary (THAT SUGAR FILM) where he dove mouth-first into the evils of sugar in our diet, and it's his experience and training as an actor that allows him to come across as 'one of us' as he finagles his way through complicated topics. This time out, he tackles climate change and the environment, and he does so by focusing on the solutions and approaches that already exist. This is designed to prove to us that making a better tomorrow is within our grasp, and there's no need for a miracle - and no excuse for waiting for one.

We follow along to different countries, and hear from many experts. The topics include carbon off-set, the oceans' acidity level, solar-powered microgrids in Bangladesh, soil regeneration, on-demand self-driving electric cars, and doughnut-hole economics. Along the way, Gameau lets us hear from the experts, as well as a group of school kids who tell us what they'd like their future world to look like.

Science is discussed, but true science geeks may find this a bit too light on data and research. Gameau chooses instead to give us a glimpse into some available solutions from around the globe. We do learn that the oceans absorb heat and carbon, so carbon off-set through sequestering carbon and reducing emissions is essential. We learn that one-third of farmland is used to grow food for animals, so the advantage to growing more food is obvious - and it also leads to interesting discussions of soil regeneration. Given our current structure, it's difficult to imagine if many parking lots and roads could be converted to greenspace again, and the on-demand self-driving electric cars segment was quite enlightening.

Kate Raworth wrote the 2017 book "Doughnut Economics: Seven Ways to Think like a 21st Century Economist", and the Gameau gives us an animated overview of what this means. Whether it's a practical solution is unclear, but Gameau has enlisted passionate people to his cause of focusing on existing solutions to provide a better future. Even though his 'imagined' year 2040 features him with grey hair, and the score throughout is quite obtrusive, Damon Gameau is to be commended for an entertaining and positive look at what we can do right now to ensure a better tomorrow. There is hope.
    This documentary has some unique and wonderfully engaging content, and includes some really powerful stories.

It is a great reminder that many of the solutions to the worlds biggest problems are 1) Very possible to achieve, and 2) They are very much intertwined.
  • This is a great film for anyone that finds it hard to get their heads around the science of climate change.
  • For someone who disagrees with the Extinction Rebellion approach, I found this kind of approach much more agreeable and enjoyed the movie and their ideas.

Very well worth watching, and hopefully there are ideas/suggestions that will be implemented.
  • The film was beyond great, it was well balanced, it clearly said that yeah..fossil fuels had brought us here but they are like an addiction, it's great at the beginning but it kills you at the end. Also I really liked that the film highlighted the idea that education is so important to this topic, that if you educated yourself and others you can realize so much more, you become more self-aware of the environment and others, you don't remain a self-centered egoistic human.
  • kunal-904345 May 2020
    great
    I think we should watch this movie because the approach of the movie is different and great movie thank you.....
  • Beautifully made and very informative. Love the senior acro yoga! Everyone should watch this film. Epic epic epic