• If you love lifetime movies this won't disappoint, lots of drama and eye candy. it feels a little low budget, sometimes, but James Maslow is awesome as the bad guy, and he's even sexier when he's being evil. The other young people in the movie, the landord daughter and her bf are really good too. Sometimes the movie is actually tense and scary and sometimes it's trying to be and isn't but overall it's what you'd expect and isn't a let down.
  • tomfsloan6 October 2018
    No complaints with the acting. The plot was typical Lifetime. That's expected. I was not happy with the cinematography. Too much hand held shakey camerawork. There was also something wrong with the lighting/color/contrast/exposure/saturation. It just looked unprofessional. Ladies...if you are ever attacked and choked like in this movie, remember to kick him in the balls. When he's down for the count, you are now the one who's in control. The climatic baracaded door scene was stupid. Mom suddenly freed herself really easy when she needed to. The daughter should have not stopped her mom with the rolling pin. (Although the bad guy acted like he was being beaten with a roll of paper towels) When the movie was over, I was much happier to finish watching the second half of a Perry Mason episode.
  • The first 20-30 minutes are a little slow but it picks up and turns into a great ride, exactly what you'd expect. Not every aspect of the movie is perfect but where it makes up for it and excels is casting. Lorynn York is a strong female lead, and lights up the screen as the concerned, suspicious daughter trying to protect/save her mother, played by Tanya Clarke. Clarke delivers a solid performance even though her character's refusal to see anything odd or weird about her boarder/boyfriend makes her seem a little desperate or daft (but still a great performance). Maslow is spot on as the eerily creepy handsome guy, and the energy/tension between Maslow and York is one area where the film excels. Adam Huber rounds out the cast as the perfect cop/ex-boyfriend. While it's tempting to think of this as a case of the playing being better than the piano, or performances being better than the film making, the director does a solid job. The pacing of the first 20-30 minutes is slow but once it gets into the action the film delivers.
  • James Maslow did all he could with the role given to him and performed well as the psycho boyfriend. However, the script was poorly written and so was the ending.

I've seen better original movies on Lifetime, but I still had fun watching this.
    This thriller is quite well acted and cast. The story isn't complicated. A young woman suspects her mother's toy boy who rents a room from her isn't all that great. It isn't that far off. Some single parents both fathers and mothers can be that blind when they get infatuated much to the consternation of their kids. The psycho is obvious from the beginning no twists here. But the story is well paced and well told and not ridiculous. The psycho is well played by James Maslow. Couple of minus points. Not much insight into why he was like that. Also not much follow up on the victims. Straightforward story but well done.
  • I wanted to give this movie 10 starts, because idea is good. And acting really. Maybe not so professional, and not much stuff to see, not much effort, but really i did feel real fear during watching. Like in real life from real criminals. I gave it one star less because at the end acting of beating him up was so fake, there was not single punch real, camera did simply skipped hitting parts. It teaches and motivates us to beware of criminals, especially young in our neighborhood, town, city, village, or even home. Many young people are criminals. Such scary people exist and are problem and threat. Looks like this is one more movie from Lifetime tv channel, which really has lot good movies, all about real life, all filled with interesting emotions. Movie looks real, gives you fear, and is unpredictable.
    Jake was a complicated character, different than other psycho's in Lifetime movies, he didn't steal from the mother, didn't harm her until the end and stood to gain nothing. All he wanted was a relationship with the mother, seemed to genuinely care for her. True, he killed 2 people in the movie but, that makes him more complicated. I felt for him because he had no family nor friends, he seemed lonely and he was mentally ill. He was on clozapine and lithium carbonate, not sure if he was taking his meds. He said he felt alone and he thought he found someone who cared about him, but she was using him. Again, great movie with complex characters. One thing bothers me a little about all Lifetime movies, I hate how they portray mental illness, it's like all people who are mentally ill are crazy or dangerous, which is totally not true. Aside from that, I enjoy complicated characters, Jake for some reason reminds me of Secret Window Mort.
    "Room For Murder" (a.k.a., "The Boarder") is a tawdry tale set in the fictional town of Riverview, California. The glue that holds the film together is the relationship of Moira Atherton and her daughter Kristen.

The mother-daughter bond is strained when Kristen makes a surprise visit home from her studies in Berkeley to learn that her mom has rented out her room to a boarder. The tenant named Jake is half Moira's age, and she has done no background check on him. Mom's little secret that she was keeping from her daughter is that she has been living in sin!

Kristen is a psychology major, and she instantly sizes up Jake for a fraud. But she has no idea that he is hiding a secret from his past. He had murdered a young woman, but was acquitted at trial. He has subsequently changed his name and withheld his unsavory past from Moira.

Apparently, Jake is a serial killer. He kills a woman while jogging, then literally bumps into Kristen's car near the scene of the crime. Because he is wearing a mask, she is unable to offer a 100% positive identification. The dim-witted deputy Ryan Jessup ("Deputy Dog,"), Kristen's former beau before he cheated on her, is slow beyond belief in investigating Jake. This gives Jake the time to kill the effervescent Sherrie, one of Moira's employees at her styling salon.

The film was unpleasant because, apart from Sherrie, who makes her untimely exit from the script, the characters were generally unlikable. After Ryan advises Kristen not to bait Jake, she does precisely that, and the result is that Moira is in grave danger. It is difficult to feel much empathy for Moira, due to her dalliance with her boy toy and her inability to comprehend that he is hiding something from her.

The bottom line is that Moira appears to like things rough, and that is precisely what got from ol' Jake. The film closes with Moira planning to search for a new boarder, as Kristen is heading off to UCLA after transferring from Berkeley. Deputy Dog promises to help Moira in screening the prospective tenants. One can only imagine that Moira will be right back in the maelstrom with another boarder from hell.
  • I like Lifetime movies so, so, much. Jenna Kanell is one of my cult favorite actresses so I was happily surprised to see her working the cafe and playing the best friend. I wish she was listed in the synopsis; even on here. The acting was good. I really disliked the direction and director choices on this movie- then I saw it was a male director and it made sense why the first love scene kinda made me squirm. I totally felt the made-by-a-bruh-for-bruh's. Not at all the demographic of this genre. Being that I really adore great Lifetime movies, I expect and welcome some camp and spoon-fed, obvious plot-twists. When done right it's charming and enjoyable. But less than one minute into the opening of the movie the ridiculous continuity problems ie a dead body facing straight up in one shot, and with it's head cocked extremely to the right in the following shot, symbolic red paint drips onto what looks like concrete then immediately to a white tarp... come on director dude. The one thing a good Lifetime movie has is respect for it's style. I work in this business. I'm positive the editor/s wanted to fix the foibles and just insulting continuity problems but the director, who is responsible for this, just locked edit and sent this as finished. This director doesn't understand the cult genre and seems to assume he can just be sloppy and throw in such poor direction as well.

The acting was great though. Kudos to the actors. I feel for you all, having to take such bad direction. Now I understand why Jenna Kanell doesn't have her name in the billing. It was probably her choice.
  • Lifetime is shameless about having hunky male actors with their shirts off. Add to that a well acted, well written script, and you have a instant Lifetime classic. Pour it up!

🔪🔪🔪🔪 (4 Knives) 🍷🍷🍷 (3 glasses of wine required.)