User Reviews (8,109)

• I was a person that saw all the hype and claims of masterpiece as overreacting and overblown excitement for another Joker based film. I thought this looked solid at best and even a bit too pretentious in the trailer, but in here to say I was incredibly wrong. This is a massive achievement of cinema that's extremely rare in a day and age of cgi nonsense and reboots. While this is somewhat of a reboot of sorts, the standalone origin tale is impeccable from start to finish and echoes resemblance to the best joker origin comics from the past. Joaquin bleeds, sweats, and cries his every drop into this magnificently dedicated performance. Heath Ledger would be proud. This is undoubtedly the greatest acting performance since Heath's joker. The directing and writing is slickly brilliant and the bleak settings and tones are palpable throughout. When this film was over the place was blown away and every audience member was awestruck that they witnessed a film that could still transport them into a character's world and very existence. Believe the hype. This is going to be revered as a transcending masterpiece of cinema.
  • Every once in a while a movie comes, that truly makes an impact. Joaquin's performance and scenography in all it's brilliance. Grotesque, haunting and cringy. Hard to watch at times,... but so mesmerizing, you won't blink an eye watching it. Tragic, but with seriously funny moments. Emotional rollercoaster - sometimes, with multiple emotions popping-up at the same time.

this is far from a typical action-riddled predictable super-hero movie - it's a proper psychological thriller/drama, with the single best character development I have ever seen.
  • kdagoulis264 October 2019
    Most of the time movies are anticipated like this they end up falling short, way short. Joker is the first time I was more than happy with the hype. Please ignore the complaints of "pernicious violence" as they are embarrassing to say the least. We haven't seen a comic movie this real before. If we ever "deserved" a better class of criminal - Phillips and Phoenix have delivered. This is dark, Joker IS dark and you will fall in love with the villain as you should. The bad guys are always more romantic anyway.
  • This is a movie that only those who have felt alone and isolated can truly relate to it. You understand the motive and you feel sorry for the character. A lot of people will see this movie and think that it encourages violence. But truly, this movie should encourage each and every one of us to become a better person, treat everyone with respect and make each other feel like they belong in this world, instead of making them feel isolated.
  • Truly a masterpiece, The Best film of 2019, one of the Best films of the decade... And TRULY the Best film to bring a comic book so chillingly and realistically to real ife. Remarkable Direction, Cinematography, Music and the Acting. I don't understand why critics are surprised to find it DISTURBING and VIOLENT, when the title character is infamous for it and fans were already rooting for this. OSCARS are on their way!
  • logical_guy1 September 2019
    Joaquin Phoenix gives a tour de force performance, fearless and stunning in its emotional depth and physicality. It's impossible to talk about this without referencing Heath Ledger's Oscar-winning performance from The Dark Knight, widely considered the definitive live-action portrayal of the Joker, so let's talk about it. The fact is, everyone is going to be stunned by what Phoenix accomplishes, because it's what many thought impossible - a portrayal that matches and potentially exceeds that of The Dark Knight's Clown Prince of Crime
  • Let me start off by saying if Joaquin Phoneix doesn't get his Oscar for this movie. Then the Oscars should be cancelled. Phoneix is amazing as you might've heard from every review ever! But Todd Phillips. Is at his best here. The story lines he takes and visuals are just breathtaking. The score!! Omg the Score! Every time that score came on, I felt very uncomfortable, like something horrible was about to happen. It was GREAT. The Inspirations from Taxi Driver and King of Comedy are there, and add so much for the movie. And I got to be honest. There are scenes that are very violent. And its disturbing. But I honestly expected it to be WAYYYY more violent from all the controversy going on. Overall this movie was GREAT. Come Oscar season, it needs to be nominated for Best Picture, ScreenPlay, Cinematography, Actor, Score and Director
  • I get why some people hate this . It's because of the political message and how some people think that you need get empathy for Arthur's madness. But come on that is not the point and it will never be. Enjoy this masterpiece because Joaquin Phoenix and Todd Phillips overdid themselves with this movie . The acting,music and cinematography are just amazing ! Please enjoy the movie without overthinking it.
  • I have seen Joker yesterday at Venice an early ill-fated screening. We had some trouble with audio that lead to a near-hour delay, but it definitely was worth it.

Joker deserved to be presented at Venice Film Festival, an event that regards cinema as a form of art, because this film is far from a blockbuster or a mere entertainer movie, as most films in the genre are.

It focuses on the psyche of the main character, as it slowly crumbles under the pressure of society. And thus, Joaquin Phoenix does a wonderful performance, earning almost surely a nomination at the oscars at least. It's a take on the Joker that differs from Ledger's, but I'd say that both are equally as good. The main difference might be that Ledger's joker is a rational that acts insane, while Phoenix's is insane to the root.

Despite being a movie about a superhero villain, Joker is much superior to most of the movies of the genre (I'd exclude the Dark Knight Trilogy only, but Joker is easily as good as Nolan's movies, or at least very close). It is a small-scaled film, with a distinct style and cinematography (that cannot but be appreciated) and a set of very cinephile references that however do not feel too forced or overly opressive. (most notable are the similarities to Scorsese's 'Taxi Driver' and his 'The King of Comedy', but also Chaplin's 'Modern Times' is somewhat referenced).

I am eager to see more non-comedic efforts by Todd Phillips. This movie was so far probably the best of 2019 (at worst contested so far only by Dolor Y Gloria or Once Upon a Time in Hollywood), and that should be very convincing.
  • It's sad that Joaquin missed Oscar for 'The gladiator' as he was very compelling Villain. But I am quite confident he will win it for the 'Joker'. Damn what a movie !!! Keeps u on the toes all the time. Unpredictable storyline and really a deep interesting plot. Did I forget to mention acting ? Damn Do niro and Joaquin teach u what really is 5 star acting. To enjoy this movie, get a wine in your hand, close the curtains, turn of ur cellphones and put do not disturb sign on ur door. Best Dark thriller suspense movie you will get to experience.
  • pavao-radic221 September 2019
    I have just watched the Joker in Venice and I will say if Joaquin doesn't get an Oscar this year then something is wrong with this world. This perfomance is just jaw-dropping, it glues you to the screen and doesn't let go till the end. Story is very good and has some interesting connections with Batman lore(especially one you can't guess from trailers). There are some scenes that are so tense ,well-acted and imaginative that push this movie to 10. Cinematography and direction are great, Todd has proven himself as a director. Robert is also good in his "small" role. Will definitely see it again as soon as it out in October.
  • link99336 October 2019
    The acting, cinematography, sound design, and the script itself is phenomenal. This movie is a triumph. Joaquin Pheonix deserves an Oscar win for this tbh.
  • This movie causes the audience to consider many topics on morality, particularly the poor choices made by the Joker. The Joker is more relatable in this movie than antagonists usually are. I think this gives a more realistic view of "bad" people, who are not usually 100% bad in all ways as society often judges. It is important to know when to sympathize with the Joker (towards the beginning of the movie), and when he needs to be identified as a threat (when he begins making certain bad choices). This movie is only suitable for adults who are willing to pick it apart and think critically about it. It isn't for light amusement. That substance is what makes it so good.

If you aren't able to ponder underlying themes on your own, and you have to be handed all your thoughts to you, then this isn't the best movie for you.
  • I quit relying on critic reviews years ago... I noticed for this movie that the critics ratings were low but viewer ratings were high. That being said, what is the point of a critic when for this movie, they are oh so wrong. I went and saw this tonite with my mom. I went in skeptical and w some what low expectations. I knew not to expect your typical super hero movie. What we got was a masterpiece. I went in expecting sheer boredom and I was instead on the edge of my seat the whole time. Not action edge of your seat, it was a fear of what he may do or say next edge of your seat. To see this character evolve into what we all know as the #1 villain of Batman was beyond genius and Joaquin Phoenix is a true master at perfecting the art of consuming himself into this character. I may be all over the place with this but I don't care. This movie, the story, the acting, directing, effects, everyone brought their A game and JP definitely deserves a nod and win for this role. And no, there is no comparison here to Jack Nicholson or Heath Ledger. Each actor took on this character and different levels, different story points and different points in time, so any comparison would just not be feasible or fair to any of the actors as they embraced him and made him come to life in their own genius way!
  • The movie affects you in a way that makes it physically painful to experience, but in a good way.
  • issrafeel3 October 2019
    I will stop watching movies if Joaquin Phoenix is not awarded Oscar for his tremendous acting.
  • burkholdermicah2 September 2019
    Need I say more? Everything about this Movie is Masterful in every single way! Joker isn't just an awesome comic book movie, it's an awesome movie, period. It offers no easy answers to the unsettling questions it raises about a cruel society in decline. Joaquin Phoenix's fully committed performance and Todd Phillips' masterful albeit loose reinvention of the DC source material make Joker a film that should leave comic book fans and non-fans alike disturbed and moved in all the right ways.
    Joaquin Phoenix IS the joker. Phoenix gave a performance that felt like a mixture of Heath Ledger's joker, Jack Nicholson's joker, and Alex in A Clockwork Orange:

Overall, this movie was a trip to say the least. Cinematography was very good, and the soundtrack set the perfect mood for the film for the most part. The acting and plot are what sold it though. Phoenix made me forget that the character was one I had seen before in other movies. His performance mixed with the overall feel and plot of the movie made me leave the theater feeling like I too had just taken a descent into madness.

I've never been a very big fan of superhero movies so I was a little weary going into the movie, but this had absolutely nothing to do with anything superhero related other than the characters. I loved this movie and will definitely see it again. It was just what I hoped it would be.
  • ahmetkozan13 November 2019
    Joaquin' portrayal of a sociopathic, mentally unstable man's transformation to the iconic Joker was non other than a grippingly accurate, realistic and touching rendition. A dark and disturbing character piece led by an Oscar worthy performance by Joaquin Phoenix. You really do feel bad for this guy, which makes it all the more heartbreaking when he inevitably becomes the clown prince of crime we all know and love, although we've never seen him like this. We see him suffer throughout the movie to the point we're almost rooting for himk to become a mass murdering psyco clown, because that at least will make feel better; then it happens and we just wish this could have all just been avoided, because es so messed up. We feel for him and care about him. By the time he's the joker, we wish we could've helped him. There's a lot of great nods to the greater Batman universe, yet the movie is a self contained character piece. That can only be the mark of a great movie. All the acting is great, the plot (while similar to Taxi Driver) is brilliant and the quality of the movie shows you don't need CGI super powers to be a great villain in a Superhero movie. Is a joke not everyone gets. This movie is "the rise of the Joker!" 10/10
  • j_bone-438164 October 2019
    Joaquin Phoenix gives Heath Ledger a run for his money, true story. This is not a popcorn fluff comic book flick. DO NOT TAKE YOUR KIDS TO SEE THIS MOVIE. Shut down all ballots for the Oscar, Joaquin is taking that one home hands down. One of the best origin stories EVER put out. The only downside to this movie, is that it is a stand alone film that will have no sequels or ties to the DC Universe. Todd Philips take on the Joker is one of pure brilliance and Joaquin Phoenix was the Joker we deserved. He didn't steal from Jack or Heath but yet you got a taste of both.
  • ahakimshashaa3 October 2019
    The music. The intense. The realism. The performance. The story. Such a perfect combination of everything. I never felt that a character like joker could be real until I saw this. Phoenix shows us what a joker is in our society and shows us how power can be obtained. Philips on the other hand had the perfect choice of music, camera angles, lighting and every important factor. Overall, I did not expect the story to be this perfect. Too many shocking turns happened and it really does represent today's society. If I was in the first screening, I would have applauded for 80 min not 8.
  • nerdgasms30 November 2019
    This was amazing. DC needs to stick with the serious and more realistic stuff. I haven't seen a DC movie this good since the Nolan Dark Knight films. This was a surprising place to find a realistic take on mental health issues and I was not expecting to ever feel bad for the Joker. The fact that some of the media doesn't get this movie is kinda ironic isn't it? It's almost like they want something negative to occur so they can blame it on the movie instead of looking in the mirror.
  • Phoenix convinces me that he has always meant to be the joker. The movie went beyond my expectations, so many emotions went through me these couple hours. I think because its rated R, Phoenix was able to unlock jokers full psychotic potential as the character he is meant to be. This was an AMAZING story, and it calls for more. And I mean a build up, a second movie, maybe one with batman? My hopes are too high at this point, but nevertheless, brilliant goddamn movie and THE BEST joker ever played hands down.
  • The perfect portrait of a decline to insanity" & Joaquin Phoenix portrays this flawlessly in a performance of a lifetime. Choreographed impeccably by Todd Phillips & is nothing short of breathtaking. The cinematography & backdrop ideology of such an original film for such a complex character is only complimented by the superb soundtrack & acting. A hauntingly beautiful film & A Definate 10/10. Edit: Bring on part 2 plssssss!. We all want it!.
    There is no doubt that the movie was well thought of - from the plot to execution. I must praise Phoenix's superb acting. He managed to portray very believably the awkward social reject and also the crazy murderer that he became. I really think it's a role only few could do. It was also very interesting to watch how he deteriorated mentally and little by little gave up on trying to fit into society. Gotta hand it to the script writer - the plot was unpredictable.

But...

There wasn't anything too complex about Arthur's mental state. No deep psychological analysis, or a web of many deep factors that created a one of a kind psychotic maniac. Could it be that I was expecting too much? Very possible since I came with very high expectations after reading some reviews. What doesn't have anything with expectations is that at the end he didn't remind much of the original Joker. He felt more like a simply society reject that went completely crazy and started killing people. Not that much different from many other serial killers or mass murderers. He didn't have the master mind that so much designated the Joker and made him different from a simple murderer.

Another thing is that there were long parts of the movie that felt very dull. Also I found it hard to buy the reason behind the riots in the city and the role the Joker played in them. Even if taken into account that the poverty and anger was cooking for a long time in that society, it still feels somewhat absurd that killing three people in the subway made the joker so notorious.

In conclusion, I can identify with the character which gave me a lasting impression of the movie, and this movie could have been very great if it was a movie about how a person that's rejected by society turns slowly into a serial killer. But as a movie about the Joker I felt it was lacking. Lacking the things that made the Joker actually the Joker, and not just another crazy murderer.