User Reviews (246)

• I watched the film and for all it's slickness and hollywood budget, after every sequence I found myself researching the evidence the film was claiming and was shocked that as much as the film can be correct, it can also be wrong.

I don't have an agenda against veganism or being an omnivore (people who choose meat and plant based diet) and I'm fine with people choosing a plant-based diet, but I think it's important to ask questions about the people chosen to participate in the film and the agendas they have and how the edit has been skewed to convince people into thinking that they should do this, when they haven't been asking the questions.

I'm aware this review will upset people and I'll get jumped on for calling out the truth but I recommend anyone to go out and do the research after they've watched the film to see if it matches up to what you've seen.
  • Saw a preview version (the movie is still undergoing modifications) at a private showing in late February. This will shock men whose standard mantra is "real men must eat meat" and those family meal planners who think that eating meat is essential for proving protein to their families, especially youngsters (both girls and boys) who have desires for improving their physical performance.. The reality is the reverse. It is dramatic, powerful and amazing and should not be missed.
  • I am a professional nutritionist n gym instructor n the makers of this film themselves put up a disclaimer that this documentary is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice.

Truth about the documentary:

The documentary has only anecdotal evidence (personal experiences, mostly unscientific). The documentary starts with a disclaimer adding the term "however" contrasting their own claims. They acknowledge that this documentary is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice. They hav focussed on successful vegan athletes but has shun away from meat eating successful athletes. Executive producer James Cameron's company Verdient Foods Inc. has teamed up with Ingredion to accelerate the plant-based protein market by investing $ 140 million. The other producers, Roddenberry foundation gave 250000 $ to Green Monday for converting 1.6 million Hong Kong residents to veganism. Arnold is a good friend of Cameron.

My opinion:

I am cool and I respect people's choice of eating but I oppose when vegans n vegetarians claim that they r more healthier than meat eaters. I was not keen on watching this as I was aware about the propaganda but one of my client requested me to see n pass my opinion on the film.

Some interesting facts on evolution, science n existing facts:

Long before human ancestors began hunting large mammals for meat, a fatty diet (marrow) provided them with the nutrition to develop bigger brains, posits a new paper in Current Anthropology.

The brain requires 20 percent of a human's energy when resting; by comparison, an ape's brain requires only 8 percent. This means that from the time of H. erectus, the human body has depended on a diet of energy-dense food-especially meat.

The Kyrgyz of the Pamir Mountains in northern Afghanistan live at a high altitude where no crops grow. Survival depends on the animals that they milk, butcher, and barter.

A study from Oxford University found that vegans have a 30 percent higher risk of bone fracture, possibly as a result of lower calcium levels in their diet.

Increasing dietary protein intake promotes weight loss through several mechanisms. On an average, dietary protein requires 20-30% of its usable energy to be expended for metabolism and/or storage as compared to 5-10% and 0-3% required by carbohydrates and dietary fats respectively. Diets high in protein promote energy expenditure through increased postprandial thermogenesis and increase total daily expenditure while preventing decline in resting energy expenditure during weight loss. Interventional studies with dietary protein have shown to promote weight loss by increasing satiety as compared to carbohydrates demonstrated an increase in satiety among participants following a high protein diet.

Carbs too is required along with good fats. But the carbs shud be from bananas n potatoes. Not from grains. In fact the proportion of carbs n proteins after workouts is 2:1 respectively. The only time apart from morning breakfast when a person can consume sugar in the form of fructose (juice n dates) is post gym.

The key is balance. Lean n unprocessed meat, low carbs, lil fats n avoidance of sugar.

Streptococcus mutans and streptococcus sobrinus responsible for plaque on teeth n responsible for heart inflammation, loves sugar.

Egg n meat proteins has the highest biological value n they consist of all the amino acids, especially Creatine Monohydrate. Milk has whey n whey provide BCAA's, best for strength n to ward off catabolism. Plant proteins lack Creatine Monohydrate n BCAA's.

When dietary intake of cholesterol goes down, liver makes more. When dietary intake of cholesterol goes up, liver makes less. And its a proven fact that the cholesterol produced by liver has bad effect on arteries n heart. So pls don't exclude eggs from our diet, especially the yolk. Yolk also has lutein n zeaxanthin, antioxidants for the health of eyes.

Sugar n excess carbs (grains) r the public enemy no. 1.

Plz watch Nigel Latta's documentary, Is Sugar the New Fat. It will take only 45 mins to showcase the horrors of excess carbs n sugar.
    I find it frightening that propaganda expanded from politics to our daily lives and those manipulators(film producers which also produce vegan products) hurt people's health to grab their money into own pockets. This movie is based on personal "experience" of some famous athlets, which pretend their performance was increased by switching to vegan diet. But in fact many of them retired before they switched, some of them got worse performance after that. They use pseudo-scientific arguments like appeal to traditions, eg. look what our ancestors ate(which lived 30 years max), and even there with tons of fake information, eg. about tooth structure and bowel length(both are fully and crearly adequate to omnivores). They reference some outdated scientific papers which have been since publication rejected, eg. "meat causes cancer". They misinterpret scientific knowledge, eg. plant proteins can fully substitute animal proteins(no normal person can do it right, because you have to combine many kinds of plant proteins every day to consume the full set of amino acids). They lie about vitamin B12 deficiency among omnivores. Actually vegans mostly dont get vitamin B12 or people with specific sicknesses. And of course they won't tell you about any drawbacks of a vegan diet, which are numerous. Just ask a professional nutritionist. I think this kind of movies must be illegal and the producers should be punished for damaging health of uneducated people who would believe in all they say.
    They used mediocre athletes to claim plant based diet works. arnold doesn't count. he wouldn't be mr olympia if he was vegan. all the elite athletes in the upper echelon of sport are not vegans. they eat a balanced diet. the mcgregor-diaz case is a terrible example because mcgregor won the rematch anyway.. a better example would be the pacquiao-bradley boxing trilogy. the first 2 fights, bradley was on plant based diet and he gassed out after 3 rounds. the 3rd fight he ditched the plant based diet. he had more energy and was more competitive, but still lost. it really comes down to skills, training, preparation and a balanced diet.. too much of something is bad. it's all about balance!
  • Get the top athletes, not average athletes in certain sports. Try to put patrick against top strongmen, he would fail terribly. This is very biased, no scientific evidence.
  • arossi-665632 November 2019
    As a 27 year old man who loves his fried chicken and has never given a thought to being vegan this documentary has made me decide For the first time in my life about going vegan
  • Just wanted to inform that the rush in 1 star ratings came from a recent joe rogan ep.

The producer of this doc since came to a debate on joe rogan and defended his claims, to my opinion very calmly
  • I'm someone who has always been health conscious, and after watching this documentary I can't believe how brainwashed we've become to believe that meat and dairy is our main source of protein and the adverse effects it can have on our bodies. Like many other reviewers I came out thinking thinking what the hell do I'm going to do with all the lean meant and fish I have in my freezer?! It's time to make a change to help ourselves and the environment! Informative documentary.
  • Walked into this movie with curious expectations. I walked out shook to my core. Film refuses to lay off the gas as it systematically dismantles your predisposed perceptions of diet/masculinity/vegan lifestyle from one scene to the next.

This is not a "kill floor" film that shames viewers for their dietary choices, rather an education on negatives/positives from one choice to the other backed up by science that is actually SHOWN and discussed. It takes a peek behind the curtain of the marketing tactics and manipulations of the meat industry in a genuinely tasteful way-no pun intended. The Gamechangers will change the public perception of plant based diets of being "protein deficient and weak" - to badass and undeniably optimal for strength and endurance. Don't believe me? thats fine, take it from Schwarzenegger or any of the other celebrities or top form professional athletes featured in this film. They don't care about the "Tell" they are all about the "Show."

Enjoyed this film from the Top to the Bottom. If it was a book I would buy the hard copy. If it was a podcast I'd hit subscribe. If it was a stock, I'd liquidate existing stocks and hammer down.

Congratulations for all involved in the making of the film.

Buxy-MovieCritic (I don't hand out 10s)
  • mukunvelu17 September 2019
    It had takes on the effects of meat consumption from angles that I had never come across before. To answer some of the negative reviews, the movie does feature a body builder who started out vegan, Nimai Delgado.
  • I find it hilarious how as soon as Joe Rogan gets some "acupuncturist" on his podcast to talk down about this documentary, all the 1 star reviews start flooding in.

This is a great, eye-opening documentary for people that believe the propaganda that we need meat in our diet to be strong and healthy (we don't).

James Wilks (the creator of The Game Changers) has since been on Joe Rogan to clear up all the bullsh*t that Kresser was saying. He spoke clearly and eloquently and addressed all of the points he needed to and backed them up with science.

If we want to live in a world where the air is clean and the forests stay green, we all need to start doing our bit. The least you can do for the good of the animals and your own planet is: go vegan.
  • x_givemenovacaine_x16 September 2019
    This is everything that the health and fitness industry needs and more.
  • caseylloyd-net17 September 2019
    All men should watch this film! It explains real science in an entertaining way combined with great stories. I've been living this lifestyle for almost two years now and if you try it for just a month you'll know the science is sound. A must see film that debunks the "Men must eat meat" marketing lie.
  • This is a very well researched movie about plant-based athletes. It completely changes the perception that vegan/plant based eating is not for athletes/body builders. Has very insightful interviews with real life olympian vegan athletes and body builders about how their life turned around after they turned plant based. This is a great film that I would recommend anyone interested in improving their health and life style to watch.
  • This is what you would get if Michael Moore wanted to make you go vegan. I think I now count as an endurance athlete, as I made it through this slog, and without even switching to a plant-based diet. There is some really interesting data at the core of this movie, but it's so wrapped up in garbage, misinformation and hyperbole that it entirely undermines itself. First, while they were clearly doing everything possible to avoid the word Vegetarian, having every single person in every supposed interview use the exact same phrasing of "a plant-based diet" kind of undermines the authenticity. The cherry-picking is painful. It goes into how the Roman Gladiators were vegetarian... But not the why (barley helped build up a layer of fat over muscle, which matters a lot if you get hit by bladed weapons professionally. Personally, I'm not training for that). Nope, instead it's breezing past scientific journals that cross-fade past us with only a few words highlighted and then we're on to absurd claims. "Two months as a vegan got my battle ropes time from under eight minutes to over an hour!" Uh-huh. Your strength endurance went up more than six times due to giving up meat over a couple months. Sure. Right. If the claims here were true then the world of professional athletes would be 100% vegetarian, as the filthy meat-eaters could never compete against their vegan superiors. Explains our narrator's triumphant return to MMA after he recovered from his injury, followed by all those championships. Oh, wait. If you want some interesting reading about sports nutrition, check out the studies referenced in this movie. Some really cool stuff there! If you want dramatic music, cherry-picked examples that consider non-vegetarian, low-carb and ketogenic diets interchangeable (whichever looks worst against vegetarianism!), and a whole lot of you might enjoy this. I sure didn't.
  • This movie was entertaining, informative (if you've never studies plant based diets that is, otherwise no real new thoughts here) and reconfirmed what most vegans already know. Interesting that the move only looked at plant based diets from the perspective of the human. A little from the perspective of the planet but none from the perspective of the animal!! Trust me, animals want you to be vegan!! For most vegans I know the cruelty free aspect is a huge reason they are vegan!! The way animals are treated, processed and slaughtered is a horror beyond most of our imaginations. Paul Mc Cartney says "if slaughterhouses had glass walls everyone would be vegetarian". Driving alongside a truck hauling livestock to slaughter is the saddest thing you can run across on the open road. There were a few comments about this along the way in the film but just as side notes. It mostly focuses on the health benefits of a plant based diet. Probably they didn't want to alienate our meat eating brethren but to gently nudge them just to even thinking about being vegan. Even if only one day a week - like meatless Mondays. They also didn't even acknowledge the amount of chemicals in meat nowadays. The hormones, antibiotics, mysterious carcinogens etc make our meat pretty much toxic just because of that! Why do so many young men develop breasts these days?? Or young girls of 12 or 15 have enormous breasts?? Yeah, meat is full of all these chemicals. Based on that alone I wouldn't eat it. My breasts are big enough thank you. That aspect of meat was not even mentioned. It's as if they wanted to keep the narrative positive, human focused, not fanatic but enthusiastic. Kind of like a high end 2 hour commercial for vegans. My only issue really was that everyone in the theater was probably vegan already. This movie should be shown in elementary schools to kids who already are grossed out by meat and meat products. But are forced to eat it because it's 'good for you'.
  • This is certainly the worst documentary ever made. I usually do not write reviews but when I saw this is rated 8.5 I could not resist to put 1 star and hopefully this movie will reach this grade where it belongs. Everything is wrong and biased, only the weak mind will get convinced by this pile of s### where everything is made to make you believe plant-based diet will solve all your problems in a month. They are taking the rare and few example where a vegan once won something and make it a general statement to say "veganism gives you superpower", the funny fact being that every other (and famous, at least that you know some of x) ) champions in every other sports in the world eat meat, but this they won't mention it. Oh yeah they will also show you some bodybuilder obviously taking steroids and explain to you that they are strong and shredded like this because they eat lentils and broccolis. The narrator is a big joke , like "oh my god" , he eats vegan for 1 month and he goes on the rope exercice from 8min to more than 1 hours, not even sweating, yea yea hum hum. Oh yea if you eat a burrito beans before going to bed (just ONE huh, you can eat whatever s### you want before in the day does not matter) you d### will get super hard according to the guy wearing a lab coat, certainly because it makes it more true when you wear a lab coat explaining some stuff. This movie should be switched from documentary to comedy, because all I got from this is a good laugh.
  • chrischapallaz16 September 2019
    Wow! I thought it was going to be B grade from the ads but I was entertained throughout the whole movie!
  • It has an amazing production, great pictures, some good people talking about their experiences but... It all sound like a big propaganda or political commercial. I would like it if they just naturally talked about their experiences, the pros and cons, the effects, the life changing stuff. But they just edit all the parts and created a kind of brainwashing film basically telling you that meat is bad and plants are good and that all the stuff we heard before is fake and gladiators somehow didn't eat any meat after all and then they put some girl acting like some big shot scientist teaching us that now they are discovering that our ancestors were vegan lol. I mean, cmon... This documentary should be so much better without the bias. I respect everyone who is able to have a healthy diet, plant base or not, but people who eat meat are not the devil, as far as I'm aware.
  • justinboyne7 December 2019
    For all the people who watched this or didn't and have come to conclusion that this film isn't based on science you are completely out of your depth and absolutely wrong. All of the studies are cited but if you're still not convinced please watch James Wilks (Film creator/commentator) on Joe Rogan podcast debate Chris Kresser for nearly 4 hours point by point and indefinitely prove by providing various scientific, peer reviewed literature and evidence to prove each and everything mentioned in the film.
  • Easy to follow and understand. Backed by credible scientific studies and proven by how well the athletes who are following the diet are doing! This documentary showed me a totally new way to view vegan diets, busted my own long held myths (e.g. soy creating more estrogen in the body) and gave me insight into the meat industry (and how it occupies a disproportionally large percentage of arable land). I was riveted throughout by the stories of these athletes who gave up meat and never looked back.
  • maevemccluskey18 September 2019
    Brilliant documentary we watched in it the cinema, im my opinion it was presented in a way that would reach a wider range of people without being preachy like a lot of these documentaries tend to be. Was very happy I got to meet Patrik in person a couple of years ago a very humble but inspiring man.
  • Yet another 'documentary' claiming plant based is superior on all levels. Just another vegan/vegetarian fan movie - just look that the reviews - all 10/10 blathering on about the same rehashed as before. I barely made it through this movie - didn't start well when he compared 'Protein' based energy to 'Plant' based energy. If on a keto/low carb diet, the most basic concept is where you receive your energy from. You change from getting energy from carbohydrates (sugar) to energy from fat. Not 'energy from protein', dude! And forget about nutritional deficiencies on a plant based diet - back then supplementation wasn't as easy as hitting the supplement aisle. Mainly carb diets are now showing to be the base cause of Diabetes (the most obvious), Alzheimer's, heart disease, and pretty much every other chronic condition in existence. Every wonder why diabetes has increase 90% over the past decade? Just check out the US Dietary Guidelines from the 80s - eat that pasta! Everyone loves to cherry-pick their stats, but come on, wake up. And gladiators were "mainly prisoners of war, slaves and condemned offenders" - they were fed the cheapest food, carbs. Gladiators were big business, and they were fed a plant based diet not because it was best, but because it was the most cost-effective. Most died before the age of 30, so as far as the long-term consequences of their diet, we'll never know - a solid guess would be rampant diabetes.
  • spiffytiffyting1 October 2019
    Get it
    This movie really opened my eyes to the science behind a healthy diet. It is well-researched and cites numerous peer-reviewed journal papers. The arguments that the narrator presents for consuming a plant-based diet are clear, logical, and sometimes humorous. Watch it, and learn what going vegan can do for your health, your energy, your performance (in more ways than one), and your planet.