A British Crime horror movie.
Combining the British crime movie flavour of Snatch & Lock stock , The gangster cool of Reservoir Dogs and the Pagan cult horror of the Wicker man.
What Works :
- A great cold open, instantly sets the status quo. Effortlessly introduces the players and the tone of the movie.
- Great characters. Our protagonists our 2 gangster heavies , but the ooze charm and have great chemistry on screen . The dialogue is great and they actually come across as real people. To male friends in real life would totally break down in hysterics when a friend would get stuck in the mud, or trip down a hill. I was boought in to their characters.
- Builds tension. The first act is more a crime story whilst the third shifts to cultists supernatural horror . The change is tone and building of tension is great and the supernatural threat ramps up.
What doesn't work:
- The second act falls a bit flat and feels like it's treading water somewhat
- Overuse of CGI blood squibs
- Sadly the climax is a little weak, and doesn't make much sense , and thus is a bit of a let down. You can more or less see something like it happening, but thy take it one step further and just left me feeling perplexed.
Overall a solid and watchable gangster horror hybrid . Well worth your time