User Reviews (24)

• cockezville11 January 2019
    This is not the series to follow MOM., a funny show. This mess has literally no substance and tries too hard to be believable. The writing is sophomoric babble. Even Gary Cole ,who tries hard to uplift this from the doldrums of manipulated sound stage laughter, can't save this one. The teenage sister also earns a few laughs. Don't waste your time.
  • I wanted to watch this show when I saw Gary Cole was on it. What a mistake. This show is a horrible train wreck! Terrible acting,and cheesy, stupid, and predictable jokes. Nina Dobrev should not do comedy or I should say TRY comedy. The only reason this show has a chance of surviving is the fans that followed Nina Dobrev over to this mess from Vampire Diaries.
  • jjjbennett12 January 2019
    Blah
    Nina Dobrev has no comedic timing and her delivery is stale. The sister is better but she comes off as so sarcastic that it makes her unlikable. Come on CBS - your audience deserves better.
  • stehartley13 January 2019
    Canned laughter when a joke isnt funny spoils it from the off. Nina Dobrev just isnt funny ( feels like shes just reading from a script rather than delivering a punchline) love nina in other shows but comedy just isnt her forte.
  • tpf7311 January 2019
    I'll never get that 22 minutes back.. The jokes were really lame.
  • dsarosi12 January 2019
    So instead of a dysfunctional minority family, now every tired and over used cliche is applied to the white family. Why is this level of overt racism necessary in today's Hollywood shows, one direction or the other? Whatever agenda is behind this show, I can't see it making it even to the end of the first season.
  • ninja666411 January 2019
    A decent 1st episode of a new series which shows the potential to be a light & very funny comedy.
  • The first 6 minutes of the show made me want to reconsider giving this a try. I have never been hit with so much exposition in so little time. After that initial storm, the show picked up a little and delivered a few chuckle worthy moments. Those moments would have been more enjoyable if not for the laugh track. Yes, a laugh track in 2019. Laugh tracks are not a horrible thing, just dumb. Why add such a useless thing when so many others have done away with it and have been better of for it. The characters are another problem, especially how they were written. To say they were bland would be an understatement. After spending 20 mins with them I can only remember one name. I know, it might just be a bad first episode, but I just can't see the show getting past Season 1.

Overall I'd give it a 5/10 as it did bring at least SOME funny moments but has some significant improvements to be made in future episodes.
  • adxymox6216 January 2019
    I'm not sure about positive reviews the I see here? Is CBS planting their own glowing reports or something? This is just another tired comedy with a little a little twist of stale lemon .Please don't take my word for it, waste your own 30 minutes. I'm outie....
  • diegotolbert11 January 2019
    Funny, cute, sensitive. I'll watch it again. Gary Cole is perfect for his role.
  • jbwanzajr11 January 2019
    Looking forward to a long run of this show. Love supporting my fellow actors. I've worked with Nina and Tone is from the Hollywood of the south...
  • degaswilson11 January 2019
    This show was very cute and funny. I LOVE GARY COLE. He is perfect in this role.

And it was a nice surprise to see Sheryl Lee Ralph. And boy has she aged very well.

Looking forward to many episodes. I just hope CBS doesn't cancel.
  • It took approximately 5 seconds from the pilot episode starting and then that god awful "CANNED hah hah hah LAUGHTER" kicked in and I just knew this new comedy series would be a waste of time.

Within the first five (5) minutes of the pilot episode two lame jokes were attempted, one being referred to was a sarcastic misunderstanding of the acronymn STD's , and the other so-called joke stated "why would you want to bring some pot roast home when there is no pot?" Really??? No, I mean really??? At this point (10 minutes in to the pilot episode) I just had to look up who the (HORROR-able) writer of this series was credited and it is a lady named Corinne Kingsbury.

Funny,..... I never heard of Corinne Kingsbury before and her name may never be credited again as I am sure this new series will be quickly pulled before very long unless there are very deep pockets promoting this garbage. This FAMily is by no means memorable, nor is it funny. If I was sitting in an Emergency Hospital room waiting for my wife to be taken into surgery and this show was playing on the boob tube in the overhead TV in the hospital waiting room I would beg the nurses to please take me instead of my wife for surgery or TURN OFF that god awful non stop canned laughter eminating from Fam.

A paltry 3 out of 10 rating. ....and I actually like the actor(s) dad Gary Cole and the daughter Nina Dobrev, but please don't insult your "required" audience with this garbage.
  • Odessa Adlon and Gary Cole are hilarious! I laughed through the entire episode. The one-liners are fantastically scripted and their comedic timing is perfection. Added to my watch list. Cannot wait for the next episode.
  • wmlling19 January 2019
    At first I didn't think much of the theme, it seemed a bit cliché...but I got to watch the first episode and I found myself liking it, Nina was great enough despite her first time being on Sitcom ( better than I expected her to be as this was all new to her)..the rest of the cast particularly Odessa was great too...Gary Coles suits the role real well..!!! the second episodes even better....new series need time to develop and audience need time to embrace the character I believe...as I am getting to like it even more now..
  • alweston19 January 2019
    I like the mixed " fam" and especially love "Shannon". I see bright stars in the future. The show has potential, give it some time and a chance to develop. I see great chemistry within the cast. Refreshing!
  • I decided to read other reviews, just in case I was being too sensitive towards this new sit-com, however I find myself agreeing with every person who found it awful to watch. What's with the laugh-track? Ms. Dobrov been told to go "over the top" but all it does is make each character look like they're in a high school production. I really wanted this to be a smash hit, considering Gary Cole's my favorite. There's no way I'd ever believe that Ms. Dobrov was ever as wild as her younger sister. The soon to be mother-in-law is so over the top (making the writers deliriously happy) that I cannot wonder how she ever accepted being this character. Shameful.
    I like this show,a lot. The first ep dosen't made me laugh ,but made me smile. Ignore those 1-4 stars reviews. Every TV show has to have his haters ;)
  • The 1st episode was ok, not great, but ok, but what sitcom is good from the 1st episode. I didn't like How I Met Your Mother from the first episode, it actually took me 4 episodes till I started loving it, the same think happened to me with other tv shows too, TWO AND A HALF MEN, BIG BANG THEORY, FRIENDS and others. It takes a few episodes for a comedy truly get you. The 2nd episode was way better than the 1st, the series is starting to come together and I like that. I feel there's a lot of potential we'll see in the next episodes.
  • elishagorup19 January 2019
    I was surprised by some of the low ratings. I enjoyed the theme of this show and the characters. Tone Bell is spot on with his humor, and Nina Dobrev does a great job in comedy. There was one joke that fell flat, but I enjoyed the rest. I'm excited to see how the characters grow.
  • I really wanted this show to work. I wanted there to be solid material that made me laugh. The actors are great, but the writing just isn't doing it for me. The younger sister Shannon is definitely annoying. Shannon is able to crack ATM and WiFi passwords but can't work a microwave or dishwasher? Really? The sisters have a dad that works as a cop/detective but has to gamble to pay his bills? I really hate to say it, but the script is poorly written. I prefer to watch something funny and relatable, or least believable. Don't give us a tech genius that can't work a microwave or a dishwasher.
  • chrismallett-9025616 January 2019
    I recommend this show for anyone who is a fan of Nina Dobrev.
  • I wasn't sure about FAM, I watched the trailer and thought it was decent. I decided to give it a chance and watch the 1st epi. It wasn't bad but was it was great either. A few minor one liners are made about controversial topics i.e. dysfunctional families, drug users etc, but watching the show you can't take it seriously because it is a comedy and they do make light of it. So if you're sensitive to these subjects be aware. As for the actors, Tone & Odessa are really good! I've been a fan of Nina for years from watching her on TVD and although I think she's a great actress, for this I don't think comedy is her strong suit. I'll continue to watch S1 and see if it gets better because there is potential, but if not S1 is the end for me.
  • Do you need assisted suicide, but is it illegal in your state/country? Do you have a death-wish?

I didn't, really. Yet after 9 min and 27 sec of this garbage, I did. Luckily my will to live caused met to switch it off after 9 min and 28 sec.

I am fine now.

Thank you all for your well-wishes.