User Reviews (198)

• HadeelKouta26 September 2018
    Capharnaum - The Movie

Nadine Labaki always astonishes me with her work and this is actually my first time ever to write a review about a movie. But this... this is a masterpiece...

Capharnaum managed to stir my emotions, it awakened my mind to things we see on a daily basis but decide to ignore. It was a big slap in the face, to be honest. As I watched, I hated myself for having food and shelter. I hated the fact that I paid 14.000 LBPs for my own pleasure and enjoyment to watch a movie. I hated the fact that I bought a $1 worth of pop corn for $7. Why do I get to enjoy a three-hour movie whilst others need that money for a three-day food supply? For those who still haven't seen it, it's a story of a supposedly 12-year old boy who gets sued for stabbing a "son of a bitch" (as the boy, Zain describes him). It depicts the life of a typical Lebanese poor family, only if the word poor was enough. It portrays how they eat, how they dress, how they talk and behave and what they do for a living. It was so REAL that I thought it was actual footage from Zain's life. The movie also displays the life of an Ethiopian woman who has no permit and who was knocked up by some guy and gave birth to a baby she can barely support. Oh, speaking of the Ethiopian woman; I was meaning to mention, as soon as the movie starts, we see Zain at court and then we also see the Ethiopian, Tegist with tears in her eyes while waiting for Internal Security to call out her name. At this point I'm really curious as of what this is going to be about and some guy behind me makes a "funny" joke about the scene saying "oh, so the Ethiopian is the star of the movie?"... I don't know why but I thought I'd mention that because it left me in shock... we'll get back to that later.

Capharnaum addresses poverty, illiteracy, ignorance, cruelty, racism, unawareness and child abuse. On the other hand, it also addresses kindness, innocence, forgiveness and faith. It is just amazing how Zain worked so damn hard to support Tigest's baby all alone while his parents didn't have a care in the world for their own children. A 12-year old boy taking care of a baby was just so heartwarming and beautiful. Zain's personality is amazingly complex and in him one can touch awareness and illiteracy at the same time. Innocence and violence. Politeness and insensitivity. Good and bad. Love and hate. He had a vision, he had a message. His message was bigger than governments and countries. It was bigger than you and me. It was a message that we decide to laugh about instead of help spread. The message is simplified in one word: AWARENESS.

About the guy I mentioned earlier, lets hope he has learned something from the movie...

Lets make this movie our prayer before going to bed every night... Then, we could try and change the world to the better.

Nadine Labaki keeps on dazzling us with her great work... I can't wait for the next one. We, as Lebanese, are so proud of you. And the whole world should be. Much love.
  • This is what you call art. This is not just a movie, this is a story of the hardships of life told from the eyes of a beautiful boy.

Nadine Labaki out did herself by portraying the reality that most countries are going through in this time and age.

Do not believe the negative reviews. This is not at all about refugees, they do not even cover this topic in the movie. This is about survival in the toughest and most heartbreaking of situations.

This movie should be on everybody's watch list. It is tough at times, but that's life these days.

Watch it for the sake of the children like Zain.
  • karamcaline21 September 2018
    !
    To all the people who said this is a shameful representations of Syrians, you would know if you paid attention to the movie that the boy snd his family are actually Lebanese. Stop trying to bring attention to issues that are not even there in the first place. The movie is beautifully filmed and Labaki managed to capture so many issues present in our society (I say this as a Lebanese myself) in such a brilliant way.
  • It's almost like documentary, real honest raw emotions of unfortunate forgotten children in the world in any country with homeless or refugee kids
  • Labaki excels in creating a masterpiece that should harvest as many awards as it can, and hopefully the Oscar. It is a heart breaking story with amazing protagonists performance. No one can expects an amazing acting coming from a child and a toddler of such ages! Will Zein be nominated for an Oscar? No one can deny that he deserves it. Labaki directed a marvelous film revealing a great pure talent.

Seeing this many fake reviews here with 1 star rating reveals that these "reviewers" are manipulating the overall rating of the movie with an unfair score. Anyone who actually watched the movie will give it an above than average rating no matter his taste.
  • lea-bou77 November 2018
    This movie shows a lot of issues that we can find in Lebanon but also in a lot of other countries , it raises awareness of how bad life can get specially to young children . I hope that after watching this movie every single one of us will start to act in order to make this world a better place . Nadine Labaki did an amazing job because she showed the truth in a strong and realistic way . I also want to add that the kid is very talented he played his caracter in such a powerful way we could see pain in his eyes and it touched our heart and soul ! I recommend this movie it's a roller coaster of emotions !!
  • Just had the pleasure of viewing this film at the Sarajevo Film Festival. Absolutely incredible, powerful story of a handful of hapless, unlucky individuals navigating a cruel world. Right when the sadness of watching becomes too much, the despair relents only to draw you in for a deeper, darker ride. Not for the faint of heart. Incredible production. Thank you.
  • Capharnaum is the new precious gift to Lebanese cinema. Directed by Nadine Labaki and written by Labaki, Joelle Keserwani, Jihad Hojeily and Georges Khabbaz the movie follows the journey and the misery of a boy called Zain that led him to sue his parents for giving him life! The movie took years to finish with a total of 500 hours of rushes filmed! Shot in a "Cinema Realité" style without any professional actors and with a raw cinematography you're going to witness the dark side of the country, the unacceptable neighborhoods, the unfair life that poor children are facing. Everyone is absolutely well casted! Zain was the ultimate discovery a super talented boy, the Ethiopian maid was great also and even the real retired judge did a good job. Each actor is really telling his own personal story so you will arrive at a point where you couldn't differentiate if you're watching cinema, a written script or even a documentary. Wonderful job from Labaki and well deserved Jury Prize at Cannes! Thumbs up also to Khaled Mouzanar for giving us another remarkable score. The movie is nothing less than heartbreaking. As Truffaut freezed his last scene back in 1959 in "The 400 Blows" giving us some hope, the last shot of Capernaum will speak a lot...!
  • I have taken so long to review this film because it has had so much of an emotional effect on me. It was also the first film I saw at AFI Festival and since I was genuinely shocked at how bad the subsequent films I saw there, I decided to get those out of the way first.

Well, here I am, giving my review on the most heart-wrenching yet most beautiful film I have ever seen. The "acting" was absolutely extraordinary (standouts are from a young eleven year old boy and a one year old baby). The score from the director's husband happens to be one of my favorite pieces of music from the decade. The cinematography manages to take some of the most disgusting places in the world and manages to give it beauty, especially through the gorgeous landscape and aerial shots.

Coming from a Lebanese female director, Capernaum is a film that discusses a variety of issues, but I will try to make it as simple as I can. In the present day, our main character, eleven year old Zain is a boy currently serving a sentence for stabbing a man. Through certain circumstances, Zain is able to take a break from jail to partake in a court case against his parents, where he is attempting to sue them for ever having him in the first place and to urge them to never have kids again. Through a series of flashbacks, we get to see Zain suffering in his large family of about seven to eight, including sisters of all ages, and two horribly misguided parents. The parents struggle financially, forcing their children to work long hours and never partake in school. The parents also abuse Zain for being extremely rebellious in nature (think of Rebel Without a Cause) and they starve him a lot. There is a lot of family issues here, but over the course of the film, Zain experiences a journey of a lifetime, running away from home and trying to make a life for himself, living life on the streets. Regardless of the amount of suffering Zain goes through, he delivers an utmost love and care for everyone around him.

Capernaum is an extraordinary film that won my heart in every way. It depicts the harsh realities of the children living in squalor in Lebanon, and perhaps in all of the Middle East. Filmed as a narrative, Capernaum actually uses real life Syrian refugees and kids who were all going through extremely similar circumstances to the ones found in this film. The director and her husband were their following the screening, and they really emphasized how they spent 100s of hours in Lebanon, ensuring that they experienced the squalor themselves and the interviewed hundreds of children to get an idea of what life is like there.

The common theme: "I wish I never lived" or "I wish my parents never had me."

The director took those two most common statements and developed a powerful film that gives humanity to these children who need it most. Perhaps the themes of love and compassion amidst squalor and pain could be a guiding light to all the children who are suffering in the foster care system or are getting abused here in the United States as well. I just hope Capernaum spreads awareness to all people throughout the world that child abuse is still rampant throughout the world, and all children want to be is loved. All people want to be is accepted and have a home. All people just wanted to be treated like a *queues Tommy Wiseau's voice* human being.

Honestly, I am proud to say this is currently my favorite film of all time. At two and a half hours long, I was begging for more at the end. Bring lots of tissues, but also do not be afraid to let loose and laugh a little.

Regardless of all the positive reviews for Roma, I am going to be rooting for Capernaum to win Best Foreign Film at the Academy Awards. This experience changed my life, and I hope it does for you as well.

Fun Fact: The original cut was ten hours long.

Another fun fact: This received a 15 minute standing ovation at Cannes Film Festival, and it was well deserved.
  • Having watched the movie, i can now understand the 10 min standing ovation at Cannes! The movie is an absolute masterpiece. Mixed emotions all along. A must watch indeed!
  • HadeelKouta26 September 2018
    Capharnaum - The Movie

• tony-gerges22 September 2018
    The movie will destroy you and will change your look toward street beggers refugees and foreign house keepers
  • gharioscynthia21 September 2018
    Capharnaüm is one of the most raw, real, and brutal films that gives you the misery of this world in the face. Everyone need to watch it.
  • richard_massoud13 October 2018
    Lebanon
    Great film and should be nominated for the oscars 👍👍👍
  • ayamhmd26 September 2018
    I legit cried from the beginning to the end of the movie just to think that actual kids are suffering all this while we complain on stupid stuff, it's a real movie that made a huge difference in me, and brings up many questions to your mind. Extra ordinary movie
  • A moving epic film with a cute precocious kid? Check! A film designed to make me cry?- Check! Parents as the protagonists? Check! A film that entertained me and moved me? Yes? That's all I ask of this film. Why all the 1/10 reviews from do gooder film reviewers- "I work in Syria, blah blah blah" well a film about your life probably isn't entertaining. Stop questioning the political and economic motives and enjoy an entertaining and engrossing film with a fabulous cast- isnt that why we go to the theatre?
  • This movie was almost unwatchable for me at time because of its heartbreaking depiction of life on the streets of a big city. The scenes with the 12 year pulling around the infant in a big pot as he sought to provide for them both made me cry. There's so much pain in the world!
  • OMG. Zain and Yonas are movie miracles. The director succeeded in crafting them into natural actors. And the story ..... flowing like a strong current that carries you helplessly you can't do nothing but let go of everything. And Zain, how his energy infiltrated my being, I realized that I smiled when he also finally smiled at the end, that through the movie I became him. He is magic!
  • beainy23 September 2018
    Script , picture , cast , and the director did a very good job ...
  • This movie is so heartbreaking, so moving, so touching, that it makes you realize there is much more to poverty and misery than one can know. It has been a week since watching the movie and still, every time I think about it, I feel the sadness and compassion I felt as if I had just watches the movie. The movie is also funny at some points, which created a wonderful effect. The actors, who were actually making us live their daily lives of hardship, did a magnificent job, from Zein to Rahil and even little Yonas. And excellent job from Khaled the composer for the wonderful music thoughout the movie. In conclusion, Nadine Labaki beautifully crafted a movie from the heart, obtaining the well-deserved Jury Prize in the Cannes Film Festivals, and hopefully a nomination, and even a win (I do believe it actually has a chance) in the Academy Awards 2019.
  • This movie shows how hard is the lofe of the very poor people in the world, especiallh in the third world countries!
  • pop-helena21 July 2019
    The film does imply that it is not all parents' fault, that it has a lot to do with countries, governments and the world as it is, and none of you who wrote about exploitation of the topic can deny that there are real stories like that out there. And the awards? Who cares. They are not important. What's important is that people see this film. When a film gets either one star or ten, you know that it is something. All of you who gave it a one, you were irritated, weren't you? Indifference is a completely different story. And there were thankfully no indifferent people after watching this film.
  • veronikanemes12 August 2018
    An unusual but important topic, beautifully executed. Captures full attention from first minute till the last.
  • adisa-besirevic21 August 2018
    Emotional, great story, from tears to laugh, I love it!
  • atractiveeyes20 September 2018
    A beautiful decent important movie that sheds light on many social issues in a moving heartbreaking painful way. Although it's so sad and makes you cry a lot, it also makes you laugh at some points. Just typical Nadine Labaki style. Everyone needs to see this masterpiece.