User Reviews (748)

Ricky Gervais continues to surprise me. I know that he's very funny, with his own brand of humor that many people find offensive, but I like most of his stuff. And I think of him as a comedian - both as an actor and a writer/director. So every time he does something serious and thoughtful, I am amazed at the level of depth, humility and kindness he brings to his creations. "After Life" is the story of a man who just lost his beloved wife, and with her, the will to live. He probably would have killed himself immediately, if he didn't have a dog to take care of. So he manages to get out of bed every day, and lead an existence devoid of any shred of happiness or hope. He titters on the brink of death, yet doesn't cross the line; he manages to anger, but not completely alienate those closest to him. People annoy him, probably because they go on living despite the fact that his world has ended. Worst of all, he claims to not care about his own life to the point where he deliberately puts himself in harm's way, yet the only people that he's hurting by his behavior are the people who still care about him. I recently lost the person that I loved most in this world, and who loved me the most, and this show displayed so precisely all the feelings that I've been going through. All the terrible feelings and thoughts that you don't share with anyone, because they are too dark to put into words. I'm so grateful to Gervais for doing it for me. Now when someone asks me how I'm feeling, I can reffer them to this show.
  • Easily his best work since 'The Office', maybe even his best work. Poignant, funny, heart warming and beautifully acted. If you watch one thing this year make it this (clearly you won't just watch one thing but not matter how many it is, make sure After Life is included). It is 6 episodes of the most beautifully crafted television on a subject matter that has no right to be this funny. However, the humour is always tinged with sadness (and vice versa) and the balance between the two is perfect.

Just watch it and prepare to cry, laugh and maybe just put a little bit of perspective into your life.
  • I watched the show in one sitting. It is challeging. It makes you think with great humor. It has its dramas. It will make you almost cry while making you laugh. It's genius and I recommend you watch it if you think you are depressed or you see no point in life. And I guess it's greatest characteristic is that its honest.
  • My favourite line .......

"I'd rather be nowhere with her than somewhere without her"
  • Ricky Gervais knows how to make you laugh and ugly cry, sometimes together. I think this is my favorite of his series. He speaks right to the dark, sad, and angry part in all of us. He also shows us that everyone is beautiful.

The series is beautifully shot, the cast is fantastic and each character has a slow reveal from who they are in Tony's eyes to who they really are. It's beautifully done.

Only Ricky Gervais can pull off shows like After Life and Derek. I hope he gives us more.
  • Ricky Gervais does it again. Makes me laugh, makes me cry and makes me think! I rather have six brilliant episodes than 20 so and so!
  • I stumbled across After Life when I wasn't interested in anything on My List and I didn't care to Continue Watching anything either. I've never been married and I've never lost the love of my life, mainly because I haven't met them, but I have struggled with depression for years now and this past year has been a particularly hard battle. The portrayal of grief and depression I found to be very relatable, the story was told very realistically and the cast were brilliant. I particularly loved Anne and Daphne. Perfect show to binge watch and just allow yourself to feel all of the emotions and then share it with someone because nothing's as good if you don't share it.
  • From office to Extras to stand up to Xfm/Ricky gervais show. This is unlike anything I've seen from Ricky , a complete story told so true and heart breaking to watch at times. Very funny but u kinda laugh through the pain for most of it. Encapsulating watch. Well done again that man, class.
  • jameslazar9 March 2019
    Best thing Gervais has ever produced and the bar was set very high. Couldn't stop watching.
  • Binch-watched it in a few hours. It's brilliant, fresh and endearing. Makes you laugh and cry at the same time.
  • aly-pezzutti8 March 2019
    Amazing
    This is a really really good show, absolutely worth watching. Yeah it's heartbreaking at times but also incredibly funny and sweet. Ricky Gervais is a genius.
  • stivbag11 March 2019
    This is the first review Ive ever written, the first Ive ever felt compelled to write. This season follows a man whose heart was broken by the death of a loved one. At times it is uproariously funny, I laughed out loud whilst alone, which for me, is very rare. But the overall feeling I was left with was uplifting. Each of the characters are believable and someone that suffers from mental illness, I found a lot of what the protagonist was feeling was relatable. I know that Ricky Gervais is a polarising figure, but even if you're not a fan, I urge you to watch.
  • I watched the show in one evening, and now I'm gutted that its finished so I am watching it again. Its absolutely fantastic, I laughed, I cried, I was hooked from the first episode. you will be too, I can't recommend it enough
  • I just watched the entire thing in one go, and honestly think it's the best work he's ever done. Just brilliant.
  • Ricky Gervais may be a polarising personality but there is no mistaking his genius. Once again he's managed to tread the lines between comedy and drama so perfectly that it feels real and genuine. The Office was good but this is 100% more nuanced. With episodes around 30 minutes long it's just the right length to make you wanting more and means you can blitz the entire series in an evening.
  • frogsign-110 March 2019
    Having lost my husband last year, this series really hit me in the heart, but with enough humor to keep me watching. Gervais is a genius.

My only complaint was the language was pretty rough, but that is Gervais.
  • There is nothing bad to be said about this. Every actor is marvellous. The story, the caracters are just warm and so real.
  • Beautiful. I've been a fan of Gervais since the 11 o clock show so anything he does I pay attention to. This is like nothing he's done before but it's almost autobiographical as a lot of his views are in this script. As much as it's very funny a lot of the parts that made me smile were the sad things in life we never want to happen to us. It's so well scripted and acted the humanity is everything that makes it funny.
  • This show presents emotion at its rawest, I could relate to the emotions of the main character "tony". Ricky Gervais's acting is sublime and moved me in ways no other actor could.
  • This is an excellent return to form for Ricky Gervais whose earlier ventures weren't exceptional. After Life is about Gervais' quintessential middle-aged man who has lost his wife to cancer.

He struggles to cope with the loss and finds ways to hurt people around him. This would have been cringe-worthy in earlier shows of his, but here it comes across as poignant and very affecting.
  • fifa-947478 March 2019
    Great
    "You got takeaway?" "No it's drugs" 😂😂😂 Lol great show, very funny.
  • A wonderfully real take on how to carry on. Tony,a man who has lost his wife to cancer,starts to think "Why bother?" but as the series progresses we are given the answer to that very question. Supported by a strong cast,Gervais creates a perfect balance of humour and poignancy. The language may offend at times but it stays relevant to the context of the scene. I found myself laughing and crying,quite literally. Can not recommend enough.
  • I noticed Ricky Gervais has a new series on Netflix and decided to give it a go. I ended up watching all six episodes and was mightily impressed. "After Life" is by turns laugh out loud funny, black as pitch, ridiculously silly and intensely moving. It is the story of recently widowed Tony and his attempts to deal with almost unbearable grief. Not the most promising of ideas for a sitcom you might think but Gervais (writer, director and star) has crafted a beautifully pitched work that had me laughing uncontrollably one minute and sobbing my heart out the next. It is rich with the absurdities of existence that make life so joyful, painful and precious. If you can, go and watch it now. An extraordinary and beautiful piece of work.
  • DK749 March 2019
    Ricky Gervais has pulled off something truly amazing with After Life. Watching this show was brilliant. It will make you laugh and cry, in some scenes at the same time. Many viewers will find that they can relate to the main character and some of the other characters in the series as well, we all have or know people like these in our lives. The series is brilliantly done, heart warming, laugh out loud funny yet desperately sad at times. I watched all 6 episodes in one sitting. Highly recommended.
  • AznMooVLovr11 March 2019
    This a a touching, brilliant story by Ricky Gervais and this is his best work ever, better than The Office.

Ricky, I hate you because you're not only one of the funniest comedians around but you write this incredible story of a man who discover life again after a devastating loss. Your talent is just boundless!