User Reviews (66)

• Well done with great commentary with excellent experts.
  • This documentary was always going to stand or fall on the portrayal of Grant and credit must be given to the Casting Directors Suzanne Smith & Bonnie Rodini for casting the criminally underused JUSTIN SALINGER. While Salinger might not be the perfect lookalike, it was clearly far more important to cast an actor capable of playing the many subtle nuances and complexities of the man and Salinger does a superb job here with his performance of Grant and I felt he was closer to the man than anyone to have portrayed him previously. While praising the actors, I am also going to single out the young man who played the Union private in the first episodes excellent opening sequence, ARTHUR FALKO - Again, extremely good casting, it was as if this one individual was wearing the entire history of the war on his face in those opening moments. Anticipation, fear, dread and later bravery and valour. I expect to be seeing a great deal more of him on our screens in future.

The series format jumps from documentary commentary and anecdotes from various historians and it was nice to see dialogue offered from both a male and female black historian on the man and the conflict in which he fought. This was a war over which the issue of slavery was key, so it felt quite right too and made this aspect of the series, far more interesting to watch than just having the usual older generation historian faces chipping in their valulable, but rather well worn comments.

The most engrossing segments of the show however are the dramatic segments and it was these and Salingers performance that kept me engaged in the show.

While I would have perferred to see a straight up drama mini series about the man without any of the historical commentary, this never the less is an extremely well made piece covering the life and motivations of one of the most equally loved and hated Commanders of the Civil War. I found it both educational and enligtening. Despite the more restrictive budget for a peroid piece the drama scenes are extremely well handled and critism by armchair historians about drill and uniforms are poorly founded. The uniforms are authentic, the drill of the early Union army appropriately poor in the early episodes, as was the army's state at this time. People need to remember, just because you read something in a book, doesn't make it a verbatim mode of action for every individual. War is complex, conscripted soldiers are not veterans, nor at first a professional army. It would be some time before the Union became one.

It would be great to see more in the series in a similar fashion. This was very enjoyable and I hope will engage a younger audience in the subject. That is the most important thing of all. The youth are, after all, the best hope for keeping history alive in the future.
  • The input from historians and facts made this a new introduction to Grant as a person. Much of which I didn't know. Really enjoyed it.
  • Sheesh, yes, there are commercials. If you liked Washington, you will like Grant. Unbelievable the amount of bad reviews solely because of commercials. Please review the content. Not the ads. If we negatively judged cable shows based on commercials breaks, I don't think there would be a single "good" show.
  • This is what the History Channel needs more of. These deep dives into small but important figures and parts of history. This is also an excellent part of history that is not overly covered.
  • I found the first night interesting enough to make me download Grant's autobiography. It covers a lot of ground but like many shows can't get real deep in a few hours (especially with commercials). Use your DVR to watch uninterrupted. I'm happy for these historical biographical shows- I doubt anyone is getting any of this in school much anymore, especially in any depth.
  • The six hour miniseries is best taped, so one can zip past all of the commercials, and learn about Ulysses S. Grant and his role in American history and how he won the Civil War and presided over Reconstruction, an experiment in democracy that went badly wrong. It is not hard to imagine that had Lincoln not been assassinated, history might have turned out much differently with Grant playing a more winning hand than he was dealt. The series pulls no punches in dramatizing just what a horror the Civil War was and the tremendous losses on both sides. When Grant successfully participates in the Mexican American War of 1848, alongside other officers who would soon work for him and against hime, his career seems on an upward trajectory, but he get sidelined into an obscure post in Fort Humboldt California with nothing to do, and he becomes melancholy, and turns to drinking, which forces his commanding officer to force Grant to resign. He returns to civilian life and does poorly, until the Civil War breaks out and he is given a commission once again to lead a regiment as a brigadier general. From there it is mostly one successful battle at a time, until he is promoted to major general and given command of all of the western army. From there he successfully launched a successful attack in the heart of the south at Vicksburg, with some of the most brilliant strategic maneuvers in the history of armed warfare. For that he gets promoted to three star general and put in command of the entire Union Army. Aside from a couple of notable failures, one a major defeat at Cold Water Virginia, Grant eventually corner's Lee's Army of Northern Virginia while General Sherman takes Atlanta, thus forcing a surrender at Appomatic. A major triumph is followed one week later by the assassination of Lincoln and history makes a major course correction. Andrew Johnson is a southern sympathizer and thwarts every attempt by Grant to take control over southern whites who are slaughtering freed slaves. Not until Grant becomes president, can he put a stop to this and put down the KKK. Grant as president though, because of his lack of guile, is undermined by subordinates who are corrupt, and America is by now tired of the reconstruction efforts in the south. When Grant leaves office, the KKK is on the rise again and reconstruction is basically a failure which has lasting repercussions to this day. Grant's image is later tarnished by southern historians who attempt to rewrite the history of the Civil War by painting it as a states rights issue and not about slavery. Grant comes accross as a villain. This miniseries tries to put this story right and to a large extent it succeeds. Grant is one of those great leaders who is about as straightforward as they come. His only apparent weakness is in sticking with subordinates who didn't deserve his trust, and he made some political moves as president that were regretful like not stamping down the KKK once and for all. The comments from historians throughout the series were very helpful and insightful. The acting was accomplished and the war scenes were realistic. This was a very worthwhile effort to try and put the record straight about Grant.
  • trudjoh27 May 2020
    I am an amateur student of history but have always found any discussion of Grant and the western campaigns to be lacking. This has filled in so many gaps for me. I do agree with too many commercials but I record and fast forward so I can rewatch and learn. As for the rest of the reviews. I find most viewers to suffer from a terrible lack of imagination. I don't care to have exact likenesses if they are close enough to invoke the period. The visuals if the battles were excellent. The comments on uniforms were interesting since by this time most soldiers were battleworn. The point to this was to educate on US Grant and it did that. Bravo!! Grant's views on slavery and the value of men were refreshing. I think I would have liked him except for the smell of cigars!!
  • Released in 2020, "Grant" is a three-part miniseries based on historian Ron Chernow's 2017 book of the same name. Without commercials, this is a 4-hour film that's part dramatic reenactment featuring Justin Salinger in the lead role and part documentary with a diverse cast of erudite and interesting commentators.

Ulysses S. Grant has been descibed as "an inspired commander, an adequate president, a dull companion and a roaring drunk." I take issue with that last description. Grant might've had an issue with alcohol, but that doesn't make him a "roaring drunk." I know real-life drunkards and they waste their lives sitting around looking for their next drink, accomplishing very little. Drunks don't lead the biggest military force on Earth and win battle-after-battle, as well as the great war itself. Nor are they able to lead a country the size of the USA for eight years and have a successful marriage & family that overcome great challenges over & over.

This might be my favorite Civil War movie of all time, as good or better than the best you can cite, like "Ride with the Devil" (1999), "Glory" (1989), "Cold Mountain" (2003), "The Horse Soldiers" (1959) and "Gods and Generals" (2002). "Grant" is the best cinematic source to understand the big picture of The Civil War, especially as far as the Union's strategy to victory. For instance, what was the purpose of the Battle of Shiloh? If it was a Union victory, why did reporters lambaste Grant as an incompetent drunk and why was he demoted? After crossing the Mississippi, why did Grant go east to fight two battles and capture Jackson, Mississippi, BEFORE going to Vicksburg? What was the strategic value of the Battle of the Wilderness? Petersburg and Cold Harbor?

The reanactments are realistic with utterly savage battle scenes. This is what it was like, folks. War is hell. Thankfully, the film doesn't end with Lee's surrender at Appomattax, but goes on to address Grant's final 22 years of life as President during Reconstruction, his wide travels, tragedies and finishing his memoir 3 days before passing away.

GRADE: A
  • I didn't have a lot of expectations going into this, but I hoped since the History Channel was showing it the content would be factual. It is, and much more, it is interesting, compelling, and uses both modern actors and period photos. I am do impressed I've ordered the Chernow biography of Grant. Grant seems to have been born for the task of saving the nation. He went to West Point with most of the other high ranking officers on both sides and had the ability to know what they would do and effectively counter it. He not only fought the war, he also fought the incompetence of his superior officers, and his erroneous reputation as being an alcoholic. This miniseries does an excellent job of dealing with all aspects of his life, in a very short 3 parts. It could easily have been double and I would have watched it. I highly recommend it.
  • drjgardner26 May 2020
    The first episode in this series is pretty good. There are a few historical mistakes and a little more psychological input might have helped, but all-in-all it was entertaining and informative. Grant is the only reason we won the Civil War and it's time he got some attention.

I saw the other 2 parts of the series after I wrote the above. Parts 2 and 3 are even better. Definitely a must-see.
  • Justin Salinger is em remarkable. The acting and commentary is wonderful and I so enjoyed this miniseries!! Can't wait for more! I also enjoyed immensely the George Washington miniseries. I really love the History channel!
  • denverlev26 May 2020
    Due to all the complaints about the amount of commercials I'm glad I set my DVR for this. Next week I'll watch all 6 hours in about 4.
  • AWESOME Miniseries!! Congrats to cast and crew! This show should be up for multiple awards. Watch on history if you missed it. It's SPECIAL and will change your perception of a Great Man, General and President!

The mix of historians and scenes was Excellent. It game the emotion and feelings of the man, his struggles and successes. This miniseries should be used by schools and universities. Incredibly well done!!
  • As they did with the miniseries Washington, History Channel does it again with Grant. This series really takes you into the cracks and crevices of Ulysses S. Grant to which you learn so much about this man. Justin Salinger is absolutely moving as one of our greatest generals of all time. History always taps the most perfect actor to do these American legends justice. Whether you agree with some of the historic interpretations of these events, you cannot deny that Grant was a truly remarkable man, General and President.
  • Glad to see the History Channel producing more content related to critical events that have occurred in the U.S.. Thank you.

There are a few minor inaccuracies, however, a good job boiling a large, complex subject into a four hour mini-series. I was very pleased to see the diverse range of historians and experts participate and hope to see more collaborative projects such as this one.

Like Grant, America is amazingly flawed yet, possesses a good heart and is willing to learn from mistakes and try to put things right for everyone living in the present and our children to come.

I do hope that Spielberg, directing, and DiCaprio, as U.S. Grant, collaborate on a major motion picture in the near future as brilliant as "Lincoln".
  • Perfectly done with a mix of historians and live action. Perfect cast with great story progression.
  • It is high time that this great American receives the recognition he richly deserves. There would be no USA as we know it if it were not for Grant and the men he appointed to serve under him, like Sherman and Sheridan. Slavery in America may well have lasted into the 20th century were it not for his military brilliance. He accepted the surrender of three Confederate armies in the field, with the last one effectively ending the war. As president, he supported Reconstruction and the 14th and 15th Amendments were passed. As was noted in the series, he was our first "civil rights president." Like Lincoln, he rose from a very humble background to the pinnacle of greatness, and like Lincoln, he was not egotistical and impeccably fair and honest. Of course, time constraints, exacerbated by the many commercial breaks, resulted in the glossing over of many important aspects of his political and military careers as well as his private life. I would have liked to have seen some reference to his strong support for public schools and the separation of church and state. He was opposed to taxpayer support of religious schools and was unchurched right up to the moment of his death. But what was included was accurate, including his suppression of the KKK and his heroic battle against throat cancer as he raced to finish his Memoirs. Kudos to the History Channel for this series!
  • The overuse of long commercials gets annoying but overall a great informative documentary. Is somewhat biased towards the North but it's fine. Great show really enjoyed it
  • This is an excellent, historically accurate, series about one of America's greatest generals. It is what the History Channel was, and should be instead of the garbage they usually have been showing for the past several years. I highly recommend it. And, come to Clermont County Ohio and visit Grant's birth place and in Brown County visit his childhood home.
  • Given the amount of research done on Grant and his own memoirs this could have easily been several actual seasons and not lost any pacing. I'm glad the History Channel didn't throw in any of their more recent wackiness and gave us a almost straight up history. Some of the blood spurts in battle reenactments were a bit over the top, beyond realistic to the point of being slasher-film like. Grant's presidency is also given very little air time, even though he was president twice as long as he was a general in the army. But overall even if you have just a passing interest in history this will keep your attention and maybe even educate you on one of the greatest Americans.
  • Fairly thorough coverage of the subject . I liked the mix of recreation interspersed with a wonderful commentary by a variety of experts in the field. This resulted in very well developed analysis of the topic. Well done, interesting and entertaining production.
  • I just read Grant's memoirs, so I was so glad this production aired at this time. Through reading Grant's memoirs, I realized many new things about the Civil War. I was amazed at his memories of everything and all the battles fought. His memoirs and this documentary really brought home what a terrible war this was. This show was done very well. I loved Justin Salinger's portrayal of Grant. The history channel also aired a program called "Lee and Grant". It was excellent also.
  • This is the perfect program for now. Imagine today's flailing West Pointe graduates (pantywaists) in DC living up to Lincoln, Grant or Lee standards. What a joke. Now I can rewatch the FRONTLINE programs on all three heroes plus a couple of other great films. Too many commercials everywhere, yes, but don't miss this program. More please, History Channel! Thank you. 🙏🏻
  • kingsamzilla28 May 2020
    Overall a pretty good and enjoyable to most people. The actors and historians telling the story make it very enjoyable to watch. The music also helps add to the situation in the war. The documentary also just fun to watch and i looked forward to seeing it every night with my father. Even though i love history I've never really bothered to read about Grant but this has peaked my interest in his story. I'm sure hardcore Civil War buffs could point out how some uniforms are wrong or some other detail they missed. But in my opinion this series was mainly made to get people who may not have even heard of Ulysses S. Grant to hear what an amazing story he has. The other thing many people have been complaining about was how many Ads where in the show, and to be fair this is kinda a problem in general, and although it didn't bother me to much i can totally see someone being upset at that. But The show is still Well made, Informative, and above all else, Fun.