This was a relatively average Christmas movie with most of the usual festivities.

As far as chemistry, there was more between Madison and the kids than her and Gage.

In the title I say it went downhill and it did just before the climax starting with the rival's (Rachal's) "he's mine" speech and right into Madison's sudden misgivings and her attempt to change everyone's mind. That sequence was clumsy and I wanted to speed ahead (but I didn't).

The ending was nice and made some recovery.

Edit added after second viewing: I thought the chemistry between Mabius and Finnigan was great in a witty banter and flirting style. Mabius tends toward the unemotional male as epitomized in his Signed, Sealed, Delivered character. Yet you can see his attraction developing. Finnigan also has a way with characters that hide their emotions but always has a comeback in her dialogue which leads to excellent flirting. In that sense, I thought they were well cast.
  • cindi-3440213 December 2018
    Though the Hallmark movies churned out every year now are pretty predictable, the chemistry and banter between the romantic leads were better than the norm.
  • No one plays blonde better than Jennifer Finnegan. She has an infectious smile. Great smiling eyes. Eric Mabius played his role to perfection. His comedic timing and delivery is unmatched. Use him more. The supporting cast were all believable. Yes, Hallmark makes a lot of movies. Yes, some are better than others. Have you watched Christmas movies on other channels?? You'd think it was any other day of the week. Yep, mushy feel good marshmallow monotony. THANK GOD. still THE best channel on cable. Keep it up Hallmark. I'll keep watching. This is a well written movie, well directed with great photography.
  • Ms. Finnegan is always fun to watch. Besides her beauty, her facial expressions are priceless. Of course, Eric Mabius is always fun to watch. I just would rather see him in a new Postables movie. Hallmark, make it happen!
  • Lauraasnyd13 December 2018
    I read the book Trouble with Christmas of which this movie is based. It's totally different story with the same names and similar silly situations. I'm bummed
  • Review Date 8/1/2019

I have Reviewed OVER 600 "Christmas Films, & Christmas Television Movies , & Television Specials". Please BEWARE Of films and specials with just one review! For instance When "It's a POSITIVE" chances are that the reviewer was involved with the production. "If its Negative" then they may have a grudge against the film for whatever reason. I am fare. I am on a mission to watch every Christmas Movie ever produced. Since 2014 I average 100 per year.

Resort developer Madison Lane (Finnigan) is tasked with finding a location for a new ski resort. While she's prepared to recommend the resort be placed in Mountain Park, her boss tells her to take a trip to Christmas, Colo., to consider the location and the incentive package they're offering. On her way into town to meet with the mayor, Madison has a minor fender-bender with the town's welcome sign. Town Sheriff Gage McBride (Mabius) gives Madison a ride into town so she can attend the meeting while the car is towed and repaired. Little does Madison know that the town is on a mission to convince Madison that Christmas is the best place for the new ski resort. While stranded, Madison grows to love the community and the spirit of Christmas that runs throughout. Is a resort really the right move for Christmas? Or would the town be better off keeping its charm and traditions intact? Starring Eric Mabius and Jennifer Finnigan.

I am not sure what Eric Mabius job was as a producer but if he had anything to do with getting "Susan Hogen" a decent part then bravo.

I love the fact that this Hallmark movie let many people shine. The film is a joy and captures that holiday feeling
  • benny170024 December 2018
    I can't believe the reviews I'm reading. This movie is incredibly bad. There's no excuse for a movie to be so bad. I can't think of a single positive thing to say about it except that it ended.
  • I am someone who can understand the value of the marshmallow- gooey nonsense that is hallmark. These movies have a light-hearted, happy ending one enjoys in a messed up and cold world of December. However this one was a bit too heavy on the poor acting, and poorly written dialogue. I honestly couldn't pay much attention to the movie because the camera work in this film was so bad it looked like a 12 year old did it. I expect more of a big company like Hallmark, yes, even for them to put out 23 new Christmas Movies every year- more than 4 should be of good quality.
  • Love Eric Mabius need a better woman Lead Jennifer Finnigan so bland and boring.Susan Hogan is great the man that plays Mayor good too .cute story but classic cookie cutter being raised by an aunt parents killed in car wreck hallmark you need better writers and story lines rating 8 because of Eric and Susan
  • It was nice to see a little different spin from some of the Hallmark format because the sheriff has two daughters. Movie is enjoyable and worth watching
  • It was not easy telling whether 'Welcome to Christmas' was going to be good or whether it was going to be bad when first hearing of it, reading the plot synopsis and seeing the advertising. The story did sound interesting if not with much to make it unique and it didn't look too bad. Even the mixed response to the film didn't put me off and actually made me intrigued, to see which side of liked it or hated it my opinion would fall on.

Watching 'Welcome to Christmas' as part of my recent Christmas film quest (something that was very much necessary after a tough time), it was for me on neither extreme of brilliant or terrible and found myself neither loving or hating it. If anything my opinion is somewhere in between and am actually pretty conflicted on what my stance is. With there being a fair share of good things but also an equal number of things that didn't work. Can totally understand the mixed response here.

There are good things in 'Welcome to Christmas'. The scenery is lovely and quite picturesque at its best. The music had an affectionate festive atmosphere and had me smiling and humming along, as good music should do. There are moments that amuse and others that are quite sweet.

Did think that the first half is better than the second half, with 'Welcome to Christmas' starting off very promising and there was a nice little twist that wasn't obvious to me at first. Eric Mabius is a very charming lead with great comic timing, and of the quite solid supporting cast Susan Hogan and Sarah Edmondson fare best.

For my tastes, Jennifer Finnigan plays her role too much like the coldest of fishes. Didn't ever find myself warming to her or Madison as a character and Madison's development in the second half didn't ring true because Finnigan's acting felt so cold and disconnected (my opinion though). Also agree that there is very little chemistry between her and Mabius, what little there was would not even thaw the thickest snow and it was hard to believe what Gage saw in Madison.

Moreover, while the first half was promising the latter stages are predictable and clumsy from being more complicated than necessary. This is especially true in a redemptive arc that is too suddenly introduced and rushed through in near throwaway fashion. The dialogue had some amusing and sweet moments but also a good deal of awkwardness and an uneasy mix of cheese and schmaltz. Other than the scenery, 'Welcome to Christmas' doesn't look particularly good with some very sloppy editing.

Overall, alright and not one of the worst Christmas films by any stretch, but nothing exceptional here and nowhere near being one of the best. A very in between 5/10
  • nananow13 December 2018
    I love Jennifer Finnegan but this was not her strength. She is not giggly, coy or flirty. Her strong suit is up front and straight forward. No chemistry with actors. And the sisters hair; seriously?
  • dfvalent-9871422 January 2019
    I love Eric Mabius. The co-star, not so much. She seems uppity in every movie she's in. I only see her relaxed around the kids in this one, and even that seems a bit forced. The plot is boring, and that's saying a lot for a Hallmark movie (which I watch a lot of). The main stars have no chemistry. And, lastly, the camera work seems shoddy. This was a miss.
  • No chemistry between the lead characters or likeability. This movie did not work. please hallmark channel do better then this !!
  • smilingbecs29 December 2018
    This movie dragged on and every emotion seemed very forced. There was zero chemistry between the two leads.
  • Hallmark sticks with formulaic template and this is no different. However, it does have a comedic element that works for it. It is the saving grace for this movie. Woman decides to scope out another location for a ski resort and would not really want to do it. The sheriff unbeknownst to this woman is close to the welcoming party who don't know her true intent. She obviously spews a lot of hatred for this mission and reveals to the sheriff. My question is who does that? Blabbing your mouth off. Very tacky and unprofessional for her.
  • When you do twenty plus movies for Christmas some are goind to the filler. This movie is one of the fillers. It was okay, but I did not see the Chemistry between the leads. I thought the plot was overly complicated but did appreciate the twist ( a very little twist) at the end. Though as a business decision that was a really poor one for the company because it could never work. I enjoyed watching it one time this year, but I will not be looking for its return in next year.
    Sometimes to judge a film ahead of choosing to watch it, or not, it helps to know some of the details of the story and characters, and not just the opinions of reviewers -- so you can make up your own mind. Resort developer Madison Lane (cute Jennifer Finnigan) is tasked with finding a location for a new ski resort. Her preference is for the resort to be placed in Mountain Park, a big developed town with a shopping mall and much more. But her boss tells her to take a trip to Christmas, Colorado, a small hill town, to consider the location and the attractive incentive package they're offering. He thinks it could be cheaper to develop in a smaller town, and when the new ski resort boosts the town economy, the resort would benefit from the town's growth. On her way into town to meet with the mayor, Madison skids on some ice and knocks over the town's big Welcome sign, featuring Santa and the town's slogan, "Santa's favourite place, after the North Pole". (The town used to have a different name, but as its home-grown Christmas events grew, the residents voted to change the name to "Christmas". However, the economic downturn, and the closure of a major business in the town has meant that it can no longer afford municipal Christmas events - in fact, these have not occurred for many years.) Town Sheriff Gage McBride (rugged-looking Eric Mabius), a widower with two daughters, an enthusiastic pre-teen (pixyish Payton Lepinski, who played tragic Jonbenet Ramsey in Lifetime's "Who Killed Jonbenet"), and a grieving surly early teen (Lauren McNamara), gives Madison a ride into town so she can attend the meeting while the car is towed and repaired. Little does Madison know that the town is on a desperate mission to convince Madison that Christmas is the best place for the new ski resort. The town committee welcoming Madison spontaneously tell her she must stay to see the Grand Lighting of the Town's Christmas Tree and Town Square Lights, and invite her to be the one to press the big button. This forces the town community to rush to procure a tree, and collect as many Christmas decorations as possible from individual families. Eventually the town square is decorated - Madison remarks that the decorations are diverse and look like families' decorations, and Gage replies that this is the home-town touch that makes the Christmas display so special. A succession of other suddenly revived town Christmas events repeat this, nicely, including a Christmas ornament hunt, that is enhanced by Madison's own suggestion that the ornaments should have small discounts for local stores as part of the prize in the hunt. And there is the town's carol singing, which Madison also joins in, and enjoys. Along the way, another narrative and emotional complication is that Gage is considering whether to take a career-promotion and move to Denver. His aunt (Susan Hogan), who has come to live with his family and help fill in for his wife, is keen for Gage to find a new partner. His wife's best friend (sultry Sarah Edmondson) is also discretely interested in Gage. While stranded in the town (the auto repair shop concocts reasons for parts not being delivered, and later, as she gives positive reports on the town's Christmas events, her boss orders her to stay longer, and be more involved), Madison grows to love the community and the spirit of Christmas that runs throughout. She also helps Gage's teenage daughter switch from being cynical and touchy to being friendly and more cheerful, while the younger daughter is just ebullient all the time - and her enthusiasm is infectious for Madison! The light-hearted activities take a darker turn when the would-be girlfriend, the best friend of Gage's wife, reveals the news that, as she thinks, Gage is going to abandon the town and move to Denver. Somehow this is resolved positively, without rebounding on the would-be girlfriend, who had acted selfishly, and resentfully, but did not mean to be malicious. Eventually hard decisions have to be made. Certainly the people of Christmas think they want the ski resort development, but is adding a big new ski resort really the right move for the charming small town? Or would the town be better off keeping its family and community Christmas traditions unspoiled, and building on that in a natural way? Madison is torn. The Christmas community want the town to prosper, yet Madeline is reluctant to ruin it by over-development. But ultimately this is a Hallmark Christmas movie and, aided by some unexpected plot twists, there are satisfyingly logically, and emotionally happy endings all around!
  • I love Eric Mabius in Hallmark's Signed, Sealed, & Delivered movies so I had high hopes for this one! Jennifer Finnigan is the female lead and I know her from something, but I just can't put my finger on it!

This was an ok movie. Eric Mabius should never have his hair slicked back again. He looked skeevey, think used car salesman & he was the town sheriff in this caper. Finnigan as Lane comes to town to prospect for a company looking to build a resort.

I appreciated the minor storylines & touches the moments Lane has with each of the kids. But overall it was just subpar at the finest moments!
  • lursaandbetor29 December 2018
    Sorry, but part of the Hallmark Christmas fantasy world should be gorgeous actors. Most of the actresses have been pretty, with the exception of the cookie contest themed movie a couple years ago. Some of the leading men have been dogs. The makeup department should tape his years back, or add a wig & shave his gnome beard! Not only that, they're running out of material, all Hallmark movies seem to be in small towns lately. Hallmark Christmas movies are going downhill. If this is going to be their norm, they should make less than 27 per season, instead Hallmark should be focusing on production quality, writers & storylines, and casting the actors and/or makeup dept.
    Christmas movies on Hallmark are schmaltzy, they're predictable, they're feel good movies - this movies was as formulaic as they come. Successful businesswoman comes to small town to check it out for big resort meets local sheriff and his kids, blah blah blah.

The thing is, there was NO chemistry between the couple that I saw. Yeah, she fell in love with the kids, but where was the OMG they're in love moment?

There are dozens of Hallmark movies that I have watched over and over and they are heartwarming, feel good, christmassy, and they make you believe in love.

Skip this one - it's no Christmas Card, Operation Christmas, etc etc.
  • editing_budgie10 December 2018
    Fun performances and it moves at a nice clip. Editing is god-awful though, almost makes on seasick.
  • 5/10 - not an overly enthralling Christmas feature
  • Madison Lane (Jennifer Finnigan) is pitching a ski resort development but a company rival insists on keeping a town called Christmas as a possible site. Madison is forced to visit Christmas. When she crashes her car, the town contrives a scheme to keep her there and put on a showcase for Christmas. Town Sheriff Gage McBride (Eric Mabius) reluctantly plays along.

It's a Hallmark Christmas romance and it's based on a book? I didn't know they do adaptations. The premise is a little better than most Hallmark efforts. The writing isn't much better. The main couple needs a much better meet cute. Finnigan is game but Mabius is a bit dull. This is fine for Hallmark but I wouldn't want it for anybody else.