• You can see the love and craft in every frame of this movie. There were certain characters I would like to have seen more of, but I understand the constraints. The way it renders autism is very humanistic and he film does a really great job of bringing the viewer into this world. I saw it at the Hot Docs online and really wish I could have seen it on the big screen It reminded me of another film I saw at Sundance a few years ago called Notes on Blindness which does a phenomenal job of 'seeing' the day to day of what a blind person's life could be like in an extraordinary way.
  • jstapp-566-9715993 February 2020
    This movie was stunning and impressive. I just saw it at Sundance and everyone walked out uplifted and overwhelmed. It's a must see.
  • A story about people with autism does not necessarily need to be narrated by someone with autism. But if the narrator speaks in the first person about the challenges of living with autism and they don't actually have the condition, it detracts from the story.
  • Through understanding and listening to people, allowing them to communicate in their own way, we can all move towards better awareness, compassion and work towards ending misunderstanding and mistreatment. Many need to learn to look beyond external difference and see that there is a whole human being, with thoughts, emotions and as much of a right to fulfilling life as any other. I do wish though, that David Mitchell had stayed behind the scenes. Naoki Higashida's message is strong, it doesn't need to be 'neurotypical-splained'. There is enough domination of discussion of autism by parents of autistic children, sidelining actually autistic people who are able to share our own experiences.
  • This starts a little slow, but once we meet the British family, it quickly becomes maybe the great autistic POV film ever made, one that will forever change how I think about the autism community. The spelling boards were mind-blowing...though I suppose my inspired astonishment at it serves as proof of my (and, I imagine, many other's) ignorance about autism. As the film says: "Neurotypicals are rubbish at understanding anything that isn't neurotypical."